Sign up and stay connected to your favorite communities.

How can we get former Mayor Berry to face some accountability for this disaster?

Hey all, I vote each election and try and stay aware of what's happening locally, but beyond that I will admit that I'm not the most politically savvy when it comes actually sending an issue I feel personally about up the pipes, so to speak. However, I am getting to the point where I feel like former Mayor Berry has crossed the line and fucked our city so badly that something needs to be done. Would someone with a little more knowledge of the legal system/political machine point me in the direction of someone I can contact to voice my opinion that he should face repercussions for his corruption? I can't believe he's getting away with this.

Hire a documentary filmmaker and in Michael Moore style show how he singlehandedly destroyed the police dept, central avenue, the safety of the city ect. Pay for it with a go fund me campaign, play it on pbs, make sure he is a laughing stock of mayors! How's that for your legacy diggleberry!

This - put just get Netflix, Hulu or Amazon to publish it

Yeah. Just do all those things.

20 points · 14 days ago

Pay for play in New Mexico is still very real and alive. I would be highly surprised if he faced anything.

Original Poster10 points · 14 days ago

I mean, I'd be astonished too, but I'd at least like to know the proper channels to voice my concerns over an issue like this.

0 points · 12 days ago

I think that learning the lesson from Berry is probably a better use of your energy and not allowing another one to come into power. Voting is a huge power even though it doesn't seem like it. Doing anything like YouTube videos about it will prob get you a defamation lawsuit.

17 points · 14 days ago

Tar and feathers?

20 points · 14 days ago

Give all the homeless and thugs a ride in the back of the truck to his neighborhood, that’s the best we can do.

17 points · 14 days ago

Does the county have enough trucks?

5 points · 13 days ago · edited 13 days ago

Unless an investigation shows him guilty of fraud or corruption, there's little chance of holding him accountable in terms of any legal or fiscal action.

What you can do thought is work to oust those council members who voted the project thru, and approved the contracts, and also keep an eye on the city manager's office.

You can also work to stop Berry or any of the other council members from seeking higher offices. Congress, Senate, Governor -don't let them even think of running for those offices, where their incompetence will be more lucratively rewarded.

He will never be held accountable but I just wanted to share how hilarious it is up and down central. People turning left from side streets into the art lanes to head to the opposite lanes and also using the art lanes to turn left into side streets and local businesses. All I can do is laugh at the absurdity of it all.

Comment deleted13 days ago

the only place where you can legally make a u-turn is at some intersections. if you want to make a left,\ but it's across the street you have to wait until you get to an intersection where you can make a u-turn, then do it, and come back to make a right hand turn to your destination on the opposite side of the road.

I thought it was a bad enough idea to take away a traffic lane (or obliterate the median, as the case may be) on Central.

But I was unprepared for the sheer annoyance of the reduction in places one can cross or U-turn. As you've explained, this makes it a real pain in the ass to visit a business on the other side of the street.

It wouldn't shock me if people simply ignored the signage, anywhere an ART station doesn't physically block crossing Central.

Absolutely, and that’s exactly what’s happening. If there isn’t a physical barrier, people are just driving across the median/art lanes to get to their destinations. Granted, once the busses start rolling and drivers start being cited for this it will be greatly reduced, but that doesn’t alleviate the inconvenience of having to go a few blocks before making a legal u turn to get to the other side of the street.

6 points · 13 days ago

At least the BRT stations provided shaded seating for the Pride Parade.

The worst part is that people will continue to turn from the bus lanes even when the busses start running

I would recommend writing to your city councilor. There probably won’t be any legal recourse for this, but just letting your representative know how you feel about what’s going on in this city is never a bad idea.

Keep in mind this project was passed by your city council with a 7-2 vote, regardless of what Berry wanted. Same people still sitting on the council by the way

This right here. Only Councillors who voted against this foolishness were Lewis (no longer serving) and Pena.

Find your Councillor here and make your unhappiness plain:

Original Poster3 points · 13 days ago

Thank you for taking the time to point me in the right direction!

It might not do any good, but you can also try contacting your state legislators. https://nmlegis.gov/Members/Find_My_Legislator

Sure thing.

10 points · 13 days ago

Throw some bologna on his car during a hot day. Or find his mailing address and sign him up for a bunch of magazines

Talk him into selling one of his cell towers he has APD guarding?

I haven't heard about this. Would you elaborate please?

Can you provide some specific examples of the crime or corruption you believe Major Berry has committed?

73 page report about the ART project was released by the Keller administration. The Journal has been covering it extensively. In sum, Berry pushed the ART project without securing funding and cut a lot of corners in trying to rush the project through. As a result, the City could be really fucked financially in the next coming decade.

3 points · 13 days ago

FYI, it was pointed out here on reddit last year, by several people that the funding wasn't secured. However, others, assured by the sure quick drum roll of the city and the promises Berry had made to his contracting cronies, overlooked it in favor of short term gains (jobs that started immediately) and some vision of the city that wasn't quite right.

-43 points · 14 days ago(More than 25 children)

"little Commie Keller".... Really? There is no need to be an asshat. That comment added nothing to the veracity of your point and only reminded us of a similar weak tactic used by our Asshat-in-Chief. You do realize that name calling only highlights the weakness of your argument, right?

