People who have been in the audience of a live tv show, how was it?

Went to The Price Is Right with my dad. It was a long day, we showed up early in the morning and waited in line for awhile, then left for breakfast, came back at 9am to wait in line again until noon. We each took our green screen photo with the wheel, had our 10 second interview with producers to be potential players and got to wait some more. We got to know the other people in line-a mixed and interesting crowd. Finally they start hyping you up, talking about prizes, playing music, dancing as they seat everyone in the studio. Very exciting. My dad got chosen and I lost my shit. I had never had an adrenaline rush before-only had pinpoint vision, no periphery vision, was jumping uncontrollably, screaming, my face and fingers were tingling, I swear I felt electrocuted. A natural high of excitement. He won at bidder’s row, played Plinko, won over $10 grand, it was such a fun day.

I also went to Price is Right. It's a really long day. It's hot in there, and everything is smaller than you probably think it is. It was really loud. I wouldn't go again.

Did a Price is Right taping back in the early 2000s when Bob Barker was still there. I LOVED it! I agree it was a long day, it was hot, and the seating area is smaller than a movie theater, but I would totally go again. It was exciting hoping to get called up, and cheering on the people you were just in line with. Plus, in between commercial breaks, Bob would converse with the audience and he was basically just a dirty old man. Afterwards we wandered Hollywood Blvd, which of course was a shithole, but I'll never forget that day.

I wish I'd seen Bob. I saw Drew Carey. He told a weird story about how he'd spent the last week driving to Montana and back all alone. It made him seem really strange.

I saw Drew as well, and he came off as pretty normal and entertaining. My overall experience was that the filming itself was fun, and worth doing once, but I wouldn’t stand in line for 6 hours to do it again.

I didn't have that much fun but I agree, everyone should at least be able to say they did it.

Drew has always seemed a little off to me. I like his shows, and him, enough, but there's something about him

10 more replies

I did the Price is Right in 2006. Except I didn't get to the studio early enough. (Even though I left my hotel before 5 a.m.) It was a double-taping day so when I didn't make it into the first screening, I was told to stick around, because I might get into the second one. Eight hours of dreary walks around the farmers market and sleeping in my car later, I missed getting into the second screening by 7 people.

So, "not fun" is my answer to the question.

1 more reply

That sounds fun! I once had a Navy instructor who had taken a class of @ 10 students to The Price is Right as a graduation present or something. My instructor won his way on to the stage and he ultimately ended up taping the episode he was on (and showed it to my class). They were all in their white uniforms and he won an exercise bike to get on the stage. I forget what the prize was that he won after that, but he won the big wheel thing, and then went on to the showcase showdown and won that. IIRC, he won a series of prizes like a dinette set, and a trip to somewhere in Asia. That was very surreal, seeing my instructor on television.

2 more replies

Comment deleted6 months ago(27 children)

You don't realize how much they mute the audience on the tv until you go to a live show haha

Is it extremely loud in there?

Yes! Loud when the fans are into it. I went to wrestle mania 18 in Toronto. Hogan vs the rock was nuts. Everyone in unison changing"Rocky sucks" and "Hogan.. Hogan". Booing when the rock punched and cheering when Hogan did. It was awesome! Hhh vs Jericho was mostly moaning when hhh won and boring.

I was just watching that match last night on youtube.

The energy level was insane. I honestly think that was the best match I've ever watched. Probably the last real match Hogan had.

1 more reply

Now I’m just imagining a crowd of people watching a wrestling match and you can hear the individual punches hitting the person so every couple of seconds is a SLAP - SLAPSLAP- SLAP

1 more reply

Comment deleted6 months ago(0 children)

1 more reply

I've been to some live non-televised WWE shows (as well as a WCW taping of Saturday Night way back when) and it's definitely a different feeling. A lot of fun if the crowd is loud. They interact with the fans more at the non-televised shows.

House shows are way more fun. The matches are usually longer, instead of being planned around commercials, and they interact with the crowd a lot more.

Oh please! Live wwe events are the best thing ever. You obviously weren't drinking enough, and not singing along with the wrestlers intros.

I went to a show a few years ago and it was hilarious and fun. I totally agree about the lack of commentary though. Roman reigns came out and it was awkward waiting for him to descend through the crowd as people clapped and cheered for too long.

Not having to listen to Michael Cole muat have been good though.

VINTAGE

DA BIG DAWG

IT'S BOSS TIME!

Doubbbbble U Dooooobbbbblllleeee U Network

drives me fucking nuts the way he says it

2 more replies

I still love the live shows. I want to go to a house show but have not had the opportunity. The first time I went a few years ago when I was in high school (Edge got me back into wrestling since I watched as a kid then stopped then started again). The lack of commentary bothered me the first time then after I just enjoyed crowd reactions and cheered for who I liked... I also had signs.. I want them to come to Houston again since I missed the most recent time they were here

I've been to one WCW TV taping (Early 90's), 4 PPV's, and 3 Raws. Usually I am too far away to be anything but a dot on the screen except for Summerslam 2014. Behind the announcer's table there is a row of celebrities and I am in the row behind them. The only reason I am sitting there is because the usher pointed me to the wrong seat. Nobody asked me to leave to I stayed there for the full show.

I was at a Monday Night Raw a decade ago in Oklahoma City where the pyro caused a blackout in the arena. No music, no titan-tron, no more pyro, no mics. That was weird watching a wrestling match with a little spotlight on the ring.

I love live WWE events! My wrestling friend group and I go out and drink and it’s so fun.

3 more replies

Went to a Dr. Phil taping wit my girlfriend and my two best friends. Showed up late to the first session of the day and they wouldn't let us inside since they already started. So we went to brunch and had bottomless mimosas until the second taping a few hours later. After getting good and tipsy they promptly sat us in the second row in the audience.

The first thing I noticed is how odd Dr. Phil's body movements are. He seems very stiff, almost like he can't move his neck so he turns with his whole body. Also when they do these 10-15 second pauses, where they later cut in the commercial break, he just kinda looks out at the audience but more looking through them out at the distance. Then all of a sudden perks back up with a "Welcome back to...". Kind of robot like, he almost powers down or something lol.

