Reddit Feeds

Sign up and stay connected to your favorite communities.

Comments are locked

LPT: If you use earphones that have those little rubber earbuds, use different colours for your left and right ones.

Electronics

[removed]

This thread has been locked by the moderators of r/LifeProTips
New comments cannot be posted
Sort by
best (suggested)
Moderator of r/LifeProTips, speaking officiallyScore hidden·3 months ago·Stickied comment

Hello Kindredness, thank you for your submission! Unfortunately, your submission has been removed for the following reason(s):

• Not considered a LPT (a tip that improves life for you and those around you in a specific and significant way).

If you would like to appeal this decision please feel free to contact the moderators here. Do not repost without explicit permission from the moderators. Make sure you read the rules before submitting. Thank you!

I just look at the R and L on the ear buds....

Was bout to comment this lmao

Some of them actually don't have that. :/

2 points·3 months ago

That is not even close as fast as just glancing over the colors

Back before most headphones had in line controls I would tape a small piece of electrical tape around the bottom of an ear bud. This gave me quick visual cue and tactile in the dark.

Interesting. Mine have volume buttons, so I use those to tell the difference.

I did this. I use red for the right and rose for left.

Small dab of red nail polish on the backside of your right earbud. Little layer of clear coat to protect it.

If you don’t have an SO or child to pilfer from, red polish is worth having for other “indicator type” life hacks. A few of my firearms are polished up, if I didn’t like the sights or needed a clearer red dot safe/fire indicator.

Original Poster1 point·3 months ago

True LPT is in the comments! I didn't even think of painting them, that's quite clever, and I guess that would work for regular earbuds too!

I put several nicks in the plastic on the left bud so that running a fingernail over a bud indicates which one it is.

The controls are on the right because the majority of users are right handed.

Brilliant! I’ll just use one from the package and get the other color from my private stash of multi-colored ear-bud covers! ...but seriously, this is actually a good idea

I don't game and have never worried about left and right. Can anyone give me a good reason why I should?

Only comfort I guess.

My earphones just have a little plastic notch on the left side.I can tell which one is which even in the dark.

Mine just have a gentle curvature to the rear so it's hella easy to tell them apart.

Or just don’t take them out of your ears.

Where do you even get different colors from? Aren't the different colors a different compound therefore one softer than the other?

Original Poster1 point·3 months ago

When I get new earphones, I alternate between buying black and white ones, and then I save them up. :) Sometimes they're slightly different material but I've never found that much of a problem myself.

Huh.. This new earphones thing. I bought a pair of cx275s four years ago maybe and they're still going strong. So maybe that's the reason why i don't have any spare parts laying around. Also their design makes it easy to feel which one is left and right

I tied a knot on the left wire

Original Poster2 points·3 months ago

I wouldn't recommend this, as it damages the wires, and the earphones will stop functioning more quickly.

Meh

I tied a knot on the left one. Colors are no good at night

Original Poster0 points·3 months ago

While that's true, I wouldn't recommend tying wires into knots, as it damages them, and the earphones will stop functioning more quickly.

I just wear them however their comfortable

Tips that improve your life in one way or another.

r/LifeProTips Rules

Do not submit troll, joke, or unnecessary tips
No tips that use a product or service as intended
No common sense tips or common courtesies
No tips about a social network or social media
Do not suggest illegal actions
NSFW content must be appropriate labeled
Do not submit tips on our Restricted Topic list
No slurs, racism, bigotry, or bad reddiquette
Posts must enhance life in a specific,tangible way