Does anyone else get looks from the pharmacy staff for picking up almost any prescription?

I'm pretty sure a lady at my pharmacy thinks I'm the worst person on earth. It all started when I got a small script of Percocet after a neck procedure. I had one refill. When it was time I went to pick it up and they said I couldn't until the next day. The next day, same thing. And if you can believe it, the next day they did it AGAIN. Each time it was someone different so I had to explain that "someone else told me it would be ready today". It looked like the last lady I talked to saw a note on my profile or something and looked at me like I was dirty. Today they put in too few Clonazepam and I had to tell that same lady there were supposed to be more. She stared at me, even after verifying with the pharmacist that I was right. I think I'll change to the old family-owned local pharmacy to avoid this. (and to avoid being put on a list or something for other people's errors)

Sort by

Sounds like that lady is a straight up bitch. And you should go back to your mom and pop pharmacy for sure. Independent pharmacies are so much better for just about everything. And they won't give you the run around with that next day, nope next day, nope next day bullshit.

If you are consistently trying to get controlled substances filled early, you will be on the radar at any pharmacy though.

Agreed. I work at a pharmacy and I feel like people think im judging them for what they're picking up but really I don't at all. Sounds like you're just going to a shitty pharmacy.

6 points · 1 month ago

Sounds a bit weird. If it were me on life saving meds i might wanna pick it up early too incase theres some delay and i could die lmao.

It's only for controls and narcotics. Actual life saving meds like insulin or keppra for seizures are not controls and can be filled as early as you want. Your insurance won't cover it if it's real early but you can still fill it without insurance.

Painkillers are life saving. As the war on opioids picks up, chronic pain patients are getting punished for being sick, getting denied the medicine they need to function, and to support themselves. As more people live in pain, more people decide it'd be better not to live at all.

66 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

One time I was trying to pick up my addy script with my friend because we were hanging out and they said, "you can't being a 3rd party to fill a prescription." Another time, same pharmacy they tried to ID me for trying to buy rubbing alcohol. Same pharmacy, they told my brother to "get out" because he tried to fill a codeine script.

That's ridiculous. Sometimes when I'm to sick to go to the pharmacy I send my mom/ boyfriend / friend with my id and they can pick up my narcotic meds without me.

Original Poster19 points · 1 month ago

Anytime I have to pickup pain meds I send my wife to avoid the looks. I feel ya

The worst for me is going to the er. I'm a young looking female with yellow hair and tattoos. But I have serious pain issues and even in my file it says "if littletrashpanda comes in for resetting of joint administer 3mg dilaudid" and I still get so much shit from the er doctors. Even if I don't ask for pain medicine. I'll be sitting there with an obvious dislocated knee cap and they try and make it out that im drug seeking

Comment deleted1 month ago(1 child)

I have Ehlers Danlos syndrome. So my joints dislocate easily.

Yeah the CVS pharmacists near me are fucking assholes when I pick up my Ativan or addies. I go to the grocery store pharmacy now and they're so much nicer. I caught then talking shit on the person before me in line once too who was picking up his subs. The guy is obviously trying to get\stay clean yeah let's make him feel like a scumbag so he gets shit off the street instead at least he won't be looked down on.

That’s so gross. It’s strange how those pharmacies will give the runaround to sub patients but won’t bat an eye to filling Vicodin. They treat sub patients as lower than dirt. Saying they’re out, saying it can’t be filled for serval days, etc.

Yeah I just don't get it. Those people are just trying to live and get by just like everyone else. What happened to compassion for other human beings.

That's so sad. Reading things like this make me feel super self-conscious when going into the pharmacy nowadays. I also get subs and one time I had a small prescription for 8 pills when i had enough money for 4 I went to grab them and when i got home i noticed there was 8 pills in the bottle. I checked the label and it was for 4. I only paid for 4 too so they obviously made a mistake. I thought about what to do. A little part of me wanted to just keep them and not say anything. Especially since a specific tech is always a "b" word to me for no reason. A bigger part of me thought i should call and let the pharmacy know though. So i called and asked what i should do since i only paid for 4 and had all 8. They said i could come in and pay for the other 4 when I get a chance. When i went to pay they had written on my paper "honest lady" with a smiley face. Later on i ended up leaving that pharm because they still treated me badly even after that incident. No early fills, always get if not my whole script half my script instead of small amounts at a time like other people who go there. I'm respectful and fill my children's and families prescriptions there too. I never show up demanding my meds now I understand they're busy and try to give a few hours before i go to pick up. Sometimes i feel like no matter what it's pharmacists against customers. Like they really hate people. That's easy to see by some of the things they rant about. Silly things. Small things. Or issues with one person on a certain medication then means anybody on that medication is bad or difficult.

