Archived

We are Anti-Flag on the “Silence=Violence" U.S. Tour - Ask Us Anything!

Hello! We are Anti-Flag, a punk rock band from Pittsburgh, PA. We believe in using our art to challenge war, nationalism, and the normalization of bigotry. Our new album 'American Fall' is out now, and we are hitting the road with Stray From The Path, The White Noise, and Sharptooth on the SILENCE=VIOLENCE tour starting Tuesday, January 16th. Tour dates and info at anti-flag.com.
Ask us anything. Proof

Sort by
Original Poster14 points · 6 months ago

This was a good time. Thank you all for your kindness, energy, and thanks for the questions!

We hit the road on Tuesday (god willing, and the creek don't rise), we look forward to sharing stories of empathy, fighting for social and economic justice, and standing up to racists - especially the ones currently in power in the U.S. - with you all at each show.

check out Love, Hope, Stength... A Voice For The Innocent (who we will have some killer collaborations with at the shows)... Peta2... Amnesty International.

we will also have others tabling from local organizations at each show.

check out: Stray From The Path, The White Noise, and Sharptooth.

BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER.

Don't Fight It. Feel It.

Anti-Flag

Hey dudes. I've been listening to you guys for over 16 years now. You got me into politics, taught me to stand up for what I believe in, and to not care what people think of me. You guys helped me through a lot. So thanks!

My question for you guys is, with everything going on in the world between natural disasters, politics, and all the stuff in Hollywood right now, where do you find your silver linings? How do you find your hope? And what do you do to spread it (besides your awesome music, of course!)?

Edit: I hope you guys can make it to Las Vegas soon! You don't come here often enough.

Original Poster35 points · 6 months ago

When I read a message from you that you've been listening to our music for over 16 years and it influenced you in a positive way, THAT is a big part of where I fend my silver lining! So thank you!!!

When we go on tour we meet so many amazing people like you and that's where I realize that no matter how ugly things get in the world that I'm not alone. I want to leave the world better than I found it. You clearly do too. And trust me, there are so many others like us on this planet.

For me, I found hope by going to punk shows- and I still do. That's where I realized that there are people who are fighting the good fight. That's where I get inspiration and hope. I’m excited to to have A Voice For The Innocent, peta2, Love Hope Strength, Amnesty International USA, J20 http://defendj20resistance.org as part of the voice of our up coming tour. As the White House makes every effort to pull our society backward, these organizations offer unity, vision, progress and hope. To me punk rock has always been about more than just a haircut or record. It is about working to make the world better than you found it. These organizations do just that and for that reason I’m excited to offer them a platform to bring their message and work to our audience.

All of that said, don't lose heart and never give up. People like Trump want you to give up so that they can walk all over you. Fuck that! We just have to keep our heads up and keep lifting eachother up! I know you got my back and I got your back!!!!!
--- Justin Sane

"To me punk rock has always been about more than just a haircut or record. It is about working to make the world better than you found it. "

I second this. As long as people build strong communities like this, the world is not lost.

1 more reply

“When we go on tour we meet so many amazing people like you and that's where I realize that no matter how ugly things get in the world that I'm not alone. I want to leave the world better than I found it.”

I love and respect you all so much. Always have, always will.

Thank you so much for such an insightful response!! Sometimes it's hard to keep going, to find that silver lining, but I know that once we stop or let up, that's when it'll all really go to crap.

This is what I need in my life. I'm stuck in a country with absolutely zero punk scene - heck barely even a music scene. I'm only here for a year more, than I'm getting the hell out and spending all my cash on shows.

What will the setlist look like for this tour? Any chance for songs like this is the new sound?

Original Poster41 points · 6 months ago

ALL THE HITS!!! Which is EVERY SONG!!! You're welcome! Hah!!!

Definitely gonna play the staple songs from most records. Personally, I'm a big fan of our new record so I want to fit a lot of new songs into the set. SO far I'm really enjoying practicing The Criminals and Wall Falls. I'm really enjoying playing American Attraction live.

I'm thinking we need to add Depleted Uranium Is A War Crime into the set. ANyone else agree? ---Justin Sane

Original Poster17 points · 6 months ago

shittttttt... 6 people aint gonna convice me to do shit.

-mitch hedberg -#2

If I heard Depleted Uranium on your Detroit stop that would be amazing! That song convinced me to write a research paper on the substance my freshman year and it's surprising how few people know what it is and its effects.

1 more reply

oh man i'd definitely love to see depleted uranium live

Fuck yea Depleted Uranium is an amazing song!!

Yeah, this idea is amazing! What about You're Fired?

That song would work so well with a mix of the hit and 'American Fall'!!!!

