IAmA 101-year-old Frenchman. AMA!

I'm Jean. I'm 101 years old, still in good shape and here to answer any question you may have regarding this past century!

I was born in a brickyard on July 22, 1917, in a small town located 150 km in the south of Paris, son of a bricklayer and a maid.

My grandson is here with me, translating your questions and typing out my answers for me.

Also, here are the ID Proof and the Reddit sign with username verification and date!

EDIT: It's getting quite late here so we have to go but we will be back tomorrow to take care of all the questions left unanswered today. Thank you so much for your interest, this is so much fun!

EDIT - DAY 2: Thanks everyone for the overwhelming response! We never thought we would get that many questions and reactions. We'll try to get back tomorrow one last time to answer what's left. Good night everyone.

EDIT - DAY3: This was the last day, thank you everyone for asking all these relevant questions! Hope you enjoyed as well. Bye!

What were you doing in WWII?

Original Poster203 points · 1 month ago

I was in Classe 38, embarked on a battleship called Le Lorraine, in Brest.

And then I was mobilized in the Centre Militaire de la Marine Nationale, in Paris.

Legendary. How did WW1 affect your childhood?

Original Poster70 points · 1 month ago

No, I haven't known that war (fortunately), I was only 1 year old.

And at that time people wanted to forget about it.

The guy was a year old when it ended, probably not that much.

I get your point, the question shows apparent ignorance, but growing up in the years immediately following the War to End All Wars was bound to have an effect on a childhood.

Im interested in the answer.

Oh ok, fair point.

What's your favorite memory? The one that always makes you smile.

Original Poster307 points · 1 month ago

I'd say it was the time when we were living in Moulins in the 50s, a small town in the center of France.

We had lots of lovely friends there, we were often invited for dinner, the town was gorgeous, we've had our second child there, etc...

We owned a nice little hardware store there: house appliances on the right and hardware on the left!

It was probably the best period of time of our lives.

Perfect! I can picture it. Thank you.

That's beautiful

110 points · 1 month ago

If you had to choose one piece of advice to give us, what would it be?

Original Poster337 points · 1 month ago

Don't smoke.

And try to live a healthy life.

22 points · 1 month ago

Do you smoke?

Original Poster96 points · 1 month ago

Of course I don't!

He's 101 years old, most likely he doesn't.

Jeanne Calment did smoke.

He’s 101 years old, most likely he does or did

That’s doesn’t make sense lol

"he most likely does" doesn't make much sense but "He most likely did" does because it was very common back then.

4 more replies

1 more reply

105 points · 1 month ago

What is your opinion on modern technology and how fast it's progressing in such a short period of time?

Original Poster302 points · 1 month ago

I find modern technology is wonderful, just the fact to be able to do what we're doing right now is extraordinary to me. Thinking that all of this is only depending on electricity, a technology we started using in the 20/30's, is also incredible! I'm glad that Humanity is ambitious and still going forward.

oh, so true. this is it

Do you guys get anything special in France when you turn 100?

Original Poster257 points · 1 month ago

We get nothing in France.

We've organized a lovely lunch with the whole family in my garden though!

In 2008 my French grandmother got a cheque from the government for 500 euros! Does this not still happen?

Maybe this was more of a local initiative from the town?

When my wife's great grandfatherturned 100 we had cake. It was a good day.

18 points · 1 month ago

It is not that special to be over 100 in France, we have over 21 000 of them.

How do current times compare and contrast to the future you envisioned in your youth?

Original Poster159 points · 1 month ago

I wasn't thinking we were going to evolve that much!

I didn't believe we would get flying cars or teleportation or spaceships, and I also didn't believe we would get that far.

So it's a pleasing evolution, overall!

Thanks for your response! So cool to think about how you must’ve crossed paths with a lot of people born in the 1800s

1 more reply

What is your favorite food? What is the best dish your mom cooked?

Original Poster121 points · 1 month ago

I don't have any favourite meal to be honest, I just enjoy well cooked food.

One of my mom's best dishes was the Lapin Chasseur ! We would eat it very often on sundays, especially because we were raising them. I remember I was often sent to pick some grass to feed them.

Also, she cooked a fantastic Pot-au-Feu.

can you share any recipes

Original Poster50 points · 1 month ago

Here is a recipe for the Lapin Chasseur.

And here is one for the Pot-au-Feu, which is a classic recipe of french traditional gastronomy.

thanks so much!!