They actually cut to me and my girlfriend as a reaction shot at one point during the episode lol

This confirms what I've been suspecting all along.

Dr. Phil’s an alien inhabited robot?

No he’s a terminator. “The best and only way to properly deal with your issues is to TERMINATE them”.

Fucking catch him outside how bout dah

Which episode was it?

That one where a girl and her boy friend were experiencing a rough patch in their relationship.

How’d you know mr Johnson

I've been a few of the Late Shows since I lived in NJ/NY

Some notes

• They're not live. They're taped during the day and they re-shoot takes if the "director"? Doesn't like them. This includes interviews with the guests as well as the performances by the musical acts.

• Super strict no camera policy. Before the Tonight Show (w. Fallon) they bring out a comedian to perform for the audience to "get them in the mood". It's mostly the comedian asking where everyone is from and ragging on them about it.

• Speaking of Jimmy Fallon. He's way funnier off air (when he's himself). He's pretty much reading a script during the show.

• They tape corporate videos in between shoots. It's weird but I guess pretty cool if you work at said company.

Speaking of Jimmy Fallon. He's way funnier off air (when he’s himself). He's pretty much reading a script during the show.

Does it tell him when to laugh too? Because that would explain a lot.

The last one was not the case with Conan. During commercial breaks, it was just the band playing. And they were cool with photos up until Conan came out. I was in the second row and got plenty of pictures of the set before the show started. Here’s one

My experience was meh. Fallon isn't really funny and was kind of arrogant, I thought. We were told to laugh (the live audience) uproariously which definitely felt forced since the skits weren't good. It may have been an 'off' night for Jimmy but between skits he ignored the audience and seemed checked out. Then right back to the uproarious laughing. "😂😂"

3 more replies

I went to a live taping of David Letterman. I was surprised by how fast it went. The speed of everything. Made me realize the level of choreography required for each show.

I came away with the same impression from Jay Leno. Every person connected to the show was right on top of their job, and there was quite literally never a dull moment. No period where you could sit and chat with those around you. The show is always moving forward. Even the commercial breaks are over in seconds.

Think of how quickly you can perform rote tasks at your own job. It's a job for them too; they do the same thing every weekday all year long, same as you.

Comment deleted6 months ago(2 children)

I haven't seen any of your coworkers, I think.

I'm sure they are great at what they do, even if it isn't what they are paid to do.

I saw a Conan taping last year and thought the same thing. It really is a well oiled machine. There’s basically no editing it seems, everything was in real time. The show is an hour long, it took an hour to tape. The feed they showed on the overhead TVs is exactly what ultimately airs.

I think what surprised us the most though was during the pre-recorded segments. There was a Clueless Gamer segment during the show, and after the show, we got to watch a prerecorded segment for his upcoming shows in NYC (I guess we were the laugh track for it). Conan stood silently on stage, head down and hands clasped, almost like in prayer, and anytime we laughed at a joke, he would sort of do a fist pump. It’s like even though he’s been doing this so long, he still isn’t confident that the jokes will be well received, and is excited when they are. He doesn’t assume that we will find it funny just because it’s Conan.

Saw Conan as well. Would recommend, especially if you are fans of the guests. Saw Buzz Lightyear in person!

Same but with Craig Ferguson. The warm up guy did over an hour of material total and it seemed like Craig was only there for about 20 mins (obviously it was longer but it went so fast). Was still a fun experience

I saw Craig live too! But for his radio show. I would've loved to have seen his late night talk show, those were the best

I too went to Letterman. It was an episode they were recording a day early because of the Final Four and Letterman had almost lost his voice but went on with the show anyways. Chris Rock was the guest and it was the day of Tiger Woods press conference. Chris went in hard on Tiger and Letterman since it was after Letterman’s scandals as well. It was great and a decent chunk of content didn’t air at all cause Rock got pretty raunchy.

Same here!

My fiancee and I scored tickets to the live taping The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. We had the tickets way before we knew the guest lineup and we got lucky enough to see Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Nealon. The music artist was Gary Clark Jr. We were actually seen on TV a few times and all of our friends and family got to see us. It was a great experience and everything is done over the top and to perfection. Nearly all shows give out free tickets just go online and request them. Highly recommended.

Gary Clark Jr is the greatest. You’re so lucky

Gary Clark is so rad.

1 more reply

I was at the Big Bang theory in the audience in the third season for two separate episodes. It is much funnier in person than on the show, you’re kept laughing between scenes due to comic relief and they give you pizza.

There were several things that were much funnier in person than on the show but it’s more actors reactions between takes etc. At the end of the taping the actors come out and sign, I’ve met them all except for Jim Parsons. Quite fun actually... it did change watching it again all throughout season 4.

Wait what, this show is actually filmed in front of a live audience...? Is this common for sitcoms...?

I thought it was canned laughter too! This should be a TIL!

It's becoming less common but it still happens. Friends was filmed in front of a live audience as well as Two and a Half Men.

I always thought Friends' crowd reactions sounded pretty natural. A nice mix of the laughter timing right and the varied reactions to varied moments.

When a joke isn’t well received by the live audience, the writers stop the show briefly and write a joke for the situation there and then.

I’m not a fan, but that’s pretty impressive,

I've seen so many comments on Reddit about "canned laughter" with people naming sitcoms like Friends, Seinfeld and The Big Bang Theory. I have no idea where people get that "fact." Yes, they were all filmed in front of live audiences. Even the ones that didn't/don't, like How I Met Your Mother would screen the show in front of an audience and record the genuine laughter.

I think it's really rare for any show since the 70s (MASH and The Brady Bunch are the big offenders) to actually have used a laugh track.

1 more reply

How do they get so many people who laugh at things that aren't funny in one place?

Gee I wonder how you could possibly get a bunch of fans of the Big Bang Thoery together and laugh...

1 more reply

How do they know that people in the audience won't go home and tell everyone what happened in the episode before it airs?

I can't imagine there are too many people that seek out Big Bang Theory spoilers, or that anything would really be hurt if something leaked. It's not exactly Game of Thrones.

