Sign up and stay connected to your favorite communities.

Screen Cap

Anyone else get unreasonably annoyed when Pam sits back down?

1.2k comments
6.2k points · 11 days ago

And this is so common in college! On the first day of classes, some professors even double-check to make sure everyone is in the right class.

2.7k points · 11 days ago

Had a guy walk in a minute late to one of my classes, look at the syllabus, say “nope, wrong class” then walk out

1.5k points · 11 days ago

I walked into the wrong room one day sat down and didn't even realize it until 20 minutes into the period.

660 points · 11 days ago

I had this happen once but it was 40 minutes in. Almost the whole period, and then I realized that we really want that long without even bringing up the topic of the class.

480 points · 10 days ago

I took a quiz in Heat Transfer for Chemical Engineers once when I was supposed to be in normal Heat Transfer.

Worst part is, I knew almost immediately it was the wrong class but I sat down next to a guy I met the weekend before at a party and was too embarrassed to leave. I answered everything, didn’t sign my name and walked the fuck out after turning it in. Wonder what the TA/professor thought of that quiz and what that dude thought when he never saw me again lol.

My faculty once had a party in the student lounge. I had a few too many drinks, and wandered into a night class. I was too buzzed to fully comprehend what was happening, but it happened to be professor assessment day. When they handed out the anonymous assessment forms, I wrote "I'm not in this class, but I'm drunk and the prof seems like a cool guy."

Terrible hangover the next day though...

I wonder if that evaluation helped him or hurt him

Neither

12 more replies

That's hilarious. But, you'll probably never see the guy again. You may as well have done something entertaining like get up half way through, declare you're in the wrong place, and leave

I dunno he'd probably get a kick out of that

11 more replies

7 more replies

I unfortunately have you beat. I took a class, and two weeks in (4classes) of seeing shit I already knew, thinking "this is gonna be an easy A," I realised I had already took the class and got an A in it. Two weeks!!!! Had to change to another class, just in time for the first exam which I obviously failed miserably. Aced the rest of the semester for a C+. Fuck!

595 points · 11 days ago

Aced all my classes, they called me Ace. Made straight Bs. They called me Buzz.

Beer me that CD... it’s something I say, gets a laugh like a quarter of the time

Lord, Beer me strength

11 points · 10 days ago

How about this global warming, huh? I bet today was supposed to be really cold.

52 points · 10 days ago

Boner champ!

12 more replies

4 more replies

I walked in on the wrong class.....on the wrong day!

5 weeks into a class I sat in the wrong seminar with only 5 other people and the teaching assistant for 10 min before I realized I had never seen any of the people before

This happened to me but the class had been going on for a solid month. Professor recognized I wasn't in the class and asked if he could help me.

I was super confused

I did that too haha, the room for my class had been changed and I didn't know. I go into the class and the mother of one of my childhood friends is the instructor and I was just like "huh I didn't remember seeing her name on the class". Then a few minutes in I realize it's like a sort of remedial writing class and I asked her "Is this not whatever class I was supposed to be in?". I got to my actuall class just in time to miss all the information like what we'll be covering and what the daily routine would be like, etc -_-.

26 more replies

I always make it a point to confirm with whoever I happen to sit next to that this is the class I think it is. Worst case scenario I look like an idiot and I just mosy onto the actual class. Best case scenario, it's the right class and I made a new friend.

34 points · 11 days ago

I was sitting in a class I thought was Thermodynamics. The professor came in and started speaking Spanish, not one word of English. I calmly got up and left. I think she asked me something as I walked out but I didn’t understand and just kept on walking.

Thermodynamics.....en español!

1 more reply

I had a MWThF calculus class that apparently switched rooms on Thu, all the rest of my schedule was TTh. Had no attendance policy so I would only show up on Thu, and go to the wrong room, which was a more advanced calculus class. I didn't realize until, about three weeks in we had our first test, when i pretty skeptically asked a group of kids studying last min why they were using 'that' textbook. I pulled my syllabus out and was like, 'thats not the right text book.' All of them laughed and pulled out there different syllabi. The teacher of my actual class thought it was moronicly humourous and let me retake the one big exam I had missed. I managed a decent grade, but i had a solid decade of stress dreams where i had a class i had completely forgotten about half through a semester.

That's never actually happened to me, yet I have been having similar stress dreams for the last few years.

4 more replies

20 more replies

This is how I met my fiancee. The calendar on my phone was an hour early and I showed up for my first class of my first semester of college an hour early and sat through the wrong class that my now fiancee was in. Talked to her before class started and then we saw each other at lunch and ate together and now we've almost been together for ten years.

And that kids, is how I met your mother.

But she's dead now because we want a copout.

And I’m going off to hook up with your Aunt Robin who really isn’t your aunt and the entire time I was explaining how I met you mother I was explaining how me and Aunt Robin would never work under any circumstances

And that, kids, is how I banged your Aunt Robin again after Barney was banging her for awhile

2 more replies

First day of college, I walked into the LA building, walked into a class and sat down. A lady sits next to me and I ask if this is Writing 101. She responded “I thought this was math”

I got up left lol

Plot twist: you were both wrong.

2 more replies

I sat at the wrong health class for a week. IN HIGH SCHOOL, I blame the teacher for writing my name on the attendance sheet and calling my name for a week also... after the first day I never bothered checking my schedule since I knew my way around

77 points · 11 days ago

Right. I even saw it happen a couple of times. At most, a little light teasing before the professor asks them what class they're supposed to be in, and gives them directions to it.

28 more replies

The professor wanted to look important in front of the cameras. Who also set everything up in the wrong class.

So much about the show doesn't make sense once they reveal the camera crew in season 9.

They sort of always break the 4th wall as far as the camera crew goes, even back in season 1 you can see instances of Michael interacting with them, such as looking right at the camera and saying “Did you get that?” Or when he calls Jan and puts her on speaker and she asks “Are the cameras there?” And quickly and awkwardly hangs up after she realizes they were

Besides, who’d you think they were supposed to be talking to when they all had there individual camera dialogues?

Afghanistananis
588 points · 10 days ago

When Michael crashes the rental car into the lake he opens the back door for the cameraman to escape.

I've seen that episode 20 times, never even noticed him do that. Thanks!

I really wish that YouTube video was titled "Michael Drives His Car Into A F***ing Lake."

6 more replies

Yeah, the talking heads already revealed the fact that it was a documentary.

I mean, the entire premise of the show is that it's a documentary

35 points · 10 days ago

There are some shows that have talking heads and don't pretend to be a documentary. Modern Family comes to mind.

But in the office they make it pretty clear. The characters will be seen interacting with the camera crew in the talking heads.

Like when Jim asks Pam out and she looks at the camera and says, "I'm sorry, what was the question?"

1 more reply

You can't fire me, I don't work in this van!
28 points · 10 days ago

Modern Family is super weird when it comes to this. They occasionally look at the camera when they react to something (just like Jim in the office) but at the same time there are situations where it would be impossible for a camera crew to be present and strangers never seem to acknowledge that there's a camera.

6 more replies

2 more replies

He’s right that there’s a dramatic shift in season 9. But yeah it was always portrayed as a documentary where the camera crew existed in the context of the show.

17 more replies

Disagree, they did pretty well making everyone aware of the crew, the only quarrel I have is with the Boom Guy love subplot. It’d be a different story if it were Parks and Rec, which strayed from the super authentic mockumentary after season 1 (for the better imo)

My favorite was when Mike and Holly were going to have sex and Michael just turned up the volume by accident.

Now they can't hear us at all. We're completely alone.

414 points · 10 days ago

The boom guy love subplot was so hamfisted in. If ever there were a point where the show revealed just how badly it was struggling without Michael Scott, it was then.

I’d also add Andy’s character development. It was all over the place.

181 points · 10 days ago

I thought it was going for a redemption story, to make him more likable by showing he wasn't always a competitive douchebag, but then he went off sailing and dumped his girlfriend.

I have no idea what that character was ever meant to be and neither did the writers.

