Posted byLead Artist3 years ago
ArchivedModerator of r/PokemonInsurgence

Insurgence Dev Team AMA!

Welcome everyone to AMA 2.0! With your host, The Insurgence Dev Team!
Now before we start this ordeal let me preface this with a few rules.

RULES
Normal Rules Still Apply!
We have a whole rules page that you should always follow but just in case you do not know what to do, here's our Rules page.
No Asking when 1.1 is out
We know you guys are extremely excited about 1.1 but the absolute truth is we have no planned period when we are releasing it. So please don't ask us.
No Suggesting and no Forming Questions around Suggestions
We have a button/thread specifically for you to suggest stuff to us! Please do not waste your valuable questions by suggesting something.
No Mystery Gift plans questions
We have our own schedule when it comes to mystery gifts, please do not ask us when the next one will be out.

With all that said, let's get started!

Online Developer38 points · 3 years ago

When 1.1 pls?

Lead Developer23 points · 3 years ago

do you have hulu in australia?

Online Developer23 points · 3 years ago

This is bullshit - you're oversimplifying a complex situation to the point of no longer adding anything useful to the discussion.

Comment deleted3 years ago(8 children)
Online Developer20 points · 3 years ago

Here's the thing. You said a "iphone is a phone."

Is it in the same family? Yes. No one's arguing that.

As someone who is a scientist who studies phones, I am telling you, specifically, in science, no one calls iPhones phones. If you want to be "specific" like you said, then you shouldn't either. They're not the same thing.

If you're saying "phone family" you're referring to the taxonomic grouping of phonae, which includes things from Nokia to Sony Ericsson to Samsung. So your reasoning for calling a iPhone a phone is because random people "call the big ones phones?" Let's get Samsung and HTC in there, then, too.

Also, calling someone a human or an ape? It's not one or the other, that's not how taxonomy works. They're both. A iPhone is a iPhone and a member of the phone family. But that's not what you said. You said a iPhone is a phone, which is not true unless you're okay with calling all members of the phone family iPhones, which means you'd call HTC, Samsung, and other phones iPhones, too. Which you said you don't. It's okay to just admit you're wrong, you know?

Does the dialogue in 1.1 ever reach this level of dank?

Online Developer17 points · 3 years ago

Nah, we have forbidden ourselves from using memes/popular references

Wiki Manager18 points · 3 years ago

hue

you mean no Supa Hot Fire? :(

Alumnus11 points · 3 years ago

No, my mixtape is definitely not included in the game.

Good question

17 points · 3 years ago

What inspired you into making a more mature take on Pokemon?

Is it possible in the near future to add the ability of breeding deltas?

Online Developer21 points · 3 years ago

Pokemon kinda needs a more mature take, people have been begging for it for years.

Second one is a suggestion ;)

Wiki Manager14 points · 3 years ago

I feel like there's more potential for an improved storyline by adding more mature themes for this target player-base at least. If we were expecting 5 year-olds to play the game then things would probably be different.

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster11 points · 3 years ago

Pokemon is too cutesy and nice all the time. Since the X and Y storyline it'd be nice to get something darker. 2nd question is a suggestion.

Dope Musician6 points · 3 years ago

At least for me, I like the idea of a more interesting/mature storyline just because that's where I am as a player and I want something that propels me to play the game instead of a glorified minigame for catching/breeding shinies and competitive Pokemon. Plus, with an actual story I feel much more connected to my Pokemon, sort of like a Nuzlocke. Even though for Insurgence I pretty much recycled my team for each gym, but you know. The feels, man.

2 points · 3 years ago

I'd like to build on this question. How much time and effort did you spend making the setting? I've played many fan creations with mature settings that just fell flat because it didn't feel like pokemon, but Insurgence manages to have a mature setting while still feeling like pokemon.

Wiki Manager7 points · 3 years ago

It kind of requires a balance of mature and toned down elements. Even though people expect this to be a mature game, most people are still going to have their past memories of playing the core series. So it's bad taste to have something like a random Pikachu getting decapitated in the middle of a street since it just feels completely out of place.

Lead Developer7 points · 3 years ago

aka snakewood

4 points · 3 years ago

To be honest, Snakewood was the main game I was thinking of when I mentioned other fan creations falling flat.

