Shower Thought: I've never made money online by reading a post on 'how to make money online'.

[removed]

You can make money online by running a blog on how to make money online :)

Comment deleted7 months ago(3 children)

TaiLopez.com

Here in my garage. I needed 100 bookshelves to fit all my lamborghinis.

Hahahaha

"Digital Entrepreneur 101": sell a course teaching how to sell a course.

Plot twist!

Its frusting as a web developer, my customers have brought into the rubbish that some of them spout. ( not all rubbish ). Also the advice is not always applicable to their usage. Often they will trust what they have said over me...

And then there will be other people posting “I never make money online by reading your blog” lol

So meta

Well, Reddit has saved me from total lack of income due to illness. While I haven't made a fortune I can tell you that many subreddits here are a blessing. I have indeed made money online , maybe just a little, but indeed I have.

Any subs recommended?

Workonline, beermoney, slavelabour, forhire, freebies, paidstudy

Pretty much companies that pay slave wages through loopholes and take advantage of people who are disabled or can't work traditional jobs due to some other reason. Some as bad as pennies an hour for work where you do unpaid training and employers can reuse payments post work.

/r/juststart is decent if you want to try building your own websites to earn from affiliate or display ads.

The best way to get rich during the California Gold Rush was selling mining pans...

So you’re telling me to sell bitcoin wallets to people?

You got me thinking now lmao.

Wow, that is a fantastic business quote. Thank you.

Jeans, denim jeans actually. See Levi’s

So true.. If you want to make money online then you just gotta take action.. Check this blog out about the reality of making money online.. hits the nail on the head http://nobsinternetmarketer.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/making-money-online-it-all-starts-with.html

Comment deleted7 months ago(1 child)

Yeah, it's stickied in making money subforum in BHW https://i.imgur.com/4Ht7Uhb.png

I agree about it being much better and more realistic than other articles. One question: how long have you given a new website to start the upward trend before abandoning? You don't want to bail too soon as you said, but I've also seen people hang on to an idea far too long too.

Its only getting longer from my experience. My most recent round of sites took around five month to start getting traffic from Google.

Breathe of fresh air compared to 95% of gunk out there. Patience and doing irl work in the meantime is key.

Great article

Weirdly enough, I have!

Half a decade ago, now, I read a post (since deleted, on /r/beermoney) about publishing fiction on Amazon for cash. I was in a volunteer position and subsisting on less than minimum wage, so I figured it was worth a shot.

I never developed my writing into a full-time business, mainly because my career started taking up more time and growing, but it's continued to be a pleasant source of side income, enough during most years to max out my IRA and pay for daily coffee besides that.

Of course, I think that this post was back before the "viral promoters" took over quite so much. Back then, people shared opportunities because it was a cool new opportunity, and not a million people were looking.

I've seen you post about this a few times over the years. Out of interest, did you look up popular and niche keywords and base any books around that?

I've definitely written books to trend, and also some niche stories. Niches are difficult because you often need to commit to it, putting out multiple books in that niche to establish your pen name. That's not a problem with perennial niches, but it makes it difficult to jump into a niche that's hit a sudden surge of popularity which likely won't last.

Trends, on the other hand, can be ridden (like a surfer riding waves) if you catch them and write quickly! For example, werewolf and shifter books did amazingly well 3-4 years ago, and I put out a couple in that category that did great.

Still, I think my best move was to find a category I liked and to settle there. This way, I've built an audience, I don't need to worry about market research quite so much, and while I may not make as much with each book, it also means that a book is less likely to totally crash and make nothing. Also, since I like this category, it's easy enough to get myself motivated to write another book for it!

In which genre do you write?

Started in erotica with short stories, mostly to get some quick sales and to get a handle on the whole ebook publishing. Along with writing come the challenges of advertising, branding, managing a mailing list, marketing yourself, building a niche, etc...

Since then, I've switched more to romance novels, which have a higher earnings ceiling. I've tried a couple other genres, sci-fi and fantasy, but romance has the greatest number of dedicated readers (plus, by this point, I'm really good at writing romances!).

Thanks for your response!

Good on you!

Ahh when r/eroticauthors used to be active

Comment deleted7 months ago(27 children)

Absolutely true, half my friends don't know exactly what I do because I'm that concerned about this.

I don't know how people fall for the 'how to make money online' stuff. If the guy selling you this shit (course, ebook etc) is making so much money, why the hell is he wasting his time selling a course on how to do it. Just do the original thing more!

It isn't just online.

True story: I met a man who was running courses and seminars on "how to earn money on the property market by buying and renting houses". I asked him what led him to doing that.

He told me that he had been able to give up his job through buying houses and renting them out. In doing this, he developed a process for determining whether or not a house would be profitable to rent out - and hence, whether or not it was worth buying.

