Posted by
1 year ago
Archived

Jimmy DiResta AMA !!! ask me anything about DIY

My name is jimmy and I make stuff! I am here to share and answer questions about your DIY projects THANK YOU ALL FOR THE LOVE AND SUPPORT I AM OUT FOR NOW! ILL BE CHECKING BACK OVER TIME 143 my videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiEk4xHBbz0hZNIBBpowdYQ

Sort by
Has a cool flair
Moderator of r/DIY, speaking officiallyScore hidden · 1 year ago · Stickied comment · edited 1 year ago

Thanks for coming to talk with us today Jimmy. We had a great time, and we look forward to having you back again soon!

For those just getting here, please note that Mr. DiResta has stopped answering questions for this AMA, so any questions you ask may not be answered. For those curious about who Jimmy is and what work he does, please check out his websites:

Website

YouTube

Twitter

Original Poster10 points · 1 year ago

Thank You I am off for now, thank you for the love & Respect!

Hey Jimmy, We all know David Waelder well but know very little about Willi. How did you guys meet and what is your relationship and back story? Not to pry just interested since he seems like a very important person to you. (perhaps your 1Million collection video. The collection of really awesome people you surround yourself with?) And - Are you going to sell the Diresta Star Key Kit you posted on Instagram?

Original Poster24 points · 1 year ago

willie lives with us . he was homless and we took him in I have know him for 20 years.. in that time he has had various places to live but all not stable.. so since he helpd me so often we took him in and he is now family to us

Original Poster7 points · 1 year ago

yes to the star key I am developing the standard and the process of making 100s

1 more reply

When you have various customer projects, how do you charge? Obviously not the variance in material cost but do you base your labor off of hours? As a custom builder I often struggle with the leaving money on the table. Learning your worth is the hardest part for me. Thanks

Original Poster21 points · 1 year ago

always charge 5 times what your rational mind tells you .. you can always dial it back and end up above where you expected to be

2 more replies

Hi Jimmy, big fan,

Thanks to You, Matthias and Izzy i got the bug and started my maker shop.

As in Europe it's hard to find some of the chemicals by brand name, like Bondo is a polyester resin and i can ask for an alternative at the car shop but other aren't that easy to find out.

Can you name the active ingredient/generic name of the stuff you are using in your videos, or maybe do a Tip video where you give us alternatives or main ingredients of stuff you use. I just want to copy what you do until i build confidence and develop my own style.

All the love and respect, Stefan.

Original Poster5 points · 1 year ago

contact mark at sculp.com he is a chemical genius.. thank you !!

5 points · 1 year ago

I saw Jimmy's video on that guy, and I think it's http://sculpt.com/ with the T.

2 more replies

Does Willy live at the farm full time to watch the animals?

Original Poster28 points · 1 year ago

willie lives with us we took him in 2 years ago .. he has been homeless and we wanted to help him .. he is doing great and he is now in the family

Thanks for being such an awesome human being, the world need more people like you :).

Original Poster3 points · 1 year ago

That is so cool. Good on you and Taylor!

5 points · 1 year ago

Jimmy, what's it like to have grown men spray paint your name all over their clothing and swoon over you like you're a teen heart throb?

Original Poster13 points · 1 year ago

It is nice to know I am connecting to and inspiring the maker with in each of them .. and it is there way of thanking me and it is very sweet and warm

I don't know much about welding, but I see you use a MIG or TIG welder most of the time. Why choose those over stick welding?

Original Poster9 points · 1 year ago

stick welding is typiclay smoky and more for an out door activity .. not sutable for my shop indoors

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply. Love your projects!

3 points · 1 year ago

I recently got an old beaten up butcher block that I'm trying to turn into a desk. How can I plane it down to get rid of some of the oil and grease stains that are deep in the woodgrain. Its too wide for any planer I have access to, and sanding has proven to be less effective than I first thought.

Original Poster10 points · 1 year ago

have you ever seen a nick offerman fine wood working aricticel about how he surfaces the larger slabs .. google it

2 more replies

Jimmy I'd like to send ya a challenge coin from my PD. NYC Environmental PD. What's your policy on dropping it off at your shop or do you prefer mail?

