Moon Lambo - How Can Anyone Take Crypto Seriously

Does anyone else think it's hard for people to take crypto seriously if the biggest influencer in the space is making songs called 'moon lambo'. I'm starting to think this is a case of right place, right time and very little understanding of the underlying technology. Plenty of Youtubers have covered projects that have done 100x and hype the next 'big thing'. Also not a fan of publicly posting wealth, would you ever post your bank balance? Am I speaking out of line or do people agree this is not a good look for the space?

Is it bad that I don't even know who you're talking about? I suspect the majority of investors don't pay much attention to "influencers".

Comment deleted4 months ago(0 children)
1 - 2 years account age. 200 - 1000 comment karma.

Moon is funny, lambo makes us look petty.

Really? Thats how you are going to spend your wealth? On a low quality, expensive car?

Can we make the new meme about enormous wealth? Early retirement? Buying a military?

Redditor for 8 months.

Buying a military

It's done. You hodl the crypt.

Yeah dude, ask KJ illll

Redditor for 8 months.

Not practical =/= Low quality

1 - 2 years account age. 200 - 1000 comment karma.

No I meant low quality.

Expect to take your lambo into the dealership 1-3 times a year.

I love a chance to crowbar in about Lambos. I've owned a Gallardo for over a year now. You're right that they're ripe with issues, you'll only be taking it to the shop if you actually drive the thing, which most owners don't do regularly. I run mine every couple of weeks to move the fluids through, and maybe get her out on the road once a month, if that. The an 04, first generation, of Lamborghini's first mass-production vehicle aimed at saving the company (it did). So yes it has its fair share of issues, but I think you're maybe a bit off base in saying it's low quality. These cars aren't built for everyday, reliable use. They're built to be vehicles that make you shit your pants and look sexy doing it. With all that power, they're certainly going to require more maintenance. Plus, I doubt Lamborghini really cares about making something that can go 30k miles between a service given their customer base.

Aside from one major repair when I bought it, i've only ever had it to the dealer for frequent oil swaps and to put a set of summer tires on it.

On the off chance anyone actually reads this, i'm actually running a contest within the next month to wrap the car in a cryptocurrency, with most proceeds benefiting a local charity. Still fleshing out details so please understand this isn't final. I'm just itching to start telling people about it.

The site: Shillambo.com

Live stream for lulz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6p-HwDv15w

Quality != Reliability.

Many high performance cars are less reliability because they use cutting edge technology and are produced with a lower volume.

The high compression, high output engine in a Lamborghini is order of magnitude higher quality than the same 4 cylinder Toyota has been using for 10 years in the Corolla, but less reliability because high performance means lower fault tolerance and constantly higher operating threshold.

If you subject the Corolla engine to the same operating threshold it would literally explode.

A F-22 Raptor requires more maintenance than a 747, but it would be stupid to call the former “low quality”.

1 - 2 years account age. 200 - 1000 comment karma.
1 point · 4 months ago

What about your door latch performance? Or seat longevity?

Quality is reliability.

Do Toyota have Lamborghini doors that open up? Do they come with the highest grade manually stitched leather? If not then you can not compare the reliability between them.

1 point · 4 months ago

In a sense, yes. But you're comparing cars that are built for entirely different purposes. A person buying a lamborghini probably isn't concerned as much about the longevity of the door latch as much as having an exotic car capable of 200mph. If you're buying an A - B car you probably aren't concerned about it's 0-60. Like the other guy said, in order to achieve this performance the car is built with very high quality material and engineering. It's not going to last more than 70k miles, but it isn't really made to. Its definitely not a practical car, but its not supposed to be.

Redditor for 10 months.

How is moon funny? Why do we need stupid memes?

Redditor for 11 months.
1 point · 4 months ago

It could have been worse. “When moon, when Prada bag, divorce attorney and plastic enhancements”. My wife did actually tell me she would divorce me if I bought a car as ridiculous as a Lamborghini, not that I want one and she wouldn’t actually, well, hopefully not. :)

I just want to pay off my house

Comment deleted4 months ago(4 children)
Redditor for 4 months.

Hahahaha well said

Altcoiner

Majority of his holdings were probably paid endorsements. I have a very small twitter account and WAX (third party repping them) offered to pay me to shill their ICO. Asked me to do a video and I don't even have a YouTube account.

-7 points · 4 months ago(0 children)

Everyone is a genius in a bull market.

