About Hobbs, NM

Wife got a job as a Nurse in Hobbs so we will be moving there soon, we will be moving from Auckland and I just wanted to know more about the place.

How's the crime rate, housing, mass transportation, cost of living? Are apartments affordable? are there parts of town that we should avoid? does majority of residents speak Spanish? Are there any towns nearby that are better than Hobbs? Any nearby tourist spots or interesting places to visit? and lastly how are the job prospects there since I will be looking for a job while I work on my nursing registration.

Alright here we go. I just moved here myself so I don’t know everything but I do get up close and personal with the bad parts of town.

Crime rate-not gonna lie it’s gotten worse over the years from what I understand. Drugs are rampant here and I don’t mean bullshit marijuana. It’s an epidemic that’s caused by whether or not the oil fields are booming. (More on that later)

Housing-housing depends on how the oil fields are doing. Right now they are picking up so houses for sale are going pretty quick. Houses for rent are almost impossible to find. Apartments are mostly reasonable but vary in price again due to the oil fields. Prices go up do to demand.

Mass transportation is non-existent here. Be ready to drive everywhere. Closest “big” cities are approximately 1-2 hours away in Texas.

Places to avoid-avoid the South side south of Sanger and the east side east of Marland. Lots of drug activity and violent crime in those areas. North side has lots of restaurants but no nightlife to speak of other than chain restaurants.

There is a large Spanish speaking community in the area but a majority of people keep to them selves. Closest towns nearby are smaller than Hobbs with less to offer. Don’t live in Roswell. It’s a cesspool. Seminole is approximately 30 miles away but not really an improvement.

Nearby tourist spots include the Carlsbad caverns about and hours drive and Ruidoso about 3 hours away which is close for New Mexico standards. Dallas is about a 5 hour drive away and could be good for a weekend trip.

Job Prospects- depends on what you’re looking for. If you’re working at n nursing you may want to try the hospitals nearby. Lots of oilfield work is opening up. City of Hobbs I believe has some openings not sure where the though.

Conclusion- Hobbs is a small town with only so much to offer. If that’s what you’re into you can make a nice comfortable living and you can choose to take some time to visit the big cities when you need something else. There a vibe of the Wild West that’s still alive here in Hobbs but that can be a double edged sword. The city really try’s to get the community involved and is constantly trying to get citizens input and has taken steps to improve the city. Either way. Welcome to New Mexico. There are lots of things to do in this state that provide me with fulfillment and I hope you can call it your home someday. Just don’t judge the whole state based on what you see in Hobbs.

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

Thank you very much for that!

No problem! I just hope your guys find somewhere that makes you happy. It may not have come across but I love Hobbs. It’s a great city. Just not to everyone’s liking

If you're heading to Ruidoso or Carlsbad for a little weekend trip, make sure to plan a stop at White Sands National Monument outside of Alamogordo, too. It's the largest and one of the only areas of gypsum sand dunes in the world (gypsum usually dissolves in water so it takes pretty unique geographic and climate conditions for it to collect into dunes). It's really beautiful out there, though if you really want to explore it's best to do it in late fall/winter/early spring because there's no shade and it gets dangerously hot in the summer (though the sand always stays cool, unlike normal beach sand, so you can visit in the summer and still spend a little time playing on the dunes).

9 points · 1 month ago

I feel like I should say this after reading the other posts. I live near and work in Hobbs.

Hobbs isn’t really all that bad. Yes there is a drug problem, and there are some less desirable citizens here. Property crime is probably the biggest thing you’ll have to worry about as our less desirable citizens don’t like to work for what they have. They would rather steal and cheat instead of earning a living.

But the majority of the people you come across are good people, just going about their day. They can be old fashioned and aren’t usually all that open to change. Trends do come and go, just later than they do other places. Don’t expect much diversity in jobs, if you don’t work in the oilfield, retail and fast food are about the only choices you’ll have. However, if you are specialized you’ll have an easier time finding work. It is a good, easy going place to live if you can work with what you are given here.

Oh boy did the New Mexico haters come out in full force for this thread. Now to be fair the part of NM they are talking about is better described as "far west Texas" but still....

As to the OP do you mean Auckland as in Auckland, NEW ZEALAND or some other Auckland?

Original Poster3 points · 1 month ago

Auckland, New Zealand. Don't ask why we're moving, coz that's what I've been asking the misus.

From the feedback I'm getting from this post I think we won't be staying in Hobbs too long.

Even if you're only in New Mexico for a short time, be sure to get out and explore the state. Hobbs (or any oil town, really) isn't the best overall representation of the state, but there's a lot to genuinely love about NM.

The food, obviously is a big one, but also the incredible variation in landscapes (from green mountains and lush valleys to incredible deserts), the mix of cultures (19 pueblos that still celebrate in traditional ways), and the arts scene.

I moved here from elsewhere in the US, and I wouldn't live anywhere else.

If you do move this way, why not try Albuquerque? Bigger city, more opportunities etc.

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

That's where she got a job as a nurse. But we will move eventually, either back to NZ or somewhere else.

Comment deleted1 month ago
Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

Thanks! Will check it out once we move out of Hobbs.

Isn't housing there ungodly expensive though?

The fact that a Kiwi is coming to Hobbs, NM is the best evidence I can think of in support of the adage that "one person's trash is another person's treasure."

Original Poster3 points · 1 month ago

Nah, we're not Kiwis, we're Filipinos. But we are living im NZ for 3 years now. I don't think any New Zealander would think of moving to Hobbs. Why we are moving? That's what I keep on asking her.

Hobbs is a small weird mostly dead town. Move to ABQ or Las Cruces if you want to move to NM.

Hobbs: at least it's not Clovis!

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

What's with Clovis?

It’s the armpit of NM

No, Hobbs is the armpit. Clovis is the asshole.

Haha I’ll agree

I grew up in Hobbs, and ended up in Portales so Clovis is 'going to town'. I'm so fucked.

GTFO, man. I love a lot of things about NM, but leaving is the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Where does Farmington rank in New Mexico's anatomy? I'm thinking the other armpit.

Never been, but I've never heard anything good about it.

It’s like Hobbs but much smaller. Same region. Same general distance from everything

Hobbs 2016 estimate: 38,143

Clovis 2016 estimate: 39,373

They've been close in size for a long time. Though I would agree with the rest of what you said.

I've visited both a lot and they are quite comparable. Hobbs has the oilfield stink, Clovis has the dairy stink.

Oh wow - I didn’t know they were so similar. I would have guessed Clovis around 20 and Hobbs closer to 60 right now. Thanks

Also come check out /r/midessa that’s most likely going to be your main “next big town” to go to. Maybe Lubbock.

If the earth had an asshole Clovis is where the enema tube goes.

I am sorry you have to move to my hometown. Honestly, if you had any other option, I would look into it.

Crime Rate: not bad, Small pockets of it in less affluent areas. Mostly property crime. Housing: Market is picking up and a lot of people are selling and they are making sub communities. Apartments: Don't. Housing is stupid cheap, just get a house. The cheaper apartments can be a crime hotspot.

Avoid: Dunn Street in the East, Far westside (lil Albuquerque), and the far Southside. I would look for a house towards the north side of town as that is the newest and nicest part of the town.

Most Mexican people speak at least broken version of spanish, but everyone speaks english for the most part.

Hobbs is pretty Disulate. The Closest major cities are: Lubbock (2hrs), Midland (1 1/2 hrs), Odessa (1 1/2 hrs), and El paso (4hrs) TX; Albuquerque(6hrs) & Las Cruces(5hrs) NM. Denver Colorado is about 10 hours but worth the drive. The Carlsbad Caverns are fun to visit and about an hour away. Ruidoso and Cloudcroft are small Mountain communities near by. There is native american Reservations not too far as well.

Another thing you will see a lot of that might be a culture shock is: Guns, Guns, and more Guns. Plus Pickup Trucks everywhere, just a heads up. Also this is in the plains, so almost constant wind. It is 100F in the summer and gets to below 20F in the winter.

The economy goes with the oil field, if it is booming then the jobs are endless, but be weary of the boom and bust flows that the town sees.

Also, you will not be close to any Ocean or major rivers. So no water fun. There is a lot of desert hiking and the Rocky Mountains are not far.

The New Mexican food and BBQ are really good there. Check out Kendall's Kountry Meat Market and El Mirador. Also, They love cheap US domestic beers like bud light and coors light.

Of you have seen the Movie Boy think like that without a beach or trees

I used to do neurosurgery in West Texas, and due to the drug trade routing through Hobbs, we got a shit-load of gunshot wounds to the head from there....

Not a great area, honestly. It can get really expensive when there's an oil boom. Southeastern New Mexico lacks a lot of the beauty of other parts for the state. There are also a LOT of drugs there and crime is an issue. It's extremely conservative as well. A lot of the Trump types live there. Culturally it's closer to Texas than the rest of NM.

There are a lot of good people in Hobbs, but it has more than it's fair share of problems. If you can find a place somewhere else, even if it's lower paying I'd take it.

Oil town, leave fast

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

Thanks for your responses!! I can't wait to leave Hobbs already!!