13 points · 1 month ago

I'm not papy OP but you can find, what seems to be, a good recipe here: https://www.meilleurduchef.com/fr/recette/lapin-chasseur.html

Feel free to use deepl.com to translate if you cannot read French ! Bon appétit :).

thanks!

51 points · 1 month ago

When you were a kid, looking into the future. What did you dream your life would be like?

Original Poster176 points · 1 month ago

I really can't think of anything to answer that, I've lived my life the way i dreamed it.

If I had to live it again, I'd exactly do the same!

That's how I want to feel when I reach old age. Congrats!

This made me sigh a sigh of peace :-)

That's beautiful.

Do you drink wine daily?

Original Poster212 points · 1 month ago

Yes! Very little but very often :)

124 points · 1 month ago

you mean like 1 sip every five minutes?

If that's what gets me to 100 I'll take it!

Username checks out

Aww you seem really sweet and nice :) What’s one thing you’re really glad you did in your life?

Original Poster70 points · 1 month ago

I've never really been into politics, but I liked Valéry Giscard d'Estaing.

"Faites le bon choix !" like he said.

French here. I will always remember his beautiful black Citroen DS!

What is your favorite memory of your parents?

Original Poster151 points · 1 month ago

One of my favourite memories from that period was during summers.

My mom forced me to work during summers because she didn't want me to waste my time playing/wandering in the streets, so I first was a cow shepherd for 1 or 2 years and then helped the pharmacist as a pharmacy technician.

I had to heat a huge copper cauldron with wood, and then pour big bags of 25kgs of sugar to prepare some simple syrup, which was at the time the basis of a lot of medicines.

When work was over, they used to give me some Cola with a bit of alcohol. I was 14 years old at that time so I was thrilled!

The pharmacist even asked me to stay, unfortunately the salary was too low so I went back to watching cows during summers.

Sounds like it was a lot of fun. Thank you for sharing!

Fellow pharmacist checking in :)

48 points · 1 month ago

What's the biggest difference between these times and when you were growing up?

Original Poster162 points · 1 month ago

All the technology and comfort. At the time we didn't have any heating systems, fridges, cars, tv, etc...

I remember seeing my first car when I was 12 years old, it was the town doctor's car!

Is there a technology we don't yet have, that younger you thought would exist by now?

Original Poster78 points · 1 month ago

As I said to another redditor, I didn't think we would reach that level of technology by 2018.

I guess I was just being realistic!

How did you meet your wife?

Original Poster172 points · 1 month ago

In the cradle!

Joke aside, my mother was a maid and she used to take care of her as a baby. So we basically met when I was 1 year old, and she was a few months old.

Growing up we lost sight of each other, but one day in the subway in Paris (at George V station), that one girl came to me and asked:

"Aren't you Jean?"

So we started dating, going to the swimming pool together, and a thing leading to another we got married a few years later.

This is wonderful!

10 points · 1 month ago

C'est trop génial !

35 points · 1 month ago

How did you take the dismantling of the French colonial empire at the time it was happening, and how do you look at it now, with the benefit of hindsight and time? Were you supportive of the efforts to keep Algeria and other key colonies or not? How, if at all, did your feelings about these events change now?

PS. It might help me understand how I'll be looking at the end of my native "empire" (USSR) when its death won't be as fresh in my mind as it is now.

Original Poster39 points · 1 month ago

I was too young to be really interested by these things at this time, but even if I think french influence might have been beneficial for some of these countries, I'm glad they ended gaining their independence.

23 points · 1 month ago

Algerian war ended when you were 45, I'd think that you would probably have some opinions about major French events at that age.

Nonetheless, thank you, I understand what you mean and agree wholeheartedly.

Algerian events (French officials never recognized the war as a war) are a very taboo subject for those who participated. Everything was made to bury this part of our history, and probably for a good, or at least a necessary reason.

2 points · 1 month ago

1 more reply

37 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Who's the oldest person that you recall meeting in your youth? Anyone born before 1830? Also, who's the most famous person you ever saw or met?

Original Poster76 points · 1 month ago

My grandfather Modeste was probably the oldest person i can remember meeting in my youth.

He was born in 1846 and died in 1932. He was a wheelwright and manufactured wheels for horsecars.

He was also a gravedigger. His wife used to help him at that time, but she got stung with a bone and died of tetanus.

This is quite mind blowing, that death can happen on such a trivial accident, now we are all vaccinated against that.

Je vous remercie pour vos réponses, c’est super intéressant de voir à quoi ressembler notre pays à l’époque !

Original Poster54 points · 1 month ago

Yes, I caught an infection in 1941 and I can remember the doctor telling me "I wish we had some of that new penicillin treatment for you but unfortunately we don't have it yet in France.".

Luckily, I made it out of it without needing that medicine!

Glad to hear that ! My grandma had a stomach disease in 1945 and was one of the first to get treated with penicillin in France. At first doctors were reluctant giving her that « new American treatment » but she finally got it. Was still a hard memory for her because she lost her hair with the disease, and in summer 1945, being a bald woman in Paris was quite a hard time.

I wish all of you a nice weekend, thank you for that AMA :)

12 points · 1 month ago

Thanks. He experienced the Franco-Prussian war among other things. His lifetime roughly coincided with that of Thomas Edison.

Original Poster23 points · 1 month ago

Exactly. He was actually mobilized for that war.

22 points · 1 month ago

Not many living people knew someone who fought in the Franco-Prussian war. Thanks again.

What was the occupation like? Were you ever under German control? Did the war create any animosity towards Germans/Italians in general?

Original Poster171 points · 1 month ago

Life was really tough under German occupation, especially food-wise. Everything was rationed with tickets, and if you happened to run out of tickets you couldn't get any more and your only option was to turn to the black market where everything was 3 times the price. But you could buy anything! I had the chance to have a hardware store, so I never ran out of oil or alcohol to burn.

And yes, right after the war, we were really disappointed by the germans, but I think and feel that it's over now and I'm glad our 2 countries can get along together.

62 points · 1 month ago

Comment allez-vous?

Original Poster85 points · 1 month ago

Très bien merci, et vous ?

38 points · 1 month ago

Ca va bien

1 more reply

How has your diet changed from age 11 to age 101?

Original Poster86 points · 1 month ago

When I was young, we only ate what we were cultivating and growing: vegetables from the garden, chickens, rabbits, pigeons... The choice was pretty narrow.

Nowadays, you have plenty of choice, if not too many. It's more varied but less healthy, and I think you can easily make bad choices.

At what age would you say you stopped ageing mentally? Essentially, what age do you feel in your mind?

Original Poster67 points · 1 month ago

I would say around 20 years old.

Back in the days, people started working at a very young age, got married at a young age too. And war was another factor too.

Thanks for the reply :) that's really interesting, I'm 29 and 20 would have been my answer, too. I don't feel like I really aged mentally in the last ten years.

Has outliving friends and family changed how you view death?

Original Poster38 points · 1 month ago

Sorry for the delay, there was more questions than expected!

No, outliving friends and family hasn't changed my perception of death very much.

This. I was looking for someone to ask this. But he didn't respond :(

He responded

Thanks, cap

perhaps it better this way. old wounds still fresh and all that.

I've just finished reading Herman Wouk's history/novels of WW2 and it's still haunting me... do you feel the world has forgotten the lessons it should have learnt after that war?

Original Poster126 points · 1 month ago

No, I think we haven't learned much from that, or that we forget quite easily.

Just looking around right now makes me feel bad for the future generations, with the situation in the Middle-East, the attacks in the US in 2001, in France in 2015, etc...

So yes, I hope people would remember a bit better how it was in 39-45.

Bonjour Jean! (écrit du Texas) Je m'appelle Katherine. Merci d'avoir fait ça. J'apprécie beaucoup vos expériences. Ma question concerne l'occupation de la France pendant la seconde guerre mondiale. Nul doute que cela a dû être une période incroyablement effrayante et stressante. Comment vous en êtes vous pris? Que feriez-vous ou votre famille pour ne pas attirer l'attention des Allemands? Je pense également que les gens devaient faire très attention à leurs voisins par crainte de les transformer en police locale. Merci beaucoup. Mon grand-père était l'un des nombreux Américains à débarquer en Normandie. La guerre était très difficile à parler. Si ma question est trop douloureuse pour répondre, je respecte cela. Merci Monsieur.

Original Poster52 points · 1 month ago

Hello Katherine,

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying this AMA!

Yes, you had to be quite careful as many people were informing the germans believing it would give them protection.

I actually got denounced by an anonymous neighbour because I used to listen to the english radio, and someone thought I was part of the FFI.

I've been jailed 1 month at the Cherche-Midi prison along with 3 other men, in a room on the 1st floor.

Conditions weren't awful but the main risk was to be randomly chosen by the germans to be shot. We could hear other prisoners being taken and being hit with nightsticks.

