What is the best lifehack you use during your everyday life?

When I get out of bed, I fucking sprint to the bathroom. Wakes me up.

There's a massive fucking spider that's always hiding somewhere in the bathroom so waking up for me is putting my glasses on and having a super tense and alert session waiting for Samson to pop out.

I had a spider in my house that I tried to kill with Axe body spray. Now his name is Chad and he fucks all the girl spiders in my house.

Fucking Chad

Chad is fucking

That is the title of the yet unreleased autobigraphy of one of the girl spiders, Tiffany.

I named my Clarence.

He had a good run, but pretty sure my cat eventually ate my bathroom-spider-bro.

Is he a good boy though? I have a spiderbro that always chills on the top of my AV stand. I shoo him away, but he always comes back. Now he's my best friend.

One time there was a huntsman spider under the toilet seat and I put my hand like 2cm next to it when I lifted the seat.

That makes me want to cry omg

2 more replies

I had one too and she was hanging right above my window, while i was on vacation she moved to my shower!! I told her several times that she needs to go and i also destroyed her web several times only to find it back the next day... had to kill her :(

4 more replies

When I get out of the bathroom, I sprint to my bed. Puts me to sleep.

What if you wake up in the bathroom?

How far away is your bathroom from your bed? Lol

7 more replies

Using the pomodoro technique for productivity. It’s helped a lot more than I expected. Cutting up chunks of work and rewarding myself with distractions or food is surprisingly effective.

Also if you’re a writer 4thewords.com makes writing fun...I mean it’s actually literally a game.

4thewords.com

Don't know why yours didn't work. Maybe missing the http:// bit.

2 more replies

I started giving myself hourly goals instead of daily or weekly goals when I started my first big boy job. Everyone else worked on weekly goals and when they missed their mark, couldn't come back from it.

It's easier to come back from a slow 1 hour compared to a slow week.

I tried this, found it more distracting to have a break every so often than to just plow through an assignment then take a break. Once I start working, I finish the job, but it’s hard to get me to start sometimes.

That pomodoro technique is new to me and looks really interesting. I think I’m going to try it out since long term focus is definitely something I lack. Thanks for pointing it out!

If you want, try out the app called Forest for pomodoro.

Basically you set a time anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour or so, and it will plant a little tree or bush. If you don't use your phone and stay on task during the whole time, that tree or bush will be added to your forest. The size of the tree depends on the time.

The only downside is you have to pay for a cummulative forest more than a day

1 more reply

I didn't know this had a name. I started using a timer for tasks when I was in a REALLY bad place with my mental health.

Now when I've got a lot to do, I will play some of whatever game I'm into currently, and set a timer for a half hour or an hour. Then I go and do cleaning or whatever is needed for the same amount of time, then go back to gaming.

It takes me like all day to clean the whole house, because of frequent stopping like that, but I honestly can just keep on working all day long without burnout this way.

5 more replies

The snipping tool. Find out what it is. Save it to your toolbar at work. Use it for everything. You're welcome.

On Windows, Shift+Windows+S opens just the tool itself where you can select a portion of the screen and save it to your clipboard. I use this countless times

MY MAN

I hated having to open the app, hit ctrl-N for new snip, and THEN select the part of the screen to copy. This is an amazing tip. THANK YOU!

4 more replies

Bonus: alt+print screen to screenshot just the active window you're in!

Then you have to paste it somewhere, but I usually send screenshots in Facebook - btw you can paste screenshots directly to FB too, don't need to save it to your computer first.

windows button + print screen button automatically saves to My Pictures. No pasting required.

Command Shift 4 on Mac OS X

4 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

CMD+SHIFT+3 Saves an entire screenshot to Desktop

CMD+SHIFT+4 Lets you drag an area to screenshot and saves to Desktop

CMD+CTRL+SHIFT+4 Does the above but only COPIES it to clipboard, so you can paste it

CMD+SHIFT+4+SPACE let's you save an application window screenshot

You can also screenshot menus

You can also change the file format in terminal. Mine was defaulting to (huge) TIFF files. Go to terminal and copy/paste

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg;killall SystemUIServer

where the "jpg" is, change it to TIFF, PNG, PDF etc, whichever suits your purposes.

