Archived

What is something obvious you took too long to realize?

1.3k comments

Cows need to have babies to produce milk.

A pastry chef told me this once. I felt like that stoner meme

Never thought of that...

2 more replies

Most milk comes from artificially impregnating a cow and then taking the calf away immediately or shortly after birth so the milk her body makes for her baby can go to the grocery store instead.

Also fuels the whole veal industry...

13 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

I learnt this at a dairy farm, I also learnt the life expectancy of male cattle isn't too long

5 more replies

That Blue from Blue's Clues is a girl. In hindsight, Steve used female pronouns all the time but my child brain associated the color blue with boys.

Wasn't there a pink "Blue" as well?

You mean Magenta?

Oh yeah! http://bluesclues.wikia.com/wiki/Magenta

And TIL there's a Blue's Clues Wiki.

Almost everything has it's own wiki

3 more replies

On this same page, I thought Nermal was a girl.

Wait, Nermals not a girl? That can't be right...googled it and your right, WTF? He's smaller and has those huge eyelashes, learned something new tonight.

1 more reply

I thought paprika was just salt and pepper mixed together until age 23.

But... it’s red...

1 more reply

On the other side, my sister always thought Jerry from Tom and Jerry was a girl. There was an argument that ended with a google.

10 more replies

Wait what?

10 more replies

9 more replies

Just because someone is mad at you, doesn’t mean you did anything wrong

Where is my FREAKING phone!

Is that an Andy punching the wall reference? Because The Return is my favourite episode

17 more replies

I'm gonna lose my FREAKING MIND!

4 more replies

Truth. My fiancee works nights so she comes home while I'm still asleep. One day she came home and fell down the stairs to our bedroom, i immediately hopped out of bed to see if she was ok and she started yelling at me to get the fuck away from her. I was super confused.

Wtf

8 more replies

I had poor vision until 10th grade. Never crossed my mind it could be better until my teacher noticed I was squinting too hard to see the board.

I'm not sure that's exactly obvious when you've never had the ability to view the world any different. I never knew I needed glasses until I took the eye exam to get my driving permit at 15.

My nearsightedness took years to manifest, and I mostly didn't notice. What little I did notice, I was in denial of.

I went home after finally getting my glasses at 14 generalize why my mom kept whining about my lazy cleaning. I didn't know what dust looked like, I thought every mom made it up or something! I even remember how filthy and fingerprinted my Windows were lol

10 more replies

You mean it's not me noggin it's me peepers?

1 more reply

My programming teacher pointed out that I was squinting to read the code being projected. I got glasses and now contacts and I never would have even known I had eyesight issues without that comment.

This is me in 4th grade. Schools gave free checkups every year and I failed every single one. And somehow the school never once notified my parents. I'm legally blind in my left eye and only until my mother asked why I was reading with no left eye closed was it discovered. Why the fuck would you have free checkups if you don't notify the parents that the kid failed...?

When my boss got her son glasses one of the first things he said was "wow look mama did you know leaves had lines on them?" You don't know what you're missing til you aren't missing it anymore.

16 more replies

I never realized until I was in college that the song I thought was Secret Asian Man was actually saying Secret Agent Man. 🤦🏼‍♀️

14 more replies

My dad was not afraid of rodents. He just told me that to get out of going to Chuck E Cheese (whose mascot was a giant mouse.) I didn’t figure it out until my cousins, the daughters of my dad’s identical twin, said their dad had lied about the same thing. I was about 17.

Maybe Chuck wasn't the rodent he was afraid of, he knew better than to eat their pizza!

1 more reply

If he wasn't afraid of rodents, why would he use that excuse to get out of going there?

Am I being dumb and missing something here?

You're not being dumb. Their dad lied claiming he was afraid of rodents. They realized later that he wasn't and was just using his lie to get out of going to Chuck E Cheese.

