Archived

What > $2000 purchase from the last year has had the biggest negative impact on your life?

3.8k comments

I went to Uni too early. I decided to follow what most everyone was doing and go straight after high School. I also didn't give which uni I was going to much though. I (thought I) wanted to study film so I went to the best uni known for it near LA that had accepted me. I was there for 3 months before I realized I was at the wrong uni studying the wrong thing. Now I'm stuck for another semester here knowing after this I'm gonna go back home and head to community college while I figure what I really want to do. At least I figured this out early though. Only a $5,500 loan and a few hundred in textbooks and food. Could be a lot worse if I hadn't figured my mistake sooner. Such is life...

Not really helpful but if I could redo my college experience, I would go to community college. At least for the general education classes like english and history. My first associates degree cost $27k. My second degree will cost $12k. And a lot of the classes that I have taken at community college (second degree) were transferable to the private college for my $27k degree for half the cost.

Good luck!

4 more replies

15 more replies

4.9k points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

The apartment I'm stuck living with my cheating ex in for the next 6 months

Edit: Just wanted to say thank you for all the replies. From the pure human kindness to the jokes, this was really nice to wake up to. Ya'll have me in tears

If 90s sitcoms have taught me anything it’s that you have to use masking tape to separate the apartment into two halves that neither of you is allowed to cross. Then some light hearted shenanigans will ensue, and you’ll end up forgiving her and getting married, breaking up, getting back together, breaking up, and getting back together again

Followed by murder, then meeting her ex in prison and finding out how crazy she really was.

10 more replies

I'm stuck living with my ex in the house. She's wants a really high price to sell it, so it's not selling. She doesn't seem to want to move. If I move out, I still have to pay for half the mortgage, so that doesn't work (I have barely a couple of hundred dollars left per month as is right now). Also, the alimony is not tax deductible as long as you live in the same house. She didn't work, so I'm basically paying her 30% of gross as cash. After taxes, insurance for kids (single insurance would be free) and transportation deductions, I bring in less cash each paycheck than she takes in alimony+child support.

Comment deleted6 months ago(8 children)

And alimony, too. I thought alimony was to maintain a certain standard of living. If they're in the same house with what I am assuming is all of the same stuff, why the need for alimony?

OP needs to get his lawyer on the phone.

7 more replies

God man I'm glad my situation isn't as complicated as that! Stay strong man, I really feel for you.

10 more replies

Is it against the terms of your lease to sublet it?

No its not. She's a redditor so I'm not giving it away but basically there are some circumstances that make it impossible for someone to take the other half.

If it is a 1 bedroom, just sublet it to the guy she cheated on you with. Problem solved.

9 more replies

1 more reply

Oof, that sucks. Best of luck.

8 more replies

1.8k points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Unplug the power cords from the back of some of their electronics once a week or so. Not all the way out but just enough for them not to be able to power whatever it is on. Not from the wall outlet, but where the power cable plugs into the device. With proper spacing of these incidents they won't catch on from the last times for quite a while. It'll probably take 5-10 minutes each time for then to figure it out and will be frustrating and cause worry that their device is fucked. If they have a desktop computer switch to the keyboard or mouse usbs once in a while. The power plugs on PCs and monitors is almost impossible to spot as slightly out if your not thinking it will be unplugged in the first place. Most will glance at it think it's in and continue on with other trouble shooting. TVs are also good, or really anything that has a power plug you can detach.

It's enough to be a fucking pain in the ass without being overly malicious or causing damage. It'd be easy to avoid blame as well because power cords sometimes just come loose on their own.

Petty? Yes. But cheaters deserve random shit like that to go wrong for seemingly no reason on a consistent basis. Anyone willing to give immense pain like that to someone for such minimal short term gain is a bad person.

You gave me a chuckle man but she's not worth wasting anymore mental energy than my subconscious forces me to. I just don't take her seriously anymore.

I'm just going to use the time to work on myself, get out and hit the gym more. I feel like I'll get through this quicker/better by just staying positive

34 more replies

33 more replies

79 more replies

4.2k points · 6 months ago

All the down payments for venue/caterer/dj/photographer for my wedding. Too much family drama associated with the wedding itself, so we (fiancee and I) decided to cancel the wedding and just elope. I'm not spending 10k for a traditional wedding only to have everybody fighting. Fuck that. Cut my losses and save the money for other dreams.

Spend the money on something more enjoyable

2.5k points · 6 months agoGilded1

Things more enjoyable than our experience planning our wedding so far:

1. Dental work

2. Procedure to correct a horribly ingrown toenail

3. Receiving an inbound missile notification

4. Getting punched repeatedly in the genitals and being charged money for every punch.

Procedure to correct a horribly ingrown toenail

I had a horribly ingrown toenail, enough so that the doctor was like, that's pretty fucking bad.