The GoT live studio audience sign nondisclosures

If I recall to the taping of $h*! My Dad Says, they had us sign an NDA. Which I mean, no one will follow.

They probably don't care, does anything spoiler-worthy actually happen in that show?

ye a few things, i'd tell you but i have fuck all idea how to use the spoiler thing on this site

dude, the guy who you think is gonna be the main character gets his head cut off near the end of season one. It's crazy. I'd of sworn the show was gonna be about those 5 nerds but now it's just the four and it leaves you wondering who is gonna die next.

2 more replies

Same experience with $h*! My Dad Says. Way better in person, and the funniest takes were cut for toned down ones in the final product.

Ooh, it used to be my job to coordinate the audience on a live morning show!

It might surprise you to know that there are a few security checks. We had to check for weapons, and also scan IDs through a list of people who had stalked the hosts.

Of course, we do our best to keep all that fun and relaxed. Just beyond the intimidating security station we'd put coffee, snacks and comfy chairs. After all, we wanted everyone to be relaxed and ready to have real fun.

After that, you can expect a pretty lengthy lecture on what to do during the show, where to go in case of a fire (because studios can be death-traps) and so on. Again we keep it light-hearted and full of jokes, because we don't want an audience on edge.

During the show, it's not like in comedy movies where some producer demands you laugh at unfunny crap and cheer for mediocre shit. For when we need you to clap and cheer out of nowhere (like out of a commercial break) we'll build a little rapport and hype y'all up to cheer naturally.

On my job, audience members had to hold their bladder between commercial breaks. If you couldn't make it back before we started again, we'd seat you in a little area side-stage where you could watch the show on a monitor. On that note, you should probably time your toilet break to get that if you want to see behind the scenes.

Regarding your fellow audience members, you might find a few of them are regulars. You can't just rely on new people showing up, so part of my job was building up a list of people we could call upon when we needed to fill out an audience. Most of them are just nice retirees or fans of the show. A rare few of them can be a bit mentally challenged, becoming regulars because it lets them interact with other people.

I can say that we tried to treat our audience very well. Free gifts from sponsors, free food from suppliers, that sort of thing. After all, y'all are a big part of the show's energy. We want you to be full of food and happiness. On top of that, companies want you to go home with their products so you'll become repeat customers.

Ooh, it also pays to look in advance who will be on the show. Depending on who it is, you could be surrounded by awful superfans who'll probably ruin the experience.

If you're planning on being an audience member, I can say it's definitely a fun one-off. Just remember to wear inoffensive clothing, and please be nice to your audience coordinator (because they've seen some shit).

You should do an AMA!

What's some of the worst experiences? You don't have to share if it bothers ya.

Do the AMA!!

1 more reply

This was such a fun comment to read - thank you!!

do an ama my dude

How'd you land such a cool job?

It was an odd progression actually! At the time I was at uni studying advertising. I wanted to be a copywriter, and am currently doing that today actually.

At the time I joined my university's society for communication degrees. They put a call-out looking for interns on the morning show, so I figured I'd apply.

I made it into the program, and worked my ass off for a few months. Gradually they kept giving me more responsibilities, and eventually had me shadowing the coordinator who was about to leave.

I got a contract for his job when he left, and it all went from there. Because I was still a student, I was only able to do a few weeks on and a few weeks off at a time.

What was your biggest WTF experience?

Ooooooh, well I've had a few regulars break down crying against me explaining that they might not be able to attend again due to illness. That was always awful, but what made it WTF was the fact that I still had to snap back into my fun, bubbly persona and get back to my job right after consoling them.

On that note, it's interesting that you have to put on a show of being charismatic and looking sharp all the time, even though you've been up since 3am. That once led to some pretty WTF experiences when we had a girl's high school sit in the audience. Outside of that job I was a fairly dorky man, and was doubly dorky when I was in high school. Imagine how WTF it felt having to tell multiple underage girls that I couldn't give them my number.

1 more reply

My sister and I were kinda in an audience. When I was 6, we were on Cousin Cliff's Clubhouse. I don't know if this show was seen anywhere but Alabama. He was a magician, and he would have maybe 15 kids on there, sitting on some benches. Occasionally we would participate in his tricks. After it was over, he gave us a bag of candy, small toys, and Grapico. He loved Grapico. My sister and I loved the show, but we were very shy. It was strange to be so close to him. He was friendly though.

There was a show in Arizona kinda like that in the 50s-80s. It was called the Wallace and Ladmo show. My parents told me that they went on it when they were kids and there were only about 10-15 kids in the live audience. But they would give you a bag of candy and toys and such.

Been to Letterman & SNL. Biggest surprise was how small the stages are. I remember thinking you could practically lay down and touch the chairs on Dave's platform and Paul's Shaffer's piano. Also, watching SNL set changes is incredible. The show operates on such a rigid routine, it's amazing to see the sets stacked up and the actors queue up to be in their skits. They will jog up from wardrobe, go into a scene, do their bit, and then jog back to wardrobe. This happens so fast. The sets go up and down incredibly fast - as they are designed. The SNL stage is small, too. Intimate. Also the band stage is way over to the side. I remember when Smashing Pumpkins was on ages ago, in an interview they joked about how they were told to pretend the crowd extended to the right of them, when in reality there is just a wall there. Lorne Michaels wanders around before and during the show like the Godfather. It's funny to see him in person (remember Laser Cats?) and neat to see how involved he is.

Dave L. was not very friendly. He came on, did his thing, and as soon as the camera was off, he was gone. There was little warmth between him & the crowd. I don't blame the guy, it's just the way it was. SNL was the opposite - Fred Armisen played a few punk numbers with one of the female cast members (I can't recall her name) before the show. They joked w/ the crowd, too. Watching the routine and feeling the energy from the studio audience was fun. Going to the taping was a life-long dream for me. Great experience.

I had my 15 seconds of fame on Letterman when they turned the camera on me during the monologue. I was wearing a cowboy hat. This was back in college. In the vid, I didn't raise my hands up b/c I couldn't see/hear Dave. He was standing in a spot behind some cameras and the monitor screen was off to the side. I didn't realize until afterwards that I was on screen. I thought it was odd the camera was pointed at me. https://youtu.be/2tgoTMogGNU

You did fine. You were clapping and smiling. You get a B for your 5 seconds of fame. A commendable talk show audience member performance.

