Came in for a small scratch, guard dog decided to changed that.

There must be a steak or a pound of dope behind that corner of the bumper - depending on the former skill-set of the guard dog.

Original Poster77 points · 3 months ago

Untrained Rottweilers, chasing rats. Chewned up about 4 other cars, including a rear wire harness.

smoke brakes90 points · 3 months ago

Those dogs are costing the shop a lot of money. What are you going to do with them?

Get a trained gorilla to watch the dogs

Electricity and stuff62 points · 3 months ago

You called?

Might need a whole flock of them.

AvE?

Home Mechanic and Quick Lube2 points · 3 months ago

No but he is on Reddit sometimes.

Kx450f/ZX1000R2 points · 3 months ago

Include me in the Screenshot r/beetlejuicing

Kenworth3 points · 3 months ago

Me too thanks

smoke brakes3 points · 3 months ago

Am I about to be famous?

more likely that none of us are

Get a trained gorilla to watch the dogs

Lisa: But then we're stuck with gorillas!

Skinner: No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

Original Poster41 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

Not sure. Bosses haven't come in yet. If worse comes to worse I'm sure the rest of the shop and I have the dogs back in the case they end up without a home. They've grown on us quite a bit, despite the trouble they cause.

Not sure if anyone has told you yet but dogs are actually known for their teach-ability.

They might be old dogs though!

Original Poster9 points · 3 months ago

Puppies :S

Old puppies, you can't teach new tricks to old puppies.

2 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

Puppies are not supposed to live in a garage. Give them to the workers to have at home and bring to the shop so they can be trained, socialized, loved. When they are more mature you can leave them at the shop. Edit: Workers

Yup. Those dogs need discipline and supervision. You can't just leave a dog in a shop and expect it to not be an asshole.

Keeping dogs in a case is the first problem with their behavior.

Original Poster3 points · 3 months ago

I agree. Unfortunately that isn't under my control.

Investigative Technician6 points · 3 months ago

Never had a dog chew up a car, but we did once have some damage from trained Dobermans walking/jumping on top of vehicles in the lot.

trained

No they weren't

Maybe they were trained to walk and jump on top of the cars.

Investigative Technician8 points · 3 months ago

They were trained and posted by Canine Security, Ltd.

Which appears to be out of business now. So....who knows?

And its telsa

Tesla

Teslas are notoriously expensive to do body work on. Someone backed into my neighbors Tesla and dented the rear quarter panel. The shop quoted his insurance $30,000.

That’s just a few grand shy of the average price of a new car. Insane.

And that's if they let you fix it. If they decide they don't want your car on the road, it will be hell trying to get it fixed. That alone would keep me from buying one, even if I had the money.

My 2018 wrx was 30k. I can't imagine 30k is just body work. Ffffuuuu

I’m going to venture a guess that this is a result of scarcity of parts?

Tesla can’t even keep up with orders - so I imagine they aren’t able to easily produce spare parts.

We just fixed one at work, and it was surprisingly cheap. I wonder what they were repairing and/or replacing

66 Lincoln Conv, 70 Marquis Conv.2 points · 3 months ago

It’s totaled.

I'm assuming it's because Tesla is running at such high capacity that making an extra anything is a serious undertaking

Part time Audi Mechanic37 points · 3 months ago

If that was my car I'd be so far up your shop owners asshole that he'd have to open his mouth so I could tie my shoes. Fixing it for free, and that means a new panel and respray, WHILE paying for my rental car (of equivalence to my own car) would be the absolute minimum I would accept.

No offense to you but that's some top quality bullshit right there and there's ZERO chance I'd be back.

Original Poster11 points · 3 months ago

Understandable. Definitely would do all of the above. "Luckily" they arnt regular customer cars, Tesla service cars. But still a big deal when we have to tell them that a dog caused their cars to take an extra week

The fact you think they wouldn't fix it for free is hilarious.

Original Poster19 points · 3 months ago

Anyone got any tips on keeping rats out of cars? This isn't the first time this has happened. The shop has tried killing them before, but they just seem to come back. Even after trapping 1-3 of them every night for about a month. Personally I think it's unstoppable due to the urban location, I feel the rats come from surrounding building. Every other car has evidence of rats, mostly footprints in the engine bay.

Furthering the Preservation of Hexagonality58 points · 3 months ago

Anyone got any tips on keeping rats out of cars?

Rat Terriers. The bite marks on the cars will be smaller, too.

Snakes. Their fangs aren't strong enough to even get through the clear coat

Just wait until you have to get a mongoose to get the snakes out.

Best thing to get rid of rats? A damn cat.

What about a regular cat?

Damn cats close the holes in the wall too! No experience with regular cats sorry.

Bait, traps, and mousers (cats). Best you can do. Also, consider a ton of ultrasonic devices.

I'm not sure on rats, but I know this works for mice:

Take a 5 gallon bucket, and drill a small hole a 1/4" from the top rim on both sides. Put a rod through this. On this rod you mount a small plastic coke bottle, such that it rotates axially. Then you smear peanut butter all over that mofo. Then secure the end of the rods such that they dont fall out. Then mount a wood board or something as a ramp up to the rod. Fill the bucket with about 8" of water. If you want you can leave the bucket dry and relocate the mice. But then there's a bucket of rats in your car.

If necessary you could step it up to a 55 gallon drum halved with a 2 liter on it.

As to preventing the dogs from going crazy with a bucket of rats, place it in a corner area, it's important it be in the corner, as that's where they travel, and box it in with some chain link fence panels. It would only need to be 2-3 feet tall, and anchored, because I am certain the dogs will go crazy for it initially

As for the cars, I do have one solution, but I'm not proud of it. I love dogs, but I used to live in a small apartment complex, and my neighbors dog would crap in the pinestraw outside my front door. It was south Georgia in the summer, and the smell was so thick you could almost taste it.

So I bought a big fucking jar of cayenne pepper powder and sprinkled that shit everywhere. That dog quickly learned not to go near that area. You could try sprinkling it on top of the tires and on the ground under the car. It's a little mean, but it'll learn them quick. Might also keep the rats out of the cars.

Imagine the poor mother fucker who has a rat pop out on their ride home.

Original Poster3 points · 3 months ago

One of my coworkers mention something similar to the pepper. Honestly would probably work. Although it would mean having to "season" nearly 100 cars. Even though only around 4 cars where damaged this time, the rats and dogs have access to every car in the shop. The bucket would probably work, just need to put it in a corner not accessible to the dogs, they have been known to bend metal bars to get through fences...

That's just an excuse to Fab up a nice locker. And as far as seasoning 100 cars, that's what the 'young kids' are for. Just tell them it builds character.

Original Poster3 points · 3 months ago

Now that I think about it, seasoning all the cars sounds hilarious even if it doesn't work. I can just imagine everyone waking around sneezing and cursing.

Last 5 minutes of the day you all get to stand around watching the guy run car to car 'rat dusting'.

Oddly this reminds of a great prank my buddy once got me with. He smeared some hot pepper oil on the nose pads of my safety goggles. By the time I worked up a sweat and it got into my skin, I was done for. Had a runny nose and tears in my eyes for an hour. So I took his die grinder and filled it with cayenne powder.

He said the ensuing dust cloud was what he imagined pepper spray would feel like

Snakes to kill the rats, a mongoose to kill the snakes, a hawk to kill the mongoose. Pretty simple really.

But what do I get to kill the hawks?

A gun

If you are in an urban area and have a rat problem, it's probably like you said, nothing you can do about it. While I despise cats in most cases, this is the one thing they are good for.

Original Poster8 points · 3 months ago

There are actually quite a few cats around, but they stay away because of the dogs. Thus completing the loop.

Humans attracte rats Rats attract cats Dogs repel bad humans Dogs also repel cats

Simple salutation, train dog to not chase rats. But I fear bosses are to "cheap" to pay for that, while having to pay thousands in damages...

Figure our your security situation. Dogs are costing you a lot more than putting in proper locks, cameras, etc. Then throw in some cats. That'll take care of the rat problem, easily.

Original Poster4 points · 3 months ago

Very true. unfortunately the security situation isn't my call to make, I've tried to voice my concerns. But I can see the reasoning behind it. The shop is totally gated off and there are cameras all over, but almost all cars are stored outside. The dogs are to stop a group of determined guys from hoping the fence and ripping out every radio in a single night.

What if you got extra-large cats to replace the dogs. They may not be as likely to chase the smaller cats that keep the rats at bay.

I'm not sure if tigers (for example) are likely to damage cars; just throwing out ideas...

What about a night watchman or have someone live onsite?

Bait boxes work really well and they won't hurt the dogs.

My dog set off a rat trap but she was quick enough that I didn't get her. She stays real far away from them now.

The bait boxes poison the rats, and they bugger off and die. Hopefully not in a car. I've had some success with putting bottle caps of antifreeze in their rat hole, so no other animals could get to it. The next day it would be empty...

Depends. Rats often kill cats.

While it's certainly not impossible, that is the first time I've heard that.

mothballs (not where the dogs could eat them)

Sounds like time to put poisoned food in high places dog's cant eat it but the rats can. Alternative you could catch them in a live trap and either drown them or sell them as snake food. I wouldn't release them personally.

I dont know, I just tow them2 points · 3 months ago

I do this in my back yard. I searched for rat baits that didnt have a high chance on passing the poison onto the dogs even if they just pick up their carcasses. A pair of bait stations and a 3 gallon bucket with a gross of bait blocks was about $60 on amazon. I've already got two dozen rats and I think a few squirrels.

Yes, get a cat.

Cats?

A sealed garage with properly implimented pest precautions.

I can't imagine it would be that hard to just seal up the car though, it doesn't require much frequent service anyhow.

Tesla?

Original Poster20 points · 3 months ago

Yes. Most of the cars damaged are Teslas

These dogs are obviously in the back pocket of big oil then.

Wow! You just brought back memories of the Rotties my parents had at their body shop. These bastards would do the same crap. They switched to dobies, but my brother, who ran the place, should have done the "changing of the guard..dogs" without the previous dogs teaching the bad habits. The damage was the same or worse. They would also go through vinyl tops,brake lines and radiator hoses.. The antifreeze did one of the in.

Sounds like a training problem not a breed problem.

Yep write it off

Nom nom

For those absolutely stupid things that you see people bring, roll, or toss into your place of business and the people that bring them in.