13 more replies

Coffee nap.

Quickly drink 8-12oz of ice coffee right before a planned nap. Sleep for 30 mins and the caffeine starts to kick in right when your nap should end and you wake up groggy free and gradually energized.

You’re welcome.

If only I could fall asleep in 30 minutes

A trick for THAT is to stop doing anything in your bed other than sleeping, and when you're REALLY burned out listen to a specific thing- perhaps a chapter or two from an audiobook or an episode of a nice mellow podcast.

After a couple weeks, when you get to your bed and put on that book or podcast, your brain will know what this means and will almost immediately comply. My girlfriend's brother uses The Office, she uses nature documentaries, I use this one short story narrated by Stephen Fry, and my best friend's fiancee uses the Harry Potter audiobooks.

3 more replies

ah yes, a nappuccino

family friend made this up i will take no credit

You're welcome.

4 more replies

6 more replies

To untie stubborn knots, twist and push inwards.

I prefer the Alexander method, but to each his own.

Yeah, that one's pretty great.

10 more replies

3 more replies

2 more replies

Empty all my change into a tin as soon as i step in the house. End up with a good amount saved by the time the tin is full.

Have been doing this for years..amazing how it adds up

My wife and I have taken this a step further. We always hated having to sort all the coins out so we made different containers for different coins.

Gallon Milk jug is quarters

2 liter bottles for dimes, nickels and pennies.

You know, I usually just take my jar of change to the bank and have them sort it with their machine, but this sounds like it would take all the work out of it. Plus you could wrap them yourself if you get the papers. Good idea!

I do this as well, then use it to buy stuff at self scans (mostly groceries). No fees added like coinstar does and no wasted time rolling the coins.

The real LPT is in the comments!

15 more replies

To open difficult jars, don't buy special tools. Put on a pair of rubber gloves.

It's the same material as the circles they sell, but you don't have to deal with dropping them, and your hands aren't going to slip as easily

You can also often use a spoon or knife to break the vacuum by gently prying underneath the lid!

32 more replies

Putting my phone in a different room when I want to sleep and getting a proper alarm clock. It's made a surprisingly good impact on my quality of sleep.

Original Poster44 points · 2 months ago

Maybe I should try that. Having quite a hard time leaving my phone on the table without having to constantly pick it up and use it for random stuff

I just leave it out of easy reach - once I'm in bed I'm too lazy to get out to get my phone - also it means when the alarm goes off I have to get out of bed to turn it off.

Same. Mine is across the room from my bed... I still reset it and go back to sleep sometimes, but at least I have to move.

1 more reply

my phone goes into DND mode when i turn it screen face down. no lights, no sounds, no vibrations. except for a preset alarm.

my phone goes into DND mode.

You are in a darkened room. A pulsing notification light occasionally illuminates the inky gloom.

Roll for save against compulsion.

7 more replies

brush my teeth in the shower... and pee in the shower to save time:)

pee in your mouth to save water while you brush!

I wish I didn't think shit like this was funny.

Genius!

5 more replies

But why not poop in the shower too?

waffle stomp that shit when you are done.

2 more replies

Never understood this one. I don’t see how it saves time as you still have to take the time to stop washing and brush. Just seems like a waste of water if anything.

If you're someone who conditions your hair, then it would make sense. I'm a girl and I have long hair, and when I condition my hair, I use the time waiting for the conditioner to set in to brush my teeth and cleanse my face.

Either way I'm going to have to wait 2-3 minutes for the conditioner to work it's charm, so I might as well use that time to brush and pee, and I end up saving those few minutes before the shower. Those few minutes aren't life changing, but when I'm in a rush or trying to be efficient, it helps a ton.

17 more replies

3 more replies

2 more replies

I eat messy/greasy snacks with a cup while gaming or just being on my computer. Let's you take a real quick sip of chips and prevents your mouse and keyboard from getting all gross.

Holy fuck....get this man a nobel prize

5 more replies

I eat messy snacks with chopsticks so that my hands stay clean and I can do work. No more cheeto dust on my jeans or papers!

Thanks Mr Pitt!