I think Z/O and Insurgence have struck the correct balance.

Dope Musician2 points · 3 years ago

We've definitely put a lot of time making sure that Insurgence is just mature enough without being ZO levels of over-the-top-ness while still being a darker game than vanilla Pokemon.

What has been the most challenging aspect, either with Insurgence, or Zeta/Omicron, of using the RPG Maker suite?

Online Developer18 points · 3 years ago

RPGMaker XP is an older application, and this shows in games made with it. Developing issues are for example the lack of source control, so only one person can actually do work on the game.

Because the engine is an older one it is often poorly optimized, so it will not run on multiple processor threads, and does not offer full 64-bit support. It also does not offer native Mac or Linux support, which makes it harder to distribute.

Other issues found with it are what IMO are design flaws in the engine. The pause when not focused on the game for example severely hinders our server code, which does not handle pausing well, and it's unfortunately not possible to get rid of it.

I've always wondered about that. Thanks for the explanation.

Thanks for the detailed answer. Been playing through Zeta for my channel (Suze knows about it), and I have to say it is really good. You would never have thought that there were struggles, based on just how amazing a quality the game is. I need to get on and download Insurgence soon as well.

11 points · 3 years ago

Will you add berries trees in 1.1? If you are will you be adding the Ribbons contest?

I'd love a large berry "field" like Z/O had.

10 points · 3 years ago

why is your game that epic?

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster15 points · 3 years ago

Because we have an awesome team :)

Online Developer15 points · 3 years ago

Because we are just that cool

Wiki Manager12 points · 3 years ago

Gotta do the originals justice. Or something like that.

Will we have to travel in time to save the people buried alive in Rezzai Cavern or will we get to help them (or see their corpses) when dealing with the Cult who buried them?

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster9 points · 3 years ago

idk maybe

9 more replies

8 points · 3 years ago

So I can ask when 1.2 is coming out?

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster7 points · 3 years ago

Probably never.

???8 points · 3 years ago

when and how did you guys all meet each other and suze?

Artist15 points · 3 years ago

I met them when I was just a player on ZO, and kept pestering suze with icon sprites until he changed them :p

???4 points · 3 years ago

haha lunar, i know how you met them, we met them together XD

Artist8 points · 3 years ago

When I first discovered Z/O, I didn't quite like the Mega Bisharp and Cacturne sprites back then, so I made new ones myself. Then suze asked me if he can use this sprites in Insurgence, I agreed, and after that I just started making sprites for Insurgence.

Alumnus11 points · 3 years ago

I joined the team when I was posting mirrors for downloads with Zeta/Omicron. The team saw that and asked if I could get the trade server running as they had not had any luck after their last guy just up and disappeared. Got that running, they brought me on to the team, and it's coming up on probably a year on the team now.

???6 points · 3 years ago

oh cool :)

Online Developer11 points · 3 years ago

ZO IRC back when it was first started

Dope Musician6 points · 3 years ago

I joined pretty much by accident, I noticed that whoever did ZO's music was now gone and I messaged Suze like "Hey, I know how to music." I made the ZO legendary battle music and the rest is history. Once Suze wanted me back for Insurgence, I met the rest of the team for deving the pre-alpha.

???4 points · 3 years ago

seems a lot of suze's original team left the project early :/ , but its great he has you guys now supporting him :)

Dope Musician2 points · 3 years ago

Yeah, it does seem so. But hey, I'm glad I had the chance, my music skills have really evolved because of this.

???4 points · 3 years ago

That is great to hear, cant wait to listen to what you have created for us in 1.1 :)

You definately should give us a bonus of what we shall find when the 1.1 releases, Insurgence ingame music is amazing

Dope Musician6 points · 3 years ago

Don't worry, you'll hear new music soon enough ;)

3 more replies

Wiki Manager6 points · 3 years ago

Just used to hang out in the Z/O IRC when it was first created, kept helping with stuff on the wiki and subreddit and met the rest of the guys as more people joined the team.

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster5 points · 3 years ago

I bugged suze back during the beginning of Insurgence Development asking him if I could help him with sprites. Eventually he caved in and gave me some projects to work on.

