Mixed-race family asks Blue Bell Ice Cream to change flavor name to be more inclusive

OK, if you have time to consider the racist implications of god damn ice cream it is time to get a hobby. Maybe go outside some.

You mean a hobby like eating dinner with the family? What kind of dysfunctional family do you have where getting a hobby or leaving the house is preferable to spending time with any of them??

I always wonder how nonsense like this makes it into the news. Does the mom just call the news outlet and tell them, "you won't believe the conversation we had today!" And for some inexplicable reason the guy on the other end doesn't hang up?

Most likely it started as a Facebook post with the lady and her equally stupid friends talking about it. Some news station might have found it or somebody shared it with them.

It literally says that in the article.

One friend suggested she post the the kids' letter to the company on Facebook, so Schmidley did.

Seriously people, does no one read articles any more?

I was talking more in the general sense of how the news stations find out. But, if you'd like we can go ahead a split hairs here. At no point does the article say how the CBS station found out about the blog and Facebook post. They also don't say who initiated first contact between CBS and the lady.

Reading articles would take precious time away from complaining about articles for me. /s

But seriously, I did read the article and this still doesn't explain how it made it into the news. Do newssites just check facebook all day?

Yes, and Reddit

This smells like a great troll opportunity.

It's more fun bitching about how ignorant other people are for complaining about something, since that allows other people to complain about them complaining about not knowing how someone else complained. It's called a "conversation", defined as two or more people complaining about people complaining.

Why? The comments are where it's at.

2 points · 26 days ago

And for some inexplicable reason the guy on the other end doesn't hang up?

Deadline's a deadline. Boss wants 1000 words on something by EOD.

They intentionally seek out anything they can exaggerate and misconstrue as an example of "PC culture run amok"

She says her son is "talented academically and adores all subjects, but math and history are his favorites." The ice cream immediately reminded him of "a time in history when our nation appeared to be irrevocably divided," the mother wrote.

No it doesn't, mom. Quit making shit up.

Woah you mean it's just ice cream flavors and not racially charged? Not in my America by God!

30 points · 27 days ago

I dunno about you guys, but I prefer leaving the chocolate side alone and just eating the vanilla and strawberry. I thought it was personal preference this morning...but turns out I'm a racist.

Thanks random mom for showing us the error of our ways!.

Thankfully you're only half racist!

I never liked the strawberry. What race am I racist against?

3 points · 26 days ago

The Irish.

Guess I might as well embrace it. What a bunch of drunken leprechauns! Just kidding, I’m like 2% Irish so it’s okay!

The point of the great divide flavor is there is no strawberry. This isn't Neopolitan.

The difference between vanilla and chocolate described as "The Great Divide" isn't "racially charged"?! Definitely in America! (Well, maybe not your America.)

I can't tell if this is complete sarcasm, or semi-serious.

Damn. I wanted that to be a thing.

-8 points · 27 days ago(More than 7 children)

If it was chocolate and strawberries no one would have cared.

-8 points · 27 days ago(0 children)

You got that in writing from the manufacturer and product people? Or is your bias towards "it must be racist" informing that assumption?

-4 points · 27 days ago · edited 27 days ago

You got that in writing from the manufacturer and product people?

No, I got that from brown and red not being a "Great Divide". Brown literally mixture of red and green! There's no greater divide than between white and black, light and dark.

Or is your bias towards "it must be racist" informing that assumption?

The only people claiming it's racist are the people denying it's racist. The article doesn't even use the word "racist". It doesn't even use the word "race" except with "mixed-race family". People (like you) saying it's racist to deny it's racist is what makes the comparison so accurate and meaningful. Why else would you invent that just to deny it, if there weren't some truth to it??

There's no greater divide than between white and black, light and dark.

So you agree it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with race, but some people chose to see it that way and get upset.

You do know you can mix white and black right, and it makes gray?