I went to a live taping of Whose Line is it Anyway a few years back. It was one of the most fun I've ever had. The show is not scripted at all but sometimes they do reshoot things with new material if it was too vulgar for TV or if it didn't work. For example, Wayne might sing his portion of a hoedown off the top of his head, it doesn't work and he'll try again with a completely new verse.

At the end they go back and do pick ups of Aisha introducing games or guest stars with the audience clapping and cheering. It is a TV production, they have to put out a product they can show, but it is still very true to the improv despite what some people assume

I was at a Jerry Springer taping. They tape a lot that doesn't show up in the final cut. It was pretty obvious ours was faked while they taped it. And between takes its cold, so cold. They don't tell you that before you get in.

How many boobs did you see?

No boobs as I remember. It was about prostitutes leaving their pimps. The episode recorded right before mine was some porn star who was setting the record for sex with the most men. Might have seen some boobs there. A lot of people walked out of that taping kind of disgusted.

1 more reply

I've been to Late Night with Conan O'Brien, Late Show with David Letterman, Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, and the Colbert Report.

Had a blast at each one. It's amazing how much smaller the studios are than how it seems on TV. And so many stagehands and producers standing around. Letterman seemed to have more fun at a Q&A session with the audience than doing the show. Both times I saw Colbert he came off as super nice. John Oliver, too. Just as you imagine they seem on TV (well, not Colbert Report, that was a character).

Conan's guest was supposed to be Ali G but he bailed, so they got Lara Flynn Boyle last minute. She was drunk or something and kinda hostile. Conan owned her with his classic Conan weirdness.

Wow! How do you get a ticket to these shows? Is it expensive?

For Conan you enter yourself for a lottery. you only have to pay to get to LA.

1 more reply

Have been in the crowd for "A league of their own" in the UK. There's so much you don't see on TV as they just go off on tangents and chat shit for a while. It's so much funnier in person. Plus John Bishop winked at me.. ;)

Actually, I was sitting behind you and he was winking at me. Sorry to tell you this.

Actually, I was shitting behind you and he was winking at me. Sorry to tell you this.

But I was sitting in the last row?!

I was on Wheel of Fortune, but for the first part I spent in the studio audience (mine was taped last that day).

You have to clap, a lot. So much clapping.

The experience would have been a lot cooler if I won more than $1500!

I was on TRL back in 2005.

The studio is EXTREMELY tiny. They would constantly move everyone around during commercial breaks to make it look like more people were in the room.

It was an episode where Simple Plan, Jennifer Aniston, and Chris Brown were all guests. I remember Chris Brown did an in-studio performance of "Run It". and the producers kept telling me to act like I was enjoying it (I was a big metalhead in high school).

My cousin was there with me, and she is the biggest Simple Plan fan in the entire world, so of course she starts crying immediately when they come out, so obviously they put the camera on her, and I'm sitting right next to her, looking miserable with my long hair and Night of the Living Dead t-shirt.

Ended up getting the entire first season of Beavis and Butthead on DVD (given to the entire audience), so it was worth it.

I didn't even know TRL was on for that long, but as a fellow metalhead I would have definitely suffered through an hour of it live for some free Beavis and Butthead.

Yeah this was after the Carson Daily Era. No idea who the hosts were.

I was at the price is right. It's a lot of fun, but you need to get in line hours beforehand to see the show and aren't guaranteed a spot. Maybe this is a little different than, say, a comedy, since the audience wins prizes?

4 more replies

I was at one last night for QI. I've been to quite a few different shows now, they're good fun and a free evening out, would recommend. The only thing is the ticket sites send you a lot of crap you don't want to see, so you have to sift through the good stuff. It also helps living in London so if you don't get in (they always over-allocate tickets so you have to be early) you haven't wasted time and money getting there.

I LOVE QI!! (I'm American). I just imagine there is so much off-track chatter between the guests. The shows must go on for hours. Alan is so funny. Love Bill Bailey, Rich Hall, Jimmy Carr (except his laugh is annoying Ha-HA!), so many funny people. (of course we are on earlier episodes after starting on N-M-O for some reason).

It is a great show :) this was my third time there, it's on P now. The first time I went we had David Mitchell who is one of my faves and the second time we had Jimmy Carr, who is also a favourite. There is a fair bit of chatter and it's usually pretty funny - Alan is always very funny to watch. It takes about two hours to film, so even on QI XL you're only seeing about half of it :)

I went to see one in series E, it was great. I was amazed they managed to get 30 minutes of telly-appropriate footage out of the 3 hours we attended, as it was pure filth!

I went to a few recordings of Black Books, it was great fun , took all night but constantly entertaining, free wine too.

Please tell me the cast were actually drunk

I’m jealous!!! Can you elaborate?

I was in the crowd at Jerry Springer. It surprised me how much the audience was told what to do or say, for some reason. And that one guy you always hear is an employee and always starts it off. I also imagined everything would still be censored... so when I saw the uncensored version of the older episodes playing, I was surprised. Also, jerry is very handsome for his age.

14 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

America's Got Talent- Fun, some audience choreography. Reactions are somewhat legit- audience members are told to stick to cheers and boos rather than shouting stuff out. One act seemed so ridiculous it must have been staged, but besides that it was a lot of fun. A lot of people.

Late Night w/ Seth Meyers- Cool, fun. Seth was really nice and spoke to us before the show. He also answered audience questions during breaks, which was nice. The audience is told to exaggerate their laughter but it adds to the experience. Kate McKinnon was the main guest that night and actually read off a teleprompter at times for her responses, which was weird. They had activities (trivia/dancing) and a comedian to warm up the audience before the start of the show.

Both experiences were a lot of fun. They really take care of their audience.

Was this an audition round of AGT? It always seems like the audience reactions are very forced. Sometimes you see and hear an audience member say something to someone beside them, makes me wonder how they are able to get such good audio from individual audience members if it's not staged.