Original Poster9 points · 1 year ago

you can always mail to po box 20270 nyc ny 10009 if you near by try me Thank you

6 points · 1 year ago

i get really disheartened when i go into the workshop to make something and it ends up taking me a week. you, and most other youtubers, make it look so easy and quick.

Original Poster8 points · 1 year ago

I have been at it long time.. and in a video it can be deceptive they also can take long time

3 more replies

5 points · 1 year ago

When are we going to see a proper blacksmithing video from you? You mentioned you wanted to learn more of that, maybe take us (virtually) on the ride? ;D

Original Poster5 points · 1 year ago

yes this summer!!! for me it is an outdoor thing

Can't wait!

awesome!

3 points · 1 year ago

Adam Savage has stated he's completely aware of your role in the maker community. Is there any chance for a collab or something between you guys?

Original Poster4 points · 1 year ago

if I was invited in id go.. we never did meet .

Has a cool flair
2 points · 1 year ago

Do you have any future plans for books, with or without Make as the publisher? Do you find the experience of writing books or chapters of books rewarding in itself, or is it frustrating to have time taken away from being in the shop?

Original Poster8 points · 1 year ago

for me personally making a book is a huge time suck .. I pass on any one that involves me sitting and editing text.. I will likely never make another book.. also almost totally free of profit .. for me ..

Has a cool flair
4 points · 1 year ago

Hey Jimmy, thanks for taking time out of your day to chat with us :) I'm a big fan of your videos; it seems like every time I watch one I learn something new. Thank you for the education and inspiration. Two questions for you:

• In the 62 frames video, when chopping the wood at the miter saw you were holding it at an angle instead of keeping it flat. I know you don't do anything by accident. What's the reasoning there?

• Whether it's grinding or bandsawing or using the lathe, whenever you work with metal it looks like tiny shavings of metal just fly all over the place. Do they ever get into the machinery and short things outs? How do you clean it all up?

Thanks for being awesome man.

Original Poster5 points · 1 year ago

Thank you! I was holding because it was a ruff cut and it was easier to hold and move that way

metal grining is too small to make a short.. but not for landing on the lather and the precision tools.. I try to keep it semi clean ,, and cover the lathe and Bridgeport with tarps

Has a cool flair
1 point · 1 year ago

Great tip with the tarps, hadn't thought about that. Thanks so much!

1 more reply

3 points · 1 year ago

What's is a Diresta? And why is it everywhere?

Original Poster9 points · 1 year ago

my brand and because I can

1 more reply

Hey Jimmy! Had a chance to meet you at the maker faire this year.

How much do you plan before start making something, and are you often ahead or behind the schedule?

Cheers from Brazil! Hope I get to visit your workshop someday! :D

Original Poster4 points · 1 year ago

Thank you!! the design begins the moment I start to talk about it and is always flexable.. my personal style.. I never make hard plans

Thank you !!

Thanks Jimmy, big fan of your work - making things, making videos and teaching!

As a maker/woodworker at heart who spends most of his life in a cubicle, I find myself discouraged because I only get the occasional weekend in the shop. Were there any times in your life when you felt this way, and how did you cope with it?

Original Poster6 points · 1 year ago

yes I have but like a prisoner I kept a vision of the day I was free to keep hope alive .. my big shop for instance

Hi jimmy, I'm a 17 year old woodworker and just started a business. I'm a huge fan.

When building something that you've never built before and have no experience in. How do you approach it? Like figuring out how and planning? Also how do you give a customer a quote on something that you don't know the value of?

Original Poster5 points · 1 year ago

research all of it .. do the math for th ematerials.. and some times make a mock up in mdf to understand the design complications..

Very informative. Will go far for a new business owner

Thanks for your "open resource" position when it comes to teaching/learning and making. At what school do you teach? What is the curriculum? and What age group?

Original Poster3 points · 1 year ago

Thank you!!! 20 yearolds and I teach beginning making clay molding styrene lamp makning book binding vac forming

at nyc school of visual arts

2 points · 1 year ago

Jimmy, I'm a huge fan, you're a huge inspiration.

