Atlanta [Post Discussion] - S02E08 - Woods

I CAN WALK HO

4 more replies

He should've just taken an Uber.

In last week's episode I was wondering why Van and her friends didn't take an Uber home when she left the party.

Uber on New Years in Atlanta = Crazy Expensive

I can guess it’d probably be 40/50 dollars for like a 5 mike ride until noon.

No one should have to ride Mike just to get a lift, that’s gross.

1 more reply

I guess there is no Uber in the Atlanta universe. We’re talking about a show where Justin Bieber is black, celebrities drive invisible cars, and Michael Vick waits outside clubs to race people for money. We probably shouldn’t ask questions.

Uber was in the the last season finale tho

Earn and Van also took an UberBlack, I think, after the movie theater profiled him.

5 more replies

4 more replies

Original Poster1.0k points · 4 months ago

Brian Tyree Henry is a great actor, he killed it this episode. Getting a pedicure, him fighting off his attackers, getting lost in the woods and taking a selfie with a kid in the convenience store.

When his eyes started welling up and that single tear rolled down his cheek that was just crazy good acting. Him hiding in the ditch was good too. Like I was actually fearful for his life at points

Original Poster396 points · 4 months ago

So good. Earn and Darius get a lot of love but Al is the true star of the show imo.

He gets screwed over all the time.
The club The barbershop The woods The charity basketball game

And that’s just the ones I can think of

The irony there... But I agree.

It’s funny how we’re on a four episode run without Earn. Haven’t heard much from him since Helen. Looking forward to the pajama party panty raid or whatever the fuck is going on in ep 9.

What I love about this show is without focusing on characters, we get a small glimpse into what they are up to. For example, last week in the episode, "Champagne Papi," we saw on via Vans phone that he's hanging out with another girl. Which means, based off of the conversation that they had in the episode "Helen," he appears to truly want to keep things the way they've been. And Van is not doing well with that decision. That is one of the things I really love about this show. With incredible simplicity, they speak in volumes.

2 more replies

That robbing scene had me on my toes like the opening scene of season two. Holy shit.

4 more replies

1.2k points · 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

This was a very good episode.

Siera was used to plant the seeds of doubt into Al's mind about "keeping it real." Siera is the poster child for an Instagram celebrity and doesn't mind "playing the game" to get far, because she wants the fame and fortune.

Al couldn't care less. He doesn't like being approached by fans, taking pictures, or really using social media. He might want fame, but he wants it without compromising who he is. He doesn't stand out with his attire and gives off the perception that he just wants to be like everyone else. Because of that, nobody is afraid to rob him (twice so far this season).

The woods were used to show where "keeping it real" has got Al: Absolutely nowhere.

I don't think the old man was real. It was his conscience after being affected by what Siera was saying. The old man gave him an ultimatum: Either make a move and get out of these woods, or stay here with me and get robbed of everything.

The last scene signals Al basically deciding that maybe he shouldn't keep it real anymore. Looking his absolute worse with a swollen face and bloody lips, he poses for pictures with a white kid, which pretty much personifies the audience of selling out.

It'll be interesting to see what episode this is continued in, but it seems like Al is ready to sell out and follow Siera's advice, which may mean that Earn won't be his manager for much longer.

"When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong"

NO GRANNY DON’T!

Sounds like he needs to take his own advice. Start acting better than other niggas or else they just gon treat you like another nigga.

That's deep, man.

242 points · 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

but how more real can being bloodied and beat up actually be?

great points though.

I think that's the difference.

When the guy approached him in the gas station, all he wanted was a picture with a rapper he knows. When the three dudes approached him in the streets, all they wanted was to rob a rapper they know.

Al's intended audience doesn't respect him for keeping it real, but the audience that he doesn't want respects him for keeping it real.

got u got u. i agree. i guess i’m confused with the line of logic in ur orginal comment that leads to alfred deciding not to be real by taking a picture with the white kid, only because he’s in his realest possible state while he takes the picture.

is his acceptance/submission of fame in the moment he takes the pics the same as selling out or forgoing his realness? i feel like that’s a question that may still be put in context as the rest of the season pans out.

