Archived

They say, "always make sure you have a new job lined up before you leave your current one." But how are you supposed to go to job interviews if you're working full-time at your current one, and the interviews would mostly be held during weekdays?

Yarr
1.6k points · 8 months ago

People usually take a full or partial day off when it's time for the interview. If their current job never allows time off, they can try to arrange it during lunch break, or after hours.

Original Poster414 points · 8 months ago

Ok cool, that makes sense. What if I get an interview offer and they say they want to interview me in the afternoon, but I'd rather try and arrange it for after hours? Would this be a risky move or would it be better to try and get time off with the current company because then you don't risk the company who wants to interview you not bothering (because they don't want to change the interview time and there's lots of other potential candidates anyway)?

Yarr

It's ok if you don't push too hard. "I'm currently employed so it might be a bit challenging to get time off during the middle of the day. Would it be possible to schedule an interview after hours?"

Original Poster294 points · 8 months ago

Awesome. I will take that in mind. Thankyou.

356 points · 8 months ago · edited 8 months ago

As someone who hires people, who are almost always currently employed people, if you're worth us asking for an in person interview, we'll do what we can to accommodate you.

Obviously, it depends on the company and position, but this is pretty standard stuff. Every company takes employees from every other company.

This. My current job was in desperate need of help. So when we set my interview up, it was up to me to schedule it. I closed only one night that week, so I scheduled my interview for that morning. If they need help bad enough, and they know you're currently employed, they will do what they can to work with your current schedule.

Just don't let your current job get wind of your actions.

5 more replies

Try weekends as well

Depends on the type of job. Weekends are usually a no go for office jobs.

Comment deleted8 months ago(2 children)

I didn't say impossible :)

1 more reply

It's absolutely fine. Companies will understand your discretion, just be forthcoming with time slots that would work, and don't push the scheduling on the interviewer.

For instance 'I can't make noon today, but I could do these times tomorrow and the next day, or do a phone call at any time'

Say you have a doctor's appointment like a normal person

not a doctor

Companies aren't allowed to ask about health so your employer can't ask why you have doctor's appointment

True. However, they can deny you the time off though. My employer will say no if I ask for time off for an appointment. They expect that I do it on my time or that I book the time off ahead of time. Booking it off ahead of time can also be denied for any number of reasons.

The reality is that they are quite flexible if it is a legitimate medical necessity. Of course I have to voluntarily tell them what I'm going in for or they will just deny it.

So, while it is true that they can't force you to tell them why you need the time. They are also free to deny it.

"I caught a nasty case of the AIDS and need to take the day off."

Ah shit, hope you get better soon.

See you on Thursday!

Full blown AIDS

2 more replies

Why do you still work there? Are you under contract or something? It doesn't sound like a nice place

It isn't really a nice place but it could also be worse. I made some bad life choices in the past so I don't exactly have my pick these days.

Ah very true my friend,

Always keep looking though!

Right here with you. Hoping things improve for you soon.

16 points · 8 months ago · edited 8 months ago

It's perfectly reasonable to say 'I currently work these days/times and it'd take me a while to get a day's leave scheduled. Is there any chance we could interview in (the evening/by phone over lunch/whatever)?' Your prospective new employer isn't an idiot (you hope) and will appreciate people not screwing over their current employer by faking sickness or whatever (you hope).
They might not be able to accommodate, but you won't be viewed negatively for asking if you pitch it right.

A lot of jobs will help you come up with a time that works for you if you explain to them you don't want your current employer to know you are looking elsewhere

Just don't be like the guy I worked with and hold your phone interview during the work hours at your desk

5 more replies

You can tell the Americans because they are the one with no holiday

Most places even outside of America you have any give a pretty significant amount of notice to book holiday though right?

I've only ever worked shift work, but holidays had to be booked months in advance. More immediate things could be sorted by shift swaps, but yeah that only really works for shift work.

Annual leave needs to be booked and approved. Can be a pain too.

Depending on your job/contract you might have flex leave (if you do 10 hour days those 2 hours acrue as leave to be taken at a later time), personal leave (fancy word for sick leave but you don't provide a doctors note) and even a single annual discretionary leave day (meant to be only for your birthday, but doesn't always work out like that)

4 more replies

1 more reply

Yep. I've done interviews during the day by using lunch or other excuse (dentist appt, whatever) and having a nice shirt and tie stashed in my car.

dentist appt

Is the dentist's name Crentist?

13 more replies

2.1k points · 8 months ago

It's also known as the First Rule of Rock-Climbing: Never let go of what you've got hold of until you've got hold of something else.

The people I've known who were already employed and wanted to change jobs did it in two main ways: (1) They took a couple of their vacation days or comp days for interviews -- and often lied to their supervisors about their real purpose. Or, (2) they purely lucked on to a new opportunity via someone they met at a party or through a friend, and never actually had to go prospecting.

Original Poster678 points · 8 months ago

Thanks for this. This feels so obvious but at least now I know....

If it helps, my wife is interviewing while employed right now and so far has taken one extra long lunch break and one sick day in order to interview.

She hates having to lie about what she's up to, but that's the nature of the beast. If you don't get offered a new job, you really don't want your current employer to know that you were at least trying to leave.

Look at it the other way: if your employer was planning on replacing you or firing you, they certainly wouldn't be telling you about it. It cuts both ways.

That's such a great way to look at things! I'm always gonna tell this to my friends who look for new opportunities.

Right! Employers want loyalty but rarely return it. Stuff' s just business.

Especially in at-will states

Only Montana is not an at-will state

And no one lives there to get fired anyway

The best advice I ever received was from my old boss. "This business will do what's best for its best interests. Treat yourself as a business."

-Justin (you da real mvp)

This. In addition, however, if you're interviewing for a job that pays 15k more per year, in your field, and has a shorter commute for you, a boss would have to be a total idiot to realize why you didn't interview for the position.

My girlfriend has a job where she likes the work, but it's not in the field she wants a career in, and the pay isn't great, and I've told her, if your company was truly worried about people leaving, they'd pay better and give benefits.

She's a genius in her field, and great at project management, and I know she's destined for greatness.

I had a lot of loyalty to the company that got my foot in the door in my field. Expect... they didn’t have loyalty to me. Started me below what I made cashiering. I was there for 3 years, at which point I was starting to make what most brand new interns at other places made. My boss tried to convince me that my skills weren’t worth a raise, so I decided to prove him wrong. I now make 150% of what I made previously at my old job. My dollar per hour has gone up $15 since I started there 3.5 years ago. My boss was pretty mad when I left (because “loyalty”), but everyone else understood.

Yeah. “Loyalty.” Feh. If they wanted you bad enough at the first job they’d have paid you what you are worth- or at least enough to make you stay. You did good kid.

Not 100% true. I told my boss 3 months ago I was looking to make a change, and that he could find me a transfer to another location, or I would be leaving for a competitor who I already had an offer from. I got my transfer and will be getting a raise at the same time. It took some time to find a transfer I would accept, but they kept me on until the right spot opened up.

Yeah, but as you said you already had an offer.

The way I see it, if one’s current job situation encourages one to seek out new employment, then there’s not a good reason to feel all that bad for it.

When my managers cut all of our hours back, I went back to school. When an employee quit because they couldn’t afford living on less, those same managers tried to give the hours back like it was a gift. I told them to stuff it, and my orientation for my new job is Wednesday.

My wife did the same thing. She plateaued at one job, was reached by a recruiter and interviewed for a job that ended up giving her a 20% raise and better benefits. Hasn’t looked back, even though her old managers acted petulant about it.

2 more replies

That's what this sub is here for. Good luck!

1 more reply

"is it ok if I come in an hour late tomorrow ... <insert excuse>, I'll stay an hour late" ... usually works.

Attend morning interview = 👍

Could be dentist appointment or drive Mum to hospital or take dog to vet, take GF somewhere, going to view new apartment with GF, etc etc.

Could always take extra half hour at lunch and attend an interview.

I used to he a recruiter. Some of the interesting excuses I've seen used include:

"furniture is being delivered, need a half day"

"internet cut out and AT&T will be there sometime between 8-12 to fix it. Fucking AT&T"

"I need to pick up [distant relative] from the airport, their flight gets in at 2:12"

"I woke up and found out my dog shit everywhere inside... I'll be late"

"The trains are a mess this morning... I'll arrive whenever they allow me to"

"Cold coming along, work from home."

"need to get my package out of the post office that claims they don't have it, will be late"

"planning how to spend your $100, so I need to work from home"

police at the door, blood everywhere, running late.

Use a sick day instead of vacation if possible. Depending on what state you are in, when you quit your current job they have to pay out your remaining vacation days but not your sick days. Then utilize that day fully. During my last job hunt I had two in-person and one phone interview on the same day.

1 more reply

You can also ask for the interview to be scheduled during lunch or late in the day. More than likely the place you're applying knows you have a job and should accomedate you.

Take a long lunch or come in during a half day after doing some interviews with a new haircut and suit and tie, maybe with some conspicuous looking sheafs of paper that could be a resume/cover letter and scare your boss into giving you a promotion or raise, never of course admit you were at an interview, if anyone asks about it give then a an nonchalant and believable, albeit mildly suspicious excuse.

It's not great but I took a sick day last week for an interview. I would only suggest this if you're confident you're going to have a good chance at getting the job and you really want it - otherwise sick days don't look good to new employers. Unfortunately it's all I could do as jobs come and go quickly and I have to put in a month notice for annual leave. Also working six days a week doesn't help.

Can employers even ask about sick days at your past job?

I doubt it, unless it’s hinted at in the reference but I’d say that would only ever happen if the person rang in sick constantly. Even then I’m not sure if it would be discussed

2 more replies

2 more replies

Going through THIS now. Have to lie & take PTO or WFH. Just don’t show up to work late with fancy hair and tons of perfume saying you had to go to the post office. People aren’t thaaaat stupid.

You’ll be fine, so long as you keep kicking ass at your job.

I went on a Saturday to first interview and then on a Tuesday directly after work to renegotiate terms. All else was done on the phone.

3 more replies

Original Poster86 points · 8 months ago

Got a bit of a problem though. I'm just looking at the job contract now and it says I have 20 days holiday entitlement per year, but I have to give at least four weeks notice for proposed holiday dates and they have to agree for it. But how am I supposed to know exactly when the interviews will be? Is this just kind of a game where you have to try and time it right in advance?

I never had to get my superior's approval more than a week or so in advance for days off that I already had in the bank. And since I was a public employee, and therefore earned comp time off in lieu of being paid overtime, I usually had a couple of those available, too.

If I really, really needed to grab a day off on short notice, I could usually cut a deal with one of my co-workers, where he would cover for me and I would take his scheduled day off. As long as everything was covered, the boss didn't much care. I felt the same way when I later became the boss.

It sounds, unfortunately, like you're working for a rather tight-assed organization.

Original Poster20 points · 8 months ago

Hmm, ok, thanks. I'll take that in mind.

Yeah, that thing about 4 weeks notice sounds like total bullshit to me. Has your business ALWAYS given you 4 weeks notice of your work schedule? That'd be impossible to do, so you have to realize they're asking the impossible from you.

Do you have sick time or WFH privileges? When I had interviews during the week I took a sick day, or worked from home the days I "had an appointment" and let them know I'd be offline for an hour or two.

Plus, if you are the kind of employee that virtually never calls out sick, when you do use sick time, 0 people will question it.

“Unfortunately explosive diarrhea”

No one questions the squirts

Definitely won't. In addition, having someone in the office with squirts can easily turn into a handful of people in an office with squirts, which is now a liability for the company, as well as decreased productivity.

Bosses who force employees to come in sick to work are the scum of the Earth, because they bend to upper management so much, who may not understand the finer workings of the individual branch.

Ask your boss how far in advance you'd need to book 0.5-1 a day off to run some errands and go to an appointment (if it was just errands they may expect you to be able to be completely flexible on timing so if work suddenly gets busy they may ask you to move your day off which won't work for interviews or appointments)

If you're taking only 0.5 day off most won't expect a full 4 weeks advanced notice - but if you wanted 2 weeks off 4 weeks in advance is perfectly fair

How long is your lunch break? I’ve known people that planned their interviews this way. If you do this though, bring a change of clothes. Long lunch + better dressed than usual is a dead giveaway.

Alternatively, you can use sick days.

Four weeks' notice is absurd. And I live in the U.S.A., the least worker-friendly country in the world!

I am willing to bet that if you ask your supervisor (or whoever is supposed to approve time off) how long in advance you need to request time off, they will give you a totally different, more reasonable answer.

Four weeks notice is only for holidays and long time off.

Most places or work don’t need more than a few days notice for minor things. “Hey boss, I have a Dentist appointment next week, I’m getting a root canal done because I have tooth pain.” There are plenty of instances similar to that, no one schedules tooth pain appointments 4 weeks in advance. Just don’t make a big deal of it, you shouldnt have to even give specifics really. “Hey boss, next Thursday I have an A.M. personal appointment that I need to take care of...” (i.e. you have an interview at 8am on Thursday). You can even throw him a bone and offer to make up the time elsewhere, like “Since I won’t be able to get to work until 1pm on that Thursday, I can come in on Saturday and make up the lost time.

In normal corporate environments a general rule of thumb is twice the notice as time off. Want Tuesday off ask on Friday. If you have a real jerk of a boss they will enforce the 4 week thing for a single day at which point you abuse sick days.

In my office job it’s 4 weeks. You could try and ask for it off for the next week but then you risk them denying it and then it looking more suspicious when you are off ‘sick’ on that day. If it’s a one off I would say phone in sick

1 more reply

Best case scenario, let your future employer know about this, and try to schedule accordingly.

How do you take sick days? Does your company expect you to schedule illness a month in advance?

Lunch or just say you have a drs appt. if they won't let you take that time then you can call in sick with a fever and fatigue. If they want a note just say no I didn't go but I could hardly get out of bed. Appointments usually work. Like say you needed a hair cut or car work or something.

If you can spare a few hours pay then fuck it with the holiday pay or scheduled future vacation days. If they literally are trying to tell you "no, you're not sick you have to work. Work work work." Then fuck them anyways you're leaving. Tell them you have to be gone for the afternoon because you have personal business to attend to. They can't rebut that even if they try. I'd walk straight out after I went through the proper channels.

Odd... They always told me the First Rule of Rock Climbing was: Don't fuck up and die.

No, that's the First Rule of Life.

But I'll die at the end anyway :(

You've done fine so far with no dying, just keep doing whatever you've been doing and you'll be fiiiiiine

At least that's my plan, gone splendidly so far!

Kind of an unspoken meta-rule. Could also be phrased as "Don't get yourself hurt and ruin everyone else's day at the crag having to haul your broken ass out to where the ambulance/heli can pick you up."

But the actual version of the parent comment is: "Maintain 3 points of contact." Which is actually very old-school from when mountaineers tied hemp ropes around their waists and falling was really, really, really bad, particularly on lead. You have 2 feet and 2 hands. So, the "3 points of contact" means "don't move a hand until you've got one hand and two feet on the rock, and don't move a foot until you've got 2 good hand holds and your other foot is reasonably solid."

But in contemporary rock climbing, that doesn't really apply, particularly bouldering with good pads and spotters.

Spotters? Or worshippers?

What are these "vacation" and "comp" you speak of.

I get to EARN up to a week of vacation if I'm there longer than a year.

Things you get if you unionize and the assclown that owns the company doesn't burn it all down.

I worked at Amazon, who is very anti union. You still get those days

3 more replies

But dynos.

Fuck you got to that joke first

Yes and sadly some professions it is normal to go to 10+ job interviews before you land that new job so you will waste many vacation days and lies. It's also very hard if you work somewhere that highly devalues vacation and time off with less than 2 weeks notice because most job interviews aren't scheduled far out. This person sounds like they haven't experienced this problem because the asker has found a genuine conundrum in job hunting while employed

You don't owe your employer an explanation for why you're taking time off. It's called personal time for a reason.

Yeah, but if your boss is even somewhat of a conversational acquaintance or friendly with you some variation of "No problem, whatcha got going on?" Could easily pop up Or "yeah, is everything alright?" If you rarely miss. Then you either sound like a dick and tip your hand by shutting them down and saying "none of your business" or you have to lie.

Nah, just say "Need to take care of a few errands" or even "Just some personal stuff to take care of"

Yeah -- but you also don't usually tell your boss, "I'm going for an interview because I can't stand working for you any longer." Also, the people I knew who told white lies in the pursuit of new employment weren't coworkers of mine, only friends and acquaintances, generally in pretty horrible jobs. I was a public employee, so our working conditions were heavily standardized in such matters as what your supervisor could demand and what he couldn't.

I just finished looking for a new job. First round of interview I went to was happy to schedule it for after working hours. The next one started with a phone interview, during normal hours. I told my manager "I need to run a quick errand I'll be back in twenty" Then drove down the street and did the interview in my car. The next round for that same job I told them needed to take a long lunch to avoid working overtime (not uncommon for me). Final interview for that company I "needed to take my fiance to a doctor's appointment."

1 more reply

I’ve never had to lie about going to an interview. You don’t have to tell your boss what you are doing on your day off, or at least you could them about everything else you have planned on that day off.

Can confirm. I’ve lied to my manager about a family event or vague appointment to go to an interview. If you’re a good employee they often don’t care.

Some bosses are supportive and will even give you advice on how to handle the interview. Other bosses will view your job search as a personal betrayal. And they may sack you for your effrontery.

1 more reply

To add to this, in certain industries it's totally fine and appreciated to inform your current boss of your intentions.

I'm a cook. If I were to tell my current boss that I was interested in finding another job that had benefits (my current place doesnt) I guarantee he would reach out to his network and help me.

Yes, supervisors vary and jobs vary. Since we were all civil service, it was no skin off my nose if one of the people who reported to me wanted to try for something better. In fact, that was SOP and we all expected it. A couple of those who had started out working for me just out of school ended up in a rather higher grade than me -- and I was pleased that they managed it. Myself, I reached a level that I was happy with and decided to stay there. Any higher and it would have been all budget meetings and city council reports all the time.

14 more replies

I'm a manager. I can tell when my employees are going on interviews when they have mysterious 3 hour doctor's appointments. I can't blame them. Our company is longer giving raises. Got to switch jobs to get paid what they should.

Dude you're amazing. My last manager got on my ass because I requested the day off and she guessed it was for an interview. I appreciate people who understand. Have an upvote.

Lol what could they really say to you? That you owe the company loyalty or some shit?

I understand they can probably fire you or make life hard if they find out but the reasoning is garbage to me, it's basically just business sense that you'll try to find the best opportunity and as long as you aren't skimping on your job, it shouldn't be a huge deal. Taking a day off that they allow you to take isn't shirking responsibilities, it's still following their rules. So dumb to be mad at someone for that.

2 more replies

Or they could be going to doctors appointments...I go to the doctor a lot for various things, nothing super serious but a lot of time sir really does take 3+ hours.

And just so happen to turn in their two weeks notice shortly after.

I don't think I've ever had a doctors appointment last longer than an hour. I guess I'm lucky.

You're indeed very lucky.

1 more reply

I went on a job interview out of state so I had to take two days off. The interview was on a Thursday so I had Friday to check out the city. I told my boss I was going on a ski weekend as a reason. I went tanning to make it look I was on the slopes.

Wow, nice thinking. I'd hire you based on your creativity.

Haha thanks! It felt a bit deceptive wearing ski goggles in the tanning bed but it was convincing.

did you at least get the job?

Got the offer but declined the job. Green Bay was not for me.

1 more reply

same thing happened at my last job. I worked for a moderately popular educational company that has private therapeutic schools all over the eastern seaboard. They do not give raises but also say their pay is competitive with local school districts. It's not true. I (along with 9 other people) left that school and all got between $3k and $10k raises. 10 people may not seem that huge, but the staff size was 30.

It's an awful company to work for and they do nothing to resolve their "revolving door" reputation.

2 more replies

Just excuse yourself with some personal stuff for a couple of hours. Surely someone can cover for you?

Original Poster57 points · 8 months ago

I guess, but what would I say to my manager? I actually only started office work this year so am pretty new to this (was university until last year).

"I have a doctor's appointment"

Skip the word "doctor's", then you can't be caught in a lie. If they ask what kind of appointment, say it's a personal matter you'd rather not discuss.

“I have an appointment” more like it. Doesn’t open anything up for wanting some sort of doctors note or something for those really controlling managers. I’ve been using this for any appointments I’ve had as well as interviews.

Can't do that 10 times

Termite inspection, package you have to pick up at the post office, kid got sick at school and needs to be picked up, cable guy’s coming, flat tire… the list goes on and on. It just has to be something that doesn’t require much explanation and which wouldn’t arouse suspicions. Obviously don’t do them everyday and maybe make an effort to make up your lost time. I’ve had times where every week I had a legit excuse to leave early, come in late, or work from home at least one day, and no one asks anything when I’m back. Just don’t make a big deal about it - especially don’t over-explain beforehand because that looks weird and makes you look like you feel guilty. Just say, “hey boss, sorry, my cable is out and they are supposed to come buy between 12 and 4 today.” Next day, just say they replaced a cable or something if anyone asks.

I don't think it takes ten interviews to land something. Usually if you're getting called in for the interview, as long as you don't bomb it, there's a good chance they already want you based on resume and just want to see who you are. I'm doing this now and so far they just think I'm really sick. I've done 3 appointments so far, all the times saying I'm seeing specialists and can't schedule around it. They've given me sympathetic looks and that's it.

