Why does weed change for some people?

When I first started smoking weed I loved it, I would smoke it every now and then and at some point started hanging around stoners and was smoking everyday.

To me it was amazing, it killed my anxiety and depression, made everything interesting and music was incredible on it. I had some of the best times of my life smoking weed with friends and I honestly thought I would smoke it for the rest of my life.

Then one day even though I was in a great set and setting I just started feeling really anxious when I smoked it, I felt shitty and just wanted the high to stop. I tried more times with different strains but it was the same every time.

I quit weed about 3 years ago but I still smoke it every now and then. Everytime I smoke it I get very similar results. I still get music enhancement, and things seem less boring but the negative effects can ruin the experience.

I've seen some people say the exact same thing online and I know people in real life that have said it as well. I just don't understand why it has this effect on some people.

If I drink or take benzos or opiates with weed then the weed is amazing but I don't like it by itself. Who else has experienced this and does anyone have any idea why it happens to some people?

Sort by

Everything changes man hits blunt

Lol for real though and this is just my opinion and a super dumbed down one but if you mess with your own chemicals on a daily basis you rewire your behavior pattern but I don’t think it’s permanent I think it’s a matter of habit and environment. Sorry I’m fucking stoned rn

Chronic weed use has been shown to play with your dopamine levels. This is why those who quit will often feel depressed or anxious for 1-7 days after quitting, it's because their dopamine levels have to come back up naturally(most drugs affect dopamine). On top of that, you can create pavlovian responses yourself. For example, I always get up and go to my garage if I want to smoke. I rarely go out there for anything besides that. Now, whenever I go out there regardless, I get cravings to smoke and my body expects it. This isn't unique to weed though, it's a common thing that happens to everyone with any habitual activity.

Now, whenever I go out there regardless, I get cravings to smoke and my body expects it.\

Totally I have it with nicotine.

I have this reflex whenever I drop acid. I know its real acid cuz I always test the batch and its tasteless. But whenever I just see the blotters I get this weird feeling in my mouth. And i have to ocasionaly shake my head like I tasted something bitter. This intensifies when I put the blotter in my mouth.

I feel the taste is akin to robot pussy

There are no better words

If your acid tastes metallic it's not acid.

How big are your tabs if you don't mind me asking?

No no no, the acid doesn't taste metallic, like 30 minutes after I take some my mouth starts to taste like robot pussy. I've never noticed any flavor off a tab besides paper. And I've gotten the small squares off a sheet and one time smaller pieces off a tiny strip of white paper. One time a purple glittery gummy but then I was told after the fact that it was 2cb. Wish I had known, the trip would have been better if I wasn't confused

2 more replies

Comment deleted1 month ago(8 children)

The taste of good strong MDMA... One of the worst tastes on the planet. Gippin.

Comment deleted1 month ago(0 children)

Yeah man, was just on about how when you think about something you can get an associated smell or taste, MDMA being one of the worst of these haha

MDMA is hella unpleasant, but Tilidine is far worse imo. Might be a thing of habit tho, bc in my experience, drugs just become more unpleasant every single time you take them (especially this involuntary back-throwing head-shaking as if it were fuckin ammonia) When I was 14 or 15, I could drink vodka straight outta the bottle, the taste didn't really bother me. Today, I can barely even drink mix drinks. Oddly enough, beer in turns has become tasty tho, but I don't enjoy being drunk.

Meth tastes pretty bad

1 more reply

Yep 100% same. My body literally knows what’s about to go down just by looking at them.

That happens to my teeth cuz when I’m on acid my teeth feel all weird and jelly like so every time I see acid my teeth start to feel that way.

3 points · 1 month ago

Same. Literally just thinking about tabs in my mouth can give me that feel/taste

11 more replies

100% with both. Used to like smoking when i was drunk but now as soon as i open a drink i want a smoke

It took about 3 months for that to mostly stop for me. Another 3 for the sparse and intermittent ones.

Coming up on a year!

Same. I have to smoke before/after certain activities, if I try to skip out like if Im not actively craving at that exact moment within minutes the craving hits... Its all in my head in a big way.

3 more replies

Oh is that why I wake up and have to slam gravs

4 more replies

4 more replies

291 points · 1 month ago

Weed gives you anxiety man.. same for me.. and like a shit ton of other people that’s why you always hear it. I typically only smoke when I have benzos on hand but seeing that I take 1mg of klonopin daily I usually smoke. I stay away from sativas though. Try to find an indica with a High cbd content and I think you’d enjoy it man.

83 points · 1 month ago

Been smoking for 20 years now. Have quit multiple times. Long term use does make you paranoid and anxious. Hyper sensitive to your surroundings. It’s not a good feeling. I use it as a signal that it’s time to take a break and detox.

i’m at that stage rn i feel like i’m abusing it ever since i got a pen

17 points · 1 month ago

Same here! This summer instead of buying flower I bought a total of 7 one gram carts, I’ve only got about 1 & 1/2 left and it’s crazy to think where all that went. Your tolerance builds so quickly on those and it’s just too easy to pick the thing up and hit a button.

Mine dosent even have a button so it’s even easier

yea i think i built a tolerance ever since i got those.

I've gone through nearly 5 gs of oil in the last 3 weeks lol. When I first got my dab rig I made a gram last two weeks... Dabs completely fuck your tolerance

Yeah bro they do. I think the best situation for me would be if I don’t solely use the pen & instead save that for road trips & times I’ve got to be discreet whilst using flower on the reg.

14 points · 1 month ago

Yeah those pens are insanely easy to abuse just cause of how fast, easy, and discreet the method to het high is. Just reflect on your diminishing returns with it and realize how much more you can get out of it if you space your use out and use it more casually.

Thanks! I’ll take that into consideration

3 points · 1 month ago

I tried 10mg edibles while I was in California and it helped some. If I took one at noon and 2 at 8pm I was fine. Didn’t have an urge to smoke and I didn’t feel all tweaked out.

Taking 2 at night helped me sleep.

2 more replies

Intersting. I've been smoking for almost 10 years now, and the anxiety/paranoia only happens to me when I start smoking again after a break. Once i'm back in the daily habit the anxiety is completely gone.

I'm not sure which I'd prefer to be honest.

1 more reply

See that's interesting, how long does it take for you to start feeling that way, I've been smoking daily for about 6 years. (wow! Time flies!) And I don't get any anxiety from smokin as long as I'm in a place I feel safe.

I.e. I won't smoke in the car or public but as long as I'm home or with friends I'm always fine.

