Posted byu/[deleted]6 months ago
Archived

What concept fucks you up the most?

15.8k comments

Time

"You are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today. And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you."

I met someone I knew 10 years ago just this week.

She's married, has a kid, has another planned for next year, got a big ass house.

I'm fucking around with my studies unsure of what I want to do.

I'm fucking around with my studies unsure of what I want to do

This was me 5 years ago. Now I'm married, 2 kids, great job, and medium ass house.

22 more replies

9 more replies

"no one told you when you run. You missed the starting gun." God I love that song

5 more replies

72 more replies

Someone mentioned the concept earlier, but the thing that makes me wonder the most is HOW SMALL CAN THINGS GET.

Like we are made up of stuff, which is small stuff bunched up. That tiny stuff is made up of smaller stuff. So at what point does it not get smaller?! Atoms made up of protons and electrons. Those made up of smaller things.

So we go all the way down to strings (hypothetically, but I don't know anymore). So what makes up the strings? And what makes up the stuff that makes up the strings. And so on and so on until fuck you

4.4k points · 6 months ago

All the HIV currently infecting people on the planet today - millions of people - fits in a tea spoon.

2.6k points · 6 months ago

Wonder what it tastes like

3.3k points · 6 months ago

Careful, you'll start a teaspoon of HIV challenge.

3.4k points · 6 months agoGilded1 · edited 6 months ago

Just mix it into some sugar water to make Kool-AIDS.

Edit* Never expected my first gold to be for something like this lol. Thank you, stranger.

17 more replies

22 more replies

43 more replies

47 more replies

146 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

I really really like that scale. It really helps put things into perspective. Plancks length seems to be the bottom limit but I don't know much about it. Cool stuff though.

Edit; YouTube mobile link Thanks u/SpeakItLoud

24 more replies

201 more replies

3.9k points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

The fact that everyone has their own internal thoughts.

Edit: spelling.

oh my god sometimes on the bus I think of how there are so many brains on the bus, each with their own buzzing thoughts and images and sensations. It makes me feel incredibly claustrophobic and dizzy. It's amazing.

"Ha! there's a guy hyperventilating there"

2 more replies

7 more replies

Or do we? Maybe it's all a simulation made for you and we're just the NPCs?

You're not supposed to tell the subject about the simulation! I'm reporting this

18 more replies

57 more replies

59 more replies

If I get married and stay married, then I will someday bury my wife. If I don't, she will bury me.

The sadness of either of these things is horrible.

6.8k points · 6 months agoGilded1 · edited 6 months ago

If it make you feel better you guys might die together in a car crash or something.

Edit: Wow of all the dumbshit I say.... Anyways, thanks for the gold, soulless asshole!

I love the positive vibe here.

7 more replies

"Better"

20 more replies

66 more replies

106 more replies

When a sperm comes in contact with an egg, they somehow become a human. 2 cells just have to meet up and it becomes a specific genetic code that collects the right nutrients vitamins and minerals from the mother to build a living creature as complex as a human. And to think that each one is so different in so many ways just boggles my mind.

What's more baffling imo is the success rate. Considering how complicated we are, it's remarkable that the majority of us are constructed properly for the most part.

Most miscarriages happen without the female even knowing so it's impossible to set a a success rate.

68 more replies

40 more replies

I’ve had genetic counseling and one of the bad genes I inherited has to do with causing structural defects in the heart. My father passed on a bad combination of circulatory disorders and he died at the age of 23 from a sudden and massive clot in his heart.

The reason I am still on this earth is because the bad gene failed to express. My glitch glitched. My heart is perfectly healthy. I think a lot of people have little genetic errors here and there that never show any symptoms, never express, and they walk around totally unaware that according to code they shouldn’t have existed.

14 more replies

1.1k points · 6 months ago

That fact that another person and I accidentally created an entirely new human being just blows my mind. Like, you don't even HAVE to know what you're doing, it's not a skilled art, your body just, like, prints a little person package and off they go. How.

...your body just, like, prints a little person package and off they go

"Hey yeah, thanks for that! Seeya round."

2 more replies

36 more replies

67 more replies

You never directly see your own face.

5.3k points · 6 months ago

Well, hopefully you won't.

1.3k points · 6 months ago

nicolas cage did, and it made him crazy.

21 more replies

18 more replies

1.6k points · 6 months ago

You see your nose and eyebrows basically all the time.

I can see parts of my cheeks, too. And if I make a particularly fishy face, the top of my mouth.

4.0k points · 6 months ago

How does it feel knowing you just made hundreds of people do a fish pout?

39 more replies

10 more replies

77 more replies

85 more replies

All living beings (that we know of) are made up of non living matter.

Also. Mitochondria....seriously wtf.

10.4k points · 6 months agoGilded5 · edited 6 months ago

Ah, mitochondria.

Back in the old times, when all life was single celled... photosynthesis was invented by the cyanobacteria. This released a poisonous, toxic gas into the atmosphere that killed almost all life: oxygen.