Edit: "racist" was a general term as people are turning ice cream flavors into racial ideas. It's fucking ice cream.

Everything in your life is amazingly good compared to nearly all other generations of humans in history. Access to fresh water, clean facilities, shelter, information, education, etc. Thats why the bar for your sense of injustice is so laughably low. The irony is it is an obvious reflection of how privileged you are just by living in this time. And yet you’ve been indoctinated to believe there is oppression all around you so you fall for nonsense like this.

No, someone built a wall, an Ice Cream wall.

She says it was her 10-year-old son who first noticed the name of the ice cream, "The Great Divide."

"[He] jokingly commented that the Great Divide flavor should be called the Civil War flavor,"

Yes it did, dude. Quit making shit up.

The Great Divide doesn't refer to the Civil War or segregation at all.

1 point · 24 days ago

Oh my...

No it doesn't, mom. Quit making shit up.

Whatever happened to the term drama queen? It feels like ever since social media blew up. That term has been lost to us. And now we're hearing about all the most insufferable people that would have been forgotten the moment you left high school on a daily basis.

This made me lol at the ginormous leap in logic that happened there.

This is some bullshit

Original Poster39 points · 27 days ago

yea I doubt any 10 year old knows what the Mason-Dixon line is, and would say "we really are all better and stronger when we are together, not when we are in separate containers"

this reeks of some gal just using her kids as political props

I tried submitting it to r/thathappened but they bounced it out because it was not a direct image link

But the ice cream is all in the same container.

Separate but equal containers

-4 points · 27 days ago · edited 27 days ago

yea I doubt any 10 year old knows what the Mason-Dixon line is,

Lol!

So, it's not racially divisive, because your kid is so ignorant about both history and geography, they haven't even heard of the Mason-Dixon line?? I guess the solution to racism is just make sure everyone is as uneducated as your children.

edit: And I love how someone teaching their children to take an active roll in society suddenly is "using her kids as political props", as coming from someone hiding behind anonymity when posting about the very exact same political issue, as a way to suggest she doesn't have the right to speak about it... But you do.

Original Poster10 points · 27 days ago

chill bro lmao

Well I think Blue Bell is being insensitive to my lactose intolerance. They should stop selling it at all.

This tea is hot!

15 points · 27 days ago

That kid will be 'fun' to be around as an adult... /s

16 points · 27 days ago

Even ice cream has to be about race now? People need to grow up.

13 points · 27 days ago

I quite like the name “Better Together”

And if only they’d bring back the ice cream bars with this “flavor”. I remember having it years ago in high school but I haven’t seen it since. (Like, 10 years ago? Holy shit)

37 points · 27 days ago

If you think fucking ICE CREAM is a trigger for racism, you need to do some introspection! WTF!?

7 points · 27 days ago

I mean ice cream certainly can be (some ice cream/frozen treat adds in the first half of the 1900s were super racist), but this is not.

Examples please.

Blue Bell Ice Cream asks local nut to kindly fuck off.

Personally I am more offended that they call this factory-produced ice cream "Homemade".

No no, you don't understand, the workers live there, thats their home!

If the "news" would stop sensationalizing this shit, it would stop.

Seriously, people need to shut up about race. That shit was so over with the Civil War!

2 points · 16 days ago · edited 16 days ago

Just because this narcissistic parent made up a victimhood story about their children for click-bait doesn’t mean racism doesn’t exist. Misguided people like you think that making everything about racism some how fights racism. It doesn’t. In reality you are doing a disservice to those who have experienced prejudice by watering down the concept of prejudice. As more and more stories like his are consumed people are more likely to be incredulous towards other people’s claims of experiencing prejudice. It’s the boy who cried wolf on a larger scale.

I assumed it was called something that could actually be construed as offensive, like “molotto” or “enslave the differently pigmented”

See the title. Doesn't mention anyone being "offended". It says that someone, well, "asks... to change flavor name to be more inclusive". Really don't know how to dumb that down further.