Doing it this way implies one has “some” grace.

Grace is a tough one. I like to think I have a little grace--not as much as Jackie O...

Thats genious. All this time i was eating chips with a spoon and the noise i made were bothering the poeple around me :(

But croissants.

Croissants are impossible. Park bench is the only real option.

6 more replies

If you're really hungover, get a big thing of water (40oz) and then put a shot and a half of vodka in it. Drink it slowly while getting ready and you will feel way better.

It's not enough alcohol to effect you but it will be sufficient for hair of the dog, you get hydrated, and you won't even notice the taste with that much water.

Had a roommate who was a RN. He would bring home a bag of saline for his drinking night, get shitfaced and in the morning put the IV in while he was getting ready for work.... It hydrates you faster...

Yea, but then you have to be a nurse.

Those people deal with some serious (literal) shit. I have nothing but a slightly terrified respect for the good ones.

Some frat boys I knEw would poke an IV in each other while still drunk. When too drunk to hit the arm they would try the neck... ugly sight.

I guess if you bleed out, the hangover is technically gone?

You can't have a problematic blood alcohol content if you don't have blood.

1 more reply

Maybe it's because I'm a light weight or something, but if I drink the same volume of Gatorade as alcohol before sleeping, I never wake up with a hangover. I feel a bit slow and groggy, but never a headache or sick feeling.

Lucky, I'm guess you're under 23. I never experience the two-day hangover until recently.

27 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

Oh god... Im 21 and I always brag that I never have a hangover no matter the amount of tequila I drink. I hope it doesnt come for me.

Edit: thanks guys haha not looking forward to especially because I am tiny I feel like the hangovers will be terrible

It absolutely is coming for you.

At 21 I could drink all night and no hangover even on very little sleep. Then around 24 or 25 everything changed. I can still drink beers for a bit but if i know that if I drink one too many I'm useless the next day. I am 27 now

It happens like someone flipping a switch one day — suddenly hangovers are a thing. Not too bad, just unpleasant.

And then they continue to get worse. Your body just starts to hate you.

It will.

It does...

7 more replies

I didn't get drunk until I was 24. My first Hangover was a 2 day giant...

Training is important. Practice 7 days a week for 10 years and you’ll get it down.

1 more reply

I am under 23. I'm not prepared for aging.

5 more replies

there's no way i'm drinking 30 beers worth of gatorade before bed!

Pro level drinker.

Especially of water. Who the hell can drink 40 oz of water "while getting ready"?

3 more replies

I don't think this is good advice but I'm not educated enough to retort.

It's solid advice for brutal hangovers, not everyday I guess.

Perfect for college, then.

2 more replies

This life hack assumes that by the time I'm done drinking, there's vodka left to be found.

That’s the only hole in the system.

1 more reply

How is more alcohol supposed to help?

From a scientific standpoint.

You go through acute alcohol withdrawal after a night of heavy drinking, this helps with that.

This creates the alcoholic.

1 more reply

A hangover is your body going through withdrawal from the alcohol. "Hair of the dog" will eliminate the withdrawal by supplying your body with more alcohol, but it's only a short term solution

If you're afraid of getting a hangover, never stop drinking. Usually does the trick.

6 more replies

If you want to quickly unrack your weights after deadlifting, unrack only one side, tip the bar over, and then pull it out.

30 points · 2 months ago · edited 21 days ago

For whatever reason I really like doing this. I pretend like I'm raising the flagpole at Iwo Jima.

Also put a smaller weight under a side to make getting weights in that side easier.

Edit: words

23 more replies

righty tighty lefty loosy

Right to tight

French is my native language. Never really understood why we need to know what left does once you already know whats with the right.

Same thing in german: "Solang das Deutsche Reich besteht sich die Schraube rechts rein dreht."

A slong as the german reich exists, the screw turns right in

Clockwise closes.

You know they aren't teaching how to read analog clocks in school anymore? A lot of people use clockwise and counter-clockwise for directions, it is gonna be wierd when people no longer understand what it means.

3 more replies

2 more replies

Need to get from Midtown to Queens really quick and don't want to pay $2.75 to get on the (often late and terrible) Queens-bound trains? Just hop on the LIRR and get off at Jamaica (or Forest Hills or Woodside, whichever). If you're good at dodging the conductors, you can even do it for free.