There were few ways to survive. Most of the survivors were the cells that lived in places oxygen couldn't reach. The bottom of the ocean or other extreme environments for example. Therse were the extremophiles: the archaea, the anaerobic bacteria. Many remained there and still exist today. Not to be found on earth's oxygen rich surface.

Others though, were more clever. They survived by inventing chemical reactions that used up the oxygen. If the oxygen were used, it could not kill them, and they could continue to live on the earth's surface and away from extreme environments. These too, still remain today. Some became the modern day aerobic bacteria. Others, we now know by another name.

The third way to survive the threat of oxygen was the most ingenious... rather than invent your own chemistry to use up the oxygen... hold someone hostage who HAD found a way, and use their chemistry for your own selfish purpose. These cells engulfed some of those who had the chemistry to survive. They captured them. Made them live internally... almost as if they had become organs of their hosts. The cells who had learned to survive oxygen still continued to live though... they went generations and generations inside these host cells. The DNA of the two became intertwined and interdependent. over time.. none could live without the other. They were now one cell: the eukaryotic cell, which modern day animal cells are just one example. A cell which could survive the oxygen plague because of its internal hostages which used to be free roaming beings of their own: what we now call the mitochondria.

Mitochondria are still their own beings.

They have their own cell cycle.

They have circular DNA, like bacteria

They replicate by binary fission, like bacteria

They have their own ribosomes, which resemble bacterial riosomes much more than the ribosomes of the nucleus

They even have a two-layered membrane.... an inner membrane that was always their own... from when they were living free.. and an outer membrane which remains from when they were taken hostage; engulfed and captured by their host.

is this the only time this happened? No. Once these cells discovered that the mitochondron's chemistry for using oxygen was also harnessed as an energy source... what better plan than to take another hostage? One to make the fuel... why breathe oxygen when you could have a second hostage make it within your own cells, then pass it straight to the mitochondria?

And so a new hostage was taken: the cyanobacteria that invented phytosynthesis in the first place. The oxygen makers: what we now know as the chloroplasts. Thus, the plants came to be, and they never needed to seek out their fuel again. Their two slave beings inside of them: the mitochondria and the chloroplasts, did it for them.

EDIT:

woahhhh did this ever blow up more than I anticipated. Thanks so much everyone for the appreciation. There is something that's been coming up in the comments that is very much worth clarifying. I told this story in a very personified and anthropomorphised sense. It lends itself to the impression that the cells are somehow deciding to do this or inventing their internal chemistry with conscious effort. This is NOT the case. No cell chose to trigger endosymbiosis. It just so happened that cells for which this event had occurred happened to reproduce successfully enough to form a substantial portion of the living cells on the earth. I noted in the post above that surviving the threat of oxygen was a reason for this. I described it as a motivating factor for the sake of the story, but it is more accurately a selective pressure. The ones who didn't have that chance adaptation died out. Moreover the adaptation likely occurred due to some chance mutation event which altered the digestive capabilities of the host cell or something. It's worth noting these events have actually been observed in modern day, it just so happens to be a really really useful event when you're trying to survive an onslaught of toxic gas.

Evolution does not operate because organisms made conscious choices to do something (well.. except maybe memetic selection). It operates because chance mutations changed a cell's internal chemistry etc in a way that happened to be useful. Happening to have a reaction that used up oxygen in a constructive way was helpful. Happening not to destroy the cell you just engulfed happened to be helpful. These things were capitalised upon even further in subsequent mutation and selection events. Hopefully in the story above you can see why the cells for which these chance events happened would begin to flourish.

I should also point out, the reasons I cited for these events are somewhat of an evolutionary "just-so" story. There are rationales to suggest WHY these changes would lead to selective sweeps, but there is always room to revise these proposals based on evidence and the timelines of events. At least a couple of users in the comments have pointed out in the replies that there is evidence that some of the reasons for these events could well be different to what I describe. See this comment for example. I recommend reading deeper into these suggestions - one of the bets things about knowing a good story is delving deeper into the lore, and finding out it isn't all quite so simple.

This story is my favourite one in all of science. I always wished it was in the history of the world video.

Because this was so popular, I've created a new sub for this type of thing: /r/storiesofscience. I added a little bit more to this story too in the first post: more about what geologists know as "the great oxygenation event" that changed the world forever.

If anyone finds or writes anything similar to this, please post!!

EDIT 2:

I made a further comment on the fact that this post absolutely does trade accuracy for entertainment value here. This post may well be something I told to a class, but it would never be the ONLY thing I told to that class. It's easy to generate misconceptions by telling easy to grasp stories that have comforting inaccuracies. This story has those, because it is a reddit post. For a real understanding of the topic I would recommend researching more about the actual mechanisms by which evolution occurs, and recalling that evolutionary adaptations result from chance mutation events, genetic drift, natural selection and so on, none of which occur through conscious intent of individual organisms.

I have no idea what you do for a living, but you should write short stories in this style to teach science concepts to broad audiences.