-11 points · 13 days ago(0 children)

As an actual communist I take offense

1 point · 13 days ago · edited 13 days ago

I was making a point. Also, if you look at Trumps antics at the G7 this past weekend, the title is appropriate.

I know lol It’s a double standard. Think for yourself occasionally, friend.

2 points · 13 days ago · edited 13 days ago

I do think for myself and vote on issues. You don't know me and have no basis to make that claim against me. If we are in the phase of our relationship where we are giving each other advice, why don't you stop name calling g and personalizing your attacks. If you don't like Keller's policies, fine. Call them out individually and name your grievance, but don't try to boil him (or anyone else, for that matter) down to an insulting slur. This does not advance your ideas and only serves to immediately shut down any reception on the part of the reader.

What are your grievances against Keller?

**Edit: Ranting on a smartphone is a typo-filled affair.

Just as I guessed. When challenged on your specific grievance against Keller, you disappear from the conversation. You ask me to think for myself, but you can't argue your own points. Form a cogent opinion and argue it without resorting to name calling. I'll be here to resume this conversation when you have something to share.

16 points · 14 days ago

Not true. The FTA made it clear that there was no guarantee of funding, and if construction began, it would be at our risk.

-20 points · 14 days ago(0 children)
18 points · 13 days ago

Sadly, you are not the only person who has been taken in by the previous administrations' false promises.

This, from the Albuquerque Journal reporting on Mayor Keller’s March 2018 press conference on BRT.

“I think that this notion that somehow we’re just waiting for guaranteed funds is factually inaccurate and it always was,” Keller said.

Albuquerque received a “letter of no prejudice” expressing support for the project, which will provide a rapid-ride electric bus system along Central Avenue, in 2016. Then-Mayor Richard Berry said at the time that every city that had received such a letter from the FTA ended up getting the funding.

But Keller pointed out that all such letters also contain the sentence: “The authority to incur costs provided in this letter does not constitute an FTA commitment that future federal dollars will be approved for this project.”

[ . . .]

Chief Operating Officer Lawrence Rael had painted a bleaker picture during a Feb. 21 meeting with Journal editors and reporters when he described the odds of receiving the money to be “50-50” and said the decision to fund lies with Congress, the Trump administration and FTA.

4 points · 13 days ago

Lol. Putting all your eggs in the Trump and Congress basket. That seems like a reliable decision.

Trump wasn't president when ART was being planned.

4 points · 13 days ago

Which is irrelevant because the funding wasn't slated to come until after the election, so Berry, as a Republican, should have considered this outcome.

Comment deleted13 days ago
2 points · 13 days ago

I suspect he did consider it and that's why he pushed so hard to get it done before he left office.

You work for ABQ public transit, u/GloriousKoala. Your “knowledge” is biased. Go screw.

Gotta love all the people downvoting . Hey r/Albuquerque this person never said they agreed with the ART project they were just brave enough to provide you with correct information. I know it doesn't go along with your hate everything related to ART narrative and so you are compelled to mass downvote but please stop and actually read it.

4 points · 13 days ago

they were just brave enough to provide you with correct information.

I read it. The information was incorrect. The FTA page linked doesn't support the claim made.

The current Mayor seems to agree with OPs claims "Keller said the city continues to follow FTA guidelines needed to receive the $75 million Small Starts grant “so we’re ready to apply for funding as soon as it’s authorized as part of the (federal) budget process"

The federal government would always have to authorize the funding and none of it is guaranteed, but the same could be said of any government funded project. OP is correct, but it doesn't fit the anti trump anti ART narrative here so people down vote it massively. They'll up vote you massively without any factual basis for it.

2 points · 13 days ago · edited 13 days ago

Of course the city will continue to try to qualify for funding. Mayor Keller said, “so we’re ready to apply for funding as soon as it’s authorized as part of the (federal) budget process". [Emphasis added].

Keller said:

“no funds have been promised” and “I think that this notion that somehow we’re just waiting for guaranteed funds is factually inaccurate and it always was,”

Those statements by Mayor Keller are opposite the claims by u/GloriousKoala that

“If the project is completed according to the original design, and operational - we will get it. This is a fact.” And “As soon as the system is operational, FTA will cut us a massive check. “

He said nothing about subject to inclusion in the budget and approval by Congress.

You don't know why people upvote or downvote a post. Maybe it has nothing to do with disliking BRT or Trump and has more to do with being fed up with being lied to.

Cmon, this is straight political grandstanding by mayor Keller to make Berry look as bad as possible so when he secures the funding he can look like he is the hero. The FTA funding is guaranteed to no municipality. But if we follow the guidelines, and meet the restrictions of the funding request we will most likely receive the funding pending congressional or presidential intervention. This is how federal funding has always worked and people are being overgeneralized from both sides. His statements are an oversimplification of the process but in the opposite e d if the spectrum were not "financially fucked" either.

2 points · 13 days ago

Telling the citizens the truth isn't "political grandstanding".