Why not just hail a taxi and then jump out without paying?

That's an easy way to get your ass kicked and/or arrested in varying orders.

Do it while it's still moving and you'll be long gone by the time he puts it in park.

Sounds r/mildlyillegal to me

2 more replies

TP turd landing pad in the toilet bowl to prevent splashback.

The dreaded Poseidon’s Kiss!

You can wipe the seat down with that extra TP too. Can't hurt.

4 more replies

Everyday I buy a Big Mac and set one ingredient aside, and then at the end of the week I have a free Big Mac.

And I bet you love it even more because you made it yourself.

mmm, week old McDonald’s

Still as good as new

1 more reply

I'd love to hear your technique for setting aside the special sauce

2 more replies

For leg or foot cramps, pinch the area between your nose and upper lip. It takes a few seconds and doesn't work every time, but sometimes it keeps you from having to get out of bed during the night.

I used to get really bad leg cramps, what I do when I feel them coming is swing into a sitting position and put my feet flat on the floor. Worked every time.

Just take some magnesium. Leg cramps are a classic sign of magnesium deficiency.

Or potassium deficiency, or dehydration, or just overexertion.

Yep. And magnesium can mess with drug uptake, not something you want if you take regular medication (e.g. the pill). Speak to your doctor before starting any new medication.

2 more replies

Try putting your foot flat on something cool. And then drink some pickle juice.

2 more replies

Flex the muscle above it repeatedly. I.e., if your foot is cramping, flex the calf. If your calf is cramping, flex your thigh. Don't move it, just tighten, relax, tighten, relax. This will help get blood flowing through the troublesome area so it'll ease up.

Before clipping your nails, take a bath. This will make the nails more soften.

Need more soften in your life? Take a bath

I hate the feeling of cutting soft nails D: when I had long hair, my hair used to cut through my nails in the shower and the cringe was real.

I feel like you might have some sort of vitamin deficiency going on.

This has happened to me too... What do I lack? MAKE ME HEALTHIER PLEASE.

1 more reply

Wait, what? How sharp was your hair?

Do you not regularly take a whetstone to your hair?

1 more reply

I have this same problem, it’s such a cringey feeling. It doesn’t help that my hair is down to my hips so it’s pretty unavoidable.

2 more replies

If you have a tub in the shower. Lay in it during the shower. That way you can sleep and clean yourself simultaneously.

Or you could just take a bath

I usually just wake in the morning and head straight for the shower, ain't nobody got time to fill up the tub.

4 more replies

I feel like this is a great way to accidentally drown

better than that, get a plastic lawn chair and put it in the shower... seated showers are amazing... especially when you are tired.

1 more reply

How about showering with your clothes on? To quote a vine, "I'm washing me and my clothes"

1 more reply

If you have trouble getting out of bed because of depression or anything else, set a "get out of bed" alarm a bit after your wake up alarm.

You just invented the snooze but....... never mind

snooze relies on me being awake enough having just woke up to swipe the thing the other way. I rely on multiple alarms because otherwise I'd end up swiping off instead of snooze on occasion and over sleeping.

4 more replies

6 more replies

Use medical gloves while eating hot wings... Honestly I saw my husband do it while we met up for dinner after his shift and just thought it was brilliant. He's a medic and always has gloves on him.

Disposable gloves are very useful for many things around the house from cleaning to handling raw chicken.

3 more replies

When you get fried chicken at a restaurant in Colombia, it always comes with a pair of disposable gloves. I find it more awkward than just using my hands and then cleaning them, but I see where they're coming from.

Packing my lunch the night before work. All I have to do is remember to grab it from the fridge!

Life Hack #2... Put your keys on your lunch box in the fridge... that way you'll never forget your lunch...

Life hack 3. Lock front door so you cant leave n lock yourself out.

Life Hack 4: pee and brush your teeth on a key sandwich in a locked room.

3 more replies

1 more reply

I'm tall, so doing dishes is a pain in the back[side] - so I use a bar stool and open the cupboard under the sink and I'm able to do the dishes painlessly!