To me, it matched what the guy in the woods said. He told him to make a move to get out of there or he was going to rob him of everything else he had left.

I feel like you're right on everything here except the idea that at the end, Al wasn't 'keeping it real' and was 'selling out' (I realize you may not have intended to directly make the claim that Al was selling out). I think how Al acts from here on out will put that last scene into proper context like u/copernicuslanding said. I'm hoping he will learn to understand that 'real' is a misunderstood concept, and that his reluctance to be anything but that is what is holding him back. Hopefully, he is liberated from the idea that how you're perceived by your audience doesn't determine how real you actually are.

3 more replies

I took that as the same. He’s ready to be real on social media. Whereas when Sierra takes the pic in the nail shop, while a real moment, he didn’t want that out there.

I reckon the Sierra photo was manufactured, he took offence that she was going to take without asking and use it to boost her profile.

The white kid was genuinely stoked to see him and he gave him the gift of a photo. He kinda looked genuinely stoked with it. Rather than selling out, it was just being good to his fans.

1 more reply

I agree with everything but disagree with your view on how he perceives or will perceive Earn.

Earn has been doing his best to get him work as seen in many past episodes and the phone call at the start of this one. If that phone call wasn't a reminder to those watching that Earn both cares for him personally (Checking to see if hes okay on the anniversary of his mothers death) and to remind him to sign paperwork (to move his career forward) then y'all are wilfully ignoring what you are being shown.

Think back to the charity game and Earn and PB's story-lines throughout that episode.

Also remember when PB was talking to Earns father about Earn. He was told that earn would do things his own way in his own time. That's somebody who lives by their own rules, who keeps it real.

This whole episode was about depression and being stubbornly stuck in the past unable to move forward, going in circles and getting nowhere. PB is the one sabotaging his own future by 'keeping it real' but he has a reason for that, one that many of us would find hard to control.

At least that's how I see it. All I can say with any certainty is that I'm hooked and looking forward to the rest of the season.

Yoooooooo wait I didn't catch the anniversary of his mother's death part this just took it to a whole new level

1 more reply

For the most part I agree with you. However, I did wonder what that paperwork was for. Was it truly for PB's benefit or was it something for Earn? Was it a deal that Earn wanted him to do (like that one at the Hipster place)? Was it paperwork or court stuff that he needed help with?

As for Al's view on Earn as his manager...when Al was in the clothing store with Sierra he shook his head and said how it wasn't Earn's style to seek sponsorships/freebies. I found that scene subtly touching. He wasn't mad at Earn, just understanding and acknowledging his cousin's way of doing things. It's reflective not only of Earn, but of Al in my opinion. Other artist's might've gotten angry and rightous about how they were missing out. Whereas Al seems indifferent.

Comment deleted3 months ago(2 children)

I didn't catch it myself. Others in this thread attribute it to how in the beginning of the episode Al was sleeping/daydreaming about his mom. When he wakes up, she's not there anymore. It was just his memory of her being around the house and talking to him. Both Earn and Darius ask him if he's alright.

1 more reply

It could go that way, or Al might have realized that he's not cooperating with Earn, who is not trying to rob him or scam him.

I think he puts up with Earn because Earn will 100% let him be who he is. But, that's kind of the problem with his career right now. Al wants to be industry, but doesn't want to be industry.

He resists Earn all the time when Earn tries to advance him. Look how grumpy he was when Earn simply asked him to sign some papers he was procrastinating on.

Yep, Paper Boi doesn't want what comes with the industry/fame. He wants to have a hit record and sleep on the couch until noon in the same neighborhood. The preview for this epsiode read "Wealth is the reason for Paper Boi's attitude" and it did a great job of explaining it.

I mean that’s kinda the dream isn’t it? Wealth and comfort, I feel for paper boi

Yeah he's got a shit attitude. I binged up to last week and noticed this. Earn tries to get him better gigs but he won't do his part.