Comment deleted4 months ago(6 children)

exactly this. look at wall street bets, there is plenty of slang and swagger and hubris. but everybody takes wall street seriously, because money. crypto is still very niche, despite what it seems like to some people.

nobody takes wsb seriously. Not even wsb takes wsb seriously. I read there for the lulz, but I'm seriously thinking of making a trading bot to inverse all their shit-spew.

i've got a few trading bot ideas, but i dont know shit about computers. how do you make one?

That's a big can of worms :) I promise I am not being sarcastic, but I sincerely recommend to research "stock trading robot" for stocks, or "Mt4 robot" for forex, as starting points; There's a LOT of ready-made bots. Just be aware that people far smarter than either of us have already cooked those basic strategies to death. And SERIOUSLY be very very leery of anything that is "Free" or seems over-hyped (ie, if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is).

So when I said I was "seriously thinking" of making a trading bot, I'm really full of it ;)

If you wanted to make something custom, you need to check if your trading platform of choice has an API (Application Programming Interface) to start coding against, and then start reading up on their API documentation as well as any applicable code-base you choose to develop your bot in (essentially, any programming language that can "talk" to their API is valid to script a bot with. Some options would be C-based languages (eg, C#, C++) ) or PHP, alternatively. Finally, a database to store any information locally that you might not be able to access easily through their API (due to rate limits or other such non-sense)...

No option would be "easy" to start with and they all have their trade-offs. And personally, I talk shit about WSB but there are still some pretty smart characters there. I would still take everything I read there with a grain of salt, and would certainly not trust automation with my cold-hard-cash :)

My ending advice (if any) is to continue to trash talk WSB and to NOT automate trades unless you REALLY know the game. Which I don't. :)

G'day!

i really appreciate it. as soon as i typed that comment i typed the same thing into youtube and realized i am way out of my depth. one idea i had, for example, would be to look at the weather on wall street, and if it is more pleasant than forecast, trades would go up. but my thought process was, "check weather forecast, check current weather, if 'yes' create buy order ::computer stuff computer stuff computer stuff:: then profit". it is sort of more complicated than that, haha! thanks again!

Upvote for being monero fan

Redditor for 9 months.

What!? Internet things are happening to internet money/investment!? Outrageous!

Blockchain Enthusiast

You have to understand that all/most crypto investors are not meme sharing, circle jerking moon kids. The people using these memes are just kids hoping their 10 ven will be worth 1000 dollars a pop one day. Ignore them. It’s hard to find good conversation with serious investors, but we are still around - gotta drown out the noise.

Redditor for 9 months.

If lambo posts are from lunch money investors, I think posts like this and the OP are from dinner money investors. You have more money in than moonboys so you think it qualifies you to be judgmental know-it-alls. Your "seriousness" is so boring. Whales love moonboys because they pay the bills. Start seeing minnows as part of the natural ecosystem and not as an annoyance and maybe then you'll see how markets actually work.

Blockchain Enthusiast

I’m not saying I don’t love moon boys.. I’m just saying not to generalize the whole community as such. No better feeling than them shilling a bag your holding, but it doesn’t represent a majority of investors. I’m far from a know-it-all, I remain skeptical of everything until I do my own thorough research.

There is always a sensible element of any investment fad, and this one also has a large Cyber-Libertarian group as well, that cares nothing about personal gain (I am part of this group, 100% supporting the fall of fiat, even if my coin wallet's value goes to zero dollars...) but the most interesting part is the pure massive hype part, because that is a good indicator of if things are getting out of hand or not. There is literally no way to properly value having your code in an online database like Bitcoin's blockchain. Is it worth $19,000, $1,000,000, $0.50 ? Yes, it could be any of those values, it has been both of the lower amounts, and as a result, it gets compared to Dutch Tulip bulb mania a lot. Moon Lambo is the 1929 equivalent of shoeshine boys offering stock tips. Even if Blockchain is the future, and it doesn't go to zero, it is clearly a massive mania, based purely on the absurd returns going to lucky people for the simple act of never transacting when the market moves ( Hodl ), which although it was great for buying supercars, it actually does not help at all with the adoption of a new currency. when the hype is over, after crypto's dot.bomb, then we can get serious about changing the world. There will be no Moon-lambo once an actual crypto currency becomes full faith and credit in the western world, it will be much like Railroads are today, just a cheap way to get your money from point a to point b, without losing 3 % a year to inflation. No one makes a YouTube song about the fortune they made in Railroad stocks, because its just another company making the world a better place, and their services are just a normal part of western life, even though a primitive tribe of humans might consider a railroad to be an absurdly powerful supertech item.