Considering you think "offensive" when you see the word "inclusive", I'd say it's safe to say your assumptions aren't particularly indicative of racial minorities.

-2 points · 27 days ago(0 children)
-26 points · 27 days ago(2 children)

And you're definitely a prejudiced asshole. But which is worse?

Original Poster7 points · 27 days ago

youre definitely racist

I prefer their Listeria flavor. Really livens up my freezer.

26 points · 27 days ago

While they are at it, they should change the name of the company. Blue isn't inclusive to the red states, and dutch chocolate is offensive to all the other types of chocolate out there.

At this point it should be called.. Politically Correct, Please Don't Sue US, Vanilla/Chocolate Ice Cream.

Why is Vanilla named first? /s

I'm gay. I want everything changed to suit my lifestyle and not offend me!

Pffffffft. Grow a pair and quit reading deep into everything. Ice cream isn't race related unless you make it that way.

Ice cream isn't race related unless you make it that way.

Nothing is racist unless "you" make it that way. Race and racism is a social construct.

Just FYI, so is reading. No where is it stated the ice cream is "race related". Rather, the name in relation to the flavor is divisive... what with being "The Great Divide".

Why does it have to 180 to “Better Together”? Why not “This works too”?

The name you chose for the thing you make doesn't identify the way that i live my life perfectly. CHANGE IT!

as soon as facebook mom starts gobbing off about her x-year-old kid you just know r/thathappened

Is it really significant that the family is mixed race? If they were all white or all black would the story be the same or would it have been passed off as one race trying to take control over another? Its ice cream, the name makes sense, there is a sharp line between both flavors. Instead of looking at it negatively, look at it positively, the differences in each side showcase the positives of each. If they were mixed together they would lose their individuality. See, I can look too far into something and make it ridiculous to. Eat your ice cream.

Is it really significant that the family is mixed race?

Yes, it's an intergral part of why the child commented on it. Says it right in the article: "Schmidley says her son noticed the mixture of black and white people around their table -- all of them family."

Lol! Gee, I wonder... If they were all white, or all black, would the almost universal agreement of all the comments be dismissive? I'm gonna guess .... yes.

Just BTW, you contradicted yourself. Twice. Is it "just ice cream"? Just the name of the ice cream? Just the sharp line between ice cream flavors? Or, maybe... just throwing this out there... Maybe it's not just any one. Maybe it's "just the combination of ice cream flavors, the name of the two combined ice flavors, and the sharp line between both the two ice cream flavors"?

Unfortunately, just doesn't have the same judgmental dismissive ring to it.

There's The Great Divide between the positive traits that one color has over the other? I think... maybe that's the entire point...?

If they were mixed together they would lose their individuality.

Just FYI, you might want to not suggest we shouldn't mix the races when saying whether it's relevant that the family that comments on the name "The Great Divide" suggests the racial division in our society, was "mixed". Not only does it undermine your entire point, but many Snow Flakes think that there's nothing wrong with racial mixing.

See, I can look too far into something and make it ridiculous to.

Keep trying. You have some solid rhetoric talking points, but try to space out the contradictions, and next time don't conclude with a statement about maintaining racial purity.

Lol dude, you made my point perfectly. Your looking too far into it. I have no problem with race. I think everyone looks too far into things, ice cream is not racist. This entire article is not news. Its a waste of both of our time to talk about it.

-2 points · 27 days ago · edited 27 days ago

And you made my point, by refusing to think. Personally, I don't find that to be a waste of time.

Then we are both good, cool. We should get some ice cream later.

Personally, I prefer strawberry to chocolate or vanilla....

Thats fine, I like all kinds of ice cream, but I head there is a pistachio ice cream that I am not touching, if my ice cream is green it better be mint. lol.

It's not easy being green.

I cant wait to be downvoted for hating on pistachio ice cream lol. Reddit is a weird place. Anyway, it was fun not arguing with you. I actually do want some ice cream now lol.

