Disagreement with my grandmother...

She had a resectioning a few years ago, in an emergency situation. (We didn't know she had crohns and she was in ICU for a while)

Today she asked me when I can have vegetables again and I told her I didn't know if my body would ever handle it okay because that's not normal for people with crohns.

"Well I had more taken out than you, and I eat vegetables."

馃檮馃檮馃檮

She also complains all the time about not feeling great but she's too stubborn to hear out any other opinions other than her own...

So basically my question is, can any of y'all handle salads and stuff? I do love them but don't want to risk it.

Raw is generally bad for Crohns - steamed veggies are probably the best. Add some coconut oil and sea salt to them.

Yes! Steamed for sure. Anything too leafy and green I can't take.

Kale and broccoli are best

C.D. since '02
19 points1 month ago

Yes. I eat a salad every day for lunch.

But it鈥檚 hard to compare with you because you haven鈥檛 disclosed your medication history, flare status or surgical history. All of those can have some affect on what you eat.

Just curious what medications do you take and surgeries have you had? I can鈥檛 eat tomatoes and I would like to eat them.

I鈥檓 only on lialda and have had no surgery and I鈥檓 pretty much in remission.

C.D. since '02
4 points1 month ago

No surgeries (though resection scheduled due to extreme narrowing) Stelara has me in remission.

Due to narrowing and scar tissue I have to stay away from stuff like asparagus and corn but other veggies and salads are mostly fine.

I also eat a salad every day for lunch. I handle raw veggies just fine. Diagnosed just about a year ago (August 1 2017) been on two rounds of prednisone, the standard antibiotics cipro and flagyll when I first got diagnosed. Was on Humira for 6 months and now I'm on Methotrexate. Tapering prednisone right now.

People with Crohn's generally have trouble handling raw fruit and veggies. It's different for everyone though, I also don't have any problem with mildly spicy foods. Super spicy is kindof an issue, but for the most part spicy doesn't bother me. I think that's the universe throwing me a bone though because the rest of the journey has been pretty tough.

Original Poster1 point1 month ago

I had a resectioning three weeks ago, which removed all evidence of Crohn's, but I remain on Remicade.

I ate salads and veggies before my surgery but it usually went right through me.

Not sure how long that takes to heal but don't get over confident before you're healed. If your doc says you're healed though, just try a small salad. Chewing thoroughly is very helpful. I was never one to spend much time chewing before I was diagnosed. Now I make a very conscious effort to chew and eat slowly and I rarely have issues with any food.

Crohn's - 2005
4 points1 month ago

That's far too soon for leafy greens. Your intestines are still healing and you need to be on a low fiber diet for quite a while. I'd suggest talking to your doctor with your grandmother to get the both of you set straight.

Original Poster5 points1 month ago

I don't usually take my grandma's words for fact because she thinks she's the only one who's ever gone thru something. I tried telling her I couldn't have them yet and she scoffed.

She forgets she couldn't eat or drink for a month after he surgery...

C.D. 1990
5 points1 month ago

Just nod in agreement and slowly back out of the room. Yes nanna. Uh huh. Absolutely. With ya a hundred percent.

Original Poster2 points1 month ago

Our personalities are too similar and fiery for that 馃槀馃槀

C.D. 1990
1 point1 month ago

I find humor can diffuse even the fieriest of people! They either laugh or they stop because they know you will keep mocking them.

2 points1 month ago

Oh wow. I took it easy on anything too fibery like nuts and harder veggies and my dr had me use a fiber pill or something similar to help (stool forming and stuff) since I wasn鈥檛 eating much of that stuff while I was healing.

I avoid salads and prefer to eat only cooked vegetables.

That said, my situation's good enough that I can get away with a small amount of raw veggies, like what you'd get on a burger, and not have any significant issues.