3 more replies

That Diagon Alley was really diagonally. And Knockturn Alley was nocturnally. About two years ago, I was sitting in The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter having butter beer ice cream and finally figured it out.

Grimmauld Place was actually Grim Old Place. That's what I love about JK Rowlings use of names. Some are in depth, really thought out with historical or mythical connections. Others are Grim Old Place where Black Dog and Werewolf McWerewolf spent their time

tbf they 'spell' it out in the second movie, and no double pun was not intended, just didn't know a better word to use

6 more replies

Original Poster1.4k points · 6 months ago

The division symbol is an empty fraction

HOLY SHIT WHAT THE HECK. These realizations are what keeps me going even through my darkest days.

No need to cuss. Please say h*ck.

NO SWEARING ON THIS CHRISTIAN REDDIT SERVER

5 more replies

Fuck dude. How the fuck.

... Man I gotta get off reddit. This shits heavy

Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?

Mind. Blown.

67 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Holy hell... you just blew my mind harder than anything.

Jesus Christ I have a master's in math and this just blew my mind.

Now you can get your black belt in math!

And the Percent sign is an empty Percentage. %

8 more replies

I'm laughing at these people flipping out.

2 more replies

Yeah, I had a teacher point that out. Never would have seen it otherwise.

Fuck me

Gladly my friend

Omg

31 more replies

That “XING” stands for “crossing”

I’m Chinese and this confused me so much when I was a kid. “Who is Ped Xing and why are so many signs named after him?”

Side note, you’ve got a hilarious username.

Haha. It's true! I asked my Beijing friend what cows say and she said "murr."

2 more replies

Actually, the signs are there to warn of the headless Xing Tian wanting to fight people with an axe. They put the lines on the road so cars could stop and give people room to run away.

When I figured that one out I started wondering why Christmas is sometimes shortened to "X-mas".

That one is because X comes from the Greek letter Chi which is the first letter of Christ in Greek.

2 more replies

This little piggy went to Market. I always thought he was going to the supermarket it only clicked a couple of years ago where he was really going. I'm 26

Nooo! This jus broke my heart at 32

I'm 40. I'm devastated

Hi devastated! I’m dad

1 more reply

NOOOOO How did I not know this was about the slaughter of pigs? My childhood has been ruined. Now I cannot even do that with my grandchildren without thinking of that....

Same reaction haha. I was gobsmacked when I figured it out

1 more reply

I dunno - that little piggy going to market, as in to be sold by a butcher, isn’t consistent with what the other piggies were up to.

It is apparently a whole instruction manual on how to manage a pig farm.

Market- going to market

Stayed at home - breeding stock

Eating roast beef - getting fattened

Ate none- apparently you don't feed pigs for a bit before they go to slaughter

Wee wee wee one - just a fun loving pig that likes tickling children and is happy to not be next in line for the chop.

4 more replies

Well, he DID go to the supermarket.

13 more replies

Not me, but one of my friends only realised that the word alphabet is from the Greek letters alpha and beta, a couple of years ago.

Well i didn't know that until right now. Shit.

Original Poster94 points · 6 months ago

I felt this one

Yep. It's the Greek version of saying "ABCs"

9 more replies

When I was a kid and saw a movie trailer and it said “Coming this August 27 ONLY IN THEATERS” I thought it meant it wouldn’t be released to VHS at a later date and I HAD to see it or else I never will

So I'm not the only one! I remember saying out loud once after seeing that at the end of a trailer, "darn, and that one looks really good! Shame it won't ever come out on tape."

I was a dull child.

6 more replies

I'm gay.

lol that's so gay

5 more replies

5 more replies

Not everyone has your best interests at heart.

Not everyone has their own best interests at heart. Some people are just fucking random

I would say they have their own best interest at heart, they just don't have it at brain. People are not good at figuring out what will make them happy.

When used as a noun:

Blonde - female Blond - male

Damn. 45 years old and I still get at least one TIL daily on Reddit.