I actually do want some ice cream now lol.

And we all come together in harmonious agreement, kum-ba-ya. Unfortunately, no ice cream to be had for me :-(

Dude all we expected was a simple reply, not a literary analysis.

My apologies for hurting your brain.

Swirl... you are next....

Come one, what should they call it gaylest napolitalian ice cream?

They call it “Not that there’s anything wrong with that...”

If I virtue signalled that hard I would shit my pants.

hell with it, let just change everything deemed offensive and ignore the disgusting violence and murder all around us

I got it.

Moo-Latto

I'm ok with changing the name to something more politically correct but if Blue Bell quits making this flavor I'm going to be pissed because its fucking tasty.

Me too

This is america

Ugh, I hate that episode.

I mean, I feel like the company kinda had it to them; even if it is a dumb thing to get upset over, the ice cream name is perfect r/accidentalracism material

This is bullshit.

This "family" needs to be sued.

I thought this started by a class suggesting the name change? Not a mixed-race family...? This story is starting to get muddy.

But hey. The news, amirite?

I thought this started by a class suggesting the name change?

What's your point? Did the suggestion "Better Together" come up with that "class"? If so, how does "a class" choosing "Great Divide" over "Better Together" change anything about it?

Not a mixed-race family...?

The article doesn't mention how the name was picked. So... maybe? Still not clear on the point. Does the analogy between the ice cream and race relations change whether it was picked by "a class", "a mixed-race family", Adolph Hitler, or by a random word generator? Of course not!

This story is starting to get muddy.

I see what you did there! Race relations... Skin color... Mixing ice cream.... All "muddy".

I've never felt more picked apart in my life.

If "picked apart" includes reconsidering your viewpoint, then I'll take that as a compliment.

Lol no - picked apart means "taking every last phrase I said out of context and turning it into a knife to my character." Which, by today's standards, makes your intentions the problem.

See yourself out. :)

Ah well.... So much for expecting some semblance of open-mindedness.

No no no - you're not the victim all of a sudden. You came at ME with the accusations. My initial comment was INCREDIBLY authentic. I read a separate story that it was an elementary class that came up with the idea and the CEO of Blue Bell loved it - I thought that was neat.. and very progressive. "Good for them and for the future" was my thought. But now, THIS article comes out and this title makes it seem like someone was complaining to Blue Bell about the "Great Divide" being racist... when the story I recall wasn't anywhere in the slightest an offensive one. My confusion was with the differing stories... and the "media being muddy" comment was 100% taking a jab at the media. Not a pun. I've worked in media for ten years and I had to get out due to political bias. It's overwhelming and it controls how everyone thinks... People need to see through the bullshit and think for themselves. Read for themselves. EDUCATE themselves instead of following the herd.

How's that for your "open-mindedness" expectation?

-1 points · 27 days ago · edited 27 days ago

I'm not a victim of your close-mindedness... That's your problem, not mine.

Aside from nothing there being wrong with making accusations, I didn't, using the typical definition. So, maybe I'm mis-interpreting the entire statement.

Okay.... That's vaguely almost interesting if a rather mundane way for companies to name their products. Did you have a point? Maybe relate how the class was racially mixed, and the black older white male CEO of Blue Bell approving it is... well, relevant in any way at all...?

I thought that was neat.. and very progressive.

Well, fair enough. It being "neat" does explain why it's such a popular way to do it, but... Not clear on what you mean by "progressive". If you mean gradual change or favoring change, then... No, it's a common way to do it. Has been for many decades. If you mean favoring social progression, then... in what way is the name socially progressive, aside from the commentary on race relations that the article remarks on, and you categorically deny?

"Good for them and for the future" was my thought.

Whooo! Thank god the schools are teaching our children how to pick brand names! There's still hope for humanity!!

Seriously... What??