I think this episode kind of explained why. There was a very subtle line drawn between Al's lack of drive and his grief. I hope now he's turning the corner. This episode was soooo dark. It really touched a nerve for me, way more even than Teddy Perkins. I hope this is the darkness before the dawn for Paper Boi.

6 more replies

Al walking alone with his bling is exactly like Earn dressing all nice at clubs from a few episodes ago. You are not intimidating people, youre making yourself a target.

29 more replies

The ep was dedicated to Willow Dean Kearse-- Brian Tyree Henry's mom, who died a year ago in May. This episode was totally about Paper Boi's depression about losing his mom, super subtle. Wow.

FUCK. I was furiously googling to try and figure out who Kearse was. That's intense..

There was a commercial before the episode ended. It featured Brian Tyree Henry (Paper Boi) talking about how he wanted to spend his money on his mother, when he becomes an actor. However, his mother died last year and he learned how he needs to be proud of himself for what he accomplished.

Oh man, I didn't see that, and I was watching the live broadcast. Any idea where I can watch it?

This was the commercial that aired. Pretty heartbreaking considering the nature of the episode

That's "Hey Mama" at the Grammys level of heart breaking.

Oh my god, that made me have all the feelings. Damn. I hope he gets an Emmy so he can dedicate it to his mom. This episode was amazing, and the more I figure out about it, the more I love it.

3 more replies

Has his mum passed away in the show too?

In the series premiere Al says ro Earn that Earn hadn't spoken to him since his mom's funeral.

Ah thanks, couldn't remember

Another Redditor remembered. I love how this episode seemed to be about fame but really... it's about grief and depression. But you really had to read between the lines.

My first thought was, "Damn, Al is really depressed." It really informs his demeanor throughout the whole series. And feeling stuck or trapped is about simplest definition of depression out there. This episode hit me hard.

It could be about both

2 more replies

On rewatch, the scary man in the woods is ABSOLUTELY humming the same song as Al's mother was humming in the beginning. What that proves IDK, but my working theory is that this was the anniversary of Al's mom's death. Hence Earn calling to say, "Are you OK?" and the text "Thinking about you today <3"

Good call about it being the anniversary! I suppose if they are humming the same tune that lends to the evidence the man was in Alfreds heads after all?

In his head, and possibly his father.

that's what I was thinking. I feel like that person was his father who either got put away or had some issues and lost custody of his kid(Al). The chap stick thing was him trying to make up for it, in Al's mind, for the time he missed taking care of his kid.

7 more replies

So many great shots in this episode. The shot of Al’s feet running through the woods and then finally reaching pavement was perfect.

The overhead shot of the forest was dope

Very kubrick/ shining shot

4 more replies

1.1k points · 4 months ago

Remember when this show was funny instead of TERRIFYING?

Original Poster311 points · 4 months ago

This season has been some next level tv

S1 Comedy

S2 Horror

S3 ???

Science fiction

ATLiens

4 more replies

5 more replies

536 points · 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

It’s like that season of Louie that wasn’t funny at all. Season 5, I think?

Edit: am I really getting downvotes for mentioning Louie? Let’s not pretend like his show wasn’t the poster boy for FX two years ago, and or, a pioneer for making comedy more than just laughs but surrealism as well. To say his show didn’t open doors for comedy we have today would be complete bullshit.

you shouldnt get any hate for this. sure louis ck did some fuck shit but the show really blended comedy and surrealism unlike shows before it

Also let's be real here, Louis CK is really talented, that doesn't make what he did any less disgusting, but to imply that dude isn't one of the best comedians around is just dishonest.

And it's pretty obvious that shows like Atlanta and Master of None wouldn't exist without Louie.

Also Maron. And Horace and Pete, Better Things and Baskets, all great show, wouldn't exist without Louis.

3 more replies

Yeah that’s obnoxious. Just because Louis CK is a creep doesn’t mean he didn’t produce good work.

2 more replies

I would argue that if you wanted something comparable to Atlanta in recent times it would have to be Louie. Creep or not Louis CK made a masterful TV show where you had the surreal depressing moments as well as the comedy. I'd argue that the success of Louie has allowed FX to be willing to let Gambino and co go down that road with this show.