At that time, FFI members would regularly shoot german officers on the streets or in the subway, and the germans would answer by killing the people they were detaining.

They should have sabotaged railways lines instead, this would have been way more useful!

So yes, we had to remain quite discreet if we wanted to enjoy the things that were forbidden under german occupation.

My regards to your grandfather if he is still among us today.

Bonjour Katherine,

Oui, il fallait être assez prudent car beaucoup de gens s'improvisaient délateurs en pensant que cela les protègerait des allemands.

J'avais été dénoncé par un voisin car j'écoutais la radio anglaise et on m'avait pris pour la FFI. J'avais fait 1 mois dans la prison du Cherche-Midi avec 3 autres personnes, dans une chambre au 1er étage.

Ce n'était pas si terrible concernant les conditions, mais nous étions à la merci d'une fusillade en cas de punition lorsqu'un membre de la FFI tuait un officier allemand dans la rue. Ils auriaient mieux fait de saboter des lignes de chemin de fer, c'était beaucoup plus utile !

Donc oui, nous devions rester discret s'il nous voulions profiter de choses interdites sous l'occupation.

Mes salutations à votre grand-père s'il est toujours parmi nous aujourd'hui.

Merci Beaucoup Monsieur Jean!

1 more reply

Hi, I am French. I want to thank your great father for what he did.

3 more replies

I don't know if you will read this; But did you got the possibility of owning a car or a bike? How were they? Sorry for my poor english and greetings from south america

Original Poster40 points · 1 month ago

I got my first bike when I obtained my Certificat d'Étude (Study Certificate) at 14 years old.

And then I got my first car in 1946, at the same time I got my driving license! It was a B14G.

That's a classy ride sir. Congrats.

Hey! Your English is great. In case you’d want to know, you said your sentences correctly except one word! It’s, “But did you have the possibility of owning a car or a bike?”

Ok byeeeee. Have a good day :-)

1 more reply

Do you have a secret to your long life? Thank you! -Deni

Original Poster114 points · 1 month ago

No abuse, in anything!

And don't smoke obviously.

Thanks for answering!

Two questions:

When you were a child, what games did you play, and which was your favorite?

When did you first begin to work, and what did you do?

Original Poster24 points · 1 month ago

I didn't play much, I prefered to repair stuff like radios, irons and things like that.

I started working during summers when I was 12 to 14 years old. I've been a cow shepherd and a pharmacy technician. Then, once I got my study certificate at 14 years old I started working as an apprentice electrician.

How long did you do electrical work?

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

Well, I worked as an electrician only 4 years, after that I've been owning shops and cinemas.

But I've been doing electrical work for myself and family my whole life then, I've always been interested by this technology, from its creation until now!

You seem like a kind old soul. One question, do you think this current generation’s children are spoiled by technology?

Original Poster49 points · 1 month ago

No, not at all. You just have to not abuse it and stay reasonable.

26 points · 1 month ago

Who are your favorite movie actor and actress?

Original Poster59 points · 1 month ago

Danielle Darrieux & Jean Gabin!

Danielle was my age.

42 points · 1 month ago

:) links for the lazy...

Danielle Darrieux & Jean Gabin!

Comment deleted1 month ago

Yep. People should really check out The Grand illusion, Pépé le Moko and Daybreak. He was a much more natural actor than a lot of his Hollywood contemporaries at the time so he's easier for modern audiences to watch. And those films, by themselves, are just freaking fantastic, especially The Grand Illusion.

especially The Grand Illusion.

One of the greatest movies ever made for sure.

Comment deleted1 month ago

lol, that's wild. Well guess it shows his influence.

What is your favorite memory from your childhood?

What do you wish your descendants remember most about you?

Original Poster48 points · 1 month ago

I like that memory from when I was watching cows when I was 12 years old:

We were several boys watching cows with the help of dogs. Once, a squabble started in the kitchen and the other boys were throwing their shoes at each other. Shoes that were obviously covered in cow dung.

That evening, the woman/landlady who was hosting us the whole summer was serving the soup.

While filling the second or third bowl, she got one of their dirty shoes out of the cooking pot with her ladle!

We had a good laugh, but the boys still had to eat their soup.

What do you miss from the past that we seem to have forgotten?

Original Poster12 points · 1 month ago

People seem to have forgotten about civism (civisme in french) and courtesy nowadays.

Not completely, but people were kinder back in the days.

1 more reply

Over a century, you have most likely had your fair share of novels and books to read. What is your favorite piece of literature?

Original Poster17 points · 1 month ago

I love all the books covering countryside life and history.