Procedure was a breeze. Two pokes in the beginning to numb the nerves and I didn't feel anything more than a little pressure. Over in less than 10 minutes. And now I can't get another ingrown toenail on that foot. 10/10 will probably do again

I wish wedding planning (or dental work!) was that simple.

I dunno. I found my procedure to be nauseating. I could still feel the jerking/twisting motions from them scraping the wire brush and the jamming of the cotton swabs and the snipping with the scissors. First time I've ever been queasy for a medical procedure.

9 more replies

20 more replies

3. Receiving an inbound missile notification

IDK, the first time I got an inbound missle notification I was at a loss of what to do. If any of you have seen jurrasic world, and remember the scene with the guy running away carrying his alcohol, that was me except with my ice cream. BTW this was not the recent hawaii thing, this was while I was on a ship, and it was a real thing.

22 more replies

22 more replies

6 more replies

Me and my wife did exactly the same for the same reasons! We have never regretted it, good luck!

2 more replies

My husband and I did it right, imo.

25 guests, had a "rehearsal dinner" which was just everyone who was invited going out for dinner the night before, wedding at city hall, dinner at our favorite restaurant in town. I don't know exactly what we paid total but for the judge to come out on a Saturday was $125 and we also paid for my husband's suit rental which wasn't a lot. His parents paid for the rehearsal dinner, my parents paid for my dress and the reception dinner. I don't know how much they spent because they wouldn't tell us, but I'm pretty sure the whole shebang cost less than $4k.

Bliss.

We did the same thing. Instead of a rehearsal dinner, we had a big family BBQ at my sister in law's house. Got married in a park in Niagara falls. 30 people, most of them children, then we all went to play mini putt in our fancy attire.

6 more replies

Y’all did it the correct way for you

25 more replies

62 more replies

4.9k points · 6 months ago

I bought a used nissan Altima for $3k.

The motor blew up before I paid it off.

Mechanic took almost 6 months to put a refurbished motor in it. I call him and he says, it's technically working but I want to send the motor back for a different one. It doesn't sound right.

The mechanic is a friend of my parents, they say "No it's ok, we'll take it."

I say fuck that. If a mechanic says the motors bad, leave that shit.

A family member of mine feels bad for the mechanic and pays him 2,800 and picks up my car. Drops it off in front of my house.

So then I'm in a position where the family member wants 2.8k and the used car lot still wants 1.2k.

Car now has no speedometer. No electronics functioning. Power steering doesn't work - you have to steer it with all of your god damned strength.

Then the motor blows up after driving it for less than 50 miles after it being dropped off.

So I then have to find another vehicle while paying the car lot and telling my family member to fuck off - family thinks I'm an asshole for it and threatens to take me to court.

Yay!

They can take you to court, but They're not gonna get anything out of you. There was no reasonable expectation of you paying that back based on the info you gave us.

1.1k points · 6 months ago

Yeah I know it. I'm not worried about court. The only written communication between us over paying the mechanic is me saying "Do not pay that guy for the still broken car!" And the family member replying with "He's just trying to help you. I hope you find peace..." then I have the clunker the next day.

If that is shown in court I'm pretty sure the judge is going to agree that I had no intention of paying for the car ahead of time and that the family member gave up their cash on their own free will. It wasn't a loan.

What's sad is that I will end up paying for it just to kill the family drama, he's just not happy with how long I'm taking to fork it over. I had to prioritise getting a working vehicle and paying off the car lot before they took me to real court that I'd actually lose, rightfully so.

In the end, the family should have listened to me. I would have waited for the mechanic to get another motor or told him to freaking scrap the car and keep the cash to pay for labor.

The only good thing to come out of all of it is that I now have a jeep grand cherokee that I really like. Got it for a steal at 1.4k 😁

Just say I'm not paying you back. I hope you find peace.

"I am just trying to teach you a lesson. I hope you find peace..."

1 more reply

The "I hope you find peace" line is so toxic when used this way... holy shit... but I guess that's family ..

8 more replies

Or "enjoy your new car. The bill of sale is right where the speedometer should be"

3 more replies

Yeah, I wouldn't pay $2.8K for someone else's bad decision.

1.1k points · 6 months ago

Your family is retarded

36 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Reading his post made my blood boil, my family is the same exact way. They probably wouldn't go to court but the logic is the same. The mechanic said they wanted to get a different engine for it and they went ahead and paid money for it anyway. I'd be asking the family member why they felt they had the right to take your car out of the shop when the mechanic still had work to do.

If the guy wants to pay the family and everything said is true, he is also retarded.