21 more replies

The show has felt incredibly heavy to me this season. Especially the last 3 episodes.

6 more replies

I know Donald said he was half-joking when he said this, but that shit really was "Twin Peaks with rappers."

A lot of the shots they used look very influenced by The Return, specifically Part 14 and Jack Rabbit's Palace. I love this shit so much.

yeah man i see a lot of influence from the return this season

1 more reply

between Atlanta and Legion, the Twin Peaks void is overflowing, in the best way possible.

5 more replies

lakeith tweeted "black twin peaks" earlier this week

The dude in the forest could totally be in a David Lynch film/TV show.

1 more reply

I was just waiting to see some owls in this episode

11 more replies

464 points · 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

I liked that wholesome ending. First time we've seen Alfred be okay with some shit he has to do because he's famous. Cheesin with the bloody mouth too. Not everything about "selling out" is bad.

It's also important to realize that Al was telling the kid to take multiple pictures and was making sure the kid got his bloody teeth.

He was worried about being seen as "not real" if Sierra posted that picture of him in the salon, so he wanted to make sure there was another picture out there to counter that.

Agreed. It seemed very intentional of Al to make sure his roughed up and bloodied appearance was captured so that people could see. However, I didn't think of this as a moment when Al changes. Actually, this scene reminds us that Al was always putting on a show for others.

"Keeping it real" is his brand to the public but it is largely performed. Al has to keep affirming to his fans that he's real by acting out the stereotype of the macho OG rapper, otherwise he would lose his following.

5 more replies

I think that ending was great because that’s the first fan who kept it real with Al. He didn’t freak out and definitely didn’t ask to be “put on”. He didn’t even ask for the picture. That was the first real fan Al encountered.

376 points · 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

that’s the first fan who kept it real with Al

I don't know, man. Those 3 robbers been listening to Paper Boi from the start. Then they met their idol and still stayed true to themselves by robbing him. That's real.

I probably would have geeked out and done something stupid like not robbing him smh

Those 3 robbers been listening to Paper Boi from the start.

So they say anyway. Probably a stretch to say that he's their idol.

Most of the fan interactions Al has had thus far have been someone gushing "oh you're Paperboi!" and then quickly followed with wanting something from him (to be "put on," or in this case his watch and chain). I think the scene with the white kid is no different, the kid still wanted something from Al, something that like all the others he was unwilling to give. But the growth in this episode was that if people are going to take from him anyway he may as well control what it is.

At least that's my read. I'd like to think that it was a warm interaction with a fan, and Al realizing that fame isn't all bad or maybe that he's learning to accept love from new places, but my guess is that it's more cynical than that.

I felt like those kids were being fake as fuck. "Oh Paper Boi! We have been fans from the start!" GUN IN FACE. Their dialogue leading up to the robbery was stilted and Al clearly felt awkward. They were looking for someone to rob and "got lucky."

The kid in the gas station was probably a breath of fresh air. After being lost for hours, hurt, scared, threatened with death multiple times, being recognized by an innocent person with no ill intent might actually feel good.

"I am still me. I am still alive."

Yeah, that was just a stick up to get him to drop his guard. After all, it's robbin' season.

Yeah I agree with everything you just said. I was just making a joke lol

But yeah seems like Paper Boi has had enough of keeping it real. Earn better start making some major power moves because his job doesn't look too secure at the moment.

3 more replies

Gratitude doesn't mean you can't be real. I liked the ending too

8 more replies

“I’m serious man I’m gonna put my foot up in this”

actually puts his foot up

Darius is a man on his word

Darius' fire ass pasta recipe

Step 1: Put your foot up in that bitch.

Absolutely the most hilarious part of the episode. I lost it has he said it... the lack of expectation that he'd actually, "put his foot up in that" made my reaction 3x more intense as it happened.

1 more reply

Do not eat things that Darius has prepared.

I bet his pasta is amazing, but with weird ingredients. I noticed he is often cooking. In the season premiere, he offers Earn a slider and says, "Be careful. It's very cold."