Depleted uranium and fuck the flag are my favorite songs! So punkrock!

Could you do a shoutout to some less known punk bands that deserve recognition?

Original Poster34 points · 6 months ago

homeless gospel choir nightmarathons day jobs lawncare soul glo ryan harvey spanish love songs swiss army tarakany! (not new, but maybe new to you!) sincere engineer

Thats a long name

Dope seeing a Ryan Harvey mention. Saw him as Bluebird Midwest a few years back, and also saw him way before that open up a Frank Turner basement show in 2010 as Dandelion Snow! He’s unbelievably talented.

1 more reply

Thanks dude!

In the summer of 1997 my friend Scott and i walked to Best Buy and found "Die For the Government ". We were sophomores in high school. Totally random but the album cover just stood out. We brought it back jammed it out and now 20 years later i still love Anti-Flag

Original Poster20 points · 6 months ago

Haha!!! Love this!!!! Thanks!!!

The song Die For The Government is an anti war song primarily about the way politicians use and spit out good young men and women for corporate profit. Anti-Flag was founded in spirit as an anti-war band with that message at our core. ---Justin Sane

No question just wanted to thank you for consistently putting out amazing music.

Chris #2 if you get up to the interior of British Columbia in the winter let’s hit the ice.

Original Poster17 points · 6 months ago

can not wait.

we hope to visit canada soon I hope to visit all of your rinks and vegan poutine.

Hey #2, I met you and the rest of the band like 5 years ago in the UK when you did those two nights back to back in that tiny pub, first four albums first night, second four second night. Thanks for getting me into punk, thanks for still having an important voice.

I heard you on the Lead Singer Syndrome this week and you were talking about how the UK punk scene is radically different to the US (ran into Julien Baker a while ago and she said the same thing) and how you had always found it tougher over here. As someone who's been here my entire life and hasn't had the opportunity to experience the scenes of most other countries, what's the UK lacking in comparison to other scenes, and is there a way we can build better links with the international punk community? It's something that's been weighing on my mind a lot because of Brexit. URGH.

You guys were great with Reel Big Fish. Hope to catch you again soon.

Original Poster11 points · 6 months ago

I think the scenes themselves are not so vastly different. the differences I see are how people get involved and find them. the press driven culture around punk rock and less than mainstream music in the UK is something we dont understand very well.

that said, when you put people in the rooms, have the show, connect on real and personal levels... we are all very much the same.

Thanks. That's good to hear. Everything being press driven in the UK is really draining. I've started a new band and it's difficult to try to find the right audiences because of a lack of exposure. But we'll struggle on regardless. Good luck with 2018

Chris 2, be honest: Do you have some mod on your phone that likes every single #antiflag post on Instagram or are you just on on Insta a LOT? I swear you like my Anti-Flag related pics like seconds after I upload them! My girlfriend is in love with your pug by the way. She really wants to get a pug too now just because of Judy.

Original Poster14 points · 6 months ago

its all me baby!

I am notoriously fast on the gram. I love it.

in all honesty, I just like to show support back to folks who are supporting us. its all out of love my friend! -2

p.s. judy is the best.

Hey gang... I'm a huge Anti Flag fan. How do you find the will to stay active both politically and socially in regards to our current administration? I find myself engaging in politics and social causes more since Trump was elected president but I also find it daunting. Is there any advice you could give to help people who are becoming disenchanted with the current state of the US and the World?

Original Poster9 points · 6 months ago

We are all go through cycles engagement and disengagement. In the band we are very lucky because when one of us needs a break the others have the anger and passion to step up. But in the broader activist community I think it works the same way when some people need a break others step up and push the cause forward.

What's your normal response to people who discredit you for blending politics and art? Huge fan!

Original Poster14 points · 6 months ago

I'm a person who has never wanted to be put in a box. I got into punk because I saw it as a community that encouraged me to be me - to say and do what I believe in. As a result Anti-Flag has always made music and art which we believe in. We stand by the statements we have made and the music we have created. At the end of the day we hope it is meaningful to others. We can't make decisions or create music based on how others might judge us. That would keep us from being true to ourselves and that is totally counter to the reason I got involved with this band. ---Justin Sane

and that is why i'll never fail to support you, your band or your message. thanks for fighting the right fight.

This one is for #2 i'm always impressed when i watch videos of anti flag playing live. Your fast play and the licks and scales you add to some songs live are super good, how do you like the action on bass? Low for easier fast play? Also what do you think is the most important thing for a bassist to know from a theorical perspective? Much love from Monterrey, México and hoping you'll come here soon for the 1st time ever!

Original Poster14 points · 6 months ago

Yo! honestly, live I keep my action pretty low... in the studio I keep it just high enough to not buzz. I dont know theory at all, I wish I did however, and often think I am gonna try to learn. that said, the best bassists/musicians I know used their limitations to create new and interesting sounds. hope to see yall in Mexico soon!

10 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

So you guys have set an unrecorded Woodie Guthrie song to music, written a song about Joe Hill, semi-covered Phil Ochs (is that a fair way to describe When The Wall Falls?), and toured with Evan Greer. How would you characterize the relationship between punk and folk music?

Original Poster19 points · 6 months ago

I believe that all music is born from some form of protest / reaction to injustice... even the songs that are presumably just love songs. I find huge inspiration from folk music and think its lineage to punk rock is obvious. 3 chords and the truth... now that we are 10 records in to Anti-Flag, I like to think we've graduated to 4... but are still searching for the truth with them.

Hey! I’m a big fan of you since a long time ago! I just wondering one thing. You preach about ”No plattform for facism”. I tottally agree of because ideology here. But here in Sweden we have tried to silent the alt right, but the right wing parties just getting bigger and bigger. Don’t you think that free speach could be important afterall? Shouldn’t we convince them that the alt right sucks instead? Many people are tired of just hearing racist over and over, and then they want to rebell against that.

Your’e nice guys and i love that you sing about more important issues than money and hoes :)

Original Poster9 points · 6 months ago

This is the million dollar question, do you disempower the alt right/fascism by denying it a voice or by allowing the stupidity of the belief to be its downfall.

I personally believe in the intelligence of people to make the right decisions so allowing fascist to speak their hate only makes them seem backwards, and out of touch with reality, and therefore less appealing to the general public, but there is not a clear answer to this question. Even within the band we have had many discussions about this topic. There may not be a clear answer, but as long as we all hold the goal to eradicate these backwards beliefs, we will find the tactics that work best in each specific situation and put these beliefs back in the dust bin of history where they belong. -Pat

Are there times where you're so exhausted from the fight? I'm sure there are. As a history major, there are times where I have to take breaks and cry. What do you guys do for self care when it's too much?

Also, did ya'll see The Last Jedi???? Yay or Nay?

(please tour with Frank Waln lol My dream tour!!!)

Love you guys!!!

Original Poster13 points · 6 months ago

yes... often. however we are in this very fortunate situation where we get to take these ideas on the road, across the globe, meet so many kind people fighting cynicism and spreading empathy... that is an unmatched shot of optimism. we are well aware that most that are fighting for social and economic justice do not receive this boost of energy, we are lucky. thats why we try to incorporate organizations like "love hope strength", "a voice for the innocent", "peta2", "amnesty international", etc. into the tours we do. allow those in grass roots political organizations the same celebration of community and respect that we see on a nightly basis.

last jedi fucking ruled... if you didnt enjoy it you are a curmudgeon.

not sure who Frank Waln is, will check it out!

Original Poster13 points · 6 months ago

when things suck i play music with my friends and bang the shit out of stuff

Any chance you'll come to the east coast of Canada soon? We'd love to have you!

Original Poster13 points · 6 months ago

we are trying to put together a Canadian tour keep your head up and you might see some info soon. -Pat

Greetings from Germany!

How is it that you are playing here so often? For most bands from America we have to wait for years to see them live, but you play in Germany almost every year. I mean, it's great. I love you guys and I'm really looking forward to seeing you at the Ruhrpott Rodeo. Just wondering if there is something that you like about playing here.

Original Poster6 points · 6 months ago

the german punk rock scene is perhaps the greatest one we have ever interacted with. there is something about the culture that puts a focus on political art, but also progressive and humanitarian ideals. that is just good for our soul, we love the energy we get from the kind people of germany.

see you at the rodeo! -2

Been listening to you guys since 2005. Huge fan and so is my brother, Ramon. He got to be on stage with you guys in SoCal a few years back. I hope you all are doing well.

Anyway, what is your favorite song to perform and why?

Much love!

Original Poster4 points · 6 months ago

Thanks so much!!! I love playing live!!! It is one of my favorite things to do in life because I love to play music and I love the interactions we have with the audience!!! (Big hug to Ramon!)

I love to play Turncoat because it is a song with a structure that feels seamless and fluid. I also love Brandenburg Gate: the leads are fun to play and live the chorus feels like it is radiating unity by all!!! And of course, you can't beat a drum set in the crowd! Hah!!! ---Justin Sane

Thank you, Justin! Hopefully I will get to see you soon when you’re in Seattle this month. Fingers crossed!

Original Poster9 points · 6 months ago

I like to play the ones that are hard and fast!!!! "the first one to the end of the song wins" -pat

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question, Pat!