Yeah it is sad. I work at a dentist office and I do everything in my power to not make people feel judged or self conscious. I can't imagine not being that way that's why I got into the field. It's just as much a part of my job to be empathetic as all the other parts, just like it's theirs.

Why the fuck do people become pharmacists if they hate drug use

33 points · 1 month ago

I take a name brand controlled release form of Ritalin, I have a script for 30 every 30 days. Its a really expensive drug that has to be special ordered (luckily my prescription coverage is ok). The pharmacists are always acting like dicks because I make them fill out a form to order medication for my “fake” condition. All the techs stare as well, idk wtf their problem is.

Geez they are not qualified to decide what’s “fake” or not.

I get that vibe when I go. Young guy getting Refills on Xanax, Paroxetine and now a mood stabilizer. Maybe I’m just being paranoid but I get that feeling sometimes.

Maybe that's what the drugs are for ;)

Wish they thought of it like that lol

-14 points · 1 month ago(2 children)

But I'm not selling drugs nor am I abusing anything so why the assumption?

I was treated like this, and my ma who has fucking full body cancer always got treated like a junkie pice of shit for needed pain meds.. got that pharmacist fired from there because she had no right to treat the customers like junkies and judging them. Fucking bitch can't believe she'd even get ino thst practice if you think people who take certain meds are all junkies

Yeah this is what I think too. What happened to their compassion for fellow human beings? I know they have a code of ethics but why do they need to make me feel like a degenerate for filling a script that I need that my doc prescribed to me? Like who cares if I have an anxiety attack that leaves me panicking with tunnel vision I don't need that lorazepam it's just to get high off of. Some of them should've gone into the police force instead.

Well really shouldn't point be that even if you are a junkie, you shouldn't have to be discriminated against? It's funny how the laws in most states allow OTC sale of syringes, which would cut back on disease transmission and over all public health, yet, most pharmacies refuse to sell them to you if they have even the slightest inkling that you won't use them for legitimate reasons.

Interestingly enough, I find you don't really get too much in the way of dirty looks for getting suboxone, which is given pretty much exclusively to actual "junkies" (opiate aficionados, addicts). Probably because they assume you can't get high on it. Which is usually the case.

Comment deleted1 month ago(1 child)

No I mean I have gotten those looks before over that. Especially when I was getting ritalin and subs at the same time. Still I feel like it's less than with something like oxy.

Sorry to hear that

20 points · 1 month ago

I live in a pretty meth heavy area, so any health professional treats everyone like a junkie. I'd go to the dr, they'd refuse medicine because they're worried I'm trying to score. You go to the pharmacy, and it's just a lot of judgmental sideways glances. Like yes Sharon, I'm trying to OD on a slightly stronger version of Ibuprofen

-9 points · 1 month ago(1 child)
3 points · 1 month ago

Its just a throwaway example for the way they treat the general public in my area

The pharmacist at my local rite aid always treated me like a drug addict when I picked up my klonopin. Really snotty attitude. I don’t think she liked that my doctor was very generous with my benzo scripts, but fuck her.

I ended up switching my shit to cvs because of this.

79 points · 1 month ago

Why do pharmacists think they know better than the doctor/psych prescribing you them? Were they the ones who sat with you for days assessing your physical and mental health? Seriously, your job is to hand me a pill bottle, stop acting like superman trying to save all the addicts. This shit fucks with people who actually need it like you.

