I wish I had found this earlier in my life. This project features 12 of my favorite power metal singers, and has drastically raised my expectations in music. I’m sure you will all know atleast a few of the vocalists.

Well, The Source hasn't even been out for a year so you've still found it early enough! And thus I say to thee "Welcome, new Ayreonaut!"

"You're in my domain, now."

Original Poster3 points · 3 days ago

I rephrase, I wish I had this when I was younger ;) it would have saved me years of worse music. Lol

It's like the saying most used for girls: You've got to kiss a lot of frogs until one turns out to be a prince.

My ears still bleed from some of the music I've found in the past, but in the end it was all worth it!

Winner All Time Worst Username Award
13 points · 3 days ago

Ayreon - The Day That The World Breaks Down

So that people actually know what this post is.

Original Poster11 points · 3 days ago

Be sure to check out the entire album, as it is all one story, with each vocalist being a character. So much depth and emotion!!

Uranophobic Unicorn
12 points · 3 days ago

Almost all the Ayreon discography is a part of the same story. They're all worth checking out.

Original Poster6 points · 3 days ago

I agree, however I personally find this album to be the most epic. I love the heavy riff orientation, and the choice of vocalists involved. I’m am absolutely in awe of Russel Allen and his vocals in symphony x. Searching his history actually led me to this masterpiece :)

Reminds me of Aina, which seemed to be doing something like this. Check out the Beast Within and the Flight of Torek.

8 points · 3 days ago

Ayreon is my favorite artist of all time, always glad to see new people finding him!

If you like Ayreon, check out Arjen's other stuff:

I discovered them a month or two ago from a post on this sub, and I can't stop listening. This is definitely my favorite album. Combining most of the vocalists I've ever loved with space opera and great instrumentals. It's set the bar pretty high for what I feel like listening to lately...

Found Ayreon a few months ago through their other album The Human Equation and they’ve quickly become one of my favourite bands. Getting something new on every listen!

0 points · 3 days ago

Ayreon cannot be rightly called a band.

Saw them at Graspop this year, the fact they don't play live more often is a shame.

Am I going to get shit on if I say I don't see what all the hype is about? All of ayreons stuff seems to play out a little too over acted or too stage showy. I'm sure it's amazing live, and I can definitely appreciate the gathering of talent in the projects, but I can't seem to get into the story or the music. Sorry, not trying to be a dick, just an opposing opinion. I'd never try to talk someone out of listening to it or anything.

4 points · 3 days ago

I don't think you're wrong, but this is r/powermetal. Over acted and stage showy are two of the thing I'm here for!

I know what you mean. I tend to like the more epic-serious than the epic-cheesy. And that line between cheesy and epic is very fluid for every one. It even changes for me sometimes. Like unleash the archers... Previous albums seem cheesy to me and overacted, but apex seems super serious to me.

1 point · 3 days ago

They've only ever had like one show (3 day, Theatre Equation, best show ever) and Areyon ones 3 day series of concerts last year. So, yes, amazing live, but almost impossible to experience.

They're definitely an acquired taste. Took me a few years to solidify them as my favorite musical act. I would recommend Flight of the Migrator to a power metal fan if you ever want to give them another try.

Personaly i discovered Ayreon with the first album and i fell in love with the style of combined technologics and medievals sounds, and the history is quite interesting, if you can't get in the story try to search for some resumee of it and if it doesnt pick your curiosity then let it be like it :/

Also check out the rest of Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen's stuff. It's literally all great. In the context of power metal specifically, definitely listen to both Star One albums and Flight of the Migrator.

For the appreciation, discussion, and sharing of power metal.

r/PowerMetal Rules