It's because Ed Helms kept leaving to do movies

3 more replies

Andy never knew what he was meant to be. The lack of support and affirmation from his parents crushed his confidence and direction in life. He tried to make up for it by appealing to his college credentials and trying to make himself overly important and heard at his job. But eventually, he kind of unwound when faced with the boat that reminded him of his disappointing childhood.

Maybe.

5 more replies

5 more replies

4 more replies

Did I stutter?
51 points · 10 days ago

My head canon for Parks and Rec is Leslie imagining someone doing a documentary of her life. She's the main focus because of her eventual destiny to become President.

3 more replies

In Parks they only address the camera once after season one. Season four episode six The End of the World, after Lucy kisses Tom, he turns to the camera and says "You saw that." then he turns to another camera and says "You saw that too". I've been waiting years to say that piece of trivia, thank you.

6 more replies

136 points · 10 days ago · edited 10 days ago

It bothers me in modern family, like I enjoy the commentary but if I think too much about the camera crew and how it would actually work my brain hurts

145 points · 10 days ago · edited 10 days ago

I don't believe Modern Family is actually a mocumentary. It's clearly the same style as The Office and P&R, but the camera crew and the interview segments don't actually exist in the show's universe.

They basically just took the mocumentary format but chose not to commit to incorperating it into the plot.

Gas leak. Everyone is sharing a jacob's ladder scenario.

15 more replies

1 more reply

I did find it weird that they had been shooting the documentary for 9 years before airing the first episode. What is this, Boyhood Office?

22 more replies

60 points · 10 days ago

It's not a reveal though? The premise of it being a documentary is present since the beginning. They reference it frequently, and even interact with the camera every now and then.

19 more replies

13 more replies

Yes! Thank you! I've been annoyed by that for years!! Why not just say, nope...not my class, sorry.

988 points · 10 days ago

More like what professor ever would stop someone from leaving?

I'm honestly more annoyed at the professor for being such a pissant

465 points · 10 days ago

I was pissed at the prof too. I had a professor that made us ask to go to the bathroom until a 45 year old woman stood up to leave, when the prof asked her where she was going because the lesson wasn’t over the lady was like “I’m not a child. I’m paying a thousand bucks to be in this class. I’ll go to the bathroom when I want.”

Had the teacher lost his damn mind? SHE IS NOT A CHILD.

WHAT YOU LOOKIN AT THAT DOOR FOR? THE BATHROOM COULD COME THROUGH THAT DOOR AND IT AINT GONNA HELP YOU

4 more replies

The whole college thing was clunky.

Clean up on Aisle 5...
53 points · 10 days ago

She did set her alarm clock to Zapf Chancery though.

3 more replies

And why would you listen if it’s not even your class?

Me Lobe you
33 points · 11 days ago

I agree

I went to astronomy by accident on my first day, was so out of my depth and yeah those few moments of getting up and leaving would be more embarassing than the slow death of pretending to be in that class. I was just lucky the professor didn't ask me a question, i swear everyone in that class was the next einstein/hawking/tesla/musk the shit coming out of their brains.

10 more replies

19 more replies

I mean, she already gave back the beer that was supposed to be lite, what more can you ask from her?

355 points · 10 days ago

“Don’t call me pammy”

But I think that’s about it.

207 points · 10 days ago

"Why didn't any of you come to my art show last week?"

That too

128 points · 10 days ago

She should’ve followed that with “EXCEPT YOU, OSCAR! THATS RIGHT, I HEARD WHAT YOU SAID, MOFO! MOTEL ART THIS! [flips off Oscar with both hands]”

Gill said that bit. Oscar tried a half assed defense by saying that courage and honesty weren't Pam's strong points.

Which is ridiculous because Pam's art is very honest in its realism. It's simple watercolor still-lifes because she's that kind of person, and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

And Scott kinda got that, I think. Which was really nice.

Hands down the best Michael Scott moment.

Also, Pam's art was the prettiest art of all the art.

40 points · 10 days ago

You know what I find sexy?

Pam's art.

1 more reply

Not that honest in its realism. There were no lines in the parking lot

Living life like a Fart project
8 points · 10 days ago

And two shadows

5 more replies

2 more replies

YES. Like what happened to Pam taking lead in her life? That just went away once Jim was her boyfriend? I love her but I hate that she sat back down.

