Do you guys sit in the front seat or the back when riding in an uber?

Back seat.

Don't make me talk and I'll give you 5* even if you run over 3+ kids.

Lmao damn right. The worst is when they just don't stop talking and you are riding home with a terrible hangover. It's like... Please just stop talking and drive and I may even give you a tip.

Male
39 points · 9 days ago

I think this is more of a cultural thing than anything else. In the US, the vast majority of people sit in the back, and everyone involved prefers is that way (though if you have a bunch of people, sitting in the front isn't a big deal).

But I remember this question from a while back, and certain other countries were much more "Oh, I sit in the front, otherwise it feels too much like a servant thing."

(Which, I never really understood, but whatever)

Mail
16 points · 9 days ago

I always saw it as more of a taxi thing. Uber/Lyft is essentially free-lance taxi driving.

Male
9 points · 9 days ago

Yup, same, and I always sit in the back of a cab.

Extremely muscular oiled up Turkish oilwrestler
1 point · 9 days ago

Uber is actually illegal in a lot of places because of this as in any service.

The court ruled that it's a Taxi but its drivers are not qualified—not just anyone can be a Taxi driver without the necessary licence.

I'm always really surprised by how unregulated some places like the US are where anyone can just do anything and there are no laws on paper and if there's a problem a judge just makes case law how they see fit via no democratic instrument that is then further binding.

"Case law" is such a weird construct—how judges who re not elected can basically just law down legislation however they want.

Dickslinger
4 points · 9 days ago

I drive and I actually prefer front seat passengers. It's just easier to work with people if you can see them even just a little bit. I swear it also helps with ratings and makes the job less impersonal.

Male
1 point · 9 days ago

I could see that, thanks for the response.

You ever see driving Ms. Daisy?

Male
9 points · 9 days ago

You ever sit next to someone on the train, even though every other seat was empty?

Fuck no. thats like the guy who uses the urinal next to you when there are plenty more.

Male
7 points · 9 days ago

Yup. That's what it feels like to me if I sat in the front seat of an Uber with no other passengers.

How about the guy that has to park next to you when you parked in an empty parking lot far away from the entrance?

If you parked like an asshole and are taking up multiple spaces or some shit...you had it coming.

Or... you just wanted to park far away to avoid other peoples' bad parking...?

18 points · 9 days ago

Back seat.

Mom told me not to talk to strangers, but what do I know since I still get into cars with them anyway.

trash taste in waifu
8 points · 9 days ago

It's okay though since they have candy

Front seat. You pay him and he offers you the service. Sit in front and have a fun chat.

Male
25 points · 9 days ago

Honestly riding in an uber is one of the best ways to find out about other regular americans and their lives. Can be fascinating

In my city, uber has been competing with taxi services so it's just taxi drivers. They have similar life stories most of the time.

♂ DINO FETISHIST
7 points · 9 days ago

Yeah I always chat with them if they're chatty

Comment deleted9 days ago(1 child)
2 points · 9 days ago

4.6* is the cutoff though 🤔

Dickslinger
1 point · 9 days ago

As a driver, clients like this, if they're not godawful jerks, are my favorites.

Usually in the front, same as when I get a cab. Think it’s a cultural thing in the US to not sit in the front?

Original Poster5 points · 9 days ago

Might be regional, I’m in the US and typically sit in the front

Male
6 points · 9 days ago

Front seat if i'm in the mood to try and start up conversation. If I just want to get from point A to point B then back seat. If i'm with a girl i go in the back with her. If i'm with people we always go in the back unless we don't fit then I go up front (unless I'm trying to talk to one of the girls we're with). I'm pretty good at talking with new people so I don't have a problem with that.

Male
7 points · 9 days ago

I sit in the front. It feels rude to sit in the back. Bonus points if they don't try to force a conversation.

22 points · 9 days ago

Back. Only weirdos ride shotgun.

Bane
9 points · 9 days ago

What if a Tesla rolls up?

So? I don’t get to drive it, who cares

Bane
3 points · 9 days ago

It's fun to be at the front if you convince the driver to floor it.

Depends on how full the car is. I’ve done both.

Comment deleted9 days ago

Yeah...prolly gonna sit in the back.

Front. But I'd sit in the front in a taxi, too. It never occurs to me to do other than that.

Apparently in some other countries (I'm in Australia ) people sit in the back of taxis. That would feel weird to me.

Likes cheese. And tits.
4 points · 9 days ago

Back seat, usually.

Back seat as I'm more used it from other types of shuttle services, and I usually keep to myself aside from maybe a comment or two when I first get in (unless the driver engages me- I'll respond and enjoy the conversation).

I usually decide on how the Uber diver is. I like sitting in front personally because I get car sick.

Female
2 points · 9 days ago

Back seat. I'd feel weird if I sat in the front seat.

I do Uber and I'd say about 75% of the time, guys sit upfront. If they're with a GF, they usually sit together in the back. Women, I'd say it's the reverse for them. They sit in back about 75% of the time. I don't care either way. Wherever they feel comfortable.

I always viewed it as a taxi and jumped into the back seat.

In the EU, I ride in the back seat.

In Palestine / Bahrain / Malaysia / Saudi Arabia, I ride in the front.

One time I attempted to sit in the backseat and the driver gestured me to sit in front, ha.

Male
2 points · 9 days ago

back seat so I can socialize but also have my privacy.

♂ DINO FETISHIST
4 points · 9 days ago

Front seat.

If its just me, front. otherwise we'll hop in the back.

Front seat for a better chat.

2 points · 9 days ago

If it's just me front seat, I think it's kinda rude to sit in the back, and also it feels really weird to leave the shotgun seat empty

Always backseat unless it's a full car.

There was one Uber driver where she told me to sit in the front, so I did. Turned out to be the weirdest Uber experience I've had.

Front seat unless driver tells me to sit on the backseat or if they have stuff on the front seat.

Depends on where I see my friends.

Backseat.

i sit on the back, there's no reason why, i just do it, i don't care.

But there was a situation here in mexico a while back like a year or two, about taxi drivers actually looking for regular cars with people sitting on the back and not the front, just to identify if it was an uber and beat them up.

so for a while folks started sitting in the front.

I drive often in my hometown, and just drove a road trip of about 1500 miles, over 13 days, in several foreign countries - right now, I'd do anything to lounge in a backseat.

Dickslinger
1 point · 9 days ago

Driver here: I actually prefer it when people ride in the front. It makes it easier for me to read them, assess their state, pick up on cues, and so on. There is nothing more infuriating than a backseat rider trying to be a backseat driver and pointing at things I can't see and then bitching I missed their turn or whatever.

I have only taken Uber back and forth to the airport when I'm flying. It's a 25 minute drive and I like to sit up front if possible. Some driver's have water or a cooler there though that makes it impossible to ride up front. We talk and talk and in 25 minutes I know his/her life story and have made a new acquaintance/friend.

1 point · 9 days ago

I usually take the front, unless it's a van. I can't think of a good reason to deprive myself of the leg room.

Back. It feels presumptuous for me to sit in the front.

1 point · 9 days ago

Whichever window I can't see the passenger headrest in.

If it's visible in the back window, they have the seat moved way back and are expecting someone to sit in the front (and I won't fit in the back).

FWIW, I prefer sitting in the back, I've had several drivers get too involved in whatever conversation they were trying to maintain and make some bad driving decisions (like turning the wrong way down a 1-way street), so I'd rather they just focus on driving.

Front. Never really thought about it, back would feel like a limo ride.

1 point · 8 days ago

I don't use Uber, but it would never occur to me to sit in the front. We sit in the back in a cab, so why would Uber be any different?

Only front if I’m by myself.

The back. I don't know, sitting in the front seems so impersonal.

Bane
-3 points · 9 days ago

Depends on the car.

If a Tesla rolls up, front seat always... and the entirety of the ride will be spent convincing the driver to floor it.

Everything else, back seat.

Comment deleted9 days ago
Bane
1 point · 9 days ago · edited 9 days ago

In Madrid there's a Tesla fleet.

You can even tell Uber you want a Tesla specifically.

Uber works kinda differently in the countries where the taxi gangsters got their way.

End user experience is the same, though. The difference is for drivers.

If you sit in the front and the back seat isn't full, you're fucking weird.

r/AskMen is the premier place to ask random strangers for terrible dating advice, but preferably from the male perspective. A semi-serious place to ask men casual questions about life, career, and more. And don't be an asshole.

r/AskMen Rules
No Gift Threads
No Agenda Posting
NO YES/NO/DAE POSTS
Don't post about specific situations
Don't be an asshole