I am Ken Fuchs, director of Shark Tank, The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, Family Feud, Celebrity Family Feud, Love Connection, Deal or No Deal, & more. AMAA!

What's up Reddit!

My name is Ken Fuchs. I am fortunate to be the director of shows like Shark Tank, The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, Family Feud, Celebrity Family Feud, Love Connection, and Deal or No Deal.

I’ve worked my entire career in unscripted and variety television. My favorite thing to do is direct live television specials, overseeing an expansive camera crew and amplified production atmosphere. I direct the Bachelor specials, including all of the weddings, “The Bachelor: After The Final Rose,” and “The Bachelor: Women Tell All."

I was also fortunate to receive a 2018 Emmy Nomination for my directing in Shark Tank. I am blessed to work with so many great teams across all of my projects.

Proof: On my twitter here!

I’ll do my best to answer as many questions as I can! Ask Me (Almost) Anything! AMAA!

EDIT: Thanks so much for joining. I have to head out for now, but I will check back later on the thread to answer some more questions!

320 points · 1 month ago

Do you and your team ever discuss r/thebachelor?

ASKING THE REAL QUESTIONS

108 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Lmao. We are in full force representing the sub right now!

edit: Why do the contestants get in trouble for doing AMAs on /r/thebachelor?

Hollaaaa

I was thinking the same thing haha

Which Bachelor/Bachelorette contestants were kindest behind the scenes? Who was a pain to work with?

Can you please explain this photo? https://imgur.com/a/MS2z7Kq

Witchcraft. Next question.

Took me a long time to figure out what was wrong, but then boom? What is really going on there?

4 more replies

1 more reply

Comment deleted1 month ago

HELL YASSSSSSSSSSSSSS this is brill

16 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Heck yeah! (as Venmo John would say)

278 points · 1 month ago

Do you think all the bachelor women on nicks season found him ugly? Didn’t want to date or be engaged to him?

Do you think all the the women apart of the bachelor franchise find nick ugly undateable?

If the answer is no to both than who in the franchise finds nick attractive and would want to date him?

Do you think Vanessa ever loved nick or was she just there for fame?

Do you think chris Harrison will ever be the bachelor?

Glad you made it Scout!

I don’t know why this made me laugh so much. I don’t laugh when I read it every day on the sub but this killed me seeing it here

Hey Nick what's up?

I'm here for this. #answersforsscout

Welcome to the party Sscoutt

Jesus u/Sscoutt this is why we can’t have nice things

69 points · 1 month ago

I know I messed up totally should have said please and thank you for your time, I was too eager and forgot my manners, I’ll do better next time

Ever watched an episode of UnReal? 😊

Savage

48 points · 1 month ago

Can you give us the real scoop on what people at ABC and production think about Reality Steve? Hate him, or appreciate that he helps to stir up interest and engagement in the Bachelor franchise? (And what is your personal opinion?)

83 points · 1 month ago

In what ways does directing The Bachelor differ from directing The Bachelorette? Do you prefer one over the other (and why)?

Can you ask Chris Harrison to be my daddy?

Representing r/thebachelor in all the right ways.

MOST OF THE COMMENTERS HERE I RECOGNIZE FROM r/thebachelor!

Hey Ken if you read this, think about doing one on our sub! :)

POPPY LMFAO

you never disappoint :D

Poppy 💀

Lmao I love you

He isn't already????

8 points · 1 month ago

Goddammit Poppy!

POPPY I LOVE YOU

ILY Poppy

2 more replies

How surprised were you by the popularity of Joecery?

Ken, love your work as it relates to The Bachelor and The Bachelorette. Do you have any concerns over contestants going on the show just to attract an Instagram following?

Who was your favorite bachelor and bachelorette?

Original Poster150 points · 1 month ago

Some of favorites include Ben Higgins & Jason Mesnick. Also, going way back to the first season of Bachelorette, Trista! And more recently, Rachel.

And more recently, Rachel.