276 points · 11 days ago

Look out world. Ole' Pammy is sitting back down! I you can still call me Pammy.

Smile if you love mens' prostates!
268 points · 11 days ago

Pam ceases becoming an individual and becomes Jim's life and occasionally someone to make Michael look more sympathetic.

Also Dwight's friend.

7 more replies

4 more replies

113 more replies

246 points · 11 days ago

Yes!!! Especially because it was post " Pammy is getting what she wants. And... don't call me Pammy!"

297 points · 11 days ago
  1. This is not unusual on the first day of classes. In just about every class every semester, someone would stand up and leave early and someone else would inevitably arrive late. Some of it was people being lost, but also people would use it to decide between classes scheduled at the same time, since drop/add day is a few days after the semester starts.

2. Pam, you're an adult. Some other adult can't order you to do anything you don't want to, even if they're teaching a college class. You're not in high school anymore. Seriously, they took down your drawing from the art room and everything.

181 points · 10 days ago

I always cringe at the part when Pam is like “oh maybe it’s still here” like you think they kept your artwork on the wall after 10 damn years?!

Not gonna lie, i’ve done that. I don’t know why, but it’s a weird curious sensation. In high school, I was in a small, 5 student, advance art class. Our artwork was mounted by the trophy cases and we each painted a mural in the art wing. Now I’m wondering if it’s still there or if the new classes had to paint over ours. I should check some time.

10 points · 10 days ago

I think it’s a mix of hope and curiosity. There’s a low chance, but I’m rooting that you find it’s still there though!

Ignorant Slut
3.4k points · 11 days ago · edited 10 days ago

Jim and Pam never stand up for themselves or each other ever

Original Poster2.0k points · 11 days ago

Like when Phyllis made that comment about not giving new leads to whoever she’s sleeping with that week, and they just said “okay”.

And the whole employee of the month thing that Dwight rigged to undermine Jim.

That whole scene with everyone accusing them was annoyingly dependant on the "failure to communicate as a plot device" trope.

It bothers me that they all readily believed Dwight over Jim. It didn't feel like the way they acted toward him was in line with the typical dynamic.

i thought they were playing with the whole concept of "money makes people crazy," so everyone almost immediately went all "lord of the flies" when their promotions were on the line.

Yemen. Everyone here crucifying the office for coming down on Jim and Pam doesn't adequately remember their collective donation raise, parking spot, and vacation day

44 points · 10 days ago

It makes no sense at all. I can't stand that episode, and unfortunately everyone just talks about the scotts tots part about it, which i think is actually funny and not that awkward.

7 more replies

4 more replies

99 points · 10 days ago

I hate when Jim says he was only going by numbers and that he didn't even have the names (which is true because he literally just had a clipboard with numbers that were assigned to employees and Andy translated the numbers to actual names) and everyone immediately gangs up on him as if he knew all along. The cake with his face put it about 50 feet over the top too, Jim would never order a cake to congratulate himself as a fuck you to his employees. The only thing I dislike more about that sub-plot is when he calls David afterwards and he's really mad, then apologizes, then the plot just kind of ends.

Jim doesn't convince the employees that they were wrong, and none of the employees apologize to Jim for screaming at him. It all just fizzles out and doesn't come back up (which I think was good for the rest of the season/series, but not realistic at all). This is the episode I cringe the most at, not because of Scott's Tots (which I never really got uncomfortable over), but because of the sub-plot where none of the characters really act like themselves.

This whole episode just further proved to me that David was the only realistic character in the whole series, as much as I love the show he's the only person that consistently acts like a businessman.

"it could only be you"

Maybe not realistic, but this is a show, and it is funny as fuck.

Andy didn't break his back jumping 15ft into an empty cardboard box

90 points · 10 days ago

YES! Everyone hates that episode because of the scott tots meme, nah...nah, i hate it for that b-plot. It makes no sense. Yeah Jim would definitely order him a cake with his face on it. What the fuck, makes me irrationally angry.

9 more replies

7 more replies

1.3k points · 11 days ago · edited 10 days ago

Holy shit, I literally just watched this episode for the first time (I'm on my first watch through of the show). I was like, "jeez Phyllis, what the fuck?" Plus the whole "didn't see your hands" comment. Went full-on bitch mode for a second there.

1.1k points · 11 days ago · edited 11 days ago

Phyllis became a huge bitch as the show went on. The whole Angela blackmail subplot pissed me off. Also ”Close your mouth sweetie, you look like a trout”

Once she married Bob Vance, from Vance Refrigeration, she gained the confidence to be like that. Marrying a man like Bob Vance, from Vance Refrigeration will do that to someone

Bob Vance, from Vance Refigeration is a Saint!

What line of work is he in?

2 more replies

I LOVED Phyllis standing up to Angela after she shit on her for YEARS! How dare you! Some of you may not know this, but back in high school, I swear, her nickname was Easy Rider!

516 points · 11 days ago

I liked it at first because of how Angela had treated her but then it just became too much and Phyllis had just stooped to Angela’s level. And then her constantly threatening people with Bob also made her come off a bit bitchy.

69 points · 10 days ago

Bob? You must mean Bob Vance from Vance Refrigeration...

I for one love seeing these characters grow and develop over the years. Phyllis goes from relatively shy yet warm to being much more confident and endearing. She may have become meaner, but after she learned to not let people push you around.

Did it get to her head towards the end? I mean she did end up with Bob Vance from Vance Refrigeration, so she must have been doing something right.

342 points · 10 days ago

I didn't find her endearing at all. She became needlessly rude and sadistic. She'd flirt with men because she liked watching Bob beat them up.

“You know her husbands in a wheelchair right?” What the fuck was that line. Phyllis is a POS tbh

12 more replies

What kind of work are you in, Bob?

6 more replies

2 more replies

Well Angela did treat Phyllis like shit the whole time before that.

30 more replies

The only time i set the bar low is for limbo
9 points · 10 days ago

Phyllis is the most un-likeable person on this show in the latest seasons. In the first seasons she was this shy and sweet grandmother-like gal, but she turned in to a real bag of bitch

11 more replies

Also the episode where Jim and Michael are co-managing and Oscar makes a public comment that he only gave Pam a raise because they’re sleeping together .. it actually made me kinda hate Oscar lol.. and all jim had to say about that was “woah”. No fucking backbone.

1 more reply

"bitch next 3 clients are going to Stanley"

I live in a fantasy world.
37 points · 10 days ago

That's Jim's way of dealing with things. Make it quick and hopefully not more awkward than it has to be. The me way.

17 more replies

326 points · 11 days ago

I like how fast Jim tries to ditch Pam at the dinner party. "Dinner sounded great. Pam, see you at home."

“You are not going to leave this party here by itself!”

159 points · 10 days ago

You can buy new stuff but you can't buy a new party

3 more replies

Yeah, if I tried that my lady would crucify me

4 more replies

It’s hard for me to watch the episodes with Charles Miner because Jim lets him walk all over him. But forreal fuck Charles Miner tho

Jim gets smart and plays him a little bit once he finds out that he's actually just a major kiss-ass to David Wallace.

2 more replies

Seriously. How hard would it have been to explain the tux without mentioning that it was a prank?

"Why are you wearing a tuxedo?"

"Oh, I've got a wedding to go to right after work and I didn't think I'd have time to get ready, so I figured it's better to wear it for a day than risk being late."

Of course out of earshot of Dwight, who would inevitably spend the entire day proving Jim to be full of shit about the wedding.

And why didn’t Jim google what a rundown is?

And how did he never do that or know what it was?

Having worked in many offices, my reaction was... Literally ask. It's way worse to hand in something that's wrong than to look stupid asking. You can even laugh it off when he explains and and be like, "Oh Michael called that a briefing! Haha I'll get right on it!" Infuriating. Be an adult.

11 more replies

Weddings are usually on Saturdays, or at least Fridays. I don’t think Miner would start on a Friday. I don’t think Charles would have bought it.