Original Poster9 points · 6 months ago

TOP 5: When The Wall Falls. Brandenburg Gate. Die For The Government. Press Corpse. War Sucks, Lets Party! -2

Thank you as well!! :)

Hey guys, long time fan. Just wanted to ask, if you could give any kind of advice/words of wisdom to up and coming musicans (like myself), what would it be?

side note Can't wait to celebrate my birthday by seeing you guys at OC Observatory in a couple weeks!

Original Poster6 points · 6 months ago

play because you love it. not because you want to make $ or generate any amount of fame. write songs you believe in, perform them honestly, people will be attracted to that belief and honesty.

sweet birthday party we are throwin ya! -2

1 more reply

After going to shows for nearly 20 years I finally got a chance to see you guys at Roboto Project for AntiFest, I was just as excited to see The Code. The weird thing is that I keep seeing guys from the band around Pittsburgh in everyday situations. Like the time I was running The Great Race and there's Chris #2 walking his dog, or my wife and I were at Skinny Lister and Justin was there or at Handmade Arcade when we were on our way to the CWP booth and there's Chris #2 talking to Shannon. Is it cool if the next time I see anybody I just give yinz a high five?

Original Poster7 points · 6 months ago

hello!

please just say Hi! first, then once pleasantries are exchanged, we high five... random high fives at the grocery store worry me. thank you! -2

Sounds like a plan.

how did you guys choose the supporting bands for this tour/past tours? (they're all super great and i'm super stoked to see you all on the san diego date!!

Original Poster8 points · 6 months ago

friendship knows no bounds and usurps musical genres!!! thats how!

we met stray in passing, they were great humans, we met white noise on warped this summer and also met sharptooth there when their tour dates collided with warped. they were all just awesome and optimistic and cared more about others than themselves... thats all it took!

see you in San Diego! -2

Any tips for punk bass?

Original Poster9 points · 6 months ago

play every day. I think you have to commit yourself to an hour a day. just play often, learn songs from punk bands you love, use your instrument to spread empathy and be yourself while doing so.... I promise youll be a good human, and therefore, fantastic punk bassist.

Can you guys give a little more info about this Hockey Bar?

I'm probably moving to the 412 in the next month and I like to know what's the happenings.

Original Poster7 points · 6 months ago

hockey only. hockey themed drinks, snacks, original hockey viedo games, games from leagues all around the world, etc.

right now we are using the site launch to sell shirts, raise awareness, and get our ducks in a row. we are working on our own beer, our own coffee, different things we can use to promote our love of the game and our hope to create a space that is open to everyone, just, kind, and a celebration of all things hockey.

www.TheHockeyBar.com for more! thanks friend!

1 point · 6 months ago

That sounds really good! Respect! Hopefully it is going to work out for you.

If you had to sum up your career in one word, what would you choose?

Original Poster13 points · 6 months ago

I never thought it was a career its more of an addiction. -Pat

Original Poster4 points · 6 months ago

Exhausting. ---Justin

Original Poster4 points · 6 months ago

long.

I don't really have a question but have been listening to you guys since 1998 when my buddy gave me a copy of Die for the Government and its what got me hooked on punk music. I just wanted to say thank for all the killer tunes. Your music has definitely changed my views for the positive. Thanks again and keep fuckin rockin.

Original Poster4 points · 6 months ago

much love, much respect! -2

If you could ask your fans anything what would you ask?

Original Poster10 points · 6 months ago

hi, this is #2... just asking you why you call yourselves "fans"?

we call ya friends... lets stick with that moving forward. cool? cool.

I remember Green Day leading the Anti-Bush crusade back in 2004. Do you guys intend to lead a similar call to action against Donald Trump at all? (By the way, I'm not a fan of George W. Bush or Donnie Boy, just to clarify.)

Original Poster9 points · 6 months ago

No artists lead change, but we will all be there to stand against the con man, racist who is currently in power

Hi guys, huge fan of all your records and loved every single one of your countless concerts I got to witness here in Germany. Thanks for showing me the way.

How do you feel looking back on your record "The Bright Lights of America"? I feel it's your most underrated record. I feel so many people didn't like it when it first came out but I honestly think it's one of your best - it just feels so different from your other records, you can see there was a special kind of ambition behind it. Am I right with that assumption? How do you feel about that record now?

I also love American Fall, it's your catchiest record since Blood and Empire. I can't wait to see you guys again when you're coming vack back to Germany!

(Also: any chance we ever get to hear Toast to Freedom when you're performing with the Donots again? That song is fucking perfect.)