It's all true, but I haven't paid a penny to the family member. Mostly because I had to get another vehicle while paying off the car lot. It simply wasn't possible. Now that everything's said and done, the family is laying the pressure on me to start paying up or go to court lol.

I'm going to take it through a judge if they bring it to that level. The emails between all of us make it clear that nobody is to pay the mechanic for a car he says is still in need of a motor.

Step 1. Go to court

Step 2. Listen to them being told there to fuck off

Step 3. You can now tell them the same and refer to the court's decision, so you do so

Step 4. Have a hug

12 more replies

If they’re stupid enough to pay the mechanic AND bitter enough to go to court over it, I wouldn’t pay them. Maybe just let them have the car. “Here, you paid for it, you keep it”

fucktard

Edit: a word

16 more replies

4 more replies

"I hope u find peace" means they are stupid

It means "I'm angry at you but I'm too stupid to articulate why and I'm not completely sure I understand why I'm angry in the first place".

It means they know exactly what to say but they choose to be a passive aggressive asshole. A person who will go pick up another person's car when the mechanic is ordering a new engine is a whole new level a selfishness and audacity. They defied the mechanic and the person who depends on that vehicle in order to impose their own will. It's impressive just how thoughtless it is.

2 more replies

Don't. Just don't. It's not worth it. You're entirely right here and you shouldn't have to waste money you never needed to pay. You could easily win a possible lawsuit, so don't worry about it.

If you don't think that family member will pull more B.S. then I got a bridge in London to sell you. Basically, you're going to act as an enabler and it's more than likely going to cost you more in the long run.

4 more replies

The fact that you are paying them back for it, could probably be seen as an agreement to pay it back and the court would not side with you.

Similarly if a family member dies and has debt. You are under no legal obligation to pay off their debts. They will harass you, threaten you, etc. but the second you pay back even a cent, it's you recognising and accepting that debt and they can legally hold you to it.

I haven't paid a penny yet, and hadn't thought of that. Will keep it in mind for sure!

8 more replies

I’d tell whoever paid the mechanic to eat a dick, they ignored you and had no reason to get involved

2 more replies

If you pay that family member you're part of the problem. Going along with stupidity is effectively indistinguishable from the stupidity itself.

If you do end up paying that family member, just remember you opened the door when they come to you asking for you to pay for more of their bullshit.

45 more replies

5 more replies

Hey so I bought $2000 worth of Dragon dildos for you, I went ahead and put the box on your porch. If you could pay me back my $2000 that'd be great. Thanks!

He’s just trying to help you get off. I hope you find peace...

Having trouble sitting for a month doesn't constitute peace, Gary.

19 more replies

God I hate people who pay for things without asking first and then expect you to pay them back.

2 more replies

I can do a head gasket on a jeep in a day. Here’s the story of the headgasket on a Nissan taking me 5 months. https://freemodelt.wordpress.com/2016/03/26/nokeyssan-part-2-4/

Funny you say that man! After the nissan ate shit for the second time, I found a jeep grand cherokee for 1.4k and absolutely love it. First time I've had a 4x4 and it's already been a treat to drive in the WV snow.

11 more replies

75 more replies

1.9k points · 6 months ago

This sounds terrible, but an $8000 casket.

My MIL passed, and even though she was a terrible person who my wife hated, she insisted that we pay for this stupidly-fancy handmade casket.

There was a total of 8 people at the funeral (inc the priest, and two attendants from the funeral home)... and now we are finding it really hard to raise the money for keeping our daughter in school.

too bad there's no refunds on caskets

Indeed. They rolled her in, the priest said a little... my BIL lied about how nice his mother was... they played a song... and then they burnt the thing.

Wait, people get cremated in caskets? What's the point in that?!

Funerals aren’t for the dead; they’re for the living.

That's besides the point. Nobody watches the cremation so why are they burning an $8,000 casket with the body? I'm sure there are (still outrageous) rental agreements where you could pay far less for the service and then have the body cremated without a casket.

I did. When my uncle died, there had been stuff in the news about crematoriums that weren't actually burning the bodies. So my aunt had my Dad and I go witness the cremation. In this case, the casket had a false bottom. They lifted the casket and his body was left in a cardboard box with no lid, which they slid into the oven. I have to imagine the casket was a rental. Was a teen, never asked.

Fun fact! In Hindu culture it is customary to cremate the body, and then throw the ashes into the Ganges River. There is only one problem: the traditional wood fire that these bodies are cremated in does not burn hot enough to actual burn the whole body. So they throw the charred muscle and bones in the Ganges River.

8 more replies

34 more replies

10 more replies

4 more replies

Or shitty spouses who prioritize image over the wellbeing of their daughter.