Pharmacist are under a lot of pressure to check and make sure controlled substances are being filled properly, and are being “controlled”. Doctors/psychs are not held accountable for a prescription being filled too early, the Pharmacist is. They can face very heavy penalties and even loose their job. This makes pharmacist very reluctant on filling any controlled substance prescriptions. I have even heard of pharmacists just skipping over controlled prescriptions to fill “safer prescriptions”. This is very backwards and I know it creates a lot of frustration when trying to get your prescription filled, but pharmacists work very hard for their degrees, and don’t want to risk their lively hood on filling a prescription early without a direct note from the doctor saying it can be filled early. Source: Mother is hard working pharmacist who struggles with this daily.

Original Poster12 points · 1 month ago

Like Billynabs said, it wasn't the pharmacist just the techs. The pharmacist was super friendly and quick to correct the amount when I pointed out the error. My experiences talking to pharmacists have always been positive so far.

Am pharmacist. It's this. However, I have worked with pharmacists and techs who make blanket policies that do not exist at the corporate level (if it's a chain.) I had a poor lady come in to get a refill on her Soma, and under CA law you can get partials on controls as long as it's documented. The lead tech and head pharmacist refused, saying "no partials" on controls.

If you're getting your meds legally, I don't care. I didn't go to school to play police or judge.

Sounds like it wasn't the pharmacist. It was a pharmacy tech. These people are just like store clerks. There is absolutely no reason for them to give any looks to anyone.

they are trying to make their jobs interesting. Handing out pill bottles gets boring so they try to act like heroes saving the "junkies"

I'm only on an antidepressant (I'm a young female, petite and very non threatening in appearance) but I recently changed to a pharmacy closer to my new home and I swear the pharmacy tech was the weirdest lady ever. Despite acknowledging I was there it seemed to take her forever to say hello (and she was just standing there, wasn't like she was busy...) I couldn't tell if she was just socially awkward or actually sizing me up.

That job is super draining, it’s like retail with the added bonus of being able to kill people and complying with tight codes. She was probably just hating life during a long shift.

Go to a new pharmacy. That shouldn’t be happening.

Sounds like a plan. They themselves might be dirty. Maybe they're stealing shit.

Currently at the pharmacy picking up Norco, morphine, and klonapin. But they all know me here as iv been using this pharmacy for years and I have bright yellow hair. Whenever I come in they greet me by name. I'm usually in here 3 or 4 times a month

Original Poster5 points · 1 month ago

I never knew so many other people have similar experiences. This is nice to hear. I'm definitely changing to the cool oldschool-looking pharmacy that also serves ice cream at a bar. I'll have a blast there.

My mom said the pharmacist was looking in the pill bags for her insulin and my mother had to explain that it was in the fridge. The lady wouldn't listen and guess where it was? The fridge. Also, I suggest calling before going up there, I always do because it isn't always ready on time.

I don't think it was the pharmacist that was looking in the wrong place... Probably just the med tech.

Maybe so.

That's what you get in retail pharmacy! I've worked at a home-town pharmacy and we've won "Best Pharmacy" in our county for 10 years now running (I'm not sure what merit the award really has, but they ask the citizens)

The people love us because we're friendly and like to explain/be as helpful as possible without being condescending. I will always encourage people to stray away from massive chain pharmacies (especially Rite-Aid) unless they have a specific brand you need. And even then, if you ask your pharmacist, chances are they can special order the brand you need.

Right. At various times I've used the needle. Went to rite aid once because the family pharmacy was closed, had to show ID and literally get put on a list. The small pharmacy I'm sure knows what's up but are always polite and helpful anyway. Also they don't make me sure ID or go on a list.

Rite-Aid for the Teva divas

I pick up 7 prescriptions a month, including Adderall (twice the max recommended daily dose!), Klonopin, Xanax, Ambien, 2 mood stabilizers and an antipsychotic. I'm only 22. It constantly feels like they think I'm playing the system or something, when really, I take them all legitimately. Besides that, it's not like I wrote the scripts or something.

dude that's insane, surely it can't be healthy to mix benzos and adderall daily.

I'm certain it's not. I consider this a transition phase, not a permanent solution...just doing whatever I need to do to make life livable until I can really fix things in therapy, etc.

What are the mood stabilizers and antipsychotic? What are they for?

I take an antipsychotic called ziprasidone, more as a sleep med than a true antipsychotic because it wears off within 10-12 hours. I like it but, I see how they got their reputation as evil pacifying drugs for doctors to use on patients who are acting out.

