What 3 champions do you NOT use and why?

I always see people posting about their favs but what about least favs, and why? I'd like to see some insight, maybe my mind can be changed. Note that I'm only level 25. I've tried every champion numerous times and here's my 3:

Clutch: I can't seem to get his air strafing down perfectly, and I feel like without that ability, I can't use him to the full extent. Plus, only the RL and RG are effective when using him, it seems. Movement seems to be key with him, and I'm a tad better with Sorlag in that aspect.

Galena: Aside from the fact that everyone seems to pick her besides Ranger, I'm just not that great with her. I think a part of it has to do with the familiarity of the maps. Besides 3 or 4 maps, I don't know the rest like the back of my hand. I'm also terrible at using the ability at close range, not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Slash: I always forget about the channeling passive ability, and even when I do use it, I can never find a good opportunity for it to be effective. I'd rather just use Anarki anyway.

Original Poster2 points · 2 months ago

I know that I said 3, but if I had to choose a 4th, like many others, Strogg is down there too. I also can't seem to grasp his playing style, and it seems far too easy for Peeker to be destroyed.

Just use peeker like a homing rocket.

When you've been here this long, nothing&everything makes sense
2 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

Why 3? I don't use most of them because I only have 4 at the moment (not counting temporary Clutch, which should end today btw)

But I think everyone except Clutch can be used in the right situation.

Scalebearer - don't like his movement.

Doom slayer - don't like his double jump nor his punch.

Clutch - it's Clutch, enough said.

Runner-up: Sorlag, she's bloody useless when it comes to certain jump pads and teleporters. Would like to play her, but she is too much of a hassle right now.

Clutch: his hitbox is too damn big. his movement is cool, but i hate how easy it is to get shot around the corner by fadeaway rocket/railgun blasts. NYX: Slash is objectively better both in ability and movement. Scalebearer: I feel dirty whenever i use his ability, its just too easy to use.

Resident Linux Dude | SPCR Moderator

BJ: Dual Wield is good, but the scream is even more obnoxious when it's tied round your neck.

S&P: Ranger does the same thing the way I end up playing S&P and therefore redundant.

Clutch: If you've ever been told you can't hit the broad side of a barn, make the other person play Clutch. If you still can't hit them, why is a minnow playing Quake?

having character voices enabled

Mistake #1

Resident Linux Dude | SPCR Moderator

I've played years of CoD:Zombies, with equally irritating repeated quotes and no option to turn them off without turning other useful announcements off. Gotten good at drowning them out for the most part.

After unlocking Slash i realized that I could just disable voices. Man it's a relief.

TRIBOLT 🔱 MAFIA

Sorlag - active ability is boring and unreliable

Doom - active ability is boring and unreliable

Keel - slow, boring

8 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

Sorlag is fast, turns insanely well.

Her ability can melt people, but it's best used when you have the quad. Or when someone is chasing you around a corner.

I use the TRIBOLTmafia with her a lot and I think you like that gun

You should try her :p.

Sorlag is a her

thank

i call her slytherin in game i'm lost in my own lore

TRIBOLT 🔱 MAFIA
1 point · 2 months ago

Sorlag used to be useful in sacrifice for area denial.

sorlag is one of the best champions in the game man xD

Not really. Her hitbox is the size of a small country. She's typically considered to be the 3rd best of the 4 tanks. Not quite as bad as Scalebearer, but nowhere near as good as Keel or Clutch.

you cant ignore the whole cpma movement style here. you can get way faster to the major pickups if you master that. so your bigger hitbox doesnt rly matter anymore.

It doesn’t matter how fast you can get there if the other player knows when they respawn. That’s only a valid argument if you assume that your opponents are terrible at the game.

Clutch, Nyx, Doom

Because I feel like their abilitys are cheap and easy to use. Doom double jump is also free positioning advantage in a rocket fight.

I stick with cpma movement champs tho, atm mostly sorlag. because everything else just feels so stiff, slow and dull. I would play Slash If I could, but I cant =(

improving noob

Not that they are bad, just not my style.

• BJ: boring movement

• Strogg: meh

• Clutch: Clutch

Bjs literally the exact same as ranger. Only difference is the ability.

improving noob
1 point · 2 months ago

Yeah, exactly. It's one of the most fun and versatile champ without it's super fun ability, quick cooldown and rj dmg mitigation.

Meh

Slash - because I haven't gotten around to learning her movement properly and they keep changing it

Strogg - his active is very gimmicky and takes me out of the game

Clutch - I don't like being the size of a barn/ he's really only useful in duel which I don't play

pew pew pew

Anarki - I want to mute his stupid voice. WOUK AWT BEROOOoooH!

