Canned corn for the first time

Original Poster9 points · 1 month ago

I got a great deal on 2 bushels of corn ($4.80 a bushel), so I decided to can it... this is 33 ears of corn... I estimate I have enough corn to make 3 times this much.

Did you can at 15psi because of your elevation? I can at 10 psi where I live. I want to can some jersey corn when it comes in.

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

Yup, I live at 5700 feet, anything over 1000 needs 15 psi

thanks! I just wanted to be sure I was doing it right!

3 points · 1 month ago

Looks delicious! Do you just cut it off the cob and pressure can it?

Original Poster7 points · 1 month ago

Husk it, clean it, parboil it for 3 minutes, then cut it off the husk, add water, and can for 55 minutes @ 15 psi. Pretty simple, but labor intensive.

When we would do 4 or 5 bushels we’d borrow every angel food cake pan we could, line up all the family and make assembly line canning all day. Just realized: you stick the small end of the cob in the hole in the pan and then just slice down, all kernels fall in the pan. We didn’t blanch it first. All the prep work was done on the back porch.

I've done the two bowl thing before for corn, but ho-lee-crap that's a great idea.

I could look this up but it's quicker to ask here....if I added a 1/4 cup of raw, diced, sweet red pepper, and green bell pepper....would I need to increase the canning time or would the 55 mins cover it?

Noob here. That looks great!

How long could this be stored (in ideal conditions) before going bad?

I'm going to get down voted to shit because the majority of people on this sub are very particular in the advice they like to hear, but in reality if you can it properly then there are no more harmful organisms in the jar and it has sealed air tight so nothing new can get in, it can last indefinitely.

With that being said most people recommend only a year or 2 and to store it somewhere at a non flucuating room temp.

Oldest thing I've ever are was 8 years old, and it was delicious.

I like an underdog, take my upvote.

5 points · 1 month ago · edited 29 days ago

Not sure uf unpopular, but it's true. Been eating up to 10 years old cans and age is hardly something I could guess while eating it...

3 points · 1 month ago

We just made beef veggie soup....the beef was canned 4 years ago. It was YUMMO

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

Agreed... if you look up how they determine expiration dates you'll see it doesn't make sense...

Basically if it smells good and looks good, it's probably good.

In general, yes. With canning, not necessarily. Botulism doesn’t necessarily affect the smell, look, or taste of food. I’m not too worried about a pressure canned jar, but water bath canning is not a good method to keep something for years.

Original Poster2 points · 23 days ago

That's fair, I'd agree with that. I couldn't tell you the last time I water bath canned though, so it must have slipped my mind. Thank you for pointing it out.

Of course! I read your comments but didn’t think about the fact that you gave a psi recommendation. It’s crazy that corn needs so long in a pressure canner!

Do you need to acidify it for it to be shelf-stable?

Not if you pressure can it. You can not do a hot water bath for this or any other non acidic fruit/veggie.

You could of course pickle it with salt and vinegar making it acidic then hot water bath it. You can pickle a lot of veggies besides just cucumbers.

Neighbor makes pickled chicken....sounded disgusting to me but it tatstes like a sweet dream...it's good.

Found the best deal on corn today fill a trash bag for $1! I have an allergy the labor intensive comment put me off from trying just for the hell of it.

-32 points · 1 month ago(0 children)
Original Poster17 points · 1 month ago

Sorry, I guess I should not have used slang. I didn't realize you would not understand what I meant.

15 points · 1 month ago

Apparently even this sub isn't immune to trolls.

Corn looks great!