Probably smart of your doctor to have you on amp and an antipsychotic at the same time, they kind of balance out. I used to be prescribed 60mg of IR adderall a day (I've taken basically all the other ADHD drugs as well, medically).

The thing is, they were never prescribed to “balance each other out.” I have conditions specifically indicating each type of drug. I take Lamictal, Seroquel XR, and lithium for bipolar disorder. The rest I mentioned, as you can probably ascertain, are for anxiety, insomnia, etc.

I'm quite sure they weren't. But still, that happens to be a convenient interaction of having both at the same time.

Yup. I'm a dad as well and I come in with my kid. Get point blank refused, kept getting lied to by staff among other things regularly in different pharmacies. Shaved my head and trimmed down the beard and the issue is gone, but I'm pretty pissed off that I can't go fuzzy without being seen as a public menace.... Like come jeez...

Even if you were a drug addict, that's none of their fucking business. It's their job to have your meds for you on time when you need them, as long as a doctor tells them to. It's not their choice who DESERVES their medication, and the fact that they seem to think otherwise is just sickening. That's the doctor's decision, and I'm pretty sure the stupid pharmacist lady who just grabs pill bottles all day doesn't know more about your condition than the actual people you went to seek help from.

This is just kind of related to the subject but I've wanted to tell this story for a while, sorry.

A while back my wife asked me if I could go pick up her sleeping pills (not sure what they're called) for her. I said sure and decided to run some other errands while I was out. So off I went, with maybe two other stops before I hit the pharmacy. I walk up to the counter and ask if I can pick up some sleeping pills, and the lady gave me the weirdest look. But I got the pills, and went back home. Then I realized that I was wearing a t-shirt that said "Say no to life" (I know, I'm so edgy) and was carrying a bag that very visibly contained several bottles of hard liquor. Kinda surprised she let me buy the pills.

Pharmacy techs can be such thieves. They routinely help themselves to pain relief out of my ex's prescription. She doesn't want to count in front of them. I'm suggesting we weigh a full bottle and then just bring a scale when one of us picks it up.

You're allowed to ask the pharmacist to count it in front of you on camera (assuming they have cameras)

They won't give you grief? We're talking 240 pills each 30 days.

Depends on the pharmacist. If its somewhere you've been going to a while (like years) the pharmacist will probably be aware of your profile/condition and won't hesitate to help you out. If you've been hopping around to find the right place you might get more glances. As others have said, small independent pharmacies are more likely to treat you better. Honestly, 240 pills for 30 days of anything is a lot, and if it's for a control it's no surprise the technicians want to quadruple check it. Some people are just prejudiced assholes going about it.

Neither of us mind them being sticklers about exact time for a refill and double checking on who picks it up, it's the sometimes missing several pills that's bothersome. She sees a pain management specialist and that doctor is of course super strict and she has an exact amount she's allowed to take per day. So when she discovers she's been shorted it causes real difficulty with breakthrough pain and withdrawl symptoms.

Thanks for the tips! Wish there were still smaller pharmacies around here, but it seems to be CVS, RiteAId, Walgreens and Costco. I actually use a pharmacy downtown that delivers (I don't get anything fun that anyone would want to steal).

Missing pills is sus, especially if its been multiple times. Ask for the pharmacist and mention it to them, they don't fuck around with missing pills. Also of those options costco is probably going to be the friendliest just because you have to pay for the membership which helps keep some shady people out.

Thanks.

Write a letter or email to the manager or Highest staff member you can get ahold of explain to them this and let them know they lost your business

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

I may do that. Hopefully it can help people in the future to feel less judged when picking up meds.

Im so happy any time I just need antibiotics. Cant get high off these Bitch, gimme twenty

From all the meds I was prescribed over the course of 6 months, some of the meds having street value, I got weird looks pretty much every time I went for refills. I made it worse last winter where I asked for otc cough syrup, and I blindly fell for the "let's clean up your file"

Since then I get weird looks every time I refill, klonopin being one of the scripts

What do you mean let’s clean up your file?