"So", I ask, "why are you running these seminars rather than buying more houses?".

Apparently, he hadn't been able to find any houses worth buying for a long time.

Honestly tho. How much time could it take to buy and rent out houses. He’s gotta do something with his spare time. Why not teach others? For a price ofcorse

Not really what I was driving at.

Here was a man peddling a get rich scheme, and in telling me about it, he also (probably inadvertently) revealed that it wouldn’t work.

Businesses have to adjust their models all the time; it’s an inevitability of a free market. Here was a man who had clearly realised his model didn’t really work any more, but instead of changing it he was going to charge people to learn all about it.

I can see how people fall for it, some people (especially online) are really convincing. You want to believe that they're actually helping you. Sadly, some people just either aren't business savvy, don't have the drive to push through the initial start of things, or just continue to fall into the pit of curiosity.

sorry, meant to reply to /u/ginrun. But it's good to hear you ended up putting that guy in the hot seat.

Here's the problem with Internet discussion - tone is completely lost.

I wasn't grilling him, it was a genuine honest question in the context of a "so, what's your business?"-type discussion. On the face of it, the idea of a seminar to teach people how to profitably choose property to invest in sounds like a perfectly sound business model - after all, lots of people like the idea of investing in property and nobody wants to think they're making a poor investment.

The problem is, despite the fairly solid evidence staring him in the face he honestly had not realised that maybe his house-selection process might needed some work, nor did he realise that what he'd told me might affect his credibility.

I actually think a lot of businesses flounder for far too long because nobody ever says to your face "you've got a clear problem and this is what it is".

Sure, and yes sorry if it seemed like I misinterpreted the tone of that (I doubt you’d waste your time going to his seminar just to heckle him). By the hot seat, I suppose I mean asking him the uncomfortable questions that his friends and family probably haven’t - or that he hasn’t asked himself.

It’s always good to have a high level mentor that can bring to light your business problems without making it personal.

Sometimes I find it frustrating, I wish I could share my ideas online for criticism but at the same time I'm worried there's a chance my idea(s) is/are good and someone else will use my idea.

Odds are the idea isn't as good or revolutionary as you may think but is it really worth the risk? Ideas are worth very little, I know that. I just feel as though it might be irresponsible to share a concept before I'm at a point where there's something substantial to show for that reason.

I've even seen people's ideas on here sometimes and instinctively start thinking about how I could make it happen if I think it might be a great idea.

It’s unlikely your idea is unique, but there’s a risk there. My advice, find a few people you trust (can be online or in person) and run the ideas past them.

If it’s someone you’re close with it’s highly unlikely they’ll rip you off (I wouldn’t be close with someone if I suspected they would) If it’s someone you’re not, select someone who is already successful in a different field. Their advice will be valuable but they’ll likely have bigger fish to fry than to steal your startup idea.

I agree with this a ton. To add to this, and maybe even something people should consider before running it by others is to simply do some desktop research - look up porter's 5 forces and run your idea through the framework

• are there a ton of substitutes?

• Alternatives?

• Barriers to entry (too low and everyone can join in with ease and compete, too high, and you might not make it yourself)?

• How's the bargaining power of your customers?

• Suppliers?

I used to be in a few wantrepreneur circles, and I found that everyone who had that great idea they didn't want to let go of NEVER did this basic exercise. As a result, I would leave the group because 4 idiots wanted to throw their money at an idea that has no unique value proposition and would either be competing in a congested competitive space or trying to sell to a market that isn't there. Every aspect of Porter's framework showed that it would be incredibly hard to make any headway.

I'm simply amazed at people who don't do this...or for those who don't know about Porter...I'm simply amazed at people who don't think to just understand the competitive space they may be entering.

The greatest part of this exercise is that once you do it, you either validate your business or invalidate it. In the process of invalidating you often find out that maybe the idea will work with a few tweaks - or you come across a totally different idea.

Those really successful entrepreneurs - this type of stuff is a 2nd language to them. They can vet out an idea, visualize a potential supply chain and marketing strategy in minutes. Doing this desktop research should be everyone's "rosetta stone" for entrepreneurship.

Freaking spot on rant dude! Love the PORTER name drop

Thanks! I have an MBA, and I worked in industry (food manufacturing/marketing) for 7 years. Every new business opportunity requires a real entrepreneurial mindset - doing this legwork works, and if this doesn't come naturally (to most it won't) then you need to sit down and do the legwork.

Just when I think I have a good idea, I google it and turns out someone already did it, if I ever come up with one that isn't on the internet, I'm all in.

4 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

I think it's mainly about three things:

• Can other people copy your idea without much effort? I.e. if you are starting a gardening shop - that in itself is an idea that can be copied freely, because it takes lots of effort to actually do it. If it doesn't take any effort to build your idea, it may be useful to rethink it, because most people may not be interested in low-effort products (i.e. the next emoji app).

• Does the product depend on skill (from humans), so that it can't be automated? Ex. I could tell you that I open a bakery and you could copy that idea. But in the end, the quality of the product depends on human skill, not on the idea.

• If the idea does not depend on human skill and takes effort: do you have a significant head start or think that the reader can't replicate your idea faster than you? If yes, you can tell him the idea, because even if he tries to be similar, you will be first (which can matter a lot).

"Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will have to ram it down their throats." - Howard H. Aiken

This times 1000. People make me laugh when they refuse to share an idea because they're worried it will be stolen or copied. ..Like your idea to automate food delivery so that you can get hopped up on marijuana and have fresh donuts delivered to you at 3am is a real important fucking breakthrough for our world.

There is no way you can formulate an idea worth stealing in two paragraphs that a bunch of people didn't think of too and tried already.

It's all about execution.

To find out more, buy my $99 course.

But educating yourself online, be it courses, lectures, audiobooks, podcasts, or articles, might lead to more knowledge and self improvement that might lead to a successful career or business right?

Isn't there a reason whenever you read about a successful person that they were once voracious reader or the like?

It's not mutually exclusive. He can create an online course AND do the original thing. The cost to create an online course is upfront. Afterwards, everything else is profit (minus time for future sales/marketing).

Judging from your one post, are you talking about owning a grocery store?

1 point · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

Believably, that one post doesn't disclose my entire business life.

I was considering purchasing a grocery store, I didn't in the end.

Also, not much risk posting that on here, not exactly an original idea. Unless, I guess a user was also considering opening a grocery store on the same street as the one I was purchasing, seems unlikely.

This sentiment is based on the premise that most humans aren’t lazy fucks that aren’t compelled to execute.

Obviously. If you have a good way of making money the last thing you want to do is let the World know how to do the same thing. You'll be squeezed out in an instant.

I beg to differ. There are many valid ideas being shared; however, reading ideas won't make you money.

I think it comes down to actually putting the effort in to realize the idea. I once read about a group of people who had an idea but did nothing with it, then someone came up with the idea and started to sell the product. The first group tried to sue but obviously that ended in failure.

Yep. This isn't "how to make money," but the only articles I've ever really found helpful around ones on how to save money.

They usually end with a pitch for a course on how to build courses.

Have you actually tried?

I had to do some light social media work at the office, so I checked YouTube on how to make the most of social media and grow your audience. It's unbelievable how maybe people are doing a 10min video on how to be a social media pro but only have a few hundred views. It's like a homeless person teaching people how to make money. Proof is in the pudding

I think it just comes down to consistency.

Find a steady schedule, and you'll be seen everyday. Thus able to grow

I think if you upload videos people enjoy on a fairly regularly basis, then that's where you make money. There are some YT who post so regularly and have so many subscribers I wonder how much they do make, some of them say it's enough to support their life style.

I've read plenty of these "how to make money online" blog posts and always chuckle when they push those ridiculous online slave labor services like Amazon Mechanical Turks. You would have to work harder on those sites to earn any wage at all than you would need to work to learn actual valuable skills.

There's actually a lot of solid business info on Reddit if you know where to look. You won't find it on someone's blog for getting rich quick.

For example, over on /r/ppc and /r/adops, there are some very senior experienced folks from all aspects of the industry dropping very solid knowledge or providing great answers to questions. I say this as someone who has worked at a top media agency with Fortune 50 accounts, so I am able to accurately judge the quality of what they say.

Of course if you go there and ask something dumb like "how do I make moneys with the ppc?" You'll be ignored. But if you have a campaign you are testing, can share data and examples and ask for ways to improve things, you'll get a lot of knowledge dropped on you for free that companies regularly pay 4-5 figures a month in fees for.

I have

I’ve made decent side money by creating photography and drone training courses and selling Lightroom presets. If you want to make money online, I suggest teaching other people how to do what you are good at.

I have made money online after reading posts in this sub. Started a blog after reading a post of themodestman. Not much money but enough for a side hustle.

This is ultimately what I'd like to do, develop a side hustle with enough regularly income to buy some nice things every now and then.

Well let me tell you about lipsense then!

Yep. This isn't "making money," but the only articles I find helpful are the ones with tips on how to save money.

Is it because the ideas are so poor they didnt work? Or did you not put real effort into them to make thek work? Ideas on how to make money online are fun to read but dont mean anything if you dont committ serious effort over at least a few months in most cases.

That's the problem I see with "wantrepreneurs". They read and read all these blogs/articles/books etc.

Only a few of them actually take action on what they've learned from reading.

Then even fewer of them actually continue to put forth effort beyond a few weeks and quit when they don't see the results they were expecting.

Successful people are successful because they actually put forth a lot of effort, and more importantly consistent effort towards their goals. This takes months, sometimes years before seeing any result worth sharing with their friends and family. They didn't let one or even ten failures stop them. They're successful because they actually:

1. Did something

2. Continued to do that something

3. Never stopped learning and bettering themselves/their business

Those who complain about people sharing/selling knowledge are just haters who never actually dedicated themselves to that something for more than a few weeks.

/rant

Anyone that says they can teach you how to become a millionaire is full of shit.

If someone could teach you to do something that would make millions then they'd never spend the time teaching it, they'd be doing it all the time.

If you fall for any of these types of schemes you're an idiot and should probably steer away from entrepreneurship in general as you're bound to loose a lot of money before luck finds you.

ain't that the truth. It's a miracle people still fall for that.

The only way to make money from reading one of those is to design another course teaching others to make money online. It's onlinemoneymakingception.

Or just buy a variety of cryptocurrencies.

There is posts about how to online. Usually a blog of someone or self post sites.

You wont see top 10 ways to make money on forbes or yahoo that actually work

Absolutely, I hate these posts, but their prevalence and flashy claims all but guarantee they've piqued the entrepreneurial interests of the least business-minded people- many of whom (drawn in by the promise of extravagant returns) I'm sure have seen through their bullshit and are now tackling legit ventures in hopes of seeing those same returns (but are now more likely to actually see them). ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I sort of have. But I read a lot... Then did things.. then made a tiiiiiny amount lol

Haha. Same here! Actually I have made a blog, but currently I am focusing on building my brand instead of making money. Maybe I will make money in next couple of months, if everything gone as per the plan.

Let me tell you about my new start-up, Pyramid Financial Strategies...

I'm starting a vlog. Classic, I know. I'll vlog everything I know about how to build, grow then scale a business. Should be fun.

In the old days you self published the book on the topic. Then you could say, "as a matter of fact I did write the book on that"

I imagine you need alot of traffic or a big install base to make worthwhile amounts, youtube pays if you have enough followers (maybe not so much now they changed the rules and YT are turning to Pateron). Or affiliate links if you have a big enough blog/website.

So true! But I’ve also never not made money by reading a post on how not to make money... coincidence?

You will never make money by reading something...

Unless you're a proofreader.

Nothing that made me go full time, but Ive made money.

Affiliate and adsense mostly. A few thousands after lots of hard work and time.

Once trough joining forces with a partner who sent lots of traffic trough facebook and once trough my own work only, doing good blog posts + videos.

I still need to learn a lot more to create a real business out of it, but I feel that Im getting there.

after spending 300$ i learmed it

Porter's five forces analysis

Porter's Five Forces Framework is a tool for analyzing competition of a business. It draws from industrial organization (IO) economics to derive five forces that determine the competitive intensity and, therefore, the attractiveness (or lack of it) of an industry in terms of its profitability. An "unattractive" industry is one in which the effect of these five forces reduces overall profitability. The most unattractive industry would be one approaching "pure competition", in which available profits for all firms are driven to normal profit levels.

[ ^PM | Exclude ^me | Exclude from ^subreddit | FAQ / ^Information | ^Source | ^Donate ] Downvote to remove | v0.28

I first discovered Amazon Mechanical Turk while reading about ways to make money online. It's slave labor, but I made enough money from it in a few months to buy a PS3 and a game. Never really went back to it after that, though.

Nowadays I make better money online doing things I didn't read about.

Yeah im currently trying to run a shopify store and i opened it not to long ago but its more like a picture gallery than a store at this point i need some pointers would anyone look at my shop and give me some feedback

Store: Two-brothers-buys.myshopify.com

Email: Jlbanksgroup@gmail.com Banksjustin968@gmail.com

Also while in my store you can contact me on messenger i have that feature.

Comment deleted7 months ago(0 children)

Thanks for honesty like i said this is the first time i jumped in so i appreciate good constructive criticism. One question what are some directions i could go for a supplier and i have been working on my smartphone so it makes the site look good on my phone but i will definitely go thru it

A community of individuals who seek to solve problems, network professionally, collaborate on projects and make the world a better place. Be professional, humble, and open to new ideas.

r/Entrepreneur Rules
No personal attacks
Link disguised as self post
Comment karma
Unlabeled NSFW
Unprofessional communication
No "Free" Offerings Threads
Upcoming AMA

Jacky Chou And Albert Liu: We went from -3k to 250k USD a month on our dropshipping site, and we were contacted by Oberlo (subsidiary of Shopify) to do an interview. AMA about the truth of dropshipping.

- Wednesday, August 1st, 11:00am ET

gBETA Medtech is a free seven-week accelerator that works with five medical device, healthcare-related software, biotech and diagnostics startups per program.

- Tuesday, August 14th 12:00pm ET