Clutch - I've found this character incredibly unfun and poorly designed ever since I've started playing this game.

Keel - This character can be incredibly abusive and I just don't want to be a part of that. If I'm playing Keel someone in the match has pissed me off hardcore.

well, if you come to the realisation that QC takes place before Q3 his annoying voice becomes less annoying! in q3 his mouth was sewn shut so his annoyingness makes sence now!

pew pew pew
1 point · 2 months ago

ROFL, that's pretty awesome. I wish the lore was a bit more clear, but it's probably a miracle we even get this much.

Original Poster2 points · 2 months ago

It was never confirmed that canonically, QC is a prelude to Q3. But, I would like it to be. It explains a lot of things, such as Nyx being related to Mynx, Anarki getting older and sewn shut, Keel looking more like a machine in Q3, etc.

Not playing any lights, I just like taking fights close and personal and with lights you kinda need to keep your distance, just don't like the passive-easy-reatreat playstyle. Too squishy.

Also Strogg is a lost cause, would love to see a remake of him with a different ability that is actually useful.

Lost cause? Lmao watch dahang play him

I'm not exactly aware who he is or seen a good video of it being played at full potential, would love to be proven wrong, possible to share a video?

look at the dreamhack tours tournament, specifically rapha and dahang's matches.

Maybe if the ability caused Peeker to start firing together with you?

1 point · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

Fuck it, I play pretty much only one at the moment, here's why:

...because I fell in love with Scalebearer's movement, it's hard for me to play any other champion. Scale allows me (and I still don't know how it works precisely) to drastically change direction (when I touch the ground) and retain my speed. As far as I know, no one else can do that. This fact kind of ruined other champions for me. I also find the passive fun (accidental free kills) and active somehow as well (I use it mostly for the dmg reduction - to retreat).

So:

• Sorlag - I really enjoy her active when I can spit on 2+ opponents, it's just somehow stimulating for me to see their lives ticking away. Her movement though is something I still suck at, but I will play her more in the future, whem I'm better. I like what I see when other people play her.

• Visor - Active is somehow useful (I think actually too strong) and I use him in duels. Also his movement is kind of fun, he's fast. But Scale still wins.

• Galena - Played her a lot before, especially because of the totems, but now I find her kind of boring and somehow slow.

• Anarki - Not interested in his active (just fucking heal, boring) and his stack is just way too small for me. Only thing going for him is the movement, but for that I have Sorlag.

• Keel - Active spam can be fun, but not enough to keep me playing him. He's also slow.

• Slash - I look forward to the day when I can crouch slide properly, some people make it look beautiful and I know I'm gonna have fun with it. For now though, I don't play her, because I just suck. Her ability is fine I guess, because it provides utility (area denial), not just damage.

• Ranger - Never was interested in the active and movement-wise there are other more interesting options for me.

• BJ - Same as Ranger. I guess the ability is cool for what it does (increases your dps a lot), but I just don't find it fun.

• Cluth - Not interested to be a target practice for other people. His active (shield/laser) is not interesting to me. Movement (the passive) seems interesting, but his hitbox....just no:D

• Doom - I'm not really interested in the double jump and I'm certainly not interested in the active ability. His movement (to me) is bland compared to Scale or Sorlag.

• Strogg - Not interested in the active, his passive (healing vials) I think is cool (it can keep you going) and movement-wise he's on the faster side. His movement is still not interesting enough for me to play him though.

• Nyx - I find her ability kind of boring to use and fucking annoying to play against. When she uses it you know you're gonna be hunting her for a while. I would rather if she dissapeared just for 1 second, but spawned her clone (that runs and shoots - doing 1 dmg). Her movement is I think nice (she's fast), but not fun enough to rival Scalebearer.

-2 points · 2 months ago

Are you talking about Pivoting? That exists on every champion.

Not in the same way. Scale can retain speed up to 500ups by just walking forward, whereas others can't. This allows Scale to simply stop strafe jumping, start walking forward and rotate your mouse to change direction while still going at 500ups. On other champs when you pivot you drop to much lower speeds than that.

It is faster to strafe jump. But it is a really great way to turn corners and maintain speed though. It's like being an air control champion but it is a ground control champion. Very cool concept.

very cool if it wasnt for his passive.

who's brilliant idea was it to give the champ that can hurt you by going fast the ability to speed up by just keeping fwd pressed as well as keep his speed in instant 180's...

if you pop a rocket at his feet it will mess up his speed. Which isnt hard to do because he has to stay on the ground to charge. Just dont miss and hit behind him or you could send him flying right in to you.

Anarki/Sorlag - I can put my brain into strafejump mode, Slash mode, or Source engine mode. I really should try adding a 'CPMA mode' (is that redundant?) one of these days.

Nyx - I just get instagibbed in TDM when I pop out of phasewa- uh, ghostwalk. She looks more useful for duel modes where there's less damage flying everywhere.

One more:

Clutch - LG and rail magnet when the shield's down and I suck at double-tapping keys.

cpma movement, or at least what is left of cpma movement in qc, is both strafejumping and bunnyhopping, nothing new.

if you come from source based games you could probably get by using just the bunnyhop, but since you know strafejump already might as well use that to accelerate a little faster in straight lines then switch to bunnyhop.

Slash Totally different movement, which I have not trained at all.

Anarki Annoying little bastard. ;)

Clutch Bad when I started to overpowered (but I have not played him) to apperently OK. Still have not tried him more than a few minutes.

Keel : I don't play him I find him spammy as hell and unfunny. I hate being destroyed by a shotgun grenade combo as a beginning of a FFA or TDM

Scale : don't like the movement, dumb ability

Doom : don't like the movement, dumb ability

Keel: Tribolt exists lol. Scale: Bull Rush feels weird to use and misses more often than not, also his speed going down drastically when trying to move normally is stupid. Anarki: Ability is useless, he dies anyway.

Enter the Arena Eternal
1 point · 2 months ago

Scalebearer: Hate his movement (the weird-ass acceleration)

Any Light Champion: They are way too squishy atm, desperately need starting armor.

weird ass-acceleration

Bleep-bloop, I'm a bot. This comment was inspired by xkcd#37

Enter the Arena Eternal

good bot

best bot

Stoned Fisters
1 point · 2 months ago

I try to play all of them but my least played champs are:

1. Strogg: because he is new and using him in instagib seems like cheating. In other modes he active makes him super vulnerable.

2. BJ: Only way to get use out of his dual wield is if you are using LG(or NG), everything else seems pointless or may be I have habit of waiting for cool down.

3. Clutch: well I can never get him to move quickly and can't use his passive properly. I think that laser thing is stupid, shouldn't be there at all. Shield is enough power already. I still find him useless. I wish he was good champ.

1 point · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

Clutch: His air dodge is actually really cool but his active is only good in certain situations and his hitbox is just so big you die really easy despite the huge stack.

Nyx: The only reason to pick a light champion is for their unique movement abilities like Anarki and Slash but Nyx's movement doesn't quite compare to those two. Also the character seems like it's designed to appeal to horny 14 year old boys which doesn't really do anything for me.

BJ: I get that his ability is really powerful but it's not interesting enough to make me want to play BJ. Combined with the "normal" movement I'd rather play any other medium champion than BJ.

Galena - I feel like to play her optimally you end up playing very passive and cheap, using her active at teleporter exits and corners, and using it as a shield since it takes a second before it can be destroyed

Clutch - His movement is too easy to be rewarding, his active is a buggy mess, and is huge you practically have to go out of your way to miss your shots on him. In a mid range fight against LG you just get melted

Doom - I just feel dirty

Keel: bullshit nades. Bullshit stack

Galena: bullshit hitbox. Bullshit totems. Just OP all around

Clutch: shield zzzz

Clutch, Anarki (and Sorlag), and Slash, mainly because of movement. I'm trying to get a good grip on just base movement Champs before going for the ones that have new mechanics (newish for me, a classic Quake and TF2 player).

Doom is really clunky with his double jump. Not a fan of dumbing the game down by adding literal punching either, I have the same complaint about scalebearer.

Kneel and Scale because i really don't like their abilities, Slash because i suck :( i'd love to play her at least decently but i can't get the hang on her movement.

Clutch - I can't get a feel for the Dodge and shield mechanics to save my life

Slash - Ult is cool but I'm not good with crouch slide

Strogg - The manueverability is good but the Ult seems gimmicky.

1 point · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

Clutch. I'm not confident enough with the movement to accomplish much with the passive abilities. Which fucking rock by the way. I wish I could play them better.

Slash. She is just too much for me. I should change my crouch key :p

Doom. I don't know really. I decided it when I was first killed by him.

Resident Linux Dude | SPCR Moderator

I have "G" bound to a button on my mouse. Within about a minute of trying to learn Slash it got bound as a secondary crouch.

i generally don't do slash/anarki/sorlag. Because I can't really seamlessly switch between the different movement styles. Either I do one of them all day or I do normal heroes. Otherwise i keep mixing up movement types and it just generally messes me up.

Quake Champions, the upcoming FPS from Id Software and Bethesda Softworks