He should have said he has a “formal private function immediately after work.” And then he could have just kept his head down for the day.

But I like the writer’s story better than mine ;)

"It's a quick courthouse thing before he goes overseas."

Yeah the more details you add the less believable it gets.

“Tuxedo courthouse wedding on a Monday before overseas travel.”

12 more replies

57 points · 10 days ago

I hope I never encounter a Charles Miner in my professional career. I would have no idea how to act with someone like that

He was just immune to Jim's charm which worked on almost everyone, and respected work ethic and effort over anything else. Jim goofed off a lot and didn't try very hard or take his job as a paper salesman super seriously. Dwight did, and that's why he liked Dwight so much until he realized how weird and inappropriate Dwight's behavior was.

Exactly. Jim was not a very good employee. He might have hit numbers but he didn't Excel. He didn't even try.

65 points · 10 days ago

Word.

That’s a powerful point right there.

It's nice to have that sort of Outlook in life

Sometime it's really nice to Access your inner self y'know

1 more reply

It wasn’t until he started getting the Sabre commissions that he became a valuable employee, until of course he hit his cap 😂

He responds to incentives, which he should.

10 more replies

It’s pronounced Sabre

53 points · 10 days ago

I think it was clear Charles was a bad judge of character. He assigned everyone to roles they weren’t suited to and made crazy Dwight his go-to-guy.

Who's your worm guy?
17 points · 10 days ago

I want Kevin on the phones. Stanley, I want you to be my productivity czar.

7 more replies

I definitely thought he was closer to the managers I’ve had in my career. Actually took the job serious.

6 more replies

3 more replies

Jim sort of stands up for himself (and even because of Pam as well since he was planning for bigger things financially) when he attempts to call Ryan about not pushing him out.

142 points · 11 days ago

Like real people, they develop throughout the show. Pam learns to stand up for herself around when she insists that Michael use the surplus to buy chairs instead of a copier

And sticking to her claim of being the office manager against Gabe trying to call her a liar. And when she wanted one of her beers to be lite at the bar.

Not when she let Andy's ripped scrotum stay on her floor the night before the wedding though. He did NOT tear his penis though, for Erin's information.

There's a difference between standing up for yourself and doing things for your friends when they need it

41 points · 10 days ago

I mean. She was a liar.

4 more replies

They did use this as a big portion of her character development in how she admits she needs to voice her opinion and stand up for herself followed by the scene where she returned her drink at the bar that was given wrong.

Like when Toby tried to feel Pam up. Jim just sat there with his stupid Jim face.

I mean Toby did run away right after and basically quit.

Toby fled the country.

1 more reply

"GOVERNMENT-CREATED KILLER NANOROBOT INFECTION"
275 points · 11 days ago

The knee thing? What would've been the reasonable reaction?

We're not going to sit in a circle Indian style, are we?
330 points · 11 days ago

Yeah idk. I think Jim is usually too passive, but in that instance when it was clearly a mistake it would have been kind of pathetic to make a bigger scene about it

"GOVERNMENT-CREATED KILLER NANOROBOT INFECTION"
190 points · 11 days ago

Exactly, it was embarrassing for Toby enough to run away

232 points · 10 days ago · edited 10 days ago

Toby fled the country.

1 more reply

Hey Toby, wtf are you doing. You are head of HR. You should know that is inappropriate right? And then break all of the bones in his hand with one crushing move of course./s

65 points · 11 days ago

Hm I might have looked at Toby and said something like “whatcha doing Toby?”

22 points · 10 days ago

Put your hand on his thighs

I think you mean "uhhhhh whatcha doing Toby?" jim face

10 more replies

53 points · 10 days ago

Yeah but it’s not like Jim is Roy and would freak out. He knew Toby just fucked up and probably could tell by his reaction that he knew it too.

6 more replies

Pam literally has an episode where she focuses on standing up for herself. Which leads to her being outspoken at the beach day which leads to them being together.... Do you know what "ever" means?

139 points · 11 days ago

And it only took three years to summon up the courage.

And don't call her Pammy!

Pam and her Pam-Pams!