???2 points · 3 years ago

oh yeah i remember you telling me that :)

6 points · 3 years ago

If you had to choose one delta pokemon, which one you would choose?

Dope Musician15 points · 3 years ago

Delta Muk or Delta Waif-I mean, Gardevoir. Delta Gardevoir.

Artist11 points · 3 years ago

Lol delta Waifu?

Dope Musician10 points · 3 years ago

Delta Waifu is best Waifu

Artist5 points · 3 years ago

You're forgetting shiny delta waifu

Dope Musician8 points · 3 years ago

Any Waifu is good Waifu

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster4 points · 3 years ago

Delta Bulbasaur

Online Developer4 points · 3 years ago

Delta Venusaur, its new iteration is so cute, and it's pretty powerful as well!

4 more replies

Is there going to be any romance in the plot in the future? I feel like this is one of the things that the original games lack :P

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster11 points · 3 years ago

I have a good feeling with whats happening in the anime that the future official games will actually include some romance of sorts. As for this game, maybe, wait and see :P

lol thats one thing that should be in the end of the game :) main guy and the green haired girl (if player chose to be girl then maybe it can be damian or some new person) i just ship them so much for some reason and would love to see the male protagonist and the green haired girl together (i think her name was nora but im not sure)

Wiki Manager10 points · 3 years ago

I feel like if there is, we'll need to do a lot of planning for that event because there's a high possibility of it making a large number of players cringe during the event otherwise.

That's great. Yeah, I guess you can't really add something without thinking about the player.

I'm totally on the ProtagonistMxNora and ProtagonisFxDamian ship, like totally.

1 more reply

Ok so when are we getting the Mecha Shrek? Or has that not been officially confirmed yet?

Online Developer5 points · 3 years ago

Not confirmed yet

How much are you guys planning on expanding the cults in the game? Are they all going to be as substantial to the plot as the one that ended 1.0?

Online Developer11 points · 3 years ago

Well yeah, the storyline mostly revolves around the cults.

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster4 points · 3 years ago

Will we be able to use ability capsules to access a pokemon's hidden ability in the future?

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster6 points · 3 years ago

Maybe!

If there was one thing you would go back and change about Z/O, what would it be?

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster17 points · 3 years ago

Redo every fakemon to look amazing and not awful.

Artist7 points · 3 years ago

Same here, dear god the Arceus-Plate-Legendary...things looks flat out bad.

Wiki Manager18 points · 3 years ago

Fix suze's grammar/spelling.

Artist2 points · 3 years ago

Fix the pokedex order xD

???10 points · 3 years ago

How do you guys feel when people say pokemon zeta/omicron and insurgence are the best fan made pokemon games ever created?

Dope Musician15 points · 3 years ago

I feel kinda proud, like I did this and people are calling it the best. Also, funny story. There are a few people from my university who play ZO/Insurg and they freaked out when they found out I'm the music guy.

>implying they didn't freak out just because you're the man.

Also, Delta Waifu is a must now. It should be DLC with the OST ;)

Dope Musician5 points · 3 years ago

This man gets it.

Delta Waifu is already a thing though, haven't you played the demo through already? Or have you been too busy broducing (read: browsing reddit and/or talking to grills) without me?

But it's not in the superior body-pillow form.

And yeah man :( too many grills, too many reddits, and too many dank memes.

Dope Musician7 points · 3 years ago

That's just the Mega form. You'll see in 1.1.

Just remember, no matter how many grills you have and how many reddits you eat, JET FUEL CAN'T MELT DANK MEMES

???3 points · 3 years ago

oh thats really cool :D

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster8 points · 3 years ago

Awkward because there's a lot of amazing fangames out there that deserve some attention as well.

Online Developer8 points · 3 years ago

/r/PokemonMelanite, /u/rayd12smitty, we are all waiting for the update!

The thing with Melanite, and most other fan games, is that it is still just a short demo. I've seem so many games like that get that far and have a lot of potential but then just not ever get finished.
Zeta/Omni are clearly the best fan pokemon games just on the fact they are the only 100% complete ones afaik.