Ha! That's gold.

Two questions though, how damn tall are you? And how damn short is your sink?

Tall guy, never had issues.

4 more replies

Wake up at 5;00. Not only to I get a ton done in the morning, but I fall asleep at 10:00 each night and sleep like a baby because I’m so tired,

We call your kind "morning people" and we don't like your kind, 'round these parts.

Problem here... some of us simply can't just "wake up at 5am". I can be out of bed, and somewhat mobile... but I'm fairly useless mentally.

I'm basically a walking zombie until 8-9am. Doesn't matter how early I go to bed.

2 more replies

This is a newer one for me, but I love it. Been trying to save some money and needed a bunch of new clothes for work and my washing machine is dying.

We have a mechanic shop at our office though, and I asked if I could sign up for their uniforms and wear them for my job as well.

I now have fitted, comfortable clothes for my work week, laundered fresh for me every week, and it costs about $9 a week. They're also great for working on stuff around my home, out in the garden, or anywhere else that clothes can get nasty.

just FYI if you are in the USA, uniforms can be tax deductible

Oh yeah, I need to remember to save my receipt, thanks!

just FYI "tax deductible" only applies if you’re claiming more than the standard deduction

1 more reply

What do you do for work that you are not a mechanic, but can wear mechanic type apparel?

he's a technician

1 more reply

I work at Hooters as a dishwasher...I need to try this!

Cut down on caffeine

I have a pretty solid caffeine dependency. How do you feel once you cut it? Do you keep it to a weekend thing? I perform much better teaching in the classroom when I have some coffee in me.

My "cutting down" typically involves Costco Japanese Green Tea (two bags in the morning which lasts throughout the day)... I suppose that's not cutting down at all.

Okay, so I actually quit caffeine recently, so I can actually answer this! :D at first it's going to suck, especially if you have an addiction like I did (terrible withdrawal headaches, ect), so start off slowly by cutting your regular consumption in half, and then after a few days half again until you don't need to drink it anymore. I feel the exact same now drinking no caffeine as I did when I was drinking 2 Monsters every day.

Yes siree.. I did something similar myself and love the results. only for me, I love the taste of coffee, so I've merely switched to decaf.

Now it doesn't taste like regular coffee, but it definitely tastes better than no coffee

7 more replies

8 more replies

I have a hard time waking up in the morning. So I keep temple run on my phone, and as soon as my alarm goes off I play one level. It wakes my brain up.

I would lose that level very quickly

I'm going to try this. I usually end up hitting the snooze button like 4 times before I can finally get out of bed.

1 more reply

Clean needles when I inject black tar heroin.

pro tip

Tell the truth! Just don't lie! Everyone likes people who tell the truth!

And then when people think you are an honest person, you can lie and everyone will still believe you.

This made me laugh so much.

CTRL + F When you are looking for a specific word in your web browser or pdf document or just about anything else, this will find it immeadiately.

This is a life hack?

Blow their mind and drop Ctrl C and Ctrl V on them.

3 more replies

It's not even a pro tip.

Command+F on macs

6 more replies

Turning the soda can tab 180 and sticking a straw through the hole so the straw doesn't rise up.

1 more reply

Walkaround the cobwebs. Not through them. Been caught out too many times

Best fly advice.

VanillaOreo? You must be pretty white for a fly guy

1 more reply

I can't think of why anyone would intentionally walk through a cobweb. Avoiding them is common sense, not a life hack.

22 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

I don't know if this counts, but when I'm drinking water/soda/whatever while driving in the city, I use the force of acceleration when accelerating to bring the beverage to my mouth. That way, I never have to take my eyes off the road, and I don't have to tip the water bottle all the way back.

EDITED: for being a dork and forgetting how physics work.

10 more replies

I eat most fruit with a fork; grapes, orange slices, apple slices, strawberries. Put it in a bowl and eat it while you work like you would a fruit salad.

Sometimes I will put grapes/berries in a glass and "drink" them.

Keeps the hands clean for working.

Sales technique - When calling a company, or someone you want to get through to, don't say "Can I please speak to" or "Is personname in?", quite often gatekeepers/receptionists will look out for this and screen your call.

