IamA 15 year old boy and owner of an bionic forearm worth 30.000€ AMA!

My short bio: I was born without my left forearm due to dysmelia. Place correct me if I spell something wrong I´m not an native englisch speaker.

Here is a picture of my bionic arm: https://i.imgur.com/IEjK33K.jpg

My Proof: https://i.imgur.com/Sbh6ZlO.jpg

Edit: I'm going to sleep now. I'll answer the rest tomorrow.

Have you ever thought about taking the casing off of the arm, putting in some robotic looking contact lenses, repeating some morbid phrase and scaring the shit out of people?

Original Poster25 points · 6 months ago

The casing is clued on so I can´t take it of :(

A little glue never really stopped anyone.

Original Poster36 points · 6 months ago

But 30000€

30k has stopped at least one person lol

Did you ask for this?

Original Poster18 points · 6 months ago

Yeah, I saw it in the internet and asked my prosthetist if I can try it out.

I love the innocence of this reply.

So you asked for this, you asked to be shown how human you were, and how much more you could become

how does it know how your brain wants it to move?

Original Poster23 points · 6 months ago

I have two muscles left that would tilt my hand forward and backward. In my prosthetic I have two metal plates that detect a tiny electrical potential, if I contract one or both of my muscles. One muscle opens the prosthetic hand the other closes it. If the hand is already open it switches between two grid patterns. Pressing the button on the back of the hand enables two more grip patterns to switch in between. Rotating the thumb enables 4 more grip patterns.

Thats super cool, something i have never had to consider. Thanks for the AMA, you're a good guy to do it and hopefully it helps your mentality and brings positivity.

Have you tried spanking the monkey with it? Dead serious question.

Original Poster17 points · 6 months ago

It has sharp edges that would really hurt and ENT in a bludy mess

Do people call you Big Boss?

Original Poster46 points · 6 months ago

no but they often call me cyborg.

I bet you're used to it already, but do u find it heavy? I mean, it bothers you? and how's the precision?? How do u feel about the future of this technologies? It's good enough already? or not even close??

Original Poster13 points · 6 months ago

Afte wearing it for a while the wight is not a problem. The hand is about 300g if you are interested. The precision is not really grat because I ahve no feelins in it and that mekes it not even close to a normal hand.

How do people react when they see your arm and how do you wish they would react?

Original Poster44 points · 6 months ago

People see it and of say something like wow this is a cool arm and ask me questions about it and thats what I want. Befor I had the bionic arm people would just awkwarly stare at me whit was really annoying.

How long did it take you to learn how to use your bionic arm? Can you use it just as well as your right hand?

Original Poster15 points · 6 months ago

I ahd a less funktional prostehtic befor that helped me a lot. Within a week I was able to use it fluent.

How up to date is it ? How do you see the future of this tech ?

Original Poster12 points · 6 months ago

It's one of the best things you can get. The future sure will be mind controlled.

I misread the title as "bionic firearm" at first. Since I'm here, what kind of crush pressure does the hand have? Can it be adjusted?

Original Poster31 points · 6 months ago

It's really weak but enough to lift a full bottle of water. I had a less functional hand before that could crush walnuts.

And here I am, using the world's supply of pulleys and levers just to break open a peanut.

Can you do anything cool or weird that others physically can't?

Original Poster13 points · 6 months ago

I still have my left elbow and I can bend it like 20° backwards.

Do you ever arm wrestle with it? And if so how does that go?

Original Poster7 points · 6 months ago

I'm not wrestling with it. It's way to dangerous.

Good point you don't wanna crush they're hands with your awesome robot arm.

As a 15 year old, what are your plans for college/future? Are you thinking about working on smart prosthetics too?

You would have the motivation to create something better considering you have a personal benefit.

Original Poster15 points · 6 months ago

Thought about going into the prosthetics industry but my dream job is aero and space engineering

Your dream job is aero and space engineering, do that!

👍👍

do you type with one hand or the bionic one as well?

Original Poster5 points · 6 months ago

I have learned to type with my elbow before I got the bionic arm.

How does elbow typing work??

Original Poster23 points · 6 months ago

With a lot of practice

Elbow grease

How did you afford it?

Original Poster32 points · 6 months ago

100% German health insurance

Mein gott. To this American that's more of a superpower than the bionic arm.

Follow up question: are you allowed to decorate/modify it? Maybe some kickass decals?

Original Poster4 points · 6 months ago

My prosthetist is open for design changes because he makes the arm and the hand gets clicked onto it.

Interesting but I meant you personally.

Like can you paint it?

Original Poster4 points · 6 months ago

I could but I don't want because I like the design as it is.

How do you clean the device?

Original Poster4 points · 6 months ago

I can wash the part that hold on my arm. The rest is not water tight.

Privat oder gesetzlich?

For the rest of the world: Germany's health care system is divided into a legal part and a private part. Everbody who earns up to a certain amount of money is in the legal system. Even unemployed people. If you earn more or if you are self employed or a state official, than you you can choose a private health insurance. Main difference: they pay more and you get a doctor's appointment much quicker.

Original Poster3 points · 6 months ago

Gesetzlich AOK Regelt.

Does it run on battery power or can it be charged? How long does the power last?

Original Poster3 points · 6 months ago

I have to change it every night

Have you jerked off with it?

Original Poster5 points · 6 months ago

It has sharp edges inside

is this a yes or a no? :)

Original Poster2 points · 5 months ago

No for I don't know what you are into.

He just wants to know if it’s worth the money to buy a bionic arm to jerk him off. Stop being weird dude.

Can you catch different objects? If so how big?

Original Poster4 points · 6 months ago

I can catch small objects but it's really hard

How hard is it to do smaller more precise tasks? Like can you play instruments or type with your arm?

Original Poster10 points · 6 months ago

No because I don't have feelings

Do you plan on fighting crime?

Original Poster6 points · 6 months ago

Like Deus ex style?

Definitely like Deus ex style

With your bionic arm, how many words can you type per minute, on average?

Original Poster3 points · 6 months ago

Haven't tested that

That thing looks badass by the way, like some Deus Ex level badass. How dexterous is it? Are you easily able to do things that require dexterity, for example tying a knot?

Original Poster2 points · 6 months ago

I don't have any feelings in it so making a knot is really hard.

How did you go about getting a bionic arm?

Do you like the nickname terminator?

When u write notes do you keep your left hand over the book/table?

Original Poster1 point · 6 months ago

Of course, it really helps there

From what company is it, type?

Original Poster1 point · 6 months ago

It's the bebionic v3 small

How much can you lift with that hand? Has it ever been defected?

Original Poster1 point · 6 months ago

It often has software problems/bugs. I could lift up to 40kg but I'm really weak on my left arm.

Ah, okay. Really interesting actually! Thanks!

Ever seen the cartoon called the bionic 6? It is cool

i bet u love mccree from overwatch, right?

As an engineer I want to know, is it awesome? I'm a bit jealous.

Are there any daily tasks that you find yourself struggling with? Suggestions for future design? Have you thought of upgrading to a swiss army arm like this one

Original Poster3 points · 6 months ago

Yeah it´s awsone but having no feelins is a huge bottleneck because I an´t do persice things.

Moderator of r/IAmA, speaking officially1 point · 6 months ago

Users, please be wary of proof. You are welcome to ask for more proof if you find it insufficient.

OP, if you need any help, please message the mods here.

Thank you!

Comment deleted6 months ago
Original Poster2 points · 6 months ago

It's to heavy and unpersice so it's not good for gaming. But I don't need it for that, I have learned to press the keys with my elbow and my laptop doesn't allow much gaming :(.

To the yanking: it has really sharp edges inside. It would hurt much.

I know this is a weird question but I was just wondering if you have ever masturbated with it? Can you even masturbate with it? Can you feel pleasure from it if you have?

Upcoming AMAs

Ellie Sherrard-Smith and Andrew Blagborough

July 19, 20188:00
Researchers: Malaria and infectious diseases
July 19, 20189:00
Associated Press Travel Editor
July 23, 201814:00
Scientist & expert on dog behavior
July 24, 201810:30
Astronomy writer, Science News
July 25, 201810:00
Data Scientists at IBM

HepNetTBay

July 27, 20188:00
Hepatitis C and Harm Reduction Experts
August 8, 20187:00
Highway Safety Investigator: NTSB
r/IAmA Rules
All posts must contain proof
Topics must follow IAmA guidelines
Requests must have five questions
Requests for celebrities need contact information
Top-level comments must ask a question
Do not ask for personal favors from an OP
Do not bypass rules by adding ? to a non-question
No abusive or harassing comments
Please See Our FAQ