Archived

Does anyone know how to dissolve gelatins? I poured it down the drain without thinking and it has set and clogged the kitchen sink.

If I put a skewer stick through into the catchment area I can feel the thick jelly mound.

I poured the powder down the drain in a hurry because I needed the little container it was in and when I saw the sink later it was all clogged up.

When cooking/baking, hot water murders anything held together with gelatin. Don't see why it would behave differently in your sink.

And a blow dryer on the P trap will help.

If boiling water doesn't work, drain cleaner should dissolve the proteins. You could also get a snake from your local home improvement store, which could break it up, but that will be a laborious process.

Or just bleach. Gelatin is a protein mass; bleach destroys proteins.

Not boiling water if PVC pipes. Hot tap water should do the trick if the hell is not to thick....

If it's in the P-trap, just remove the trap and clean it out...

Agreed. If it's further down, get a drain auger and run it.

You'll have to make a DC 12 Strength check to escape the gelatin.

This isn’t dndiy 😜

Did you make that up just now?

Edit: r/dndiy shortcut for those on mobile.

It’s an actual sub

WOW! (Wait, that's a different system...) That's too funny.

I cannot take credit it was my husbands joke haha (because he frequents the sub)

I would set up some gelatin in a pan and run tests. If the drain is clogged, it will a pain to remove solutions that don’t work.

hot water from the tap, not boiling water

Kiwifruit contains an enzyme that dissolves gelatin; pineapple too I think.

Caustic soda will probably work. Or like someone else said get an Auger. If you don't have one of those maybe take apart a hanger and see if you can make your way through.

Boiling water would loosen it up I think.

Almost boiled water pourned ontop of dishwasher soap put down the drain first could have a chance if making life easy. Try to plunge it after letting it sit for a few minutes before it cools. If it moves then repeat. If not, auger and play. The sud free soap will help with that too.

something like this https://www.amazon.com/Cooper-GTV-Remover-Cleaner-Cleaning/dp/B073GTXVM5/ and hot water. wally world, home depot, lowes all have similar tools.

Do Not use boiling water on PVC pipes. They are not rated for that much heat.

What do I do with the boiling water when I make pasta?

It will pour through the drain no problem. You are not pouring boiling water onto a clog that is not allowing the sink to drain, a situation where the boiling water will sit in the drain pipe.

Makes sense. I was genuinely curious if it was hurting my pipes.

Boiling water will just soften PVC slightly. I have used boiling water to soften it and stretch or compress it as required. It takes some effort to move it if heated to 212. It does not collapse from its own weight.

Definitely not going to hurt the pipes unless the boiling/nearly boiling water stay in the pipes for awhile.

Boiling water won't do anything significant to the PVC; the 140°F limit (for sch40) is for pressure rating; and drains aren't pressurized; unless OP pours a 55 Gal drum full of boiling water down the drain, the heat won't be in place long enough to effect the PVC.

Even still, many places are now requiring CPVC to be used in place of PVC where hot water is present as CPVC is rated to 200°F. I don't know if those requirements have made it to residential applications, but if your pipes are grey or yellowish (opposed to bright white); they're probably CPVC.

From Lowes description of PCV P-trap:

PVC fittings are for drain, waste and vent purposes. They are used in gravity-fed waste elimination systems and are for Non-Pressure systems where temperatures will not exceed 140° F. PVC is lightweight and easy to install. They require no special tools for cutting, and be installed with solvent cementing, threading, flanging, and roll-grooved joining. Conforms to meet standards: ASTM D 1784, ASTM D 2665, ASTM D 3311 and NSF 14 Used to prevent sewer gas from entering the building/room Not intended for pressure use Maximum working temperature of 140 degrees Fahrenheit White fittings used in sanitary drain, waste, and vent (DWV), sewer and storm drainage applications Require no special tools for cutting and to be installed with solvent cement

Note it says Non-Pressure systems where temperatures will not exceed 140° F

True, but that is more geared towards your hot water lines, where it is constantly subjected to that temperature. Pouring boiling water down a drain is fine, although I still run cold water down at the same time.

1 point · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

The gelatin should dissolve in water. Warming the gelatin to around 35C/100F should melt it.

If warm/hot water doesn’t work, the gelatin probably isn’t the source of the clog.

You could try to make a baking soda and vinegar solution, put it down the drain and hope that works. If not, you can repeat that with the addition of some boiling water. Hope this helps, I had the same issue, previously where my sister poured out her unused jello and the same thing happened. Hope this helps you out!

-5 points · 6 months ago(0 children)
pro commenter

It just takes longer to set with cold water.

The water doesn’t need to be boiling. I suspect the reason jello instructions have you boiling water and mixing together cold and hot water is that it is easier than carefully heating the mix with a thermometer.

The gelatin industry’s standard process for testing gelatin strength (Bloom test) actually has you heating the mix to 60C, and keeping it below 65C which is way less than boiling.

All things related to doing, building, fixing things on your own. **Do it yourself!**

r/DIY Rules
Spam (automated advertisement, not human)
Self promotion (some is allowed, see guidelines)
Incomplete tutorial (lacks photos or text process)
Incomplete project (ongoing/part 1 of x)
Off Topic (crafting/software/hairstyle etc)
Basic research/getting started question