283 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

like really here thats the part that gets me, you want to spend 8k on a box of wood that your just going to burn, well i guess its your money might as well just make a papermache casket out of money though it would probably be cheaper. But you do it at the detriment of your family that is just retarded since u are literally burning or burying the damn thing.

7 more replies

11 more replies

You know what those fuckers do here in Australia?

You buy the expensive casket, and they swap it out for a pine box for cremation. Your not allowed to watch the cremation. This absolute bullshitery was brought to light just last week.

I'm in the US, and when my grandmother passed a little over a decade ago the funeral home asked if any of us wanted to view the cremation. I was offended until I realized why the offer was made.

There was a place outside of Atlanta years ago where they weren't just swapping out the caskets. They weren't even cremating the corpses. They'd throw ashes into a box and bury the corpses in the back yard.

1 more reply

You left out the part where they were then re selling the casket to the next family.

4 more replies

8 more replies

Dang, if people want a $8000 casket they can pay for it before they kick the bucket IMHO!

9 more replies

My father specifically told us to bury him in the cheapest casket we could find.

I think we spend <$800 on it, so less than a 10th of what you paid. It was still very tasteful, and absolutely no one cares about the casket at the funeral as everyone's focused on things that actually matter, like their mutual loss.

I’ve been to more than a few funerals over the years. I do not remember what any of the caskets looked like.

I have real issues with the funeral industry. I think they financially prey on grieving people. It’s awful how much money people spend to bury or cremate their loved ones. How many people really feel like they need their loved ones spending thousands and thousands of dollars on a funeral? I can’t imagine many do. But the family feels guilty and funeral directors talk them into shit. It’s shameful.

5 more replies

My dad always tells me to find a ditch and put him there. I'm not going to jail over some dying wish though.

Comment deleted6 months ago(3 children)

12 more replies

17 more replies

49 more replies

I bought a car last February and I shortly moved into the city a few months after. I currently live in a complex that does not have a private parking lot so I have to park in the streets. The city street cleaning rules are so ridiculous that I have to wake up at 5am every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday to re-park my car. FML

Comment deleted6 months ago(1 child)

1 more reply

Maybe you've thought of this, but does every street near you gets cleaned TThS? I'd try to find a street that doesn't get cleaned on one of those days and just park it there MWF. I'd rather walk home 15-20 mins three times a week than have to get up hella early.

Comment deleted6 months ago(5 children)

5 more replies

12 more replies

3.4k points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Engagement ring. After almost 4 years of dating and her begging to get engaged. Once it happens she does a complete 180 about it and breaks up with me. Took our dog too and didn't even let me say goodbye to him even when my grandmother passed away. God I wasted so much time

Edit: I did get the ring back but I obviously I can't get my money back

929 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

My friends and I discussed this once. There were two lawyers at the time.

They stated that it is not a gift, but part of a marriage contract. If the contract is not fulfilled (getting married), then the ring has to come back.

In South Africa, your law might differ.

Edit: Realising value for the ring is a different story.

He doesn't say whether she took the ring. If she said no then he wouldn't have given it to her. Perhaps she said yes, then changed her mind but kept the ring, in which case yes he should take it back

16 more replies

heads up, she owes you that engagement ring back.

A person does not legally get to keep an engagement ring unless you're married then divorce. In California at least. YMMV.

Oh I got it back and all that. But you can't really get your money back from it

Check with the jeweler just to be sure. Oftentimes the return policy on engagement rings is more generous than for other jewelry.

Ninja edit: obviously YMMV

11 more replies

Probably one of the better outcomes in that situation though. Rather than wasting even more time

2 more replies

That is messed up. I’m sorry! I’d be pissed if my ex took my dog.

102 more replies

The reno'd bathroom. Literally 4x8. The tile and back splash I chose was cemented to the wall and when the sun shines thru the blurred window, it casts an illusion of a smoky fucking cloud in the bathroom. So every time I ascend the stairs, look into that optical illusion and it looks like the bathroom is filling with smoke. Fools me every time and I think the house is on fire.

11 more replies

1.6k points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Motorcycle. Love it, it's a fun, affordable way to get around town.

But boy my ribs still ache when it rains.

EDIT for clarity: lost control of my motorcycle in bad road conditions, broke some ribs in the ~20m fall/tumble/slide. They ache when it rains. Safety gear did a fairly good job, but unfortunately my riding jacket at the time lacked any sort of chest protection (it did, however, have shoulder, arm, and back protection). Because of this, the only major injury was the chest trauma. New jacket has chest protection.

