Sign up and stay connected to your favorite communities.

Don’t throw away those old pictures folks! They come in handy later, perhaps when your daughter turns 40! Original picture from 1980...

Do people just throw family photos away?

388 points · 28 days ago

That’s what I’m saying, no one throws away family pictures

Not true. When you clean out an elderly relative's home after they die, you end up with a ton of photos of people nobody can identify. If one decides to keep those photos, then you're stuck with "Wait, who will want these photos when I die ? Besides some random guy on Ebay or the team who decorates Cracker Barrel restaurants ?"

11 points · 28 days ago

I currently have 16 of those plastic bins people usually buy to store Christmas decorations in filled with family photos that I know I will one day have to sort through - problem is every time I crack one of them open, my allergies go nuts.

Storing your photos in plastic bins may be what is causing your allergy attacks - most plastic causes the chemicals used to stabilize photographic images to break down more quickly, and the weird smell that comes out when you open the bins is often the off-gassing as the photos degrade. This goes double if you are storing the boxes in a hot or humid location.

Interesting, I had no idea. Whats a better way to store them?

Most hobbie and officr stores sell acid-free cardboard boxes that are good for storing photos. They're usually not too expensive, and they come in multi-packs!

My uncle cleared my nans house before we could access it when she died. She had hundreds of photos like my mum but I doubt he kept any looking how he treated everything else. It’s a tragedy, I have no old photos of my grandparents or their relatives or if my mum before she was married.

A puzzle for future generations to piece together.

Oh hell yes they do. A friend of mine had a who thing with found photos while we were in art school. Thrift stores usually have a lot of old vintage photos that people just shove in with their other donations its really common

Comment deleted28 days ago
12 points · 28 days ago

That part of it. Another big source is storage units that went into default and got sold.

9 points · 28 days ago · edited 28 days ago

Both of these scenarios are really sad. Its like when I see doghouses on the "free" section of Craigslist. I know it could be a new homeowner that doesn't need the one the previous owners left behind, but I can't help thinking its because ol' rex finally kicked the bucket :(

Life... finds a way to end.

uuhhhh

My dad (now ex-dad due to separation) was a lazy person and never paid our storage unit, which had all of my moms belongings. (Photos, childhood stuff, etc.) No clue were it could be know, it happened so long ago.

I personally collect these, but from both thrift stores and auctions. However I’ve found that most are from estates or estate sales where no family comes to retrieve them. Others are simply “lost”. A couple years ago I started tracing the identities of who was in the photos and have returned many to other family members who had no idea the photos existed. That’s only possible with photos that have things written on them or the ones in boxes that also contain letters and other paperwork. Unfortunately most are simply untraceable and I have boxes and boxes of photos. I started doing it after seeing a couple at an auction and after being told they’d most likely just be thrown away if not sold...i just found that incredibly sad.

You're a great person for trying to track people down and give these back!

Well thanks! It’s honestly a really fun hobby, or at least I think it’s fun. It’s kinda like being a detective and figuring out who’s who, finding them in other photos at different ages and then connecting other things to the photos. I’ve been thinking of starting an Instagram or something for the coolest photos, cause some really are great. It’s also fun to find stuff related to notable people. I’ve donated a bunch and letters to different historical societies.

Does this friend do YouTube?

Dunno. Haven't really seen them in something like 10 yrs

46 points · 28 days ago

I recently threw out a bunch of my husband's grandmother's photos from the 80s and 90s. No one needed to see a thousand pics of the same shit over and over. Pictures like "magnolia tree blooming 1987" x 6 And "magnolia tree blooming 1994" x6 And "kid at picnic in 1984" x6 (literally the same shit out of focus photo of a kid playing on a merry go round)

And "Carl washing dishes, thanksgiving 1987" with ONLY Carl's left leg and half his ass in frame.

What if Carl wanted to compare his 1987 leg and ass to his 2018 leg and ass but now he cant because his picture was so rudely thrown away??

44 points · 28 days ago

This is basically how my mind works when I try to throw things out.

She's super inconsiderate

Hah, I hear you. Everyone, including Carl, who had any interest in grandma's old photos had 6+ months to go through and pick out the ones they wanted!

I love old photos and the memories they carry but seriously, if you wasted entire film rolls on garbage those pics will end up in the garbage down the line!