1 more reply

No, but Jimothy still handles it better by working it to his own amusement as long as it's not something directly affecting his credibility in the workplace.

This annoys me the most. As much as I love the show, they are both so lukewarm and milquetoasty that it absolutely annoys me. I can’t stand how much of a bitch Jim is and his lack of a backbone when he’s confronted. I liked how Pam started standing up for herself during the Beach Day episode. But she reverts to milquetoast Pam after her and Jim get together. It’s frustrating.

53 more replies

This annoyed me too. I’d rather not miss my first actual class? Such a pushover moment.

No professor ever would demand for her to sit back down. But I guess she just does because she doesn't want to be embarrass herself in front of the whole class by explaining that she was in the wrong place.

I wouldn't say no professor, they are an extremely diverse group.

I had an awful professor that required a doctors note if you were out sick, like what the hell most people don't go to the doctors for a common cold. She was the WORST

10 more replies

I had a professor stop a student midway to his seat to scream at him and make him an « example » cause he was 2 minutes late on a winter storm day.. i second your statement, very diverse

I had a professor this semester stop class in a 150 person lecture to wake up a girl who was sleeping. He even made the girl next to her tap her awake, which obviously embarrassed her just being caught in the crossfire. Some profs feel the need to go on a power trip for some reason

3 more replies

True. And it always annoys me in movies/shows when there is a bell to signify the end of class. I went to a small college so idk if it’s different there. But there were no bells. Classes run at different times, and sometimes overlap, and it’s not like high school where you have consecutive classes. Sometimes your first class is 8-9 and then your second class is at 11-12:30.

2 more replies

Dwight! Get out of my nook!
48 points · 11 days ago

Yes. I yell at her every time!

More annoyed at the professor. No respectable college professor would act like this. But yeah, also annoyed that Pam didn't just leave.

I signed up for a jazz class. All it said was “jazz elective” so on my first day I grab my sax and head to the classroom. I open the door and there were hella people in jazz shirts and fedoras and shit. It was a jazz dancing class and I showed up with a music sheet stand and my sax... ),:

37 points · 11 days ago

100%

Pam is kind of a bitch. - Karen Filipelli

Yes! I mean just walk out, she's not your professor, who cares if she gets pissy??

Yes, but I didn’t take this as weakness on Pam’s part so much as just lazy writing.

2 more replies

This scene makes me so mad. Just leave!

28 points · 11 days ago · edited 9 days ago

I do, but its real. We've all had that moment/moments where we failed a social test like this. We grow.

371 points · 11 days ago

Pam was annoying the entire last season. I can’t stand how she made Jim quit Athlead

190 points · 11 days ago

I thought it was called Stumpany. Located in Philawhatever.

So you know my job has something to do with sports, but you don't know the end of the word "Philadelphia"?

108 points · 11 days ago

Philadelphia. From the greek "phila" meaning "love," and "adelph", meaning "Adolf." - "The city that loves Adolf."

I see this said a lot and have never really understood it myself. They had TWO kids and a house, and Jim had taken the job and invested their savings (more than they had discussed) without consulting Pam. That's a hugely hugely unfair position to put Pam in, and she went along with it because she knew how important it was to Jim. It took her a while to come to terms with her feelings, and when she finally did, all she told Jim was that she didn't want to do this and didn't want to move to Philly. That's not unfair, in my eyes, since Jim forcibly put them in this position. Yes, Pam should have been more clear with her feelings in the first place, absolutely. I'm not saying Jim is the bad guy here, I think they are both nice people and were trying their best to support each other while also trying to discover where they want to go in life.

When you're married, you're future plans are not just yours anymore. It's shared 100%. I always thought this Jim and Pam arc was really well done and really "real", but I know plenty of people disagree with me. I think its important to not understate how importa t having two kids here is, as well as a wife. Just a different perspective!

It really bothers me that Jim wasn’t honest with her about his dissatisfaction at Dunder Mifflin. Like, when you have a spouse you can’t just hide your happiness from them! That’s something you need to discuss together and figure out together because changing jobs is a huge deal in a marriage.

