What was your most 'can't-put-down' book that you've ever read?

16.9k comments
2.0k points · 1 month ago

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. My dad handed it to me at 9pm saying “I think you’ll like this.” I put it down 400 pages in only because it was now 430 am, and my eyes were glazing over and skipping paragraphs.

I finished it the next day because I couldn’t do anything else until I’d gotten the resolution.

183 points · 1 month ago

I was hoping someone would mention this book! Always a favorite of mine, and I find myself reading it the same way every time. I absolutely HAVE to finish it that night. I feel like I always pick up on new details with every reread

51 more replies

When I was doing my initial read of Watership Down a few years ago.

Who would have thought a story with the cast being almost exclusively rabbits would be such an entertaining read.

Totally got sucked into their world when I was reading.

2.0k points · 1 month ago

Watership down is one of those fantastic books that it's hard to explain why good.

"Its about rabbits. And they have a whole culture and legends about a trickster rabbit. I promise this doesnt suck"

I was asked about the most recent book I’ve read in my interview with college admissions staff. I forgot the name of the book and the interviewer thought I was describing Peter Rabbit.

122 points · 1 month ago

Oh my god that's hilarious.

1 more reply

3 more replies

I have it on my bookshelf but haven't committed to reading it yet because.. It's a pretty decent sized book. About. Rabbits? But maybe now I'll have to give it a go!

It is so good. He creates a whole little world with depth that is kind of surprising. One of my favorite novels of all time.

Bonus fun fact: Stephen King uses a TON of references to Watership Down as well as Richard Adams’ other works, like Shardik and The Plague Dogs. Highly recommend them all.

Oh man, Watership Down is one of my favorites. I got it when I was about sixteen, read it through in one day (on vacation), and then read it again the next day. It was just that good.

But yes, in agreement with the others, the movie was terrifying. I saw it when I was about six and was horrified. The fields are turning red! With blood!

20 more replies

28 more replies

Sweet Jesus the film was traumatising enough!

Honestly? The book is better and less traumatizing (but still surprising) than the movie. I had to do a paper as my last project in college comparing the two and the movie does a lot of stuff for shock value.

16 more replies

17 more replies

One of my very favorite books. Bravery in rabbits, Hazel is one of the bravest characters in a book I've ever read.

9 more replies

103 more replies

We need a bot that will pull out the book names and prioritize them based on the number of recommendations.

Anyone?

2 more replies

Many years ago when I first started working, I didn't have a car and took the underground to work. For a few weeks, I chose "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez to read on the way there, and on the way back.

The last couple of chapters were so captivating, I started reading them one morning on the tube to work, but I just couldn't close the book when I got to my station, so I carried on reading while walking in the station, on the street, in the elevator, in the corridors, then sat down at my desk and carried on reading for the next hour until I had finished the book. I knew I was possessed by the book, but still couldn't let go.

The only other time this has happened to me was a few years later with "Perfume" by Patrick Susskind.

709 points · 1 month ago

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice...”

Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento, el coronel Aureliano Buendía había de recordar aquella tarde remota en que su padre lo llevó a conocer el hielo.

5 more replies

28 more replies

I like your style. Perfume was a great read. I read One Hundred Years Of Solitude in Spanish for my A-level about 12 years ago, and I enjoyed it so much I read it again in English straight after. It was the only non-English book I've read that didn't feel like work translating it (even though it definitely was).

6 more replies

I highly recommend “Chronicles of a Death Foretold” by Marquez for anyone who liked A Hundred Years! It’s a short book and it’s absolutely brilliant.

15 more replies

Love that book. Read it in advanced Spanish literature in college. But goddamn! the redundancy of names and circular narrative were confusing as shit.

José Arcadia Buendía

José Antonio Buendía

Antonio José Buendía

José Aureliano Buendía

Antonio Aureliano Buendía

shrimp salad

shrimp stew

shrimp and potatoes

shrimp sandwich

fried shrimp

shrimp gumbo

... That's... that's about it.

5 more replies

101 more replies

Night Watch by Terry Pratchett.

It's probably the darkest of the Watch set, and is centered around a revolution (Something that always gets my interest.) And it was glorious.

1.4k points · 1 month ago

I wrapped up the Watch books as my Alcoholism was reaching its peak. I think Vimes outlook on drinking helped me sort of break some kind of mental barrier of self-respect where I finally saw myself as this person addicted to alcohol from a third-person perspective. Sober for years now

RIP Pratchett

54 more replies

212 points · 1 month ago

For me it was Thud! and Going Postal. Two of my all time favorite Discworld books. As soon as I got into it I just couldn’t put them down. Certain quotes and lines from Goin Postal still will randomly pop into my head. I love that book.

