[Image] Love yourself

How does one tell if a dog doesn’t love itself :(

2.8k points · 1 month ago

Probably a rescue dog with anxiety who is working through a lot of fears. It would be cool if this post got someone motivated to adopt and rehabilitate a dog who needs a lot of TLC.

Rescue pups are the best pups. I'm convinced that, as scarred as they can be, they KNOW they've been rescued and remember their previous life, and are eternally grateful for it.

At least, that's how my rescue pup always acted.

I couldn't agree more. My parents in law adopted a giant Staffordshire terrier (110lbs) who'd had a really rough life up to that point.

3 months in and he's the sweetest most teddy bear animal ever, and there's just something extra there. You cant quite put your finger on it, but you can tell the dog understands to an extent.

Can I get a picture of him? I adore Staffies

Looks like such a gentle giant! 10/10 good boy

He's got a great life and a great family now, and he enjoys every second of it.

Love to hear it. Nothing breaks my heart more than a mistreated dog.

He’s stunning!

Omg! He's perfect!

Thank you so much for this he's such a cutie.

Most pitties I've met have a human like quality to them. Really smart, empathetic, protective pups.

2 more replies

When anyone says staffies I always assume the bull terrier, I was a little surprised to see how big it was and remembered there are American Staffordshire terriers

5 more replies

224 points · 1 month ago

Mine does. That’s for sure.

Same here. She won't let me out of her sight. Dogs are smart ❤️

Mine too, he keeps following me around all over the house. He’s really a sweetheart ❤️

Comment deleted1 month ago

4 more replies

Yep mine too

We adopted two eight year old, bonded females. Very reactive, lots of issues but so adorable also. We are working hard to help them relax and letting go of the issues that we don’t think can be resolved. One day at a time. Adopt a senior dog. They get dumped and many times are great family dogs. Not all Of them have issues like ours. They need you.

28 points · 1 month ago

We adopted a little old man, guess was about 9. He had major issues and came from years of neglect and abuse. He was a mush one second but he could turn on you in a split second. Especially if he started dozing while you were petting him. He would be reactive when he would wake up and you touched him. Over time and a lot of trust building work you could see the effort he tried to slow down his instinct and slow himself down mid bite attempt. And then mush up to you. We gave him sooo much love and he brought us so much joy. Glad we found each other. He taught us as much as we taught him. We gave him an amazing last 2 years of his life and he truly got to know what love was.

My dog is the same way. He was the runt of his litter, dachshund, and his owner decided he’d be a perfect soccer ball. Long story short, he permanently cowers when you go to pet him unless he’s ecstatic to see you he will rarely leave my side and thinks I’m the best thing on this earth.

5 more replies

58 points · 1 month ago

I adopted a crazy boarder collie. I could hardly sleep the whole first month cause she would go nuts at night. Had to feed her by hand the first few weeks. She was a lot of work, but well worth it! One of the best fetch dogs I've ever seen :)

We had a rescue Rough Collie absolutely terrified of hoses and water because he was kept in someone’s back yard and supposedly the neighbors threw boiling water on him to stop him barking.

Best 10 years of my life owning that dog, Through moving houses 3 times he was like the one constant friend I had. Hit a sliotar, He’d pluck it out of the air and bring it back. Soccer he’d physically ball roll the football with his paws back to ya or use his head. As he got older he developed Arthritis and as I got older naturally spent less time together but I still remember coming in from nights at the pub and lying down on the hallway floor like some weirdo with the big fluff ball. 3 years and it still breaks my heart, We’ve his ashes in a fancy box and a painting in the living room of him and two new rescue dogs but they unfortunately will never replace the love I had for that dog.

8 points · 1 month ago

I'm sorry for your loss. You gave that dog the life he deserved! Sounds like he was a great friend!

Thank you, Honestly he was such a unique dog. I’ll never see anything like him again. If anyone ever gets the chance to own a Rough collie German Shepherd cross take it. Absolutely stunning looking dog.

Could you do us the honor of linking a picture of him? He sounds he was the goodest boy :)

AWWWW man he's gorgeous!!! I love him and you

1 more reply

I’m so glad you didn’t give up on her. Not everyone is committed as they think they are when adopting a rescue.

I just rescued a border collie 3 weeks ago. She follows me from room to room whenever I'm home. It truly feels like she understands that I saved her life. Her previous owners beat her and brought her to my Fiancée's work (vet clinic) with the intention of putting her down for being "a nightmare." She just needs to be ran daily so she has an outlet. Those people didn't deserve her.