First time we see his character is literally him cooking. He made cookies

1 more reply

I say he's my dream man but shit he can't cook

2 more replies

Damn, Atlanta gone straight-up horror this season...

Definitely full on twin peaks

Alfred crying made me tear up a little bit. Brian is an amazing actor man.

Me too. I had sympathy pains this entire episode (including in the nail place lol)

I was getting heated watching her yell at the salon workers. They probably were talking shit, but they should, she's such a bitch lol.

I hate when people abuse service workers like that. It's embarrassing. Sierra was definitely an OTT caricature.

Idk about that. I've met people like her.

15 more replies

8 more replies

1 more reply

Comment deleted4 months ago(2 children)

348 points · 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

That shot where Al breaks down after escaping the woods was excellent.

Every one of these solo episodes has been a mini masterpiece. They haven't been shown as a group really since the strip club, and we haven't seen Earn since Fastnacht (edit: really quick in the car in Teddy)...and it's just gotten weirder (and scarier) but also somehow better.

This is an incredible season of television we're witnessing.

Earn was in the back seat during Teddy Perkins. He was also on Van's Insta feed last week. Glimpses.

I like that the show is unfolding in a way that kind of diminishes the importance of his character. This entire cast is amazing and I’m glad we’ve gotten to know everyone a little better this season.

Yeah, the way this season is unfolding is very interesting. They've been making Earn a pretty unsympathetic character for a while now. The last impression (biggest plot point) of Earn was pretty bad and that was like 3 episodes ago. We've basically been stewing in a bad light of Earn for a long time.

Things are leading to Earn getting fired this season finale and I feel like they're trying to make the audience feel like "Should they even care?"

2 more replies

Intended or not that glitch made that countdown all the more intense. I want to see the uncut version if there is one

Original Poster51 points · 4 months ago

For real, I was watching so intently when that happened and it scared me with how jarring it was lol

3 more replies

"Taking pictures steals a part of your soul."

Photographer here: :(

You mean SoulCollector

139 points · 4 months ago · edited 3 months ago

Wow this show is really amazing. I'm glad we got a good look into PaperBoi's character and how fame has affected his lifestyle.

Earn getting fired is inevitable at this point. I just wonder where it goes from there.

Edit: changed effected to affected

7 more replies

What Al needs to realize is that he is not a part of the community anymore the way he still wants to be. Hes an Other now and tool for other people in the hood who think he is loaded and making bank. They are still struggling like normal people and when they see him all they really see is dollar signs, their late light bill being payed, gas for their car. These people are not his homies, they do not give a shit about him and they will keep robbing him until he starts moving different. Its time to get a bodyguard or something.

I know he doesnt want that kind of stuff because he doesnt want people to think hes a sell out but what was the point of him ever becoming a rapper in the first place? We never really got the back story on how it all started. Who chases a music career just to still be in the hood getting shot at? I thought the point was to make it big, go somewhere better and safer, and live.

This honestly reminded me of a Noisy (Viceland) episode where the guy said he kept getting robbed and had to move after getting ambushed and shot. Price of fame is being robbed of your home.

5 more replies

Paper Boi and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Someone made the same reference for Darius after Teddy Perkins and it still applies lol

It kind of works for every episode this season. Earn trying to spend money, the horrible Helen German fiasco, the barbershop day, the Drake party. The whole season is just a series of really bad days for the characters.

Cool and all, but I'd love to have some 'win' episodes to go along with constantly abusing the characters.

1 more reply

This was honestly probably my favorite episode of the season. Shit was deep. I hvaen't felt that anxious watching a TV show in a long time. Probably ever.

I mean Teddy Perkins was only two weeks ago.

LOL that is true. Very true. I liked this episode better but yeah, Teddy gave me that anxiety too.

1 more reply

My favorite of the season so far too, that breakdown scene where he tears up was amazing

412 points · 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

That homeless man was definitely a figment of his imagination. Al was humming the same gospel tune at the end that the homeless guy was humming in the woods.

