Sabercats Paul Mullen joins Newcastle until January

4 points · 1 month ago

Love the short contract. Gives him a chance to catch on, earn match time and sign a longer contract. But if not, he can return to MLR and get plenty of action in preparation for the World Cup. Would like to see a few more get contracts like this such as Dolan.

Original Poster3 points · 1 month ago

You probably will see a few go to England and France as medical jokers (I.e place fillers for injured players) once the season starts. If those guys go over and perform well I think it then shows the quality of MLR and might attract new audiences.

2 points · 1 month ago

Interesting. I thought he had a pretty good engineering job?

Our front 5 has to be the best we have ever had in terms of experience at euro/SR rugby in the history of professional rugby in the world.

I believe he just got his master's degree. This contract is also just for 4 months (but could be extended) so I wouldn't be surprised to see him back here in Houston by the start of the season.

Hookers or nothing
3 points · 1 month ago

He just graduated with his Master's degree in May. To my knowledge this wasn't the only dog sniffing around the chicken coop.

I think he will perform well and earn a longer contract. If not he's back for the ARC and will provide the anchor for the SaberCats all season.

very clever deal

Glendale Raptors
1 point · 1 month ago

Are there transfer fees? Do the SaberCats profit financially off of this? I suppose I've the same question for the others who have been offered contracts overseas. Are the MLR franchises being compensated at all?

Mullen is signed for a few months unlike Lasike for 2 years. What imports is their availability for the Eagles games and prep times.

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

Transfer fees are a rarity in rugby so I highly doubt it. If Mullen ends up coming back to Houston then it would have given him some exposure to a higher standard of training and performance which will make him a better player and he’ll be able to pass that on to team mates. From the sounds of it Mullen will actually be back in MLR next season while I doubt Lasike, Campbell and Landry will be.

Hookers or nothing
2 points · 1 month ago

At some point there will be. But the FT contracts aren't a lot, so the transfer fee wouldn't be much. So whatever they are, they're probably waived.

Good on im

Unofficial home to fans, friends, and the faithful followers of Major League Rugby in the United States.

r/MLRugby Rules
Don’t be a jerk
No personal attacks or insults
No racist, sexist or homophobic comments
No puppet/shadow accounts