Christian Signol is my favorite writer in this genre.

What have been your personal interests and passions in life?

Original Poster22 points · 1 month ago

I loved DIY and modelism. I've always been very manual.

I still have one boat model to finish on my desk!

8 points · 1 month ago

What do you think about climate change?

Original Poster17 points · 1 month ago

I think we should stop using - or at least limit the use of - toxic fossil fuels to develop and focus more on renewable energies such as wind turbines, solar panels, etc...

1 more reply

Who was the most successful French Prime Minister, in your opinion?

Original Poster36 points · 1 month ago

As I just answered, I wasn't that much into politics but Giscard d'Estaing's government was pretty nice.

How's your day?

Original Poster12 points · 1 month ago

Fine and you?

Fine also

If you could go back in time and coup de poing dans le nez who would it be?

Original Poster31 points · 1 month ago

Nobody. I've never been vindictive and I hate violence.

what's your favorite fromage?

Original Poster20 points · 1 month ago

I really enjoy the Tommes de Savoie.

Oh I've been lucky enough to try one of those and loved it too! One of my previous bosses was French, and I asked him what he missed most while living in the US. He told me Reblochon (since you can't import it here). He ended up dying tragically, unfortunately. But years later, I was staying near France and remembered what he said, so I looked up where they made it. I happened to be driving distance from Annecy so of course I had to go try it. I liked it but ended up preferring some of the other cheeses there much more. Though tartiflette is delicious. Thanks for replying :) Bonsoir!

What did you do for fun or to keep you entertained growing up?

Original Poster18 points · 1 month ago

I repaired various objects for fun: radios, clocks, irons, etc...

Comment deleted1 month ago
Original Poster22 points · 1 month ago

My grandfather was a wheelswright and a gravedigger on the sundays and my grandmother was a linen seller.

She actually died helping my grandfather while sorting bones: she got stung with one and died of tetanus.

Bonjour monsieur ! J'espère qu'il n'est pas trop tard.

M'a question est: Comment étaient les vieux quand vous étiez jeune ? Qu'est qu'ils donnaient comme conseils, etc ?

Original Poster5 points · 1 month ago

It varied from an old person to another. Some weren't really talkative, some others were always talking, giving tips and telling tales from the past.

For example, my grandfather Modeste was always talking about his wheelswright job: how he used to make wheels, the detailed process, the relationship with customers, etc...

I still have a picture of him working, I'll try to post it here.

FRENCH: Ça dépendait des vieux. Certains ne causaient pas trop, et d'autres parlaient tout le temps, donnaient des conseils et racontait des histoires du passé.

Mon grand-père Modeste, par exemple, qui était charron, aimait beaucoup parler de son métier : comment il réalisait les roues, la description détaillées du processus de fabrication, ses relations avec ses clients, etc...

J'ai d'ailleurs encore une photo de lui au travail, j'essaierai de la poster ici.

2 more replies

What is your favorite word to say because you like the way it sounds?

Original Poster21 points · 1 month ago

I really don't know, I've never thought about that!

I'd say French language in his whole.

Is the food much better now than before? Any dishes that have disappeared from restaurants that you like?

This may be a bit much, I'm truly sorry if it is, but if you could live 100 more years in reasonably good health, would you? If you could pick how much longer you wanted to live right now, how long do you think that would be?

Also, is there anything that you wish you would have done or still wish to do?

What is the thing you most regret in life ?

How do you view death, are you afraid?

How did you learn English? What's your favorite movie?

How does it feel to live this long? Are you proud or bored?

2 points · 1 month ago

What's your favorite city in France to visit?

Original Poster15 points · 1 month ago

Moulins!

It's a gorgeous town not far from Paris.

2 points · 1 month ago

Wow that architecture is incredible.

Have you been in Paris recently? If so, what do you think about the city?

What do you think was the most innovative thing to come out of the past century?

-There is rising unemployment and rising inequalities. Life seems to be tougher and tougher for people. Would you say it's true ? My grand-parents (French like you) often say they pity the young today, because back in their days, there was no unemployment. Back then people didn't need a Master's degree + 5 years experience to be a waiter at the local cafe.

-What are the things that matter most in life, based on your experience ?

-What are your secrets (other than not smoking) for living that long ? By the way, you do look younger than 101yo on your IC.

If you could choose a topic to study now, what would it be? What is/was your favourite hobby?

What's your favourite music genre and what do you think of modern pop?