Was the part with his mother happening in his imagination too? I can't remember if she's alive in the show or not. The way she was just gone made me think he'd imagined her. Plus the guy in the woods mentioned her too.

“Nigga i aint seen or heard from you since my mom’s funeral” - Al in the pilot

Yea it seemed like people were calling and texting him throughout the show checking on him because it was the anniversary of his mom’s death.

oooooooooooooooooooohhhhhh

1 more reply

That actually makes a lot of sense now

How do we know it was the anniversary of her death?

Y'ALL ARE BLOWING MY MIIIIIND

1 more reply

Holy shit. Thanks for finding that.

Word, that's the piece of evidence I was looking for! YES. Theory confirmed.

Yoooo!!!!!!!

1 more reply

Yeah, so she's humming at the end of her scene, bathed in light. That part of the room gets darker as the phone vibrates. It's Earn. Al looks over to the place where his mom was. It's dark over there now. The homeless man is humming that same song.

It's the one year anniversary of Al's mom's death. Calling it now.

You're right. The first thing Earn asked him was if he was ok....and that would explain why PaperBoi is always mad every episode. He's fighting depression.

228 points · 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

Darius also asks him if he's OK. He gets that text. That first year after you lose your mother, man, especially if you are having those realistic dreams she's not gone. It hurts. Paper Boi's continuous grumpiness totally makes sense now, but it's so buried. He's a very stoic kind of negative person, so it's hard to tell that's grief and depression, but that one damn tear in the woods said it all. He needed to cry that tear so he could move on.

Maybe it's hard for him to accept success without his mother there to see it. Like, it's not real to him. Losing someone like that can drain all the meaning out of things for a while. Plus, Earn calls to give condolences, but it's just prelude to bugging him about business. That rubbed Al's fur the wrong way and he was shitty the rest of the time.

Poor Al, damn. I feel that pain. No wonder this episode just hurt so much to watch, even before I fully realized what it was about. I have been there. Profound. Peace, I need to sleep on this now. My mother's death anniversary is next week :(

Bro im right there w you. Been a year n a half since i lost my mom. Had one of those type of dreams this morning actually. Then watching this episode man, it took me places i wasnt ready to visit you know. Hope you're doing ok bro. But yea BTH was so fuckin spot on with displaying that type of almost hidden pain. That man needs an emmy or something.

Yep. Lost my pops @ 16. Had a "mad at the world" demeanor until about 20 when I came to terms with what happened. Great episode.

3 more replies

the anniversary of her death, but i think it might be longer than a year since she died tho. when i was watching i was thinking like 2-5 year anniversary tbh.

in the pilot, alfred chastised earn for not showing his face since his mom's funeral. that a weight to it that implied that al was hurting for a while and it had been a looooong time since they had been in contact. and then earn just shows up purely to try and do business smh.

earn doesn't deserve alfred.

5 more replies

1 more reply

Thought it was gonna be Katt Williams for a minute lol

Nah, he’s still runnin.

3 more replies

I feel like that was him imagining his dad because the comment he made about al being stubborn like his mom.

7 more replies

The vibe of the whole episode swerved as soon as he left that ho. It kinda sucks seeing Al "broken in" by the end of the episode.

I feel like Al is, in a weird way, being fake by trying to act like he can still live his same old life. It's brought him nothing but trouble this robbin' season. His homeless hallucinogenic pops was right. He's gotta keep moving on.

Either that or he decided that the kid in the gas station was a "real fan," just honestly asking for a pic, unlike everyone else, who wanted to change or rob him. Tryna put a positive spin on it. That ep was emotionally hurtful!

10 more replies

Lmfao @ Darius putting his foot in it like Suga Mama from The Proud Family.

5 more replies

WTF is with next weeks episode? That looks like a scene out of a zombie movie.

Original Poster30 points · 4 months ago

3 more replies

So here's the thing: Al can't be blinged out with watch, chain, and studs but also be trying to keep it real. That's how you get robbed.

1 more reply

Yo y’all go dig through that broadcast pause and see wtf y’all can find.

As I said in another comment I love how like Louisiana in True Detective, the city of Atlanta has become a character unto itself.