Redditor for 9 months.
-1 points · 4 months ago

Fair point, they are a vocal minority. Which makes the complaining about them all the more useless.

Blockchain Enthusiast

lol, yeah, true. I’m not gonna make a post complaining about them, no point in fighting it. Simply pointing out the situation to OP if he hasn’t realized the vocal minority != the majority :)

Redditor for 8 months.

This is exactly why a multi-month bear market is needed. These people need to be flushed out.

Altcoiner

Crypto is the Mickey Mouse version of stocks on meth and steroids. A space full of manipulation, scamming and greed.

We are as distant from mass adoption as the sun is from the moon.

2 - 3 years account age. 150 - 300 comment karma.

Ridiculous logic, Wall Street is also full of manipulation scamming and greed and yet people have accepted it as some sort of credible pillar of modern society. The rate of mass adoption is like an accelerating freight train and the few bad actors in the space are like a stalled pickup on the tracks. They have a very minimal effect when it comes to slowing down technological progress.

Lol, less manipulated than the stock market.

i love nuggets

Redditor for 4 months.
1 point · 4 months ago

Me too! Wait, chicken or gold ones? I guess I like both:)

Redditor for 7 months.

Fair statement indeed, this is disgusting. I cannot stand this & definitely not needed in the space. He is more clueless about the technology than people think.. my eyes are still bleeding after viewing. If you want to be positioned well for the future that blockchain will bring, unfollow/unsubscribe from him immediately - plenty more experienced & knowledgeable people to follow, be wise. This technology is the future, not a joke.

His hype will fade, investing in ICOs isnt what it used to be and now that he doesn't even have his spreadsheet publicly available anymore what reason do people have to really follow him? There isn't much real engagement in his content and most people are there just looking for quick money to be made on the next coin.

Most US citizens cant even invest in the ICOs he was in because they dont have dual citizenships. And buying the coins he rates highly after they hit exchanges is most likely not going to be very profitable in this market either.

He basically took the Gary Vee formula of documenting everything you do, but is way less humble about what he does. There will always be a subset of people who follow him based on FOMO, but I see negative sentiment around him growing here and on twitter.

Redditor for 7 months.

Ian Shilliner is getting worse and worse.

The dude is a tool

Redditor for 14 days.

A real tool.

a non useful tool

i got into crypto because of the memes.

i stayed for the underlying technologies and because of the community.

hype is hype. whatever works, man...

Redditor for 5 months.

I agree, in my opinion it looks quite childish and it gives crypto an unprofessional image in general.

Redditor for 8 months.
-1 points · 4 months ago

Crypto is a child's game, most users are children literally, not boomers, doesn't make it bad, they are the future

2 - 3 years account age. 150 - 300 comment karma.

It's a young person's game, not a child's game.

I don't really care if they take it seriously. They have more trust in a small piece of paper with dead presidents painted on them and somethig scribbled in a dead language than in the unbreakable proofs of cryptography. If they are missing out that's their problem.

Redditor for 10 months.

Don't break our hearts. We need hodler, moon, lambo, etc

1 - 2 year account age. 100 - 200 comment karma.

Ian Balina - the most boring man in crypto, his videos are painful to watch, an utter snoozefest if ever there was one . . .

It's 2018, crypto is rising and memes are full swing, this is the way things are.

Value Investor
Moderator of r/CryptoCurrency, speaking officially5 points · 4 months ago

Any comments, especially outside the daily thread that is pretty much just "MOON!", "XYZCOIN $100 EOY", "BUY NOW", "LAMBO" etc will be removed under Rule 5.

If you see any comments like that I strongly advise to report them so we can remove them and punish repeat offenders.

It's also against the rules to post personal info - including your own. So please report users who share the amount of coins they have and their wealth for their own safety at least. Those comments/posts will be removed under Rule 6.

Thank you!

LINK MARINE

Blockchain will change the world, no doubt in my mind this will happen, but all these decemberkiddies got burned so i dont really think ur point is as valid as it was a month ago, dont see allot of lambo posts these days tbh.

Ripple fan

The World Wide Web was the same way in the beginning, don't let the noise detract from the actual value of the underlying work being done. Or you can miss the boat, your choice.