I went to a bunch of audition tapings for americas got talent when they were in my town one time. The power went out for a bit and when it came back on the producer came out and said they wanted to film our reaction to the power going out for the show since the cameras obviously weren't rolling. So they turned the lights off and we all fake gasped.

We did a few "practice" reactions before the show began which I think were actually filmed haha. It was an audition round in NYC.

Pretty fun. I went to a recording of 'russell howard's good news' when it was on BBC3. Its free, you get about 2 or 3 hours of stand up comedy which is a lot heavier than what they put on tv because they cut it all down becayse at least 2/3s of it was just brutally offensive for a mainstream audience. oh and they gave us free beer before hand

"Brutally offensive for a mainstream audience" Russell Howard's audience is the mainstream. What on earth do ui consider mainstream?

Yeah thats what i mean, hence why it all had to be cut down. But when he was just talking for about 2 hours it had a lot of darker jokes which they were always going to cut out but he wanted to A) see how it landed so he could try for a stand up set and B) get everyone on the set in a good mood and basically go along with the show i think

I went to a live taping of "The X Factor". They were picky about what the audience wore, like they wanted us to look dressy. And there was a countdown to when we had to stand-up and cheer. It was fun, especially seeing all the choreographing the cameramen have to do on-stage while the talent performed. It's also a lot smaller than I realized, like on TV the room looks MASSIVE but in real-life it's probably smaller than the average American high school auditorium. Simon Cowell also looks significantly more orange in real-life lol!!

Orange balancing thanks to Simon Cowell is a hysterical mental image. XD

I read "X- Factor" as "X-Files" and started wondering at which season they added a studio audience, as they certainly don't on the 2 I've seen.

...I'm an idiot.

18 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

I went to the voice and it was terrible, the cast would leave stage nonstop and pretty much acted like we were non-existent. They had no personality until the cameras were rolling. I managed to get Blake to nod his head at me when I waved but that was the most exciting part. The producers would have to call them a million times back to stage and it honestly just felt really disrespectful. Miley Cyrus literally got her makeup fixed every 10 or so minutes. Also, the singers sound way better on TV than they do in real life. I was like 10 feet away from Blake Shelton, Miley Cyrus and Adam Levine and i was fucking bored. I get it's not their job to entertain me then but they could have had the decency to say hi? When not disappeared backstage they just were on their phones. It was like watching a bunch of spoiled teenagers.

Edit: I feel bad I was really negative, so I'm gonna add a positive. The light effects were fucking badass and it was really cool to see the cameras. They were above our heads controlled with like giant metal arms. Also, like everyone else said, stage is much smaller than it looks.

2 more replies

I went to a Jerry Springer show. When you first come in, they pick out less trashy looking people to sit in the front rows. Jerry Springer does a stand up routine for the audience and it was pretty funny. For the audience questions, there's people that run around off camera and whisper questions they want asked on air

When I went, none of that happened.

I was in the audience of tna wresling and it was fantastic more fun than i expected it to be, it was a wild time i loved it

What year TNA?

Can't remember the year but i can remember the events that happened.

Matt hardy before he was that mad persona as champion, bobby lashley deafeated kurt angle in his last match and there was a royal rumble witch i missed.

So who here actually got that free car?

8 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

OH SHIT SOMETHING THAT I CAN ANSWER

During May 2017, I went to see the filming of the 10th series of Robot Wars in Glasgow. It was a life long dream of mine to see it filmed and (one day) compete in events like this. It was amazing!

You had to apply for tickets beforehand, and I got upgraded to a priority seat because I was travelling in from the other side of Great Britain. The tickets were scanned by QR code things by the people in Glasgow, then you were given a coloured band. Blue was for people associated with the event's participants and crew iirc, I got purple, and the peasants who didn't get ticket upgrades got green I think. Ended up being arena side for about 6 hours, got to see and hear a few demonstrations of robotics, and saw 3 bouts.

I'm not in a position to start making the combat robots yet but I hope there is an 11th series. Depending on how the year goes I may go to a few live events this year.

2 more replies

I was in the audience for The Price Is Right, and ended up winning the showcase showdown. So that was pretty dope.

You won the showcase showdown and that's the extent of your story?!?

Did you get the good showcase with the car and/or vacation or the shitty one with the bedroom set and some luggage?

1 more reply

I've been part of a few studio audiences, done most of the local late nights, seen some televised concerts, seen some of the talent shows.

Most of the time is spent sitting/standing around, waiting, especially if you are there early enough to get good seats, with, horror of horrors, no cell phones, because the shows want you to leave them in the car. That makes it a good chance to socialize and meet new people.

It can be a lot of fun, and you sometimes get to see A-listers or really popular bands in person unexpectedly for free. On the other hand, sometimes the shows are all filler.

Also, Conan>Kimmel>Corden

Huge fan of Conan, can you tell us about your experience in their show?

Sure -

You start out in a holding area in a parking lot, a giant Funko Conan on display. You wait for a bit while the audience wranglers wrangle the people who came before you, then you cross the street onto the backside of the WB studio. You enter the soundstage, passing by Conan's supersuit and a Lego Conan. You sit for a bit. The hype man comes out, and starts to warm up the audience. Then the band comes out, and you cheer. Then Conan comes out, and you cheer. He does the monologue. Then the show proceeds right in front of you - maybe bits, maybe guests, maybe comedians, maybe a band - with commercial breaks in between, where the band plays. At the end Conan acknowledges the audience and is super cool, and then you get escorted back to the parking lot.

The reason that Conan's got the most fun show is that he actually acknowledges and responds to the audience - he makes you feel included - and is not just reading off a teleprompter. His staff is also very professional and efficient. It does take a few hours between check in and the end, but it's an entertaining afternoon.

Yep, this 100%. We did a Conan taping last year and it was an absolute blast. Took the better part of the day but absolutely worth it.

1 more reply

I mean I watch good morning america everyday while I eat breakfast so...idk. it's aight

Why?

Because i have tv and don't was eat breakfast in silence like a caveman

To see how amazing Robin Roberts looks today.

Leno. He was surprisingly nice and interactive with the audience before the show and during commercial breaks.

It was also interesting to see how the seating worked. It was definitely all ugly people in the back and all photogenic people in the front. Your place in line has no effect on how close you sit. I wonder how much shit the assistants get for that.