C.D. Class of '11
5 points1 month agoedited 1 month ago

I can, to a degree. I'm extremely lucky to not have a lot of trigger foods, so I can eat a lot of things I like. They do, however, require some planning. For example, thingy sliced cucumber is not an issue and doesn't need to be peeled. I can get away most times with eating a few cherry tomatoes. I'm ok eating salads, but I do need to keep in mind it'll come out within an hour, so even if it doesn't really hurt, there's no way I'm eating it anywhere but home. I live for stir fried veggies, like sugar snaps, snow peas, mushrooms, bok choy... Something that helps for me it's to eat it with plenty of starches, because that slows it down a bit. That being said, my bowels threw a raging 3 day fit just last week over a handful of seedless grapes, and apples or pears with skin can cause a riot as well.

At the end of the day, it's wildly different for everyone, and if you want to know if you can eat veggies, the only way is to try. But go slow, start with small amounts of stuff that is easier to digest, and keep track of how it's treating you 馃槉 Also, your grandmother is being unfair for holding your body to her standards. I genuinely hope she can come to see that your struggle is equally valid.

5 points1 month ago

I eat all kinds of vegetables. They're a staple for a healthy diet, and we need the micronutrients more than anyone. Actually, my biggest IBD related pet peeve is the misinformation re veggies are bad for us. NOPE! They're so important. That doesn't mean eat raw kale or have 3 salads a day. Steamed, mashed, whatever can be tolerated. But imo you can't be healthy without consuming any vegetables.

Original Poster1 point1 month ago

I've been partial to steamed carrots since my surgery.

Gonna try squash tonight.

I can, on occasion. Sometimes my body decides it wants to digest romaine or spinach or boston and sometimes it doesn't. It's usually one of those, "oh hey, lettuce!" moments in the bathroom a few hours later.

4 points1 month ago

I can do raw veggies all day long. Lack of sleep and stress are my triggers.

Crohn's|Entyvio and Immuran|since 2002
3 points1 month ago

Salad and fresh veggies doesn鈥檛 normally cause me pain, unless I鈥檓 flaring. However, it鈥檚 pretty clear that my body doesn鈥檛 really digest it, considering it鈥檚 all still pretty identifiable in the end.

I still eat salad when it doesn鈥檛 hurt, because I enjoy them. But I don鈥檛 expect I get the benefit eating veggies does for most people.

C.D. - Ostomy
3 points1 month ago

I house vegetables on a regular basis. Everyone is different.

Everyone is different. I for one can have a giant salad for dinner and be completely fine. But if I have a handful of popcorn I spend the whole next day in the can.

Original Poster4 points1 month ago

Oh man I love popcorn.

I'd only eat it at the theater but only ended up with minimal discomfort.

C.D. Since '01 (Remicade and Imuran)
1 point1 month ago

same here, gotta save it for those special occasions

I eat salad all the time but it doesn't mean that I absorb the nutrients. Go for it! All you can do is try

Original Poster3 points1 month ago

I had my resectioning 3 weeks ago and go back to the surgeon in the month, so I'm gonna wait a little longer for him to clear me for it.

I do miss salads...

C.D. 1990
2 points1 month ago

Maybe green juice? It takes a while to heal. I thought I was all good and went for a long walk and regretted it for days. Its ok to take it easy. You're already slow to heal thanks to crohn's and malnutrition. Give it a month or two and then you can start incorporating more foods.

Original Poster1 point1 month ago

Yeah in a couple months I'll be on vacation and I really want to just eat EVERYTHING. lol

I can't eat vegetables no. I can't eat anything with too much insoluble fiber.

3 points1 month ago

I eat salad, but only on occasion because it gives me cramps and kinda tears me up inside. Anything with too much fiber is a no go. After having issues with breakfast cereal, I finally did my own experiment and found that if a cereal has more than 4g of fiber per serving, I'm out. I will occasionally have a bowl of higher fiber cereal because some of them are my favorites (like frosted shredded wheat), but I know to expect shredded wheat to also shred my GI tract lol

C.D.; Entyvio&Methotrexate
3 points1 month ago

I can eat anything right now. I eat salads, raw broccoli with dip, carrots, raw onions in salads or as toppings, corn, etc.