2 points · 1 month ago

(Disclaimer : I'm french and will post in English then in French, thanks for the AMA :) )

Hello, I'm a 20 years old guy who just spent a few days in the hospital and my "roommate" was an 89 y.o. polish immigrant who worked in the mines in the north of France (Pas-de-Calais). We had the time to share our stories, and as you might expect, it was a very good exchange.

My question is : you've seen so much change in our society in more than 100 years, what is the most significant change you've seen and are you happy with how everything evolved?

Bonsoir, je suis un jeune français de 20 ans qui vient de faire un séjour à l'hôpital et mon voisin de lit était un immigré polonais de 89 ans qui a travaillé dans les mines du Nord.

Vous qui avez vu évoluer la société française depuis plus de 100 ans maintenant, quel est le changement qui vous a le plus marqué, et êtes-vous content de voir comment elle a évolué ?

Merci infiniment de prendre le temps de répondre à nos questions :)

I comprehend that you have not been involved in politics but what do you think of the European Union as a goal for humanity? Can all the different cultures in the EU work together in harmony or is there too much historical animosity to overcome? What does you own personal history say to this?

Do you think international politics has changed a whole lot in the past 50 years? I understand you won’t see this for a good few hours, looking forward to your response! Merci beaucou, monsieur!

Are you posting on Reddit yourself? (Sorry I have grandparents who don't know how to send a text)

Read the details, his grandson is translating and writing the answers down

2 points · 1 month ago

What do you think of President Trump?

What keeps you going , since I assume you spent your life in Europe. Surely you saw some haunting thing in wartime , if so , how do you keep going?

what are some of your personal favorite aspects of the world today compared to the past?

1 point · 1 month ago

What is your fondest memory of a dish or food that you've have in your life. Whether it's not as good as you remember when you try again, what struck you as your favorite dish in your lifetime?

What are some common facts written in history books that you know to be false having lived through the time?

Is there anything in particular that you have carried with you from the Second World War? (Advice, life lessons, memories...)

Thank you greatly in advance!

How did you live for so long? Also what surprised you the most from as society progressed from when you were young to now? What do you think is society's biggest accomplishment during that time?

Thank you for thanking spending time answering these questions. Where is your favorite place in the world?

Personally, what do you think is something everyone should experience in their lifetime?

This might be a bit grim but have you come to terms with death? If I was 101 I’d be happy just getting out of bed.

Have you had any near Death experiences?

What prompted you to do this?

Have you enjoyed your life so far? How are you, as a human?

Biggest regret?

At what age did you realize you had a good shot at living past 100?

Salut Jean. Tu as été prisonnier de Guerre en 1940? As-tu fais les camps de travail en Allemagne?

What's your home region in France ?

1 point · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

edit :

Etant donné que vous vécu a travers des periodes de l'histoire radicalement differentes : par exemple, avec les deux guerres mondiales, vous avez connu les allemands en tant qu'ennemis et aujourd'hui en tant que pays amical.

En vous adressant à une jeune personne europeenne aujourd'hui qui vivrait aussi longtemps que vous, pensez vous qu'elle "risque" aussi de vivre des periodes historiques aussi differentes et extremes ? (Retomber dans une guerre, ou bien vivre comme aujourd'hui)

try to translate my question in english for others :

Given that you lived thorough several historical period completely different : for instance, you went through 2 world wars, and knew the german as ennemies, and today as allies.

If you have to think about a young european person today, do you think that person will also lived through such different historical periods ? (have war again, or continue like it is right now)

If people had to remember one thing from your life experience, what it would be?

What do you do to pass time? Any hobbies?

What is something you've done or created that you are most proud of?

Est-ce vous allez aussi faire une AMA sur r/France ?

23 more replies

Upcoming AMAs
September 20, 20189:30
Actress

Ken Kocienda

September 20, 201810:00
Inventor of autocorrect
September 20, 201811:00
Reporters for Dallas Morning News
September 20, 201812:00
linical professor of psychiatry at UCLA
September 21, 20188:00

Dr. Andy Yen

September 26, 20188:00
Founder and CEO: ProtonMail
September 27, 20180:00
Hassan Al-Kontar: Living in Limbo in Kuala Lumpur Terminal 2
r/IAmA Rules
All posts must contain proof
Topics must follow IAmA guidelines
Requests belong in /r/IAmARequests
Top-level comments must ask a question
Do not ask for personal favors from an OP
Do not bypass rules by adding ? to a non-question
No abusive or harassing comments
Please See Our FAQ