4 more replies

95 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Weirdly I find it's the opposite for me in terms of indica/sativa, the couch locked feeling of indica seems to lead to anxiety, whereas i feel less anxious when I feel like I can function more on a good sativa strain, the CBD content probably has a big part to play like you say! Valium and good hash is such a glorious combo tho, any THC anxiety is conteracted with stronger benzo euphoria mmmmmm

39 points · 1 month ago

Yeah same the body high of indica is way scarier for me than the head high of sativa

It's like I can feel my insides moving around on a heavy indica and it prangs me out

There is zero truth to the sativa-Indica dichotomy. Source:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5576603/

This article was pretty eye opening thx for the link

This was a fantastic read, thank you for sharing

3 more replies

For sure dude. Benzo/weed combo is fucking amazing, but so wary of benzo dependence. I always feel amazing the next day too which is so weird.

Definitely recommend dosing CBD oil daily for anxiety too. Or using it before/after smoking. Gotta let it build it up in your system though.

Do you happen to find there are reasons for your anxiety after you smoked? How does it manifest and where do you feel it in your body. Do or have you ever done psychedelics, and if so what was the result? Do you consider yourself "tightly wound" or "high strung" or would others consider you as such if speaking honestly? Or have you ever spoken to someone about your anxieties, and is there any depression in your life?

I ask these questions because sometimes what is people's anxiety on cannabis is often the results of a number of variables but some of them are consistent enough where if you were to connect the dots I think you'd be able to come to a more effective solution as to the reasoning some people or you specifically deals with anxiety when smoking (and again, whether that's specific strains or is just a unique personal chemistry thing). It would be interesting to hear what this case is for others as well!

Ive had similar experiences (as per anxiety) while smoking and I am definitely a highly strung chick by nature.

1 more reply

I can't agree more with using indica and CBD to negate the anxiety-inducing effects of the THC. Too much sativa can induce anxiety in many people, but something with CBD will reduce and/or delay the extreme headiness of the THC.

Have u noticed any memory problems from smoking for that long?

10 more replies

I have the same problem man. Used to smoke every day and I loved it. One day I was smoking and out of nowhere I had a panic attack. Now I can't smoke without experiencing severe anxiety/paranoia. Seems to be pretty common.

45 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

My highs were cool but one day recently they turned into anxious ridden thoughts like that my friends are out to get me(?) or that i was in a simulation and everyone acts differently when i’m high, or as if i can SEE the true intent behind a persons’s actions, idk

26 points · 1 month ago

Literally me. 100% what I experience now. It sucks out loud.

I make connections of random actions people have taken that JUST PROVE everyone is out to get me and my life is a lie.

I hate it.

dude it was worse like 2 days ago bc i went out as the only high person and this girl-friend who i joke around w a lot decided to shove a sample cup of ice cream in my face. Unprecedented as hell from her but my mind spiked on anxiety bc no one said anything despite them all feeling the same. The night got better though.

This is exactly what happens to me. Someone will look at me funny and I'll think they hate me and are using me or something. It's like a nightmare.

Same here. First 3-4 times were absolutely incredible. Then bam, my first EVER panic attack, so bad my partner called 911 convinced I really WAS dying lol. Ever since then I can't handle the anxiety no matter what. Doesn't matter what strain, whether smokes or edibles. Weed makes me hyperfocus on 1 thing so anxiety turns into "feels like my heart is pounding out of my chest." Stopped trying about 2 yrs ago but maybe some day I'll give it another shot

Most people don't really understand weed's effects, ESPECIALLY for new smokers. People who don't smoke often, will have that 20 minute heart-rate pounding 'come up'. This is what usually triggers anxiety. However, if you smoke more often, that come up period drops, and for me, I get about 15 seconds of a noticeable heart-rate increase and then i'm good. Now, that isn't to say my heart rate isn't increasing, it's just that you get used to the feeling of a fast heart-rate while high. Same with a lot of stuff. You need to get used to the feelings while high, because it's a entirely different sensory experience.

People hyperfocusing on this while high is pretty common. Again, the more you use it, the better you get at handling feelings.

But this comes with a downside, most people can't smoke every-day. On top of this, once you notice a feeling you have, it won't go away. Imagine getting high and noticing "wait.. I can wiggle my ear". It's sort of like that with common issues people have with weed like anxiety. that "oh that is what that lingering feeling is" and then you fixate and it goes worse and worse etc. You'll have to learn to accept the feeling and be comfortable with it, or it'll stick. And sometimes you just need a good long 3 months + break to reset your body.

The best thing for anxiety? Breathe in for 4 seconds, hold it for 5 and breath out of your mouth for 6. Stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, forcing your heart rate and blood pressure to drop, and makes that nasty 'I'M HAVING A HEART ATTACK MY HEARTS POUNDING' feeling go away.

9 points · 1 month ago

The real stem to a lot of anxiety symptoms is manual breathing / hyperventilation. When you get anxious this is one of the main things you focus on and tense up. The symptoms come from too much oxygen, even though you feel like you are not getting enough. This causes shortness of breath, heart palpations, chest tightness etc. Most people think anxiety is just in the mind and "my mind can't trick me to feel these sensations", whereas there is mechanical changes that cause these symptoms.

As you pointed out, slowing your breathing rate will really help.

This is spot-on. Many people (predominately those without anxiety disorders lol) think anxiety is only a mental symptom, but it's not that easy to control. The mind and body are linked and although the anxiety might originally come from inside, once the adrenal system kicks in, the body will respond as if there is a VERY real threat. Panic attacks for example lead folks to feel as if they are really, truly, actually dying- heart rate increases and tension in the chest muscles can become as painful as a heart attack. Hyperventilating makes them dizzy and feel like they're going to pass out/die, but they think they aren't able to get enough air. It's a vicious cycle and very hard to "just calm down" or breathe slower when every system is screaming DANGER at you! That's why a lot of times, medication helps as it allows them to calm down enough and eventually learn to stop that cycle before it spirals out of control. Just wanted to add more info for anyone else out there who didn't know!

1 more reply

Interesting I never knew weed had that window of increased heart rate

Holy shit, never thought about the heart rate.

4 more replies

It’s insane, man. I’m the same way. I used to smoke and veg out or relax. Enjoying music, movies, and life in general. But now it’s a green leafed anxiety attack filled with bad vibes and my worst fears. I’ll sit for 30 minutes manually fighting back the heart attack I feel like I’m having.

Same. I’ve now passed out/had a panic attack 3 times after smoking. Seemingly caused from intense stress. Been a smoker since 16 and never once had an experience like that

anxiety is part of life. Nature is very brutal. It only makes sense that any plant reflecting natures "spirit" if you will, is consistency immediately gratifying the first few or many times, but will eventually start to show you other sides of its nature. It can be more rewarding to work through the anxiety and accept and work with the high. Kind of metaphoric but i think i made my point...