My question is, who sells better band saw blades. Timber wolf or sawblade.com?

Original Poster7 points · 1 year ago

honestly it depends on how you cut and what you cut.. bandsaw blades are like cnc bits you destroy a 100$ bit or blade in one dumb move... just never buy blades from Sears

Thanks for the response Jimmy! And I don't buy from Sears anyway. I've been using Bosch blades from Lowe's but they're $10 blades and the quality is meh.

1 more reply

Jimmy, i have seen some of you old stuff with your brother, he is hilarious. i know you tried the television thing before with HGTV. I think you need to meet us up Adam Savage and do a One Day Build together. All my questions have been answered, thank you for making great content.

Original Poster3 points · 1 year ago

Thank you! I am a fan of Adam looking forward to meeting him one day

3 points · 1 year ago

I live in an apartment. What's your advise to some one who wants to wood work in a confined environment?

Original Poster3 points · 1 year ago

find a place to work!! maby volunteer at a shop trade for the space.. I like to work outside

4 more replies

Jimmy!!!!!! i love your videos and podcasts so much, will you ever do talks/lectures in the UK/Europe? I would love to meet and listen to you in real life sometime

I would do so if I was invited for sure .. I visited euroupe in the 90s a bunch

How do you keep creative specially when you're stressed or worn out?

Original Poster7 points · 1 year ago

I have 1000's of seeds of ideas in the dome rolling around.. ill be long dead before I get to 20% of em.. timing and environment will dictate what ideas one becomes a reality

That's actually a beautiful statement and way of seeing things! Very inspiring!

Comment deleted1 year ago
Original Poster4 points · 1 year ago

it comes fr every direction ... friends and family all need free stuff!!! I make it all in real time the moment they ask!! semi kidding but I have loads of requests and that helps me with new projects Thank you

Hey Jimmy!

1. Besides the delicious chocolate Jimmy mold, what are some other unique applications you've seen using your famous toy statue? Mine remains unpainted. I wonder if you have any funny/crazy ideas of what you'd like to see come of your toy.

2. Puerto Rico video was really cool. It's great that you featured such a diy superfan, Luis. Looks like you had lots of fun in warm weather.

3. I enjoy your videos and podcast. Keep up the good work! 💚

Original Poster2 points · 1 year ago

Thank you!! pr was great luis is great!.. time sway made a hula doll ... ill make something funny one day soon I have a funny idea to make a puppet like my alter ego

1 more reply

No, I don't answer PM's. Go to modmail.
1 point · 1 year ago

You can only teach ONE skill to someone who's never ever touched anything related to DIY. What skill would that be, and why?

Original Poster6 points · 1 year ago

maybe making thins from paper and glue .. accessible to the person with limited skills

Hey Jimmy. First a thank you note: thanks for teaching me everything I needed to become a maker, sell my stuff and make enough money to move out and get married! My life right now is 100% your fault! lol

And since we need a question: from one teacher to another: what's the most satisfying thing you get from teaching? =)

Original Poster6 points · 1 year ago

thank you!!! most satisfying is helping a student discover their true purpose

2 points · 1 year ago

Hey Jimmy, thanks for all the awesome content! Your Casper bed video inspired me to build my own platform bed and get a Casper so thanks for that. Have you thought about doing pre orders for your icepick? I've been trying to get my hands on one for a while now but they are always out of stock. Also are you planning any more products with the printing press? Thanks again for all the inspiration and quality content.

Original Poster2 points · 1 year ago

Thank you !! yes all of it ill make more picks and prints for sure... prints in the spring .. the printer is outside and the cold not good for the ink

1 point · 1 year ago

Thanks Jimmy, this made my day!

Hey Jimmy!

Quick question - what's the best way to ensure squareness, and exact fits? I've adapted your technique of cutting proud, then trimming back as needed, but always seem to have square issues and gaps in a lot of pieces (no jointer or planer).

Thanks so much for everything you do and show. You are an inspiration every single day. When my days are low, I simply watch one of your vlogs (my favorites btw) or build vids, and my spirits get back up.