Fiancée is female.

Fiancé is male.

Fianceeeeeeeeeeeeeeee is neutral

4 more replies

15 more replies

When I was a kid, my mom used to encourage us to eat carrots by saying it would give us better eyesight. She joked that you never see a rabbit wearing glasses on. Since I was a kid, I thought, "That is true! So she must be right!"

It took me a while to realize that she was making a joke and it was dumb to think that any animal would even be wearing glasses.

It started as allied propaganda during WW2 to cover up the fact that they had radar to locate enemy planes.

4 more replies

2 more replies

To stop kicking my own ass. Continuing to be upset about an event was just ME causing ME grief, so stop it.

I realized this after being pulled over by a cop for what I believed was a bullshit reason. I only got a warning and the cop went on his way, but I was pissed off. It finally dawned on me that the cop had went on with his day and probably wasn't giving me another thought. Thus at this point I was the one causing me grief and not the cop. No amount of me fussing was going to change the cop's mind.

3 more replies

They’re called soft drinks because they don’t contain hard alcohol

Fun fact: early sodas were alcoholic because they relied on yeast to provide the carbonation

Technically not true (which Reddit knows is the best kind of not true) since the name soda implies that the beverage was carbonated using sodium salts.

Early bubbly drinks, however .....

1 more reply

Bruises are internal bleeding. I don’t know what I thought they were before I knew that.

Interal bleeding is a good thing right? That's where blood is supposed to be.

Is that a reference to Brooklyn 99? Apologies if it isn't

11 more replies

Well kind of, it's subdermal bleeding. Internal bleeding usually refers to organs bleeding into your body cavity.

Sitcom is short for situation comedy.

I used to think it was because you watched TV while sitting down.

4 more replies

29 more replies

In Missy Elliot's song "Work It", the seemingly nonsense gibberish after the "I put my thing down, flip it and reverse it" is in fact "Ti esrever dna ti pilf nwod gniht ym tup I", the previous lyric, reversed.

I didn't know that either til you just posted it now.

6 more replies

Just because someone's telling you want their problem, doesn't mean they expect or even want you to fix it.

They need to vent, or to have some validation that they are seen as a person, and that they are going through some shit right now.

The D in the Disney logo is not a backwards G

My bf pronounces it Gisney sometimes. Wouldn't be so bad if he used a hard G instead of a J sound... 😓

5 more replies

Gisnep

3 more replies

Cupertino is a place not just Apple trying to be cool.

5 more replies

Beyoncé’s long and full blond hair being a weave.

When I grew up (the 2000s in France, but not Paris), all black women around me had relaxed hair. Weave was not really a thing there back then. So when I saw Beyoncé as a teenager on TV, with her full, blond, straight and bouncy hair, I assumed that it was her real hair, and she just had an army of stylists at her service and amazing products that allowed her to grow long and healthy hair, while still relaxing AND coloring it (normally, chemical relaxers and chemical coloring together lead to disaster, hair not growing, split ends, hair thinning, etc.). I just didn’t know you could sew someone else’s hair to your cornrows to make it look like your own hair. And I was very jealous, because having long straight hair was all I wanted then. But much later I learned about weaves, and I figured out that Beyoncé’s hair was just that, and honestly I felt cheated. I felt as if teenager me had been actively lied to, by letting me believe her own hair was some kind of attainable goal. Thankfully I got over wanting non-black hair, and now I just rock my natural hair.

1 more reply

I genuinely believed "elemeno" was a letter in the alphabet between "k" and "p"

5 more replies

It's called Chick-fil-A because it's a Chicken Filet. My daughter had to clue me in when I asked why it was called Chick-fil-A.

Roast beef.

R.b.

Arby's

Raffel Brothers, the founders.

4 more replies

Oh. My. God.