I've settled on the "work through the anxiety" route for myself. Have you done that too? Any tips you could share?

I have had to work through it for a while personally, a tip I can give you is to try Mindful Meditation especially when you think you’re gonna freak out. It’s gotten to the point for me when I feel a negative thought pattern being established I can simply silence my mind or look at it as if I’m observing the feeling from an outside perspective, if you have any questions feel free to DM me!

Thanks! I stumbled into mindful meditation, so it's good to hear I'm on a path that's worked for someone else.

Yeah it definitely takes some practice, it really does work though. It’s like training a muscle, you get better every time you practice!

I’m so glad I found this, thought I was the only one..

This happened the other day... i went to the hospital... im still freaking out a bit days later and i havent smoked in 24 hours... idk man

8 more replies

56 points · 1 month ago

That’s why I eventually gave up smoking. I found that I felt like I wanted to smoke weed, then immediately after smoking it I was wishing I hadn’t.

So it can be the act of smoking that keeps you coming back rather than actually enjoying being high.

8 points · 1 month ago

every time I smoke weed the next day I smoke a cig and can feel a much stronger buzz, people who say it doesn’t alter your brain is not being honest with themselves.

1 more reply

Personally I think it might be either the weed nowadays is so heavily THC focused and doesnt have CBD to balance it out giving you something like this.

Or I believe it has something to do with this "Prolonged cannabinoid exposure alters GABA(A) receptor mediated synaptic function in cultured hippocampal neurons.", I believe when this happens the THC effects pretty much take over and the CBD is just too weak to battle it, I wanna try puffing on CBD after smoking to see if it could help the discomfort altough I dont have access to CBD rn.

I think theres a lot of research needed on just this, the correlation between the endocannabinoid system and GABA and how smoking weed can affect the GABA system.

Someone on a forum said this: "When GABA receptors become oversuppressed you cease to function as a human being. THC and CBD work hand in hand to tickle GABA and GAMA so they don't feel lonely. To answer your question if marijuana does permanent damage to GABA-A receptor, Only if GAMA-B isn't happy with the new regime in town."

Thanks for the link to the documentary!!!!!

Ive experienced some of those bad highs too. there are phases where it feels like I'm more prone to getting an anxiety ridden bad high. however, for me it feels like more of a mind over matter situation. weed causes you to focus intensely on everything. if a random thought of "hey is this what heart attacks feel like" or "somebody is definitely in my house right now and they're going to find me any second" comes across my mind and I focus on it instead of letting it go, then yeah my anxiety will go through the roof. on certain strains I have auditory hallucinations and convince myself that I hear footsteps or people talking about me. but ive learned that when those kind of thoughts cross my mind, I just need to remind myself of logical facts and try to think of how I'd perceive the situation if I was sober. then I'll distract myself with a game or TV show until the thought passes completely. it feels so intense but I think I'm doing okay with trying to find ways to handle that anxiety.

12 points · 1 month ago

I used to smoke and it was like all my problems went away. Now when I smoke all my problems come to the surface.

Same, then I realized it was becasue with time I had more problems.

2 points · 1 month ago

I agree, I definitely think its mind over matter for a lot of people. Its a psychedelic experience when you arent smoking all the time, and even when you are if ya smoke enough. This makes it very easy to cling to negative thoughts. We all know negative thoughts on anything psychedelic can make you phsyically uncomfortable and obviously mentally aswell.

Same reason people's taste in basically anything change. People are always growing up and changing. In their tastes, feelings, reactions to drugs, perspective on things, how they carry themselves. Weed went the opposite way for me and another person I know. Used to make me anxious, now it doesn't. Maybe it'll go back someday, who knows

I've asked this here a few times. The answers were always a kind of 'well it's not for you' and that was that. But then the sub was (is) absolutely filled with people who were singing the praises of weed all day long - and it felt frustrating to feel in the minority of those who who were negatively affected. I've tried researching beyond the trite "just smoke a different strain" but there's really very little real scientific explanation.

However! Weirdly, after years (like 10+) of it giving me crushing anxiety (which I'd never ordinarily experience) my circumstances changed somewhat and can now smoke seemingly without any hint of anxiety. I wont go into the details of my circumstances but I think perhaps external stressors were to blame. I felt happy enough in my life - on the surface - but also kind of bored, and flat, and without direction. Now I'm a little more in control of where I'm going, and who I am (despite being less financially secure than previously) and what I deem to be an acceptable lifestyle. And all of a sudden I can smoke like an endurance stoner.

I dont believe weed to be heaven sent. I do not believe drugs are here to show us a higher dimension. I dont subscribe to any of the wishy washy positive bullshit about drugs (fun though they are). But, perhaps, maybe, whilst smoking any underlying issues you may have - which are buried real deep down - do surface and overwhelm you.

Just my take.

People romanticize the extremely minimal to nonexistent physical consequences of weed so much that they overlook the mental aspects. Weed is certainly not as fun for me as when I started but I find a different sort of pleasure in it now. If there's something I've been subconsciously ignoring all of a sudden it's all I can think about and I have to think through every situation with it. To me that is fun and satisfying even if it's not pleasant at the time.

95 points · 1 month ago

Okay same thing happens to me and I have a little theory on this...weed is an amazing drug and unlike other drugs like opaites or stims you have to be in a good mind set and a good place in your life to enjoy it...its not a "free" high persay...you have to work for a good weed high unlike opaites where no matter how u feel or how anxious you are you will feel better after you take it, ya feel me?

I think you’re right about that with weed but I also think mushrooms and other psychedelics are like this as well. Wouldn’t recommend doing weed or psychs if you’re not in a stable mental state at the time or you’ll be very prone to getting anxious. just be smart ya’ll if you’re super fucking depressed just hold off for a sec bc if it goes bad you’re just making it harder to come back to a more positive place mentally when you are sober.

This applies for every drug, psychedelic ones enhance the effects more, though. People like to forget that there's no magical switch to happiness, which drugs can trigger...

11 points · 1 month ago

It’s weird, I have anxiety but psychs actually help me with it versus weed which always brings it out. I’m able to calmly commune with my thoughts during mild trips, but a weed high? Forget it!

3 points · 1 month ago

Exactly the same. Lsd = confident with myself Weed = overthinking/self-doubt/ anxiety

1 more reply

can we think about a practical way to test if "are we very prone to getting anxious?"

can you help me to assess the level of accuracy on this one?

I’m not gonna lie, I’ve been at my lowest point with myself the past 2 years, chronic severe depression + anxiety, and pysches really changed that all to just the depression to deal with. I’m so much better at working through my issues after taking them and thinking about my life

I heard I think Joe Rogen say that he likes the anxious thoughts psychs and weed give you bc it gives you a chance to work some shit out in your own head that sometimes you can’t when you’re not on drugs. I think i enjoyed weed and psychs until the anxious thoughts became the only thing going on in my head especially when i smoked; before that i did enjoy sorting out my own insecurities while on drugs.