The downvoting doesn't seem to be specific to only one viewpoint. My replies challenging /u/GloriousKoala to defend is views were also downvoted to oblivion. Apparently name-calling is a valid debate tactic and I tried to take away someone's toys. *shrug*

Yes it's unfortunate that we can't use facts and must resort to name calling. For what it's worth I up voted replies to me that were constructive and added to the debate. It's funny how a name can really sway public opinion on a public plan. Identical plans done elsewhere in the city and you almost never hear about it.

8 points · 14 days ago

As long as we keep electing the major party players it will be business as usual. The system protects itself.

So in theory.... if you had several tens (possibly hundreds) of thousands of dollars laying around with no use for it....

You might be able to hire an attorney, and file a civil suit against Berry and the City for some kind of damages. You paid tax dollars into bonds, and the city misappropriated those bonds. You'd have to prove that the former mayor and/or city managers acted willfully or negligently in doing so. Hind sight review does not prove negligence or intent. So you might be able to show that someone in the pipe said "look, I know this money is for rebuilding city drainage infrastructure, but we would rather use it for this project so I'm going to knowingly use it for this project, the law be damned" or "I'm not at all qualified to hold this job, my uncle got it for me, I intentionally lied on my resume, I lied to my superiors about my ability to manage city finances, and went ahead and tried to fake it, and screwed up" .... at that point you MIGHT be able to claim whatever portion of your taxes went towards the payments on those bonds. Get ready to go to the bank with a $0.50 check!

Now, if you're one of the people holding those bonds, you may have more damages - still probably not enough to go to court on unless your damages are in the 6 figure range. These kinds of trials are stupid expensive to litigate and only serve to make lawyers rich.

Other than a civil trial, you as an ordinary citizen are powerless to hold anyone in government personally accountable for political snafus.

But you DO have power. You can vote. You can vote for laws and policy makers who represent your agenda.

You can run for office. You can set the agenda.

You can engage other voters, and lobby on your own behalf or on the behalf of a common cause you believe in. Mayor Kelly has been calling for more volunteerism, and that's where the grass roots start - in the community.

If, for example, you're into how city money is spent on public infrastructure like roadways, get with the city and find out how you can help the city traffic engineers office. Chances are they don't need you just yet, only because they've never been approached by a volunteer.... but they can almost certainly get you in with a community that needs help keeping their streets free or litter.... you work with them for a while, get to know the salaraied city staff who manage those groups, attend city functions that you'll get invited to (or asked to pay for a plate at... as /u/s0d says it's a pay for play system for now), network, glad hand your way to the top, get to know the mayor and his people.... if it sounds like a lot of work, it IS. It's the job politicians do. Many politicians get their start in community activism and volunteerism (as opposed to the ones who family bought them a senate seat....).

So there you have it.

Also, if there is enough indication of any kind of fraud, negligence, or other foul play, the city and state have lawyers that look out for that stuff. Still, that said, no one of any substance is suggesting Berry committed any criminal acts... being a shitty politician isn't criminal (nor should it be, imagine the chaos...) just stop voting for the bafoons.

1 point · 13 days ago

Woo quoted again. Thanks. Lol

You want to hold one of America's royal class accountable? I understand your frustrations, but unless we literally catch a politician with their dangly bits somewhere they shouldn't be, we can't touch em. I would recommend annexing D.C.

so every mayor in every city in America is considered 'America's Royal Class'?

No, politicians are.

well, then isnt that a good thing? a democratically elected 'royal class' aka democracy?

Except that they build their own dynasties, immune from prosecution, and separate from the world they shape. Congress, for example, voted themselves the benefit where their kids get automatic admission to any higher learning institution, free of tuition. So they groom their offspring in prestigious schools, where old family connections are strengthened, ensuring the continued power of the family.

hm. I definitely agree that the immune to prosecution part is not good, I was unaware about the 'college admission/tuition' which I was unaware about as well.

By immune to prosecution, I was speaking effectively, not legally. They are powerful, with powerful friends, so their crimes just kind of disappear.

-5 points · 13 days ago(2 children)

They give their children free school on thetaxpayer's dime. Their children weren't elected, first of all. Secondly, if you don't see how this is used to maintain an institution of inequality, then no further conversation will be helpful. You need to understand how the world works, and I'm not your teacher.

Uhh...of course it is used to maintain an institution of inequality. I'm just saying that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Equality isn't necessarily the goal.

They give their children free school on thetaxpayer's dime

Yeah you just said the thing I found no evidence for over again without giving any evidence. If you're talking about, like, the actual elite then you're talking about universities that are free because the endowments are so large, not because the government is paying for it. If I got into Princeton it'd be free, same for you. 'Free' college is usually community college.

Look at restate along the ART route. So many bussinesses that have been in the same spaces for ever went under leaving the prime space open. Also what's up with doing road projects backwards? Resurfacing then tearing up the same stretch of road right after to get to the utility underneath, then resurfacing again. That's some wasteful bullshit.

He was JUST elected in December... The ART project is from the previous mayor. Look at your past votes if you want to find where this all stemmed from.

Official subreddit of Albuquerque, New Mexico.

r/Albuquerque Rules