Big thanks to the strangers who took time out of their lives to drag me and my bike out of the road, and stay with me until the ambulance arrived. Big thanks to the paramedics who deal with this sort of thing every day. Also thumbs up to Mountain Equipment Coop for making a backpack that survived with just some minor abrasions, and to Apple for making the laptop that was in that backpack, is dented and slightly bent from the crash, but still works fine.

PSA from a novice rider to anyone interested in getting into riding a motorcycle: safety gear is sexy. From chatting with the paramedics (and looking at the state of my gear afterwards), having a full face helmet saved me some serious reconstructive surgery of the face. No helmet would have been dead, brain bucket would have been "let's build you a new jaw." Gloves with reinforced wrists and knuckles kept my hands and wrists intact in the initial fall. Arm, and shoulder protection on the jacket probably saved me a few more fractures and some surgery as well. Knee and hip protection on the pants kept my legs from getting too torn up in the tumble. Don't be that crazy who is burning down the highway in a tshirt, shorts, and sandals.

I feel your pain. I have a GSXr that for reasons I had to drive to work one day (30 minutes on the high way). Normally that's not bad. But it was about 0 degrees Celsius. On the drive home at 9pm it had dropped to -5 and was snowing/raining the whole way.

RIP fingers.

11 more replies

As a guy who hasn't got the slightest idea what you're talking about: What are you talking about?

Highway speed+exposed body+rain= ow ow ow ow ow OUCH ow ow ow

Wow I never considered that.. Can you compare the pain to something non-riders such as myself have experienced? Please let me live vicariously through your misery.

47 more replies

If he’s fully geared up and has a helmet with a face shield, it shouldn’t be a big issue. I don’t like to ride my motorcycle in serious rain just because it’s hard to see and makes the road dangerous, but for light drizzle some water droplets don’t do shit because I’m wearing all my gear. Leaving exposed body parts is just kind of unsafe and stupid.

Generally would be most worried about falling and becoming a meat crayon or some random debris bouncing up and going straight through me myself. Armored gear is a must

Comment deleted6 months ago(1 child)

4 more replies

9 more replies

9 more replies

Bullets to my arms and body when you're on the highway and gotta ride it out, still wouldn't trade it for anything though =)

49 more replies

1.1k points · 6 months ago

A Kenmore side by side fridge it just keeps breaking. Hell it has a hole in the floor of it both drawers shattered and the shelf are breaking

We got our money back on ours, theyre shitty

2 more replies

This is why you purchase large appliances with a credit card that doubles the manufacturer warranty. One phone call and you'd have a full refund even years later.

18 more replies

...Why not take it back?

11 more replies

24 more replies

Lasik. I experience dryness, halos and starbursts. My right eye is slightly blurry and causes a ghost image that becomes predominant when looking at contrasting light such as text on a background. I wore contacts for fifteen years and had a "perfect" prescription. Now my vision quality is worse, and it's enough to put me in a depressive state. I've felt like I have no options, but I did schedule an appointment with a cornea specialist for this Thursday, so I'm hopeful.

How long has it been since the procedure? You get improvements up to a year.

(I had it and I was generally good after 2 months with the dryness, normal side effect is more pronounced night glare. Those glare glasses help while driving at night)

It's been 9 months.

Yeah definitely worth checking out. Usually when they shape the cornea they "leave extra" so a 2nd procedure by a better firm/doctor might be able to correct the issues but you would want double checks and referrals and research before going that route.

To be honest, I'm not letting them do an enhancement. My eye doctor told me the risks are higher. With the complications I had on the first pass, I don't want the added risk. I'm hoping to get schleral contacts or something.

62 more replies

Wife decided we needed a new bed. And not just any bed - an expensive new bed with lots of built-in storage drawers.

That sounds space-efficient and all, but what it really means is that - due to the extra height created by those drawers - the top of the mattress is like three feet off the floor.

Wife is kind of short, so it's awkward for her to climb up onto a bed that high. Hence, we also had to buy the optional set of steps. (LPT: If you need to climb steps to get into bed, then your bed is too high.)

Now, I'll be lying in bed, and she'll climb up those steps and suddenly be looming over me like some huge scary nocturnal creature. 10/10 would prefer a normal bed.

P.S. No need for any of you wise guys to make jokes about getting into my wife's drawers.

We won’t joke about getting into your wife’s drawers, it’s too easy.

25 more replies

I bought a new vehicle and it has given me nothing but issues

What car?

a Hyundai Santa Fe :/

I was looking into an Elantra because it's around the same car as the Taurus that I have. I did not like the dealer promising me nothing was wrong when he had to jump it. Or when the knock started happening. Or when the airbag and check engine light came on.

On a 2017!

yikes!!! Glad you walked..