Which influencer? There are thousands of whales and even thousands more posters, bloggers, vloggers, and “high profile”members of communities.

I have no idea who the fuck you’re talking about.

Who?

I'm not being obtuse. I've been in crypto for years and I couldn't tell you who any of the "influencers" are other than Trevon James and I only know him from seeing his name linked with the Bitconnect shit. I'd wager the vast majority of investors aren't making their decisions based on Youtube "influencers".

Redditor for 6 months.

I got into crypto in December, prior to that I had never even heard of 'moon lambo's'. Only learned about those when I came to this sub.

5 - 6 years account age. 300 - 600 comment karma.

Very rarely find myself on Youtube, and then I'm just looking for Weird Al videos.

Elon musk sent a lambo to the moon and everyone takes him quite seriously.

(ps: replace lambo with tesla, same amount of letters and some of them are even the same)

Redditor for 5 months.

The light hearted jokes are meant to be taking as sarcasm. I think it is a good thing to have crypto stand out from stock investing. We want that energy. It thrives off chaos and that is how it should be.

when moon?

It's like wearing torn jeans before they're fashionable. We're just too ahead of our own time. There will be a point in crypto history where moon Lambos philosophy is spoken about in documentaries very much like flower power of the 1960s, just a precursor to the understanding of desired global wealth revolution perhaps.

Redditor for 6 months.

I don't disagree, but if you do your own research and buy coins with working products, valid use cases and strong teams/communities you can insulate yourself from the noise and feel good that your investments will payoff someday.

Redditor for 7 months.

agree if it keeps going like this with all the shit then 90% of the market is going to collapse

Redditor for 8 months.
-1 points · 4 months ago

Hope so

1 - 2 years account age. 200 - 1000 comment karma.

When I first heard about bitcoin in 2012 I thought we are about to change the world for better, then I heard about decentralized organizations all great and fantastic.. Right now I am very disappointed. Crypto is one the most toxic communities out there. Currently, we leave in a pump and dump world, fake announcements, hacks, exit scam, market manipulation, paid shills, moons, lambos. Seriously if you weak it will develop a serious depression and burnout for you in no time. We don't talk about technology any longer. And we all part of this shit, what a fucking shame. Would like to see a community who only speaks about tech, and how we can change the world for better.

And sometimes the greed blinded me a few times and contributed also in a "bad way" shame on me, shame on all of you!

Redditor for 8 months.
1 point · 4 months ago

If he wasn't in the clip miming like a Muppet it would be a bit of a laugh. Cringe worthy!

I have know idea who this "biggest influencer" is. I assume it's a youtube peronsality and tbh very few youtube channels do a good job of covering crypto if you ask me. They just don't mix. All of these ppl are a bad look for the space. Doug Polk you're ok but yeah.

Carlos is making songs?

I've been having a hard time taking money seriously in general, ever since that fella made the song about it causing you more problems as you get more of it.

i never understand why people think bank balance is important. I think % up/down from start capital is way more informative than balance

Comment deleted4 months ago(1 child)
Redditor for 8 months.
1 point · 4 months ago

Yet daily we get "Mcaffe is destroying crypto for reason X" posts.

Lambo Dealer
1 point · 4 months ago

Your first problem is looking on Youtube for things to take seriously.

3 - 4 years account age. 400 - 1000 comment karma.
1 point · 4 months ago

In my mind listening to “influencers” will lead you to Beeeeeconnnnneeeccct!

Redditor for 4 months.
1 point · 4 months ago

Hey hey heyyyyyyyyyyy...these self inflating morons don't reflect on cryptocurrency as a whole.

Redditor for 6 months.
1 point · 4 months ago

I'm a full-time crypto journalist and I don't know who you're referring to.

So either they're not the biggest influencer in the space or I'm not a very good journalist um... some other factor is at play here.

You are whats wrong

Redditor for 8 months.
1 point · 4 months ago

Yeah crypto is just one big meme it's funny but once big businesses starts to make their crypto moves everything will really go to the moon and then stabilize and we all will leave crypto with big stacks and give it to the giants to take it over and the whales will be as small as we are right now

Ethereum fan
1 point · 4 months ago

Have you been to r/Wallstreet bets? It's horrible same mentality

3 - 4 years account age. 200 - 400 comment karma.

When is Moon Lambo ICO?

