Archived

Kendrick Lamar - HUMBLE

Me and Top is like Curry and KerrModerator of r/KendrickLamar, speaking officiallyScore hidden · 1 year ago · Stickied comment · edited 1 year ago

Not feeling it, guys.

Hol' up, bitch.

115 points · 1 year ago

JUST BURY ME WITH TWENTY BITCHES TWENTY MILLION AND A COMPTOWN FITTED HOL' UP

His full project are never quite the same as singles its been a pattern that fans hate on the singles get all worried and then are shocked by the album. I still dig this shit but if you dont i would stick around and see what happens next bc i wouldnt be supprised if you love it.

Fucking exactly. I've followed Kendrick from OD and everybody puts the MOST expectations on this guy (rightfully so) and so many people get way too fucking worried. This is kendrick Lamar we are talking about. He KNOWS what he's doing. Don't doubt this dude. The song is fire as fuck and some really good bars. He is an album artist and a rap genius. If you think this is how his whole album will be and not as deep as the past concepts, just sit down be humble and fucking wait

I wonder why there were like 5-6 shots where the lipsync was notably off. That has to be intentional but I wonder who he's going at

42 points · 1 year ago

It looks like he changed the words. Not a "lip reader" by any means, but when there are errors, his lip motion looks similar to other words he says.

In the scene where his head is on fire, one slip up is on the word "Who that nigga thinkin that he frontin on man, man." It looks like his lips come together in a similar motion as when he begins "frontin." Given the syllables, he could have originally had "fucker" instead of "nigga." It works with the beat.

In the scene under the bridge, there's a discrepancy on "I blew cool from AC, ayy", but I cannot tell what it could have been. In the same scene, he says "Most of yall be fakin, ayy." He definitely mouths "I" for the first word, but the second one escapes me. It could be "think," but that doesn't match up too well with other instances of "think" in the song.

Some other instances seem to just be editing mistakes, but I notice a few of them happen around when he's protesting the use of photoshop and editing, so that could be an intentional effect.

edit: messed up a lyric and boldening emphasis

8 points · 1 year ago

thx for analysis fam

Maybe that's meant the words he's saying are simply the words he wants us to hear while the true meaning remains silent and only discovered by reading between the lines. Or... ya know, it was just a mistake. Hell, I don't know.

23 points · 1 year ago

"Most of yall be fakin" as he lip syncs incorrectly so yeah it was intentional

I was wondering this too.

10 points · 1 year ago

Oh shit, I thought that was just my internet or something lol

big sean maybe?

Maybe Kendrick switched up some of the lyrics last second? Heart pt 4 showed that he's got the capability to make dope tracks quickly.

That could be true, but youd imagine with all the footage they recorded they could've attempted to mask the lipsync errors with a shot where kendrick isnt rapping. This seems out of character

I think they really wanted that shot and that shot needed to be continuous to work. I'm betting he shot the video, then went back to work on his album and changed some lyrics and then they just decided to go with it.

6 more replies

747 points · 1 year ago

Am I going crazy here? Is there some kind of inside joke on this sub that I'm not aware of with people saying this song wasn't good? This shit fucking bangs.

New Kendrick album, new group of people sayin it doesn't sound like Kendrick.

Everytime.

That feeling when you realize some people only listen to the beat, and not the lyrics.

I mean, it's his voice how's it not sound like him?

It didn't fit into my preconceived expectations of what he should sound like reeeEEEEEEEEEEE

7 points · 1 year ago

It's the JayZ effect all over again

What's the yams?8 points · 1 year ago

Why would you want a musician to do something different? Shouldn't they just re-hash the same album over and over their entire career?

3 more replies

Thank you for saying this Dad. Now go mod /r/frankocean

52 points · 1 year ago

boi

Don't you do this Eneyek, you know OBJesus my main man but you a close second ;)

Fezbuk

5 points · 1 year ago

Big if true

3 points · 1 year ago

heh

I know right? This is a completely different direction for Kendrick and I couldn't be more excited.

32 points · 1 year ago

I think it fucking slaps. We're not getting TPAB part 2 and I certainly wouldn't want that. Everyone just needs to chill.

BANGS.