Umm so where did you seat? With the uggos or the good looking

My friend and I were in the audience of Emeril when we were about 12 years old. It was pretty good overall, me and my family were Emeril fans at the time. However, during a break, Emeril offered to all the kids in the audience to come up to the set and grab some ice cream from the fridge. Some staff went around to pick out all the kids - and they didn't pick us. Apparently 12 is too old for free ice cream :'(

I went with two friends to AFV and they put my two friends in the front row and me in the back corner with the reason being they had a “TV smile”....aka I’m ugly. Hahaha

I went to see John Stewart right before he left the Daily Show and it was great. He seemed so genuine and nice and answered some audience questions before the show started. During the show I was super annoyed because the guy in front of me kept screaming “I LOVE YOU JOHN BABY!” But John Stewart himself was awesome.

*Jon

I went to a live taping of All That when I was in 4th grade. The spice girls "performed." By that I mean I watched them lip synch the song "spice up your life" twice.

I watched a classroom skit and a Dear Ashley skit. They had us dance and play games between filming, they had us react to scenes. Other scenes were filmed either in front of another audience that day, or on another day. I got to meet kenan Thompson and josh server, and got his autograph

I already knew Amanda Bynes kinda sorta because she lived in Thousand Oaks, ca, which is where I also lived at the time. We had mutual friends and families pretty much knew each other through school

1 more reply

Surprisingly exciting. They have people that hype up the crowd and I consider myself reserved, but I found myself hollering and doing the dance moves they instructed the audience to do

Original Poster1 point · 6 months ago

Dance moves? What did you go to see?

It's a local noontime variety show in my country, where the opening segment has the hosts singing the theme song while dancing with the audience

Eat Bulaga or Showtime?

Showtime. Incidentally, last week of March a couple of years back

I knew it, since only few countries has noon time shows.

1 more reply

I was in one on a school trip. They paid someone to act like an audience member, the person was extremely funny, loud and kept us entertained. Besides that, they tell you when to clap and be quiet , it sucked.

I went to a taping of the price is right a few months ago with a big group of friends. It was actually the most fun I’d had in a while. Everyone (in my group at least) was dancing to the music between takes, Drew Carey talked to the audience and told jokes while they were doing set changes for different games, and a girl from my group got called down and got to play! It was so fun. Definitely recommend to anyone if they find themselves in LA to try to go to a show.

In highschool I sat in the audience for a live taping of Royal Canadian Air Farce. It's a sketch comedy show from the 90's focused on current events- mostly political.

I never found the show funny- but I enjoyed the hell out of it when I was in the audience. There were several seta laid out next to each other- like watching a play. Certain parts had to be filmed beforehand, and those portals were displayed on TV screens.

The whole thing ran smoothly and seemlessly. Of course there was a sign that let you know when to laugh, and the prepormers would get you amped up before hand too. The combination of these things is probably what made it so much more enjoyable.

I was in the audience at Maury. Drove 3 1/2 hours to get there for 8am. Wait in line to get bracelets but had to wait for the second taping. They send you out to wander around CT for 2hrs until it's time to come back. They then made us wait in another room watching old Maury reruns on a olddd big screen while feeding us cold pizza. After 6 or 7 hrs we get into the studio to see it's a recap show. We got to see nothing just Maury talking and someine telling us to clap or boo. Not worth it at all.

I was in the audience for a taping of Podge and Rodge. It was hilarious, but man, they cut so much out of that episode. They had a comedian telling jokes so that we, the audience, wouldn't notice when they moved the puppets around. He was damn good at his job, none of us noticed.

I've been in the audience for two game shows now, Wheel of Fortune when they came to my hometown in 1998, and Who Wants To Be A Millionaire in 2004.

I was only 13 when I saw Wheel so memories are a little hazy, but as I recall it ran pretty close to real time. I remember Charlie O'Donnell, the announcer at the time, did a warm up routine before each show (we saw the first two of five taped that day, then a different audience was seated for the last three) and was very funny. He made us pledge not to shout out any puzzle answers during taping, and then stressed about 5 more times that we shouldn't shout out any answers. Then during the first commercial break, Pat Sajak came out to say a few words...and again told us not to shout out any answers. It made me wonder if they had had major problems with this in the past.

Millionaire also was pretty close to what you saw on TV. Only two things got edited out as far as I could tell: the Ask The Audience results took a lot longer to tabulate than what's shown on TV, and someone's Phone-A-Friend didn't answer when they tried to call him so they had to choose a different one.

I went to a live show of The Voice a few years back. I just tagged along with a friend who got tickets. I remember there was a lot of waiting to actually get into the venue. I also recall them telling us to clap a certain way with your arms above your head. They would signal to us when to clap and my arms got so tired I told myself I’ll never go to a live show again. Also Christina Grimmie performed but at the time I didn’t know who she was... It was surreal to think about a few years later.

Never mind the Buzzcocks! With Warwick Davis as the host, so I got lucky. Warwick seemed to get annoyed at one point with the panel guests but he was a great host and stayed professional. Noel & Phil came into the audience at the beginning and had a good laugh with us for 20 minutes before recording started. It was a really relaxed night and completely free.

2 more replies

Probably no one will believe me (because on Reddit it's cool to talk about shows having a "laugh track" instead of a real audience) but my wife and I were at the taping for an episode of The Big Bang Theory. It was long. Took 3 or 4 hours I believe. They brought in pizza for us to eat in between scenes.

They had a guy warming up the audience with some comedy before they started, and then he would sort of coach us through a little bit of what they wanted. For example when they'd do a scene a second time (to try a different line or get other angles, etc.) they guy would remind us to pretend like it's the first time we've heard the lines (to try and keep the laughs loud I guess.)

Overall it was a fantastic experience, we had a lot of fun and it's really cool to have been a part of that.

The episode was "The Pants Alternative" but at the taping the little program they handed out had the title as "The Medal Resistance".

Worth it for the free pizza.

I'm guilty of still watching that show. I'm at the point where I've invested this much time into it I might as well keep watching. It still has its lolworthy moments IMO.