I鈥檒l even eat popcorn on special occasions (1-2 times a year). That鈥檚 tempting fate because I鈥檝e read plenty of stories of people who could eat anything getting a surprise obstruction from popcorn. But I live for food so I鈥檒l do what I want and be angry at myself later if it ends up being stupid.

But I鈥檓 me. My disease is different than yours and different than your grandmother鈥檚. Don鈥檛 listen to her. If you鈥檙e worried about veggies don鈥檛 eat them. Stress definitely does effect our diseases almost universally and it鈥檚 totally possible that being worried about the food your eating will make you sick.

Also, when I had recently flared I didn鈥檛 eat veggies for years. And I still minimize fiber in foods I鈥檓 not craving. Like I鈥檒l eat white rice instead of brown and I don鈥檛 eat salads every day - only when I really really want one.

2 points1 month ago

I was told I should be able to handle some vegetables once I'm in remission, but to avoid most of them for now while I'm flaring.

I can鈥檛 eat most raw vegetables but I鈥檓 okay when they are cooked.

Crohn's since '02
2 points1 month agoedited 1 month ago

I had a resection in 2005, it was a literal lifesaver and also threw me over the line into full remission for a few years, but I've never been able to handle a salad again. Sometimes I will have one because it just sounds so good, and sometimes the consequences are less painful than other times, but it always sucks and always makes my husband say "no more salads for you!"

I can generally handle most canned or fully cooked vegetables, but the especially fibrous greens just kill me no matter what. If I eat a stick of celery I'm in a ball on the floor for half an hour.

But every body is different; if you're in remission or not too severely flaring you can try slowly adding veggies to your diet and seeing what you can and can't handle.

I eat raw kale all the time. I wouldn't want it during a flare though I suppose. If you want to ease yourself back in to veggies, test the waters with a smoothie. I do kale, spinach, berries, protein, and half fresh oj half water and sometimes kefir. You'll still be getting that fiber but at least blending takes care of a lot of the breaking down process. I do also take digestive enzymes with every meal.

Two resections here. I cannot handle any fresh fruits or veggies, or even cooked fruits and veggies. I eat them anyway, because I'm stupid like that and love them, but I may as well eat them while on the toilet.

Raw vegetables have been causing me the most trouble lately. Even ones that didn't used to be a problem for me. The other week I ate a few pieces of sushi with cucumber in them, and the next day was all horrible pain, vomiting, and diarrhea. Raw red onion has gotten me twice in the last month. Before that it was corn and broccoli.

At this point I just have to give up on salads and uncooked veggies until my intestines stop being stupid. :/

No Way! Not even cooked. Cucumbers and strawberries are all I can do no actual salad or any fruit

You don't make friends with Salad! Roughage and raw veggies are murder on my system, it must be mush before I can handle it and sometimes not even then. When I was first diagnosed in 2003 they were very clear that salads (roughage), baked potato peels, and raw veggies were no longer allowed in my diet.

Crohn's 2001, Resection 2014
2 points1 month ago

I can handle salads just fine, especially post resection. Prior to that, I could unless I was flaring. Popcorn, too.

Crohn's 1991, 3 surgeries, Stelara
2 points1 month ago

Salads shoot through me at light speed. I am literally a salad shooter. I eat enough vegetables to ensure that I don't get scurvy and that's about it. Take a multivitamin and try not to eat too much junk food IMHO.

C.D. 2017
2 points1 month ago

I can handle vegetables other than cabbage (cabbage gives me the worst cramps!), but I don't have too many as they are high in fiber and I have a narrowing. I try to do it in moderation - if I have a salad for lunch, then I won't eat fruit that day, for instance.