17 more replies

Night Watch is one of Pratchett's finest. Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably Priced Love, and a Hard-Boiled Egg!

9 more replies

This was my first Discworld book, picked up from the library because the cover was gorgeous, and I stayed up all night reading it. When I realized it was part of a series (and book #28 or so), I was over the moon. I still think it’s an amazing entry point into Discworld because the storytelling is so tight and it has two layers of readability, once when you know nothing of the characters and another, more emotionally incredible, where you DO know them and it’s new again.

6 more replies

Vimes is such a great example of a LG character that is not a nice character.

171 points · 1 month ago

Right? Not nice and boring, but awesome, complex and sympathetic. And Night Watch is a real crucible for him.

1 more reply

What does "LG character" mean here?

Lawful Good, one of the 9 D&D alignments. Simply put, it's a character that does good and believes that a lawful society is the best way for good to exist.

13 more replies

1 more reply

12 more replies

147 more replies

11/22/63 by Stephen King. I started it on a flight to my in-laws over xmas, and basically didn't interact with any of them the whole time until finishing it.

This book made the top comments twice. I'm definitely making it my next read

14 more replies

That’s a win-win. My siblings and I are like that. Enjoying each other’s company while engrossed in books

4 more replies

51 more replies

3.2k points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

A tale of a girl in Nazi Germany. The narrator is Death. Its s phenomenal read. Every time I read it I get sucked in and dont want to do anything

Edit: I apparently like to hit random buttons when I hit post on mobile.

Zusak is an amazing author and a good man. I had him teaching my 7th grade English class before he made it big. Top bloke, top teacher. Gave a shit about his students and content.

7 more replies

I highly recommend I Am The Messenger by the same author!

53 points · 1 month ago

Yes, I actually liked it more than the thief, even though it wasn't recieved as well if I'm not mistaken.

10 more replies

‘I guess humans like to watch a little destruction. Sandcastles, house of cards, that’s where they begin. Their great skill is their capacity to escalate.’

Hair stood up on my arms when I read that. Fantastic read.

I've never cried so much from a book, and I like a good book cry, so that's saying a lot. It's unique in that there's a ton of foreshadowing, so you know what's going to happen all along, and it still hits you so hard, because it's so beautifully written. I love, love, love this book.

I felt the same way. It's not even foreshadowing though; the narrator tells you straight out what is going to happen to the people in the village. But the whole way through you still have glimmers of hope because you come to love them all so much. Fantastic storytelling. I bawled like a baby when I finished it on my lunchbreak at work and my coworkers were so worried about me. In between sobs, I was like, "no...[sniff!]... it's a book... you have to [sniff! sniff!] read it!" And they were all like, "yeah... no thanks...".

5 more replies

10 more replies

69 more replies

16.2k points · 1 month ago

Lee Child, Killing Floor. Page-turner from the first few words. My dad wasn't into reading + would always talk through every flight. I handed it to him at an airport + no one heard from him for like 6 hours.

2.7k points · 1 month ago

All the Jack Reacher books are really good

And here I've been avoiding them like the plague cause I assumed they were generic action airport novels. Am I an idiot? If so, please guide me towards the light.

Child has a very distinct writing style that sets him apart from the likes of James Patterson. The Jack Reacher novels make up a pretty solid, well-written action series. I suggest you check them out (and if you do, either start from the beginning, or do like I did and read The Hard Way first). His climaxes are usually legendary.

67 more replies

The issue is that once you’ve read enough of them you see the pattern and they aren’t enjoyable anymore.

Reacher gets call to action

Reacher meets impossibly attractive and competent female counterpart

Reacher beats people up

Reacher has sex with female counterpart

Reacher solves the mystery usually by killing everyone in the building.

You’re not wrong by any means, but damn those books are good.

I mean I read the first like... fourteen of them hahah

34 more replies

107 more replies

58 more replies

52 more replies

Jack Reacher books are my "long haul flight" reads. Love them.

110 more replies

6.3k points · 1 month ago

Not long after I saw the movie in the theater, I read Jurassic Park in one sitting. It was fucking amazing.

I love Michael Crichton's books. Some of them are genuinely disturbing- but they're all so engaging. And they're all always just ever-so-slightly off reality that you could imagine them actually happening. The original Black Mirror episodes.

440 points · 1 month ago

Andromeda Strain is old but somehow isn’t dated and still scary to think about because it could actually happen.