Closest I've come to is back in the early 90's we went to Universal Studios and got to see a taping of a new game show. It was one where one family member would go off stage and the other family member would be asked questions about them. They would then be brought back onstage to answer the same questions and if they match they get points. I honestly don't remember the show but I don't think it lasted long. The only cool thing I remember was they actually stopped doing anything for commercial breaks.

I was in one this week, the Sky News 100 Women event for International Women's Day. It was amusing to see how many people/cameras/microphones it took to make it happen.

Went to the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson once in early 2010. It was about how I expected. Threatened within inches of our lives if our cell phones rang by the producers. It was a great experience really and I'm glad I did it though I'd probably be content not to ever go see another show being taped.

One weird thing that stood out for me was that he taped in the same studio where the Price Is Right is taped. Like 98% of the merch in the gift shop was Price Is Right with just a sad few Craig Ferguson items here and there. The signage everywhere talks about TPIR. Clearly TPIR was the star of that studio.

I miss his show so much. I always wanted to attend one of his shows but never made it. Saw him do stand up and I just love that guy, so I took that

We have a show called QI with Stephen Fry here in the UK. Got free tickets and got to be part of the Christmas special... filmed in August. Was actually hilarious and great fun.

When I was on a group trip as a teen, we went to a taping of Blossom. Was almost like a play of the show, but with breaks between filming some scenes to set up. They didn’t do too many retakes. There were light up signs above stage telling us when to laugh, groan, etc.

Before the filming began, there was like a fluffer who came out and told some jokes to warm up the audience, get us more into mood to laugh.

I went to America's Funniest Home Videos (AFV) in either 2008 or 2009 and it was pretty normal. We had to dress up (dress shirt, tie, slacks) and we got in line at the studio waiting to go in and they had people going around finding attractive people to put at the front. Afterwards they sat us down and started recording. It was super cold in there and I remember Tom only had to re-do a couple takes, he was a pro. We got to vote for the funniest video, but I am still convinced they don't care about the votes, they already know who the winner is. Oh we also weren't allowed to take our phones in.

1 more reply

My mom won a lottery to see Late Night with Conan O'Brien (before NBC screwed him over). I went with my brother and his gf. We had no clue who the guests were when we went in. The studio was way smaller than it seems. One comedian came out prior to hype everyone up. Then Conan came out himself to hype us up. Super tall, skinny, and pale he was. Also, as most of you know and it was stated below, it's not done live, as in at airing time, but around 5pm EST. It was fun, but the guests were meh.

When I was a kid, my mom scored us tix to see Emeril! Live. We went, and there was much waiting around before even getting seated in the studio. Thankfully it wasn't a line we were waiting on, but a small room with chairs and snacks. In the studio, it's small and if you don't get picked to sit up front, at the counter or in the bistro seats near the front (not sure if people remember this show). We were not the lucky chosen ones and were stuck in seats in the crowd. Unfortunately, it's not a tiered studio. So we were all at ground level, same height. So with cameras and people's heads, it wasn't the best view. Also, they prep you prior and make sure to drill it into you that when they tell you to applause (applause sign, of course), applause and yell! They wanted everyone to be animated. There were also camera guys roaming around the audience to capture reactions. One guy came right next to me; I was in an aisle seat. I felt really awkward and didn't know what to do. I ignored him and put this weird, fake smile on. I doubt I was aired on TV. Also, the show we were at wasn't aired for another several months I believe. I did not get to taste any of his food.

I've seen a couple:

While I was in high school we got to go see CPO Sharkey with Don Rickles. Don't remember it being that long, but Rickles was REALLY nice and as funny as they come. I was expecting a gruff old dude because of his act. Not that way at all.

Early 2000 we saw Whose Line is it Anyway with the original British Host before Drew Carey. Greg Proops (That dude is BIG) was great. Brought a couple of props that didn't make it. Fun day.

Around 1986 we saw Gallagher tape his Overboard concert. This one was long. Stayed through the whole live show. He then invited everyone to stay and watch the shoots for supplemental stuff and re-shoots from the first taping. Didn't leave til after midnight. He talked with the audience while they were setting up shots and answered questions. Great guy. During the show you see a net of sledgehammers dropped on stage. These were made from foam and 3' long cardboard tubes that were painted. He threw those out into the audience at the end and I got to take one home.

Living in Los Angeles has its advantages...

The studio was much smaller than I expected. Wide-angle lenses make it look larger.

I went to a taping of Lip Sync Battle. There's nothing that unusual about it, it's a pretty generic show. I saw John Krasinski (Jim from the office) and god damn is he handsome. I'm a straight guy, but he's way hotter than anna kendrick or Chrissy Teigen or Jennifer Lopez (who I saw on the show as well).

Unrelated but I felt very...dirty for cheering on such awful and stupid content though.

Ever seen Channing Tatum's performance on there?

1 more reply

It wasn't an actual episode of a show, but it was an improv show by Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood, so it was basically an episode of Whose Line. They took a suggestion for a scene that a friend of mine shouted at them (shrimp aquariums), and another audience member who was on stage as a volunteer doing sound effects for Mochrie's acting ended up singing Eleanor Rigby with about five seconds of warning when Mochrie mimed putting a cd into a car stereo. He was actually quite a good singer.

I've been to that show. It's pretty good. My husband got tickets for me since I've always loved Whose Line, starting back when I was a teen watching the British show. My husband isn't a fan, but he did laugh a lot and admitted that it was good. I'd recommend to anyone who enjoys the show to see these two if they come to your area.

There used to be a local kids show called "Blinky the Clown". My brother was on it because it was his birthday (or birfday as Blinky liked to say it). I think it caused me to have a deep suspicion of clowns in general. Some guy looking like a alcoholic clown trying to be funny.

I went to a filming of $h*! MY Dad Says. They gave us pizza, promised wed all win some amount of cash(that never happened) and we watched the filming. Quite a few retakes an rewrites, in between William Shatner would come up towards the audience and BS with us, the other actors would just leave the area. There was one scene where shatner had to semi slam the fridge, so one take they wanted more agressive slam from him. He went all out, all the magnets and papers on the fridge flew off. It was actually hilarious. They didnt use that cut.