Yes! I'd totally buy children books like this! My 10 and 12 year olds would like them too. Please write books... Pretty please...

3 more replies

I second that, I find it incredibly hard to understand some scientific studies that I come across, but that text was surprisingly easy to follow. Really enjoyed reading that.

22 more replies

19 more replies

Did you write this?

5 more replies

289 more replies

The powerhouse of the cell.

71 more replies

81 more replies

19.0k points · 6 months ago

The idea that blind people don’t just see black, they see nothing.

4.7k points · 6 months ago

I've had migraines where i lost vision in one eye and it literally is just nothing, like your peripherals moved into your viewable vision field but there's also nothing there. I've also hit my head so hard that my eyes went wack and i had these lines of blindness in a cracked egg like fashion across the whole field, similar to the movement of the photoshop selection tool (the dashes moving along) it was crazy. Obviously not the same as total blindness but still scary

My friend recently lost most of his sight in his left eye and he was trying to explain to us about the nothingness. I couldn't get my head around until I remembered an experiment in school about blind spots. You cover one eye and look at a piece of paper with a mark on it. Then move the paper around until the mark is gone. It was wasn't blurred out or anything; it just disappeared.

1.4k points · 6 months ago

My MIL fell and lost sight in one fourth quadrant in her right eye but instead of seeing black in that area, her brain fills it out so it seems like she didn't lose sight in that area at all. I think that's even scarier to think you are seeing something though it's not really there.

Kind of like the blind spot everyone has, which is also filled in by our brains, except instead of being a blind spot it's an entire blind quadrant. Wtf

Blind spots are weird. We're great at unconsciously ignoring them, because there's usually enough data from the other eye to explain what's there, and even when there's not it doesn't matter - apart from every now and then when it does, or when we deliberately go looking for it.

1 more reply

21 more replies

31 more replies

23 more replies

91 more replies

I heard something recently and a blind person was asked to explain what it was like and he said it was like a sighted person trying to see with their elbow.

Wow that actually makes me understand it better, as weird as that is

28 more replies

20 more replies

283 more replies

How many people there are in the World. I know there’s 7.6 billion but I just cannot seem to comprehend the scale of that number.

Similarly, I cannot comprehend how rich billionaires are. If I’m a millionaire (which is hard to achieve in its own right), I still only have 0.001 of what a billionaire would have. Boggles my mind.

This comparison let me understand wealth.

I don't know what it's like to earn, a billion every year, but I do know what it's like to earn £20'000 a year.

That's 50'000 times less.

Assuming their money is worth 50'000 less than mine, we can do some simple division.

Want to fly first class New York to London? Cost £10'000, that's the same as £0.20 to me. For £0.20 I'd do it each weekend!

Want a new £100'000 Tesla? At £2.00 equivalent I'll take 3...

New mansion in the country for £20 million? £400 equivalent. I've spent that on nights away.

My god... and here I am debating on whether I can afford to go out tonight for a friend's birthday. £50 would be my absolute limit tonight.

25 more replies

52 more replies

6.3k points · 6 months ago

The crazier part is since the black market is so vast that some economists believe that there could be trillionaires out there they just don't exist in the legal worlds economics.

I could well believe this. The wealth demonstrated by some of the Saudis and oil barons in the middle east is immense.

8 more replies

291 more replies

293 more replies

9.2k points · 6 months ago

Theory of relativity and that time can slow depending on speed and gravity is wild

3.0k points · 6 months ago

My favortie fact about relativity is that GPS satellites, which are based on timing, have take into account both special relativity (due to their speed) and general relativity (due to distance from Earth's gravity well). If they didn't, their accuracy would drift by 10 km per day!

Details: http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Unit5/gps.html

Is that because of gravity or speed?

87 more replies

45 more replies

235 more replies

2.3k points · 6 months ago

That we developed this incredibly complex system that is society. We act like society is all there is but ultimately even if I fuck it up it’s just make believe thing that we all agreed to take part in.

We talked about this in my philosophy class the other day when we were talking about vegetarianism or something and someone said that we no longer need to eat meat to actually sustain ourselves in a healthy way, which is said pretty regularly but it's really baffling. Humanity could essentially remove itself from the food chain. We've progressed so far as a predator that we no longer need to be predators. We've managed to circumvent the natural order essentially by outsmarting it.

102 more replies

I never agreed to shit. This has been forced upon me.

Yeah, it sucks ass. But if you stop playing the mods get mad and ban you for a while, sometimes a permaban, depending on what part you stopped playing at.

13 more replies

39 more replies

25 more replies

13.4k points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

52!, fifty-two factorial: the fact that no matter how many times you and a billion of your friends shuffle a deck of playing cards, you'll probably never shuffle it into an order that any deck has already been in. There are significantly more combinations permutations for the order of cards in a deck of 52 than the total number of seconds that the universe has existed.

Fucked. Up.

Edit: Allow Michael to take you on a stroll through this one. 52! starts at 14:04.

Yes, you can choose to deliberately put a deck into an order it's been in before. Don't be that guy. We're randomly shuffling here.