If your polite, but authoritative, you can often get great results. I often say "Hi this is myname for personname" and leave it there. Most often than not, the gatekeeper puts you through without thinking too much, because they assume you are someone known to the person you want to speak to, due to the way you have asked to be put through, without really asking.

Yeah sure its unethical.

Remembering time is finite and all things pass

23 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

People have a tendency to always go to the right. Its funny how obvious this is once you start to think about it.

When I go to the airport i take the train, and there are two escalators. Theres always a big line of people on the one to the right, and pretty much nobody on the one to the left. Its strange how much of our lives we spend on autopilot.

EDIT: No, the left one also goes up. You can only enter the traintracks on the other side of the airport through a machine where u have to scan your ticket.

The escalators on the left are going down...

If you live in Australia it's the opposite ;)

2 more replies

It's a social convention to go to the right and let people pass you to the left...

Well it's kind of autopilot, but it's also just that that's how you're supposed to do it. You follow the same rules as the road traffic in the country that you're in, because it just makes sense.

5 more replies

I brush my teeth and pee while showering. It actually shaves off a significant amount of time. My entire morning wash routine only takes 10 minutes or less.

2 more replies

This probably won't work for everyone, but I purposely give myself as little time as possible without being stupid about it to get ready in the morning. Which is about 20-30 minutes. Any longer than that and I tend to lose track of time. If I'm feeling rushed I'm going to get ready and out the door more consistently on time. It also doesn't give me the option of hitting that snooze button, and I'm more awake because I'm instantly in go-mode once I hear the alarm, because I know every second counts. Granted I still give myself ten minutes of buffer time to get to work, in case I hit all the red lights or experience something to that effect. I've never been one to want to shower in the morning or eat breakfast that early, so it works out for me. Also waiting until you've been awake a couple hours before having coffee. If you have coffee right when you wake up all you're going to do is build your tolerance. Let your wakefulness promoting factors do the heavy lifting, then supplement with caffiene

Always bring tissue paper

2 more replies

Ctr+Shift+T to restore that tab you accidentally closed

3 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

I don't know if these count as life hacks but they've definitely improved my life a lot.

• Using the Sleep Cycles app as my alarm. No longer wake up super groggy.

• Unsubscribing from all subreddit that didn't provide me a really benefit to reading their content (I'm procrastinating right now, don't judge)

• Disactivate Facebook. I keep in contact tct with those I love via text or calls anyways.

• Unfollow news sources on Reddit and Twitter (let's be honest, you're only reading the headlines and comments anyways.) Less opinion saturating your news consumption will keep you saner and have better opinions.

• Consequently, making news reading a deliberate and mindful activity. Only get the news through news source apps. That way you actually read the articles and don't get 100 opinions while skipping the actual information.

• Delete social media and Reddit apps so that your forced to use them in the browser, and therefore use them less.

• Install content blockers on my phone and laptop that I can activate when I need to block distractions.

• This results in me procrastinating with language learning apps which is actually a good thing. (I recommend pairing Duolingo + Memrise)

• Keep nail clippers and cuticle clippers at my desk. I bite my nails when I get nervous or stressed, so clipping them right away prevents bad hangnails and other associated pains.

I'll edit in more if I remember them.

Instant coffee. For $6 I can buy a jar of Folgers Instant and get 120 cups of coffee. That's 5 cents per cup. I don't give a shit how much better some kind of exotic bean from a cats asshole may taste, it's just plain stupid to pay $3 for a single cup of it.

15 more replies

123 more replies

/r/AskReddit is the place to ask and answer thought-provoking questions.

r/AskReddit Rules
Rule 1 - Questions must be clear and direct
Rule 2 - No personalized advice requests
Rule 3 - Open ended questions only
Rule 4 - No personal info
Rule 5 - No loaded questions
Rule 6 - No questions seeking professional advice
Rule 7 - No begging for goods or services
Rule 8 - No demeaning terms or personal attacks
Rule 9 - No image only replies or large ascii art
Comments in [Serious] posts must be on topic
Ideas for r/AskReddit

Do you have an idea or feedback for r/AskReddit? Submit it to: