Welcome to the r/DunderMifflin Rewatch Thread. Please join us in watching today’s episode of The Office (US). Feel free to comment your favorite moments, thoughts, etc. in the comments section below.
If you are interested in watching today’s episode in real time with other viewers from r/DunderMifflin, u/CasdenCool will be hosting a stream at rabb.it/CasdenCool at around 6pm PST. Unfortunately, I know nothing about rabb.it. If you have any questions about the “real time” watch please PM u/CasdenCool.
Also, please keep all spoilers to a minimum. As this re-watch continues there is a possibility that we will pick up some first-time viewers. Let’s be respectful to them and their watch through. Thanks!!
Episode: 14 – The Carpet
Michael's office becomes the victim of an odorous prank which subjects the office to his punishment.
Release Date: 26 January 2006
Run Time: 22 Min
Director: Victor Nelli Jr.
Writers: Paul Lieberstein (Toby)
· Dwight is calling Rock 107 asking if he's the 107th caller for a CD box set. Rock 107 (106.9, WEZX) is the area's classic rock station. They frequently have contests where the 107th caller wins various things.
· Early in the episode, Michael admits to being a fan of Joe Rogan. Coincidentally, Rogan was raised in the same part of Massachusetts (Newton, MA) as both B.J. Novak and John Krasinski.
· The plot of this episode resembles the second episode of the original British series, where a prank is also pulled on the boss, who is prepared to punish the responsible employee until he finds out it was done by his traveling salesman best friend.
· In certain interview shots with Michael, a picture of a sandwich can be seen in the background with a few words blocked out that reads, "The Big Stinky." This is a reference to the plot of this episode.
· Michael Scott: I am a victim of a hate crime. Stanley knows what I'm talking about.
Stanley: That's not what a hate crime is.
Michael Scott: Well, I hated it, a lot, okay.
· Creed: [walks into the office as everyone stares at Michael's awful smelling carpet] Hey, guys. Somebody making soup?
· Michael Scott: I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager, people would laugh when they saw me coming, and would applaud as I walked away.
· Michael Scott: Do you remember Ed Truck?
Creed: Sure. He hired me. How's he doing?
Michael Scott: How would I know?
Creed: I thought you might.
Michael Scott: My biggest fear is turning into him.
Creed: Michael, you should have much bigger fears than that.
Michael Scott: I wasn't talking literally, Creed. Yeah, being buried alive would be worse. Happy? Why am I talking to you?
· Michael Scott: Why would somebody ruin a perfectly good carpet? I don't know. It could be done out of hate. It could be done out of love. It could be completely neutral. Maybe somebody hates the cleaning lady. And, well, she doesn't do a very good job, obviously, because my office
· Michael Scott: You know what? I am beginning to think that what happened to my carpet was an act of terrorism against the office. The only thing that makes any sense.
· Michael Scott: Last week I would've given a kidney to anyone in this office. I would've reached right into my stomach and pulled it out for them. But now, no. I don't have the relationship with these people that I thought I did. I hope they ask, so they can hear me say, "Uh, no. I only give my organs to my real friends. Go get yourself a monkey kidney."
· Michael Scott: Another time, Packer held this guys head in the toilet for like a minute. The guy had no sense of humor about it. Probably why he wasn't hired.
· Michael Scott: You know what? If the guilty person would just come forward and take their punishment, we'd be done.
[Everyone looks around at each other]
Michael Scott: Very well, then you're all punished.
Pam Beesley: What's our punishment?
Michael Scott: You're all in time-out. Just sit there quietly.
[Phyllis' phone rings and she starts to answer it]
Michael Scott: No, no.
· Michael Scott: I am a big "Fear Factor" fan. I'm a big fan of anything Joe Rogan does, actually. So this is sort of like my audition tape.