492 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

what really fucked me up is 52! is more than there are atoms on earth.
I read it online, my husband spent the next 10-15 minutes explaining that it is in fact possible, and true.
Thinking of it again re-blows my mind

9 more replies

This is a great one. Can't wrap my mind around it.

56 more replies

259 more replies

7.1k points · 6 months ago

The microscopic world scares the shit out of me. A lot of people seemed perturbed by what's outside our universe. I'm more freaked out by the idea that there are unobservable microuniverses operating on unknown physical principles stuck under my fingernails that get destroyed every time I wash my hands.

3.4k points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

I'm a student in microbiology. You know what scares me the most about that? Gut bacteria. You have more bacteria in your gut than human cells in your body (but human cells are 1000 times as large). These bacteria can produce hormones that run up to your brain; bacteria can control your feelings. Billions of mindless bacteria control your food yearnings.

Other than that, the microscopic world is incredibly interesting. The more you learn about it, the more interesting it gets.

Edit: wow, this comment gained a lot of attention. Thanks for all your positivity. It brightens my day. I'll try to answer as many of you as possible.

That’s why i do a daily stomach cleanse by drinking half a cup of Bleach. No bacteria will tell me how to live my life!

Huh. Sounds like a sane and good idea! BRB.

15 more replies

78 more replies

Check out infections madness by Harriet Washington if you haven't. It touches on how many mental illnesses may be caused by external factors like parasites and changes in gut bacteria.

16 more replies

150 more replies

1.8k points · 6 months ago

Now I'm gonna have a moral crisis everything I wash my hands. Thanks.

you don't have to lie here and pretend you wash your hands

8 more replies

11 more replies

78 more replies

4.6k points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

That color is something that's generated inside our brains, and is not an innate property of any object. Sure, objects have a property that make them absorb / reflect light in a certain way, but the redness of red or the yellowness of yellow is created inside our heads.

Also the thought that my yellow may not be your yellow

Hummingbirds and insects see colors that are there, but we can't see.

56 more replies

88 more replies

114 more replies

That atoms are 99.9..% empty space. makes no sense.

The way to think of it is, though they aren't very dense (not much mass in the volume), they have fields that encompass the entire structure. So the mass of atoms aren't engaging directly but with forces that define their volume. Mostly empty by mass, but entirely filled by forces.

Their shields are up.

18 more replies

16 more replies

136 more replies

24.3k points · 6 months ago

My grandpa started a family tree in the 70's. It contains hundreds of people, all relatives of mine. This summer, he gave it to me to be its keeper. After my uncle died this fall, I had to fill in his date of death. I realized that I will have to fill in dates of death for my family, and that some day, someone will fill in mine.

But on the positive side, adding dates of birth for new family members as your close family and extended family grow is exciting! There’s 100’s there now, soon there will be more and it will never stop.

I’m a huge genealogy nerd and your comment couldn’t be more true. No one in my family was particularly interested, but I wanted to learn where we hail from.

Thanks to Ancestry, FamilySearch, DNA and genealogy analysis, and hours upon hours of googling and emailing people, I’ve tracked down extended cousins whose nearest branch point was in my great-great-grandfather’s generation. And fortunately, many of those cousins are genealogy nerds, too.

I’ve obtained photos, articles, stories, legal documents, and more for my ancestors. It helps make them much more human than a death certificate or even obituary does.

/u/jomrib, try to put your family tree online so others can see it. You probably have a few cousins who are stuck on your family or ancestors, and that would be a huge help to them. You might even kick off a great relationship!

98 more replies

15 more replies

You are the Keeper of Memories. ☺

3.4k points · 6 months ago

Does that make his grandpa The Giver ?

1.6k points · 6 months ago

This is the first time I've ever understood a reference from a book.

so it goes

21 more replies

22 more replies

27 more replies

19 more replies

156 more replies

14.5k points · 6 months ago

You only clean things by getting other things dirty.

2.8k points · 6 months ago

This is The Cat in the Hat Comes Back all over again.

It always got me when the ring in the tub stayed... I was always like, "damn, well, if the tub didn't work, you're fucked, cat." Except with less fuck words because I was 7.

1 more reply

17 more replies

1.1k points · 6 months ago

My brain twitched reading this

8 more replies

Entropy.

Goddamnit, I went on Reddit to try and forget that I completely bombed my Thermo midterm today. I can't believe you've done this.

8 more replies

60 more replies

156 more replies

The idea of being tortured. Not having any way of stopping it even though your brain probably holds on to some hope of an end. Does your brain try to protect you? Are there diminishing returns on the pain? How many people have been tortured and how many may be in the middle of torture at this moment? Fuck humans.

The worst part is that there are so many methods of torture and that people are messed up enough to come up with them.

3.3k points · 6 months ago

Worse: it's someone's job.

2.2k points · 6 months ago

And since it's someone's job, there's probably some workaholic who likes it.

Comment deleted6 months ago(63 children)

I love coming across LOST references.