19 more replies

38 more replies

426 points · 1 month ago

The most badass book reading experience of my life was reading the T-Rex jeep scene in my parents ASTRO Van alone while it was raining. This was just before the movie came out so Spring of 1992 I guess. The rest of the family was watching my sister play soccer and being miserable. Fuck that, I got JP to read! The atmosphere of sitting in a car with dark sky and rain made that chapter fucking amazing.

50 points · 1 month ago

Thank you for that story.

4 more replies

889 points · 1 month ago

Have you read lost world? Equally amazing

747 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Every Chrichton book really, from the great train robbery to his last climate change denial before he passed. All very good. I forgot about rising sun. I think I’m gonna go pull that out.

552 points · 1 month ago

Sphere got me, I stayed up till like 4am finishing it at like 13 years old. The next day sucked.

Sphere was my favorite Crichton book too. The movie was disappointing though.

12 more replies

44 more replies

82 more replies

21 more replies

96 more replies

2.1k points · 1 month ago

Thanks for asking this question, OP! So many new books to look up now.

21 more replies

1.5k points · 1 month ago

Lonesome Dove, and many other Larry McMurtry books.

My grandpa was not a big reader but he loved that book. He must have read it 100 times. I haven't read it yet but he always wanted me to. Maybe I'll pick it up this weekend. I haven't thought about this in so long. Thanks for the reminder!

11 more replies

83 more replies

2.1k points · 1 month ago

Larry Niven's Ringworld. Probably not for everyone but it's like a huge Wikipedia article on physics and deep space turned into a speculative narrative, I was very much addicted haha. Makes you wonder what's out there in the infinite speckled black

171 points · 1 month ago

Love love love Larry Niven. Not just Ringworld, all his short stories, too. His books are well-worn in this house. ;)

17 more replies

133 more replies

9.1k points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

11/22/63 by Stephen King. Read it 3 times.

1.8k points · 1 month ago

One of my favorites. Its an awesome book. I loved the part when Jake meets Richie and Bev.

1.1k points · 1 month ago

Richie and Bev from IT?

Yea, parts of 11/22/63 take place in the same town as the events of IT.

It’s believed that a lot of the events that took place in 11/22/63 are a result of Pennywise distorting the world around it.

872 points · 1 month ago

Stephen King has the best world building for me, his stories are a journey and 11)22)63 is very rewarding when you've read his other books in that sense.

587 points · 1 month ago

Why did you use ) instead of /

Asking the right questions.

1.8k points · 1 month agoGilded1

He didn't. Pennywise is distorting the world around it.

13 more replies

5 more replies

Agreed! I love how his other works are woven into the Dark Tower series. I want to crack open an old favorite, but I have too much to do this weekend and I won't get a thing done once I've started reading. Such is adulthood, sigh.

54 more replies

51 more replies

49 more replies

4 more replies

36 more replies

279 points · 1 month ago

This is the first book that came to mind. I bought the ebook so I had no idea how long it was! I was catching myself sneaking a half of a page at a time at work. Tore right through it. Cried at the end. 10/10 Definitely Would Recommend

13 more replies

175 points · 1 month ago

So freakin good. Read it a few years ago and I still think about it all the time. I've read the majority of King's catalogue and it's definitely in my top 5.

32 more replies

251 more replies

Neverwhere - Neil gaiman

Anything written by Neil Gaiman is on my list of can't put down books. I love his writing so much. I've recently started getting his audio-books because I love hearing him read the stories. I Highly recommend his collection of Norse Mythology, sure they aren't his stories perse, but I love the way he narrates them in the audiobook.

12 more replies

48 more replies

727 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Worm. It is an absolutely spectacular web serial, and is incredibly enjoyable from start to finish. It’s about a teenage girl that gets the power to control bugs after going through the worst moment of her life, after which she exploits the hell out of it. It’s also about the line between heroes and villains, and the argument that the ends justify the means.

It has really good superhero fights, a really good story, really good characters, really good villains and an absolutely spectacular ending. It is fairly long, but every moment is enjoyable, and the best part is that it’s absolutely free, and currently has a sequel being written.

Overall, it is probably one of the best stories I’ve ever read, and it’s available here: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/table-of-contents/

Edit: The parasite that gets implanted in your head once you finish to get you to obsessively recommend Worm to people is very pleased with me right now.

I definitely came here to second this. The first time I picked it up, I pulled an all nighter just to keep reading​. I tried several times to go to sleep and within five minutes, I was back to reading. I couldn't help myself.

I remember doing the whole thing in the space of a fortnight.

I did not get a lot of sleep.

Also:

It is fairly long

is an abject understatement. Worm clocks in at 1,680,000 words, or roughly three copies of War and Peace, or 50% longer than all of Harry Potter put together.

Oh, it's stupidly, absurdly long. I believe Wikipedia clocks it in at 7000 pages. Which is about 2000 pages longer than all of A Song of Ice and Fire (not including Winds of Winter). Though now that I think about it, I guess page count depends on font size, spacing, etc. unless there's some industry standard.

5 more replies

11 more replies

76 more replies

1.1k points · 1 month ago

"Flowers for Algernon" - Daniel Keyes
I couldn't stop crying when I finished reading it.

That book wrecked 15 year old me. Still remember just how profoundly nearly 20 years later.

6 more replies

48 more replies

1.9k points · 1 month ago

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

428 points · 1 month ago

I tore through this in two sittings, max, and then spent the rest of the day reading about Everest. Is it weird that a book about a tragedy like this made me want to become a badass mountain climbing adventurer?

I'm obsessed with climbing, especially Everest/K2 disaster stories, which is weird because I'm scared of heights and hate the cold.

13 more replies

I had that same reaction. I went on a streak of reading all kinds of mountaineering books. It was a weird phase for someone who can barely run, let alone climb anything challenging.

15 more replies

21 more replies

95 more replies

841 points · 1 month ago

Honestly, probably the first book in the Warriors series, Into the Wild

I still try and keep up with it. It was my favourite childhood series and seeing it grow and change is super interesting.

12 more replies

God Bluestar and Yellowfang were my favorites!

6 more replies

I devoured those books as a kid

51 points · 1 month ago

I got that book years ago and loved it, but couldn't get the sequels. Then, in senior year of high school I got the whole series super cheap at a book faire and finished the whole series in approximately a week. I read at home, before bed, while eating, in class... Whenever I could, I read. Loved it.

65 more replies

13.3k points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

The Martian got me out of a reading slump. After not finishing a book for months i read it in 2 days

3.4k points · 1 month ago

I listened to the audio book, and it is perfect. It just sounds like he's doing an audio log instead of a written log.

I usually can't listen to books but this sounds cool. Might be my first audio book ...

Definitely give it a try. In fact, if you PM me, I'll gift it to you from audible. I've listened to about 70 audiobooks in the last few years. I have over an hour commute to work and it makes me less murderous in traffic. I've listened to the Martian twice. RC Bray is so great. I laughed out loud multiple times. Some of the transmission logs get a bit laborious since he reads the time logs, but other than that, I can't recommend it enough.

49 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Audible looks so expensive. I might sign up for the free trial for this book and quit.

Edit: Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I'm going to try the local library this week, NYC seems to have great options.

For 1 credit you can get a lot of value. The credits are $15 for 1/month or ~$11.80 each to buy extras, and the average book is 8-15 hours (plenty are 40-50 hours.) Even if you read a book just once, it’s pretty cost effective as entertainment. Makes all my housework/commute suck a lot less.

11 more replies

33 more replies

35 more replies

242 points · 1 month ago

I also recommend the audiobook. RC Bray does a fantastic job!

7 more replies

73 more replies

50 more replies

290 more replies

Since I haven't seen it listed yet, World War Z was a book I fucking crushed through. It was in the middle of me reading other, "high concept" fiction, and I picked up WWZ as a breather-book. It was so incredibly fun.

Also Clash of Kings and Feast for Crows by GRR Martin.

4 more replies

1.1k points · 1 month ago

Use of Weapons, in the Culture series by Iain M. Banks, thrilling and intriguing all through not to mention the masterful twist ending

Changes, the pivotal twelfth book of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, which just does not stop upping the ante

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett, which is ineffably great (also psyched for the TV adaptation next year)

Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut, which blew my mind as only Kurt can, now I am dead, so it goes

Unnatural History and Year of Intelligent Tigers by Kate Orman, in the Doctor Who EDAs, because Eight and Fitz own my heart

I second Changes. It's not my favorite book of all time, but it was probably the most engaging book I've ever read.

2 more replies

Yes! Good Omens is one of those books I always enthusiastically recommend because 1. two really awesome authors working on a book that is just brilliant and 2. it's one of the funniest and most engaging books I've read in a long time. Plus, the premise is an interesting twist on a concept that most readers will have come across in other books and movies.

14 more replies

125 more replies

Hunt for Red October

31 more replies

Room. Exploring the depths of the bond between mother and son through Jack’s eyes was a heartwarming and beautiful experience, and I read the entire book in one sitting.

I read Room entirely in one sitting as well! I was filling in working at the smallest, slowest library branch you can imagine (one room, one computer) and when I got there I was like "Well, it's going to be a long day, I better pick something to read while I'm here." (this is not typical of library work, for the record.) I went through the shelves and randomly selected Room. I got completely sucked in during my 6 hour shift (I'd had maybe 3 customers total.) and I took it home to finish. When I was home and after I finished the book that evening, I went downstairs to where my Mom was watching the news. It was May 6, 2013 and that was the day the 3 girls in Cleveland were rescued from years of imprisonment by Ariel Castro... Which was basically the real life equivalent to the plot of Room. The book I had just read in one sitting. It was one of the most surreal moments of my life!

13 more replies

That one had me on a rollercoaster. During the escape I was literally on the edge of my seat and I was screaming at Jack and willing him to make all the right decisions. I also had to finish it in one go.

3 more replies

63 more replies

The Shining, I bought this while on spring break in colorado in 2003. I started reading it on the ride home and could not put it down. After I got home I skipped classes the next and read until I could not read anymore due to sleepiness. The next morning I finished it and then continued on with life. I am not that fast of a reader

33 more replies

392 points · 1 month ago

"The most dangerous game."

From what i can remember, its really short. I read it it elementary school. But as someone who always hated reading, it was amazing that i WANTED TO (and did) read it four times.

13 more replies

They aren't exactly high fiction, but R.L. Stine knew how to write a page-turner. I remember burning through Goosebumps books as a kid. The way they were written, each chapter would end on a cliffhanger from start to finish. 10-year-old me couldn't put them down.

189 points · 1 month ago

I am dyslexic and these were the first books I could read from start to finish, that also held my interest. They will forever be credited with starting my love affair with the written word.

75 more replies

My Best Friend’s Exorcism. It’s an amazing mix of The Exorcist, Heathers, and Mean Girls, with an 80s teen movie vibe. It was a staff recommendation from a local book store and I bought it on a whim. I couldn’t put it down and read it in two days.

26 more replies

3.9k points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Mistborn trilogy. I don't have a single complaint about that entire series - I love every character, and I love the world, and I love the story. It's my all time favorite series.

Edit: RIP inbox

I want to get a fluffy big black dog and name him TenSoon.

213 points · 1 month ago

Thats odd. I always pictured TenSoon as being long-haired but sort of greasy slick like an Irish Wolfhound. Strange how I never considered any other look for him and now trying to picture him as fluffy changes his demeanor in my mind. Like fluffy dogs couldn't have the brooding menace of TenSoon.

114 points · 1 month ago

Irish Wolfhound

Exactly how I pictured him as well. Since he's jumping up and down rooftops I imagined he'd have to be lean and scruffy

6 more replies

7 more replies

Mistborn was my gateway series to Sanderson!

Same. A friend recommended the Mistborn series to me after I read The Kingkiller books, and I burned through them. Now I'm on book 2 of the Stormlight Archive.

Stormlight is going to be Sanderson’s WoT once it’s finished. Be sure to read the other Cosmere books, there are a LOT of Easter eggs and crossovers.

38 more replies

42 more replies

11 more replies

318 points · 1 month ago

I second this. Read all 3 books in 3 weeks last summer.

183 points · 1 month ago

Read the Wax & Wayne books too!

182 points · 1 month ago

They are very different in style though. One is "we must save THE WHOLE WORLD!" the other is a western/detective story. Both great though.

17 more replies

19 more replies

That last avalanche of things in the last book...Oh man! Firmly cemented the series as my brother's favorite books, and definitely rank for me (maybe if Stormlight wasn't a thing). Then you reread them all and you think "that sly dog didn't even attempt to hide anything, he just didn't explain any of it!" which is par for the course for him now that I read more of his stuff.

87 points · 1 month ago

I have 200 pages left in Oathbringer and I’m just sad I have to wait for two more books after this

Stormlight is going to be 10 books, you know.

56 points · 1 month ago

True, but it's going to be two five-book arcs with a time jump between, so book five will be a sort of "soft ending."

8 more replies

5 more replies

23 more replies

3 more replies

246 more replies

1.1k points · 1 month ago

A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson. When you get the conclusion to a 14 part series that you grew up with, and might never have gotten since the author passed before it could be finished, it's hard to do anything but read it. And damn was it incredible.

267 points · 1 month ago

I’ve been debating on starting the Wheel of Time series for years but haven’t gotten around to it. Does Brandon Sanderson’s contribution to the series mesh well with the rest or is it a noticeably different style?

428 points · 1 month ago

It is a little different, but not jarringly so. Most agree that he did an excellent job finishing the series out and I thought he did a really nice job with the last battle. He was chosen by the author's widow, and the author, knowing he was dying, did write extensive notes and a few key scenes.

WoT is kind of crazy, but it is unique in it's size and ambition. I really liked it, myself.

103 points · 1 month ago

To add on to this, there's a bit once Sanderson took over that Jordan had left barely any notes for. As a result, Sanderson didn't try to write it, since (paraphrasing) he considered that would be making his own stuff up, instead of just adapting Jordan's notes to prose. (It's also not something missing storywise; I didn't realise it was "missing" until after I'd finished the books and saw the quote.) When I saw that I had a lot of respect for him doing the adaptation, not making it his own thing and being as faithful as possible.

9 more replies

28 more replies

112 points · 1 month ago

He did the best he could do in that situation. There are a few scenes that RJ wrote that BS had to write around and most couldn't tell the difference. That's a testament to BS writing. Overall, I was really happy with what he did. I still reread the series every year lol.

22 more replies

88 more replies

85 more replies

459 points · 1 month ago

Surprisingly, the Hobbit! I have read it over and over again and it never gets old, the ending gets me every damn time... it is probably the most satisfying ending I have ever read.

22 more replies

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, I put off reading it for years even though I'd heard so many good things about it because I was worried it wouldn't live up to expectation - I've never been so sad to have to finish a book..

32 more replies

1.2k points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Red Rising by Pierce Brown

Edit: Sorry I couldn't reply...had to go wank off in the bushes :)

In my opinion, another great book would be Blood Song by Anthony Ryan (readers of Red Rising may be familiar with its setting owing to the same principle of survival amidst great odds albeit in a more medieval setting with a penchant for the incorporation of 'magic' or the Dark as it is referred to in the book)

Golden Son for me. I read the first book in about a week, the second in about 2 days, and then ranted to my roommate about the cliffhanger ending for another day.

I listed to this on audiobook, and I literally shouted “what the fuck!!!” When I got to that cliffhanger.

I didn’t get my next audible credit for two days. My anxiety was terrible for those two days.

13 more replies

YES ANOTHER ONE! Golden Son was absolutely amazing once you get to the Gala and the cliffhanger...

One of the largest upsides is the depth characters are written, to the point you can sympathise with the villains like Cassius, Adrius, and Nero.

12 more replies

89 more replies

Ender’s Game was the only book I’ve ever read in a single sit-down. I devoured it.

871 points · 1 month ago

While I loved Enders Game it was Speaker for the Dead that I could not put down. Rarely do we get to see what happens to Great characters later in life and Ender had some serious issues to overcome.

Personally I found Xenocide and Children of the Mind riveting as well.

104 points · 1 month ago

Yeah they get a bad rap, but I really liked them as well. Speaker for the Dead is still my favorite, but the whole series was great.

4 more replies

56 more replies

41 more replies

definitely recommend Ender's shadow, it tells Bean's story and is a similar feel to ender's game.

I think I actually liked Ender's Shadow better. Bean was such an interesting character.

I loved Ender's Shadow. But I still like Ender's Game better. I like Ender's character- how he thinks and plans. I love Bean, but Ender fascinates me.

58 more replies

20 more replies

25 more replies

127 more replies

3.6k points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Stephen King's 'The Stand'. I read the unabridged version with everything that got taken out put back in. It's a long book, but I recommend it heavily.

Edit: Yo, this is by far the most upvotes I've ever heard. Y'all are beautiful

180 points · 1 month ago

LAWS YES

M-o-o-n, that spells Nebraska!

1 more reply

740 points · 1 month ago

Definitely. I would add Salem’s Lot and The Shining as well. I read all three in a row in relatively short time (as short as can be expected for those books).

233 points · 1 month ago

Salem’s lot was my first King book, now I’m hooked!

May I recommend The Dead Zone? My personal favorite. Rather a short story for King, but so good.

30 more replies

16 more replies

50 more replies

Ah, I knew I'd find this near the top. I'm 6 decades into life and still have this book at #1.

4 more replies

A group of survivors traveling cross country in post apocalyptic America has never been captured in such satisfying detail as The Stand. Throw in all the weird occult bits and I was sold. Read the entire book on a stool at an old high school job. Didn't even mind the back pain.

13 more replies

198 more replies

120 points · 1 month ago

I work in book publishing and it’s made my day to see so many books my company publishes on this list. Especially a couple of more obscure ones—“that book sold 12k copies! How the fuck do they know about that?”.

It’s hard to recommend books to people I work with because everyone has read everything. My go-to is usually The Gargoyle for fiction because it’s less well known. It’s a contemporary novel with lots of magical realism mixed in and has the best description of what it’s like to be a burn victim that I’ve ever read.

Things I’ve Learned From Dying, by death row lawyer David Dow is the most profound book I’ve read.

17 more replies

I really enjoyed Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Slow start, but a great, engaging read.

139 more replies

The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Damn that book got me turnin’ the page at 4am

I felt like the man and the boy would die if I stopped reading, so I just kept going.

12 more replies

128 more replies

Animal Farm. Not a long book but I absolutely ploughed through it, started reading it when I went to bed and stayed up until I was finished.

ploughed

Nice one.

13 more replies

2.2k points · 1 month ago

Aside from Harry Potter and Name of the Wind series, I remember literally not being able to go to sleep because I could not stop reading The Time Traveller's Wife.

1.5k points · 1 month ago

The first 3 HP books were released when my mom recommended them to me.

First one was "yeah this is something I'd read".

Second was "I really quite like this series".

Third was "What do you mean I have to wait 5 months for the next installment??"

From the 4th on I went to every midnight release and didn't go to sleep until the book was done. I'd get just a mug of tea and hammer at the adventure. And I won't ever forget the hours everyone spent micro analyzing, theorizing and defending theories they came up with (some were dead on, some were close, and some were more out there than Luna Lovegood). The final installment...wow was that a roller coaster of emotions.

I remember that. I was 13 when I started reading HP, and the first three books were out. I was in love, immediately. The third book was, and still is, my favorite. I could read it again and again and not get tired of that story.

I remember all the midnight release parties for the next 3 books (I was in college by the 7th, bought it online). Our small book store would decorate the whole store front and everyone would stand there staring at the boxes of books just waiting for midnight. It was so fun.

12 more replies

I have read the whole series at least 10 times through by now, but I wish I could have experienced this, I didn't start reading HP until the 7th was coming out. Still my favorite story of all time.

No you don't lol, waiting over a year or two in between books was hell for the first couple of weeks, then you sort of forgot about it, then suddenly your only a couple of months from the next release and you reread the whole series and then another whole month of hype hell...

8 more replies

6 more replies

65 more replies

226 points · 1 month ago

Time Traveller’s Wife! I remember going to work about halfway through that book and thinking about it all day, till I could get home to finish it.

8 more replies

172 more replies

Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. Its the most bat-shit memior I've ever read and his writing style is amazing

12 more replies

319 points · 1 month ago

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.

Won it at an environmental conference in high school and absolutely loved it. He made things easy to understand and interesting.

29 more replies

237 points · 1 month ago

This is kinda nerdy but What Language Is: And What It Isn't and What It Could Be by John McWhorter. If you like non-fiction and have an interest in linguistics this is a great read.

27 more replies

438 points · 1 month ago

"The Passage," By Justin Cronin.

A very well written take on the apocalypse.

He has an amazing way of developing characters and just getting lost on these amazing tangents that lead you somewhere completely different multiple times, yet always have a way of making sense in the end.

They are actually making a movie series about it and it was one of the best bits of apocalyptic horror, and just general story telling in general I've ever read.

I've I've read probably hundreds of books as I prefer it over TV.

64 more replies

436 points · 1 month ago

I highly recommend The Little Prince, it is really short, but it is worth reading, it is like 70 pages, but it is a true masterpiece.

48 points · 1 month ago

One of my favorite reads and I can't emphasize more about the chapter with the Fox.

3 more replies

18 more replies

Gone Girl. A bit of a slow start, but once it gets going...

579 points · 1 month ago

I read Sharp Objects after finding out its being made into a miniseries. Would highly recommend in case you haven't read it yet.

I think Dark Places is her best book.

Dark places is fucked up

3 more replies

24 more replies

26 more replies

53 more replies

Lamb: The Story of Christ’s Childhood as told by Biff, his childhood pal by Christopher Moore.

It’s such a lighthearted take on the parts of Jesus’ life that wasn’t in the Bible.

12 more replies

328 points · 1 month ago

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

11 more replies

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.

There's some brilliant storytelling here, a very intense read at times (not gonna lie).

It will keep you interested, you will find yourself empathizing with the characters, you will cry, and possibly will want to throw the book across the room once it's finished.

933 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

A Thousand Splendid Suns was phenomenal, heart-wrenching and eye-opening too.

That's one of the hardest cries I've ever had reading a book. Really beautiful story. I definitely prefer it to Kite Runner.

