ArchivedComments are locked

[LPT] Don't stay at an air b nd b if they ask you to make your bed at the end of your stay. This means the bedding most likely only gets washed once a week or less.

[removed]

This thread has been locked by the moderators of r/LifeProTips
New comments cannot be posted
Sort by
Moderator of r/LifeProTips, speaking officiallyScore hidden · 6 months ago · Stickied comment

Hello tacomcr93, thank you for your submission! Unfortunately, your submission has been removed for the following reason(s):

• Not considered a LPT (a tip that improves life for you and those around you in a specific and significant way).

If you would like to appeal this decision please feel free to contact the moderators here. Do not repost without explicit permission from the moderators. Make sure you read the rules before submitting. Thank you!

This seems obvious, but it is probably best to avoid the ones that have a "host cancelled" notification in the reviews.

How they ever get another booking is beyond me. I saw one once that had the host cancelling 5 days before arrival. That should kill their listing.

You actually have no idea what it means. Maybe the host just likes the bed to be made, or it signals that the visitor has left to the maid service coming in to clean (and change the sheets).

If you perceived the sheets to be unclean when you arrived, then report that, but don't make up an LPT.

I'll leave a note or placard somewhere but I'll avoid a place that requires me to make the bed when I leave.

the real LPT is always in the comments

Yeah, but this ain't it

Yeah that's right! And the chicken is supposed to stink, the left shoe is bigger size on purpose, and the wife is having a girls' night out. You're friggin delusional

Do you fold your dirty clothes?

your arguments make no sense. Why would the maid service not know when the client left? Why would the host want the bed sheets made if they have to clean it after? You are living in a delusion

I like my beds to be left made because it’s way easier to find stains and other things when the sheets are flat on the bed. Not so they can be reused.

every time i stay at an airbnb, i make sure to take the sheets off the bed and fold them neatly for the host before leaving. takes less than 5 minutes and makes cleaning them a lot easier.

Instead of doing that, I toss them in the washer.

This. I’m currently at an Airbnb right now and the first thing we did when we arrived was to throw the sheets/pillow cases into the washer. It’s nice to know your sheets are washed and fresh.

Please don't do this. Hosts need to check the sheets for stains. If you've folded them up we need to unfold them and spread them out again. Just leave your beds unmade!

You should be washing them regardless.... the best time to check for stains is right before they go in the wash.

Oh god yes! I didn't mean to imply that I didn't wash the sheets. I boil wash all the sheets with bleach or optical whitener. But sometimes they need to be pre-treated. It's much easier to see those stains with the sheets spread out on the bed than crumpled in front of the washing machine.

Exactly what I do as well. You want to be able to see the stains and apply the oxyclean before the wash.

The one my family runs all of the bedding and towels get washed and the bathrooms and kitchens are all disinfected and cleaned. The only thing that doesn't get washed on a stay to stay basis is the comforters. Those get washed every week or two.

This is why the first thing I do when I stay at a rental house or Air B & B is to remove the comforter. If I'm renting a house for awhile (like a vacation house for a week) I actually bring my own blankets. I get that it's a pain in the butt to wash the comforter every time, but how do I know the person who rented before me didn't have sex on it or sit on it naked. You take the same risk on a couch in a rental, I know, but a comforter is close to my skin and face for 8 hours at a time. Maybe you should invest in a few comforters that can be rotated so that you don't have to wash it every time? Or do what hotels do where the comforter is wrapped in between sheets that can be washed easily? Just some suggestions!

You mean a duvet?

I only wash my bedding once a week, is that a really bad thing that I should stop immediately?

I t depends. Are there different people sleeping in your bed each night?

I wish

Original Poster9 points · 6 months ago

If you run an air b nd b then it is. You have different people there every night.

God, I must be really gross--I only wash my bedding once every month or so.

I think the concern here is that multiple people are using the same bedding (although admittedly I'm not sure what people are worried about).

You can get lice or crabs sharing sheets with strangers. Plus there's an ick factor for a lot of people because you're sleeping in someone else's sweet and shed skin cells.

Yep that's pretty gross.

I throw them in the washer and run them.

I have never heard of this before. And I've been in the lodging business for almost a decade now. Standard is to pull your sheets of and either stuff them them into the washer or collect all the bedrooms in one spot. Making a bed before leaving? A week? Those sheets get washed once a month maybe.

Tips that improve your life in one way or another.

The redesign is terrible.

The redesign is horrible, don't use it. Go here:

Also go to your preferences and disable it entirely by clicking "Opt out of redesign"

What is a LifeProTip?

A Life Pro Tip (or LPT) is a concise and specific tip that improves life for you and those around you in a specific and significant way.

r/LifeProTips Rules
Do not submit troll, joke, or unnecessary tips
No tips that use a product or service as intended
No common sense tips or common courtesies
No tips about a social network or social media
Do not suggest illegal actions
NSFW content must be appropriate labeled
Do not submit tips on our Restricted Topic list
No slurs, racism, bigotry, or bad reddiquette
Posts must enhance life in a specific,tangible way
Disallowed Life Pro Tips

These types of tips are not allowed and will be removed.

• Common uses for products and services
  • Medical, Legal, Financial tips. We cannot verify the qualification of those making those tips. This includes practicing medicine, eye/vision, skin care, dental advice, diet/nutrition, and mental health. Medication tips. Law tips. Biomedical donations. Credit building tips.
  • Hygiene, personal grooming tips including make-up and hair.
  • Toilet-related tips.
  • Non-secular tips.
  • Tip lists or articles (Example: "Top ten tips you need to know!").
  • Parenting-related posts/tips.
  • Relationship posts/tips.
  • Troll or joke tips.
  • Commonly posted tips (Click here for an index of common LPTs)
  • Political posts/tips.
  • Driving related tips.
  • Sleep tips.

Note: Moderators will use their own discretion to remove any post that they believe is low-quality or not considered a life pro tip.

Banning Policy

Bans are given out immediately and serve as a warning. You may appeal this initial ban by messaging the moderators and agreeing not to break the rules again. Please acknowledge the rule you broke! Note: Bans will not be reversed if the post/comment in question has been deleted from your history.

A temporary ban can not be appealed, and will expire at the end of the allotted time.

Note: Homophobia, racism, harassment and general hate on ethnicity, sex, religion or anything else will result in a permanent ban that cannot be appealed. Tips that advocate/support illegal activities are also grounds for a permanent ban as well. Tips or comments that encourage behavior that can cause injury or harm to others will be cause for a ban. As the majority of LPT Mods are US Based, we will be using US laws to determine whether or not it's legal.

Thank you.

Click here to message the /r/LifeProTips modertors