6 points · 1 year ago

SHIT BLOPS

21 points · 1 year ago

There's levels to this shit you and I know

Sup Dad. I know the best song wasnt the single, but this is dope af.

life ain't shit but a fat vagina35 points · 1 year ago

I've listened to it seven times now, this song is incredible in my opinion

11 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

This happens whenever an artist releases something different than what they were previously known for. Everyone here likes Kendrick's previous work, otherwise they wouldn't be here. Not everyone is going to like this new sound though, since people just have different tastes. So it seems less people dislike the new stuff at first because the people who will be turned off by Kendrick's new style haven't left yet, and the new fans who maybe didn't like his previous styles haven't arrived yet.

hey dad

3 more replies

612 points · 1 year ago

Shit, on hiphopheads everybody was lovin it. Over here y'all are hatin it? Why? Not every fuckin song has to be all deep. Don't turn into Hopsin fans. This shit bangs, nice beat, dope flow. Can't wait for the album

194 points · 1 year ago

Precisely this. Just because it's a banger and not reflective doesn't take away from it.

107 points · 1 year ago

Also it's not even like it's not reflective at all. It's not as deep as most of his tracks but damn people acting the lyrics are meaningless.

Yeah, I even thought there's a cool contrast K. Dot does between being humble and braggy, and what something like being "the greatest rapper alive" can do to your humbleness

5 points · 1 year ago

Exactly. Plus, who knows. Maybe Its hella deep in the context of the album.

20 points · 1 year ago

Even as a banger, it's not really a banger. I'm sorry I love hearing Kdots music, but I wasn't feelin' this song.

38 points · 1 year ago

Does banger mean a song you dance to or what? I don't to this type of music, but I thought it was nice and the video was great.

If you groove you lose and damn did i lose

14 points · 1 year ago

Never heard that before, nice phrase and I agree.

Comment deleted1 year ago(1 child)

He's simultaneously saying he's top of the game and telling everyone else to be humble, but he's also saying this. It's fucking great, and something only K. Dot can do.

50 points · 1 year ago

I swear to god that this new fans that Kendrick earned with TPAB are really annoying

17 points · 1 year ago

You are bether for liking him sooner.

17 points · 1 year ago

That's not what i was trying to say fam

STAY HUMBLE

Not hating, been a fan of kdot since the beginning if that evens anything, but this song was weak and generic.

1 more reply

Is there like a stereotype about hopsin fans

MATADOR MATADOR HATADOR103 points · 1 year ago

Sweet boy

Ignorance is bliss I guess

3 more replies

I miss his jazz band. That aside, it was good.

7 points · 1 year ago

Saw him live in Dublin this summer, and Damn was I blown away by the band he had on stage with him. Playing trap on keyboard, drums and bass guitar was just as crazy as seeing the greatest rapper alive with my own eyes.

It still has many layers of meaning and depth.

I didn't amazingly love the beat or the hook on the first listen but I jammed to it and the hook slowly got to me. It's subtle. It's beating Migos at their own game while spreading a message of humility instead of braggadocio like Backseat Freestyle.

I think if this is the Backseat Freestyle of the album, and the rest is a bit different, I will appreciate it greatly in context. Not a perfect instant standout single or anything, but a good introduction to a new era.

I'm not saying I love the song or that I hate it. Merely that it clearly fits and serves its purpose before the release for now.

If you truly been following kdot since the beginning, actually if you listen to all his shit you realize kdot has already been deep. This is his turn to have fun. I'm loving this shit. If I wanted some deep shit I'll listen to any of his past albums.

I'm sure the video has much more meaning than the song does probably the reason he released it as a music video

9 more replies

244 points · 1 year ago

Were you guys expecting another TPAB track? This shit is dope fucking be humble.

Comment deleted1 year ago(2 children)
9 points · 1 year ago

Why can't I find this song anywhere but on Vimeo?

1 more reply

All the TPAB tracks are on TPAB. This is something new and exciting. And knowing kdot he's going to make something unique. If he didn't have anything significant to say he wouldn't make an album. He already made great ones. No pressure to make one. He could have not made an album for a few years and be OK.

163 points · 1 year ago

Wow. I immediately dropped my phone when he went in.

The beat kills it and he glides across the beat while striking at every opportunity to do so.

280 points · 1 year ago

Guys let fucking Kenny do his damn thing, this song was a good song to sucker in all the mainstream listeners to get them excited about the new album. Then he's gonna drop the truth on them. Please believe in Kenny.