The word racist was not used in the article. Neither was "racism". Or "race", except "mixed-race family". Or offense/offensive. Why do you feel the need to invent that it's racist to deny it's racist, if there isn't some truth to it? I mean, why would you invent that it's sexist, or communist, or something to deny??

It is a pun. Puns don't need to be intentional. Nonetheless, the media ran a human-interest piece which sparked a social conversation, albeit with one side blinding screaming "IT'S NOT RACIST IT'S NOT RACIST IT'S NO...." Again, since you felt the need to invent an accusation in order to irrationally deny it to yourself shows the conversation is a worthy one, even if not equally useful for all parties. Inventing something just to deny it is rather contradictory to thinking for yourself.

You know - the fact that you are this intentional about taking an innocent inquiry and trying to assassinate my character over it speaks more about you than me. Enjoy your bravery behind a keyboard, kid. You're not helping anyone, not even yourself. I'm done with you.

Wtf are you talking about?? Are you sure you're responding to the right person, because I haven't said anything about you. At all. Our conversation has been about a story where the name of an ice cream flavor was compared to race relations in America.

Maybe you want racism to be false so badly, that your very identify relies on that narrative?

If not, then you should reread what I said, because... Again... I haven't said a single thing about you, accusation or otherwise. I'm addressing the ice cream, and the parallel between it and society.

Either way, sorry to have so deeply upset you with all the talk of... ice cream.

-3 points · 27 days ago

I dunno man, I think the story's pretty cute and they never said it was racist lol. The headline's funny though.

O it’s cute? Who gives a fuck

Oof don't cut yourself on all that edge.

Ironic that they just triggered to instant anger, while asking "Who gives a fuck". Who indeed.....?

Comment deleted27 days ago(1 child)

Where are you getting slave boy from? It's literally just kids walking cows.

-1 points · 27 days ago · edited 27 days ago

I love it!!

So many comments denying it's racist! And yet... NO ONE said it is, aside from everyone denying it is!

The article comments on how the white and brown flavors sharply contrasted as being "The Great Divide" is indicative of race relations in America. And, they offer the suggestion of using a name that would foster more inclusiveness (specifically "Better Together").

Personally, I disagree. But, I disagree, specifically because they pointed it out, making everyone so defensive that they have to knee-jerk react with "NOT RACIST NOT RACIST NOT RACIST LALALALALAAA!!!" Can't even bother to wait for a hint of anyone claiming it is! If the comparison between the ice cream and ice cream name to race relations weren't valid, then why is it everyone claims it's "racist" just to yell how not racist it really is? Why not say "It's not sexist", or "It's not communist"? Those would literally be no less relevant!

The name is, in fact, so meaningful1 that it has forced a conversation about race. The real irony is that in the U.S., a conversation about race is more about people shouting "NOT RACIST NOT RACIST NOT RACIST LALALALALAAA!!!", to prevent any meaningful discussion at all about something useful... "The Great Divide". Not just between colors, or races, or class... It has led to The Great Divide between preventing and having a discussion... Between solving problems and denying they exist.... Ultimately, between progressive and conservative.

It says all of that, in such a beautifully simple way, without judgement or insult. I can't possibly imagine a better name if they had done it on purpose.

edit: It's also even more striking given that most everyone loves ice cream. If this were a bicycle or a pair of socks, it wouldn't have been as likely to be remarked on. "The Great Divide" ice cream is so... agreeable.

(1 Presumably unintentionally.)

Are you kidding me? I tell you what, I am offended that you find Ice Cream so decisive.

r/nottheonion Rules
R1: Don't alter headlines.
R2: Submissions must be oniony.
R3, R4: News articles only, only original sources
R5: Don't repost similar articles.
R4, R5, R10: No prohibited or unreliable sources.
R11: No blocked links, paywalls, or surveywalls.
CR1: No personal attacks.
CR2: No racism, homophobia, or bigotry.
R10, R11: No redirected links or mobile sites.
CR3: Do not post public or private contact info.