2 points · 1 month ago

Yea good point.for me even when I'am sober its hard to deal with overthinking/self-doubt. Weed makes them to hard to handle especially if there are people around.

1 more reply

Dude I completely agree with this. When I smoke as soon as I wake up, I have no motivation that day and just want to sit and smoke, but by the end of the day I just feel exhausted and drained. When I get up and am productive and dont smoke until the PM (or at least until I've done a few productive things with my day), the high is 1000x better

I’ve always thought this as well. It’s not that the weed makes you high, it merely emphasizes the underlying problem: your mental/emotional state. I’ve found that the more calm and happy I am when I smoke, the more positive my high is. This has always been the case for me, but I do know that for others weed serves as a way to fight that already existing anxiety so I don’t know. I wish there were more scientific research on the drug.

6 more replies

13 points · 1 month ago

I’ve had this experience and came out the other side and enjoyed smoking again.

I went from a daily smoker to not touching it at all about 5 years ago. Every time I tried to try it again since then would make me super anxious and depressed. I was however dealing with these things in my life at this time.

Now I am a super high point in my life. Hadn’t touched weed in 2.5 years until 2 months ago. Had a joint to wind down before bed and enjoyed it. Since then slowly got back into more regularly. However I’ll still only smoke it if I’m in a great mood at the time.

I think if you get anxiety and depression on weed then you need to be in your best frame of mind to enjoy it again.

looking forward to the future then

The strains are so strong these days. If we could compare it to alcohol, it would be like if hard liquor was way more prevalent than say a low ABV beer.

We need more strains with higher CBD over THC. We need less potent strains.

7 points · 1 month ago

I have my own theory about this one and it goes something like this. It actually works for every psychoactive substance. When you use something, that plays with your mind, firstly you will enjoy even the small - already known things - you could say a substance gives you "tourist glasses" It's like that feeling, when you are a tourist in a foreign place, and suddenly everything is fascinating, becouse everything is new. So first few uses of a drug are strictly fun. But then you get used to a feeling. You are no longer a tourist. From that point on highs (at least most of then) will be concentrated more on the activity you are doing with that drug in the moment. So if you smoke a joint (when your tourist glasses are already worn out) it will concentrate on your mind (in whatever state it is - hopefully not bored on anxious). SET is one of two important things when using drugs, make it groovy :)

2 more replies

Just chiming in to say that I'm in the same boat as you. I smoke extremely rarely now, mainly just to see if the feeling has changed.

For me personally, the first 30 minutes of the high I get intense anxiety and I'm overwhelmed with self hatred. Then for the rest of the high, I have moderate anxiety but its usually pretty chill after I get past the first part.

Dude I have exactly the same, the first 30 minutes are so unconfortable, but the rest of the high is as usual. Have you any idea what caused it?

Idk. I'm pretty fucked in the head so it could be anything. I swear it started happening when I smoked spice when I was like 17 though. That shit fucked me up for life

that sucks man, im pretty sure a psychedelic experience caused it but i have no idea which one

The worst thing about it is nobody seems to know what causes the change and I'm pretty sure theres no way to reverse it. It started when I was 17 and I'm 22 now so I think that's just the way I'm gonna experience ganja for the rest of my life

2 more replies

Id say its either your brain finally maturing or developed anxiety disorder due to trauma. It may even be a little of both. When I first started at 19, it was a blast. Laughing, forgetting what we were talking about, feel like your dreaming, etc.

Then I got arrested and charged with two felonies (unrelated). I was looking at 14-28 years but managed to get a month in jail and 2 years probation. After all that, smoking was just a terrible time 90% of the time. I got to the age where my brain was fully developed and also suffered a serious ordeal.

can I ask how you got out of 20 years with only a month in jail? seems like a crazy story lol

I slept with a girl who later texted me saying if I didnt sleep with her 13 year old friend, they would both tell the cops I raped them and got them both pregnant. I kept the text just in case they went through with it. They did. I denied raping either of them as the first one consented. Turned out she had a fake id and was really 14. I was 19. Got charged with two felonies both punishable by 7-14 years each and become a registered sex offender.

Neither were pregnant and the 13 year old still had her hymen intact. That along with my keeping of the blackmail text and leniency from the judge since the other girl lied about her age with a fake id, I was allowed to plead down to a misdemeanor and probation. No felony conviction and got the misdemeanor expunged after completing my probation.

What an asshole thing to do.

Youre telling me. The worst of it is the local paper refuses to update the story online. So now when I have job interviews and they do background checks, my arrest shows up and I have to explain the whole situation if they even give me a chance to explain what happened afterwards. I politely asked them to remove or at the very least update it and they basically told me to go fuck myself and cited freedom of the press.

Have a look into defamation law, I have the feeling freedom of the press is bullshit in the face of libel.

They didnt lie though. I was arrested for two felonies, so they arent saying anything that isnt true.

Damn that sucks but that’s why we can’t trust these hoes

Might have to change your name dude, sorry you had to go through that

2 points · 1 month ago

Might be worth hiring a hacker to remove the articles against you.

That's fucking terrible, the law is so shitty sometimes, she was being deceitful and even bought a fake id yet you the victim get blamed and sentenced for it

Also she didnt get into any trouble at all for having a fake id or blackmailing me.

2 more replies

I was on probation for like a year for possession and I still smoked cuz I didn't give a fuck but it was definitely one of those times where I couldn't even enjoy the high because I was too worried about it being in my system, etc.

59 points · 1 month ago

You've developed an anxiety disorder perhaps.

Ah, the good ol diagnosis through the internet

To be fair, they did say “perhaps”.

OP has cancer perhaps

Technically you’re right.

After my ex girlfriend was murdered I had minor symptoms of PTS in the months following, and maybe because I never grieved properly I ended up with a panic disorder. Shit is terrifying to go though and made doing things like starting a new job or even playing fighting games feel impossible.

I still cannot smoke more than one hit without getting BLASTED high off my ass...while I think the tolerance reset is interesting (used to smoke an eighth or so daily/every two days) I really hate that its now intense to the point where taking a nap is the only way to stop tripping balls.

Likewise. Anxiety to the point of making me want to change my whole life for the better. I have anchored a negative response to being high because during the time I smomed a lot around age 15-17 I developed depression and anxiety. And now I can't smoke weed at all. Sucks

I don't know about this. I normally don't have anxiety unless I smoke weed.

2 more replies

I'm the exact same, for me I feel the reason I stopped liking it is because I started to venture out into other drugs such as, Shrooms, DMT, MDMA, Salvia, LSD etc. and by doing this I've seen how the negative effects of weed kinda ruin the experience for me but with the other drugs I've done there aren't negative effects like that so any chance I get to do something else I will do it instead of smoking weed

As i have grown older and have trained myself to try and be more focussed with daily life and chores, I try and fight those feelings of laziness that everyone gets when they procrastinate.

As soon as i smoke weed, I find I'm in a mental battle now, I instantly get that lethargic chill feeling that i used to like, but I can't help but fight against it now. Even if it's in the evening and I have nothing to do i start feeling claustrophobic, my mental sharpness really deteriorates. I find myself grasping for words that are usually accessible to me in my vocabulary. Frustrated that there are words just out of sight that I cannot reach.

It's not that im any less intelligent when high, but its like im fighting to be as quick and sharp mentally as I usually am verbally, and socially. This causes me to try and fight against this numbing feeling that i used to enjoy and it causes me to panic. Iv tried so many times to just roll with it and relax, but it became such a chore to enjoy weed that for me, it has lost its magic. Also that one in five or so chance for me, that I will just become to overwhelmed by these feelings and start to panic somewhat, the juice is not worth the squeeze anymore.

These feelings of numbness and relaxation, are what used to be so attractive for me. These very same feelings are what I dislike so much.

Same thing happens to me when I smoke. It always seems like i'm in a constant battle to stay sharp as I would be without smoking and sometimes my vocabulary and speech can get a bit slower or slurred (because i'm stoned), but I always find myself trying to fight this feeling instead of just enjoying it and letting it happen. Doing such a thing nearly always induces anxiety/paranoia.

Weed normally for me is chill, couple zoots and I'm chilling and laughing with mates. One day after a long break from smoking my mate wanted to try out gravity bongs. Took couple hits and I was hit with pure anxiety, I thought anything anyone said was aimed hatefully at me, I was stuck in awful mind loops and was freaking out. I went home and was lying in bed and it felt like what I thought psychosis would feel like. It freaked me out so much I thought I'd never smoke again, but I've smoked a couple times since. Only just a couple zoots and I've been fine for the most part.

Still scary though, can't help but think of the whole "weed will bring out any mental disorder" thing

Exact same thing happened me before.

I usually just smoke joints with my friends and feel chill, but decided to hit a bong one night with some people I knew but wasn't great friends with, and they put a tonne of keef in the hit without me knowing and I was overcome with the worst paranoia and anxiety I have ever endured in my life, exactly how you described it.

Buy a flower vape and use it at low the lowest temp and have a 1:1 or higher ratio of cbd to thc in your cannabis. Fixed most of my issues which was similar to yours.

I have had the same disappointing progression. From loving it, shit worshiping it in a way, to getting anxious even thinking about getting high! It bums me out, especially now that I live in a state where it is legal! I had two bad experiences where I had too much, and I equate it to the old stereotype of someone that drank too much tequila, and can never drink it again. Its crazy how that shit happens. Maybe as we age, there is just too many hard things that will creep into our thoughts when we imbibe. There’s a line from that Dead song “Truckin” - “What in the world ever became of sweet Jane? She lost her sparkle, you know she isn't the same Livin' on reds, vitamin C, and cocaine, All a friend can say is "Ain't it a shame?"

Yessir, its a damned shame!

From a psychonaut point of view:

Weed is known to be a mild psychedelic and also to have dissociatives properties especially in sativa strains. What that means is that for a lot of people smoking weed will be a soft ego dissolution experience. As you are younger, your ego is not fully determined yet and still growing by catching life experiences. In other words, you are way more open to new experiences or ideas when you are younger. Once you reach a certain age though, your ego has solidified itself and actually fear to lose its boundaries that it has created while growing. In that sense, the mild ego dissolution experience that weed provide will create the anxiety as you are now less open to the creative, unstable states of the cannabis intoxication. As you stated, When you take benzos or alcohol though, these anxiolytics will most likely cure the anxiety that you are experiencing.

This happened to me too. It was really really weird.

I took a 3 month tolerance break and the first time I smoked again was fine but nearly every time sense has been really uncomfortable and not enjoyable at all. The few times I've been able to enjoy it was just ONE hit off a bowl combined with opiates.

Opiates are my bread and butter, jelly and jam so I thought it was just 'finding my drug of choice' for a long time before I realised that it was anxiety. (The realization that people fucking live every day with that was another terrible experience).

I'm not sure why it shifted for me but just one or two teeny tiny baby hits are about all I can do without getting uncomfortable now.

You know, now that I think about it, my mom is actually allergic to weed, so is my uncle and one of his kids so maybe it's an allergic reaction? Like how you can acquire an allergy to stuff you come in contact with a lot. Like shell fish?

You’ve just described my exact experience with weed. It’s a shame because now i’m older I would quite like to chill and smoke every once in a while but it’s just not worth the anxiety

I experienced the same. I loved it as a teenager, but in my late teens I experienced something which triggered mild PTSD, ever since if I smoke weed it causes me to go deeply introspective, playing out awful scenarios in my head that I can't stop until it wears off, resulting in crippling anxiety and panic attacks.

Did you have a life changing experience, or something that caused you a lot of stress around the time when it changed for you?

2 points · 1 month ago

I think it just changes because of frequent use. For me I've cut down lately and actually enjoy using less now that my tolerance Is lowered. I feel the effects more now.

Tolerance builds fairly quick then with frequent term use. it can also decrease dopamine and serotonin and increased glutamate.. all of which can cause depression.

Straight up man, your brain has decided to decrease the output of happy chemicals because it’s realized it has an abundance... weed has become a part of your brain’s wiring. It depends on it. You can detox and come back to it but it’ll never be the same.

Don’t take other drugs chasing that dragon. I got a friend who went down this path. We all do. Poor motherfucker is shattered broken.

2 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

If you want, try smoking weed and having some sort of CBD supplement around. It’s safer than alcohol, benzos, and opiates, but it will melt anxiety away and clear up your frame of mind while you are high. It’s definitely worth a try and maybe you can enjoy smoking again.

2 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

I think all it takes is one bad experience, as soon as you take a puff, even if you have a glancing thought to that incident or moment, your mind will solely start focusing on it. I also think there is a hive menality with groups that start getting anxiety, people share their experiences or talk about their distrust in weed, then it starts to rub off on others.

Manual breathing / hyperventilation is main cause of most anxiety symptoms and can give you shortness of breath, tightness in chest, heart palpiations etc. The symptoms come from too much oxygen, even though you feel like you are not getting enough. Really try to slow your breathing and relax, this can have a calming effect. If you breathe too much your body is constantly in fight or flight. When you get anxious this is one of the main things you focus on and tense up.

