Never seent this in 33 years.

Had hail this size a few years back up here in the East Mountains, and hail twice that size a few years before that, it broke all of our skylights and dented our cars!

We had 3 houses in the NE Heights that had to have roofs replaced 2 years ago because of the golf ball sized hail. Sounded like Armageddon when it was happening. Hope we don't have to do it again already!

2 points · 1 month ago

I live about 40 mins out of Santa Fe and I swear we get hail like this pretty dang often, at least once a year. Crazy how abq usually gets nothing. I've waded through hail on the street that was up past my ankles

Uptown got NONE. Like only a few hailstones here and there. But I have friends a couple miles southwest - UNMish - that had all of their skylights broken by it. It is so strange how different parts of town get different weather.

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

Yeah, I guess a better title would be that I’ve never seen hail that big in my neighborhood UNM area where I’ve lived my whole life

I never have either and I've been here upwards of 35 years. It's mostly the higher elevations that get it that size. It's just crazy to me how you can be at like, San Mateo and no rain, go to Eubank and it's pouring. Or just random hail/not hail

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

Yeah, I guess the valley where I work didn’t get anything, maybe a light sprinkle.

So strange!

Ugh...forecast is calling for more of this shit tonight.

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

Yeah not looking forward to it and neither is my car

Mercifully my wife's car seems OK after last night, but I don't know if we'll get lucky two nights in a row. looking at some of these pics, it looks like we got the smallest (dime sized) hail in town. I still need to climb on the roof and check the skylight.

-4 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

We see hail every year in Albuquerque. 33 years?

Original Poster5 points · 1 month ago

I’ve never seen golf ball sized hail in the UNM area.

We've had it before, but it's been a long time. My first car was totaled by hail in the early 2000's (I think it was 2003 or 2004).

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

In the UNM area? I woulda thought I’d remember but that was a while back

2 points · 1 month ago

No, on the west side.

I live in a similar area now and we only got pea sized hail yesterday. Maybe not you're post, but the people saying it's never been that large in Albuquerque really can't say that unless they surveyed the entire city for the past few decades.

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

Yeah I’m not an expert just was very surprised

Lifetime resident of 38 years, I've never seen hail like this in town before.

1 point · 1 month ago

Maybe he's not from abq

pea sized and occasionally marble sized, but almost never as big as this got.

Official subreddit of Albuquerque, New Mexico.

r/Albuquerque Rules