Here's one for you.

What's Desmond's favorite type of pasta?

Is it Penne?

7 more replies

3 more replies

39 more replies

11 more replies

25 more replies

Worse: it's someone's hobby.

13 more replies

32 more replies

17 more replies

2.0k points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Your brain does indeed attempt to protect you. It'll give you some feel good chemicals to reduce the amount of pain you feel for a while though that'll wear off. You'll mentally retreat into yourself, sort of like dreaming. Other tactics like fainting or passing out preventing you from directly experiencing the pain though you can be woken up with medications.

Edit: humans have had a long time to learn torture methods. Many can cause extreme pain but not cause enough physical damage to cause the victim to pass out or lose coherence. Like in that show Lost when that guy gets bamboo splints shoved under his fingernails. The nail beds and fingers in general have a lot of nerves causing a lot of pain but won't cause enough bleeding to be a problem.

1.1k points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Many also emotionally and psychologically fuck you up these days. For example, water boarding. There was a video of a radio dj that said "how bad can it really be", so he volunteered to be water boarded. One jug of water and he was done and said it was the worst experience of life.

I've heard of another kind where they have you strapped to a board again with your head strapped in place as well, and they just slowly drip water on your forehead, drop by drop, for hours on end. I dunno about you, but that would drive me fucking bonkers.

Edit: Mancow was the radio dj I was thinking of that tried water boarding. And that guy bails QUICK

634 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

That's Chinese water torture right? Sounds awful.

Kari did that on mythbusters years ago and was absolutely traumatised it looks horrendous

7 more replies

30 more replies

76 more replies

37 more replies

I've actually been tortured so I can give some insight on this one. Your brain does try to protect you. It's common, and it happened with me in spades, to experience something called dissociation. It's like an intense disconnection of your conscious mind from what's happening. You feel like you're not real, your body isn't real, the situation isn't real. Like you aren't in your body and you're sort of floating and nothing is happening and you don't feel any emotions or have any coherent thoughts or really much of anything at all. You still feel the pain, you're still aware of it on some level, but it's like your conscious mind just isn't there to process it. It's a very weird feeling and hard to describe.

You can even experience something called dissociative amnesia, where you dissociate so severely that you can't remember what happened, at least not consciously. Your subconscious remembers, the memories are still there (my trauma therapist described how they're stored differently in the brain). Like, for example, if the torturer used a specific knife you'll react instinctively with absolute mortal dread when you see it again, even if you can't remember why. But your regular mind can't remember what happened normally. It'll filter back in bits and pieces and, in my case, via PTSD flashbacks.

Aside from that there isn't really diminishing returns on pain. Not having any way of stopping it is the worst part imo. Even now if I experience pain I'm just fine as long as there's something I can do about it. I broke my ankle a while back and I was downright cheery because there was a thing to do and it was to go to the hospital and I was doing that and everything was going to be just fine. It's only pain, after all. But if I'm hurt and there's nothing I can do about it or I feel powerless I start completely freaking out and then the pain is completely unbearable.

Oh man, that’s heavy stuff. I’m glad you came out on the other side; you seem to be doing well. I hope you get joy and love back in spades to make up for all you went through.

25 more replies

I was kidnapped once for a week and spent a lot of time thinking about the torture that might occur if we all reached our intended destination together. Kind of a long story, but it’s impossible to convey to people who have never lost their freedom what the whole thing does to your brain. Number one rule of self defense, folks: NEVER get to Location B.

8 more replies

223 more replies

How big the universe might be.

heres a weirder concept. Every unit of measurement we have is totally arbitrary. You and I may be huge, like super huge, it all depends what you compare it to.

Or we may be incredibly small.

Comment deleted6 months ago(77 children)
1.4k points · 6 months ago

Less interesting piece of information: linearly, approximately half the size of the universe is the halfway point between the Planck length and the entire universe

26 more replies

50 more replies

52 more replies

67 more replies

11.1k points · 6 months agoGilded1

Existence. What the fuck is even going on? How the fuck did we get here. Why are there even things? What in tarnation is going to happen after we're dead?

Sweet ride though.

4.8k points · 6 months agoGilded1

A better question besides "what happens after we're dead" is "why did we ever wake up?"

We're all made up of dead stuff. Why did it wake up?

Not sure why, your comment reminded me of something I once read: "computers are rocks that we tricked into thinking."

because humans are just squishy bags of meat that chemicals tricked into thinking

19 more replies

108 more replies

109 more replies

416 more replies

13.1k points · 6 months ago

Clapping. At what point was a human so excited by something that they repeatedly slapped their own hands together in approval of something? Did we watch seals do it first and copy them? People are weird.

I gave a lecture to a scientific group in Germany once and at the end they all pounded their fists on the table like they were knocking on a door. I was really surprised but I guess it just meant the same as clapping.

3.3k points · 6 months ago

In German universities it's supposed to be more formal to do that instead of clapping, which you do at a show for example. I didn't know other countries don't do that.