This right here. Hop over to /r/hiphopheads and they are loving it. Listen to what he's saying he's drawing the ear with the sound but giving the wisdom with the bars. This is who I am, what I'm about, be humble. That's how I took it. I expect the album to be a level deeper than this. This could easily be the opening track leaving room for sonic progression.

I'm kinda hoping this is the ironic track like the way Backseat Freestyle is on GKMC.

Exactly. Even Swimming Pools is in that same vein of being very accessible sonically but also being very dense lyrically.

20 points · 1 year ago

I love swimming pools (and Backseat Freestyle) for that. It's the kind of track that sounds like something at a party but listening to it and understanding it really makes it a serious track.

9 points · 1 year ago

Kind of like "Hey Ya" no?

But backseat freestyle actually bumped

5 points · 1 year ago

bruh this shit blops, sit down be humble

10 points · 1 year ago

Yeah, I see definite similarities between Humble and Backseat Freestyle. They are both Kendrick ironically bragging about his achievements. The only difference is that in Backseat Freestlye, they are "achievements" from him being in the hood (big dick, getting bitches, wanting money/power). In Humble, it is more bragging about his success in the rap game and as a celebrity (Obama just paged me, If I quit I'm still the greatest, etc). I think if there is anything to take it is that this album isn't going to be about Kendrick's earlier years or the hood like his other projects, but a different theme taking his new greatest rapper alive status into account.

Only thing I dont get so far is how God is gonna be tied into this thing (other than the single art)

2 more replies

1 more reply

Nah I really disagree. I think the whole album is gonna be very similar. We've already heard from insiders that the beats sound hard. This is the first example of that.

That being said, "Be Humble" isn't bad at all. Lyrics still represent the KDOT we know and love, but the beats are certainly nothing we've seen before. It may take some listens, but I think I could get used to it.

But yea, after tonight, I am not expecting any jazz whatsoever on this album next week.

Comment deleted1 year ago(2 children)

2 more replies

Yeah, my mate who loves mainstream absolutely loved this track. But I dont get what you guys dont like, its ok at the first couple of listens, but damn does it get good after those

9 more replies

31 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

okay I see everyone judging the album all early. y'all gotta remember this is just a single, it might not be on the album. but on the other hand, yall also gotta remember that it's insanely hard to top something as good as tpab. don't keep your hopes too high, or else you'll be disappointed.

Itt: Everyone who circle-jerks Kendrick being the goat not giving this song a chance even though Section 80, Gkmc, and Tpab were all very different styles. People didn't like I or backseat freestyle and guess what those to tracks fit into their respective albums perfectly. Y'all sound like the Gambino "fans" that hated on Awaken my Love for being different.

If you were expecting another To Pimp a Butterfly then you don't know Kendrick.

LET'S FUCKING GO

Comment deleted1 year ago(1 child)

1 more reply

I like it, it's certainly not one of his best but it's decent.

Not "alright" level, but certainly a good song

33 points · 1 year ago

Song is dope but this music video fucking hell it's high production value.

15 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

damn that opening flow was filthy. i get almost a Stankonia type feel

55 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

There's a chance that this might not even be on the album so don't get too upset guys.

EDIT: Honestly, this seems like another Heart Pt. 4 giving another warning to other rappers to humble themselves because they aren't all that. I'm not going to say this won't be on the album but based on what he's already said about this album, it doesn't really align with it.

EDIT 2: It's definitely better after a few listens once you get past that initial shock of this different sound. I normally enjoy listening to Kendrick's lyrics, flow, finding little things that exist within the songs, but I can definitely just mindlessly listen to this and enjoy it.

10 points · 1 year ago

I hope you're right. I'll reserve all permanent judgement til April 7th.

I got so many theories and suspicions16 points · 1 year ago

Maybe this is the "I" of this album, who knows.