The same thing that applies to psychedelics - set and setting. I think taking something like a benzo or some alcohol for a while as platform to work from helps to start to remove your anxiety neurological pathways. Maybe even Yoga, tying back to the breathing issue.

I don't think it is unachievable to smoke again, I've also had a few bad experiences on it and was never one to have anxious foughts prior. I'm now managing to introduce again in small quantites. I only smoked socially on weekends etc. but really miss it for film nights etc. Ultimately I had health fears for a long time, which was actually an eating disorder, now corrected. I'm not sure what other people get 'anxiety' about exactly from weed.

2 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

I don't know if this applies to you, but the same thing happened to me for about a year.. The thing about me is I'm not great at recognizing my own emotions when it's convenient, it's good for work but I kind of do the same thing in my relationships when it comes to some things and I wasn't dealing with some problems, just trying to push them to the back of my head like I pretty much did with a lot of unpleasant stuff I didn't want to deal with my whole life, I use to figure it's fine if I'm the only one impacted, maybe if there's time I'll get to it later and it's usually a small thing anyway but they can start to add up and affect a person in unexpected ways. Because of this, my normal state would usually be varying amounts of anxiety and depression

Weed was great but it stopped being the friend it was and started giving me mad paranoia and anxiety for about a year and it kept getting worse.. These weed nightmares might have been very telling as it was always over something pretty specific. But when you don't want to realize something, it can be hard to see that's the case. Turned out the source was something a part of me knew I absolutely had to do, but it was also something I definitely didn't want to do because at the time I thought it was selfish - I'm a bit of a puss when it comes to breaking up with someone I really like.

I had to make a decision and things were better right away as soon as I acknowledged the problem and things stayed better as long as I was honestly working at solving it. I talked to her about it and we came to a compromise together that worked for me... Sometimes I feel like despite there not being much progress maybe I won't have to go through with it as things can be good but the shit quickly comes back and gradually keeps getting worse until I'm like "okay okay.. We'll stick to fixing this".

Weed gave me my worst nightmares trying to tell me to look at things I was refusing to deal with or even acknowledge were there, it was causing all kinds of problems.. Dropping the weed didn't help me feel better at all just bad in different less obvious ways

After I started taking better care of my emotions and listening to myself, usually having to come up with a creative compromise for the really tough problems was the only thing that helped

Well JimmySteve1, by looking at your post history, it's quite clear that you are a 'druggie' by every meaning of the word. I'd suggest to wean off what ever you are injecting, snorting and smoking. And maybe get a job, get a life with some healthy friends, and try to turn your current shitstain of a life into something worth living. Just a thought.

Yeah I used to toke back in high school. Every time after like the first three times I tried it, it would send me into this mess of anxiety and paranoia. Like I could feel my tounge in my mouth and like food go down my throat. It would freak me out. I would be very on edge and filled with outlandish thoughts. It's been like a lot of years since I've tried it and I don't miss it. I think kids back then smoked really weak dope so it was just kinda chill. Now a days these kids are smoking some crazy strong shit and it's not the same thing. I've always had an adverse reaction though. "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't after you". lol

That's anxiety for you, bud.

I have General Anxiety Disorder. I've been on and off meds for a few years now. When I'm in a shitty place, weed amplifies my anxiety for sure.

Alcohol kills my anxiety dead. Xanax (obviously) kills anxiety dead. Seems to me like you might want to consider either not smoking or seeking help from a doctor.

It's no big deal. If you only ever feel like this after you smoke, then there really isn't a need to see a doctor.

Why smoke if it results in shitty feelings? Defeats the purpose mate.

Good luck.

I'm 48. I've been smoking pot since 1984. I am from England and hash from North Africa and the middle East. Grass was less common than Nepalese Temple Balls and opium was plentiful.
When I arrived here at age 18 even the good grass was 10% thc and only 20% stems and seeds. Forward to today. Throw bud in grinder, grind,pack into pre roll, ... stoned. And by the way, your weed IS stronger than it was. At first I was incensed, angry.. How dare these entitled, happy, people get so fucking high . Easily , and post it on the duby app. After all in a tightly regulated English boarding school the ability to roll a hash and tobacco joint with one hand, in your pocket was a skill much admired. All marveled at the joint master as the chosen one created. Out was a thing. I was that man and I felt ....? Slighted? Belittled? Old????

JEALOUS!!!

I was a shocked and it never occurred to me until I it was pointed out that I was not smoking as much pot as 33 years would lead them to expect. 3 decades. That's how long I have been active in the movement to further the smoking of weed and it's happening. And my first thoughts were denial and jealousy!!!

That brings me to the point of this seemingly random diatribe.
I was angry at people and weed because we are finally here. And it took a lot of time , sweat,jail etc to let other people have it so easy. They did not live through the drought of '92. It was a movement and I saw a lot of my generation ( too old for gen x-too young for a baby boomer. Born between 68-74. The first generation since the 14th century whose quality of life will be less than that of their parents is not a snappy name) loose interest in the whole scene. Many never got over it. They no longer consume constantly. They are no longer hippies. They changed. Weed never did. Our dreams suddenly came true. Competitive pricing, choice, variety and quality are mind boggling when you consider that having any options was unusually just 15 years ago. A bag of weed was a bag of weed. I was pissed that people who weren't even alive should have it so easy.

Who is acting like spoiled entitled bitch now?? I was and. I am not afraid to admit it.

The answer came in time honored format. Hippie best friend you have known forever, a conversation and a joint.

Weed was right. I was wrong. I allowed something to upset my relationship with pot. Pot forgave me. Pot deserves respect. You may ignore pot but pot will always be there.

So as I sit. Cup of Tea, vape w/92.5%thc that tastes like tangerines, pre roll in the ash tray and stoned as bejesus at the touch of a button I pray I never again doubt the grass. Ever.

It was the scariest afternoon of my life.

Never agan.

Edibles my dude, edibles. The come up is slower and less intense. More of a body buzz less getting trapped in negative mind loops/crazy negative thought patterns. Used to smoke daily then cut back to only once a week or so and got bad anxiety when I did smoke. Edibles were the solution for me. Plus no smoke in your lungs. Just my experience YMMV.

2 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

"When you smoke the herb it reveals you to yourself." -Bob Marley

Weed makes you aware of your place in existence in all manner of ways. I think as people grow up and hit their early 20s a lot of crushing realities start to weigh down on them about not getting as far in the world or not being as loved and accepted by others as they'd like or expected to have. We compare ourselves to others and experience insecurity even when sober, sometimes unconsciously, but weed brings it to the forefront. Sometimes this transformation is catalyzed by psychedelics but it doesn't have to be.

Past your early 20s I feel that weed hits another turn and can become enjoyable again, but you have to become okay with who you are, either by accomplishing your dreams or just by truly and genuinely no longer giving a fuck and becoming the Dude.

Same for me. If I don't mix it with alchool or tabaco it gives me overwelming anxiety.

1 more reply

Yup it's changed for me. Used to smoke it heavily, daily, for about three years. Had occasional stoner paranoia but mostly felt great while high. Nowadays, the smell of cannabis if I'm not smoking it makes me feel physically ill. I can only handle maybe half a joint these days. I can't handle smoking it on my own anymore, either; I need to be in the company of people I deeply trust to enjoy it. Otherwise I feel off and unsettled, sometimes panicky for no reason. I don't enjoy weed anywhere near like how I used to. It's weird how much the experience of it has shifted for me.

Exact same thing happened to me. I can corroborate a lot of the other things people are saying here. I loved it when i first started smoking in college. Then within the last couple years as I started taking on more “adult” responsibilities that experience changed completely. Getting high interferes with my ability to do the things I want/need to do; it makes me feel like I’m not in control. This period of my life coincides with moving out of my mom’s place, taking kratom to get energized and motivated, and finishing my degree while working part-time. I think I replaced my weed habit, which made life more interesting, with a kratom habit, which has made me more motivated. ALSO (and this is important), I think it’s the slightly psychedelic effects of THC that give me not only anxiety but occasionally “flashbacks” of bad trips I’ve had on psychedelics. These days, I can manage to enjoy smoking weed if I only smoke a little bit, maybe one hit, and only if I have addressed all my other responsibilities and have nothing hanging over my head. I have found that vaping CBD oil alone is a much more enjoyable experience. It helps me relax without making me feel so out of control.

(on a side-note, who tf is going through and downvoting every comment? can’t you just accept the fact that not everyone gets the same level of enjoyment from weed?)

1 more reply

I'm in the same boat. I quit weed for 6 months, then came back to it when I got my hands on weed where the CBD part completely dominates (THC amount is less than .2%). So I mixed that up with regular weed: around 70 (CBD) to 30 (THC) and the result was that even though I felt anxious for the first 10-15 minutes I managed to calm down myself with fruits, music, games and the mindset to just 'let it happen'. After those ~15 mins I was able to completely enjoy the high in the same way I used to. No anxiety at all, only chilling and riding on the stony clouds.

I may reduce the weed strong in THC to a 80-20 ratio but so far I'm happy with the outcome. I thought I could never enjoy cannabis the way I used to but thanks to the CBD strain I got a step closer to that goal. Especially because I can reliably calm down myself in the first 10-15 minutes of the high and just have a great time afterwards. That wasn't possible at all before: no matter what I'd do, I'd still feel even a little anxious and paranoid. So what I can recommend is: get your hands on some CBD!

2 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

I've been looking into this for the past few years because it happened to me as well. The one common denominator in all 14 people I've talked to at length about the change is that they did some sort of opiate or opioid. It's becoming quite a strong correlation and I think it deserves further looking into. You're person 15 now with the same problem and has also used opis.

Edit: Really odd how this got nothing but similar experienced amd downvotes.

I mentioned the same theory in my post, and there is mounting evidence since new evidence shows that weed does activate your mu-opioid receptors, so this could be a plausible mechanism for it.

That's so crazy that you say that. I smoked every day for almost 10 years, took a few months tolerance break due to some legal things and started getting really heavy into opiates during that time. I had always correlated the new anxiety to the tolerance break and never thought that it was the opiates beyond just finding something I loved WAYYYYY more.

Could you elaborate more ive had the same problem after i was dealing with an opiod / cocaine addiction

Happened to me right as I started experimenting with opioids and other drugs too

Yep I was prescribed some Hydros from a surgery, finished my script after a month and smoked afterwards then had a massive panic attack. Haven’t been able to comfortably smoke since.

1 more reply

Same thing happens to me. When i used to smoke I’d have a “bad high” every now and then but now, every time is pretty bad. I’m not sure why this happens, but its pretty disappointing

Ha the weed experience you described has been exactly the same for me. First couple of years good highs suddendly turning into anxiety trips. I also still smoke sometimes but only when I know im in a good enviroment/people and not to much. Sometimes the experience is still good, but there are always some anxiety moments. Weird how so many people have this.

All weed is not created equally. I feel like thats common knowledge. I try to stay away from indicas during the day because it slows me down and i get really in my head about it. I try to avoid sativas at night because it leaves me alone with thoughts I dont need to have while trying to relax. Find what works for you or just stop. It's just weed, it doesnt matter

Take a break.

Exact same thing happened to me, was a huge stoner from about 16-23 years old, a few over those years I smoked virtually all day every day, then the high suddenly changed and makes me anxious, I can only enjoy it with benzos or adderall. I'm not entirely sure why, it kinda sucks that I can't enjoy weed like I used to. I smoke maybe once or twice a month now, I've found high CBD strains cause less anxiety. When I smoke now it's just one or two hits, preferably something as close as possible to 50/50 THC/CBD.

Could just be coming on too intense. I get this all time. If I’ve smoked moderately, I start enjoying the high, or settling in, after around half hour. If I’ve smoked lots, an hour. Just keep your mind occupied.

Same thing happened to me

Same thing happened to me. Didn’t smoke for months... then I tried it again and it was like it used to be, fun. Idk what caused the changes, im just going with the flow lol

Smoked fine for four years then had a panic attack and anxiety, quit for 3.5 years, started again and im fine again. It can change

I used to be a VERY heavy smoker. 21 years ago I quit because I was pregnant with my son. Something changed, my body chemistry maybe? I've tried in the years to enjoy smoking again but no dice.

I think everbodys brain changes from smoking but we're all wired differently. Some people always remain some sort of 'grounded'. While others, like me, are ungolfed in a thick cloud of thoughts which you can't escape.

Weed both causes and suppresses anxiety by increasing serotonin in your brain and inhibiting GABA receptors. I can't even smoke at all anymore, it turns me into a paranoid crazy person until I come down, and I used to be an all day sort of smoker.

I've gotten anxiety from smoking almost since I started smoking. Every once in awhile I'll get a session where I'm on cloud 9, but that's far from common.

Same here. I found that a huge problem for me was dosage. I used to smoke a bowl or two or bong to get ripped and that just doesn’t help anymore. Now I occasionally dabble in concentrates because it’s much more stable and I’m able to dose properly. I take one modest rip from my vape pen and I’m golden. I can hang, I don’t get too weird, music is great, and when I’m done being high, I’m done being high. None of that lingering haze that seems to last most of the day. I would suggest if you have access, try to find a high CBD/low Thc strains for an oil vape.