Original Poster4 points · 1 year ago

Thank you!!! I learned from nick offermen to split the line.. I am not good at it either but I always try

1 more reply

2 points · 1 year ago

Is the thinker lamp mold still in existence? you should totally auction those!

I have 2 and the original onday ill make more

In your videos, do you have your projects 100% planned out? How much is figured out or made up along the way?

Original Poster6 points · 1 year ago

almost 80% on the fly.. I start with an idea

very cool, thanks for doing this AMA

Original Poster2 points · 1 year ago

Thank you!

You've made both hex and cylindrical ice picks in your videos. Do you prefer one handle shape over the other? If so, why? Thanks for all that you do!

Original Poster4 points · 1 year ago

6 sided will not roll off the table .. so it is the winner ThankYou

Has a cool flair
1 point · 1 year ago

You've done a bunch of projects over the years. A lot of the videos that stick out in my memory have been things like bar carts and furniture with drawers etc. You've got a CNC now, have you considered putting your metalworking skills to use in building your own? Not necessarily all of the electronic parts, but maybe fabricating the frame/rails to be able to route a full sheet of plywood for example? How do you see technology like hobby-level CNC and 3d printing changing the maker movement?

Original Poster3 points · 1 year ago

likely ill never make my own cnc.. I think there will be a huge up tick in innovation .. with the younger generation making and cnc their ideas and personal products.. and robotics .. is is all exciting to see this and be involved

What was your favourite and least favourite projects on both dirty money and hammered?

Original Poster4 points · 1 year ago

fav maby the coffee bench the one with legs and hands.. .. on dirty money the show jumped the shark when some uncreative executive had the idea for us to make a pogo sitck.. we wanted to quit the show over this one episode

Wow, that's exactly my fav on that show! =D But i kinda liked the storyline on the pogostick tho lol At least it was entertaining to watch =D

Original Poster5 points · 1 year ago

when we had no choice.. we did our best to have fun with it and we did enjoy it.. but that episode embodies the failure of TV in genral uncreative people making creative decisions

Hey Jimmy, thanks for all the great videos.

How long does it take you to plan out a project, like the incredible Fireman's axe? Do you just see the axe head and it pops into your mind fully formed and then you just make that happen?

I've only recently started making stuff, just woodworking so far. Thanks for all the tips videos, they're great resources.

Oh, and what did you think of that Rose Engine Lathe I sent you a link to on twitter? That seems like the perfect tool for you to find and restore.

Original Poster3 points · 1 year ago

love that lathe!!!! mostly all my stuff is spontaneous .. I make plans in real time thank you!

Do you have any long-term plans for that gas station once you're done with it? It's really a gorgeous building I'd love to see it being used.

Original Poster2 points · 1 year ago

I can olny rent so maybe a 5 year.. I ll make our show room me and taylor

Ooh that would be so great!!!

1 point · 1 year ago

I love your videos, and have a few questions about them.

How many hours do you spend editing a video?

You mentioned using iMovie for a while in the making it podcast, what ultimately made you switch from imovie?

What cameras are you currently using?

Original Poster3 points · 1 year ago

gopros Nikon 7100 and iMovie is all I do .... little cannon some times vixia mini x... final cut once in a long while... edit every night movinging along any edit in the system thank you!

Comment deleted1 year ago
Original Poster5 points · 1 year ago

surface thickness planer.. you can edge with hand tools or table saw

You're a collector of collections (like me). Which collections do you think you'll probably be starting in the future?

Original Poster5 points · 1 year ago

antique trucks! and Harleys .. if I had the room ..

Jimmy, love your content! No question, just wanted to say I really appreciate you giving people inspiration, including me.

Original Poster5 points · 1 year ago

Thank you!!!

Comment deleted1 year ago
Original Poster3 points · 1 year ago

Thank you! no tats.. not for me...in the apartment there is a logo on the vespa in the kitchen and the computer I am typing on.. so 2

1 point · 1 year ago

Hi Jimmy. Love your stuff, just want to say that you're pretty inspirational. I sent you a tweet the other day about a steering wheel project, still want to see you tackle that!