Original Poster5 points · 6 months ago

I think we all feel a little different about Bright Lights, I love it... I wish the songs werent so so so so damn long, that we reigned ourselves in a little bit in that respect. but it has some of my favorite moments on it. I actually think it was my favorite recording session we've ever done. we played some many cool instruments and pushed ourselves so hard. we were in the woods in lexington kentucky, it was unlike any other record weve ever made.

thanks for the kind words on American Fall, I actually agree and think its our best record and akin to Terror State and FBAE.

we've only played toast to freedom once I think, but Im down to try again!

You can definitely hear that you guys were pushing yourselves to new sonic soundscapes! The songs really are unusually song, but e.g. I LOVE how Spit in the Face doesn't seem to end because I never want that song to end. Also, Vices and If You Want to Steal have some of your best lyrics ever, Chris.

Original Poster4 points · 6 months ago

DANKE!!!! Your words mean so much to me!

As I mentioned earlier, I got into punk because I didn't want to be put into a box. I wanted to be free to take chances and create whatever I was feeling. I feel we took chances on Bright Lights that were far past anything we had every tried. We pushed ourselves really hard and for that I'm really proud of that record and it is one of my favorites!!!

Glad to hear you like American Fall and For Blood... Add Terror State to that and you have my 4 favorite Anti-Flag records!

Not sure when we will rock with the Do Nots again but I hope it is SOON!!!!! ---Justin

Dude I'm so glad to hear that Bright Lights is one of your favorites too! Go West is one of your best songs ever, Justin. It's such an unusual sound for A-F but the lyrics bring tears to my eyes. Whenever I feel lost in life, I listen to that song. "Go west young man, your future is untold." Anti-Flag for life.

Will Chris ever play hockey with me in Austria?? :) You are honestly invited to my female hockey team if you guys are in Tyrol!! :p

Original Poster4 points · 6 months ago

yes! I would love that! if we are close please hit me up! -2

I promise, I will!!! :) thank you all for being an inspiration since so many years!!

Kind of a biased question but: What's your favorite German punk band? I love the music scene here and you've played with so many of my favorites that I really wonder which one you like the most.

Original Poster4 points · 6 months ago

DIE TOTEN HOSEN!!!! I can't think of many bands that could rival their live show and they have written some amazing songs!!!! Too hard to refuse the power of this band!!! ---Justin Sane

Agreed, the Hosen are amazing! Just saw them last month and their energy is awe inspiring, especially at their age. Someone once said they're the best unknown band in the world. If they sung in English they would be world-famous!

Thank you for existing and championing feminism in a predominantly male scene. I’ve been a fan for 13 years. Die For Your Government was the ringtone on my little pink flip phone.

Original Poster6 points · 6 months ago

its a common misconception that you have to be female to be a feminist!!! -Pat

Hey guys, I just want to say that you are one of my favorite bands, and one of the main reasons I have taken such an interest in politics. Do you have any interests in touring with other popular punk bands, such as Green Day or The Offspring? And if so, would you plan to come to the New England area?

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to do this AMA!

Original Poster4 points · 6 months ago

We love touring with any bands that 1st are not assholes and 2nd have something interesting to say!!! we will see you in the New England area soon!!!

Any plans for German club shows? I miss you!

Original Poster5 points · 6 months ago

the thing about patience is... you can never have too much of it.

we will see you soon, promise. -2

Awesome and thanks answering!

2 more replies

Hey Chris, I wanted to say congrats on the Penguins winning the cup. I still remember the five minute conversation we spent talking about hockey. For me, it was one of last year's best moments.

I'll make my question involve hockey. If you could play in a line with two other people, living or dead, who would it be?

Original Poster6 points · 6 months ago

holy...shit... this is tough!

3 scenarios

I play left wing, mario centers, federov plays right wing. ovechkin plays left wing, malkin centers, I play right wing I play left wing, sid centers, jagr plays right (any aged jagr...please)

We love you guys in Chicago.

Original Poster6 points · 6 months ago

I love Chicago and the Chicago Dinner!!! -Pat

Original Poster3 points · 6 months ago

we will be there next week! hope to see you at the show!

pat, I"ll see you at the chicago diner as well. -2

Original Poster3 points · 6 months ago

if you see me there i'm buying!!! -Pat

Have you felt like you've lost Underground Network as a setlist option in the era of "fake news" accusations?

Original Poster6 points · 6 months ago

no. I think that song, for me anyways, is a predecessor to the distraction era politics we are commenting on with American Attraction. I think we can fight to be the media and mouthpiece of progress that we wish to be. with our art, our interactions with one another, how we spend our money, the things we put in and on our bodies...

that is the end game to both of those songs and that idea is still very relevant in the face of "fake news".

Hey guys, Huge fan! With an important election coming up in November are you planning on doing any rock the vote type of events? PA is now a huge battle-ground now and I wish you're voices and messages were heard in some of our "Red" districts.

Original Poster6 points · 6 months ago

I like to think that every show we play is a call to return power to the people. to engage in local and national elections, but recognize our work doesnt begin or end there. we will do our best to encourage folks to register and vote, but also to just be decent and kind humans.

thank you! -2

Comment deleted6 months ago
Original Poster7 points · 6 months ago

I have one... it will always blow my mind that anyone cares enough to get one as well.

thanks -2

[removed]

Original Poster5 points · 6 months ago

hope to see ya soon! thanks -2

Original Poster5 points · 6 months ago

Since you don't have a question I will give you a view into our lives.... This morning 8am we all woke up to messages from Jesse that said our practice space/studio was about to flood from the river behind our space. We all headed to the studio and the water was really high. We rented a big U-Haul truck and threw all our gear into it. After we cleared out almost the entire studio, Luckily the water receded. If it would have come up much more it would have destroyed most of our musical equipment. We definitely got lucky and dodged a bullet, We are exhausted and want to rebuild our space to practice but we are suppose to get more rain and snow today so hopefully the water will stay down and we can rebuild our practice space before we leave for the tour in 3 days. -pat

Original Poster3 points · 6 months ago

Fuck! Pat said it!!! What a morning!!! Whew...

Now I'm here chatting with all of you awesome people... It's an honor and I feel really grateful to be here!!! Thanks everyone!! ---Justin Sane

Is there anything on the setlist for this tour that you have rarely played in the past (besides the new album)?

Original Poster3 points · 6 months ago

yeah... we have a good handful of songs we have dusted off. will be a healthy mix of old and new, some very old, some very new.

hope to see ya at a show! -2

I’m here too. lol.

Original Poster3 points · 6 months ago

I <3 JM! -2

2 more replies

I love you guys I have seen u in NY state Toronto and Quebec (i live in Toronto) so when are u coming back to toronto?

Original Poster5 points · 6 months ago

hoping for a full Canadian run sometime in 2018.

keep your ear to the ground and eyes open! -2

I remember seeing you guys when you filmed the video for this is the end where you played whatever songs we shouted. Show was wild and I was in the second group. What was it like playing 2-3 sets in a row and what song were you least expecting to play that night?

Original Poster3 points · 6 months ago

Wow thats amazing that you remember that!!!!! I can't remember the songs we played but I remember it that day being a lot of fun!!!! -Pat

I was screaming Seattle was a riot all night hoping you'd play it but you guys played Free Nation and Spazs house destruction party which was epic

Been a huge fan of you guys since i first heard for Blood and Empire. I saw you guys in Tucson two years ago at the Rock and it definitely ranks as one of my favorite concerts, you guys are a helluva show! I really liked how you guys had Tim Armstrong featured on Brandenburg Gate, are there any plans for incorporating more guest vocals like Tim in the future?

Thanks for doing the AMA!

Original Poster4 points · 6 months ago

we will be in AZ soon, hope to see ya at the show!

on the last record we kept to ourselves. but we are always looking to collaborate with our friends. would love to do a track with MC SOLE, thomas from strike anywhere/great collapse, derek the homeless gospel choir, and many others... good thing we will make more records! -2

Thanks for the reply! Keep up the great music and message!

Original Poster4 points · 6 months ago

Thanks for staying with us! That means more to me than I can say.

The answer is: Tim can sing with us any time he want to!!! Haha!!! It's always exciting to collaborate with creative and talented people! ---Justin

Thanks for the response! Hope to catch you guys on tour again soon!

In what system does "silence = violence" exactly?

Original Poster7 points · 6 months ago

ALL OF THEM!!!! -PAT

Original Poster5 points · 6 months ago

all of 'em.

1 more reply

I made it a New Year's resolution to take a part of my income and contribute to the causes that are important to me. Can you suggest any advocacy groups for me to add to the list?

See you in Cleveland!

Original Poster2 points · 6 months ago

Great work!!! That is an inspiration to me!!!!!!

Any of the groups who we are teaming up with on our upcoming tour: A Voice For The Innocent, peta2, Love Hope Strength, Amnesty International USA, J20 http://defendj20resistance.org

RESPECT!!!! ---Justin Sane

What do you think is your worst/least favorite song you've released?

Original Poster6 points · 6 months ago

worst.... hmmmm. maybe teenage kennedy lobotomy??? but pat's "I get paid by the drumbeat" part is funny.

best.... When The Wall Falls or Brandenburg Gate that I sing. Fabled World or The Criminals that Justin sings.

Nooo dude, Teenage Kennedy Lobotomy is super fun! I thought it'd have to be something from A New Kind of Army to be honest haha.

Original Poster3 points · 6 months ago

veganitis was an amazing song -Pat

What are your biggest musical influences and what are your biggest political influences and how have those crossed over for you to allow you to create the kind of politically charged punk rock you do today?

(Also just a really self serving question, anyone in the band like Pat the Bunny/Ramshackle Glory?)

Original Poster2 points · 6 months ago

My biggest musical influences are varied. It started in my Irish family with Irish folk music - which often very political. As a teenager I found punk which made me want to play music. The most important records to me were The Sex Pistols "Never Mind The Bollocks", The Clash's "The Clash", "Give Em Enough Rope" and "London Calling." Shortly following those records was anything by The Ramones and then Rancid.

My parent's were political activists and the biggest influence on me politically. That said, I love Emma Goldman's autobiography, Naomi Klein's "The Shock Doctrine" and the reporting of Democracy Now. Thanks ---Justin Sane

Hey dudes, this isn't so much a question as much as it is an outlet to let you guys know how much of an impact you've had on my life. I saw you guys just over a year ago with Reel Big Fish in Minnesota; I hadn't really listened to your music prior to the concert, honestly I was there for RBF.

When you guys went on, I was captivated right from the get-go, man. The energy in the room was contagious, and the message in your guys' music was incredible. After the show I met all of you guys, and remember that I had said something to Justin about fairly recently quitting booze and it being pretty rough, but nights like that night showed that, in the face of adversity, great things can come out of that. Talking to you guys felt more like talking to friends that I had known for years, rather than the feeling of meeting a bunch of famous people. How genuine you guys are is shown through your music, but also through your actions and I can't begin to express how much I commend that.

This is getting wordy, but since that concert I've been absolutely obsessed with Anti-Flag... I can confidently say that AF is my favorite band and one of my greatest inspirations. Genuinely, thank you for being yourselves. Anyways, this Thursday will be my third time seeing you guys with my best friend, almost two years booze-free... It's a goddamned awesome way to bring in a new year. So.... I guess if I'm supposed to ask a question, can I expect to see you guys again after your show on Thursday in MN? 😉

Original Poster2 points · 6 months ago

Hell yeah!!! I'm so glad to hear that you're doing well and humbled that we go to be a part of it. That is the goal of the band!!! To build community, to let people know that they are not alone, and to help one another. HUGS!!! ---Justin

Original Poster2 points · 6 months ago

love everything about this. we always try to hang out after each show, so hopefully see you there and give you a killer high 5 for your 2yrs anniversary!

Goddamn it I fucking love you guys. See you in the pit!

Hey guys! I just wanted to thank you for consistently standing up for what you believe in, as well as for groups of people who are marginalized and victimized in our country and around the world. Your passion reaches us through you music and taught me at a young age to reject apathy and to use empathy to try to understand the complicated issues we as humans face often because of humanity. I really appreciate that you guys are bringing some really important non-profits with you to your shows this tour. I have seen you guys a few other times but I am really looking forward to seeing you guys in Pittsburgh because I find going to shows, especially Anti-Flag and other musicians that really talk about inclusion and acceptance on top of the rejection of bigotry and hate feel like an emotional cleanse.

I found myself in Boston the weekend of the counter-protest of the white-supremest rally, and I wore the ANTI tank top that you guys sell and it was almost too good for that demonstration. You guys were over seas at the end of the summer; what it was like to see what was happening here specifically Charlottesville and then the the reaction to that rally from a distance?

Original Poster2 points · 6 months ago

Thanks for all of your kind and encouraging words. They are really inspiring to me!!!

You're just the kind of person that gives me hope.

At the time of Charlottesville it was really incredible to see the level of solidarity overseas. It drove home to me the fact that there are people everywhere with empathy and compassion and who are not willing to concede to neo fascists. It gave me a lot of hope. ---Justin Sane

Hey guys! I have seen you and met you twice in Minneapolis Minnesota. two things i want to tell you guys- Justin- when i met you i was SUPER awkward because your my fav person ever. And Chris- at warped in minneapolis your merch guy gave me Anti Flag set list but i was too star struck and forgot what a set list was and you must have thought i was stupid for that! LOL But it is my prized possession now. Can you guys just tell me its cool for being so weird when i met you guys so i dont keep cringing when i think about it? Thanks :)

Original Poster2 points · 6 months ago

Haha!!! It's all good!!

One time I bought a camera to get a picture with Billy Bragg. I snuck back stage at his show and tracked him down. But when he said, "Nice to meet you!" I got so nervous that I forgot to ask for a picture!!! It happens!!! Stay cool!!!

Original Poster2 points · 6 months ago

you are awesome! and any weirdness was reciprocated by our own total weirdness!

we will be back in MPLS in a couple weeks, hope to see you there and hope to eat everything at The Herbivorous Butcher!!!!!

Hi! I just want to say THANK YOU for the great music and the very best live punkrock shows EVER. Have seen you guys live many times and it's always so great! And thank you JUSTIN for recommendation Naomi Klein's Shock Doctrine. One of the most important books ever written. Let's keep dancing!

Original Poster2 points · 6 months ago

Absolutely!!! LET'S. KEEP. DANCING.!!! ---Justin

You got me there, man XD. Horribly excited for your Cleveland show. It's always fun seeing you. Hoping for some stuff off of general strike and the new album

Anti-flag? Does that mean, like, Anti- the American flag?

1 more reply

This one is for Justin: I really love your solo stuff, will there be new music in the future?

I know I am a bit late to this AMA, but if y'all still around: I came to see you guys in Reno when you played with RBF and it was one of the most influential gigs of my life. I am from South Africa, and getting to see two of my favourite bands who I'd never thought I'd see was incredible. The love and brotherhood I experienced in the crowd almost brought me to tears. And then afterwards I snuck backstage and met you, Justin! Went on about how you should definitely come to South Africa! I will never forget how awesome you were to me, a random kid from the other side of the world. You and the rest of the band are true role models to me.

I guess my questions are, how does the responsibility of being so influential in so many peoples lives weigh on you? And when you coming to South Africa? ;) I'll even get you free accommodation and show you around?

1 point · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

I saw you guys at Warped Tour in the early 2000s before I even know who you guys were.

After your set, I bought Underground Network, and went through your portfolio from there so I'm super biased about best albums (I think "A New Kind of Army" and "Underground Network" personally.)

When I turned 18, I saw the election and it really turned me off to voting and shit due to the outcome. "Terror State" really helped me out during that time.

I love the earlier albums as well, and some songs off the later albums have also spoken to me, just sharing my experience with your portfolio.

How's Andy Flag doing? Also can you PLEASE play "Stars and Stripes" at the show at Mohawk in Austin, TX? It would really make my year :)

edit: haha I just remembered how yall included a stencil for a t-shirt print with that "Terror State" album that I wore religiously in rural Texas. I once drove through Mississippi while wearing that shirt. I saw a cop at a gas station in fucking nowhere MS and the cop just wanted to know where I bought my bullet string belt because he wanted one. Good times doing that shit with a 12-inch mohawk and bondage pants...

Hey Anti-Flag! I've been listening to you guys for only about a year (I'm 14) but I have fell in love. I saw you guys at Warped Tour in Pittsburgh this summer, and I'm coming out again in February at The Smiling Moose (or whatever you want to call it) You guys got me very into punk, and wanting to change something. But honestly, I don't know how to do it. I don't know how to change anything, especially at this age. Where would be a good way to start? But anyways, in some of your songs on your new album, I think I can hear some Rancid inspiration, or is that just me? Haha. I'm so, so excited so see you guys!! Counting down the days!!

2 more replies

Hey, guys. 'Can't wait to hear the new record! Your last album, "American Spring" is a really great album. I listen to it so much that even my kids ask me to play Brandenburg Gate for them. Is "American Fall" a second part to that previous album or is it an entirely different concept? How do you respond to critics that say that music should entertain and not make statements or take positions on serious issues? I feel like this is what punk is supposed to be. What are your thoughts?

How's the new album being received? I'm Aussie so I don't really know much of what's going on with you guys. And what inspired the name for this tour? (I see the title and think of an Aussie band called cog who released a song called silence=violence.

I saw you guys when you came down for the blood and empire anniversary tour. It was my first time seeing you all. I just wanted to say it was truly a dream come true to see that album played in full and you guys put on a great show!

A year or two ago I left my streaming music on random and was listening to a Billy Talent song. All of a sudden I heard a familiar voice (the song "Turn Your Back"). It was a wonderful surprise! I was wondering, do you have any other collaborative songs in the works? (I don't keep up on it, so apologies if I'm asking an obvious question)

Thanks!

Hey Chris #2. What do you think of the Penguins season so far.

Also I was in the audience for your acoustic Fort McMurray fire benefit in Edmonton a few years ago and just wanted to give you guys props for doing that.

Is there a chance that you will still read this?

Chris#2, you did a TED Talk, is it online somewhere?

What advice would you give to a fan who just enlisted in the military? I have a friend who loves you guys but had started a path to be an Army Ranger.

Are you anti all flags? What have you guys got against Black Flag anyway?

LOL its remind me of my CHild Hood

How are you guys so awesome?

The musical community of reddit

r/Music Rules