3 more replies

Most of the misbehaving pups at my dog park are rescue dogs and I always try to encourage the owners to keep coming because positive socializing is exactly what a lot of the dogs need.

Good on you for understanding and acknowledging the struggle those dogs (and owners) are going through. Most people aren't so forgiving.

That said, please please do some research before adopting a rescue. Yes, you absolutely should rescue and adopt and never buy from Mills, but for rescues you need to have some patience and care early on, their needs are a bit different. There are people who take in rescues but aren't prepared and end up giving them back, which is really tough on the dogs. A little research and preparation beforehand goes a long way.

But once you do, they are SO worth it.

All true, but if you’re concerned about how much work a dog might be, you can also adopt from a rescue that fosters so you can explain what you’re looking for and can handle. Plenty of rescues have no issues and their foster can tell you that. They typically won’t lie because they want it to be a good match.

10 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

My chiweenie is definitely grateful. She didn't know how to play or even go for walks when we rescued her. Now you would never know she hasn't lived with us her whole life. Other than her intense fear of doors that she can't let go of.

If only people applied the same logic to the people they date I might have a chance. Hahaha... Ha...

It might help if you’d stop biting them and peeing on the floor. Just sayin’...

1 more reply

I have 2 pups, a bonded pair that my boyfriend and I rescued together. Originally from a native reserve in Alaska (we're in Ontario, near Toronto) they got driven down by their previous owners in tiny crates to the small city we live in. Then they were abandoned, and because of being on the reserve they learned super bad habits, and both showed signs of having been abused. The older one even had a wound on her arm that she constantly licks (its healed now, but she still likes the spot so no hair grows there, vet said it was okay, not infected, her way of biting her nails basically). When they're walked together, they're violent and overly protective of my boyfriend and I. When alone, they're scared of everything. Hell, the younger one gets overly protective of her food and treats, and her toys, even our socks that we take off at the end of the day, all because she doesn't understand we won't take it and never let her have it ever again.

They're better than when we first got them, the younger one still sometimes goes to the bathroom in the house, the older one sometimes still chases our cats and tries to bite them if we cuddle the cats (jealousy?). They both still hate our neighbors dog and will bark if they hear her outside. If they're together for too long they start fighting (younger one even had her leg ripped open, $750 vet bill for that). But they're better, and it took so much patience, love and care to get them there. Was it worth it? I'd say so, cause now we have 2 loyal dogs who we love.

*we adopted them mid March, so the progress made is really impressive to me as well

Rescue cats too. Also rescue them. They both need and will demand love, plus they purr.

My gf and I just picked up a rescue at a shelter today! Shes a bit shy, but so lovely.

I’ve got a rescue that is terrified of loud noises. Terrified. Whenever he hears something, a banging, a firework, cracking thunder, he immediately comes over to me, crawls into my lap/onto my chest, and just curls up while I hold him. I like to think he trusts me to protect him from the scary noises now that he’s in a loving home.

I just plain love my dog, I want to rescue them all. They are so much more than just animals.

Edit for punctuation.

Mine seems to just love everyone he meets so I am not sure if he feels this way.

1 more reply

After four years my rescue pit went from being a cowering shaking mess in the corner who was scared to eat food, to the absolute queen of the castle. This bitch is now spoiled rotten. Luv her tho

My parents rescued a korean mastiff mix from a doggie eating chop shop kinda thing. Poor guy couldn't even be around people for very long at the start it's been a year and the guy is the biggest cuddler I've ever seen he's a lapdog at this point. I wish people understood that they aren't broken they just need help

15 more replies

I don't have the time anymore (well some would feel I do but I would feel mean) but I did take in a rescue and get biggest thing was she was starved of attention.

She would beg so hard for attention that she got less.

I had to train her to know that daddy loves her and I always want to love her, so chill and she'll get lots of love.

She did and she did.

This same things applies with humans and it can be really tough in relationships sometimes. Begging for attention from someone often just drives them further away. Pays to remember that oftentimes, the best thing to say is nothing.

I would say all things in moderation.

16 points · 1 month ago

I’m actually going to get a dog this weekend from a shelter for this reason. I’ve been going through some stuff lately and what else could be better than a pup who has been through some stuff too so we can help each other out

39 points · 1 month ago

I don't think you should be giving dogs marijuana.