Right before it breaks in the homeless man says, "ain't nobody out here but you and me boy," then the fox network cuts in and it goes back to him saying, "12,11,13,14,15,17“ so I think we definitely missed something

I caught it on demand tonight, there was no cut. The homeless man starts counting "1,2,3,12,11..." and Al gets up. Sounds like maybe 5 seconds got cut out on the broadcast, nothing significant. If anything it may have unintentionally added to the disorientation of the scene.

3 more replies

Maybe it was Al disocciating in that moment of crisis. They say fight or flight, but there's a third f-- freeze. Al fought and fled before that. Maybe in that moment, he froze, blanked out for 11 seconds?

5 more replies

I don't see anything other then the "FOX NETWORK" branding and it doesn't appear to be a standard color bar. No other lettering or pattern in the colors. Maybe just to fuck with us to make us look? Make you think you were going to miss something? Idk.

4 more replies

Came here for some answers myself. This is the first episode of the show I've ever been able to watch "live" on TV. If that episode wasn't already making me trip enough...

18 more replies

Alfred's girl was telling him he needs a new manager because Earn ain't doing enough, but at the start of the episode wasnt Earn asking him to fill out some forms and Al just left him hanging?

Yes. And that's the truth. Earn has tried to set Al up with things but Al walks out, doesn't sign, won't do this or that. Blaming this on Earn isn't really fair, and deep down (or not so deep), Al knows it. He is personally hesitant to move to the next level of fame.

From the full picture of the season, it's a bit more than that. Earn tries, but he's also a fuckup - and part of that is that while he does create opportunities, he's two things: a) too passive to push Al in the right direction to get his fame up - whether it's kinda halfheartedly asking him to sign some forms or not being "real" with Alfred about how "keeping it real" isn't a way to do business, and b) honestly doesn't seem to know enough at times to get Al to promote himself to the fullest. He doesn't have all the connections yet, and doesn't "manage" as much as "make suggestions" that Al can either take or pass and it makes almost no difference.

Are you saying he needs Ari from Entourage? ;)

Earn doesn't have the experience. That's true. But Al also lacks the drive. Maybe if Al got some drive, they could make some breakthroughs. I mean, this is circular, right? Al had an underground mixed tape when the show started. Now he's breaking big at least in Atlanta-- that fame is all due to Earn's efforts bc before he got involved, all Paper Boi had was a 22 track recording with skits and all that. So we can criticize Earn here, but whatever Al has fame-wise right now is due to Earn's promotions.

1 more reply

She just wants him to get Al free shoes and post fake pics about an imaginary lifestyle. Everything she says should be taken with a mountain of salt.

She was right though. Her and the man in the woods made the same point: Leave or Stay. You can't have both. Al has to get out of this area and put his pride aside. Otherwise he's going to lose everything one day.

5 more replies

Original Poster64 points · 4 months ago

Al got literally robbed but I think this episode is going to show him that he’s now robbed of just being a normal dude. He’s reached that level of fame that he can’t just be walking down the block without problems.

29 points · 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

Not wearing that much hardware he can't. He bought fancy shoes, then walked home. Can't have it both ways. Choose a direction, right?

4 more replies

I thought that kid was gonna shoot him at the end

This is not The Wire.

Comment deleted4 months ago(2 children)

2 more replies

A man got to have a code.

Fuckin Kenard

1 more reply

With the way the episode was going, I did too. I thought he was gonna rob him or some shit.

The way the shot was framed too

1 more reply

Anyone else interpret the woods as an allegory for Paper Boi’s depression? To me from the beginning the episode felt very focused on his depression, but the woods seemed like it represented a “dark time” that you go through when you’re depressed. You’re just annoyed by everyone, people even try to help you, and you just can’t be helped...you’re clueless...then all of the sudden you’re out of it and you look back and wonder why you were so insufferable.

Yes, but we don't need to wonder why. It's the one year anniversary of his mother's death. That type of anniversary will completely ruin you for a good chunk of time.