Dang I’ve had this book for years but haven’t read it yet. Guess I have something to do this week

5 more replies

27 more replies

We read that book in high school, and the day before we were supposed to take a quiz we read THAT scene which almost made me puke. The next day my class was so freaked my teacher cancelled the quiz and we talked about it.

11 more replies

I did throw the book against the wall...lol

After certain passages, I also had to cool off for a day or two before I could resume reading. It was literally THAT intense.

That book effin' tore me up.

13 more replies

360 points · 1 month ago

there is only one sin, only one. And that is theft. Every other sin is a variation of theft. When you kill a man, you steal a life... you steal his wife's right to a husband, rob his children of a father. When you tell a lie, you steal someone's right to the truth. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness... there is no act more wretched than stealing.

5 more replies

66 more replies

Either Dune by Frank Herbert or the World War series by Harry Turtledove. Both great series for totally different reasons.

46 more replies

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and the rest of the series.

52 more replies

247 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

The Red Rising Trilogy by Pierce Brown, dystopian science fiction about a society divided by colours, Golden being the highest and Red the lowest in rank. It tells the story of Darrow, a Red man who is recruited by a rebel organisation (after his wife is executed) to infiltrate the ranks of the Golden and overthrow the government from within. Really well written and detailed.

14 more replies

Clan of the Cave Bear, and the rest of the Earth's Children series.

2 more replies

All Quiet On The Western Front.

When I was in my late teens, my best friend was killed in an accident. After all the funeral and initial grieving, I was still in that period where every minute is a perpetually-running rumination on mortality/life/absurdity/meaning, etc, in your head.

I did some house-sitting for some friends who travelled overseas and happened to come across All Quiet On The Western Front on their bookshelves, which I hadn't read at the time. So, I picked it up...

... Goddamn, did that book end up feeling significant right then. I've never forgotten the mental imagery from it.

1 more reply

168 points · 1 month ago

Timeline by Michael Crichton kept me up until about 3am because I just had to know what happened. The pacing in that book is superb

17 more replies

Perks of Being a Wallflower.

I first read it when I was more introverted and kept to myself. I took a lot away from this book that I keep in perspective for my life to this day. Love it each read!

2 more replies

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August is a must-read IMO. (It's about a guy who is somewhat immortal, if that makes any sense, but definitely give it a shot, it's so interesting)

28 more replies

IT by Stephen King

7 more replies

The Golden Compass, and by extension the whole series. I want to read it again, but I don't want to feel that emotional hurt from book 3 again.

Honest to goodness, the part that really kills me after multiple rereads isn't the split at the end of AS, but the death of Hester and Lee.

7 more replies

40 more replies

243 points · 1 month ago

To kill a mockingbird, just couldn't stop and read it in an afternoon

9 more replies

322 points · 1 month ago

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami.

53 more replies

282 points · 1 month ago

Third book on the A song of ice and fire series (sorry, dont know it's name in English since I read it In portuguese at the time).

That was my first time reading something where the author deliberately killed characters on the "main plot" so and that book is just action over action over even more action. I remember reading until 4AM when I had to be up at 6 but I couldn't stop.

A Storm of Swords! When I first read A Game of Thrones, I read it in 2 nights. That was in '99 and I've re-read the series every time a new book comes out. So its been a while -_____-

There's only ow many time you can reread them before you are ready to start camping outside of GRRM house and then stalking him everywhere he goes.

3 more replies

1 more reply

17 more replies

The Gunslingers. Dark Tower Series #1.

By far not the best of the series but I finished it in 6 hours after not reading for pleasure for at least a decade. That jump started me devouring books, again, I’ve now been reading constantly for over a year now and it’s GREAT.

The man in black fled through the desert, and the gunslinger followed. Got goosebumps just typing it out. Such an amazing series.

7 more replies

28 more replies

The Handmaid's Tale

I couldn't put it down. When the show came out, I was ready to be disappointed but it's actually really good!

33 more replies

169 points · 1 month ago

Asimov Foundation saga

13 more replies

Flowers for Algernon, by Daniel Keyes

27 more replies

10,273 more replies

/r/AskReddit is the place to ask and answer thought-provoking questions.

r/AskReddit Rules
Rule 1 - Questions must be clear and direct
Rule 2 - No personalized advice requests
Rule 3 - Open ended questions only
Rule 4 - No personal info
Rule 5 - No loaded questions
Rule 6 - No questions seeking professional advice
Rule 7 - No begging for goods or services
Rule 8 - No demeaning terms or personal attacks
Rule 9 - No image only replies or large ascii art
Comments in [Serious] posts must be on topic