There are puppy CBD treats.

To be fair, CBD isn't mind altering and supposedly helps with anxiety (at least in humans).

Link/legal?

I don’t know how to make it fancy, like covering the long link with a word or two, but CBD is totally legal and here’s a link to a quick Amazon search!

Fyi, that's hemp oil! Very nutritious, but does not have the effects of CBD so probably won't affect anxiety or seizures :)

Comment deleted1 month ago

THC is not though

1 more reply

Yep. We sell it at the store I work at here in Texas. Works for my 10 lb fourteen year old chihuahua I inherited. She’s terrified of thunder.

Eh, we give cats cat nip which is basically just weed for cats.

Be the change you want to see in the world

I’ll be that guy. Rescuing a dog is an awesome thing. It takes a lot of resilience and hard work to rehab the dog, and in the end you end up with a best friend.

But I do wish some people with rescue dogs would be more aware of their rescue pups issues. Like, I know it’s not the dogs fault it’s the abusers fault but if you know that your rescue pup might get triggered and accidentally hurt another dog then you should have the awareness not to bring them to a public dog park.

Yo I have 2 rescues who are badass dogs. 2 Belgian malinois brothers from the same litter... Go get a rescue dog right the fuck now because they are good boys too

I already know, I want my next dog to be a rescue. now I gotta just convince my girl that the morkie isn't the cutest thing she's ever seen..

My rescue is a pittie who has been through some shit. People were very mean to her as a puppy and it takes a lot to get her to trust you and open up to you. But when she does, she is the sweetest, most cuddly and Goofy and loving dog you've ever met :) rescue dogs are the best!

My dog was a street dog before I adopted her (cute story to be honest but she is a much cuter dog) and when I adopted her it took her some time to stop being defensive and understand that my family loves her!

I probably have said this exact thing to my dog (he's a rescue)

Rescue dogs do need TLC but theyre still dogs and therefor still worth adopting.

5 points · 1 month ago

I honestly think a very motivated dog could do that just as well, and it would be one less job lost

I got lost somewhere in this thread. Who’s losing their job?

Huh, TIL. I should go adopt a rescue! I love TLC too! I wonder what their favorite shows are (please say 90-day fiance & Dr. Pimple Popper)!

No, they love classic 90s R&B group TLC. Their favorite single is “Creep.”

2 points · 1 month ago

Yeah I know someone who I could see saying this to her dog, though I've never heard it, her dog was abused and shit. She's getting a lot better tho (the dog)

Rescued my skiddish pup at 4 years old, he's 12 now and the best dog. 🐕

17 more replies

If they dont lick that one spot

Does this work on humans?

the ones that eat at mcdonalds

oof

5 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

My spot is the area between the top of my head and my toes.

Don't lick the bottom of my toes though, that tickles.

*ankles to the top of my head

Comment deleted1 month ago

Tickling is foreplay, but licking the bottom of my feet makes me question what else you might do with your tongue. Sucking on them however.. you know what just stay away from my feet.

11 points · 1 month ago

No the dog told the human

It’a projection.

1 more reply

Its easy in the same imaginary world that this tweet was created in

42 points · 1 month ago

Probably because bullshit story for karma

3 more replies

Thru projection

10 points · 1 month ago

astral projection

eating poo

15 more replies

1.1k points · 1 month ago

He was talking to himself

395 points · 1 month ago

That’s what I was thinking 😞

89 points · 1 month ago

This is what my roommate does it is fucking gutwrenching to watch every day. "you're so special kitty, you matter, you have purpose, you're loved"

115 points · 1 month ago

Bruh you should tell your roommate he matters

30 points · 1 month ago

You should tell your roommate that nothing matters and its the syndrome of life

21 points · 1 month ago

Checkmate I don’t have a roommate I’m all alone. cries

3 more replies

3 more replies

1 more reply

No one was petting the owner so there wasn’t any evidence anyone loved him

I wish someone would pet me. 😥

I’m petting you in my head right now don’t worry 💕💕

17 points · 1 month ago

I’m petting both of you now. You get all the pets from now on.

3 more replies

He was talking to OP.

That would be heavy.

6 points · 1 month ago

That's how I interpreted at first, and even when I realized it wasn't about op, I still fantasized it was

3 more replies

426 points · 1 month ago

TIL not to pet anyone or anything. Not sure I'm ready to make that kind of emotional commitment.

48 points · 1 month ago

I really don't think i'd be able to live with the responsibility that this dog granted upon me

He trusts me
Now I literally can't do anything else but make sure he still trusts me

I'd be 32 in my death bed asking god himself IF this dog still trusts me
And if he doesnt

Then i'll be ready to ride the highway to hell as I deserve to

I really should stop petting random animals

24 points · 1 month ago

Wtf are you doing in your death bed at 32? Lay off the drugs, moderate your alcohol intake, exercise, eat a balanced diet, smile and sleep. Then, unless fate is a bastard, you should certainly make it beyond 32...

Actually, even without doing these things you’ll make it to 32, but this will make you get there fit and well

17 points · 1 month ago

Oh that was just a joke
Im just a 17 year old with a dark sense of humor

Thanks for worrying though
I dont smoke, dont drink, dont do any kind of drugs and im not planning on doing any of those things anytime soon

I probably should've toned it down a bit in a sub dedicated to being motivated, sorry lol

When I was 15 I'd always say that I'd OD on cacao when I'm 30 because I just fucking love drinking it.

Still love it. Still alive.

2 more replies

I don’t follow this advice at all and even I made it to 33.

"Never pet an animal you don't know. Better yet, never pet anything"

But what about dogs at my gym? They’re just asking for pets between sets

The fuck gym are you going to, and do they accept birds?

2 more replies

They allow dogs at your gym?

3 more replies

Pet all the damn dogs. Pet them all. Just ask the owner if you can beforehand. 95% have no problem with it from my experience.

374 points · 1 month ago

How do you know if a dog doesn’t love itself? What?

382 points · 1 month ago

he's gaslighting the dog.

Emotional abuse of animals

(whispers)

You're a fucking dog

(dog whispers back)

And you're the one talking to a fucking dog, Steve.

1 more reply

Let's just go with the Alpo, I know it's not your first choice but remember...

I'm always really nice to dogs and really mean to cats but in the same tone of voice.

Cat won't be interested in anything you have to say, regardless of tone.

terribly cruel

The dog posted lyrics on his Facebook status

16 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

SOMEBODY ONCE TOLD ME

7 points · 1 month ago

the world is gonna roll me

5 points · 1 month ago

I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed

2 more replies

Could be a formerly abused and now submissive dog. The owner associating the fear of affection with not feeling worthy of affection?

12 points · 1 month ago

Munch-housing syndrome

OR, this was stolen from the post where the owner told the dog he drives away all of his friends by growling.

35 points · 1 month ago

This is exactly what I thought of. Worded poorly compared to the original post too.

17 points · 1 month ago

I remember that Post. It was ages ago. Wasn't it somewhat like: "Dog barks at another dog. See that's why you got no fcking friends"

It was more adorable than that.

I used to tell my dog not to talk to other dogs when they were barking.

1 more reply

This was probably right after the dog was eating shit.

46 points · 1 month ago

This post didn't make sense to me at all until I read your comment. You must be right.

That was my exact thought! I could see myself saying “for God’s sake, have some self-respect!” after catching my dog eating something disgusting.

Three cake days in one post! How wonderful!

7 points · 1 month ago

Happy cake day!

1 more reply

"This shit is delicious!"

4 more replies

30 points · 1 month ago

Wish my dog told me things like that - instead he just digs up cat shit and eats it.

149 points · 1 month ago

I don’t get it how is this supposed to be motivational 😂

I don't get it at all. Any of it

No one gets it.. But its provocative!

26 points · 1 month ago

It gets the people goin

Comment deleted1 month ago

17 points · 1 month ago

Even my dog is popular. And so can you!

1 more reply

It means people love you! Unless nobody pets you, then they probably don't love you

Well fuck.

2 more replies

40 points · 1 month ago

I still think about something I heard years ago:

A mother with her daughter (~7-8 years old) were arguing on the sidewalk. The mother tells the daughter in a "this ends now voice":

'Do you want to be happy or do you want to be sad?'

In that moment all I could think was:

Are we human?

Or are we dancer?

4 more replies

My dog loved himself all the time and made a loud slorping noise when doing it.

lmao this didn't happen

I like to give my dog a pep talk after someone tries to pet her, but it's more like, "everyone loves you so much. Why can't you be less of a bitch?"

She's cute but not super friendly to strangers.

5 more replies

10 more replies

11 points · 1 month ago

Dog: Woah, don't put your insecurities on me.

Apparently the things we say to animals are the things we wish people would say to us...