My philosophy professor (at a US university) would have us do this at every lecture that referenced a German philosopher, just for style.

Comment deleted6 months ago(8 children)

8 more replies

3 more replies

Comment deleted6 months ago(51 children)

Knuckles. Really took me by surprise when I first came here. But I also find it a bit weird that in England we don't agknowledge the lecturer at all after the lecture. We just walk out

At my university we'd clap the lecturer at the end of the last lecture of the series as a mark of high esteem and gratitude, if the lectures were especially brilliant. Not all lecturers got that.

5 more replies

34 more replies

10 more replies

54 more replies

lol my first class at a german university that one took me back. Like what the fuck are you all doing....And it's at the end of everything. When any class ends we all give a few knocks on the table before we leave. It's weird but I like it. It's more efficient and less obnoxious than clapping.

It's more efficient and less obnoxious

And this is why I love the Germans

5 more replies

18 more replies

69 more replies

Dancing fucks with me. Hey, this collection of sounds is pleasing to me and I'm going to express that by jerking my body around.

It’s instinct for some reason. In old African languages music and dancing didnt have separate terms but were considered the same thing

Really? That's intriguing.

I took a music history class freshman year. Super cool to learn about how all the ideas of modern music came from so many different corners of the world and how it all meshed together. African history is easily the best to read up on because they were the first to really utilize percussion, beats, and call and response styles

16 more replies

28 more replies

73 more replies

228 more replies

What is reality?
Everything we perceive is just the brain processing different inputs, and telling us what is currently going on. We already know of a lot of "tricks" the brain plays on us visually (optical illusions, implanted memories which are as or more vivid than real ones, etc). Whose to say that my whole world is actually real? What if everything I think I see is actually a trick of my brain? Maybe I am, in objective reality, going through some terribly traumatic event, and my brain made up this happy home with my husband and 2 kids to protect itself.
Think about dreams. Your brain can literally alter time (or your perception of it at least). I've had dreams that spanned months, but woke up and only 30 minutes had passed.
So yeah, the brain/what is real is my answer.

I recently played a game called Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, which is about a woman who has psychosis and schizophrenia. One of the most impacting lines for me was:

Maybe that's why people fear seeing the world through her eyes. Because if you believe Senua's reality is twisted, you must also accept yours might be too.

20 more replies

130 more replies

17.9k points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

There are anywhere from 100-400 billion stars in the Milky Way, with a potential 100 billion planets.

And the Milky Way is by no means a large galaxy, there are untold billions of "super-galaxies."

It boggles the mind how big space in, and how many heavenly bodies are in it.

Edit: Yay, my top comment is no longer a Shakira song lyric I commented while drunk.

3.1k points · 6 months ago

Size of the known universe.

It gets to the Milky Way about 2/3 in.

310 more replies

20.1k points · 6 months agoGilded1

Yet still not a single body as heavenly as yours ♥️

Now kiss.

And then...

Disappointment.

Aw

9 more replies

14 more replies

11 more replies

13 more replies

50 more replies

Ah space.. It's so much easier to not think about it, just considering the magnitude of all those galaxies compared to ourselves spirals me into thoughts of existential crisis

44 more replies

The absolute size of space is insane!

Some perspective just using our little solar system.

The moons diameter is smaller than the width of Australia.

The surface area of Pluto is smaller than the surface area of Africa. Africa nearly has twice the surface area in comparison.

The volume of Jupiter means you could fit all other planets, including Pluto, into it and still have some space.

At the Moon’s furthest distance from the Earth, its apogee, you can fit all the planets (this time not including Pluto) side by side between the Earth and the Moon. This includes Jupiter, which could fit 1300 Earths within it.

The we go to the Sun, which could fit about 1.3 million Earths inside it.

If you cloned Earth and put it side by side continually until it reached the Sun you’d need about 11,760 Earth’s to reach the Sun (at its average distance).

Then you look at one of the largest stars found, UY Scuti, which is bigger than VY Canis Major even, and its diameter is estimated to be 1700 times larger than our Sun’s and its volume about 21 billion times larger.

If the Earth was an 8 inch (20.3 cm) ball, our Sun would be about 73 feet (22.25 m) in diameter. UY Scuti would be 125,000 feet (38 km) in diameter. Felix Baumgartner, who jumped from the outermost limit of Earth’s atmosphere for Red Bull (if you haven’t seen it, check it out, it’s rad), well he jumped around that distance in real life.

And that’s just the stuff we’ve been able to see! Space is crazy!

52 more replies

292 more replies

9.8k points · 6 months ago

That the phone in your hand. The computer or tablet you're using. Is nothing more than a bunch of electricity running through copper and silicates turning into ones and zeroes gives us all of this.

The internet, rocket boosters that land themselves, and everything else that electronics do for us.

8.0k points · 6 months ago

Processors are just the result of humans tricking rocks into doing math.

We also put lightning in them.

That's an important step I feel.

1.6k points · 6 months ago

This statement makes me feel better about being an IT wizard

It makes me feel like this is actually just magic. There's no way you could tell a person 1,000 years ago that it's not magic.

I'm in my last semester for EE, and I'm still not completely convinced it isn't just magic.

"It's an illusion michael"

4 more replies

Professional EE here, it's fucking magic

7 more replies

34 more replies

28 more replies

8 more replies

23 more replies

39 more replies

I’m currently in undergrad for electrical engineering. My first digital logic class, we built a crappy cpu from logic gates. Another class taught how transistors work. About halfway through the semester there was a definite ‘holy shit, that’s how this freakin stuff works’ moment.

I loved it

I took one hardware class and it was the coolest thing in the world when everything clicked. high/low voltage->binary->ascii->reddit

37 more replies

36 more replies

140 more replies

There are no exact measurements. We might think of something as being six feet long, or fifteen inches tall, but if you zoom in it'll always be a few hundredths or thousandths off. No matter how exact you get, keep zooming in and you'll find more errors, like being one billionth off. Nothing can ever be infinitely precise. Any given line has an infinite amount of points. This bothers me a lot.

Tautaology might be helpful. My index finger is one fgejoiwnfgewijkobnew-metre in length. How long is that? It's the length of my index finger.

21 more replies

23 more replies

Have you ever watched the show on the ID channel Disappeared? I always get stuck in a loop about how insane it is that you can leave your house one day for work, as you do every day, but at some point you could ‘disappear’ and just never be seen or heard from again.

In an instant everything can change. For you, for your family and friends.

25 more replies

3.0k points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

When I graduate I will be constantly working in the same jobs for years at a time. For the last 15 years, every 3-4 months or so I have had a completely new routine, and I don't want to give that up.
Edit: I plan on moving around within the company, but 4 years would still be a long time in one position.

Graduated May 2017 and this has been on my mind nonstop since then. I'm a computer engineer so I do move onto new projects every few months, but it isn't the same. Everything feels unnaturally cyclical until I retire and that's kinda depressing :/ Already thinking of my next job move in order to have some sort of break in the cycle.

Don't worry, I graduated 10 years ago and I'm on my 6th job because things get boring. I'm making way more now than if I had just stuck at the first place. Quickest way to increase your salary is to get a new job, plus it keeps you on your toes.

9 more replies

15 more replies

87 more replies

The double slit experiment... Particles behave differently when they are being observed, it's so wild, I wonder what else it affects

The part most people don't get is what physicists mean by "observer". An observer is just any particle that interacts with another particle. It doesn't mean humans, or animals, or things that can see. An electron is an observer. So all quantum mechanics says is that matter behaves differently when it's interacting with other matter than when it's by itself.

50 more replies

80 more replies

That every object in the universe exerts a force on me.

My pancreas attracts every other  Pancreas in the universe  With a force proportional  To the product of their masses  And inversely proportional  To the distance between them

4 more replies

9 more replies

The universe goes on forever but is also expanding. If it is already never ending in every direction then how can in expand more...

A Brief History of Time gives a plausible (but no less mind-bending) possibility, by asking you to imagine a balloon with dots on it. As the balloon inflates, each dot gets farther away from all its neighbors, but the center of expansion is nowhere on the balloon’s surface. Furthermore, an ant on the surface walking in a straight line would just walk around and around forever, seemingly infinitely.

It hurts my head, and now I’m worried we have ants :(

43 more replies

37 more replies

If I ask myself everyday, “Will today be the day I die?”, one day the answer will be yes.

4 more replies

2.7k points · 6 months ago

Death.It terrifies me.I want to do great things but at the end it will go away it makes me kinda sad

Guy I worked with died today, maybe 33-36 years old. Always had a smile on his face every morning, cool guy to bullshit with, talk to. It can happen to anyone at any time.

Yea recently one of my old classmates died and it humbles you.No one is special

Comment deleted6 months ago(23 children)

23 more replies

15 more replies

24 more replies

Me too, I spiral into an endless sense of doom whenever I think of it :-(

Same, and it’s always when I’m trying to fall asleep. Yay

23 more replies

47 more replies

304 more replies

21.5k points · 6 months ago

That during metamorphosis a caterpillar loses all physical shape. Like inside the cocoon is just a bunch a mush. No one has ever really figured out what goes on while they are in there because if you open the cocoon it completely stops the process, kills the caterpillar, and doesn't provide you with any information other than the cocoon is full of mush. The weirdest part is that they've done studies, and though the mush contains no neurological remnants or brain, the butterfly retains memories from when it was a caterpillar. What the actual fuck?

It’s not all mush. They have identified bundles of neurons that stay intact

1 more reply

141 more replies

Scientist: What do you remember?

Butterfly: Everything.

The butterfly swims through the air and it remembers. Everything is stored, dating back to the very beginning.

29 more replies

Scientist: What do you remember?

Butterfly: I've seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion...

I've seen the rise of nations now long forgotten

8 more replies

10 more replies

37 more replies

Someone here on the reddit posted a cocoon where the caterpillar had used a window as part of it. So you could see right into it without disturbing. Alas, I did not keep a link to the post to see if there was ever an update.

6 more replies

1 more reply

817 more replies

I had a co-worker try to fuck my brain with the idea that if our lives flash before our eyes before we die then how do we know if we're living our lives or re-experiencing it in those last moments.

I responded with the idea of our lives flashing before our eyes inside the first flash. So we could be several layers deep in flashbacks and not know it. (Which I had read on Reddit just a few days before).... He needed to sit down.

19 more replies

Galileo’s Paradox:

“some numbers are squares, while others are not; therefore, all the numbers, including both squares and non-squares, must be more numerous than just the squares. And yet, for every square there is exactly one positive number that is its square root, and for every number there is exactly one square; hence, there cannot be more of one than of the other.”

30 more replies

11.8k points · 6 months agoGilded1

The idea of "sonder".

Everyone out there is living a life as rich, as vivid, and as real as your own. They are extras in your movie, you are an extra in theirs.

Everyone has a story. Just because you walk past them in the street once and never see them again, doesn't mean that they don't exist and aren't living their own life somewhere, having their own experiences, seeing things with their own eyes.

I think about this most when I fly. Looking down at all the thousands of houses. Thousands of cars. All with people. And all of them have full lives and thoughts of their own. And that’s just at this moment in time that has stretched on for thousands of years.

Comment deleted6 months ago(23 children)

23 more replies

45 more replies

I love it, I was never that great at being social until I started actively doing this. It's like yeah, I've got this cool and awesome tapestry of life that I can look up and down but so does that guy over there and that girl over there and even that dog, so to speak. I get absolutely lost in it at times.

16 more replies

The idea of "sonder".

The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows is quite possibly the coolest thing I've ever found.

29 more replies

i love this and i’m glad i’m not the only one who thinks about it. like we are all tiny, infinite universes passing each other by.

i never knew there was a word for it.

42 more replies

200 more replies

The concept of forever. The fact that there is no start nor end of the universe just leaves me dumbfounded, I try to rationalize it but just can’t.

78 more replies

If the Big Bang theory is correct, what was there before the Big Bang? It seems impossible that nothing existed, but it seems impossible that something did exist before then as well.

Also the universe is just so massive, I wonder if there’s some highly advanced civilization out there that can do stuff far beyond our wildest dreams. There has to be at least one other planet with intelligent life in the universe. And if we look at how long it has taken humans to get where we are today, there may be civilizations that appeared a few million, or even billion, years before us. Imagine what kind of technology they might have! Will we ever meet aliens like that? What kind of impact would it have on us? I wish I could live long enough to find out.

11 more replies

1.8k points · 6 months ago

The thought of nothingness after death

Comment deleted6 months ago(20 children)

The first time I read this quote, it was written:

Why should I fear death? If I am, then death is not. If death is, then I am not. Why should I fear that which can only exist when I do not?

Guess it’s all in how you translate it haha

14 more replies

5 more replies

217 more replies

9.1k points · 6 months agoGilded2

Spending hours and hours every day every week every month every year at a job I hate and that isn't related to my degree, doing almost nothing because I can efficiently perform my job in 20 hours a week, and doing this for decades until I die as a majority of my generation has no chance at a normal retirement or home ownership. And if I convey this concern to anyone else I'm immediately labeled as lazy and viewed poorly by any employer, as everyone has agreed to pretend this shit is normal.

1.2k points · 6 months ago

This was my favorite comment in this thread by far.

23 more replies

413 more replies

I am trapped in my mind until I die

79 more replies

That video which shows the scale of our solar system to known stars in the universe

13 more replies

That when you smell fart, you actually make contact with particles, which were inside someone's ass.

I love how this is in here with all the "magnitude of the universe" type of stuff.

15 more replies

The sheer amount of living things that are no longer living for little to no reason

12 more replies

872 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

determinants and eigenvalues of 3x3 and up matrices

EDIT: everyone check out 3blue1brown on Youtube

i found that eigenvalues made more sense abstracted somewhat. i remember taking intro linear algebra and just going 'nope'

Once you learn how matrices represent linear transformations, all of linear algebra makes so much more sense. At least it did for me.

21 more replies

1 more reply

93 more replies

1.0k points · 6 months ago

The eventual heat death of the universe

There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer.

19 more replies

46 more replies

When someone dies and gets buried, over time their remains will decompose to the point where there is nothing left and they will just not exist.

A person, erased from existence

81 more replies

4,478 more replies

/r/AskReddit is the place to ask and answer thought-provoking questions.

r/AskReddit Rules
Rule 1 - Questions must be clear and direct
Rule 2 - No personalized advice requests
Rule 3 - Open ended questions only
Rule 4 - No personal info
Rule 5 - No loaded questions
Rule 6 - No questions seeking professional advice
Rule 7 - No begging for goods or services
Rule 8 - No demeaning terms or personal attacks
Rule 9 - No image only replies or large ascii art
Comments in [Serious] posts must be on topic