Word of Warning: Hot Simple Syrup

If you decide to make honey simple syrup, you will have the great idea of reusing the honey bear as a bottle for your syrup. It is important to remember to let the syrup cool fully before putting it in the bottle.

443 points · 7 days ago

Honey boo boo.

Original Poster106 points · 7 days ago

Take your god damn upvote.

I died

I hope you feel better

6 points · 7 days ago

She's dead

RIP me

You called?

Hot sugar solutions ain’t called culinary napalm for nothing.

Also, be careful cooling down the syrup, too. When I worked in pharma QC, I tested mannitol and had to test the solubility. It's been a few years, but it was something in the order of 50g in 100mL of water. Well, it was 6am and I was groggy AF running the test. The water was boiled, the sugar dissolved (test passed). I placed the beaker on the lab bench (forgetting it was January and the bench top was a solid 10F). The cold bottom triggered the rapid crystallization of the sugar molecules and the beaker exploded with hot sugar water shooting everywhere.

Original Poster24 points · 7 days ago

Oh fuck, that sucks! Was anyone hurt?

I was using a small pot, so I think it was okay. I ended up tossing a few ice cubes into it.

TBH I am always a little scared of thermal shock. Back before I started doing cold brew, I used a pour-over with ice in the glass and I was always a little nervous about breaking the glass. Looking back, im sure the slow flow pretty much mitigated that, as did having the coffee touch the ice directly, instead of the glass.

Thermal shock is real (PYREX >>> Pyrex). Luckily, I was not hurt at all. The water was hot but cooled down fast enough in the air that I didn't get burned at all. I did have to rinse out my hair, face, and sweater from all the dried sugar. I was wearing my proper PPE, so the lab goggles saved my eyes, and lab coat caught most of the sugar water.

Edit:
PYREX = borosilicate glass (low coefficient of thermal expansion)
pyrex = soda-lime glass (high coefficient of thermal expansion, will crack/shatter under thermal stress)

20 points · 7 days ago

OXO also uses borosilicate glass now that you have to hunt for decent PYREX.

5 points · 7 days ago

hunt for decent PYREX.

Why is this? Did something happen?

15 points · 7 days ago

The new owners of Pyrex don't use the same quality materials.

well, more like they sold the use of the name, which didnt force the new manufacturer to use borosilicate glass on the products.

5 points · 7 days ago

Changed to soda lime glass years ago. It's more vulnerable to exploding from thermal shock than borosilicate was.

I've heard that the brand is owned by a different company in Europe and they still have borosilicate.

The borisillicate stuff made today (in Europe, but available via Amazon e.t.c,) always has PYREX in all uppercase in the logo. If it’s got lowercase letters - it’s soda lime glass.

1 point · 7 days ago

Interesting, I'll have to look it up and read more about it. thanks!

Corporate greed.

3 points · 7 days ago

Money, the answer to and cause of everything.

Nah, more people lose their dishes to dropping than thermal changes. Soda lime holds up better to drops.

That may be their corporate stance but every source I can find online points to cost reductions when American Bakeware purchased the Pyrex™ brand name. In fact in testing "Consumer Reports found the resistance to impact breakage to vary widely among samples, but that some samples of soda lime glass were in fact quite strong in that regard." Source

11 points · 7 days ago

Upvote for wearing your proper PPE, there are way too many accidents in my lab that could have been avoided if people weren’t lazy with their protection

Original Poster3 points · 7 days ago

Well thats good! I’ve gotten some decent sugar burns from making candy. Luckily, they were very localized, just a few drops. I can’t imagine what exploding, molten sugar would feel like.

Side note, I have a friend who is a chef, and she has a sugar burn about the size of a playing card on her left forearm.

Syrup is like napalm when it's boiling. One of the worst things to get on your skin.

Original Poster1 point · 7 days ago

Especially since its so damn sticky. Like, water at the same temperature, while certainly very painful, isn’t nearly as bad because its off quickly. The sugar just sits there, and (from something I read a long time ago) holds onto heat for a long time!

I am still picking up shards in my mind after my pyrex pan shattered. Shit was everywhere.

28 points · 7 days ago

Also, skip the bear honey and go for some local, pure honey. Save the bees, better honey, you can trust that it’s actually honey.

(Rotten on Netflix was quite the eye opener on the honey industry)

Original Poster16 points · 7 days ago

Oh definitely. I have two jars of local honey that I absolutely love. However, because I didn’t know how well this would work, it didn’t want to use my good stuff only for it to not work.

5 points · 7 days ago

Very very fair lol don’t waste good honey on experiments? Too yummy for that ;)

Original Poster5 points · 7 days ago

One is a Star Anise Infused raw honey from Makabi and Sons (I wanted to add a link to where to buy it but I can’t find their site!), the other is a Lemon Whipped Honey from a farmers market in Montana.

Is whipped honey the same as spun honey?

Original Poster6 points · 7 days ago

Yeah, its just different names for the same process of slowly crystallizing the honey. Its also called creamed honey, churned honey, honey fondant, and set honey.

Thank you! It is ridiculously good.