75 points · 1 year ago

'To Pimp a Butterfly will sound too happy and optimistic"

I got so many theories and suspicions9 points · 1 year ago

Ye, this is just the radio song anyway

2 more replies

1 more reply

If they decided to make a video for it then yeah, I'd say this is gonna be on the album. Still, one song is not enough to judge what the whole album is gonna be like.

i liked it

like a chevy in quicksand61 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

i don't know how to feel about this to be honest. yea, good kid m.A.A.d city was commercial, but this feels REALLY commercial, like almost overly commercial. Maybe it's because of some built-up expectations of mine. I definitely wanna listen to this track a few more times. But if this is what we're getting for most the album, I'm gonna be slightly disappointed.

edit 1: ok yall, remember this could always be an "i" situation. we get a radio friendly single and then something deeper on the album.
if you guys watch the video, it almost feels like a parody on modern Hip-Hop artists. K Dot is smarter than this. Have hope ya bishes!!

edit 2: ok i'm convinced there's more to this than we see. I can see this being the opening track of the album. The theme being Kendrick thinking of himself as "the greatest" because of TPAB's success. That's where the theme of God comes in. K Dot thinks he's the greatest shit since God, and throughout the album, he realizes that aint the case. If so, I predict the album progressively getting less commercial as it goes on.
Additionally, this shit looks like a parody of Drake's Energy. It could be both a diss on Drake and a satire of modern rappers.
I've grown warmer to this song, but I'm really hoping TOC delivers more.

Comment deleted1 year ago(1 child)

^

1 more reply

There's not necessarily more to this than it's face value, and it's spot on an album that will probably have a more mainstream sound. People who have heard it have described it as such. TPAB, and it's musical companions UU, and The Heart Part 4, will probably be an outlier throughout his career, and I feel he ended the era wisely, with what The Heart Part 4 and Humble do have in common.

Could always be an "i" situation.

It is, that's how lead singles work.

K Dot is smarter than this.

I wouldn't wanna be the guy acting like he ain't at his best when he's about to blow shit the fuck up in a week.

It kind of sounds like you're describing a lot of what TPAB was already about: introspection.

I expect TOC/IV to be more along the lines of what he said it would be. An honest conversation. One that has to be had, no matter how ugly the subject matter may be. I do agree that this would be a great opening track, or statement to make earlier in the album, but for different reasons/expectations. If he's about to drop some truths bombs, bitches might be better off sitting down.

where's a source of someone who's listened to the album and said it's more mainstream?

There was an interview posted here earlier this week. I will admit that I may have interpreted it my own way, but the guy said that it was not jazzy, and had a harder sound.

He only heard a few beats from producers associated with Kendrick, they might not even be in the final cut. Idk why people are assuming the sound, Blacker the Berry wasn't anything like the rest of TPAB.

Just chill until April 7th, and trust in King Kendrick

I'll take the loss.

I wasn't making any sort of judgements, though. And while I did express some of my own expectations, the point of my comment was to kind of discourage people from kind of reachy expectations. I had U, and Humble will have it's counterpart, but they will probably share a lot of DNA.

Edit: Since I haven't outright said it in this chain/conversation, I fucking love Humble.

2 more replies

2 more replies

People are so fucking boring. Like y'all really expected him to make another TPAB? Kendrick has always switched up his sound.

26 points · 1 year ago

This trash? He went in, all bars... no hard beat, no beat drop... just like Em, all bars. This is to show how harsh and hard he is damn...

Oh shit you are right, this is a lot like Marshall! Kendrick said in one of his interviews that em was a big influence of his

68 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

I hope this isn't what the album is like.

Edit: I take that back. This is pretty cool.

28 points · 1 year ago

I disagree this made me very excited for the album. I mean just the cinematography along and the different scenes in the vid were amazing.

5 points · 1 year ago

I edited what I said. This single is different and he goes off, and if the entire album is like this, it will be another classic.

12 points · 1 year ago

I 200% agree. I loved GKMC and TPAB and this song is Kendrick once again showing he can't be bound to one style. K Dot owns everything he tries

3 points · 1 year ago

Bitch sit down.... be humble😂

"Place Blame When you Steal"52 points · 1 year ago

I really don't fuck with the instrumental and I think the verses are kinda lackluster but the video's production is fucking wild

7 points · 1 year ago

Amen. Whoever produced this video deserves a raise!

visually, shit had me thinking of mbdtf right off the bat, then the whole track seemed to play off of it like kendrick walking a mile in kanye's shoes.

I'm in

I like the song, I think it'll get old pretty fast, but yeah I think the video is crazy. This is a damn good music video, I was actually interested in watching the video as much as listening to the song lol

8 points · 1 year ago

yeah, this song is okay

2 more replies

OHHH LAWD20 points · 1 year ago

Shit does no one else love this?

5 points · 1 year ago

I fuck with it.

Fuck it, I love it. The video is amazing, the beat is nice. I don't need to sit with the lyrics for a month to fully appreciate the multi-layered meanings. It's just a fun song.

Can we talk about the dinner table and who is at the dinner table. The only one I recognized was Daveed Diggs but the dude to his left kinda looks like FlyLo but I don't think it's him

5 more replies

8 points · 1 year ago

The music video was fucking amazing TDE never fails to impress me with their production.

13 points · 1 year ago

I can't be the only one astonished by the camera work in this video am I?? It is UNBELIEVABLE, visually this videos is indisputably incredible. Sonically and lyrically I love it as well. This video is great!!!

Honestly one of the best music videos I have seen. I don't watch a whole lot of them though.

MATADOR MATADOR HATADOR6 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

As i commented on the /r/hhh thread:

I'm gonna be honest, mixed opinions on the track. It's a banger, don't get me wrong, but not in a Kendrick way, more in a cliche radio hiphop way. Don't get me wrong, i get down to some cliche radio hiphop but I'd expect more from Kendrick.

Like another commenter said, I hope this is a lot like Backseat Freestyle in that it makes way more sense in the context of the album, and is borderline satirical of itself. I feel like it almost has to be - the song feels like a rip on, as stated, cliche radio hip hop, especially the production. The lyrics are semi braggodocious (at least that how it seemed from my first listen) while saying "be humble". I have to hope it's a rib on itself and will be better in context. Again, I feel like it almost has to be. Kendrick said this album is "urgent". And this song is not, at least not in it's current context.

That said - I enjoy the song, but am slightly dissapointed with the context of it.

EDIT: okay, something else to add. The start of this track starts insane and then goes a completely different direction. This isn't new for Kendrick, but I wanna remind yall about Hood Politics. That song is kinda like this - bangs, a little obnoxious, but in the context of the album is amazing. That song starts with TPAB-esque production, and then turns to a more typical banger-esque beat. Maybe this is the same way, an outlier track, starting similar to the rest but forming it's own lane. I'm seriously holding hope this is the case, because Kendrick flowing on some electric guitars could be fucking insane

1 more reply

Beat bangs, video is insane.

I feel underwhelmed, but I'm hopeful this is like "Backseat Freestyle" because when viewed as a Kendrick song its dissapointing, but as a song in general its actually pretty good, so I just hope this is used as more of a framing piece in a story like Backseat Freestyle and Hood Politics were, y'know? But, as is...I'm admittedly a bit disappointed. But, I won't judge the album on one song alone, I'm super stoked to hear whatever he drops next, especially after The Heart Part 4 was so great. Besides...this actually isn't even confirmed to be on the album either yet, I don't believe. So it could just be a promotional single of some kind, and be more for like the deluxe edition. I dunno, but even if I'm not completely satisfied, I can't say it dampened any of my hope for the next album. Go King Kendrick.

Comment deleted1 year ago(1 child)

1 more reply

First, didnt know there was a kendrick sub. dope. Second this song fucking bangssssss. Third, the video is so good! Kendrick has really evolved over the years which is great, every album sounds different but still masterworks in their own right. Can't wait for the new album to drop.

12 points · 1 year ago

He is fucking with us. When I first saw the artwork i thought it was cringey as fuck, the beginning with those head movements? Throwing bills on a bed of dollars? And then saying "be humble" in the same song!! This is a parody of the actual rap industry, i know the album will be as deep as the mariana trench

Got a high tolerance, when your age don't exist3 points · 1 year ago

Yea, the juxtaposition is on point.

24 points · 1 year ago

I hope it is merely the "Backseat Freestyle" and "King Kunta" of his upcoming album. Then we good.

Is King Kunta seen as an "odd one out" track? Cause it's like, one of my favorites on it and I think it fits the style perfectly.

I believe what he is saying is the lyrics/subject matter of KK and BF are fairly generic and mainstream. However, they are still awesome songs, especially when put into context with the rest of the album. I love King Kunta, but if I had listened to it by itself without the rest of the album, I wouldn't like it nearly as much.

Funny cause King Kunta was literally the song that made me like Kendrick, I had only heard like, swimming pools and single I and while I kinda liked Swimming Pools I didn't care enough to listen to more. Eventually I heard King Kunta and decided I had to listen to TPAB, (i only got to GKMC this year, seriously)

4 points · 1 year ago

Yeah I'm about the same. A friend showed me Sing About Me/Dying of Thirst last year which lead me to watching the TPAB music videos a bit. Eventually heard TPAB and it's been King Kendrick since.

Hope thats not a knock on Backseat Freestyle

Backseat Freestyle an all time great

Phew, just making sure!!

18 points · 1 year ago

That's not the same guy bruh

Too distracted by listening to humble, my bad mate.

12 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

I'm gonna reserve judgement until the album drop. As a single, definitely not into it. Could just be a loosey but I don't think that's likely. Might work differently in the album. Hearts Part 4 got me excited, this made me a little nervous.

Edit: After my third listen, I'm totally digging it now. Excited again!

This song is crazy. Wtf are you talking about. He isn't just gonna make a bunch of TPABs.

4 points · 1 year ago

Opinion has switched after my third listen. Totally onboard and excited again!

Listen, I'm fine throwing single "i" to the side, I never really enjoyed it, and ended up loving Album "i". So maybe this will be better with context, or it's not on the album? But seriously if this is what the album sounds like, I don't think I'll dig it. I don't doubt Kendrick can still make amazing stuff considering The Heart Part IV was only a week ago, and had some of the best bars I'd heard in months. Just, guess I'll see on April the 7th right?

1 more reply

Not your typical K. Dot track but I know a week from tomorrow it will all make sense. He always got a vision. In K. Dot I trust.

33 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

Um...anyone else think this wasn't all that great? I know I'm in a Kendrick sub but this just doesn't feel like a Kendrick track.

this just doesn't feel like a Kendrick track.

What are you talking about? If you heard TPAB after hearing GKMC you'd say the same thing. The defining characteristic of a great artist is not simply making the same album fifteen times.

7 more replies

I got so many theories and suspicions11 points · 1 year ago

Ye well they said it was going to be more commercial.

4 more replies

18 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

Yeah I agree, by Kendrick's standards, this is kind of subpar. Really not a big fan of the hook.

EDIT: It's actually grown on me a little after listening to it a couple more times, but I still don't think it comes close to his best work

Yup, verses are ok but the beat is generic and the hook drags for way too long, I kind of hope this isn't how the album is going to be. Kendrick can do so much better than this. PS: When I heard it was produced by MikeWill I expected something like this tbh

I really like that the sub is being honest about this. /r/hhh is sucking the single hard and I just really don't get it.

OHHH LAWD17 points · 1 year ago

I'm still being honest by saying that I love it, is the most popular opinion automatically wrong?

1 more reply

Didn't people say the same shit about "I"

2 more replies

Comment deleted1 year ago(1 child)

Worst case at least we got the heart part 4 out of this.

1 more reply

I thought you weren't supposed to be able to see God as a human ?? But clearly this was proven wrong?

He's humble

I like it

Honestly fam this is Kenny showing us that he can still make a hit song, thats what Heart part 4 was about. Hes the greatesr rapper alive and he can make any time of rap he wants and he'll still do it perfect.

Personally, I don't really dig the song that much...but the cinematography of the video. SHIT, SON. LIKE WHOAH.

I bump to this shit so hard

3 points · 1 year ago

holy shit this is fucking littttt

3 points · 1 year ago

Is that Paul Pierce in the car with K during the Grey Poupon part?

1 more reply

Getting GKMC vibes (mostly backseat freestyle). I'm excited for this album.

I understand everyone on here saying they didn't like it. I also totally understand that there's a ton to like. I don't like this particular brand of rap, and songs like these aren't why I love Kendrick. That being said, I'm still very excited for his next album. Let's not forget that Kendrick is ALWAYS an acquired taste.

That video was incredible.

3 points · 1 year ago

I love this, it's got that awesome king kunta like beat

Calm down a second guys. Remember how "i" really sounded nothing like TPAB. It's all fine

Damn y'all hate this?? It's hot. Not Kendrick's usual style but still he fucking spits and the video dope as hell.

1 more reply

I feel like people thinking this isn't good are forgetting that this song will be just one part of an entire album. Backseat Freestyle is very similar to this song lyrically. If Backseat was released as a single, it would be easy to disregard it as subpar. However, Backseat is a great song when placed in context with the rest of the album, and I hope this song will be similar.

I doubt the rest of the album will be like this, every Kendrick album has a song with similar to this one. We don't know too much about the album, but the interviews we have seen suggest Kendrick isn't selling out. My theory is that Humble was released as a single to get the mainstream crown hyped for this album.

1 more reply

I really hope this isn't what we can expect on the album. And I freaking love Kendrick. But this disappointed me. I'm excited to decipher the symbolism in the video though!

:| that was alright at best, albums bout to be dope tho

Has kdot ever led us wrong? No. Sit down. This shits dope, just like "i" was as a single on TPAB, shit didn't have context until he dropped the whole tape. If anything, I'm more excited.

This shit right here is just like TPAB , needs time till ya feel it P.S : fact based on own experience

Lol TPAB didn't need time. Instant classic. Smh

Don't play like you heard jazzy instrumentals and was immediately used to it.

The jazzy instrumentals are why I immediately fell for it. I was on a ski trip when it dropped but wanted to wait until I was back in the UK so I could stream it HQ. I overheard someone playing For Free? and instantly reacted with "this shit groovy".

3 more replies

Money Trees Give Me Shade2 points · 1 year ago

I don't know about this...

it's something though.

Love all the images in this video. Very cool also the beat is great.

2 points · 1 year ago

Just been listening to this over and over and it actually makes me optimistic for the album. I know it isn't exactly what we want out of Kenny, but he usually releases these kinds of tracks as singles first (Backseat Freestyle, King Kunta, etc).

If we end up with an album similar to GKMC I will be very satisfied, but he is probably taking it in a new direction. Still, he's showing us that he can still spit fire and the album is gonna tie it all together. I have faith.

🐐

Obviously this song isn't on TPAB or even GKMC level for that matter but I'm not disappointed whatsoever. Of course it's totally not what any of us were expecting but I think it's really refreshing just to see Kendrick have fun with a track, not to say he's not had fun on anything else he's done but it's cool to hear something different. Not everything has to be deep and political, chill everybody!

MY LEFT STROKE JUST WENT VIIIIRALL

4 / 7 Kenny gets his coronation. #ALBUM4

Every Kendrick album has had a alt-title or sort of second title.

Good Kid m.A.Ad City's full title was "A Short Film By Kendrick Lamar"

To Pimp A Butterfly was "An Open Letter By Kendrick Lamar"

i have a strange feeling that ending transition, the glitched out tv feels leads us to the next alt title "A Show By Kendrick Lamar"

A "sub-title" if you will lol

I didn't know the actual term thanks nigga

Wasn't TPAB a "poem"? Idk. I'm probably remembering wrong.

2 points · 1 year ago

Anyone else spot all the homies from the vice documentary

2 points · 1 year ago

I can definately fucks with this!

2 points · 1 year ago

Idk why people are surprised that this isn't like his other albums. I thought this was pretty clear when he switched it up from GKMC -> TPAB. TOC gonna be lit.

This song its pretty dope, I especially liked the visuals in the video. Small planet filter was awesome!

2 points · 1 year ago

He looks kinda bored in the video, it's probably more of a symbolic video, if you catch my drift.

2 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

This could be the new album's "Backseat Freestyle", so don't get too angry about this.

Edit: I also think that this is a commercial move to get people focused on him. So when everyone is focused on him, he's going to drop some real shit. Keep in mind too that he said this album would be about God, and this doesn't sound like that.

1 more reply

I liked it. i don't want another tpab i want to see kendricks range

2 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

This is definitely a small part of a larger story. Once again Kendrick is talking to his inner self and fighting against his inner conflict. On the surface it's very braggadocio, but I think that's the point so that there is room for the conflict. Guess we'll see. When shit hits the fan, is you still a fan?

I don't think this track will be on the album. Like 'The Heart Pt 4', Kendrick is just throwing shots and bragging about how far he's come, the album will have a different theme imo

2 points · 1 year ago

This music video is good.

101 more replies

A place where you can discuss Kendrick Lamar!

r/KendrickLamar Rules