Original Poster3 points · 1 year ago

I did see thet very coo!! one day ill do one thank u!

Finally got around to ordering an ice pick from the last batch. Love the smell of the Tap Magic cutting lube. Give a heads up when you're back in Pittsburgh. I'll make more Diresta logo Chocolates.

Thank you!!!!

2 more replies

What's your favorite Maker Faire? West/East/Atlanta/etc?

Original Poster3 points · 1 year ago

San Fran is great bc it has burning man vibe

1 point · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

If you had to build a sign of who you voted for in the 2017 presidential election , what would the sign say? And what do you consider the most versatile tool in your shop?

"free education for all"

bandsaw

😉

1 point · 1 year ago

Hey Jimmy do you know why today sucked...... There was no Making It Podcast. Thanks for all you do Jimmy ,
Utkan (Master of None)

Original Poster3 points · 1 year ago

sorry brother!!! we had to take personal week thank you !!

just wanted to say hi Jimmy, i love your videos. i like the direction you're going with the vlog. i snapchatted you a few times and you replied, not anymore though, you must get a million different messages a day! i love the podcast too, keep up the good work. good luck in the new shop. i'd love to come see your NYC shop, i don't think i'll ever get a chance now (i'm from ireland)

Original Poster2 points · 1 year ago

Thank you snapchat changed and take too long to load.. and now I do instgram and vlog thank you for the support!!

1 point · 1 year ago

When are the ice picks coming back for sale?

Original Poster4 points · 1 year ago

Monday 80 new ones I made going up

Awesome! Thanks. I can't wait to scoop one up

How can I encourage my teenage students to become makers?

Original Poster3 points · 1 year ago

make cool things you know they would want and give to other kids.. so they make for themselves

-10 points · 1 year ago

Why you gotta put your name all over everything? Comes off as really pretentious.

Let your skill speak for itself.

Original Poster10 points · 1 year ago

I have had over 900 re uploads by other peole and in about half of them people re brand and edit the video ...the very reason all the logos appear all over the shop.. they cannot be edited out.. if I seem pretentious you need to look with in yourself as to why you feel this way.. thank you

6 points · 1 year ago

thats a fair reason, sucks that people do that.

1 more reply

You have a mastery of many skills. As you know, failure is an important part of learning. Can you tell us about any projects where you gave up, or learned through failure? Do you still have any struggles?

Original Poster2 points · 1 year ago

I did a big project of steel and glass.. it was far reaching over my space capabilities and made major estimate errors.. it is always looming when I make up a new estimate .. learnd the hard way

Has a cool flair
1 point · 1 year ago

The answer may be the same, but related question. What's the project you most wish you could go back and redo? What would you change about it?

Original Poster3 points · 1 year ago

haha id eliminate it from my memory like the jim carry movie!

1 point · 1 year ago

Hey Jimmy! Thanks for all the videos and podcasts.

I've noticed you're working on a post frame project with Kyle/RR Buildings, and then you have the gas station thing going on. What's your plan for the upstate shop? What makes you excited about the move?

Original Poster2 points · 1 year ago

I need space and is all goes as oplanned ill way more then I need!! and I am happy abbou tthis

1 point · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

I know someone that took over a garage adjacent to their building and it's a fantastic work space. The garage bays, air lines, super smooth floors, etc etc.

I was able to turn it into a temp work space for when I have a project, and it's phenomenal. Using the lifts for heavier materials, etc etc.

Edit: Also being able to back straight into the garage for loading/unloading! Using the hydraulics to lift to the bed level and just push in.

What was the best diy/maker tip/trick/advice anyone's ever given you?

"Make it undeniable" Barry Katz

Hey Jimmy!

I know it’s been a while, but when are we finally going to do that huge project we keep talking about? I understand you keep getting busy, and between upstate and work and such but,… Grandma and all. She was just really looking forward to it. Things being the way they are, and the farm with the bad crop these last few years… She really just needs the pick me up.

Thanks again, You have no idea how much this means to all of us here.

Original Poster2 points · 1 year ago

what project? email me xo

Love you too!

1 point · 1 year ago

How do you keep all your projects organized and on time?

Original Poster2 points · 1 year ago

I am committed to making every thing with some time to spare.. just developed my work ethic that way over years..

1 point · 1 year ago

What year's your Silverado Jimmy? Any issues with it?

Original Poster2 points · 1 year ago

2013 I love it .. just bit hard on the gas.. eats more more then the tundra

1 point · 1 year ago

Awesome, I have an '07. I'm a welder/cabinet maker and I beat the life out of my truck and it just smiles and keeps going. Cheers

4 more replies

Comment deleted1 year ago
Original Poster4 points · 1 year ago

we drove to get the canoes.. we meet the week before.. and 2 days in a car was our bonding we had great time getting to know each other

1 more reply

Saw your post on instagram. Logged into my old account just to say... I love you.

Original Poster2 points · 1 year ago

Thank you !!! 143

Hey Jimmy! That Geeksmithing guy is pretty awesome, what do you think of him? :P

Original Poster1 point · 1 year ago

I love him ;-)

PM me penguin pics
3 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

AMA Reminder:

Website

YouTube

Twitter

hey jimmy - long time fan love the videos. how big is the gas station - is it as big as the shop in the city? if the deal works out are you going to do a series of videos on the renovation or features on the station in the vlog?

another quick question - I remember you & david welder talking about a collaboration with casey neistat - do you think this would ever happen? any idea what you would collaborate on?

Original Poster7 points · 1 year ago

gas station much larger then the city .. by 1500 feet or more .. casey is the man on youtube id love to get together with him.. he is a mile away. he never answers my emails ..

Write him a letter instead! He seems to like those more. Also have you seen this video where me meets Spike Jones? Maybe if you called him a douchebag it would help :P

thanks Jimmy - hope the gas station works out

2 more replies

Hey Jimmy, what is your favorite glue gun? And are you ever going to have any guests on the Making It podcast?

Hi Jimmy, I'm probably too late to the party, just wanted to say you're a big inspiration, love your no bullshit approach to things. I got a bunch of questions, here's three:

What made you initially start to do youtube videos and what do you enjoy about making them?

Who are your favorite fellow makers right now/Who do you admire?

Any advice for people who want to make a living making things without having it become a daily grind for cash with no passion?

Original Poster1 point · 1 year ago

thank you ! 1 because tv was a hassle. 2 my community.. matthisas .. bob.. few knife maker:s sorell 3 it will always be a balance . some times the grind pays lots of money.

Jimmy, You often speed up your videos for obvious practical reasons. I imagine you put a fair amount of thought into the creative aspects of your videos to make them interesting. Have you ever thought of using slow motion for any parts of your videos to add another creative element? Or are there any other video elements, like your drone usage, you look forward to learning and/or applying in the future? 👍🏻

Original Poster1 point · 1 year ago

thank you I often use slo mo.. drone is also fun .. vo is used more often.. and the daily stuff is fun

I'm trying real hard to think of a reason why I really really need to buy a drone :P

1 point · 1 year ago

Hi Jimmy! First of all, thank you so much for sharing all your work with us and for being such an inspiration!

I've got one question: Do you think you'll ever do another TV show (like Dirty Money) again? If so, what would you like the show to look like?

Thanks in advance, cheers!

What's your favorite knife?

Hi Jimmy, where do you get your glasses? I know you talked about it in one video, but couldn't find the site.

Original Poster1 point · 1 year ago

I think it is " I can see "

3 more replies

hey jimmy, have you worked with nick offerman in the shop and if yes what was it like to work with him

Original Poster1 point · 1 year ago

yes nick Is a straightforward working guy loves good results sharing ideas and skills and good music to work with

All things related to doing, building, fixing things on your own. **Do it yourself!**

r/DIY Rules
Spam (automated advertisement, not human)
Self promotion (some is allowed, see guidelines)
Incomplete tutorial (lacks photos or text process)
Incomplete project (ongoing/part 1 of x)
Off Topic (crafting/software/hairstyle etc)
Basic research/getting started question