Local companies also use bears like in parts of Texas ;)

3 points · 7 days ago

Here in Wisconsin, too, I assume because it's such an iconic and easily recognizable shape.

1 point · 7 days ago

In NJ too.

Am beekeeper. They sell those bears empty at many places.

Personally, I wouldn't want to take my nice honey and put it in plastic. I get it... it is cheaper.

Besides, put it in a mason jar with a hunk of comb and I imagine you could sell it for much more. I haven't sold any yet, but that is my thinking.

5 points · 7 days ago

Oh yeah I’d pay more for a mason jar and a hunk of comb and a nice label, maybe even a bow ;) good luck selling your liquid gold!

My beehives are even right on the edge of a certified organic apple orchard that makes, and distributes, cider.

I should get a quadruple multiplier on this stuff.... I am going to be a MILLIONAIRE.

Or maybe a tenaire. hopefully I can sell enough to keep my hobby going and grow it a little. lol.

2 points · 7 days ago

Once you're ready to sell that and have a shop open, hit me up. I will gladly buy some!

You should make a post here in r/cooking once you're ready to sell! Lots of honey enthusiasts here it seems

haha. it would be a while (years). A few hives don't go very far, but the plan (and plans change) is to get up to 10. That is what my friends at the apple orchard would like.

14 points · 7 days ago · edited 7 days ago

That poor bottle looks like it's been kicked into r/crappyoffbrands's territory...

EDIT: fixed the sub name

3 points · 7 days ago

I really wanted that to be a thing :(

It is! It's just r/crappyoffbrands instead of offbrand.

Frick. I'll fix it eventually...

You just linked to the crappy off brand sub instead of the legit brand sub.

That poor bottle looks like it's been kicked into r/crappyoffbrand's territory...;ojjji>That poor bottle looks like it's been kicked into r/crappyoffbrand's territory... ;Ih Jik>That poor bottle looks like it's been kicked into r/crappyoffbrand's territory...

4 points · 7 days ago · edited 7 days ago

Your counter tile pattern is very apt for this post.

“Hey, Boo Boo! I cannot feel my face. Send help.”

Original Poster2 points · 7 days ago

“Oh Bother...”

So disappointing OP. I was hoping for a time-lapse destruction (or explosion) of your honey bear bottle. Lol

Original Poster2 points · 7 days ago

If I hadn’t used all my honey making the syrup, I would have!!!

Don't put hot stuff in plastic and other life lessons that you should already know

Life lessons that you remember about five seconds after you've already done them.

-1 points · 7 days ago

Except that not everyone is aware of how long it takes for hot simple syrup to cool. Do you know, exactly?

I'm not sure how that's relevant to what I said. You can just check to see if it's cool before trying to transfer it.

-2 points · 7 days ago

Really? It's not relevant that it takes an incredibly long time to cool compared to something like boiling water? It cools much, much slower and may cause an accidental burn if you're not aware that you have to let it cool for much longer than other hot liquids. There's more to it than simply "DON'T USE PLASTIC, DUH" so it's not just a simple life lesson that you so condescendingly stated.

Most people boil it in a pot with a handle, if you pick the handle up you may not realize that the syrup is still very hot even though the handle is cool. So if you're in a rush and now aware of the wait time, yeah it may cause an injury.

I guess you can add "check if things are the correct temperature, don't just assume" to the list of life lessons you should already know then.

2 points · 7 days ago

Lol! It seems like getting to work is probably very complicated for them.

Do you have a recipe?

Original Poster2 points · 7 days ago

I kinda just eyeballed it. It was 1 part honey to 1 part water. The container was 1/2 full, so i just poured the honey into a pot, filled it to the same level with water, and poured that into a pot. I then heated it on medium till it just barely started simmering, and then I should have let it cool but I was impatient!

Thanks! Is it just like regular simple syrup application wise? I enjoy honey and would like to use it in cold drinks and would be perfect as a simple syrup

Original Poster3 points · 7 days ago

As far as I know, yeah! It works just like simple syrup, but with a honey taste!

WoW: HSS

“Kill meeee”

How does one make honey simple syrup and what do you use it for as opposed to just using honey? I’m genuinely curious, it sounds delicious.

Original Poster2 points · 7 days ago

Well, for the how, its the same as a sugar simple syrup: equal parts water and honey, simmer. I did just till the honey was dissolved in the water, about 5 minutes on medium or so.

As for the why: it allows you to sweeten cold drinks with honey, because the honey wouldn’t dissolve in cold stuff normally!

And it is delicious!!

Why make honey into a syrup instead of just using the honey?

Original Poster1 point · 7 days ago

Because it allows you to sweeten cold drinks with honey.

We love using honey, so I will try this next time we do an iced tea or cold brew coffee. Thanks!

Mmmm, cancer

In other news, water is wet and snow is cold.

Hot simple syrup is a weapon in prison. The more you know...

Original Poster2 points · 7 days ago

Should be a combined GIF with the scene from Watchmen.

/r/Cooking is a place for the cooks of reddit and those who want to learn how to cook. Post anything related to cooking here, within reason.

r/Cooking Rules