[OC] Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom (250x150px)

105 points · 7 days ago

Beautifully done

Original Poster18 points · 7 days ago

Thanks a lot

Could tell it was traced from a mile away, if you line it up with the original screenshot you can tell immediately all that was done was a few tweaks here and there. Tracing over a still image in a new layer in photoshop isn't art.

Original Poster2 points · 5 days ago

You are wrong in so many ways my friend. I've made paintings since a kid and never traced a single one, because it takes all the fun out of it.

My apologies if so, seen a lot of tracing going on in this sub when browsing. I too use reference pictures to help aid in making my art sometimes, never traced either, so I was probably too quick to judge after reading the above comment.

Looks so good people think it was traced, I guess that's kind of a compliment!

I just tried this, it's quite different. The bags change shape, especially those on the right. It'd have to be quite a lot of "tweaking" if it was traced.

If it looks good its art. Acting like there is some superior method to create pixelart style images is dumb

Quite so. Complaining about the method by which an image is produced is something akin to getting mad at someone for drawing a straight line with a ruler.

The colors look so natural! Great work op (ㅇ-ㅇ)b

Original Poster12 points · 7 days ago

Thanks a mill!

Because it's not pixel art and it's a screenshot with 2 or 3 steps on photo shop. It's no more art than if I take a photo of the Mona Lisa and put a insta filter on it.

63 points · 7 days ago · edited 6 days ago

first glance with my morning eyes and I thought the background was real and the foreground added over it. you did a really nice job here OP.

9 points · 7 days ago

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Great job OP!

I had the same experience. OP truly nailed it with this one.

It looks so real because it's a pixelized still from the film. Not true pixel art

Really neat! What was your work process? How did you do it?

Original Poster21 points · 7 days ago

Glad you like it! Here you can see a few steps: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kd03A

0 points · 6 days ago · edited 6 days ago

It's from a movie dude,

My very favorite movie! This is very pretty.

I always tell people it's a perfect movie. Not necessarily the best movie, but it's perfect in that it does what it sets out to do flawlessly.

Wes Anderson in general.

Original Poster4 points · 7 days ago

One of mine as well, thank you!

For a moment there I thought it was a still from the movie and this was /r/accidentalwesanderson

It is a still from the movie, just with a pixelize filter.

There’s A LOT of scrambling here, especially in the yellow suitcase. You also probably used about 80 colors. A good copy of a picture, but I’m having a hard time enjoying it as pixel art.

It's a very close copy of a still from the film

Original Poster-2 points · 6 days ago

If you check my ArtStation and see the step by steps, you can see that scrambling was the foundation of it. It's more of a 'painting' than an geometrical pixel art.

Geometrical doesn’t mean pixel art though. If you intended it to be more of a painting, you could have put it in /r/art as a digital painting. You deliberately put it here, so that doesn’t really make sense.

Original Poster-2 points · 6 days ago

I didn't exactly mean geometrical, but you get it. This was an experiment, my other pixel artworks don't look like this. This was made at a pixel level (with 1pixel pencil), please look up "pixel art definition online". Just because this isn't aestheticaly pleasing for you doesn't make it unworthy for this subbredit, u need to chill my man.

Perfectly chill here. I just gave my critique, and when you replied, it seemed like you didn’t even intend for it to be pixel art, but you put it on the subreddit anyway. I also didn’t say anything about aesthetically pleasing or not. Just pointed out dirty scrambling and an excess of colors.

Its shit. Ten minutes work tops in Photoshop for the same result on any picture on the internet.

7 points · 7 days ago

Photo realistic pixelart. You drew it and I name it 😊

Original Poster2 points · 6 days ago

I appreciate it

Only problem is that he didn't draw it, just pixelized a still from the film

Ok than:

Photo realistic pixelart. Some one created it and I name it 😊

5 points · 7 days ago

Holy moly guacamole!

Original Poster3 points · 7 days ago

Thank u!

Moonrise Kingdom is one of my favourite films and I really love pixel art - so you've combined both so beautifully! Love your work and definitely keep it up, so interested to what you'll come up with next! (Hint: Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr Fox, pretty please?)

Original Poster2 points · 6 days ago

This is actually my second pixel artwork ever, I always wanted to see this scene into a pixel art so I experimented with this medium, thats why it doesn't look perfect. But it's still one of my favorite pieces. Thank you for the awesome feedback though! (I plan to do it soon, keep an eye. On this subreddit)

Has a neat kind of Sierra feel to it.

Have you considered doing it in a more vibrant, reduced palette like an old video game? (could easily be replicated with a palette reducing program)

The palette in this is brilliant, I was also wondering how many colours it is, it doesn't seem too excessive but would probably be cool to try with different palette limitations.

Seriously thought this was a screen from Secret Island of Dr Quandary.

Honestly too many colors and too noisy _for my tastes_, but the specific colors themselves are quite good, and the rendering is too.

Real charming movie too.

C’est Le temps de l’amour, le temps des copains et de l’aventure....

Original Poster2 points · 6 days ago

Been listening to it a lot, now that summer started smh

3 points · 6 days ago · edited 6 days ago

Nicely done. I live less than 10 miles from the actual cove in Rhode Island where they filmed this scene. 41.479583. -71.361238

3 points · 6 days ago

Great work. Great use of dithering and antialiasing. Your shadows are great and ad so much depth to the image. Reminds me of Jim Sachs work.

Not exactly.... It's a straight pixelize filter from a still from the film

Wow, what filter and software was used? This is very nice.

Original Poster1 point · 5 days ago

Ur not the only one saying this, try do that and see how much dofferent the result looks, stop acting like a know it all.

Almost thought it was a photograph until I noticed the pixels in the foreground. Amazing

Original Poster2 points · 6 days ago

Thank you!

Wow :). Really gives a sense of adventure, expansion, fun.

Original Poster3 points · 7 days ago

Thank you, well yeah it's an Wes Anderson movie :')

Woah.

Great job and great taste

Original Poster1 point · 6 days ago

Wow this is amazing I absolutely love it, do you make other art like this? I want to print it and hang it in my room! :D

Original Poster1 point · 6 days ago

Thanks for the kind words. I do, I make digital paintings, pixel art is more of a hobby for me. If you want I can send you my DeviantArt for prints.

Yeah I would love that is there a print version of this?

Wow!

2 points · 6 days ago

Scrolling kinda fast, thought it was a real picture til it really caught my eye. Love it!

0 points · 6 days ago

It is a picture. You mean photograph

2 points · 6 days ago

Wow that is gorgeous! I'm impressed!

2 points · 6 days ago

Awesome! Now do The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou!

Original Poster1 point · 6 days ago

I have made one :) but its a painting not pixel art

1 point · 6 days ago

We’ll I’d love to see it sometime.

This is one of my favorite films! You did such a great job!

Same here, thank you

2 points · 6 days ago

Wow... just wow. Really, great job all around

Thanks a lot

2 points · 7 days ago

My brain is having trouble comprehending how real this looks

Original Poster1 point · 6 days ago

Its only 250pixels wide, but thank you!

Copy paste garbage. Should be removed from the sub.

Looks like it could be done in Lego.

1 point · 6 days ago

This is photographic. How did you manage this?

Original Poster1 point · 6 days ago

I tried to kinda 'paint with the pencil tool. Treating it like a painting, and refining the edges at the end to make it look nicer. It was an experiment to be honest, my other pixel artworks are not as detailes as this one.

Amazing! I would like to find find the movie!

Fantastic /r/misleadingthumbnails material right here. Great work.

Oh shit, I didn't even realize it was pixel art! I genuinely thought it was a real picture! Holy fuck, what a ride. Masterfully done! :D

Thank you so much!

You are so very welcome! Keep creating, bro/sis, cuz you are amazing at it! :D

Beautifully crafted. Bravo!

Thanks a lot

1 point · 7 days ago

Phenomenal work! :-)

Original Poster2 points · 6 days ago

Bro! The detail!

I want to print this and frame it.

Original Poster1 point · 6 days ago

Glad you like it, message me if you want to buy it on my DeviantArt prints :)

Oh dang, forgot what sub I was in. Looks like a photo!

Original Poster1 point · 6 days ago

I loved this movie. This piece really captures the feel!

Glad you think so!

This is so cool! Never seen this movie but love this scene.

Original Poster1 point · 6 days ago

You should see it, its the perfect movie to watch in the summer (along with every other WA movie)

wow i love this.

Original Poster1 point · 6 days ago

Oh man I would love to stitch this into a large scale cross stitch! This looks great!

Original Poster1 point · 6 days ago

I lowkey want to learn that myself, lol. Thank you!

This looks really REAL.

Love it

Original Poster1 point · 5 days ago

Btw do you have an instagram?

Love this

Original Poster1 point · 5 days ago

Thanks

Use a simple pallette they said! Dont get too detailed they said! Good riddens! Absolute magic!

Original Poster2 points · 5 days ago

I also make that kind of simple pixel art, but this one was more fun. Thanks buddy!

That movie was weird as fuck

Welcome to /r/PixelArt, where you can browse, post, ask questions, get feedback and learn about our favorite digitally restrictive art form, Pixel Art!

r/PixelArt Rules
Art Must Be Pixel Art
No Pixel Art Recreations
Artist Must be Credited
Be Nice
/r/PixelArt posting

We welcome all kinds of posts about pixel art here, whether you're a first timer looking for guidance or a seasoned pro wanting to share with a new audience, or you just want to share some great art you've found. We have just a few rules about posting, so just check those out and then show us what you got!

If you need help on how to post here, check out How to Post Pixel Art on /r/PixelArt, or feel free to post any questions or message the mods.

Notice: Tags are no longer required! Read about the recent changes to this sub!

Resources

Pixel Art: Where to Start - Guide on starting pixel art for complete newbies

Pixel Art Tutorials - Database of online tutorials you can filter by subject

Pixel Art Software List - Comparison of all most popular pixel programs

Pixel Art Palettes List - Download and use in any program

Format for job posts - Must read for people wanting to hire/volunteer pixel artists.

Other Communities