25 more replies

38 more replies

61 more replies

41 more replies

$3k in repairs and maintenance for my Ford Explorer right at the 100k mile mark in October, only to have an actuator in the vent system go kablooey on Wednesday and leave me with no heat on a 23°F morning. I had to leave it at the dealership for a couple days while they pulled the dash and fixed it. I know 23° doesn’t seem so bad to some of you, but as a South Texan exiled to the frozen Hinterlands, it was bone-achingly miserable.

I fear that all the lame mechanics’ jokes may be right, and that after 100k Miles, it becomes the Ford Exploder.

Once your explored hits the 140 mark, the mechanical issues disappeared and the FORDRUST™ takes over

Truth. At 100k my brother's explorer went to shit. At 150 all the problems stopped and it ran great until he sold it at 248,xxx.

It's a great vehicle, once you've replaced all the parts that it was built with.

4 more replies

5 more replies

60 more replies

1.5k points · 6 months ago

CT scan that revealed that there was nothing wrong despite being in severe pain. I’m thankful nothing was wrong, but I am not loving the medical bills.

Most patients who go to the ER with abdominal pain are discharged without a diagnosis

My dad went to the ER because he thought he had kidney stones. They told him it was just gas. He passed two stones the next morning.

"That'll be $450"

5 more replies

18 more replies

Health insurance?

1.3k points · 6 months ago

America

Fuck yeah

6 more replies

81 more replies

107 more replies

Yep. My doctor wrote me a prescription for an MRI but said it wasn’t 100% necessary, just diagnostic for something that’s annoying but won’t kill me.

I haven’t gotten it yet and cost is 100% the reason. Screw that noise.

114 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

I had to pay $576 $600 for a blood test that my (very good) insurance wouldn't cover. Nobody told me beforehand that insurance wouldn't pay and nobody will help me fix it.

37 more replies

11 more replies

My wife in a nut shell. Side pain presented as kidney stone. No stone. Only pain. Turns out she possibly has a genetic condition that effects the liver. Dr is only 70% sure and requests next attack we go to ER for another test. If interested I will post condition. I can not remember it right now.

4 more replies

106 more replies

Porsche 996. People don't realize it's cheaper than a Civic, so they just think you're some rich asshole in a 911. Doesn't take away from the fun of the car or make me change my mind though.

The negative impact part comes from being mislead (lied) to about the service history of the car by the Porsche dealer, which has me (1) paranoid and scared of every noise, smell, or bump I feel while driving it, and (2) possibly having to file a civil suit against the dealer.

Not the joyous driving I was hoping for.

Also maintenance. Maintenance on a high end car is not cheap and has to be done correctly.

Yeah, I was prepared for maintenance on a well kept one. It's the cost of maintaining a mystery box that is kind of a downer.

ETA: Or was this in reference to the first statement, re people's perceptions?

My father once told me, "Son, if you can't afford a new European car, you certainly can't afford a secondhand one."

39 more replies

11 more replies

11 more replies

I’d recommend upgrading the IMS bearing if you ever need to replace the rear main seal (which you eventually will if it hasn’t been done already). Cost around 1,200 when I had it done on my 2001 boxster.

7 more replies

107 more replies

A Sleep Number bed. NEVER AGAIN.

Go on woot.com. I bought a temperpedic or some other bed like that at $275 for a queen. I still have people say that it is amazingly soft and comfortable. I would definitely agree. It did take 2 weeks to ship though and came in a roll.

We got ours on Amazon for 265! Sleep Number bed is now garbage.

22 more replies

15 more replies

What's wrong with a sleep number bed?

It’s an overpriced, glorified air mattress that has multiple breakable parts. Ours didn’t even last a year.

Oh, don't forget the rigid divider between the two different number mattresses. Heaven forbid you want to roll over or cuddle.

8 more replies

I had one. It's a glorified air mattress!! Never again!!!

1 more reply

It's an air mattress that needs power at all times to stay firm.

Crazy how the commercials manage to avoid any mention of this.

3 more replies

If the electricity goes out while you are sleeping does it deflate?

Yes, immediately!

6 more replies

7 more replies

29 more replies

My car needed an engine. Found one online for 1100.00 . Gave them my debit card number. This is on Friday afternoon. That evening I look up the company online and see tons of negative reviews. Mad at myself for not doing that first I email them to cancel order. Call first thing Monday to confirm cancellation. No problem I'm told. Now almost a year later no refund. No engine. Bank says not their problem as debit cards don't have as much protection as credit. Lesson learned. Due background first. Don't use debit cards for large purchase.

My school loans...