Sorry, false : wiki The brothers wanted to call their restaurants "Big Tex", but that name was already used by an Akron business. Instead, they chose the name "Arby's", based on R. B., the initials of Raffel Brothers.

6 more replies

20 more replies

That its pay per view and not paper view

Holy shit, I thought it was paper view. Damn, I'm retarded...

8 more replies

3 more replies

311 points · 6 months ago(46 children)
126 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

History major here. That is actually a misjudgement in itself.

There are plenty of historical documents in the forms of tax papers, marriage license, land titles, etc... (you get the idea). In fact, there are more documents for us to study from the Middle Ages to learn about the people living in it than there are from ancient Roman times.

If you ever have any history type questions, head on over to r/AskHistorians. It's one of the few big subs on this site that is entirely professional and has plenty willing to dedicate their expertise to answer any question you may have, kinda like this one here which sorta pertains to your comment

So why was it called the dark ages?

Not the same guy, but I thought it was called the Dark Ages because education was very very limited to the lower classes, and so therefore very few are enlightened. Hence, dark.

14 more replies

7 more replies

I thought it was called the Dark Ages because the sun hadn't been invented yet

There were too many knights.

Good one

3 more replies

As much as I understand that its stupid as hell my dumb ass brain always wants to associate "dark ages" with a lack of electricity. No electricity meant it was dark, right

/s kinda not really

13 more replies

That people can be mean. Seriously, for most of my life I thought that people were naturally good and sometimes were mean because they were having a bad day, not because they were actually mean people. I'm 32 BTW, so yeah, I've just figured that one out.

I’m 16, experienced an expensive lesson several months ago, and couldn’t believe how I hadn’t realised it

And it’s funny how reddit is enforcing that “people is most likely to have a bad day” mindset to encourage others to stop worrying.

There are mean and shitty people, it’s just that you should know to not letting them occupy your mind while staying alert to those types.

28 more replies

The French word for good is bon, the word for day is jour. So bonjour literally translates to good day. Took my 3 years of French classes to notice.

162 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Similarly, "bonsoir" means good evening, "bonne nuit" means good night, and "Bon Jovi" means good times.

EDIT: made the comment better

12 more replies

Elevators ding once for going up, twice for going down for blind people.

I've never even noticed this. Do they all do it?

Only for blind people.

Comment deleted6 months ago(3 children)

5 more replies

When people find something and say the phrase, "It's always in the last place you look" it means that since you found the lost thing, you wouldn't keep looking. I realized this when my friend lost his car keys, and we looked everywhere. Finally, on a whim, I ask him to check the trunk of his car, since that's where he puts his groceries and he might have dropped his keys when taking the groceries out. Sure enough, he popped it open, and was immediately decapitated by a shinobi from a rival clan. I always thought it meant that it was "the last place you think to look", and people just shortened the expression.

hol' up a sec...

Comment deleted6 months ago(1 child)

Lol, username checks out

13 more replies

Gloria Estefan is one person, Its not Gloria & Stefan.

Quesadilla = queso + tortilla

Or, queso + bocadilla. Cheese sandwich.

7 more replies

3 more replies

That volleyball isn’t ‘ball-e-ball’.

That mince pies aren’t actually made with mince meat.

Always thought they were made with mince meat, never understood why people ate them cold. Whenever anyone asked if I wanted one, I’d always say “no thank you, I don’t like them”, and left it at that.

I only found out they weren’t made with mince meat about 7 years ago at work when a colleague asked if I wanted one, but then asked why when I said I didn’t like them.

I’m 35.

ELIA (Explain Like I'm American)

Then what is a mince pie?

Mini pie/tart filled with a sort of jammy mix of dried fruit and warm spices.

I'd rather have a cold version of what I thought it was.

1 more reply

It’s a sweet pie, filled with minced, spiced, dried fruit. Usually made with sultanas, currants, raisins and citrus peel, flavoured with nutmeg, cinnamon and brandy. There’s any number of variations, but that’s the basic idea.

11 more replies

15 more replies

That Patric Star is so stupid because he lives under a rock...
I'm 22 and only just discovered this like two or three weeks ago.

1 more reply

Flo Rida (the rapper) if you put his name together it says Florida.

My favorite tho is City and Color. The artist's actual name is Dallas Green. Which is a city and a color.

6 more replies

100 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Y'know how the circumference of a circle is 2πr?

So to get the radius, you divide by 2π.

And to get the diameter, you multiply the radius by 2.

OR

You could just divide by π.

I was literally dividing by 2 and then multiplying that by 2. This was in an engineering class. I may need to reconsider what I'm doing with my life.

13 more replies

Token Black from South park is named that because he's the Token Black Character.

I only noticed when they added Miss Conduct, and Strong Woman...

My spouse isn't from the U.S. or a native English speaker. He watches a lot of South Park, but the show's not up my alley. Once I overheard an episode he was watching with Token (I'd never heard of this character before) and I started laughing, shaking my head "Token... nice..." and he was like huh? I had to explain what Token meant in this context and I love that I expanded his understanding of a show he'd been watching for years.

9 more replies

That Dustin Hoffman played Hook. I was in high school/college before I realized.

3 more replies

That Ozzy wasn't saying "I am Islandman".

8 more replies

I never understood why the Chik-fil-a marketing cows gave a shit about whether or not I ate chicken. I didn’t understand why the cows were constantly telling me to eat more chicken until I realized that they want me to eat more chicken.... because if I’m eating chicken.... I’m not eating cows. Very clever. Took me a long time to understand.

They didn't have chick fil a in Hawaii but still ran the commercials and when we moved to the mainland when my son was 11 he saw his first Chick fil a and he said excitedly "Mom look! It's eat more chicken!!"

1 more reply

The Hard Rock Cafe was referring to a genre of music, not stones which were solid. The giant guitar tipped me off

That the under armour symbol is like a U on top of an A

96 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

I thought it was Coldstone Crematory for the longest time. I thought it was odd that there was a chain of body-burning around town, but hey, whatever.

It wasn't until some guy asked if I wanted to go get some ice cream at Coldstone with him that I realized my mistake. My thought process literally was: He doesn't seem goth or disrespectful, so why would he want to eat ice cream at a Crematory? Is that even allowed? Would we bring the ice cream because crematories don't serv- OH. I GET IT NOW.

Edit: it may have been Marble Slab, actually. Either or.

HOW

Dying laughing here

6 more replies

Do you know how long it took me to realize there was a civil war going on in Skyrim? Like, six months. I didn't even understand most of what was going on in the main quest until much later. I was just too busy rampaging the countryside killing bandits and stealing their horses to pay attention to the lore.

Eh, more a fault on Bethesda than you. That's one of my criticisms of the game, people talk real big about this huge civil war going on and yet you never actually see any of it outside of the bland Imperial/Stormcloak quests.

14 more replies

Pickles are just cucumbers that have been pickled in vinegar. I thought they were there own vegetable.

2 more replies

Mayor Pauline in New Donk City is who Donkey Kong kidnapped in his first arcade cabinet game. I'm about 700 moons in and just realized this a couple days ago.

The festival should have tipped you off even if you didn't make the connection the first time you saw her.

1 more reply

That Kim Jong-Un's first name isn't Kim... It occurred to me around week ago. I feel really stupid.

I only knew because there was a Korean girl in my sister's class in elementary and her last name (first) was Kim and it had to be explained to everyone.

9 more replies

That pineapples do not grow like apples, pears, etc. and that they grow like this. I think I was in my early 20s.

5 more replies

Comment deleted6 months ago(7 children)

7 more replies

The Doobie Brothers - for some reason I assumed doobie was their last name. Ironically I figured this out high as a kite

1 more reply

that the lights which turn on when you put a car in reverse are clear because they're essentially rear headlights

2 more replies

The South Park movie's title, Bigger, Longer, and Uncut, was a dick joke.

