LPT: take an extra 30-45 minutes to get ready for work. You will feel more confident and people will take you serious.

The best advice I ever received from a boss was, "people will take you more serious if you look the part."

I used to roll out of bed and rush into work every day. I thought I looked fine, but it wasn't my best. Luckily, I had a boss who cared enough to say something, so I took the advice as helpful and decided to try it.

It was a slow process, but I eventually started caring about my appearance and entered top management within 2 years.

I credit this advice to much of my success over the past 10 years, and I actual enjoy spending 30-45 min getting ready each day. My SO certainly appreciates it, and people really do treat you with more respect the better you look.

Hoping this advice can help someone as much as it did me.

Sort by
11 points · 22 days ago

I get this in a professional setting.

I work in a big industrial place with coveralls and a bunch of safety gear. When I was young I had really long hair and big beard when they weren't popular, bit of a wild looking kid. My supervisor hinted I should look more professional.

But I found my interactions with others (especially management) seemed to start with them assuming what I would be like, and shortly into a discussion their demeanor made a flip, but I believe I'm well spoken and I had a pretty strong understanding of our processes. I felt the judgement reversal made a small bond that carried into the future.

Original Poster1 point · 22 days ago

Great counter point! And kudos for maintaining your own style in the work place.

I've also seen this judgement reversal with good employees who have tattoos / rough appearance and even sexual orientation / race.

A good employee is a good employee.

4 points · 22 days ago

Yes, but unfortunately appearance is too large of a piece.

I have a 14 month old. You’d better believe if I have an extra 45 minutes in the morning I’m going to sleep more. That will make me a far better employee than slapping on some mascara.

Original Poster2 points · 22 days ago

You made me lol. Nice

I agree. The guy who walks in last minute with a tie hanging off his shoulders looks far less professional than the one 10 minutes early and dressed for work. If you’re an hourly employee, and your employer allows you to clock in early, those minutes add up. If you’re a salary employee, your boss may allow you to leave early, take a long lunch, etc.

Original Poster5 points · 22 days ago

And even if no one ever says anything, your bosses, colleagues, and customers DO notice the difference.

Every job is different but this LPT is unfortunately very true. At my last job I always dressed for the position I wanted and was promoted very quickly and over the seasoned employees. I feel that also helped land my current job. It’s definitely a plus when you’re mistaken for the big boss. Also I’ve noticed I get treated differently when I stop by the gas station/bank/store in my chillin clothes vs. all dressed and on my way to work.

Original Poster2 points · 22 days ago

Exactly! Other managers say I'll be their GM one day, and I know it will happen eventually. Dressing sharp pushed me to care more about the job and drive positive results.

Like you pointed out, it's fun to dress down and notice the difference when you're out

That’s so true. I love dressing down/differently and notice how people act. Hahahaha keep dressing sharp and you’ll be laughing at the top.

In Germany there is a good saying that might apply here very well: "Kleider machen Leute" - "clothing makes people"

Well said, i will remember this through out.

I never do this...Im kinda the opposite. My friend from work even told me i have a sloppy style. I do well at my job, and they couldnt care less how i look as long as i perform.

Comment deleted22 days ago(0 children)
3 points · 22 days ago

The point is getting up earlier to get ready...not taking your sweet ass time to get ready and show up late. Have the mind set that you want to accomplish 50% of your day by 10am.

Have the mind set that you want to accomplish 50% of your day by 10am.

That is highly dependent on what you do. For example, my husband's current job relies on slow and consistent work. If he fucks up, that's a day of production lost, which means his team stays until it's fixed. They're pretty flexible on lateness though, with the understanding that somebody else HAS to stay and cover.

What is his job?

Mixes plastics and does quality control and supervision for a manufacturing plant. They're on mandatory overtime everyday basically until they tap out, so exhaustion and oversleeping happen sometimes.

Tips that improve your life in one way or another.

The redesign is terrible.

The redesign is horrible, don't use it. Go here:

Also go to your preferences and disable it entirely by clicking "Opt out of redesign"

What is a LifeProTip?

A Life Pro Tip (or LPT) is a concise and specific tip that improves life for you and those around you in a specific and significant way.

r/LifeProTips Rules
Do not submit troll, joke, or unnecessary tips
No tips that use a product or service as intended
No common sense tips or common courtesies
No tips about a social network or social media
Do not suggest illegal actions
NSFW content must be appropriate labeled
Do not submit tips on our Restricted Topic list
No slurs, racism, bigotry, or bad reddiquette
Posts must enhance life in a specific,tangible way
Disallowed Life Pro Tips

These types of tips are not allowed and will be removed.

• Common uses for products and services
  • Medical, Legal, Financial tips. We cannot verify the qualification of those making those tips. This includes practicing medicine, eye/vision, skin care, dental advice, diet/nutrition, and mental health. Medication tips. Law tips. Biomedical donations. Credit building tips.
  • Hygiene, personal grooming tips including make-up and hair.
  • Toilet-related tips.
  • Non-secular tips.
  • Tip lists or articles (Example: "Top ten tips you need to know!").
  • Parenting-related posts/tips.
  • Relationship posts/tips.
  • Troll or joke tips.
  • Commonly posted tips (Click here for an index of common LPTs)
  • Political posts/tips.
  • Driving related tips.
  • Sleep tips.

Note: Moderators will use their own discretion to remove any post that they believe is low-quality or not considered a life pro tip.

Banning Policy

Bans are given out immediately and serve as a warning. You may appeal this initial ban by messaging the moderators and agreeing not to break the rules again. Please acknowledge the rule you broke! Note: Bans will not be reversed if the post/comment in question has been deleted from your history.

A temporary ban can not be appealed, and will expire at the end of the allotted time.

Note: Homophobia, racism, harassment and general hate on ethnicity, sex, religion or anything else will result in a permanent ban that cannot be appealed. Tips that advocate/support illegal activities are also grounds for a permanent ban as well. Tips or comments that encourage behavior that can cause injury or harm to others will be cause for a ban. As the majority of LPT Mods are US Based, we will be using US laws to determine whether or not it's legal.

Thank you.

Click here to message the /r/LifeProTips modertors