Comment deleted6 months ago(2 children)

What show and what episode, I want to hear this laugh.

I've only ever gone to 2, I'm not sure of the episode names/numbers, but they're on The Big Bang Theory.

Went to Universal Studios Florida And was in the audience directly behind the “celebrities” on Figure It Out! It was an episode having to do with animals I believe because we were in the “dog pound” or something or other.

If I remember correctly, there was a lot of getting the audience pumped up and getting us to clap and cheer on cue. I don’t even remember the acts or contestants because they weren’t really there for YOU to watch. You’re there to make the people at home seem like they’re in the audience there, seeing it live.

The only thing I cared about was hoping to see myself on TV in the background. They told us a range for when the episode would be aired but I never did see the episode.

:( saddest part of it all.

Not a TV show, but I was there for a jeff dunham show that was being filmed. Was definitely better in person than over TV. After they were done filming he had another puppet he wanted to test out, that one was okay.

I felt like a seal in a water park show. They have someone there to ensure you scream and yell and whistle and clap at the right time. Clap, clap, clap. I messed with them good by clapping out of sync. This was in London.

I went to a live taping of Conan with my aunt and uncle when I was visiting LA. It was the episode with the whole cast of Orange is the New Black. I knew it was a popular show but never watched so I figured the camaraderie of the cast would be fun to see. The conversation was hilarious but it was a bit uncomfortable to be sitting their with family. Also, Conan has like the strangest body I've ever seen in person and he's even goofier in person. During the commercial breaks though he and Andy (his sidekick) didn't talk at all. They never even conversed until the camera's starting to roll.

How is his body strange?

1 more reply

In no particular order, I’ve been in the audience for: Mock the Week Harry Hill’s TV Burp Never Mind the Buzzcocks Taskmaster QI Argumental 8 Out of 10 Cats Pointless And a few other smaller shows. Didn’t even realise until just now how many I’ve been to.

Personal favourite is Taskmaster - the guests go on wonderful tangents, and there’s so much that sadly gets cut.

Argumental was an interesting one: in the break, I got to go on stage and guess which of Johnny Vegas’ toes is a fake. Also Chris Addison needed a pen, and rejected my biro.

Different format but I was a background extra for a part in Pawn Stars. We happened to be in there visiting as a producer came out and let everyone know there would be a filming shortly so they'd have to get everyone out. The shop was PACKED with tourists. So they started handing out some non disclosure agreements to maybe a dozen people to stick around. I was lucky enough to obtain one.

Took an hour and a half to film a 5 minute segment. Redid lines left right and centre that I assume they splice together in editing. They didn't make a deal, and filmed the customer walking out of the building 5 times. The whole time we were told to be completely silent but pretend to be shoppers, which got hard considering how small that place is. Security behind the desk eventually made it better while filming by talking and having insanely quiet conversations with us.

All in all a cool experience, but probably wouldn't do it again. Got to be a bit tedious after a while. Producers told us that Rick and Chum Lee wouldn't stick around for pictures or anything afterwards but we were welcome to politely ask after filming was done. Filming wrapped and they took off pretty quickly. Never saw my episode on TV. Assuming I ruined it and made it un-airable by marking out and being a nervous awkward dork in the background.

2 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

I was in the audience for SNL #448. Kelsey Grammer was the host and Sheryl Crow was the musician. Shaq was a guest star. It was an all day experience. Getting a ticket involved waiting for over an hour to be picked by someone. They pick their audience to insure a proper demographically mixed environment. You then get a tour. Once everyone is seated the hijinks begin.
Many of the shows cast interact with the audience during commercial breaks. The studio is not as big as I was expecting and there were cameras everywhere. So many cameras! Lots of staff and movement to set up each scene as you would expect. It was very well choreographed. And it's more funny live because you respond to hearing other people laugh around you.
It was kept cold intentionally to keep everyone alert. And it was fun. Highly recommend it next time you're in NYC. From start to finish it'll take around 5 hours to do. And it was free. Hope it still is.

Edit: evidently there are many ways to get tickets. I went to the "stand on the street in front of the building the day of for free" option.

I went to have I got news for you. It was super boring. Took between 3 and 4 hours to film a half hour show. Its not what it was.

Username checks out (OP)

I took my parents to see Real Time with Bill Maher. We only had to be there an hour early and the warm up guy was hilarious. Went to the farmers market afterwards and had a delicious crepe. Would definitely do it again.

I went to a taping of The View. I don’t like the show and have never seen more than the amount of time it takes to change the channel, but my boyfriend and I wanted to see a taping of something, and that’s all we could get. The woman next to me exceeded the amount of space her chair provided, so she literally sat partially on me for the entire show. She also seemed to know everything that was going on, so I got the impression she was a frequent audience member. They made us stand outside in line before going in, and then we were ushered into a room and assigned specific tables with specific people. The crew directing us was not the friendliest. There was a Starbucks in the room—I think it was the employee cafeteria that they held us in? The show itself was boring and annoying, and I was mortified to see the ladies have their hair brushed and clothes lint rolled by staff members between takes. Totally unnecessary. There was also this guy that is a comedian who “rallied” the audience to make us louder before each segment to make it seem more exciting. It was not. It was just that lady sitting in my leg. But she had a really good time.

I was in the audience for The Man Show when I was 18, it was cool. They were really strict about checking ids and giving out wristbands to ensure they don't give beer to anyone underage. However when they give the audience beer they just pour it in cups and pass it down the row, they have to give out a lot of beer to a lot of people and never once checked to see if anyone had a wristband on. By the end they gave us all 3 or 4 beers. It was pretty fun.

61 more replies

/r/AskReddit is the place to ask and answer thought-provoking questions.

r/AskReddit Rules
Rule 1 - Questions must be clear and direct
Rule 2 - No personalized advice requests
Rule 3 - Open ended questions only
Rule 4 - No personal info
Rule 5 - No loaded questions
Rule 6 - No questions seeking professional advice
Rule 7 - No begging for goods or services
Rule 8 - No demeaning terms or personal attacks
Rule 9 - No image only replies or large ascii art
Comments in [Serious] posts must be on topic