Posted byMD-PhD-MBA1 month ago

The World’s First Space Mining Program Launches in Colorado

Dope. Colorodo's going to be known for space mining school.

Yep, those two things

space and mining school?

First sentence

Oh I get it, dope and space mining school.

Close, space dope mining school.

Space dope? Where can I get some of that?

In space, after you take a space mining course in colorodo.

Colorado's mining dope now?

Gerard O'Neill built one in 1976 at Princeton University, my mom worked for him. Her office for a while was next to the machine shop, which was insane. Terraforming Mars, mining asteroids and the moon, O'Neil took it from science fiction to beta back then.

Did they actually accomplish anything?

Yes, we're currently mining Lithium and Titanium on Mars and Titan.

Thats a pretty cool fact no one really knew.

14 points · 1 month ago

Something something unobtanium joke. Something something spice joke.

Something something Belter joke

Something something funky haircuts joke.

And so it begins... the commodification of space.

I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad thing, either. We need investment to bring down costs, and we need costs brought down to grow investment.

Somebody build me a goddam space elevator !

You’re summing it up perfectly. Good, with some bad.

And yes, Space elevator. We need something straight out of Makeb from SWTOR.

Eh, Space elevator is kinda beyond us technologically. But, there have been studies that may seem to indicate that the reusable rockets boom could actually lead to lower $:Weight ratio than even Elevators could provide.

Don't want to close my eyes I don't want to fall asleep Cause I'd miss you, baby And I don't wanna miss a thing

Isn't there a law that states that space cant be "owned"?

No nation can claim sovereignty over stellar bodies. Doesn't mean companies can't snag them and mine them. There are a lot of laws that need to be ironed out for this though.

Wouldn't international waters type laws apply? We can own it but it free game basically?

I am not a space lawyer. I would imagine so though. Hi Steve wait until the pioneers get slaughtered and money starts coming in. Then you'll see how fast power and politics show up.

A new Wild West.....Savage Space.

So space pirates?

2 points · 1 month ago

There is a lot of space about. Mining it seems prudent.

Seems strange that they will be handing out degrees for something no one has ever done, it will all be theory until the first company actually starts mining and find out what works and what doesn't. Probably best to stick with the standard stem degrees and go from there.

Sounds great, all the advantages of strip mining interstellar bodies with ought having to care about environmental factors.

Strippers with stellar bodies mining space dope? Count me in

I bet it's just a pipe dream. They're all high in that place.

-1 points · 1 month ago

So that’s where all of that weed money went; space mining. Too bad Colorado doesn’t give a rat’s ass about its schools.

It’s pretty rad that we will be known for space mining as well though

-4 points · 1 month ago

Don't even really have the tech for a space force (;p) and now were going to mine space. hmmm

Yeah that's wrong fam, a space force wouldn't be battlecruisers with space marines, it'll just be the anti satellite missiles we already have and satellites that can interfere with other satellites which Russia seems to have.

And yes we'll mine asteroids because its the next stage in resource acquisition for our species and there are lots of companies cropping up looking at candidate asteroids for mining and developing the technologies to harvest them.

I have a sneaking suspicion you posted just to have a post but you didn't really think about what is being discussed.

-3 points · 1 month ago

I understand that we will mine space in the future. And I know company's are looking for asteroids one flew right pass us a few years ago which contained 5 trillion in metals .its just we don't have the tech to support space mining right now. And comment about the space force was kinda just me Joking. Sorry if o upset us I really wasn't trying to get under anyone's skin. But I guess we have to start somewhere.

5 points · 1 month ago

What do you mean by not having the tech?

Afaik the us already has the x43 and several companies are developing ISRU concepts that are already at the testing stage.

What sursprises me is that it took this long

Welcome to r/Futurology, a subreddit devoted to the field of Future(s) Studies and speculation about the development of humanity, technology, and civilization.

r/Futurology Rules