TIL European PYREX is more resistant to breakage due to temperature change than USA PYREX because it is still made with the original borosilicate glass instead of soda glass (which can shatter in hot shards with sudden temp changes)

25 points · 1 month ago

It looks like the original company doesn't make kitchenware any more but licenses the Pyrex name to two different companies. The US based Corelle Brands uses "pyrex" and the Europe based International Cookware uses "PYREX".

18 points · 1 month ago

Wow this solves a long standing mystery in our household. We’ve lived our lives split between two countries (Australia and the US).

We have a bunch of Pyrex that we’ve accumulated over the years in both countries (all just mixed together now and not easy to tell what was purchased where) but we’ve always thought there were really noticeable inconsistencies. Even looking across multiple supposedly ‘identical’ items, the glass seems to different in weight, tint and handling characteristics. And we’ve had one or two shatter on us when subjected to rapid temperature change.

At first we just thought “crappy inconsistent manufacturing”, but now this makes total sense. The US Pyrex is actually different.

6 points · 1 month ago

Look at the pyrex logos/text. Top comment suggested that US writes "pyrex" and EU "PYREX". And I can confirm that my EU pyrex is written in caps.

I had this shatter happen to me one thanksgiving, I took my favorite dish out of the oven and put it on something that had some water on it. I didn’t notice and the second I put it down the damn thing exploded. Scared the shit out of me but I was so heartbroken bc I didn’t get to eat it.

You didn't really miss out, the new pyrex tastes like crap.

But so crunchy!

This happened to me recently. It had been in the oven, took the dish out to let it cool, and BOOM! Shards of glass ended up embedded in my wall, my couch, everywhere. Had I not been on the couch (with it between me and the stove) there's a solid chance I could have been seriously injured. I will never again purchase US Pyrex. It wasn't even a drastic temp change, it went from the oven to the stove top and sat there.

Borosilicate glass is better suited to fine structures and the soda lime glass to thick rough structures.

Just two applications.

4 points · 1 month ago

I'm trying to figure out why the two are made differently. From the article:

In its defense, Pyrex says that given the number of its products in use, the number of reported injuries is small, and also that soda lime glass is more resistant to impact breakage, which is a more common cause of injuries. (Consumer Reports found the resistance to impact breakage to vary widely among samples, but that some samples of soda lime glass were in fact quite strong in that regard.)

Which doesn't say too much. From Pyrex's Wikipedia page:

...This change was justified by stating that soda-lime glass has higher mechanical strength than borosilicate—making it more resistant to physical damage when dropped, which is believed to be the most common cause of breakage in glass bakeware. Also, it is cheaper to produce and more environmentally friendly.

So, the US stuff is cheaper and more environmentally friendly to produce, and probably breaks less frequently. But why is the European Pyrex still made the old way? I can't find anything on that particular point.

Because the fundamental reason you buy things made of pyrex, is a desire to cook things in them, or otherwise handle major temperature changes, like pouring boiling water in. The US version removes that, thus making it a completely pointless product that fulfills no purpose over ceramic (pots) or plastic (measuring jugs).

Pyrex containers can be used to store leftovers and they don’t stain or collect a layer of gross food pieces on them like plastic Tupperware. So they aren’t entirely pointless.

4 points · 1 month ago

Just use normal glass?

2 points · 1 month ago

Do you know of a glass storage container brand in the US? Everything I ever see is plastic or Pyrex, nothing else comes with a flexible seal lid and a glass body except for Pyrex.

2 points · 1 month ago

So it doesn't explode?

Not the reason why but pyrex used to be popular in the manufacture of crack cocaine in the US until they changed the formula of the glass.

One reference of many: http://freakonomics.com/2011/04/28/did-the-sale-of-pyrex-hurt-the-crack-cocaine-industry/

Fortunately you can still find real Pyrex in Canada, but it's less common - the cheaper US one drives me nuts, since pretty much the whole point of buying it is for the resistance to temperature change induced damage.

Where can I find some Pyrex lids that don't break or crack?

-15 points · 1 month ago(0 children)

But literally the entire point of Pyrex is temperature tolerance

Yeah. Most glass is sodalime glass, if it's not borosilicate then it's not PYREX.

Mine has been fine for years pouring boiling water into it so whatever they've been doing for the US version has been just fine for me.

Which any Pyrex has, the us stuff just needs to be warned and cooled slower

The manufacturers disagree. US Pyrex has a 2 year guarantee. French Pyrex stand by their products for 10 years of use.

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

Crack is wack, yo.

You learn something new every day; what did you learn today? Submit interesting and specific facts about something that you just found out here.

r/todayilearned Rules
1. Inaccurate/unverifiable/not supported by source
2. No personal opinions/anecdotes/subjective posts
3. No recent sources
4. No politics/agenda pushing
5. No misleading claims
6. Too general/can't stand on its own/how to
7. No submissions about software/websites
8. All NSFW links must be tagged.