I’m Tyson Leavitt, CEO of Charmed Playhouses. I build the world’s best children’s playhouses, have had my own TV show (Playhouse Masters), built a company in 3 years, and have built playhouses for/met many celebrities (Like Steph Curry, Jason Day, and more). Ask me anything!

Proof: https://imgur.com/a/K9SaUke

My Bio on TLC for our TV show, “Playhouse Masters”: https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/playhouse-masters/bios/tyson-leavitt

Hi Reddit,

I think the best way to introduce myself and my company is to show you one of our most recent projects… a magnificent castle with water cannons (you won’t be disappointed): https://imgur.com/gallery/hZ0t0TA

I was born and raised in Alberta, Canada and am proud to host my company in Southern Alberta. As the title suggests, we’ve been in operation for roughly 3 years.

Simply put, we build your imagination. In fact, our goal is not only to physically construct whatever is in your head, but to help children put down their tablets and tap into their innate, inner creativity. There are links at the bottom of this post where you can find ALL our work.

I owned a landscaping business for ~9 years when I decided to go out and build a playhouse for my kids. One of my clients saw it and decided that he needed one for his yard, which turned into another client’s yard, then another, and another. Eventually, I sold my landscaping business to pursue whimsical playhouse building full-time.

Then we exploded.

We had a TV show contract within a year and travelled all over North America installing playhouses for legends like Steph Curry (NBA MVP), personal mentors and heroes like my parents, and TV stars like Alana De La Garza (CSI/Law and Order).

We’ve had many bumps and bruises along the way, but our company has grown to about 10 full-time employees. As an entrepreneurial venture, we’ve seen every roadblock imaginable, including all the hassles of international business (we’ve even shipped structures to China!)

Myself and my speedy-typing assistant Brady (a business student/intern from the University of Lethbridge - Dhillon School of Business) are here to answer all your questions for at least the next 3 hours. Seriously, ask me anything!

Here is an imgur gallery of one of our more popular playhouses, the Rapunzel: https://imgur.com/gallery/bhTpL

Here are links to our social media accounts / web gallery with tons of pictures:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/charmedplayhouses/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/charmedplayhouses/?hl=en

Website Gallery: http://charmedplayhouses.ca/about-us/portfolio-gallery/

Imgur: https://imgur.com/user/Charmedplayhouses/submitted

3 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

What’s your opinion of younger audiences playing on iPads and other electronics rather than outside or otherwise?

Edit: sorry typo.

Original Poster4 points · 1 month ago

If you mean, "what is our opinion on electronics rather than going outside", it's this:

Kids spend way too much time on electronics and don't develop their imagination. We try to pull their imagination out of their minds and build it up.

In fact, we never put electronics in our playhouses. We do, however, put lights so they can play even when it gets dark!

2 points · 1 month ago

And how about TV production? I always wondered how much it actually hinders work and if it really becomes your focus rather than building the playhouses. (Or other examples like the pawn stores, fish tanks etc).

Original Poster3 points · 1 month ago

I really does slow down the work. We quite often had to stop work to re-create the event to allow another angle from the cameras. When it came to installs we would need to rig up the cranes and trucks before we offloaded the playhouses to make sure it was all captured. It was an amazing experience and the crew tried their best to not get in your way but if definitely slows us down a ton.

2 points · 1 month ago

Yeah I expected as much. Bet it’s fun at first and tires quickly lol.

Original Poster3 points · 1 month ago

You are ready to be done filming when you are in it, but then you miss the crew terribly after they leave because they become part of your family.

What was the most elaborate playhouse you ever built?

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

We just got finished a crazy castle that sits in the hills of Colorado!

Do you happen to have pictures of it?

Original Poster4 points · 1 month ago

Dude! That thing is insane!! Wish I had one growing up

I go to playgrounds everyday with my toddlers and live in Denver. Where is this playground?

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

It’s at a private residence west of Denver.

I got cousins who are trying to plan out some playhouses that are pirate themed, have anything that could help inspire?

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

Pirate ships are our specialty! There are two ways to build a pirate ship. One way is to build the bow by shaping the the rivers to your desired form then covering it in 1/4” wood strips. The other way to build it is by building a box and furring our the exterior walls by screwing on horizontal and vertical boards for the shape. Once those are on you can proceed with the 1/4” wood strips to pull it all together. Take a look at some of our time lapses that show exactly what I’m talking about.

What happened to Jeremy?

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

Jeremy is a free spirit so he decided to chase his dreams. He moved on shortly after we finished filming.

So, which project was your favorite so far?

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

Honestly, I love stuff about each project. Ryan & Heather Zimmerman’s is at the top of my list because I love whimsical houses and we really hit it off with them. They are a fantastic couple.

Your stuff looks awesome, have you thought of branching into the Tiny House market? They could use an influx of whimsy, and some of their space utilization techniques could be useful in the playhouse biz.

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

Not really. We realize that there are lots of crossovers but we plan to stay in our lane. We actually just had our local friends Teacup Tiny Homes move in next door to us which will allow us to bounce ideas off of each other.

Are you hiring? This sounds amazing.

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

We have a hard time saying no to talented people.

Who was your favorite celebrity to design for? Do you get overseas requests?

Original Poster0 points · 1 month ago

It’s a blast most of the times you get to work with celebrities, Steph and Ayesha Curry was incredibly memorable because they were our first celebrity clients, but we really feel fond of the Ryan & Heather Zimmerman who went way out of their way to give us a phenomenal MLB experience. We have recently started to work for Jason & Ellie Day and that has been a blast so far. We do get overseas requests, quite frequently actually. We hope to expand to better serve that demand in the future.

Moderator of r/IAmA, speaking officially1 point · 1 month ago

Users, please be wary of proof. You are welcome to ask for more proof if you find it insufficient.

OP, if you need any help, please message the mods here.

Thank you!

Photographer of My Named Truth
September 27, 20180:00
Hassan Al-Kontar: Living in Limbo in Kuala Lumpur Terminal 2
September 27, 20189:00
Congressional candidate for Florida's 23rd district
September 27, 201813:00
Candidate for Congress, CA-48 (Rohrabacher)

Ben Sullender

September 27, 201817:00
Spatial Ecologist at Audubon Alaska
September 28, 20189:00
Author: Rage Becomes Her: The Power of Women's Anger

Mastgrr and HatPerson

October 1, 201810:00
Creators of the Lazy Town/Lil Jon Mashup

Mike Gnade

October 2, 20187:00
Entrepreneur: Board Game Designer and Publisher

Michael Hebb

October 2, 201810:00
author of Let's Talk About Death (Over Dinner)

Our.News

October 2, 201811:00
Fighting Misinformation with the Newstrition label

Jen Briney

October 2, 201811:00
Host of the Congressional Dish podcast
r/IAmA Rules
All posts must contain proof
Topics must follow IAmA guidelines
Requests belong in /r/IAmARequests
Top-level comments must ask a question
Do not ask for personal favors from an OP
Do not bypass rules by adding ? to a non-question
No abusive or harassing comments
Please See Our FAQ