3 points · 28 days ago

you're a monster

Sometimes they do, especially people going through a divorce. I kept every photo of me and my ex for my daughter later in life, i might not want them, but i'm sure she would be happy to see them.

Worked for Goodwill for a while and can confirm that people donate family albums all the time, mostly found mixed into large estate sale leftovers, i have a large collection of found photos tucked away somewhere that I should really share with Reddit someday

Donate them or copies to the library of Congress. History is history.

I love this. I have a few gems . A b&w late 30's? Girl in rickshaw being towed by goat. A full on halloween costume party at a dentist office in the 70s working on patients in full garb. Lots of wierd white trash family picture's. My favorite is an couple going into a five frame photo booth separately each making tbe same disapointed face for each photo strip.

2 more replies

Who would want someone else’s old family photos?

When my grandma downsized after grandpa passed, she said she filled big garbage bags with photos she didn't want and threw them out. I, luckily, found a shoebox she missed with 19th century photos of her grandparents and other ancestors (some we don't know who they are). We told her she should have asked us before throwing stuff out.

Also, we dumpster dive, particularly during 'cleanup week' and have found boxes full of photo albums. Like, those people actually live there and decided, 'eh, I guess its time to get rid of these' and put them all on the curb as garbage.

It’s funny that we basically get to an age where the younger family members feel like they get to decide when we throw our own stuff away.

With pictures, at least, I don't think that's unreasonable.

Those are definitely shared memories and community property. It’s still a funny concept to me and I’ve seen it in my own family. Hell, I’ve had to start making some decisions for my parents.

They generally tear them in half in they're in a film.

2 points · 28 days ago

must not come from a divorced family

“Ah who needs these precious family photos anyway?”

Yes they do, just look on eBay there are millions

Why would someone go on eBay to buy someone else's family pictures??

Apparently people collect older/old pictures

All family photos nowdays saved in flash memory

If, like many people nowadays, all your photos are stored on your Google account, make sure you include the password in your will.

Make sure that embarassing photo of Spongebob at the Christmas party is on a secure sever. Dont want another fappening.

103 points · 28 days ago

You’ve both aged very well!

5 points · 28 days ago

The father became Luke Skywalker

You were both cute then and you are both cuter now!

Original Poster96 points · 28 days ago

Why thank you!

Was going to be surprised that she’s 40. She looks young. Then I realized I’m 5 years away from being 40 my self.

Damn.

6 points · 28 days ago · edited 28 days ago

I just came to say I dug your facial hair and she was a cute kid and I'm still digging your beard and your daughter is exceptionally pretty. Great genes!

Actually, you I look like you in one of my photos when my girl was about same age yours was, albeit 20 years later. Should I end up like you I will be quite pleased.

Neither of you look near your age. Do you guys not wrinkle?

2 more replies

109 points · 28 days ago

How did you go from looking like Pablo Escobar to Steven Spielberg!?!

18 points · 28 days ago

how did your hair go from brown to gray!?!

BREAKING NEWS: Pablo Escobar nowhere to be found!/s \s Idk

Or Robert DeNiro the entire time.

Nah, he was Nick Mason

Science

Looks like an older Seth Rogen...

I'm seeing ted mosby

289 points · 28 days ago

Dang, she’s 40? She looks early 30’s easy

31 points · 28 days ago

Read that as "She looks easy at 30"

Time for a nap.

She's 40! not 40. She looks good for being 800,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years old.

Oh no, are we going to see this fucking factorial 'joke' everything someone uses an exclamation mark now?

If I had a gold to give you'd get it, just because of the amount of disklikes from people who I presume, don't get the joke

I like what you did. Factorials are fun.

Some people don't appreciate the joke

I appreciate you/your joke.

That chick literally looks like me. I was terrified for a minute because I have never owned that shirt and I don’t know that dude. Then I saw the caption and realized I am but a copy.....

Once saw a nude girl featured on a Postsecret submission who was a taller version of me with different tattoos. I freaked out at how similar her face was to mine!

How you doing?

I am coming to terms with my mediocrity, thanks for asking

2 more replies

Hah! Yeah, mine's turning 38 this year!

Mine is 47. Had her when I was two...

You dog.

50 points · 28 days ago

Get back to writing that final book

I’d say book and half at this point probably

He's not even on the last one yet though....

Your dad is an absolute dead-ringer for Howard Moon. Or a sort of pink balloon shape in a green anorak.

"I'm Howard Moon, coming at you like a monsoon!"

OP's the dad ha

Now that those photos are mostly digital, please back them up at least twice (with one in the cloud). And print your favorites!

2 points · 28 days ago

Print the nudes, cloud the family photos

And if both, encrypt.

Is your dad Robert DeNiro?

26 points · 28 days ago

Your daughter looks 30!

What's her skin care routine?

26 points · 28 days ago

Not sure about her skin care plan, but I have a strict regime.

Step 1: Kill all my naysayers and enemies.

Step 2: Bath in their blood and the tears of their loved ones.

Step 3: Cucumber lotion before bed.

Let's face it, stress is very harsh for the skin. You have to do what you can.

I really hope it's sunscreen & moisturization which will give me hope, rather than just genetics.

The dad when he was young reminds me of the manager from the Flight of the Conchords show on HBO

I really wish I could insert a picture because idk how to do the thing where you post the picture to another site then link it. Anyway, the post directly below this one on my home page is a Flight Of the Conchords painted van.

Who the fuck throws away priceless old pictures? Most people would run into a burning house to save this type of stuff.

Film cameras have a higher resolution than a lot of digital cameras until recently too. That's why you can take old pictures and blow them up bigger and still have it look good. I do 4k scans of all my old film pictures.

She's not 40!!!!!!

-- Signed person in your daughters age range.

1 more reply

40 and checking her pulse regularly I see.

Comment deleted28 days ago

Hey, DrySign9, just a quick heads-up:
embarass is actually spelled embarrass. You can remember it by two rs, two s’s.
Have a nice day!

The parent commenter can reply with 'delete' to delete this comment.

6 points · 28 days ago

Apparently not, since they commented ‘delete’ and you’re still here.

3 points · 28 days ago

Baleeted.

DELLETTE

Is OP’s daughter Emma Caulfield?

That's what I thought.

Thank you, that’s what I was thinking too.

I’ve recently started scanning 35mm negatives of old family photos. So satisfying to see them come to life on the screen. Great photo Rick!

Is that the little girl from Kindergarten Cop?

"I'm not a police officer. I'm a princess."

Is it just me or does that guy look like an older Seth Rogen?

I'm getting a slight Julia Roberts vibe from the daughter.

Original Poster3 points · 28 days ago

Wow! RIP my inbox.. I did not expect this to blow up and turn into my most upvoted post ever. Perhaps I’ll should put my daughter in all my posts! Thanks for all your comments, yes she is actually 40 and I’m 61. The tee shirt picture was taken when she was about 2 in 1980ish. She’s a great daughter and good friend. No I don’t know what her skin care routine is, nor do I know what a roastie is.. All I can say about skin care and health is don’t smoke!! And no, I’m not Robert De Niro or Steven Spielberg. But a family a couple years ago wanted a picture with me because they were convinced I was Richard Dreyfuss and they wouldn’t take no for an answer. So, there’s a fake Dreyfuss on a mantle somewhere.. The picture taken last night at my daughter’s B Day party by my brother, who I need to share the karma with. So here it is folks, Be the person you want your child to be. It’s a good life. Thanks!

Old Seth Rogen

She’s gorgeous- I see a little Juliette Binoche :)

2 points · 28 days ago

Happy birthday! I turned 40 over the weekend.

2 points · 28 days ago

Hottie

Great pic!

This is cute af

2 points · 28 days ago

Everyone else is wrong. She looks like Embeth Davidtz.

You guys age well

Wow, the both of you hit the good gene lottery! Very youthful looking.

2 points · 28 days ago

I can't anyway, they live in the cloud

She is beautiful. You still look good, too!

Meu deus é o Julinho da Van

hauaahauah igualzinho brother

She looks great!

2 points · 28 days ago

Gorgeous women!

2 points · 28 days ago

Happy Birthday!!!

why the hell would you throw away a photo of your daughter as a child?

Is that old Seth Rogan?

She is beautiful.

Julinho da Van?????????????

Seth Rogen makes a kickass grampa

How awesome.

40!

This photo makes me happy. You and your dad are adorable!!

Edit: just realized Dad is the OP. Therefore you and your daughter are adorable! Happy birthday to her! I’m a 1978 gal, too!

Original Poster2 points · 28 days ago

Congrats!! And thank you.

Is that Robert De Niro and Sandra Bullock?

Beautiful lady, wonderful dad for keeping the old picture and making the new one. I'm sure she'll treasure both photos for a long time.

Original Poster1 point · 28 days ago

She made me give her the shirt...

Well good for her. And for you. Congratulations.

So adorable.

Her dress is lovely

You both aged very well!

2 points · 28 days ago

What happened to his cool wavy hair?

Original Poster1 point · 28 days ago

I have a few left...

Turning 38 this year

I feel like it's sad that the first thing I thought of was that they're also great for funerals... but that's mostly because I ended up being the one to go through all of the pictures for the photos of my dad for his memorial.

Your 40 year old daughter has a 20 year old face

She looks kinda like Abigail Savage...at least to me

I really really hope I get to live long enough to watch my kids all live full happy lives.

The one thing I will never do now that I have a 10 month old. I am super hyped to be able to do this with my son. I cannot wait.

you both look exceptional!! the cutest pair

People think they are going to have access to their digital photos forever. I've got in a few arguments with people who think cloud services are magic. There are just so many issues; companies going out of business, accidental or malicious deletes, operational issues. Not that letting pictures rot in a box is perfect but neither is digital. It's really hard to keep data around for a few decades, much less 50-60 years.

Wow you're gorg

I kept trying to swipe my screen clean cause I thought the freckle on your arm was dirt.

I was about to be like if the picture was taken in 1980 and she’s turning 40, wouldn’t that mean this was posted in 2020. For some reason, my brain decided that if a picture of a small child is taken in 1980, that’s the year they were born

The father looks like "my name is earl"

6 points · 28 days ago

And what’s r/oldschoolcool about this again? Nice family photo though.

4 points · 28 days ago

I just missed my dad :'(

6 more replies

This is what life is all about. Just very cool

U can't fool me Robert Dinero

40! = 8.159152847

4 points · 28 days ago

Came here for the r/unexpectedfactorial

I'm gonna hugely regret not taking many pictures in my high school years. Even now at 21 I'm still not taking pictures. I'm gonna want to see them when I'm 40. The whole "live in the moment" mindset has some truth but it's mostly bullshit.

No bib overalls???

C’mon, OP.....

OP is a hot 40

No one throws family pictures away...

Is this Lakeview tavern?

Wut. I'm 30 and pretty sure I look older than your daughter

OP, teach me how to live to 815915280000000000000000000000000000000000000000 (40!)

1 point · 28 days ago · edited 28 days ago

So eh did you play Nintendo? Or were your parents too greedy :p

Young me, now me

She lookin fine af

Who throws away old photos?

Your young Dad looks like Nick Mason, the Pink Floyd drummer 😎

I play a ton of pool all over the country. Would this man's name be Jon or Joe and be found in WA?

Come in handy when your future children want some easy reddit karma.

Not old, not cool.

You look like an older version of Seth Rogan

Your daughter (present time) is looking fly as hell! You are looking, I'd dare say, just as fly! If i were a rich bisexual deviant I would be propositioning you both for some pleasant time-spending right now!

Alas, I have no money.

Please show your daughter this comment, you're both grownups!

Your daughter is cute

The Grand?

She's really hot for 40, gaaahd daaamn

I bet there's a bell shaped curve, along which embarrassment of childhood pictures peaks. I assume this is around teen years, then tapers off into adulthood.

Great pic, OP! I have one from holding my oldest son in one arm by the pool and Dad next to me. We will definitely have to retake it sometime, since he's grown 26".

Original Poster1 point · 28 days ago

Thanks!

-1 points · 28 days ago · edited 16 days ago

Your daughter is gorgeous.

(Edit: why did I get down voted?)

0 points · 28 days ago

Wouldn't she be 40 on 2020?

She must have been 2 years old in the picture

1 more reply

16 more replies

/r/OldSchoolCool **History's cool kids, looking fantastic!** A pictorial and video celebration of history's coolest kids, everything from beatniks to bikers, mods to rude boys, hippies to ravers. And everything in between. If you've found a photo, or a photo essay, of people from the past looking fantastic, here's the place to share it.

r/OldSchoolCool Rules