Except in Silicon Valley.. I've been through multiple rounds of interviews at different companies only to be rejected.

Yeah it's probably different depending on the field, I'm just applying for regular old office jobs.

"I'm on my period."

"But deek0146, you're a man...?"

"DID YOU JUST ASSUME MY GENDER?"

I get that you're trying to make a joke, but I hope you also realize that women don't get time off for ovulation.

Ovulation = egg is made ready to be fertilized, uterus wall builds up

Menstruation = period = egg and uterus wall lining is flushed out in a bloody mess

Different parts of the monthly cycle.

Someone trying to get pregnant might plan ahead and request time off on specific days during ovulation.

Someone with really bad period cramps might request unplanned time off (such as a sick day) during menstruation. It's hard to work when you're doubled over in pain.

Ack, thanks for the correction!

1 more reply

No, but you could get 3 or 4. If you're gone 10 times in a relatively short period they're going to wonder what's going on no matter what.

1 more reply

Don't put too much thought into it. Just tell them you have some personal stuff you need to deal with. If they press you and you have to lie, don't over do it on details. Be as vague as possible.

1 more reply

I'm waiting for the super to fix the toilet or plumbing. Personally, I always use the excuse of waiting for the exterminator. Nothing gets people more disgusted than talking about roaches and water bugs.

Lot's of good advice in these responses and all would work well. Here's a (unethical?) tip for you if you want to use a sick day:

Hang your head over the edge of the bed or sit upside down in a chair for about a minute before you make the call. Stay in that position while you're on the phone. Your voice will sound strained and maybe even stuffy. Don't oversell or overexplain, just say you don't feel well. Most times my boss would say "Yeah, you really sound bad," and that would be it.

All you have to do is say "I have some personal things to take care of." You won't want to do that ten different times but once or twice shouldn't be a big deal.

You literally don’t have to tell them what you’re using your days for. They’re a part of your compensation package. If you call in sick you don’t have to say what you’re sick with. You just have to say you’re using a sick day. If you need a day off and you have days off, take them. No excuse required. You’re entitled to them.

7 more replies

Original Poster87 points · 8 months ago

Asking because I am in a job at the moment but I might want to change in a few months' time, but I don't want to quit the current one before I switch (that's what people have advised I do).

I suppose it depends on the field you work in but I always use my lunch hour. I don't have to go at a set time so I just say I have an appointment if the interview is at an odd hour (10 or 2).

My wife has used her lunch hour, and gone in before or after work before.

It really depends on the situation, but a lot of hiring manages have to deal with this on a daily basis, and it's not really that big of a deal.

Think about it, from their prospective, someone who currently has a job is less of a risk than someone who doesn't. If they don't have a job, there's probably a decent reason for it. You already have a job, and you're obviously not a total catastrophe because someone else is currently paying you to work.

So they would much rather deal with working around your schedule, than hire someone who nobody else has hired (and often for good reason) for the sake of convenience.

Take a sick day?

To add to this, how am I supposed to go about submitting my resume for a new job when I list my current job on there in work history? Won't the new employer call the current employer asking about me? Won't this be awkward?

I think most employers aren't stupid enough to do this. They cannot realistically expect that every person looking for a new job has told their current employer they're planning to leave. This is just not realistic. Most of the time, they only call references that you provide for them.

Pretty often on online applications, it asks you if it's okay to contact your current employer.

Original Poster6 points · 8 months ago

Yes this is also a good question

When I applied for my current job I was able to tell them on the form not to contact my references (current employer) until after I’d been offered the position. I think this is pretty common in the UK.

I think this is pretty common in the UK.

I don't think I've ever applied for a job where it hasn't specified that references would only be contacted following a firm offer being made.

I had this happen to me! Luckily the job I was leaving was a temp job, but it made for an awkward convo with my boss.

4 more replies

Vacation time, call in sick if necessary, lunch time, go in late, leave early. Most companies that you interview with will understand your time constraints. If they don't, avoid by all means. Usually, they'll start with a phone interview which you can do during lunch or a break, if you pass that, they would ask for a face to face.

It is not unreasonable to ask your prospective employer if the interview could be scheduled outside of regular business hours. Early in the morning, or in the evening, or even on a weekend. You might feel like you are not worth the trouble, but you are. In fact, merely making this request provides you with some information:

1. If they are willing to accommodate your schedule, that means they recognize the value of hiring the right people, and will probably treat you well.

2. If they can't schedule outside of business hours, but aren't shocked by the request, they will probably be a reasonable employer.

3. If they are petty and remove you from consideration simply for asking, they are going to be a terrible employer who will treat you poorly and they don't deserve your time.

Your question and some of your comments remind me of how I felt in my first job (apologies if I am projecting). I was terrified of having a gap in my employment because I heard that it was looked down upon. Now that I'm older I realize that employers are humans and take a lot of information into consideration and it's not a test you fail if you're less than perfect. At the time I thought I was being reasonable and prudent, now I know it was just fear and insecurity in disguise.

It's worth remembering that when you quit you'll lose any vacation time you've accrued anyways, so burning it all before you go is smart. Burn some of it on interviews.

In most countries with decent labor laws, this is not true. They have to pay out your vacation days. California also has this provision, which is why all the cool Silicon Valley crops are switching to “non-accrued vacation”, promoted as “unlimited” vacation. In reality, most people take less vacation, and if you get fired you get nothing.

i pretend to know things

what does "unlimited" vacation mean?

Just that - there are no preset limits on the number of days you can take off. Your manager must approve of the time, but they don’t count days.

You could theoretically take 51 weeks off, for example, but your manager would never grant that much time, and you’d not be able to keep up with your work if you took that.

The bad part is if you don’t take a lot of vacation one year because work is busy (either not requesting it or your manager denies the request), and then you change jobs the next year (voluntarily or not), then you get nothing for having sacrificed that time off.

In general people take less time off under unlimited plans, because they don’t feel they have to “use up” their vacation days.

The US part of my employer went to “unlimited” vacation the other year. Such a thing would be illegal here (Bulgaria).

At my office, we are required to make a plan at the beginning of the year on when we want to use all our our 25 days, to make sure we actually use them. You don’t have to stick to it, but it’s a big deal if you don’t use your days and they get paid out instead. We can carry over 10 days to the next year.

OR here, you get paid out your vacation time when you leave or get fired. Sick time is a loss, tho - that's why you use it for interviews.

Ah yes, the "sick of this job" time.

Original Poster5 points · 8 months ago

Good point!

Cheek your local laws because here in Ontario your accrued vacation days get paid out at your hourly rate when you leave.

4 more replies

Use personal time if you have it and say you have an "appointment" most people will assume it's medical. If asked you can confirm that it is. (It's a little dishonest I know)

Saying it’s an appointment is absolutely correct. Personal time is just that, time you use for your own personal activities. I would stick with appointment or errands.

4 more replies

I just had this same problem. So I just said I had a doctors appointment to get off work early.

I know this is rare, but in my last job, I actually told my company that I was looking. I'd been there for a long time and had a really good relationship with everyone so they were cool about it and actually appreciated that I gave them the heads up.

I’m a talent acquisition/HR manager and I hold most of my interviews on evenings during weekdays or weekends for this purpose. Gotta respect peoples’ other jobs!

1. Go on your day off

2. Take a day off

3. Take a long lunch

It's a job, not a prison.

Set up the interview to be held at 4:30pm. Then get to work early and leave early that day.

Another option is to be honest with your employer. (Obviously depends on the situation)

It could be the reason you are looking to move is something your current employer could offer: more money, better working hours, new opportunities etc.

Sitting down with your employer to discuss this and that you could potentially leave could mean that they can help you in these areas.

If they can't then you would hope a well adjusted adult would understand your reason to be looking elsewhere.

I have done this for my three job changes. Be honest. Unless your employer is a huge a-hole, they will understand. No job expects you to stay there forever.

I told my boss "I have a job interview"

They knew I was miserable, they wouldn't pay me more, so I told them I'm going to be actively looking for a job.

This may sound weird and may not suit your situation, but I've often been honest with employers when I start looking. There is a sort of natural progression to my professions that makes this possible. So far, my employers have been largely supportive or they've made me a better offer to stay, which also works out. Don't know if this would apply in your case, but it might be worth considering.

Two words:

Dentist Appointment

I literally tell my employer I have an interview.

I tell my employer I have an interview. Good for them to know they don't hold all the power.

Dentist appointment. Easy to ask off. Don't have to be visibly sick like you would for a doctors appointment. No one asks questions when you get back.

Some may disagree with this, but if your current employer isn't still spending money training you I just tell my boss I have an appointment I can't miss. They'll know what it is but I don't really care, it's better than calling off to go to the interview IMO.

Take holidays, sick days, don't show up, whatever it takes. You must prioritise the new job over the old job

• Just say you have an appointment. You're under no obligation to go into details. It will only be a problem if your manager is a complete and utter asshole.

• Use PTO as last resort unless it's one of those all day interviews where they fly you out and stuff.

• A lot of interviewers are cool to reschedule, some are willing to reschedule off hours and even weekends.

Lots of guys I know call in sick or use vacation days. There are also guys though that drop off a resume and if they get a call back they stop showing up all together after that.

Funny thing too,I've never found a job before leaving the one I'm at. I've always quit, gotten my things together for a week or two, then bombed resumes everywhere I was interested. Wait a day and bomb those same places again. Usually nets me a phone call pretty quick.

3 more replies

Don't give a reason. Just schedule your interviews early or late and then arrange to come in late or leave early. And (assuming it's not your normal dress code) leave yourself enough time to change into or out of your interview clothes.

“Dentist appointment”

It’s called a “dentist appointment” :-)

Some places will hold interviews after 5, especially if you ask. One place did group interviews from 6-7 and another one I just asked for the latest time they had available and it was 5:30.

I used my PTO when I was doing interviews before leaving my previous job.

You don’t need to lie. Take a vacation day, or set a Dr’s appointment on the same day and do the interview afterwards. Then, if you say you will be late because of Dr’s appointment, you haven’t lied. Keeping your integrity takes a lot of effort. The more you take the easy road, you become desensitized to it.

I've used PTO/vacation time, or 'doctor visit' as reasons. I know the 2nd isn't exactly ethical, but generally employers won't argue with that.

Just take a sick day, personal day, or vacation day.

That's when the ol sick days come in handy

Take a fake sicky

I used sick days and said I had appointments.

I actually am going to another job from my current one. The final of the 4 interviews was across the country on the east coast on a Friday. I took Thursday and Friday off (I had A bunch of comp days as well as vacation days) to fly to the interview on Thursday and came back Friday evening.

3 more replies

Pull a sickie

Take a day off dummy

I took one day off sick, and another I just came in late and pretended I slept in super badly because of allergy meds and acted super embarrassed.

Yep, this is the problem my husband is having. He's one of the few people at his facility without kids, and as a result often winds up working 16 hour shifts. It's getting extremely old, so he's taking days off here and there to interview for other places, since there's no time to do it otherwise.

Have a sick day

My company doesn't allow you to go to other interviews so the staff here just go sick

"Hey I'm gonna need Wednesday off, I've got a dentist's appointment in the morning and am gonna be down all day."

Then you schedule all your interviews for that day.

Pretty much what everyone else has said. For me phone interviews were done over “long lunch breaks” I’d tell the interviewers in advance I’m planning on doing this phone interview during my lunch break which is an hour will I require longer ? For the stage 2 interview i used holidays or half days . On my holiday form I’d say car service or dentist etc . My former boss said to me you don’t have to tell your current employees the whole truth. If you want just say personal day to sort some stuff out but its up to you.

2 more replies

Yeah, it's not really possible.

People take half days off for interviewing other companies, do phone interviews during lunchtimes etc., but this is really rather ineffective.

What you should absolutely do is keep your CV / LinkedIn / etc. updated (put it onto your calendar, like every 3-6 months, depending on your age and job hopping plans), do all the relevant research on what you want to do, what are typical salary ranges, and so on. So the moment you end one job you can jump straight into interviewing without spending weeks on that.

Call out sick.

I'm 42 and have changed employers a few times. I've organised interviews for lunch time and after work mostly. There is also the classic Aussie option of "chucking a sickie" (taking a sick day off from work when you are not sick).

My last job I told them that I had applied for a government job and the reasons why I was leaving (lack of opportunity at my current job). They understand and were cool with letting me have the time off.

I use PTO for mine. Or I switch parts of my work schedule or work from home.

Also FWIW, you can quit your job if you don’t have one lined up. My GF did that 3 weeks ago. On Tuesday she starts a new job with more responsibility and higher pay. You can do it.

You call in sick. Telling your boss you're going for an interview usually isn't a good idea, unless they are cool AF..

Dentist appointment

76 more replies

Ask away!

r/NoStupidQuestions Rules
Top level comment must be an answer.
Incivility
Questioners must use common sense.
Do not post illegal things.
Rule 2 - question has appeared here often before
No medical advice questions
No illegal things
No shilling
No Tasteless or disturbing questions
Question not asked in good faith