Online Developer5 points · 3 years ago

There are actually quite a few completed Pokemon Fangames. I'll recommend you check out Pokecommunity!

Since there are so many, is there a way to view the ratings, so there isn't time wasted downloading and starting shitty ones? Or suggestions? I have already played pokemon reborn up to the current release while waiting for the update for Insurgence. That one is really interesting. I've also played a few mods.

Artist3 points · 3 years ago

You kidding? I'm still shocked I'm a part of insurgence half the time

3 points · 3 years ago

I know you guys were talking about doing a bunch of server work last year, do you have any plans for any stability improvements or features for online battling or trading in the pipeline? Probably aimed more at /u/cmdrd and /u/deukhoofd.

Alumnus3 points · 3 years ago

Right now we aren't doing any direct work on it, but we're looking into what the best future development path for it will be in terms of features and functionality. Mostly comes down to a matter of time, experience, and manpower.

1 more reply

A question for /u/deukhoofd.... since you were the best trainer of them all (according to other mods) which was your favourite first team?

Online Developer11 points · 3 years ago

My favourite first team? Ahhh, back in the days of Pokemon Blue. Charizard, Pidgeot, Articuno and HM slaves.

...and HM slaves. lol

If you had to choose one of the cults to be a member of (talking about cults in the beta idk if you added more), which one would you choose and why?

Wiki Manager10 points · 3 years ago

Abyssal. I just want to go swimming.

I'm surprised you wouldn't stay true to your lord Giovanni

Wiki Manager7 points · 3 years ago

Bruh you can't just say "If you HAD to choose one" and then call me out for being the only one to actually read the directions.

Artist12 points · 3 years ago

im with the cult of stunfisk,

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster7 points · 3 years ago

I don't necessarily think I would want to be part of any of the cults, they usually end out in something bad.

Online Developer4 points · 3 years ago

Cults are bad.

Comment deleted3 years ago(7 children)
Wiki Manager8 points · 3 years ago

No. Space and dying both terrify me :(

Alumnus9 points · 3 years ago

Hell ya! 10 years, infinite money, and not burdened by ethical laws, bring on the immortality research funding!

But related to this question, I would love to go to space someday. I look forward to the day, if it's in my lifetime, that space travel becomes relatively commonplace.

Dope Musician6 points · 3 years ago

Hell yeah I would.

Artist5 points · 3 years ago

Eh, as long as there's internet I'm fine :D

That said, I'd probably spend all that money to make a wormhole and go back to Earth lol... if I didn't mess up and fell into somewhere unknown.

Online Developer9 points · 3 years ago

Sounds like an unethical experiment, I'd sue NASA.

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster10 points · 3 years ago

Yes. Ten years is enough to take over the world right?

5 points · 3 years ago

Whats your most memorable ban or report that you got on this sub? I remember deuk tweeting "I'm not your mum" about a report.

Online Developer8 points · 3 years ago

Well, there was this

Artist6 points · 3 years ago

Omg that is classic. Did someone not realize we were kidding?

Dope Musician8 points · 3 years ago

I really hope they did. Otherwise, wooooooow...

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster5 points · 3 years ago

The whole Fabio/reehkadol escapade was pretty memorable. He took a simple joke and blew up.

3 more replies

If you could offer any piece of advice to anyone else taking on the same role as you in developing their own fan game, what would it be and why that piece of advice?

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster7 points · 3 years ago
  1. Always do something once a day. If you sprite, then do it once a day. If you take a break you most likely will take a hiatus instead.

2. Use plenty of references for everything. You'd be surprised how many times this has saved my ass/improved my spriting.

3. Never be afraid to try something new, you never know when something as simple as using a new software can change your whole perspective.

4. Have fun, if you are not having fun do something else!

5. Never give up! It's crazy how many people give up on their dreams because they don't think they can do it. You have the potential to do anything, just try it!

Online Developer6 points · 3 years ago

This is basically my mentality with drinking.

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster3 points · 3 years ago

Omg that's pretty accurate to drinking :o

Online Developer3 points · 3 years ago

Plan your story out before you write the game. Otherwise you'll end up like Snakewood.

Two questions what was your inspiration behind the creation of most of the new megas? second question can lunar come to my birthday?