As we move through life, as we change and mature, things fall into and out of favor for each individual. Our neurochemistry, philosophical foundations and physiology are all in constant flux.

All of the answers in this thread are wrong... The reason weed changes for people is because not all weed is the same!! There are many different strains with a very wide range of smells, flavors, effects, ect. I'd think of you noticed a difference in effect. It would be more from a change in strains than it would have to do with any physiology or psychological changes... Just my two cents as someone who grows/studies marijuana science.

Chronic weed smoking can raise estrogen levels in men

The same thing happens with all drugs. Oops I wasted my life and should have studied.

I only get this with strong sativas.

You gotta let your mind conquer the drug as opposed to the drug conquering your mind

I was pretty much exactly the opposite, had horrible anxiety from it but the more I smoked the more I enjoyed it. Eventually had no negative effects at all. It took me about a year of smoking nearly every day for this to happen, though

It’s a very strange drug, it is

The same thing happened to me. I took a few weeks off for a tolerance break and everything went back to normal.

I had this for a couple of years and as stupid as it sounds, I just smoked through that shit. Now you can't get me to go a day without the reefa

it killed my anxiety and depression

lol what. All weed ever did for me is give me good sleep and "chill me down".

This is a great post and all you preps sharing your experiences has really helped me get a better understanding of what's going on with me so thank you all.

1 point · 1 month ago

What age did you start at? I have a theory that this occurs in people who started on the younger side.

It gives me an existential panic attack now. I used to love it. So relaxing, made video games better, made music amazing.

Now, I start making connections about how everyone in my life hates me and is out to get me in some way. How I'm a fake and a fraud.

So I've been dry for three years, because it's just not fun.

I really want to know how to fix this.

I quit weed about 3 years ago but I still smoke it every now and then.

confused_black_guy.jpg

I also thought I would be a lifetime smoker. I smoked pretty much everyday from high school up to the day I had my first child. After she was born I only smoked once or twice a week. It was never the same as when i smoked daily.

Especially the night I bummed a bowl or two of some shiitty brick weed from brother. I had just eaten a big ass meal from Captain D's and then kicked back on the patio and fired up a bowl. About 15 minutes later I thought I was having a heart attack. That weed made me so anxious and paranoid that had to talk myself down because I knew it wa as a panic attack and not a heart attack. I never smoked again after that and it was 10 years ago.

I honestly would love to start smoking again. But with the potency of todays weed and all this other weird shit like wax and shard. I think I would end up in a chicken coop like smokey if i tried getting again.

I smoked for ten years and just this Sunday it sent me into a panic attack and i went to the hospital. My asthma was worse which is no big deal thats why i have an inhaler, but it really fucked me up and my inhaler didnt work and my heart rate skyrocketed. I thought i was going to die... Im a 10 year daily smoker!!! This shouldnt happenen. A couple of times ive smoked since and it gives me anxiety and heart palpitations. I have stopped for a couple of days and i dont know what to do. Have I lost one of the most wonderful things in my life?

People change not weed my guy ✌

Same thing happened to me! I first tried it at 20 I couldn’t stop laughing first few times. Then after that as I got older I experienced same feelings you described no matter who I smoked with or what strains I smoked. It’s bizarre. I cannot even tolerate the smell weed as it triggers anxiety in me now. But hey you know what I am not missing it in my life so I don’t really care if I can’t smoke anymore.

Also I hate the fact that it makes me think too hard. I start to reflect on myself and think about the world so intensely I get depressed. Maybe my brain is not ready for this much enlightenment at once....haha

Ive had similar experiences with MJ. I now have a very love hate relationship with the stuff. Ive gone through many phases with it, ranging from smoking multiple times per day to avoiding the stuff like the plague. Im having some success now with only smoking it occasionally... The shit part about it is that I have chronic pain and it REALLY helps with that... If I could smoke everyday without being an anxious, paranoid wreck I totally would.

Idk just a theory, but most people start in high school correct? Is it possible that it is fun when you don't have any cares in the world as a junior in hs, but when you have to mature and have responsibilities and shit you start to get more paranoid about shit.

1 point · 1 month ago

I had a spout where I would smoke and lose feelings in my arms and start panicing. Honestly I almost quit smoking altogether but something snapped me out of it

Happened to my bro in law. Years of use with no issue, smokes once and had a panic attack, now he can’t smoke. It’s weird, but it happens.

Dude I remember when being high was like being in a different WORLD. Nights would last forever and I would be so blissful - no paranoia, no anxiety. Now I cant smoke without having a panic attack. Shit changes. Shit sucks.

Something similar happened to me and I honestly just had to take a very long break and now I only smoke rarely and take like 1 hit every 30 mins. Suddenly going from sober to super high is what cases the anxiety for me. I can slowly do it no problem.

Something to do with kappa opioid receptors. It's a documented thing!

I believe it has to do with your biological chemistry and the behaviors you partake in while being high. Using it daily will create dependance and elevate tolerance, leading to: compsumption of larger amounts, frequent redosing or both. Naturally, your body chemistry will change to adapt to your new habits, so, coming back to old habits will feel different. Also, if you associate a more complex set of feelings to being high, for example instead of getting high to unwind, relax and feel good once in a while and start using it daily or close to, whenever you decide to unwind with a little bit of weed, chances are you'll feel uncomforatable, or anxious. Since life is filled with moments that can cause anxiety or a general uneasy feeling, being high while experiencing these moments can increment the chance of you associating the feelings you have in those moments with being high.

I find acid is better then weed for me i feel so good when im on acid, everytime I've takin never had a bad moment....but weed makes me feel like im about to die if i smoke too much but when i take small hits i feel fine.

I think theres two things at play.

If you are going through an stressful/anxious time of your life, weed will only enhance it. Life tends to get more stressful as you grow from teenage to full blown adulthood so there's that. At some point weed anxiety will get to you.

Also, if you go from smoking daily and thus developing a tolerance to a more spaced out schedule (Also a normal transition as life goes on) you will become more sensible to all of weed's effects, that includes the anxiety-inducing one.

That's my take on it.

Every euphoric drug, including weed, causes dopamine downregulation overtime. This reduces the feel good feelings you got when first smoking weed.

92 more replies

friendly faces

beaming smiles

Sourcing drugs is NOT allowed here! YOU WILL BE BANNED FOR ASKING OR PROVIDING DRUG OR PARAPHERNALIA SOURCES, whether illegal or legal. This includes: URLs, markets, PMs, etc. Make sure you follow the RULES. When in doubt, DONT.

Have you used our Discord?

Want to hang out with other redditors?

r/Drugs Rules
R1. Follow the submission guidelines
R2. Don't discuss places to buy or sell (sourcing)
R3. Be Nice! - Remember the Human