Went through my file and deleted scripts who weren't needed anymore (seroquel, lyrica, bunch of other stuff)

Soooo fucking rude. I was paranoid this would happen when I picked up a norco script from CVS for an injury but luckily i just got a slightly bad attitude from them (I'm 20s and the pharmacists looked young too)

Yeah. I picked up a private prescription from a local pharmacy on Monday. They’d never seen a private prescription and they all passed it around. Making me feel like a criminal looking at everything so carefully and giving me funny looks. They then had to ring the doctor and confirm it was legit. Took an hour to pick up a simple prescription.

Comment deleted1 month ago(2 children)

Sounds like they’re in the UK, where they have NHS scripts from Doctors on the NHS (National Health Service), who you don’t have to pay to see, then there are private doctors who of course, write private prescriptions, who you do pay to see. Private doctors will usually work with you much better then NHS doctors.

2 points · 1 month ago

yeah it's a non NHS prescription. You have to pay to be seen privately, rich people use private doctors a lot but for us common proles it is not so likely. I think Americans get private scripts over here because the NHS will not prescribe a lot of US drugs.

I've waited an hour to pick up a non narcotic NHS prescription though, it is fairly common. The pharmacy staff say this will take an hour, yeah an hour of standing behind the back chatting shite

What is a private prescription?

Please consider reporting them as well.

I get this kind of treatment from almost every drug store/pharmacy I go to, even when I'm not there to fill out a prescription. They stare at what I'm buying, and glare at me when ringing it up.

I hate that shit. I was buying laxatives once and the lady asked for my id then glared at me while i checked out

I absolutely hate having to pick up my pain medication. If possible I’ll send someone to drop it off and pick it up because of the way I’ve been treated on numerous occasions. It’s mainly been Walgreens that has treated me like a druggie or like I was doing something illegal. I’ve gone without my medication till someone can pick it up because my anxiety gets so bad thinking about previous experiences.

Describe what your appearance is like ? And No, I'm picking up anti depressants. No narcotics

I always go to the Kroger pharmacies. They've been nice to me for the past couple years, and they don't have a problem with me filling 2 days early every time. I don't abuse the meds, but I sure as hell don't want to drive into town on the weekends when 30 days hits. Recently, I had to change to Walgreens (moved to a new city and in a limbo till I find a new psych or GP), and this girl called out really loud in a busy pharmacy, "DO WE HAVE 60MG OF VYVANSE AND 10MG OF ADDERALL!" She knew damn well that they did, but she just wanted to let everyone know what kind of patient I was. I don't care that I'm on the meds, but at the end of the day you have to respect a patient's privacy. Heck, I worked at Walgreens for two years, and I'd still drive to Kroger across town just to fill them there.

Ignore I'm getting them legally

You should see the looks when asking for empty capsules

Yeah when I used big pharma My wife and I would always get, let me see if we have that in stock! It was annoying!

Went back to small hometown pharma, much much happier

Wait for them to finish work and show them what happens when they fuck with you

Fucking customs in Croatia woke me up on a night train at about 2 am, found a strip of Xanax and because I couldn't produce a prescription there and then hauled me off the train and dumped me in a holding cell.

They went through all my luggage, loudly yelling at me throughout, and because they couldn't find anything except one tramadol they extorted about four hundred euros from me at a bank. Gangster fucks. I had to see a psychiatrist to get some to taper off them, plus some other less controlled sleeping tablets.

even when i pick up OTC shit im looked at weird

0 points · 1 month ago

i've been to the university campus a handful of times and i guess i set off some red flags because now as soon as i walk in someone immediately comes over and is like "hey can i help you" and shadows me the whole time im there

haha, well I read a post on opiates about some guy bitching that his conservative grandfolks were treating him bad.

Then he described himself as having a mohawk, sleeve tattoos, piercings and a beard. Hmm, I wonder why? I try and look as non threatening and as meek as possible.

anyone can help me out will be much apreciated

friendly faces

beaming smiles

Sourcing drugs is NOT allowed here! YOU WILL BE BANNED FOR ASKING OR PROVIDING DRUG OR PARAPHERNALIA SOURCES, whether illegal or legal. This includes: URLs, markets, PMs, etc. Make sure you follow the RULES. When in doubt, DONT.

Have you used our Discord?

Want to hang out with other redditors?

r/Drugs Rules
R1. Follow the submission guidelines
R2. Don't discuss places to buy or sell (sourcing)
R3. Be Nice! - Remember the Human