U.C. 07
2 points1 month ago

Right now I show no symptoms, I'm 100% in remission. I had a chicken ceaser salad yesterday and it ran through me and I was in pain for a few hours and in the bathroom twice. So, no I can't have salads :( and I really like them too.

Cooked vegetables, non-stringy ones like some green beans and pea pods can be (stringy part doesn鈥檛 digest, at least not for me). Salad has always given me a stomach ache. But I chew everything down to a paste, basically, so it takes me a while. I鈥檓 good with most fruits as long as I don鈥檛 go over 3 servings a day on them. If you want to eat fruit and veg, start out small and maybe see if your doctor has recommendations or restrictions. Chew it well, whatever you choose.

As irritating as it may be for you, I鈥檓 sure your grandma means well. Sometimes it鈥檚 easier to let the argument go and tell her you鈥檒l check into it. If she lives with you I suppose it won鈥檛 be so easy. Every Crohn鈥檚 patient experiences it differently, so do what you think is safest for you.

The only way to really know is to eat a salad and see what happens. That's really the only way to figure out what foods you can and can't eat. Everyone is different. I can handle salads but I can't do corn. If I want corn bad enough, I'll eat it, but I know how it will fuck me up later in the day or the next day.

Original Poster1 point1 month ago

Yeah. I used to just eat whatever and deal with the consequences, but I'm still healing from my resectioning so I'm kind of paranoid.

Just take it slow and heal up. After a few months, just to be on the safe side, start trying different things to see what works.

I have no problems with raw vegetables, in general. When I'm flaring real bad I'll eat things that tend to stick to my insides though.

I eat salads all the time.

EAT FRUIT AND VEG!

Your doctor will tell you to avoid plant fibre because it's painful against inflamed tissue.

What they don't tell you is that a diet low in fibre increases inflammation over time. So does one high in mammal meat (birds and fish are ok in moderation).

I'm sorry I can't link the source from my mobile but there are some out there.

My personal experience is that eating plenty of well-cooked vegetables and raw fruits including all the skins etc is good for me and leads to better intestinal behaviour over time - as long as I'm not at risk of a blockage, then everything gets liquidised.

Masters of the Throne

Currently Pooping

Crohn's disease is a type of inflammatory bowel disease that may affect any part of the gastrointestinal tract from mouth to anus, causing a wide variety of symptoms. It primarily causes abdominal pain, diarrhea (which may be bloody if inflammation is at its worst), vomiting, or weight loss, but may also cause complications outside the gastrointestinal tract such as skin rashes, arthritis, fatigue, depression, anxiety, and lack of concentration.

********************

Please remember that there is currently no known pharmaceutical or surgical cure for Crohn's disease. Treatment options are restricted to controlling symptoms, maintaining remission, and preventing relapse.

One of the best things for Crohn's is to talk with other people who understand what it is really like.

We Accept ALL Forms of IBD

Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis, indeterminate, and the friends & family that love and support them with open arms. Welcome!

We are not doctors. This subreddit should be considered a support community, never a substitute for doctor's advice. We can not treat or diagnose.

Please be nice! We like to maintain a supportive and informative atmosphere. Remember, you are in fact speaking with another human being on the other side of the keyboard. It's fine to have disagreements (especially when it comes to the more controversial topics) but the argument degrades when name calling and insults come in.

Many people find diet can make a difference, but please discuss with your doctor first. Also remember that what works for one person can make things worse for another.

NO TRADING DRUGS - they are prescription for a good reason and it is illegal to transfer them to someone else. If you have spare medicine, talk to your doctor about what to do with it.

NO BLOG POSTS!!

MESSAGE THE MODS BEFORE POSTING FUNDRAISER LINKS!

Other useful subreddits:

r/ibs

14,301 subscribers

r/shittingadvice

6,355 subscribers

r/bidets

279 subscribers

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies.Learn More.