4 - 5 years account age. 250 - 500 comment karma.
1 point · 4 months ago

crypto needs money coming in for mass adoption. What better way is there to get money than from tools who'd buy into songs like this. They get in ath, they get out atl, money stays for the HODL'r

Redditor for 12 months.
1 point · 4 months ago

Has no one called this guy an idiot for not knowing it's a "Mars Lambo" The moon is weak sauce.

what a noob. ;)

Redditor for 7 months.
1 point · 4 months ago

No idea who you are talking about, I totally ignore that side of cryptocurrency, not the slightest bit interested.

2 - 3 years account age. 300 - 1000 comment karma.
1 point · 4 months ago

The "mooning" and "lamboing" isnt localized to crypto. Might want to venture over to /r/options or /r/wallstreetbets where those phrases, and many other you would be familiar with, are commonly used.

Its less of a sector, and more of an age thing.

I wouldnt listen to anyone singing songs about moon lambos personally. Do your own research on projects and if you believe in the underlying tech and the direction of the project invest in it. Never take anything at face value in crypto land. Everyone is biased in this space , you need to make your own decisions.

1 point · 4 months ago

What if i told you there are no moons and lambos again anytime soon.

He made all his money in one year... If you don’t see why he posts his money then that post isn’t for you. Your not the person he’s reaching out to

Redditor for 6 months.

When moon? 😬

Redditor for 10 months.
1 point · 4 months ago

the biggest influencer in the space is making songs called 'moon lambo'

lol, the biggest influencers in this space aren't posting to youtube or reddit.

Probably the same way people take other things with jokes seriously.

We literally have a post on the front page blaming mtgox for cryptocurrencies woes, even though the OP manipulated the chart to make it look that way. (Notice the January 17th dump doesn't happen on January 17th)

This sub isn't helping crypto

If you get your information or advice from YouTube you are already fucked. I could care less what most people think of crypto. Money will continue to pour into it no matter people's opinions.

1 point · 4 months ago

Lighten up uou killjoys it's just a bit of fun. This is crypto, memes have always been part of the fun.

And Ian does actually provide a lot of very good free content. As for people crying about him showing his blockfolio, we need to get over the stigma of keeping that sort of thing private. He does it to inspire and to be transparent. He's upfront about when he's been paid and his analysis is usually pretty spot on. You guys need to drop the envy it's chilldish.

Feels like anyone who has a following and makes money is always copping a lot of hate online. In my view it's a lot of narrow minded minimum wage types who get angry that people are soing better than them.

Lmaooo IAN BALINA, dude got lucky entered in early. Have you seen his reviews? He barely knows anything.

i read all the comments and i still couldn't figure out who OP is referring to.

nehow, i feel i don't come across much of that type of content but when i do its pretty funny ... like that one where the bitcoin busts through the door and starts beating the altcoins screaming "rally bitch!" and the altcoins like "nooo bitcoin nooo" lmao .... that shit was funnier than moon lambo imo i don't really get moon lambo

Redditor for 8 months.
1 point · 4 months ago

But HODL! HODL! Just HODL and everything will be ok!

/s

Investor
1 point · 4 months ago

I agree 100% about the stupid song, and the idiots who splash social media with the words MOON and LAMBO. It does make us look like a bunch of fools.

However, some of those "Youtubers" you mentioned tried to host an AMA here last week. Their primary host (stereotypical dumbass hot-girl), didn't even know what Nano was. If you put faith into these people without D-ingYOR, you pretty much deserve to lose money.

Then again, who could have predicted this guy: http://goedhartvoordieren.nl/?page=r/CryptoCurrency/comments/82ryay/ive_mapped_the_exact_time_when_money_was/

Collector
1 point · 4 months ago

songs called 'moon lambo'

link?

Not taking crypto seriously?! I’ve got one word for you...

“Bbbiiiitttttccccooonnnnnneeecccctttttt!”

“What are you gonna do?!”

Redditor for 3 months.
1 point · 4 months ago

No idea what you are talking about...how the hell do you think whoever this is is the "biggest influencer"?? LOL

Who cares man it’s all in good fun. It changes nothing about the use cases of block chain technology. Whales pay little if any attention to Reddit other than to manipulate us common folks lol.

The lambo memes have been here since 2010.

They are entertainment, not investment advice. I sometimes get a giggle.

Redditor for 7 months.

Ian banana is an idiot so is everyone on youtube

The official source for CryptoCurrency News, Discussion & Analysis.

r/CryptoCurrency Rules