And when he gets super upset that she wasn’t able to record Cece’s recital. Like of course that blows, but it’s not Pam’s fault he’s missing this event. He’s absolutely entitled to his feelings but he is absolutely not allowed to blame Pam for him being unable to see the recital. Ugh and then she hangs up the phone and talks to the damn sound guy about it! Talk to your husband lady! Bah. Honestly though the fact that I find all this so upsetting speaks to how real the writing is.

well in that moment they are both flustered and both acting more emotional and irrational than they would otherwise (although not that different). jim's behavior is typical given how we have seen him respond to stress/dissapointment in the past + whatever is going on with the company when he calls Pam.

4 more replies

112 points · 11 days ago

I can’t watch that episode. Like he leaves her to deal with everything alone indefinitely, yells at her and makes her cry, and then later gets mad at her when he finds out she cried because he doesn’t know what’s happening in his marriage. “Courageous” Pam shouldn’t have just taken that and Jim should’ve told her earlier he didn’t want his life to be stagnant so they could’ve made those decisions together.

This is soooooo my feeling as well. I HATE Jim’s reaction to finding out she cried to Brian about the situation they were in. Like it was her fault? She tries to talk and he is always the one saying he has to go (after getting called back into a meeting after finding out she didn’t record the pageant) or leaving (when he was going to go back to Philly on V-day because he didn’t want to fight). He didn’t listen to her way too often for me to feel comfortable with. If I found out my partner was crying and didn’t feel like they could tell me they were upset, I would feel like absolute shit. Maybe he did still feel bad, but if his reaction is to double-down and make her feel worse, then that’s the WRONG reaction, IMO. I know this sub mostly feels like Pam is to blame, but I’ll go to my grave believing Jim had more offenses in this situation. Every relationship has different expectations, so everyone’s entitled to different feelings of “fairness”, of course, so at this point it’s all just continued analysis into the same issues.

58 points · 10 days ago

YES! And people think Brian is a bad guy. He was a little weird when he told her she could always come to him but he didn’t cross any major boundaries he just saw someone he’d known for years alone and hurting. It bothers me too how often Jim wants to avoid his own marriage. I get so frustrated when Pam has to convince him not to leave so they can fight. You’re years into a marriage and don’t know that arguing can be healthy? Cmon. We’ll have to start a secret club of people who don’t hate Pam for trying to hold up a marriage and family on her own. The more I rewatch the show the more these little things Jim does bother me.

4 more replies

5 more replies

One episode she talks to the sound guy, next he protects her from the warehouse guy, next episode they have lunch and turns out they have been friends for a while, next episode sound guy says they captured more then they knew they did and he tries to hit on her and then he's gone. It was a weird little role but the actor is awesome in his small role in Silicon Valley.

9 more replies

actually
82 points · 11 days ago

I completely agree. Pam couldn't deny her feelings about not wanting to move to Philly. And forcing her to act as a single parent wasn't fair either. Pam moving to NY to attend art school for 3 months with no kids is one thing. But once young kids are in the picture, it's a whole different ball game (no pun intended). That is not a job any parent should do alone.

80 points · 11 days ago

I agree this story arc was well-written. People on this sub always try and argue that this Pam is so annoying and the Pam they know wouldn’t do that or put poor Jim through something like this so therefore this arc is out of place. Marriage and children change EVERYTHING, and Pam was beyond supportive considering what Jim pulled and the amount of stress she was under. The Pam people know and love from the earlier seasons was a doormat, and then she grew as a character. They both did.

Kind of reminds me how everyone shit on Skylar in Breaking Bad because she wouldn't let her husband run a meth empire.

Inb4 "She cheated on him!" Yeah that's not as bad as murder and meth empire. Sorry.

24 points · 10 days ago

Not to mention the relationship was abusive at that point. Cheating was the only way she had of not taking his shit

27 more replies

17 more replies

8 points · 10 days ago

I’m more annoyed at the professor who tells her to sit back down. What is this elementary school? I would’ve said fuck you! I’m outta here

206 more replies

A sub-reddit for the fans and critics of the show The Office. Discussion of the show, pictures from the show and anything else The Office related.

r/DunderMifflin Rules