“Only after weeks had passed did I begin to think that I had, rather absent-mindedly, passed through what mystics call “the dark night of the soul,” or “crossing the abyss.” Whatever one calls it, I reached a depth of despair and deliberately decided to love the world instead of pitying myself; and, afterwards, I was no longer afraid of anything.” -Robert Anton Wilson

I thought of this quote when I read your comment. Paper Boi's time in the woods could be interpreted as his "dark night of the soul". His mental/spiritual and physical world crashed, ego("realness") and real (near)death experiences. Emerging from The Woods a better man.

Donald’s promise of this show being “Twin Peaks for rappers” is being fulfilled here.

1 more reply

I feel like al went through that spiritual journey for him to be real to himself and to believe in himself even when times are getting hard. He’s grieving for his mom also because he misses her.

So do you think that's the real Al at the end, or his doppelganger from The Black Lodge?

47 points · 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

I'm pretty certain the man in the forest was a figment of Al's father, unless I'm forgetting a detail about his parents. They started the episode off with a figment of his mother in Al's place humming gospel music, and the man in the forest is humming gospel music too. They're the only two people in the episode to do that, and for some reason I doubt it was just a coincidence.

He even says "I lost my baby" (Al's mother or Al himself?) and "You is just like your mama," and while he seems pretty crazy that doesn't mean everything is not true.

11 more replies

PaperBoi was fighting depression this whole time.

The part that stuck out to me was when Al was walking by the bridge/overpass and you see him pass by the first column, but he disappears as he passes by the second column.

This season has been downright amazing and that's saying something considering how damn good the first season was. I really enjoy the mix of surrealism and comedy. There aren't jokes on this show. There's life through the lens of it, in all it's hilarious terror and underwhelming.

1 more reply

Jeez that was intense. I was genuinely scared as hell when Paper Boi was wrestling with the gun of the one mugger. I loved the ending too, when he agrees to take the photo with the fan and ended it with “Stay safe out there.” It might seem minor but there was something heartwarming about it.

Alfred got robbed of his spirit.

Siera said something like “Nobody wants somebody famous to look just like them.”

Nobody wants someone famous to be just as depressed as them.

20 points · 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

Spiritual Journey ala Dante's Inferno.

1. Al meets "3 beasts", forcing him into the dark woods.

2. Al gets lost in the woods.

3. Al meets a "guide" who helps him escape.

4. The "guide" wears red and grabs a red drink. Al wears blue and grabs a blue drink.

2 more replies

So did that kid that asked for a picture at the end just not care that Al was covered in blood?

He didn't ask for a pic. Al offered a pic.

Comment deleted4 months ago(1 child)

1 more reply

anyone catch that number that texted him on his phone?

(470) 635-1697

Thinking about you today <3

I think it's the anniversary of a sad event... maybe his mother's death?

8 more replies

5 more replies

It's weird, last night The Americans had probably its saddest episode yet. To me, this was the saddest episode of the series so far. Something about it was weird and like one of those nightmares were you are lost somewhere, feel like you are losing yourself, and lost ones you love. Just an incredibly surreal and sad episode of television. This was basically Brian Tyree Henry's Emmy submission.

Whoever played that guy in the woods was great. Found the right balance between quirky oddness and creepy.

agree completely and oddly enough I thought about that The Americans episode too after this. 'Woods' was extremely solemn.

everyone who works on Atlanta, from acting to writing, is hitting on all cylinders this season. it's perfect, abstract television.

2 more replies

Is this the best show on tv right now? Sure feels like it.

I see what Donald meant by this show having Twin Peaks as an influence now...

Y'all think Sierra set him up? Blasted him on IG and told everyone he was walking?

Doubt it tbh. Seems like a coincidence and after the kids realized he’s pretty much a normal dude, they robbed him. + it’s called Robbin season

5 more replies

The people beating up Alfred - were they the robbers from the first episode?

214 more replies

Atlanta is an American single-camera comedy tv series created by Donald Glover (Childish Gambino) who is also starring. The series is about two cousins in the Atlanta rap scene. The second season, titled Atlanta: Robbin' Season, premiered on March 1, 2018.