I don’t regret going to college, I just regret the amount of money it took to finance it. I took a $30,000 loan out my second year of college because the scholarship money ran out, grants weren’t available, and I had recently lost my job due to company downsizing. I went with a private loan company so I could borrow a large sum and have it in my account as a “cushion”. I did end up finding new employment which I used to pay for day to day expenses, but then used that loan money to pay for tuition, rent and utilities. Fast forward four years later, I can’t find employment with my degree and am making barely above minimum wage, meanwhile the private loan comes knocking on my door for payments which is almost as much as my rent a month and I had accrued $10K in interest by deferring.

Looking back I would have done smaller federal loans as the repayment options are much more flexible as well as interest rates. I would have used more of my paycheck for the big expenses instead of little luxuries I used to treat myself with because working and going to college full time was hard. I would have talked to people who went to college about what they did to finance it, instead of my friends and family who have absolutely zero college experience.

Now my credit is shot due to difficulties paying the minimum every month when I first graduated and I can’t get approved for a loan for a new car or a condo/house because of the low credit score and the high debt to income ratio. It’s fabulous being in your thirties and still needing mom to co-sign your loan for your new used vehicle when the previous one was hit by a drunk driver and totaled.

12 more replies

Cumulative takeout probably.

20 more replies

297 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

A trip to saint croix August 2017. Didn't even think to look into the weather forecast. Paid $1000 for airfare, $1,000 for a motorcycle for transportation, and ferry fees. Paid $7,000 for 4 months rent (was planning on staying until christmas). Then we arrive (righr after hurricaine Harvey hit texas) and we got to stay for a whole two weeks before we realized that two huge hurricaines were headed straight for our little island. It was maria and Jose. We couldn't get our money back for rent nor could we take the motorcycle on the plane with us so we had to spend another $1,000 on airfare home. I escaped the hurricaines though, so i got that going for me.

Better off flying in and making a deal once you look around. Live and learn, unless the 8 grand is not a big deal then pre pay.

4 more replies

13 more replies

ITT: Cars

Cars, and fucking refrigerators

9 more replies

There isn’t much else a 20 something year old redditor is gong to spend more than $2K on.

Steam

14 more replies

6 more replies

Comment deleted6 months ago(115 children)

Get a great attorney.

They'll be paid from your settlement.

EDIT: You can still fight it.

112 more replies

65" 4k tv. Family is glued to it

Someone went oled

12 more replies

9 more replies

I started going to college. My anxiety has never been more prevalent

Ahhh, congrats you have joined us in our pain!

10 more replies

Heroin.

Shit just gave me depression, almost lost a job and a general fuck you outlook on almost everything in life.

Don’t try heroin, kids.

Not judging, genuinely curious....why would you try it in the first place?

9 more replies

Land Rover. Always something to be fixed or welded = money. Fix a problem? That's great. Here's two more as direct result of what you just fixed.

But it's a finisher car.

17 more replies

Paying for my then-boyfriend's private master's programme (which cost much more than 2k$). I used some of the savings that my parents put away for me, as well as the money I had saved up over 4 years. Don't talk to me about how stupid I am, I fucking know it.

He was very manipulative and I ended it 3 months into the master's programme.

8 more replies

A $100 purchase for a lift ticket turned into $6k after face planting on my snowboard last month. I cracked my orbital globe and needed to surgically install a metal plate under my eye. I also see doubled now.

20 more replies

ITT, people who don't know which symbol > is.

In this case it's greater than 2000. Because the crocodile wants to eat something bigger

crocodile is an obese fuck

9 more replies

50 more replies

🐊

7 more replies

28 more replies

Something tells me I

Spent a bit too much on my

Refrigerator

This is the best name lol

47 more replies

Maytag front loading washer and dryer.

They’re total crap.

It's not just Maytag. I have a Whirlpool that is less than 2 years old. The repair guy was in fixing it last week (figured out the problem and it works fine now) and I asked him what brand I should get if I had to replace it. He said the best brand to get is "warranty" because they are all crap. This guy was from a third party company that does all the machines in the area regardless of brand. Also, Whirlpool said they'd send someone out for $150, but since I called this company directly it was $75 and they are the reps for Whirlpool so it would have been them coming either way.

Just a FYI Whirlpool makes Maytag.

29 more replies

367 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Allowing my dad to buy me an 08 Buick lacrosse I couldn't afford to replace a 98 crown vic (bought with cash) I totalled due to winter weather. Now I'm in debt to my dad for roughly 7500 dollars which I'm sketched out about and will be paying off for years. Thankfully the car doesn't have any problems other than the driver door handle which is partly broken (the dealer promised to replace it and I thankfully have documentation of said promise). So yeah loads of added anxiety there.

Sorry to hear that. I too totaled my crown vic. I drove the Buicks and they felt so soulless and slow. But they are basically the Toyota of American engineering. They should last forever.