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster3 points · 3 years ago

Mega Miltank was first drawn by my girlfriend after going through a Google Image Search of Mega Miltank.

Mega Gothitelle was a combination of /u/Zero_Breaker's original design and my attempt at fixing it. My inspirations were from Mermaid Dresses and believe-it-or-not Kim Kardashian.

Online Developer2 points · 3 years ago

Of course he can!

Artist2 points · 3 years ago

When's your birthday ;) I'm inspired by mythology

6 points · 3 years ago

What do you guys think has been the most difficult process in creating a game like insurgence?

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster11 points · 3 years ago

The will to do it and getting a team to back you up during hard times.

Dope Musician8 points · 3 years ago

In my opinion, it's probably the most difficult for Suze to take all of our ideas (both devs and players) and implement them in to the game. And we've had some really farfetched ideas (cough project greek letters cough)

farfetched

farfetch'd, get it right

8 more replies

Wiki Manager6 points · 3 years ago

Probably enduring leaving smaller but still easily noticeable bugs to be fixed in a future update, tbh.

Alumnus4 points · 3 years ago

Time is the big one for me. I have tons of stuff that I would like to work on and provide for the team and community, but there just aren't enough hours in the day. The other thing is staying motivated and on task when there are so many ideas floating around.

Artist5 points · 3 years ago

TIME. I wish I can quit everything and just sprite all day long.

Artist3 points · 3 years ago

Like cmd said, it's definitely time. I'm still in school and lately tests/sports/life have made finding spriting time harder

hey /u/mrsinger186, what program do you use for the music you make?

Dope Musician4 points · 3 years ago

My preferred program is Ableton Live but since I've been without it at school, I've become pretty adept with Garageband. If you want to hear differences, ZO Legendary Battle, Cave and Gym Leader music was made with Ableton, and most of the other Insurg music (Intro, Shade forest, vs. Jaern, Rezzai Desert, various cult music) was in Garageband.

Dope Musician2 points · 3 years ago

Here, I have one for y'all not really pertaining to Insurgence but still:

Devs, if you had to eat a meal for a week, what would it be? For... science.

EDIT: replying to my own question in case anyone was curious, probably Jambalaya and biscuits.

Wiki Manager12 points · 3 years ago

Pizza, if only because I've done this before so I know I could do it again.

Dope Musician6 points · 3 years ago

Good man.

I like you, sir. If I had to choose one food for the rest of my life, I'd say pizza as well.

Artist3 points · 3 years ago

Pasta

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster2 points · 3 years ago

Dragon Roll Sushi.

Artist2 points · 3 years ago

Roasted unagi with stir-fried eggs and rice. I can eat that for a whole year.

3 more replies

Did you know that those 4 pokemon would be the starters all along? What was the design process for them like?

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster3 points · 3 years ago

I'm pretty sure since the story was written those were the starters. Designing them was a hell of a process the first time around. But since I've been able to fix a lot of them, I'm much more proud of them than I was before.

Wiki Manager3 points · 3 years ago

Pretty sure the original idea was to have 3 Deltas for starters and they then evolved to Bulbasaur/Charmander/Squirtle before getting their typings set in stone.

Eevee was completely unexpected, however. I'm pretty sure suze added that as an option for the people that are opposed to fakemon in general. Mega Eevee was created after a conversation between mnky (someone else may have been there, I can't recall) and myself about having an Eevee that was freely able to change between its evolutionary forms. Suze liked the idea and then implemented it after brainstorming with us about how we would implement this ability.

Dope Musician2 points · 3 years ago

We knew about the four starters since we had the idea in pre-alpha, it was kind of humorous to see what people thought they would be. And if I remember correctly, some people came pretty close. I'm not sure about the spriting of them but the cries were pretty easy to do.

Dope Musician2 points · 3 years ago

@Anyone who wants to answer:

What is your favourite piece of Insurgence music and why?

Wiki Manager3 points · 3 years ago

Well it used to be the title music, but after having the game open in the background for like 2 hours while I was working on other things and having to hear that on repeat, I think that I prefer the Suntouched (Cloud layer) music more now :P

I will say that I absolutely can't stand the Pokemon Center music after having to listen to it EVERYWHERE during alpha testing.

Online Developer3 points · 3 years ago

Holy shit that was bad. I still can't listen to it in any game.

Dope Musician2 points · 3 years ago

Well, I can't seem to make a better one. But I know the struggle.

3 points · 3 years ago

Definitely the intro.

Alumnus3 points · 3 years ago

I would have to agree with Echo on this in regards to the new music that's in the pipeline. Singer has done an excellent job with his new material.

1 more reply

The music that plays on Mount Press ext. in Z/O and route 4 here, because it just sounds so damn epic.

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster2 points · 3 years ago

One of the recent new ones that /u/mrsinger186 made, it's pretty fucking epic.

Dope Musician2 points · 3 years ago

Are you talking about the most recent one or the one before that?

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster2 points · 3 years ago

Both! :D

Dope Musician2 points · 3 years ago

:D

Also obligatory "You're goddamn right"

2 more replies

Which dev of you all is the best in playing pokemon? Also, Which one of you completed the game first (before it was released for the general public)?

Online Developer4 points · 3 years ago

Probably Rocket

Probably me

Alumnus3 points · 3 years ago

I will concede that I'm definitely the worst on the dev team. It's pretty much "if we were recruited based on how well we played or how good our knowledge is, I would not be on the team" bad. :P

Wiki Manager2 points · 3 years ago

I think Deuk finished the game first but Halo's likely going to be the first to finish from here on out considering he abused the hell out of the Secret Base trainer before suze restricted the Audino's levels...

Online Developer5 points · 3 years ago

Pssh, Halo needs to download the game first, and with his internet that will take a while.

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster2 points · 3 years ago

I'd say deuk was the most experienced, he had a horribly strong Garchomp.

Dope Musician2 points · 3 years ago

I'm good at making music, not a good Pokemon team. I guess, I'm relatively active in Pokemon Turf Wars so I have some experience in competitive battling. As for the game itself, I was probably one of the last to finish it and I probably will continue to be.

1. What is your favorite official Pokèmon game/generation

2. What do you think about Pokèmon Reborn and/or Uranium grabs popcorn (can pick another Pokèmon fangame if you want)

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster3 points · 3 years ago
  1. Generation: Johto. Game: X and Y

2. Pokemon Reborn Has an amazing fucking story compared to ours IMHO also the dialogue is well thought out. Pokemon Uranium Has some really interesting fakemon and map design that I thought we couldn't top until we noticed that the tileset they use is part of a huge public tileset that anyone can use.

Online Developer2 points · 3 years ago

I disagree about Reborns story, I honestly think ours is better than them. I love the challenge Reborn offers though, it's a great game in that regard.

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster2 points · 3 years ago

You're probably right, I just don't think our animations, art and dialogue portray our story very well.

3 more replies

Wiki Manager2 points · 3 years ago
  1. Also going to go with Gen 2 here, specifically Crystal if I had to choose. I started with Pokemon Blue but the hype was unreal when my friends told me that G/S was announced. I'd give almost anything to go back to experiencing those games all over again.

2. I'm a pretty big fan of Reborn because of how well polished nearly every release has been. The story keeps bringing me new surprises and the graphics are top tier. The difficulty also keeps the sadistic part of me entertained :P

I haven't played or seen playthroughs of Uranium so I'm afraid I can't comment on that one.

Artist2 points · 3 years ago
  1. Definitely Unova, it's the first region I've played ever since Sapphire around 8~10 years ago. And B2/W2 are my favourite game, of course.

2. Haven't played much Pokèmon fangame, so yeah shrugs

1 more reply

What countries are you guys from?

5 more replies

1. how did you come up with your names?

2. could you guys post photos of your selves (if you want) to your twitters?

3. (i know this was in the last AMA but a lot of people missed it) how old are you all?

4. when is 10.1? i need the memes

Alumnus2 points · 3 years ago
  1. From playing Supreme Commander

2. Nah, but frankly, an enterprising individual could likely track down old IRL pictures of me online if they really wanted to

3. 24

4. When they are so dank my mixtape stops being on fire

8 more replies

what do you guys do for your fun time and any other favorite hobbies.

5 more replies

3 points · 3 years ago

how large is the new update?

Online Developer4 points · 3 years ago

About the same as the game is now.

File size wise or content wise?

Online Developer3 points · 3 years ago

Both

1 more reply

What do you develop in? Do you use an API like Unity?

Online Developer4 points · 3 years ago

RPGMaker XP

Alumnus4 points · 3 years ago

The game is developed using RPGMaker, the Pokemon Essentials toolkit, and the programming is done in Ruby.

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster2 points · 3 years ago

RPG Maker XP - Pokemon Essentials

So how much internal testing do you guys do with the new Megas/Deltas? How much time, if any, to you spend talking about the implications of it on the metagame?

Wiki Manager3 points · 3 years ago

Testing with Megas/Deltas doesn't usually occur until they're actually made available to us during alpha testing, though I believe suze does do some amount of testing to verify they don't crash the game or anything. I'd like to do more testing to prevent cases where they learn absolutely 0 new useful TMs, etc. though.

We consider whether or not the mega/delta will be completely broken but otherwise most of us try to steer away from competitive implications since not everyone lives by the meta.

Dope Musician2 points · 3 years ago

We spend a solid amount of time talking about the implications of new deltas/megas/etc. in the meta, but I think Suze is the only one that actually tests them. I've done stats for a few Megas (Mega Zebstrika for example) and I've tried to balance the ones I've made as well as possible.

Online Developer4 points · 3 years ago

We constantly talk about the influence on metagame, it's one of our favourite pastimes. We test the megas a bit, but most if the times they fit in pretty well, so we don't need to tweak them that much.

3 more replies

@echothethird i've watched your stream yesterday. y u no use color palette??

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster2 points · 3 years ago · edited 3 years ago

That shit takes up way too much time and I don't like most colors Nintendo uses. Using my own colors is simple and efficient.

I meant more like in making your own. Helps me with color matching and complimentarity and stuff. Every time you add a new color you add it to a color palette next to the sprite. I mean what would you need the nintento palette for if you dont publish on Nintendo devices anyway.

2 more replies

What are your guys' favorite pokemon, including all the ones that you've made yourself?

Wiki Manager4 points · 3 years ago

Milotic :D

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster3 points · 3 years ago

Official - Emolga
Insurgence - Delta Bulbasaur

I always thought that Emolga was a cool idea. I mean, flying electric squirrel?

Too bad it's not more powerful.

Lead ArtistOriginal Poster5 points · 3 years ago

I don't mind it not being powerful. It's cuteness covers that in my book.

3 more replies

Online Developer2 points · 3 years ago

Garchomp

???2 points · 3 years ago

If you could have 1 pokemon in real life, what pokemon would it be and why? :)

Online Developer8 points · 3 years ago

Correct answer: Arceus, so I can create all the other ones as well

My answer: Mew, it's pink and cute and fluffy and have you seen Pokemon Movie 1? It's just too cute.

If you had Mew you could also have all the other ones. Just only one at a time =(

Artist4 points · 3 years ago

Reuniclus, I can hug that blob of jelly all day long :D

Also, Psychic powers so I don't have to do things myself.

Wiki Manager3 points · 3 years ago

Milotic, preferably shiny. I'd just walk down the street with it and let everyone stare in awe at one of the rarest and most beautiful Pokemon that exists.

It could kick ass if someone tried messing with me too :D

Dope Musician3 points · 3 years ago

For practicality: Salamence. I mean, who's gonna mess with you when you have a Dragon backing you up? Plus I can just fly to and from places very quickly with the Mega forme.

For fun: Probably Arcanine. I feel like it'd just be a big fluffy dog...tiger. Who also happens to breathe fire. And run at Mach 3 or something like that. I bet Arcanine would make me a hit with the ladies.

Artist4 points · 3 years ago

I'm actually tied on umbreon and my new favorite noivern

207 more replies

Welcome to the Pokémon Insurgence sub-reddit! Pokemon Insurgence is a Pokemon fangame made by the creators of Pokemon Zeta and Omicron. Pokemon Insurgence has a unique region, with an enticing storyline, and offers challenging gameplay, for all players.

r/PokemonInsurgence Rules