LPT: if you hate the new look of this site, click on the address bar and replace 'www' with 'old'.

When I first logged on this morning, I was given the choice of 'old' or 'new' Reddit. 'New' bugs me, but the option seems to have disappeared. Luckily I noticed the URL change.

Sort by
5 points · 22 days ago

There is an extension on Chrome that does this for you! So handy!

There's a setting in reddit itself which disables it... No need for an extension

As someone who is too lazy to sort out my subscription sometimes I don't log in. So really it's down to my laziness.

There is. For example, say you clear your history of last hour or something in your browser. Then this setting will be lost, because the cookies were removed.

Or just go to your preferences and turn off the new ui...

3 points · 22 days ago

Unpopular opinion, I love new. More user friendly. Only thing I don't like is it doesn't use markdown automatically (and since I use Discord and Rebbit mobile, it sucks). I know you can change it back but it's so sleek.

Original Poster3 points · 22 days ago

To each their own. I find myself wondering how hard it is to write a browser extension to automate the URL change. Might be time to learn a new skill.

1 point · 22 days ago

Isn't there a setting where you can default back to the old one? Or did they remove that.

Original Poster1 point · 22 days ago · edited 21 days ago

If there is a setting, I can 't find it. Maybe the fine folks at RES will add that as an option.

[edit] FOUND IT! Now all I have is a bright red 'VISIT NEW REDDIT button where my Subreddit list is supposed to be.

It's just me or I clicked once on "take me to the old site" or something and never saw the new one again? Unless I'm using a new device that my account isn't connected to...

Original Poster1 point · 22 days ago

Every time I close the tab, it resets.

<grumble>

Oh, as mentioned above, it might be in the cookies of you browser, so if you set your browser to delete them, it might do what you're getting.

You could probably use something like this (usable in lots of ways): https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/redirector/ocgpenflpmgnfapjedencafcfakcekcd?hl=en

If you only want that for reddit specifically: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/old-reddit-redirect/dneaehbmnbhcippjikoajpoabadpodje

Not that hard. I used to learn programming and it's relatively easy to do that (I mean automating the URL change).

I agree with you. I actually changed the setting so everything is full width (it looks like old reddit, called "classic" view) and it looks great on my high resolution screen. With the modal pop up implementation I barely have to use tabbed browsing either.

I'm just tired of seeing this every single day

Tips that improve your life in one way or another.

The redesign is terrible.

The redesign is horrible, don't use it. Go here:

Also go to your preferences and disable it entirely by clicking "Opt out of redesign"

What is a LifeProTip?

A Life Pro Tip (or LPT) is a concise and specific tip that improves life for you and those around you in a specific and significant way.

r/LifeProTips Rules
Do not submit troll, joke, or unnecessary tips
No tips that use a product or service as intended
No common sense tips or common courtesies
No tips about a social network or social media
Do not suggest illegal actions
NSFW content must be appropriate labeled
Do not submit tips on our Restricted Topic list
No slurs, racism, bigotry, or bad reddiquette
Posts must enhance life in a specific,tangible way
Disallowed Life Pro Tips

These types of tips are not allowed and will be removed.

• Common uses for products and services
  • Medical, Legal, Financial tips. We cannot verify the qualification of those making those tips. This includes practicing medicine, eye/vision, skin care, dental advice, diet/nutrition, and mental health. Medication tips. Law tips. Biomedical donations. Credit building tips.
  • Hygiene, personal grooming tips including make-up and hair.
  • Toilet-related tips.
  • Non-secular tips.
  • Tip lists or articles (Example: "Top ten tips you need to know!").
  • Parenting-related posts/tips.
  • Relationship posts/tips.
  • Troll or joke tips.
  • Commonly posted tips (Click here for an index of common LPTs)
  • Political posts/tips.
  • Driving related tips.
  • Sleep tips.

Note: Moderators will use their own discretion to remove any post that they believe is low-quality or not considered a life pro tip.

Banning Policy

Bans are given out immediately and serve as a warning. You may appeal this initial ban by messaging the moderators and agreeing not to break the rules again. Please acknowledge the rule you broke! Note: Bans will not be reversed if the post/comment in question has been deleted from your history.

A temporary ban can not be appealed, and will expire at the end of the allotted time.

Note: Homophobia, racism, harassment and general hate on ethnicity, sex, religion or anything else will result in a permanent ban that cannot be appealed. Tips that advocate/support illegal activities are also grounds for a permanent ban as well. Tips or comments that encourage behavior that can cause injury or harm to others will be cause for a ban. As the majority of LPT Mods are US Based, we will be using US laws to determine whether or not it's legal.

Thank you.

Click here to message the /r/LifeProTips modertors