10 more replies

What's the negative? You wrecked your car and need a car to get around. Instead of getting a loan from a bank your father loans you the money so A) you likely don't pay interest B) if you miss a payment it won't be repossessed/ruin your credit.

17 more replies

21 more replies

Paid over 8 grand for classes out of pocket last fall at the university I tranferred to only to be suspended this semester because my overall GPA isnt up to what a 3rd year student should have. I went back and did the math and apparently there was no way mathematically that I could have avoided this regardless of my grades last semester.

Comment deleted6 months ago(7 children)

7 more replies

19 more replies

Bought a house built in the 1950s, had many inspections done before buying that all found no issues. Started some basic remodeling and uncovered tons of major issues that are costing me tens of thousands to fix. I’m never buying another house this old for sure.

27 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

The 50’s is not even that old for a house. The problem lies with the fact that your inspector(s) were probably not thorough enough in their evaluation.

Edit: bourse -> house

6 more replies

Bitcoin, it has lead to an obsessive addiction.

I made a 50% return on marijuana stocks this year (in Canada) but it got to the point where I was checking them too much and it was affecting my mood on a daily basis. Stock goes up and I'm happy, stock goes down and I'm upset. Sell the stock and it goes up I'm also upset. The toll it was taking on my life was not worth the potential upside. I reworked my portfolio so I still hold some but a much smaller amount, so I don't think about it as often. If you've made money and it's turned into an addiction then cash it out and move on with your life. Eventually you'll stop thinking about the trading and be happy with the fact that you made something.

57 more replies

saab

Another Saab story 😢

18 more replies

Not one single purchase, but I did put a lot of money on my credit card. Some of it necessary, some of it important but not essential and some of it frivolous.

I'm in a good place with it now that I'm back in work, I will have paid the entire balance off by the end of May at this rate, but for a while there I was paying a lot of my money every month towards "minimum payment" and interest.

4 more replies

College. Networth draining for so much stress.

1 more reply

I didn't buy anything over $2,000 last year. Yay broke me!

i realise i have never spend more than 2k on a single item in my life. im only 21 though.

9 more replies

313 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

NOTE TO SELF: Never buy a car or a fridge.

DISCLAIMER: This comment was purely meant for the lulz. It was in no way meant to undermine or critise anyone's decision to buy a fridge or a car or an ice-cream truck or a truck made of ice or any strange combination of the aforementioned consumer items as listed above. The author of this comment does not own either of these items at this point in time but has used both a fridge and a car and can vouch for thier usefulness in day to day life. Thank you and enjoy your day.

31 more replies

being able to purchase anything above $2000

/r/absolutelynotmeirl

1 more reply

I bought an extended warranty for $2700 on a 2010 nissan 370z with 60k miles. Fast forward 6 months later and guy pulls out in front of me, totalling the car. I'm gathering all the documents for GAP insurance I had also paid for. One of the documents required is proof of refund on th extended warranty since normally you can cancel for a prorated refund based on time left on the warranty.

I sent in the paperwork to cancel it and wait a few days to call about its status and how big of a refund I would get. Turns out the dealership never paid for the warranty. They just took my money and ran. Also the dealership went out of business so I can't just go back and demand my $2700 back. So I have a car loan and no car, making payments for next 5 months to close out the loan.

Find a lawyer who will find the dealership owner and sue him for fraud.

6 more replies

cigarettes. but thankfully ive quit about 3 months ago due to vaping (vaporesso Tarot Nano). So far I had saved roughly $1350 in that time. My last cigarette was on the 12th of October.

Edit: Added a word

56 more replies

The fucking ER.

My husband's credit card. Paid it down $4k and he put all that back on it in under 3 months. Now he wants me to use my student loan refund to pay it down again (hell, no!). It's officially his mess to clean up, now.

Gtfo. What is he spending that money on?

Hookers and blow.

EDIT: Holy shit, I'm half right.

12 more replies

He shouldn’t have a credit card.

20 more replies

College

56 more replies

892 more replies

/r/AskReddit is the place to ask and answer thought-provoking questions.

r/AskReddit Rules
Rule 1 - Questions must be clear and direct
Rule 2 - No personalized advice requests
Rule 3 - Open ended questions only
Rule 4 - No personal info
Rule 5 - No loaded questions
Rule 6 - No questions seeking professional advice
Rule 7 - No begging for goods or services
Rule 8 - No demeaning terms or personal attacks
Rule 9 - No image only replies or large ascii art
Comments in [Serious] posts must be on topic
Ideas for r/AskReddit

Do you have an idea or feedback for r/AskReddit? Submit it to: