Archived

People who go to sleep without using electronic devices for an hour before bed, what do you do instead?

Comment deleted6 months ago(7 children)

This is actually long term life bettering, you're doing something that is accomplishing, healthy and is a great skill to have. I can't tell you how many sleepless nights I've had worrying about what tomorrow will bring but if I set everything up it's a calm decline into sleep.

Please get your organized life out of here... :(

4 more replies

Read.

I have been trying to finish the "brothers karamazov" for a decade now. I read it before bed; puts me to sleep within 5 minutes flat. If that doesn't seem me through life, there's always Tolstoy. I feel obligated to read them, but they are so incredibly boring to me my brain gives right up and I'm out. It's a win / win.

1 more reply

Well I mean I read from the kindle.

But I like that kidle paper white light because I am lazy to turn off the real light.

6 more replies

Don’t the lights keep you up just like a phone would?

IIRC it's the blue light coming from the screen that keeps you up the most, that's why using a program like f.lux can help

Yes but don’t light bulbs have blue light? And if you use a book light the white LEDs will have even more blue light than a normal light bulb.

You can chose your color temperature when you purchase bulbs. I always buy “warm” bulbs because they feel more cozy in the home.

You could also get a smart bulb, those are pretty neat.

If you have bulbs advertised as “daylight” or “true white” they will more cool/blue.

My shrink recently replaced the warm bulb in his office lamp with a cool/bright one, and the difference was dramatic. The place became much less relaxing and intimate.

I hate cold bulbs, makes every room they're in feel like a hospital or a public bathroom.

One of my neighbors have a cool bright lamp in their living room. It bothers me to no end. Why would anyone want that in their living room?!

To answer, as a person who suffers from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), most of my lights are cool, bright, full spectrum lights throughout the house. There are a few that aren’t, and I use them sometimes - but only when I’m in a good mental place and ready for some softer light, like before sleep, or for a romantic evening.

Before I consciously tried this, my depression in my own home, where I should have felt safest and happiest, was worse than anywhere else I could be.

Just changing my home lighting made my home a sanctuary, as I feel a home should be! :)

Oh, and my furniture and decorations are all warm earth tones, and I use soft, touchable textures so it’s not clinical at all.

Totally helped!!

1 more reply

because I want it to feel like its daytime in my house, not that a fire is inside of my lamp

1 more reply

You should mention it to him. That sounds like something he’d be concerned about.

1 more reply

Can you explain how that works? Blue light comes from higher temperatures (blackbody radiation), so why are warm lights red/ cool lights blue? Seems like it should be the reverse.

"Warm" in this context refers to colour temperature, not actual temperature. Reds, oranges and yellows make us feel warm and cozy, because they remind us of things like candles, flaming hearths, flushed skin and summer sunsets, while blues, aqua greens and greys remind us of icy rivers, overcast skies, cold stone and freezing nights.

Warm light is not as harsh, and is more akin to firelight, while white light is more like a fresh blue sky and daylight, which keeps you awake.

As far as I can make out, portable devices are "Short-wavelength enriched" meaning they put out more blue light to ensure visibility.

I think its more to do with the mood that the colours are associated with than the actual black body temperatures that create them, e.g. warm white is kind of yellowy so feels warm like the sun or a fire whereas cool white is closer to blue so reminds you of snow, ice, etc. An example of this could be in stage lighting, using cool white makes everything seem harsh and cold and could maybe represent a winter scene.

7 more replies

1 more reply

Well, also, when you're reading, you're not staring at the light like with a phone.

2 more replies

f.lux is the shit. people freak out when they look at my screen. "what's wrong with your computer?" etc etc. busters.

1 more reply

Strangely I find setting my LIFX bulbs to blue or violet (but turning them down low) before I sleep very relaxing and sleep inducing.

11 more replies

The blue light has an impact, but so does the constant dopamine hits from browsing/Facebook atv.

Replace with warm tinted bulbs (or a true kindle with the blue filter) and reading a bloom rather than Facebook.

If you are reading from a book there is no backlighting - it makes all the difference in the world....

4 more replies

I’m not sure, at least for me reading puts me to sleep extremely quickly. I can easily fall asleep with all the lights on after reading for 20-30 minutes.

I used to read voraciously until the internet screwed up my attention span for it. I have recently tried to get back into reading before bed. I usually get two or, maybe, three pages read before I am done.

You arent staring directly at lightbulbs when you read a book. You are when you use a screen.

10 more replies

I think this is the most important comment. I use to stay up, spending time on reddit or YouTube. Sometimes till 1 am. I knew it was because of the blue light issue. I had a few Stephen King books laying around that I first attempted to read close to 10 years back.

I set up a light close to my bed, a worm light, with a shade, with a switch at arm's reach.

If I am not tired and get in to bed at 8, I can be sleeping by 9. Reading also keeps me entertained enough to stay away from TV, video games, or my phone, until I fall a sleep.

And personally, I tend to go for non fiction right before bed. It's easier to put down then a thriller.

3 more replies

Really surprised that this is not the #1 comment here.

17 more replies

I tidy my kitchen of any mess made from dinner (it's nice to wake up to a tidy place!), pack my bag/make sure I have everything I need for the next day, have a nice relaxing bubble bath, then sit in bed and read until I fall asleep (usually very quickly).

I'm willing to pay thousands just to be like this.

You have to be willing to give just a few minutes for this

Luckily you don't need to pay thousands to be like this :D

I like to lie in the dark and imagine a world where time doesn’t pass, and where I can create anything (like I’m a god, or I’m in that dream in a dream inception shit).

So for example I’ll imagine I’m building a house under a river in the Amazon rainforest so I can watch river dolphins. I’ll slowly construct every detail of the environment, the room I’m in, etc. I’ll meet a jaguar and give it the ability to talk and ask it questions and imagine what it might say. I’ll get modern English translations of ancient texts and read them.

Basically I just imagine cool things until I drift off. When I was younger I used to enjoy going to bed early just so I could think about things before falling asleep.

I remember being much better at this sort of thing when I was younger. Nowadays I fall asleep way before I get anywere cool.

yeah me too! I think i’m wide awake and come up with a story, but get about a quarter of the way thru and then wake up the next day

Me too. If I know I need to get to sleep I intentionally start with a good daydream and I know I'll be unconscious before I get to the good bit :(

Glad to know I’m not the only one. I used to always daydream about imaginary worlds and stories and my own characters (which are probably just hybrids of the different fictional characters that made an impression on me) interacting with each other, especially before sleeping. I don’t really do good parts tho, they’re always just doing mundane stuff

A few months ago I would fall asleep imagining I was a proto human and was going about my life while trying to get food and avoid predators. I stopped doing this because I was dying too much.

3 more replies

Comment deleted6 months ago(6 children)

The real question is: Do they eat pancakes?

Comment deleted6 months ago(0 children)

2 more replies

Usually when I try that I end up worrying about things and not sleeping.

There was a post yesterday in I think r/science that explained a study where they found you were less likely to stay up worrying if you wrote down a to-do list for the next day before bed.

So basically you unload all the things you have to worry about doing onto a piece of paper and you have an easier time letting them go before sleeping.

So, some study discovered the worry doll? Fascinating.

4 more replies

It doesn’t help me fall asleep at night, but I always imagine myself in my sanctuary where hills filled with red poppy flowers run far and in the distance stands an enormous towering tree filled with every book in the world. I always “wake up” in this world on a white canopy bed in the middle of a red poppy flower hill. Depending on my mood, it could be bright out with deep blue skies and lazy clouds. Or it could be evening, when the stars and fireflies come out to light the dark.

I also imagine it to be a room temperature world because fuck the cold.

I used to tend to a nice fawn in the clouds. Probably dead now, been a long time

Pretty similar. I just place myself in a book or tv or movie. Like for example I want to place myself in the atomic blonde universe. Now I'm a German agent trying to smuggle out something before the other agents catch me.

1 more reply

This is how I’ve always fallen asleep, just imagining fantasy worlds and scenarios. What I think about depends on my mood. Sometimes it’s having super powers, or adventuring through a dungeon, or meeting the love of my life (often in a fantasy world though), or getting something in life I’ve always wanted.

I think it works well. Never takes me longer than about 15 minutes to get to sleep, unless I had too much to drink and have to pee a lot.

Thank goodness someone else does this, I started doing this when I was super young because I couldn't sleep, but knew not to leave my room. So I would construct these worlds and be the princess and eventually the princess would fall asleep in my story and so would I. It progressed into me being able to lucid dream and know what I was doing by 13. I'm 28 and I still have several worlds I go to before I fall asleep. It really is a lot of fun and stress releasing. Sometimes if my work day was really bad and I'm tossing and turning I have to remind myself hey...you can go to your alien world and chill the hell out for a bit and it usually works.

3 more replies

One of the best posts in I've read

I do something similar, I have a basic plot structure of a book I know I will probably never write but I can change different settings or imagine pure detail of the specific scenes and make it match what I am feeling that day!

You should be a DM.

So you Minecraft in your head?

Yeah but with lots of mods and no cave spiders

Fuck cave spiders

OwO

What's this?

//(OwO)\\

Does this help?

Not enough legs.

////(OOOOwOOOO)\\

/╲/\╭(◕◕◕益◕◕◕)╮/\╱\

1 more reply

You have a great life. Pure childlike imagination is where it's at.

I usually have the radio or youtube at a near imperceptible murmur while I sleep, but I do a similar thing while I drift off - usually I try for far less "big" concepts though.

My go-to is to imagine I am a pilot flying through a tight canyon, banking and rolling over a river below, that or I deconstruct and visualize electronics or mechanical objects in my mind, explode them into their component parts, and try to understand the physical relationship between the moving parts and how they go together.

Ah interesting, you should try incessantly worrying about the future, cringing about things you said 11 years ago and regretting all your life choices, it works just as well...

1 more reply

I do that too, but then I end up realising it's now 4am and I need to stop and get my ass to sleep.

40 more replies

I play this weird little game in my head where I try to think of a topic like "Foods" and then think of a food item that begins with each letter of the alphabet. Somehow about halfway thru it, my mind starts wandering and I end up finally drifting off. Its like I'm trying to bore myself to sleep.

Yes! It works!

A similar technique has helped me fall asleep on a regular basis. I’ll come up with a word and for each letter in that word, I’ll think of 5 things that start with that letter. Someone elsewhere on reddit posted it and I figured I’d give it a go.

For example, the word “Amusing”. A is for Apple, A is for Apostrophe, A is for Adventure, A is for Academy, A is for Aliens. M is for Music, M is for Mountain, M is for Margarine, M is for Metal, M is for Marigolds. And so on.

It’s been helpful in reducing anxiety by forcing my brain to focus elsewhere. Sometimes I’ll go through several words but I often fall asleep by the fourth letter. I’ve now gotten other people using it, including my mother, who has trouble with early-waking.

Oh wow! I like that idea, too!! I've been having trouble coming up with different ideas for categories for the alphabet game, so this will be a new one for me to try tonight! And I think that I'd add a "twist" to your version...like for the example you gave "Amusing"...5 things that are amusing that start with each letter in that word! This is great! Thanks so much for sharing this one!!

Ooh...good twist! It is hard to keep myself from using the same words. That damned Apple!

It'll be so much easier to think of words to use for this game than trying to think of categories for the one game I've been using. This should definitely put me into sleep mode quicker!! I'm excited about this one! I seriously can't thank you enough!! I'll have to remember to update ya tomorrow and let you know if it worked any quicker for me!! :)

3 more replies

Yes! I do this! But with animals. I aim to think of at least 4 or 5 animals beginning with each letter before I move on. I've never get more than halfway through the alphabet.

And if I get bored with animals, I move on to countries/cities.

Can't do food though as It makes me hungry :o

4 more replies

Reading

It actually tires me out and makes me sleepy

The only problem with this is I start falling asleep whenever I read now.

The real problem is when you are reading something really good and just can't put the book down. One more chapter all the way until the alarm clock rings.

Ive never made it to my alarm, but two hours before.

Worst day at work, ever.

The first time I did that, as a kid, I finished my book and looked at my clock: 30 minutes before it was set to go off. Figured fuck it it's going to suck more to sleep 30 minutes than it is to not sleep at all. Went downstairs and made breakfast.

My parents were pretty happy with breakfast in bed, until they learned why I was up so "early". Good times.

5 more replies

3 more replies

I have the opposite problem. Reading wakes me up and gets me hyped about the story

Yeah. And God forbid I'm near (relatively) the end. I've read till dawn some nights because I just can't put a book down...

And then the "I've finished a book" hangover...

I always end up pulling an all nighter telling myself ill just read one more chapter

1 more reply

I find it also helps focus and quiet my mind. If I just try to lay down or if I use my phone then my mind races and jumps around. Reading forces my brain to focus on one story and basically tells my brain to chill out.

8 more replies

1.0k points · 6 months ago

Use electronic devices for 3 hours before bed.

2me

irl4

me2thx

1 more reply

Or 4, 5. Really, if you use them for long enough, you'll fall asleep eventually!

I use electronic devices for 16 hours before bed.

20, with a healthy dose of insomnia.

2 more replies

Because of no sun period until 21st of January, I take my D-vitamin capsules and go for a walk. sometimes read.

74 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Apparently you should take vitamin d tabs in the morning because they can interfere with the sleepy melatonin production. I only noticed after crazy insomnia when I started on the supplement and had to look it up.

Edit -glad to be of assistance!

Holy crap! Randomly scrolling through these comments may have just given me an answer I've been looking for for months! I've been struggling with falling asleep for a while now and have had no clue why. I exercise regularly, eat healthy, and don't spend time on devices before bed.

But I started taking Vitamin D supplements nightly a few months ago. Stumbling across this comment may have just given me a solution. I'll have to try this out.

Same, I just realized why I couldn't sleep this week. I've been getting 4hrs max at night.

1 more reply

Didn't know actually. But I try to take it earlier. Depends if I remember or not.

1 more reply

If I go for a walk after dark in my country I'll get shot so I think I'll just stick to reading

What's the temperature

3 degrees celcius

Less cold than I expected, Canada and east coast USA is way below freezing much further south.

We've been experiencing some unseasonably mild weather this week! Was colder just a week before

3 more replies

no sun until 21st ive never heard of? which country is this

Northern Canada, Alaska, Norway, etc.

Norway. Specifically Tromsø.

1 more reply

Getting closer to the arctic circle countries get less and less sun during winter. Eventually there are times when the sun doesn't rise. In this case, It's Norway

1 more reply

knitting or having a shower.

Why not both?

why not knit the shower

Edging

I feel you bro.
Keep fighting the good fight!

6 more replies

Talk with my wife, or have sex.

but then what?

have sex or talk with his wife

while browsing reddit though right?

How does he browse reddit without any electronic device ?

Because he is a electronic device

the shamalan twist

Bruce Willis was an iPhone all along!

2 more replies

he browses reddit on his wife using sexual movements to navigate duhhh

1 more reply

Comment deleted6 months ago(5 children)

5 more replies

3 more replies

What else are you going do extra 58 minutes?

3 more replies

So, no hope for the rest of us

So 55 minutes of talking and 5 minutes of sex?

Me too thanks

6 more replies

Cry.

Hang in there. Crying means you can still feel.

I've lost my zest for life.

But apparently not your humour

It's better than being lemoncholy.

I think you'd have fun here: r/Punny

1 more reply

It's all those lemons you're peeling, man. I keep telling you, that shit irritates the holy hell out of your eyes!

It's an unappeeling task, but life keeps giving me them.

9 more replies

I live near a 24 hour coffee shop so I head there for some chamomile tea and to shoot the shit with the regulars. Since I'm an introvert, the socializing wears me out and makes me ready for bed when I get home.

genuinely curious, how does socializing for an hour each day make you introverted?

Introverts can socialize and like it, it just drains you after a while.

One of my best friends is an introvert. He’s insanely good at casual conversations with others and is one of the loudest ones in my circle but he also spends an inordate amount of time recurperating at home after a day out with us.

I think you are my friend 😀

1 more reply

I've got no idea if this is even remotely accurate, but I once heard that there's essentially two circuits in your brain for processing conversation.

There's a long circuit that really focuses on everything and analyses what's being said before formulating a response, and there's a short circuit that bypasses that and just responds reflexively. "Extroverts" tend to use the short circuit, so socialising is a low-energy activity. "Introverts" tend to use the long circuit, so socialising takes more energy and is mentally draining after a while. Most people lie somewhere in the middle and use a mix of both.

That doesn't mean that extroverts hate quiet time and introverts hate people, like the Reddit stereotype would have you believe. It just means that some people find socialising easy most of the time, while some people often find socialising to be an activity that demands energy.

I did get this from a drunk guy at a party though, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Reddit has taught me that alcohol can increase your mental capabilities, so I'm inclined to believe you

2 more replies

I just googled the key words from what you said and oh my goodness, this has just clarified a lot of things about social interaction that I've never understood. https://www.google.com/amp/s/musingsonmormonism.wordpress.com/2012/09/17/easily-the-most-fascintaing-and-illuminating-comparison-of-introversion-and-extroversion-ive-ever-seen/amp/

Oh, hey, that guy might not have been full of shit! :D

I think he was studying neuroscience to be fair. But also, we were both very very drunk so it was completely possible that he miscommunicated or that I misunderstood.

1 more reply

Introvert does not equal shy.

Introvert just means social interaction can be exhausting. More so than most people would experience.

3 more replies

Its not the socializing for an hour that makes him an introvert, and doing it doesnt make him less an introvert.

I believe this is just a common confusion of definitions, but introvert doesn't necessarily mean "doesn't like socializing". Being introverted means being around people slowly exhausts you, and being alone "re-energizes" you in a way. For example, I'm introverted, but I love talking with people, strangers, friends whatever. However, after a couple hours of that, I get tired of that, and feel the need to retreat. I enjoy the socialization, but I need a break. Hope that makes sense!

Because the social interaction drains him instead of energizing him. That’s what’s being an introvert means

4 more replies

2 more replies

I used to be one of those that "couldnt" sleep. Id have the games going or a movie, etc... I honestly killed my own appetite for those things. Ive been playing video games and watching tv since i was 7.

Hell I used to play a game called Everquest, an old school MMORPG and i would grind exp using a kitchen timer because Id try to play as much as I could in the summer so Id grind exp but then i needed to wait 15 min to replenish my mana and hp, so id be so tired id set the timer for that 15 min n then wake up. I did this throughout the night untill I just didnt wake up anymore.

Ive been used to being so tired at work and at school that it eventually just made me hate not sleeping. Nowadays, I know exactly what the signal is for sleep, its so subtle...

The moment my body speaks that note it doesnt matter anymore what im doing, a party, out with friends, gaming, watching tv, reading, etc... I go home and go to bed because none of that shit is going anywhere nor can it top feeling rested. Ive been up since 6am even now and i just started playing AQ3D on my phone last night, which was really fun but once i felt tired around the 930 mark I basically just dropped my phone on my bed and passed out within 5 min.

These days you cant stop me from sleeping, its one of my fav things and ways to end a day. Fuck anything else lol. Its not worth it.

Yeah I've started paying attention to when my body signals the need for sleep, too. It definitely varies depending on the day. When you ignore it and put it off for an hour, you can't fall asleep at aaaall.

nothing like drifting off to sleep when you're dirt fucking tired

Original Poster121 points · 6 months ago

I'm beginning to feel slightly dumb after reading some of these replies, keep them coming please!

But.... Where are you reading them? Is someone printing and mailing them to you?

He's reading them by carrier pigeon sent by the Pope.

Get out of here with your sorcery.

Read a book with my SO

As in you both read books? Or you both read the same book?

She reads one sentence, I read the next. Doesn't everyone do this?

Picturing you both doing it simultaneously is making me lol

2 more replies

Comment deleted6 months ago(1 child)

3 more replies

Comment deleted6 months ago(2 children)

2 more replies

I just imagine I’m in a one room cabin in the woods. There’s a fire going. I’m snuggled up in the bed.

It’s snowing outside.

Fuck me it's 6 pm and I want to sleep now with that image.

2 more replies

Wild that this question just came up since I started a new habit 5 days ago of turning off my electronics an hour before bed. I have an alarm on my phone that goes off to remind me. 9:30 is screens off, 10:30 is lights out and 6:30 a.m. is wakeup. I read and think for the last hour. It's been good because even 45 minutes in, I'm feeling ready for sleep. This is completely new for me. Until now I just stayed up till I felt tired and used whatever devices I wanted. I wouldn't sleep deeply and even stopped dreaming. Last night it felt like I was dreaming all night, and the past two nights I've gotten 11 hours of sleep (when my alarm goes off at 6:30 I decided to keep sleeping haha)! I haven't slept more than 10 hours in one night for probably a decade or that one time I stayed up in college for 32 hours straight!! Going to try to keep this habit going.

I spend an hour thinking about brushing my teeth, then putting toothpaste on my toothbrush, setting it down, and forgetting to brush my teeth.

Masturbate

3 more replies

I play with my cats.

78 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Prison is a hard place to sleep during the day or night.

I used my imagination most of the time to get to sleep. This may sound kind of morbid, but I use to imagine breaking out of prison using special powers and violence.

I use to imagine having special powers that would dissolve or liquify the cell door right as the guards where outside doing count. I’d walk out and vaporize them. More guards would come and aim their guns down at me as I walked down the hallway towards them.

The lights in the hallway would then bust or turn off above me the closer I walked to them bouncing their bullets back to them killing the first line of guards then the weapons would instantly fall apart sort of like Magneto’s power. Then I’d power choke them or something similar.

Usually I’d fall asleep when I got to this part.. kind of fucked up, nerdy and weird. Never have told anybody about this because it sounds so crazy.

Also most guards don’t have guns in prison.. the rifle towers do, but guards walking around the tiers don’t.

Fucking hell

I don't approve of killing cops, but I can understand why someone trapped in a cell would fantasize about breaking out. Particularly during the irrational moments before falling asleep.

This remind me of hallway scene with Darth Vader

I lay next to my husband and write songs to the rhythm of his snores

14 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

I journal, really helps me unwind the day! reflecting and putting feelings and plans into words does help me with going to sleep at ease.

I imagine light saber battles.

Someone else on Reddit(?) I think suggested it and it works. Maybe it's because my childhood self was obsessed with Star Wars and my brain subconsciously clicks after all my great Star Wars related memories and I just relax and doze off.

Kinda lame but it works. Works with Lego too sometimes.

This and Pokémon battles.Except I rarely don't have my phone or something in bed at night.

1 more reply

Study. This is what University (College) does to you.

Truer words have never been spoken. The amount of times I've found myself awake at 2am is disgusting.

Even as a high school senior… when it's mass tests time, oh boy. 2AM stay ups are the norm

Sleep. /s

I plug my phone up across the room where I can't reach it. I close my eyes and do mindfulness meditation until I fall asleep.

Meditation should be be much higher!

1 more reply

Read, knit, do crosswords, crochet.

I also knit, crochet or do crosswords

Drink coffee.

It does not help.

Read and draw.

1 more reply

I usually start falling asleep on the couch, so I just get up and go to bed and fall asleep in a few minutes.

I play hide the sausage

I have a notebook where I spend 10-15 minutes writing about my day - things I want to remember to share with someone such as my mom or my SO (LD relationship), things that made me happy/things I'm grateful for, things that I know I'll dwell on while trying to sleep, sometimes even things I want to remember for the next day. It doesn't help me plan or prioritize but it does release things from floating around my head, and it puts me in a positive frame of mind before I sleep. (The positive stuff is the most important for this!)

Another thing to note - I turn off all my overhead lights and write/get ready for bed using a lower light lamp. I found that overhead lights keep me awake but dim light is a cue now for me to wind down to sleep.

2 more replies

I read or sew depending on what is available at the time.

Sew if I have something small that can be done by hand (loose buttons, smaller holes in seams, decorative stitching that I can only do by hand, etc.) And read if I don't. (Usually my chem textbook or some sort of fantasy novel. I'm working on rereading the Witcher Saga atm.)

Sex. Then I read a book for the remaining 57 minutes.

Spend that time reading. Dim the lights. After about 30 minutes I am tired and ready to fall asleep.

Scoop litter boxes, get breakfast/coffee/lunch ready, take my melatonin, read, sleepily snuggle with husband.

I go to bed.. your mind is peaceful when there isn't any background anything going on. Just lay there and think of memories, or good things in the day. Read, talk to someone in the house like a wife or girlfriend. If you know you want or need a certain time for sleep, finish your electronic stuff and hour ahead of that time desired. It's a better overall feeling.

Man if I lay down with nothing to do I'll probably be thinking about how meaningless my life is in less than 5 minutes

Everyone's life has meaning. Regardless of impact. You're living for you. Keep it up.

What if I don't care about me? I don't know what to live for, or why I even live. All I can ever think of when I try to go to sleep are my issues with focusing at work and being terrified of being out-competed and left behind or fired.

If it's any consolation I have the same experience

1 more reply

And that's why we have a hard time putting down our phones...

Then you have 55 minutes to sort it out. Listen to yourself.. no one else knows you better

1 more reply

I’m sincerely glad to hear your mind is peaceful, but given no outside stimulus my mind tends to descend into a mess of anxiety

4 more replies

11 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

You can't say you go to bed before you go to bed.

4 more replies

Read.

Read a book

260 more replies

/r/AskReddit is the place to ask and answer thought-provoking questions.

r/AskReddit Rules
Rule 1 - Questions must be clear and direct
Rule 2 - No personalized advice requests
Rule 3 - Open ended questions only
Rule 4 - No personal info
Rule 5 - No loaded questions
Rule 6 - No questions seeking professional advice
Rule 7 - No begging for goods or services
Rule 8 - No demeaning terms or personal attacks
Rule 9 - No image only replies or large ascii art
Comments in [Serious] posts must be on topic
Ideas for r/AskReddit

Do you have an idea or feedback for r/AskReddit? Submit it to: