LPT: after you wash your hoodies, hang dry them instead of using a dryer. This will help you avoid getting the annoying 'waves' in your zipper.

Sort by
233 points6 months ago

Hang dry all the clothes you care about

76 points6 months agoedited 6 months ago

Especially this. As a tall person, my clothes show midriff if I machine dry them a few times. Only took me 15 years of doing laundry to learn, lol 馃檲

ETA: yes I know about the cool setting. Yes I know about tall sections of clothing stores 馃槕

I feel like people in this thread need to learn that driers have a temperature setting and you can set it to cool. This'll prevent a lot of the issues here.

Line drying is better for your clothes because all the lint in the drier is fabric from your clothes. But line dried stuff has a much flatter texture when it's done.

Fading is more of an issue than shrinking. My drier has a no heat setting. Put it in there with a dry towel and it's much faster than line drying.

Definitely does still cause fading.

You know they have tall sizes

Some tall sizes aren't tall enough for some people though honestly. Old Navy for instance is too short for me before washing and I'm only 6'4" which isn't excessively tall.

Yup. JCPENNEY and Belk have tall sections. I'm not sure what other department stores do since those are the only ones in my area that do.

Clothes shrink for people of all heights.

I do this with those fuzzy blankets too. If you've never dried them in the dryer, then they retain that like-new softness.

Hmmm that is good to know. Thank you!

But then all your clothes will be loose

?? How

Water is heavy and it pulls the fabric down because gravity- stretching it longer and can make it wider also resulting in vertical creases that don鈥檛 lie flat due to excess length.

It depends on the material. For jeans and Oxford cloth shirts, hanging is fine. For sweaters, fleece, and other stretchy material, lay them flat to dry.

They make drying rack for clothes

Or dry at a lower temperature. Believe it or not, your dryer has different settings.

I dry all my clothes with lowest temperature option and dry expensive clothes with no heat option, (I live a lone and have my own dryer, so I can keep them in dryer as long as I want)

work great so far since I start doing this

1 point6 months ago

That works much better than ordinary drying for many fabrics. I鈥檓 surprised more people don鈥檛 do this.

It鈥檚 still worth having a drying rack for hand wash, dry clean, dry flat items, like good sweaters, anything with sequins or beads, and anything you can see right through.

• If you get wrinkles with the cool method and don鈥檛 want to steam/iron, you can pull out the clothes that don鈥檛 need or want heat, throw in a damp wash cloth, and apply just 5-10 minutes of heat as you鈥檙e folding the rest.

good sweaters

Don't use a drying rack for sweaters. The weight of the material and water will stretch the material and cause it to lose form. The best way to dry them is to put them down on a flat surface atop some mesh or a clean cooling grate and put a fan on them.

Or an air-hockey table if you have one. Those things are magic.

11 points6 months ago

LPT REQUEST: how do you fix it once the waves are here ?

You get waves in the zipper because it doesn't shrink, but the fabric does, so you have to stretch the fabric back out.

Use an iron, set to steam, or a steamer on the fabric around the zipper. Grip each end of the fabric beside the zipper and pull gently. Hold it taut until it cools. Repeat until straight. You may need to do this to the body of the hoodie on each side of the zipper if it's really bad.

I tried to iron it but not this way. I will definitly try, thank you!

You may also want to saturate the fabric around the zipper with a mix of liquid fabric softener and water (approx 1 tablespoon per 8 oz water). Then gently stretch the fabric so the zipper lies flat and let it dry. I know this is one method of re-sizing things that shrunk in the wash.

Bonus tip: spray this mixture on wrinkled clothing item, shake or smooth out wrinkles and let it dry. Wrinkle free with no iron needed!!

Thanks for the tips. Will try!

Good luck! You may have to do this every time you wash it.

35 points6 months ago

Also, if you do put anything with a zipper in the dryer make sure you zip it first to prevent snagging and tiny holes in your other clothes.

Same goes for putting it in the washer.

3 points6 months ago

Good catch! Washer or dryer.

5 points6 months ago

Hmmm that explains all the holes in my underwear..

0 points6 months ago

That might be from powdered detergent that you鈥檙e not allowing to dissolve properly before adding clothes? Maybe try dissolving the detergent in hot water first when you鈥檙e adding it to cold water?

Dryer turns the fuzzy lining into a matted nappy mess.

It also keeps the fluff inside from tangling into balls (more comfortable IMO), and honestly hanging anything with non-degradable fibers is probably a good idea.

My husband's beer gut takes care of that unfortunately.

Instead of "hoodies", I read "bodies". LPT n掳2: Never tumble dry corpses, it gets messy.

I hang all my clothes to dry. The waves still appear...

I suspect that if anything would help, it might be lying it flat to dry. (Pretty sure there's actually an instruction symbol for that, just... not in hoodies)

You must wash in high heat then.

Not especially, I use 40掳C for everything except underwear and towels... (The options on my machine are "cold" [synthetics], 30掳C [wool], 40掳C, 60掳C and 90掳C)

honestly, I've just made peace with the fact that hoodies are pretty casual clothing anyway, if you're in circumstances where smooth tidy clothing is expected you won't pick a hoodie in the first place

It could be that they stretched the fabric too much when sewing it, which is really easy to do with stretchy fabric. When it's washed, the fabric returns to its normal size and makes the zipper pucker.

You make a very good point about hoodies. I've never seen this as a problem.

Try washing your clothes at 30 degrees instead of 40. Look for a for a washing label inside the clothing, most clothes are recommended to wash at 30 degrees.

Your underwear, socks, towels and such you should wash at 40 or 60 degrees.

1 point6 months ago

I machine wash all mine and have no idea what these waves are. Mine work fine.

22 points6 months ago

Real hoodies don't have zippers...

haha don't tell me you actually consider this a thing?

3 points6 months ago

I came here to say hoodies don't have zippers. It's a thing.

So what do you call hoodies that do have zippers?

Poor life choices?

-1 points6 months ago

A zip up hoodie.

So still a hoodie?

0 points6 months ago

In the same way that a peanut butter M&M is still technically an M&M.

So, both technically and practically?

LPT: Zipper hoodies are wack!

I switched to pull over hoodies and I get so much tang now

Do some hoodies have zippers? I thought that the zipper made it a jacket?

Should hang dry all clothes. MUCH more economical

Hoodies don't have zippers.

Dammit, too late

LPT: Hang all your clothes to dry. Also if you do it just right you don't need to iron. Also the sun is a mild sanitiser, and makes laundry smell amazing

1 point6 months ago

Does this work for hoodies without zippers?

1 point6 months ago

we don't actually own a dryer but all my zipper hoodies still have that issue. The only way to fix it is by buying pre-shrunk clothes. The hoodie shrinking from the washing is what makes the waves not necessarily the dryer, however that I would assume makes that effect happen faster.

pro-er tip: dry on low

This will also help prevent the clothing from shrinking

Damned bacon zipper

How do you get rid of that rough, crinkly feeling though?

-33 points6 months ago(5 children)

What are you talking about? What if you're walking the dog? Doing some gardening? Relaxing? Working outside? Working with children (personal one for me obvs)? Like wearing a hoodie?

Lpt: hoodies without zippers exist

If I'm going to be taking it on and off all day (which i am) zips are way better. Also you can leave it open for the perfect temperature. Why are you anti-zip? Does the lack of zip make it more appropriate.

Why are you anti-zip?

r/malefashionadvice probably told him out to dress.

Talk shit post fit

-19 points6 months ago(0 children)

So there are no situations in which you would wear a hoodie? What do you wear when relaxing? As a person who literally said out loud "I will never own trackpants," I gave up that mode of thought very quickly. Life is now better'

-2 points6 months ago

I wear joggers and sweat pants and sweat shirts. Just a personal preference to not wear hoodies. I fucking hate hoodies, and would like it if it caught on

So the hood is the part you take offence to? Why?

4 points6 months ago

LPT: wear hoodies all the time because they're comfy and they look nice and casual

2 points6 months ago

Where do you come from that hoodies look "nice"? They look like you don't care about how you dress/were in a hurry.

It's an extremely(extreme emphasis on the extreme) casual piece of clothing. It's acceptable to use them if you're going to the gym, chilling at home or something like that, but that's about it.

2 points6 months ago

To make it a bit more easy to understand: i have an eyebrow piercing and I wear a snowboard jacket around. So you can imagine my style does not include a lot of dress shirts and thight jeans

1 point6 months ago

Fair enough.

Tips that improve your life in one way or another.

The redesign is terrible.

The redesign is horrible, don't use it. Go here:

Also go to your preferences and disable it entirely by clicking "Opt out of redesign"

What is a LifeProTip?

A Life Pro Tip (or LPT) is a concise and specific tip that improves life for you and those around you in a specific and significant way.

r/LifeProTips Rules
Do not submit troll, joke, or unnecessary tips
No tips that use a product or service as intended
No common sense tips or common courtesies
No tips about a social network or social media
Do not suggest illegal actions
NSFW content must be appropriate labeled
Do not submit tips on our Restricted Topic list
No slurs, racism, bigotry, or bad reddiquette
Posts must enhance life in a specific,tangible way
Disallowed Life Pro Tips

These types of tips are not allowed and will be removed.

• Common uses for products and services
  • Medical, Legal, Financial tips. We cannot verify the qualification of those making those tips. This includes practicing medicine, eye/vision, skin care, dental advice, diet/nutrition, and mental health. Medication tips. Law tips. Biomedical donations. Credit building tips.
  • Hygiene, personal grooming tips including make-up and hair.
  • Toilet-related tips.
  • Non-secular tips.
  • Tip lists or articles (Example: "Top ten tips you need to know!").
  • Parenting-related posts/tips.
  • Relationship posts/tips.
  • Troll or joke tips.
  • Commonly posted tips (Click here for an index of common LPTs)
  • Political posts/tips.
  • Driving related tips.
  • Sleep tips.

Note: Moderators will use their own discretion to remove any post that they believe is low-quality or not considered a life pro tip.

Banning Policy

Bans are given out immediately and serve as a warning. You may appeal this initial ban by messaging the moderators and agreeing not to break the rules again. Please acknowledge the rule you broke! Note: Bans will not be reversed if the post/comment in question has been deleted from your history.

A temporary ban can not be appealed, and will expire at the end of the allotted time.

Note: Homophobia, racism, harassment and general hate on ethnicity, sex, religion or anything else will result in a permanent ban that cannot be appealed. Tips that advocate/support illegal activities are also grounds for a permanent ban as well. Tips or comments that encourage behavior that can cause injury or harm to others will be cause for a ban. As the majority of LPT Mods are US Based, we will be using US laws to determine whether or not it's legal.

Thank you.

Click here to message the /r/LifeProTips modertors

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies.Learn More.