Since it makes thinking about this post 10x better for me: OP does not really define “him” and “her”... so, maybe the dog said to the owner, “You see, everybody loves you, and you don’t love yourself.”

Maybe it was the talking dog that will have OP thinking for five years?

edit: syntax

Antecedents are important, he said.

I’ll take “things that never happened” for 3 dog bones, Alex.

50 points · 1 month ago

This is stupid

26 points · 1 month ago

Yup. How would a dog owner know if their dog didn’t love themselves? You literally can’t tell.

This post reeks of being fake

Comment deleted1 month ago

They do bite themselves when they have fleas / biting flies. Not normally with such wide open mouths, but I've seen plenty of street dogs bite themselves kind of like that, until they've been properly de-flead.

Once the dog has been defleaded*

26 more replies

16 points · 1 month ago

I was in a store and a dog walked in and walked right up to me, so I petted him. The lady running the store saw and said "no pets sir! No pets!"

Me "oh, he's not mine" -continues petting-

Lady " no, sir. It's a no pet, sir"

Me "what?"

Lady " he has allergies so you can't pet him"

Why can't people talk normal? I don't know dog lingo.

THAT dog probably thought nobody loved him. They'd been prohibiting pets forever.. he probably thought something was wrong with and wasn't worthy of love and pets

3 more replies

But who was phone!

1 more reply

If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

I came here to comment this!!! Lol and blood starts shooting out of your ears!

Why 5 years?

I’m going to be thinking about this for at least 15 years

4 points · 1 month ago

Well, it’s been 5 years since the original was posted, now we will remember it for 5 more years

The owner was really talking to himself, projecting onto the dog

This happens to me all the time. I have an incredibly cute dog, I'm probably a solid 6ish. Whenever we go walking it seems like every other girl looks at my dog and squeals, or comments to their friends or themselves about how beautiful my dog is, and I'm like why won't any body do that for me.

Being single and having an adorable dog is really depressing sometimes.

Pics of dog?

Nah fuck that I want pics of the guy

Yada yada yada ... I met a talking dog

Damn.....a talking dog?!

3 points · 1 month ago

Hard to believe when I hate myself

1 more reply

He's wrong. The dog does love itself. He's projecting.

If only people stopped to pet me..

Then again, I'm not sure I'd be very comfortable with it.

How is this motivational?

3 points · 1 month ago

happy cake day!

That dog can talk!?

Man i feel the same way about my friends dog. She is such a love but for some reason she has really bad anxiety to the point where she licks herself till shes raw and bleeding from a random patch of skin. Her parents to her to the vet and they just told them to either medicate her or put a cone on her.

This was a couple of months ago they moved out of their old apt. and she has been doing so much better! I even had a good talk with her (the dog) to let her know how much it hurt me to watch her do that, its funny but I like to think that also worked since she hasn't harmed herself in a bit.

I'm the dog

Fancy that. A talking dog!!!

2 points · 1 month ago

“Loving oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance”

The importance of being Ernest.

A healthy sense of entitlement.

One of my biggest regrets is going to the shelter to get a dog, but leaving without him. He was a sad-looking dog, not cute at all, and it looked like he had a rough life. He sat on my lap, lifeless and defeated while I pet him. I went back a few days later to get him, telling myself that if I don’t get him, most likely no one will, and the workers told me he’d been adopted. I’d like to think so, but I have a nagging doubt in the back of my mind. Never again. If I see a dog I want, I’m signing paperwork that same day.

Nah no need to worry, no one loves me including myself.

That dog must have quite the infurriority complex.

And that’s dogs name? Dogbert Dogstein.

The owner was probably talking to himself

I love myself. Nobody loves me though.

Pretty sure you met IRL Wilfred.

2 points · 1 month ago

I don’t know why but this made me cry

148 more replies

Welcome to /r/GetMotivated! We’re glad you made it. This is the subreddit that will help you finally get up and do what you *know* you need to do. It’s the subreddit to give and receive motivation through pictures, videos, text, music, AMA’s, personal stories, and anything and everything that you find particularly motivating and/or inspiring. So browse around, ask questions, give advice, form/join a support group. But don’t spend too much time here; you’ve got *better* things to do.

r/GetMotivated Rules
All post must be tagged
Hate speech
Posting rights require minimum qualifications.
No advertising, fundraising, surveys or studies.
Comments must be on-topic
Posts must be motivational.