Favorite enough to give her and Bryan a televised wedding special? It’s been so long since we’ve gotten a super grand one and so many people are looking forward to it 🙏🏻

4 more replies

Rachel was so refreshingly fun to watch!

Nick for Bachelor? 5th times a charm?

Scout would be so proud of this comment

Is there any aspect to The Bachelor franchise that even a big fans don't know about, that you think makes it special and or interesting?

Original Poster46 points · 1 month ago

Over the course of 17 years, it is amazing what a tight knit family the crew has become. It helps us make great television.

Hi! Regarding The Bachelor: Is someone physically manning the cameras during intimate date settings or do the couples get to be “alone” with y’all watching from another area?

Do you have any behind the scenes stories from the Bachelor and Bachelorette to share with us??

Original Poster170 points · 1 month ago

In Ben Flajnik's finale in Switzerland there was a funny situation. We set everything up and we were all ready to go for the big proposal for the next day....we showed up on set and the mountain goats had eaten through all our cable!

My amazing team had to pull it together and make everything work within just a few hours.

This might be my new favorite Bachelor story.

Do you get to eat the untouched perfect looking food on 1 on 1 dates?

Original Poster52 points · 1 month ago

No. I wish :)

How do you decide what the storylines are going to be on shows where you have so much footage?

Original Poster47 points · 1 month ago

I don't decide that, the producers do. That's not part of my job.

Maybe you could tell us what you have observed from them then or what your perspective is. You must know something, having worked so closely with them for so long.

How does one direct unscripted TV? Finding lighting, placement, organizing B-roll, etc.?

It is very clear the impact that social media has on shows like The Bachelor(ette), do you notice any impacts with the other shows you are involved with?

Original Poster32 points · 1 month ago

Family Feud & Celebrity Feud have a huge social media presence! It's cool to see.

I can't believe Family Feud is still on the air. I watched that on my Mamas knee in the eighties.

It’s much more inappropriate nowadays. Like, cringey stuff. Still a good gameshow, but god the way they word some of the answers on the big board.. it’s not even funny it’s just stupid.

The other day it was “what’s something big a woman has that gives her control in a relationship”

Some guy said “her butt”, and everyone laughed, then on the board it flipped the answer and it was “BADONKADONK”

Like, is that necessary? They didn’t laugh as much either.

I think the writers just have their browsers open to urban dictionary and put whatever stupid shit they find up there and slap each other on the back.

1 more reply

How much do ABC/producers listen to fan opinions about choosing the next bachelor(ette)?

Original Poster84 points · 1 month ago

I'm not sure because I am not involved in the casting. But, the producing team is definitely aware of social media and fan discussion.

Well just for kicks NO COLTON!! Lets see a WIlls, Christon, happening up in there next time~!

Username checks out :)

PLEASE don't give us Ben Higgins 2.0

I'd much rather a Ben 2.0 than a Colton season if it ever comes down to the two of them though!

1 more reply

42 points · 1 month ago

What's up with Kanye's permanent smile on episode 1 of Celebrity Family Feud? He seems like a nice guy.

Original Poster93 points · 1 month ago

He was so nice and so excited and happy to be on Feud. It was one of my favorite episodes to direct.

1 more reply

19 points · 1 month ago

Funniest or your personal favorite moment from Becca's season of The Bachelorette?

Original Poster67 points · 1 month ago

The llamas! I was attached by a llama at the proposal. I can maybe post a video later...haha

I have to see this

Original Poster43 points · 1 month ago
Original Poster58 points · 1 month ago

Oh wait this is Arie's season where Becca won....let me keep thinking.

hahahahahah Its easy to confuse the two~

Pure amazingness

2 more replies

Out of the current couples, whose wedding would be your favorite to direct?

Original Poster24 points · 1 month ago

I would do any/all of them!

Noo don't cop out. Tell your internet friends. :)

3 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Well he did say Rachel was his favorite so I'm guessing she's probably up there ;)

Do people mispronounce your surname?

Original Poster176 points · 1 month ago

What the Fuchs do you mean? :)

I like you

15 points · 1 month ago

This guy Fuchs

you are my people

Why do you guys think we care about Tia and Colton?

Congratulations on your Emmy nomination!! Has there been a Shark Tank product you were surprised the investors passed on?

Ring, probably. They passed on it and Amazon bought it recently.

2 more replies

14 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

How late has the longest first rose ceremony been?

Do you have a favourite of all the shows you direct?

Original Poster66 points · 1 month ago

I love all my children equally :). They are very different and I like the variety.

I like Ike the most, but I just went to high school with him.

2 more replies

Who are more difficult to work with, hosts or contestants?

Original Poster24 points · 1 month ago

I work with everyone differently. All of my hosts are incredible and easy to work with!

1 more reply

Can we get a little more diversity up in the franchise? I loved Winter Games - it was super interesting watching people from different countries interact and form relationships. Bachelor/Bachelorette is becoming a bit repetitive.

How are the locations determined for each Bachelor/ette season? Does the team literally google “most romantic places” and ensure no same place is repeated?

Original Poster33 points · 1 month ago

I'm not particularly a part of the location decisions. Our producing team does a great job of establishing relationships with various countries and cities. And of course we look for the most romantic and exotic locales.

We actually have repeated some countries, like Thailand, Spain, Thailand again...

One of my favorites is Cape Town, South Africa! We were there for Emily's proposal. Also, for Sean Low's finale at the elephant resort in Thailand.

7 points · 1 month ago

Is there one location in particular you'd like to go to that the show hasn't done yet?

How long have you been the Director of these shows? How did your life take you there?

Original Poster26 points · 1 month ago

I've been director for 17 years on Bachelor and Family Feud, and 10 years on Shark Tank. I worked my way up the ranks through various shows, before eventually becoming an AD (Assistant Director). Then, I was finally given the chance to direct.

One of my fave scenarios on Shark Tank is when all sharks are interested in a pitch and there a shark fight each one going for blood as they try to outbid each other. Is that a director's dream as well?!

Original Poster18 points · 1 month ago

Yes! Your dreams scenarios are my dream to direct. We all want the same thing.

Yassss! <high five> Its rare but so exciting when it happens! Thanks for your response.

Any fun stories from all those freebie weddings done on Bachelor/rette?

It must just so much harder dealing with crowds of family, drunk relatives, grannies/grandpas flirting with production, bach nation guests, bride and groom tantrums!

Original Poster26 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

One story from a wedding...during Molly + Jason's there was a torrential downpour. But yet, her makeup held up beautifully. His hair, not so much. They totally embraced it. This was another example of going with the flow, which makes working on these kinds of projects so fun. And the unpredictability is so fun for the viewers. It's as unscripted as it gets. I like to think of them as happy accidents :)

Yes I remember that! Great of them to embrace it. I bet the crew were scrambling around to protect their equipment and props though?!

Do you also direct Bachelor in Paradise? If so, how does that differ from direct The Bachelor and The Bachelorette?

Is Elan as slimy as he seems on social media?

What a disappointing AMA, he ignored all the interesting questions. Not surprising though. But would’ve been nice if not all the answers were just fluff pr

3 more replies

Who was the weirdest Bachelor / Bachelorette you dealt with and why?

24 points · 1 month ago

I'm quite sure you won't answer this but--as a director and given your visibility within the Bachelor(ette), how does it feel to have scandal after scandal come out about suitors? Especially given that these scandals are discovered by average fans on social media rather than your third-party agency?

Do you feel the show plays in to and/or gives a platform to toxic masculinity?

What's your favorite couple that's come out of the Bachelor franchise?

Original Poster72 points · 1 month ago

Definitely Trista + Ryan are the most memorable! They set the gold standard. Once they got married, nobody could say "that show will never work" anymore. And it was a career highlight to direct their wedding special.

And what a gorgeous wedding it was! You did a bang up job with the directing. I love to rewatch her wedding almost as much as my own. :)

31 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Bachelor/Bachelorette/Shark Tank Questions: :

1. Was Colton actually filmed as the first out of the limo on Beccas season? (Please don't ever let him be our Bachelor! If you don't find time to respond to my Q's, but see any of this, PLS LET IT BE THAT!)

2. Are their any interns apart of your production team/if so how do people usually get that gig OR become producers on the show?

3. Why do all contestants delete their AMA's posted to r/thebachelor, even when they don't disclose any spoilers?

4. What are your thoughts on the Colton/Tia drama (are you over it like we are?), thoughts on Jordan?

5. Do sharks commit to making an offer on particular products/brands pre-show? Do they review any info before filming?

And lastly, please promise to do whatever you can to keep Chris Randone and people like him FAR FAR away from the show/from ever coming back! That'll do it! Thanks so much! :)

Do the sharks use their own money or is it the TV station that invests in these companies?

Original Poster37 points · 1 month ago

It is 100% their own money.

What's the hardest part about directing reality TV?

Original Poster29 points · 1 month ago

Being ready for anything to happen, and to get your entire crew on board with that idea. Staying flexible. But I love the challenge of spontaneous storytelling.

The Bachelor/Bachelorette’s format has remain largely unchanged since the beginning. Considering today’s world, many have called for changes in both casting and how the season itself operates. How do you see the show changing over the years and do you think the current format can continue to stand the test of time?

Kevin (Mr. Wonderful) doesn't seem interested in investing with many companies unless they pay him royalties. Does this bother producers? Do they want more from him, or do they keep him around for his commentary? Also, have you watched the Sharks go after a company and you thought it was a terrible investment? I love all your shows and my husband and I can't wait for Deal or No Deal to come back!!

Original Poster22 points · 1 month ago

I'm not involved with the investment choices, but I love working with Kevin. He adds so much to the show and makes directing it really fun. He keeps me on my toes!

Thank you for your support. You're going to be blown away by the new Deal! It's bigger and better than ever, debuts December 5th.

What did you think of our most recent Bachelorette, Becca?

Original Poster45 points · 1 month ago

Becca was amazing. It was great to give her a second chance at love. She's a nice, easy to work with Bachelorette.

Comment deleted1 month ago
Original Poster27 points · 1 month ago

It was incredible. How often do you get to witness 2 billionaires in a water fight?

By the way, I am proud to have that as my Emmy-nominated episode!

I actually laughed out loud while watching that!! Great TV

9 points · 1 month ago

Do you keep in touch with any of the Bachelor leads / contestants after filming is done?

Original Poster35 points · 1 month ago

I wish them well at the end, but then I'm right on to the next season or project.

Where are you when things are being filmed? With the camera crew or in a TV room?

Original Poster28 points · 1 month ago

We build a mobile control room in another room, where we can see all the cameras at once.

Oh! So you work inside the mansion?

1 more reply

What are some of the most desirable qualities you look for when casting someone for each show?

Which do you prefer directing: The Bachelor or The Bachelorette?

What is the most awkward interaction you've seen between a Bachelor/Ette and a contestant?

Has there ever been a moment that fully caught you off-guard in The Bachelor shows that made you say, "Holy shit, we got that, right?"

How will The Bachelor change their casting to avoid the messiness of Becca season?

In your opinion, what are the ingredients for a good 'Women Tell All' episode?

Original Poster30 points · 1 month ago

The same thing that makes the show good: honesty. It is great for the girls to see the Bachelor one more time. On these specials, they are able to get closure and it is a joy to direct these situations.

What are the most memorable moments you’ve been part of? Have you been in the room for any really uncomfortable or emotional scenes? I’m think of breakups like Becca and Arie or Peter and Rachel. Were you there and does it ever feel intrusive?

Original Poster22 points · 1 month ago

We are not in the room, as we are in our mobile set up looking at the cameras. Everyone knows we are making a television show, in the end we try to be the least intrusive we can, while also doing our jobs. I think these moments underscore the authenticity of the show. By that point in the season, the cast is also less aware of our presence.

Do you watch your own shows on TV? If not, what reality shows do you watch?

Original Poster28 points · 1 month ago

Yes! I like to see how they are presented with commercials. I'm too busy making the shows to have time to watch them!

What what that’s so funny to me for some reason, how cool!!!

Peter for Bachelor please? Any chance?!

Original Poster78 points · 1 month ago

There are a few great guys that are being considered. It will all be announced soon!

Venmo John for Bachelor plz!!! Or Jordan so we can have another entertaining season.

Please just NOT Jason or Colton. K thanks!

Jordan def won't be bachelor due to BIP plot.

2 more replies

Blake please!!

1 more reply

3 more replies

Is working with the Sharks as intimidating as it seems on TV?! Or are they more intimidated by you because you're the director? :)

Original Poster32 points · 1 month ago

They are certainly not intimidated by me ;)! They are more curious about my work.

They are lovely, self-made millionaires who treat everyone equally on the set.

Out of all the weddings you have directed, which was your favorite? And have you ever had to do retakes of vows/any part of the ceremony? Finally, do you have an unaired favorite moment from a tell all episode? Thanks for being here!

Do they let you drink alcohol on the job? And how wasted are contestants really on the show?

How are bachelor/ette people on camera as opposed to off camera? Do contestants act different/fight or feud/play up certain personas in front of cameras ? Who was the biggest showboat character? Is it harder to direct people who are clearly just there for fame/playing a character of themselves?

How has social media changed the way you work on bach nation shows? Have you noticed a difference in contestants?

Original Poster23 points · 1 month ago

They are always on camera! We've had many showboats, Chad is quite memorable and was a fan-favorite. For the fame question, usually it is difficult to tell on set.

Clearly my time on The Bachelor has changed with the popularity of social media. It seems to have grown the popularity and fan base a lot!

But really, did he scared you?! Lol

1 more reply

Have you been able to score any Maverick tickets from Mark Cuban?

Original Poster6 points · 1 month ago

I haven't been in Dallas during the season! But I'm sure it's a possibility... ;)

Why hasn't Kaitlyn or Rachel gotten a TV wedding yet? Who do you think will be the next bach couple to get one?

In what ways can you prevent people with concerning and offensive behavior from joining Bachelor Nation, and gaining a larger following? (ie.: Lincoln, Leo, Lee, and Garrett).

What are your thoughts on the lack of diversity (specifically Asian Americans) on The Bachelor and The Bachelorette? I'm talking full-Asians, not halfies like John and Danielle.

6 points · 1 month ago

How often does the production team discuss if and how to frame more "controversial" conversations between contestants, e.g. those that pertain to religion and politics, and if so, has there been a more concerted effort to feature these conversations as the seasons go on?

How is your work/life balance?

Obviously you're the director, but what kind of say do you have when it comes to editing? I know Bachelor fans always love the bloopers, and a lot of us wish they made it into the actual show instead of just being shown at the Men/Women Tell All.

How do the producers choose which contestants they work with for the bachelor shows? Do the contestants choose which producers they like or vice versa? Is there a fantasy draft system?

What is a typical length of work day on a Bach set? How much interaction do you have directly with the cast as far are encourgaing choices etc?

When the crew travels with the cast, are the accommodations as luxurious, or is budgeting more of a concern?

On Bach do you prefer to work with the Villians or the nice guy/girls?

What is the highest number of retakes you had to do the history of Bachelor/ette? When? Why?

How did you get started as a director? Any advice on filmmakers wanting to break into the unscripted world?

3 points · 1 month ago

Where did you start of from? First job/first gig, etc

Do you think that the bachelor and Bachelorette shows are healthy ways for people to find a relationship?

Are you related to Kent Fuchs, president of the University of Florida?

Especially in The Bachelor franchise when you're editing clips of 20-something contestants, how early in the production process do you figure out who the fan favorites and villains are likely to be? How do you decide who gets the most screen time early on?

6 points · 1 month ago

Be honest. How much input do you guys have into giving out roses in order to preserve drama and villains?

How is the experience of directing billionaires? How do you get them to do what you want? It must require some special skills!

Original Poster18 points · 1 month ago

I see them as normal people. It's amazing. They're easy. And they're brilliant. All I do is watch them go through their discovery process on all of these companies.

Name one question that you're asked frequently or have been asked here, that you dislike and won't answer (regarding The Bachelor/Bachelorette)?

Seems to be all of the questions I have been asking 😂

1 more reply

Is it true on Shark Tank the sharks had to work long hours and were purposely not fed, so that they could provide more drama when investment pitches were made. Eek. I think I heard it one of their interviews. Maybe Cuban? My question : WHYYYYYYY? Seems inhuman.

Original Poster13 points · 1 month ago

No, not at all. There's plenty of krafty on set, and the occasional food product! I love working with Mark.

1 more reply

What’s one deal a Shark has passed up on that you know they totally regret now?

Original Poster20 points · 1 month ago

I don't think the Sharks have any regrets. They don't have hindsight. They make the best decisions at the time and they move on. That's why they are sharks.

1 more reply

Who was your fav lead to work with personally and professionally?

Can you tell us more on the process of the live TV tapings? How do you prepare for it, what goes on during the taping, etc.? Great work and congratulations on your Shark Tank Emmy nod!

Curious about your role as a director for reality tv. What are some challenges you face with the job? Especially considering you can't really control what's going to happen/what someone will do. How are you prepared to shoot those unexpected happenings?

What is something you would like audiences to know about the behind the scenes secrets of a non-scripted show?

Why do you think The Bachelor has such abysmal success rates compared to the Bachelorette (and BIP) and is this something that concerns production? Will they do anything to address it?

Do you think emerging media platforms such as YouTube are a threat to broadcast television reality shows?

Is the next Bachelor more likely to be Jason/Blake, or someone from Paradise? Is there anyone who is surprisingly in the running or out of the running?

What would surprise us most about your work? Any of your favorite stories/moments on set?

Have you ever heard Ben H's name tossed around for another Bachelor season? don't bother answering if it's yes ;)

I've said it before, but I feel like Ben's the franchises' poster child, so my prediction is that he's been getting set up to be the next Chris Harrison (when he retires) instead lol. Anyways, is there anyone else you could imagine hosting in the future? Or is Chris Harrison the be all/end all for the show?

Do you think any of the contestants have been a victim of a bad edit?

Who came up with Chuck Woolery's saying "I'll be back in two and two"?

Hi Ken! Thanks for doing this AMA! Would you have any advice for somebody who would love to work in production on the US bachelor but is from Australia?

In my own personal opinion all of these shows are junk tv.

Are these genres your specialty? Or would you rather directed something else like movies/sitcoms.

81 more replies

Photographer of My Named Truth
September 27, 20180:00
Hassan Al-Kontar: Living in Limbo in Kuala Lumpur Terminal 2
September 27, 20189:00
Congressional candidate for Florida's 23rd district
September 27, 201813:00
Candidate for Congress, CA-48 (Rohrabacher)

Ben Sullender

October 2, 20187:00
Entrepreneur: Board Game Designer and Publisher
October 2, 20189:00
Political Strategist, Venture Capitalist, Author - The Fixer

Michael Hebb

October 2, 201810:00
author of Let's Talk About Death (Over Dinner)

Our.News

October 2, 201811:00
Fighting Misinformation with the Newstrition label

Jen Briney

October 2, 201811:00
Host of the Congressional Dish podcast
r/IAmA Rules
All posts must contain proof
Topics must follow IAmA guidelines
Requests belong in /r/IAmARequests
Top-level comments must ask a question
Do not ask for personal favors from an OP
Do not bypass rules by adding ? to a non-question
No abusive or harassing comments
Please See Our FAQ