It never occurred to me for practically 20 years until recently.

1 more reply

That Blink 182’s album “take off your pants and jacket” is really saying “take off your pants and jack it”.

2 more replies

That my freshman dorm was mostly girls.

No, nothing sexy happened. I'm still socially inept.

2 more replies

All of us must believe in UFO's.

all UFO's are real because they are by definition, 'unidentified flying objects.'

Now, whether or not we believe they are alien spacecraft is a different matter.

7 more replies

Dominos pizza. I never really paid attention to exactly what that logo was. Last year I realized it is an actual domino. I am 25

4 more replies

My native language is not English, but still.

That K9 units are called like that because that's how you pronounce "canine".

That the black guy from "This is Us" is the same guy from the OJ series and not the guy from Psych.

The guy from Psych isnt the kid from the Cosby show either.

6 more replies

6 more replies

I shouldn’t get married or live with someone again.

4 more replies

89 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

1st - First

2nd - Second

3rd - Third

4th - Fourth

I used to have a cheap phone with a calendar app that would say 11st, 12nd, and 13rd.

1 more reply

Every English teacher for non English countries will correct you until you learn

1 more reply

... what did you think it was?

13 more replies

Not me, but:

One of my coworkers just realized why you refer to a gay guy's "girlfriend" as a beard last night. He's 20.

Yeah! Only an idiot wouldn't know something as obvious as that! But...maybe just in case there are some people who still can't work it out maybe you should explain it to them...Even though I already know...

Yeah in all seriousness though I knew that you call them a beard but I still don't know why. What does a beard have to do with anything? Why not call them a hat? Or a moustache? 🤔

When a girl is into me.

Five years later, "fuck, I coulda got laid"

It improves with age. I've got it down to about 20 minutes now, so sometimes I can run down the street and catch them.

1 more reply

That the house immediately to right of the one I love in is an airbnb house.

Never understood how they could have so many different cars and family members but they were never all there at once

2 more replies

That one day you can choose to not be around family instead of feeling guilty or obligated to be around people that are really unhealthy for you.

That you don't need certain conditions in which to be happy. You can actively make the decision to react to any of your thoughts or feelings with compassion and even joy. You don't have to ride the rollercoaster in your head, you can just sit quietly and watch it from a bench nearby.

24 more replies

I was a sophomore at Washington State University before I realized our cougar logo is made from the letters W-S-U.

2 more replies

Feather Boas are called that because they are like a feathery boa constrictor.

Figured that out this week. I’m 19.

1 more reply

Cement and Concrete are two different things.

Cement is powder and when mixed with sand, rock and water it becomes Concrete.

So it is actually incorrect to refer to concrete as “cement” because cement alone is just powder.

I always thought this dude on the back of the Alaska Airlines planes was Abraham Lincoln. I was at an embarassingly old age - like late 20s - to have figured out it is, in fact, not Honest Abe but an Alaskan Native.

I used to think it was Bob Marley.

4 more replies

The ending of the Stacy's Mom video. I thought the guy was just stood in the bedroom enjoying the mother sunbathe, I never realised he was jacking off to her.

1 more reply

Movies are short for moving pictures

421 more replies

/r/AskReddit is the place to ask and answer thought-provoking questions.

r/AskReddit Rules
Rule 1 - Questions must be clear and direct
Rule 2 - No personalized advice requests
Rule 3 - Open ended questions only
Rule 4 - No personal info
Rule 5 - No loaded questions
Rule 6 - No questions seeking professional advice
Rule 7 - No begging for goods or services
Rule 8 - No demeaning terms or personal attacks
Rule 9 - No image only replies or large ascii art
Comments in [Serious] posts must be on topic
Ideas for r/AskReddit

Do you have an idea or feedback for r/AskReddit? Submit it to: