Moderator of r/RocketLeague

Ask Dumb Questions + Newbies Welcoming Wednesday ♥ (2018.05.16)

Welcome to /r/RocketLeague's Ask Dumb Questions and Newbie Welcoming Wednesday!

You can use this post to ask any questions you may have about Rocket League, from advice to controls, any question regarding the game is encouraged. Feel free to introduce yourself if you're new and would like to make friends to play with, so welcome all!

Check out the beginner's megalist of information here!

Want to see our previous threads? Click here!

Sort by
Doing my best1 point · 3 months ago

What's a "double commit"? I've seen people mentioning it in chat but I don't know what they were talking about...

It says I’m in the platinum division but there’s no icon next to my name after games, just an X. What does this mean? I’ve played a lot of games in competitive mode

Champion I2 points · 3 months ago

it's a bug that will be solved in the next patch

2nd season with silver rewards!-2 points · 3 months ago

For all of the newcomers... I can't tell u anything sorry!

Platinum III2 points · 3 months ago

How the hell do I predict the ball when it's above me? For the love of God I can never see the ball when it's above me no matter what camera I'm on. Plus the camera always goes mayhem and changes, I always get lost. Should I just ignore the ball and go back to rotation?

Bronze I2 points · 3 months ago

kinda what the others said, if you're sitting under the ball, you're not going to be able to do much with it, and you're preventing your teammates from safely going because you're not backing them up

Hit balls with your forehead3 points · 3 months ago

Indeed, you should rotate. Even if you could read the ball, there wouldn't be much you could do to advance the play.

Champion I4 points · 3 months ago

Try not to be under the ball like that

Platinum II5 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

Did Psyonix change the way the match ends? I swear it used to end right when the clock hit 0, but recently I've hit a couple of goals from the ground with the clock at 0.

It seems like they added the extra second from 0.99s to 0s, and I'm into it.

I had one game where I noticed the same recently. Was sure the game was over because the clock was at 0 and the ball was in the air but then there was one bounce more than expected.

HoraryHellfire6 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

It's always been that the match ends when the clock hits zero and the ball is touching the ground. If it's in the air, the game will not end yet.

Platinum II3 points · 3 months ago

I know, maybe I worded that awkwardly. The ball was rolling on the ground and the clock hit 0, but I still had time to take a shot. Before, it seemed like the game would end as soon as the clock hit 0 but this time I had a second to get to the ball. I dunno, maybe I was just lagging.

HoraryHellfire2 points · 3 months ago

Sounds like lag to me. If your connection is perfect, or you play locally, the exact millisecond the ball hits the ground, the game ends.

Why do so many high level players use octane as their car of choice?

It's not too tall, not too low, turning radius isn't too large, overall handles pretty decently and doesn't look too bad.... :D

It's your jack of all trades type of a car. It's also a car that has been in the game since the beginning and its stats didn't change much since then. Players got used to it.

In the end it's a matter of preference.

It's not too tal

I thought Ocatne+Hybrid hitbox had the tallest hitbox which made it easier to dribble?

Bronze I1 point · 3 months ago

it has one of the slowest turning radiuses in the game, 2nd only to the batmobile, which is probably the 2nd most used car.

Hit balls with your forehead3 points · 3 months ago

I'd just like to add that the stats thing is a bit of chicken-and-egg. Players main the octane, Psyonix leave it alone to keep them happy, players feel more comfortable knowing they can learn a car that won't change, etc.

How do you add the little tag next to ur reddit name that says what your rank is

Platinum III1 point · 3 months ago

Over on the sidebar. "Edit flair".

Silver III2 points · 3 months ago

I have an older thinkpad that's pretty much capped out at 45 FPS on linux. Does this actually affect my game at all, like how much am I at a disadvantage?

Whoever you are and whatever your skill level having a lower fps does leave you at a disadvantage. For me, going from 60 fps on PS4 to 144 fps on PC the difference was huge, it was noticeably easier to play on PC, the car feels so much more repsonvie. However a mate or mine playing on my PC says he hardly noticed the difference, so it varies from person to person.

TLDR: It depends, but 45 fps is really quite low, so it will be affecting you a lot compared to PC.

Diamond I2 points · 3 months ago

Hello fellow leaguers, to make a long story short I was very terrible for a while so I started grinding a ton of mechanical skill in free play and custom training. Now when I go to play ranked the outcome of my matches is not any better despite the fact that my mechanical skill is ten times what it was. I even get called a smurf often which is very obnoxious when I am not smurfing. My main questions is what can I do to practice my rotation or anything that will help me get more wins in general, I am stuck well below my skill level at the moment.

Prospect Elite2 points · 3 months ago

I suggest playing more preferably in comp so you do not have to deal with AI and every time the ball gets scored don't blame your teammates right away always think "What could I have done earlier that would have stopped that situation?" If you lose a game by a lot save the replay and watch from your player perspective. Watch what you are doing wrong based off how easily they cleared the ball past you or how closely you were to your teammate. I can't say I am that good compared to a lot of people here but if you PM me a game of yours that you lose I can let you know what I am noticing and maybe how to improve.

Edit: Watching my own videos has really helped me noticed how many times I messed up and know exactly where to improve.

Diamond I1 point · 3 months ago

Thanks for the advice friend I am not sure how to send replays Im going to do a quick google search, I would absolutely love it if you could do that for me thank you very much for offering!

Prospect Elite1 point · 3 months ago

Yeah no problem I think you would probably have to load it to youtube and send me the link or something like that. Just message me if you want me to/figure out how to send a video.

Sin of Pride1 point · 3 months ago

If you are on Windows do the following:

1. In Rocket League look at the time and date of your replay.

2. Go intro your Documents/My Games/Rocket League/TAGame/Demos

3. This folder stores all your replays, now to find your replay look for the the file with the same time and date, and that should be your replay.

4. Grab that file and send it to whoever you want!

Note: if you rename your replay, the file will be updated and the file's timestamp will change to the time it was edited.

I know this sounds a bit confusing but I hope it helped!

I hate this game.3 points · 3 months ago

SunlessKhan does a great video on this. Essentially you have your mental ability and you mechanical ability.

You may have good mechanics but if you don't learn to use them well (or can't rotate or other issues) then the mechanics will only help so much.

Honestly its just an issue of practice. Don't be afraid to hit the unranked playlists so you don't feel so pressured while experimenting new strategies and getting comfortable with different rotation techniques.

Diamond I1 point · 3 months ago

Ill check those out, thank you for the advice!

Platinum III2 points · 3 months ago

We're probably near the same skill level and I was your situation as well with having to put the brakes on Ranked to go practice if I expected to improve further.

But, yeah, definitely check out Unranked - you'll get a real good grip on how to most efficiently and effectively put those new skills to use in a real game without the pressure or hesitation. Once that stuff becomes second-nature, no doubt you'll see improvement when you go back to Ranked. I bet it'll do wonders for you.

Good luck! :)

Diamond I1 point · 3 months ago

Thanks brother will do good luck to you as well!

Champion I2 points · 3 months ago

I encounter this one really annoying problem, and I was wondering if there is a way to fix this. Sometimes when I try to simply dodge left or right, rather than do so, the front end of my car flings upwards in the air and my cars stalls completely like some sort of awkward flip cancel. I want to think it has to do with dead-zone or something, but I dont really know how that works.

Champion I1 point · 3 months ago

I think you're accidentally doing a stall flip. By any chance do you have air roll left or right bound to anything? You can do a stall flip by holding air roll left while holding air steer right at the same time. The two opposite vectors cancel each other out and your car stalls. The weird flip/spin comes from you holding those buttons down still.

Champion I1 point · 3 months ago

I dont have air roll left or right bound. Just Air roll on LB. I actually looked up the squishy tutorial on that recently to see if maybe I was accidentally triggering that, but I dont even have those buttons mapped. The interaction that I am referring to is very similar to that mechanic though.

Champion I1 point · 3 months ago

Sorry bro, but I got nothing else :/ if you post a clip I can try again though

Goldfish2 points · 3 months ago

Yeah you might need to adjust your dodge deadzone. I believe the higher the number, the further you have to push your analogue stick.

Champion I1 point · 3 months ago

I see. I will try it out, thanks!

2 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

What's the best controller setup? I've been using default but find it kind of clunky to be pressing down multiple of AXB (xbox controller) at the same time often

EDIT: thanks for the suggestions, I’m gonna play around in training to figure out what works best for me

Platinum III 2 points · 3 months ago

So I use:

X-boost A-jump LB-power slide.

It feels a little more natural to be Hitting x and a at the same time, and you can still hit the slide without sacrificing another control.

I don’t think there’s a “best controller” setup, but if you’re looking for something else, that’s mine, workin pretty good.... Now I just need to be better.

I switched score board to B for some reason.

Diamond III2 points · 3 months ago

It's down to preference, really. I don't how you hold your controller, but I use the "claw" grip. Everything is default, but I changed the bumpers to left and right air roll respectively and put the right thumb-stick to scoreboard.

Grand Champion4 points · 3 months ago

There are a lot of good players who play with default bindings. I will quickly describe my Bindings to you. I have Airrol and Drift on LB, Boost on RB, Jump on A, Ball-Cam on X and Scoreboard on Y ^ Like this, my right thumb can concentrate on only Jumping and triggering the Ball-Cam while I have my two Index fingers for Airroll / Drift and Boost. The Boost on RB can lead to some wrist-pain if you grind too hard though ;) I hope this gives you an idea of what changes you could make to your own setup. Always remember to play with, whatever feels comfortable to you!

I second this and really suggest making sure that boost and jump are used by different fingers. My setup is exactly the same but air roll left and right are Y and B.

Champion I1 point · 3 months ago

Maybe a minor point, but a friend of mine had an xbox elite and his rb button always broke down after a while from the heavy use. Which might be a tip to not put boost on rb.

I'll share my layout: X: boost A: jump Lb: powerslide/airroll Rb: ballcam off/on

since i have an elite I have two backpeddals bound to the joystick buttons and have them on air roll left and right and disabled airroll on LB.

Open net? I'll miss that1 point · 3 months ago

I have 1000+ hours, and have only ever played KB/M. I feel as if I have hit my skill cap (I'm Champion 1, not much mechanical skill) and wondering if it's worth changing over to a controller? Keep in mind i've never been a console gamer (only ever played Fifa/Pro Evo Soccer with a controller)

Platinum III3 points · 3 months ago

I don't know man. At this point, I'd say find your Zen and grind to GC with the M/KB.

You'll be a damn legend.

But, seriously, yeah I'd give a controller a shot - I don't know how some of you guys are playing high-level RL with the KB/M, I feel like it's either really, really impressive or witchcraft.

FWIW, I'm also a 100% PC user, RL is pretty much the only time I use a gamepad.

Diamond I1 point · 3 months ago

Same here, started on KB/m in the early days, switched to controller, feels much more natural, easier to control aerials and off the wall stuff.

I switched at 300 hours and it took me about thirty hours to really get it right but I rank jumped quite a bit after the switch

I play on Xbox one. How do I activate team chat?

Diamond III1 point · 3 months ago

You gotta pause the game to bring up the menu and then hit your right trigger to open up the team chat window.

Thanks, I didn’t know about that. However, I often accidentally say something in team chat without pausing the game. I have no idea how I’m accidentally doing it.

Diamond III1 point · 3 months ago

That's odd.. Do you mean that when you're manually typing something it'll send in team chat or that you're sending quick chat messages in team chat?

Im using quick chat when this happens. It usually happens when something unexpected happens and I spastically use the chat. I don’t know if it’s the timing of the key presses, or if I’m holding down a button somewhere on my controller to activate it.

Diamond III1 point · 3 months ago

You know how when you press one of the directions on the d-pad, it'll open up four quick chat messages for the specific direction? If you press up on the d-pad, those messages are automatically sent in team chat. Hopefully that makes sense!

I’m not sure what you mean. If I click left, then up, it says “nice shot!” How do I differentiate between that and team chat?

Diamond III1 point · 3 months ago

The direction that you press first on the d-pad will open up a certain section of quick chats. If you press left first, it opens the compliments. Right gives you reactions, down gives you apologies, and up is for your team.

If you go into your settings and select the "Chat" tab, this is what you'll see.

Ah I see. Everything in the up/info category is team chat. Makes sense. Thanks for spending so much time on this.

Diamond III3 points · 3 months ago

Exactly! Yeah, no problem. Use your newfound knowledge and spam “What a save!” to your teammates!

Grand Champion since July 29th 20171 point · 3 months ago

Is there a global mmr ranking? Like my mmr is 1525 right now for 2v2. I'm not in the top 100 but I wanna know how far out in terms of # of people I have to beat out. Am I ranked 400th or like 4000th? Just curious as to be global ranking.

Rocket league has this but for goals and assists and shit, but that's so meaningless... its bascually who played most. I wonder what stops them from giving us this information for mmr also.

MARKsmanRL1 point · 3 months ago

The only guess of this can be made by using one of the tracker sites if you use RL Tracker (not the pro one; the one where RL is spelled out fully) you can see skill rating leaderboards. I play far more 3s then 2s and if you are 1525 I would think you would be like idk 500-600th in 3s idk about 2s though because more people play that playlist...hopefully that helped a little xD

Grand Champion since July 29th 20171 point · 3 months ago

Oh but isn't skill rating based on random elements like mmr, goals, assists and stuff? Or is it purely based on mmr?

HoraryHellfire2 points · 3 months ago

MMR movement is only based off of your MMR vs the opponents' MMR. Points and in-game stats matter nothing for MMR.

Grand Champion since July 29th 20171 point · 3 months ago

I just can't find where you can see your ranking. Am I blind? I can only see the top 100 and nothing beyond that.

HoraryHellfire1 point · 3 months ago

GCs and above can see their rating in the matchmaking menu. If you're not GC, then you have to use third party websites.

Grand Champion since July 29th 20171 point · 3 months ago

I know my rating. Its 1525. But what rank is that lmao am I 600th in the world? 150th? 5000th? Only the people in the top 100 can see their rank, but in asking if theres a way to see my rank beyond the top 100

HoraryHellfire1 point · 3 months ago

Saying "rank" is ambiguous then. It could mean the icon, rating, and the top "x" placement, because people use it in all of of those context.

No there's no way to know your placement in the world unless you are Top 100

Grand Champion since July 29th 20171 point · 3 months ago

Damn, what I was afraid of :(

Where can I see how many times I forfeited or abandoned?

Goldfish7 points · 3 months ago

In the deepest depths of hell

What does 'rnb' means?

Maybe i saw it wrong. I'm usually far away from the screen, so it might have been M B. Thanks m8s!

Sorry!1 point · 3 months ago

I've never heard anyone say, or seen anyone type rnb. Can you give us some context?

Rhythm n bass

KBM 1,7k hours t.tv/aspiredaniel1 point · 3 months ago

My bad.

xGroundzero3 points · 3 months ago

looks like OP typed 'R N B'.

..is 'rnb' actually 'my bad?'. or is 'mb' my bad. or did OP just mistype. . i dont even know

KBM 1,7k hours t.tv/aspiredaniel-1 points · 3 months ago

Mate i got no clue what your going on about haha, but "mb" means My Bad.

Champion I1 point · 3 months ago

Though it looks like "mb", the person asking the question actually typed "r n b".

KBM 1,7k hours t.tv/aspiredaniel1 point · 3 months ago

LOL im such a dumbass hahaha, I was sitting so far back in my seat I didn't even see it said rnb hahaha lol mb

Diamond III not MVP1 point · 3 months ago

This is the funniest thing I have read to day haha!

KBM 1,7k hours t.tv/aspiredaniel1 point · 3 months ago

Glad to hear that! More of that comes from on my stream haha

Diamond III not MVP2 points · 3 months ago

Subtle plug I like it lol!

KBM 1,7k hours t.tv/aspiredaniel1 point · 3 months ago

Thanks haha remember to follow!!

Platinum II4 points · 3 months ago

When players state their playtime, is it during matches only or is it rocket league as a whole(training, menus, etc.)?

Grand Champion5 points · 3 months ago

Steam hours, meaning any time the game was open. People who use the in-game stat aren't accurately assessing their time. I've encountered players who think they hit Champion in just 200 hours only to realize their actually time is closer to 800. I'm not sure what the in-game stat measures, but I believe that it only tracks time in-game. Regardless, it wasn't implemented until last year and won't be accurate for most high level players.

Champion II [3v3] kvd7774 points · 3 months ago

I would guess they’re going off of what Steam or Xbox/PS says. Which would mean RL as a whole, not just in-game time.

Platinum II1 point · 3 months ago

OK, thank you for the reply, have been wondering for a while.

Diamond III3 points · 3 months ago

There is however a place to look in the menu that shows your stats and THAT shows in game time only.

Platinum III1 point · 3 months ago

I've seen people doing a training for dribbling that's like in space (not sure how to describe it). Is there any way to get that on the Switch? The two biggest holes in my game are dribbling and wall hits and I'd like to work on them. I do well with defense and positioning but just want better wall hits (especially to protect the backboard).

Champion I1 point · 3 months ago

check http://goedhartvoordieren.nl/?page=r/RocketLeague/comments/5siigt/pctrainer_the_ultimate_training_set_8_packs/
since what you are describing is a workshop pack and that isn't possible on the switch. In that link are some training packs that used to help me a lot a while ago. dribbling training can also perfectly be done in freeplay to be honest.

MARKsmanRL7 points · 3 months ago

I think what you are referring to is “Dribbling Challenge v2” on the Steam Workshop, if this is what you meant then unfortunately it only is available on pc.

Link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=964271505

Champion II4 points · 3 months ago

What is the date that this season ends?

Diamond I1 point · 3 months ago

Probably the 28th?

HoraryHellfire3 points · 3 months ago

Not announced yet. The only information is "late may".

What is the optimal keyboard control set-up?

Also can does anyone have a slo-mo video of a half-slip, I have a way but it seems incredibly inefficient and it definitely isn't what most pros do.

Grand Champion since July 29th 20172 points · 3 months ago

Here's how you half flip.

1. Backflip

2. Immediately after clicking to perform the flip your joy stick is pointing DOWN. slam the joystick UP right away so you stop your complete rotation. This should make you land on your roof upside down.

3. Before landing on your roof, air roll to any side you wish and land on your tires.

4. BONUS, boost to go faster.

That's it mate. It's quite simply in terms of mechanics it takes to do so. Just the timing and consistency is what needs work.Half fun practicing.

FlusturGlunkus1 point · 3 months ago

To add to this, it really helps a ton if you have "air roll left" or "air roll right" bound to clicking the left stick (L3 on PS4 controllers).

That way, you do the half flip as described in steps 1 and 2, but hold down the stick while you do it, and 3 will automatically happen.

Platinum III1 point · 3 months ago

I'm not the question asker but thanks, your explanation is so clear!

KBM 1,7k hours t.tv/aspiredaniel1 point · 3 months ago

I play kbm, err my controls are default but my air roll right is V and my air roll left is C thats about it.

Champion I1 point · 3 months ago

Feel free to use whatever you prefer but I would definitely recommend switching to a controller before you develop your muscle memory, it's far superior

Bean Squad1 point · 3 months ago

I am at 2700 hours using default KB+M controls, so I think it's just personal preference.

I might be able to post a slo-mo video of how I do a half flip later.

MLG PRO11 points · 3 months ago

What is the optimal keyboard control set-up?

Packed up nicely and off to the side, to make room for the USB controller you have plugged in.

Comment deleted3 months ago(2 children)
MLG PRO1 point · 3 months ago

You can get a second hand DS3 for peanuts. Come on.

My computer doesn't really function with controllers as it's a very old Mac and even when I tried my brother's steam controller rl basically stopped working, before you say, I am saving money for a functioning PC but it's a work in progress.

Diamond I3 points · 3 months ago

Diamond 1 here still playing default mouse and keyboard. I'm a rare but effective bird.

Wow, I changed the air roll to Rmb, pwerslide to middle mouse button and ball cam to F but I'm struggling to find a good key for rear view. But that, that's impressive.

Diamond I1 point · 3 months ago

I just use ball cam and toggle it on and off. As far as mouse and keyboard I feel there are some advantages over controller but at the same time, my ability to do a smooth air dribble is difficult.

I'm not only dumb, but pretty hungry, so here goes. I did my placements for the first time and got them all through and it gave me rank. I don't have to play the ranked mode anymore to get the season rewards (although I probably will as it was fun), right?

Champion II2 points · 3 months ago

You need 10 wins at each rank or higher to rank up after placements. Unranked(No rewarD) -> 10 wins -> Bronze Rewards -> 10 Wins -> Silver Rewards -> 10 Wins -> Gold Rewards etc. Wins have to be at the rank of rewards you are playing for. You must win 10 times as a gold ranked player in any playlist to achieve Gold rewards for the season.

Season 7 C36 points · 3 months ago

No, you work your way up the season rewards by winning games at or above the season reward your working on. Example: You start at Bronze season rewards when you get 12 wins in bronze or higher rank you get that reward.

HoraryHellfire5 points · 3 months ago

10 wins now per rank, for future reference.

Thank you both, I could have potentially bottled this.

Champion II2 points · 3 months ago

When you search for a new game in competitive, there is a progress bar at the bottom of the screen. On the left side of the bar is the current rank rewards that you have already obtained. On the right side it will say you need to be at the next higher rank and win X/10 games to get to the next level.

So since you just did your placement matches you probably won't have any season rewards yet. You'll need to win 10 games at bronze or higher to get the bronze rewards. Then you need to get to silver or higher and win 10 games for the silver rewards, etc.

Champ 3 ||| 907 hours13 points · 3 months ago

Is champion gold?

HoraryHellfire10 points · 3 months ago

Hello! P3/D1 player here who cant do flicks. Why do my flicks only work ~50% of the time? Is there a timing secret such as do the dodge just before the ball hits your car? Just after? Rapidly jump then dodge? Jump then delay the dodge? I cant figure it out lol.

I notice other players hold the ball on their car so smoothly, but when I do it, it kinda bounces continually, perhaps this is the reason?

Any tips?

Diamond III4 points · 3 months ago

Make sure you hold jump to keep rising with the ball. If you just tap it the ball will fly away from you. Use a training pack with the ball rolling slowly towards you to practice.

Grand Champion2 points · 3 months ago

GC here. Your 50% flick success rate is probably better than mine. In fact, I couldn't actually flick the ball until about a month and a half ago. It's a very useful skill that I just never took the time to actually learn.

When you flick the ball, you want it to already be resting on the top of your car and not bouncing around at all. Cushioning the ball like that takes practice, as do the types of jumps and tilts you can do to be sure the ball stays close. My advice would be to look up kevpert's dribble and flick video. He does a good of describing the different one and showing where it should be on the car, as well as providing drills. Also, you may want to give SlowMo a shot.

Champion II2 points · 3 months ago

Depends on the placement on your car. The further on your roof the ball is the more it pops up, so most flicks only work when it's nearer your windshield/hood area. It's different on every car by a slight margin so it's based a lot on feel.

Aside from the normal advice of "practice in free play", focus on where the circle of the ball is under your car. Usually for front flicks (either diagonal or straight on) in an octane your back wheels are slightly behind the back edge of the circle.

HoraryHellfire6 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

There's a sweet spot when dribbling. Draw a straight line from the center of mass on your car, to the ball's contact point. That's generally where it will go, which some alterations for flat cars to make it less drastic.

Try to keep the ball about 45° forward when balancing it. Or for simpler explanation, about on your car's front windshield. The arrow will draw a line forward and up, but since it will already be moving horizontally some, it will even out and stick to the car more to match the arrow better.

The sweet spot for flicks is also the same. I normally hold jump for 0.3 seconds, then use my dodge ASAP after letting go. This way the car catches up to the upwards momentum of the ball and stays closer to it, making it easier to flick.

Try not to go too fast. The faster you're moving, the more difficult it is to get flicks. At supersonic, front flip flicks don't really work anymore.

Thank you! This is really great advice!!! :D

Season 7 C31 point · 3 months ago

Go into free play and try to do different flicks with the ball doing different things/on different positions. Figure what works and what doesn't. I can't really help you much more then that unless i seen you trying to flick.

Champione 13 points · 3 months ago

It's mostly just a grind. Found myself in the same position once. I'm not saying I'm a pro flicker, but I can play around with them and do lvl 1-18 in dribbling challenge #2 which I greatly recommend you check out if you're on steam. Otherwise just try to ballcarry with little boost in freeplay. Also: play 1s to get your practice into real play. There's a difference between those. Good luck on the grind!

Platinum I3 points · 3 months ago

For real, how hard is it to attain GC? Asking for a friend. Also, how far off is an average GC player from a pro player?

Grand Champion since July 29th 20173 points · 3 months ago

It's hard. And I'd say the skill game is probably like the difference from a C1 to a GC. I've played many pros. And while it's not obvious why they're leagues above me, I know they are. It just comes down to the small tiny things that aren't noticeable. Boost management, rotations, decision making, consistency, and yes some skill. But let me tell you, I've seen much worse players do crazier shit that pros. They aren't pro though most likely because they lack everywhere else in their game.

Platinum I2 points · 3 months ago

Thanks for the response!

Champion I3 points · 3 months ago

Well it's less than a percentage of players that get there, very difficult to get to

kern0in5 points · 3 months ago

GC is pretty hard to get. You get GC at 1515 MMR and most pros are right now >1900. So like the difference between Gold 1 and Platinum 3

The Most Perturbed Potatoe5 points · 3 months ago

Pro's routinely clown on average GC players on streams. Like brutally bad.

also GC is quite difficult to get.. as it should be imo.

I have been at diamond 3 or 2 for 2 seasons now. Just hitting champ is hard. GC takes real dedication.

Merc Main Since Season 12 points · 3 months ago

far

Does a flip cancel shot add more power than just flipping? Or is it just the same power with a higher chance of hitting the ball with the nose of the car

Season 7/8 Grand Champion7 points · 3 months ago

The power is the same, but the advantage is not rolling through your shot. If you mistime your shot, it may hit the top of your car while rolling, reducing most of the power. Cancelling the flip maintains your forward momentum with your nose forward, enabling you to maintain max power on the shot when you contact the ball.

Grand Champion since July 29th 20171 point · 3 months ago

That, and it allows you to continue boosting forward so as to get to your destination faster.

Champion I5 points · 3 months ago

Any artist here? How much time and resource do you think it would take to make 7 versions of a goal explosions that has increasingly more details? Would it be a good idea to make the most detailed one first and reduce some aspects? (Not a sarcastic question, I'm legit curious about the time required)

-5 points · 3 months ago(11 children)
Champion I1 point · 3 months ago

I mean I feel strongly about the rewards but this is a bit rude, try being more constructive

Diamond II-1 points · 3 months ago

I was constructive the last year. It’s ongoing.

Champion II2 points · 3 months ago

Someone's salty. Want some tequila and lemon with that?

Diamond II-3 points · 3 months ago

Why is the only thing people can say online is u mad?

Ya I’m upset so what?

Champion II1 point · 3 months ago

I'm just saying this because free rewards (that the company is not obligated to give to you btw) in a video game that you enjoy playing (hopefully) are not the exact way you want them to be, and you are shitting over that company, even though they probably offered you hundreds of hours of entertainment for 20$.

Sorry

Diamond II0 points · 3 months ago

Are you kidding? Ya I paid 20 dollars, then I bought 40 dollars worth of keys which I literally have absolutely nothing for since I’m playing a slot machine. They do these rewards to keep you playing their game. Saying “they don’t have to” is ignorant and short sighted. And just because they don’t have to doesn’t mean they’re not failing. I could create better rewards with my eyes closed.

It’s not even that they’re not that great, they are just terrible. I genuinely thought their last rewards were just a practical joke

Diamond III1 point · 3 months ago

Make some, but with your eyes open. I'd like to see what you come up with. Once done, post it to the sub to reap that karma. I'll check back to see when it's done.

Diamond II0 points · 3 months ago

Why would I spend 100 hours of my time crafting and making something just to prove to you a moot point? I work full time and my wife is pregnant

Diamond III1 point · 3 months ago

You said you could do it with your eyes closed implying the ease. Just figured you would back that claim up.

Champion II2 points · 3 months ago

I get it, you don't like em. Guess what? Thats subjective. I will for sure use at least 2 banners for a few months (until better ones come out) and will most like use the explosions on a car or two.

You not liking them doesn't make them "terrible". I personally didn't like the last banners they put out, and I didnt complain and shit on Psyonix like they are worthless.

You are giving these rewards waaaay too much importance. Just play the damn game for fun, not for rewards that are unknown until 2 weeks before the season ends

Diamond II1 point · 3 months ago

It’s not just rewards.. I thought they were garbage when they came out with a crate system. It’s all a money grab, no care or thought goes into anything.

And like I said I’ve spent 40 dollars on keys and never got anything. The drop rates for anything cool is abysmally low which is bull. That’s not including the decryptors (which is the one thing I’ve appreciated). So I’ve opened like 55 crates and only got the common rare boosts and wheels. No goal explosions, no black market. Nothing really painted.

About a year ago i switched from airroll and Powerslide on L1 to Powerslide and AirRoll-Left on L1 and AirRoll-Right on R1, now I noticed, that i struggle abit too much with keeping the momentum via Powersliding and the readjusting after a bad landing. The Reason is, that I'll always AirRoll Left when I try to Powerslide. When just on the ground there is no Problem... Do you have any suggestions where to bind Powerslide? I definitely want to keep L1 and R1 for my AirRolls!

Hey there, I asked a similar question last week on this thread. I was doing the same thing. I switched almost right away to air roll left/right to L1/R1 when I started playing because I couldn’t wrap my head around left and right on the stick controlling both roll and turn.

I ran into the same problems you’re mentioning with the power slide and I’ll add that it also hinders wavedashing when trying to land and slightly roll to the right to land properly.

What I found to work is not changing the powerslide off of L1 but actually using R1 when trying to power slide when you don’t want to roll left. This causes both rolls to cancel each other out and you’re left with just the powerslide action.

That said.. I switched my controls to just L1 and back to analog left/right.. it’s been surprisingly not too difficult of a switch. I still find myself wanting to use R1 in really fast, no time for thinking moments and it’s cost me. I’m likely going to put air roll right back onto R1 because of half flips.

The reason I switched was power sliding issue .. Looking at my aerials closely also revealed I was tornadoing (rolling and turning at the same time) unintentionally. Usually when I wanted to go from one to the other, I started the second before actually finishing the first. I could have worked on my timing rather than switching, but I tried the switch and it seems like something I can get use to.

Diamond III2 points · 3 months ago

I have asked about this before too. Never thought about holding R1 when recovering. Nice tip. I really don’t want to go back to no air roll left/right.

I have a friend who is in gold, who refuses to do any rocket aerials. What is the ceiling for him before going to the air is necessary?

Grand Champion since July 29th 20172 points · 3 months ago

He will learn to do aerials. He will have to. It will happen. It all starts by doing a tiny little aerial like 5 feet in the air. After a while the 5 foot aerial turns to 10, then 15, then 20, next thing you know hes flying everywhere. It's all about incremental steps. That's how I learned. Plus it just looks awesome to score aerial goals so he should want to learn

Champion II1 point · 3 months ago

Tell him this isn't the game for him if he wants to get better while imposing that rule on himself. It sounds like he tried it, sucked at it, and decided he couldn't do it and now hates them because everyone else can but he cannot.

I doubt he'd get very far outside of gold if at all. It's like saying "Hey my friend is an amateur golfer who refuses to use his Woods how well would he do in a tournament".

The Most Perturbed Potatoe3 points · 3 months ago

gold

Complexity2 points · 3 months ago

Honestly contrary to what everyone else said, I believe grand champ/pro level ground play could make him diamond

Edit: if he isnt allowed zo leave the ground ever it is unlikely to reach dia, but double jumping isnt really an aerial

MLG PRO6 points · 3 months ago

No, but effective aerials force you to learn concepts like air roll and greater car control, which translate to improved ground-ish performance: half flips, general recovery, goalkeeping, shot/vehicle alignment orientation, others.

Removing that third dimension from the game is such a waste of opportunity.

Complexity2 points · 3 months ago

I said perfect ground play. Like take a pro and say: Dont aerial and see how far he goes. yes its unlikely for anyone who cant aerial to become like diamond, but Ive seen plat players on twitch who cant aerial properly. And honestly if you can top corner from everywhere on the map you can easily become dia. But of course if a player is that good he would most likely be able to aerial too. Its just an hypothetical thing of how high someone can climb without aerialing

Platinum III3 points · 3 months ago

Assuming you mean he can't control the car in the air at all...saves, 50/50's, etc. (not just shots)

When should he be getting comfortable flying? Now.

When will it impact him more? Probably G3. There will be a LOT of whiffs he'll be able to take advantage of, but people will be going up often enough.

When will he be at a pretty severe disadvantage? Low/mid Plats.

Unless he's an amazing defender (which he can't be at higher levels if he's stuck on the ground), he's toast past Gold if he plays 2's. If he refuses to get in the air at all for any reason, he'll get steamrolled by any competent team.

I agree with /u/crunchy_underpants that his ground game/awareness could save him for a while - but, I struggle to see how someone who can't even get up for an easy save or 50/50 will be good enough in other areas to compensate for that past Gold...

GOLD BANNER BABY3 points · 3 months ago

Really depends on the playlist his ceiling is gunna be higher in solos because there’s less aerial play than in 3s, I personally have seen gold 3 games with a ton of aerial play but granted most of it is just hitting the ball in the air just because and not with any particular purpose or direction

Probably platinum if he had a stellar ground game. Maybe higher in 1s.

Diamond I6 points · 3 months ago

I'm about to reach plat 3 and hopefully will catch up to my friend who is diamond 1 soon. I have a good handle on the basics and the flow of gameplay, rotations, etc, and I know that drilling down and learning things such as half-flips and other advanced skills (along with better strategy and awareness) will make me quicker and more mobile across the field.

My issue is that I've been in this same situations with other video games, and I've chosen to learn the advanced skills and blow far ahead of my friends causing them to not be able to (enjoyably) play with me. Right now, I'm enjoying the pace of the game and I love being able to play alongside my friend at a similar skill level. Not to say that I would immediately become champ, but I'm torn between pursuing champ/playing a more intense, stressful game, and slowly progressing/being satisfied with diamond and playing more casually with my friend.

Thoughts?

Champion II2 points · 3 months ago

Dust him. Don't let an opportunity slip by to grab champ because I can tell you first hand its really fucking satisfying when you grind your tits off and finally get it. You don't have to not play with your friend, just focus on getting yourself where you want to be in the game. Who knows, you might even motivate him to keep pace with you which sparks a healthy competition.

Grand Champion since July 29th 20171 point · 3 months ago

I had the exact same scenario like a year and a half ago. I guess I just thought he'd continue improving as much as me, I never expected to be better than him. Today though hes c1 or d3 and it kinda makes playing with him less enjoyable, but it's still fun to fuck around with him in games. I can play more silly and goof off and care less when I play with him. It's not the same as before when wed play competitively but it's still fun.

I say dont let your friend hold you back. Come join me. Maybe you'll inspire him to get much better too.

Champion II1 point · 3 months ago

Getting better is always good. If your friend can't keep up with you then help them out. If they can't or won't get any better then you being better won't hinder them at all. They will win more games at higher levels because you are better. Seeing you be better and pull off sick shots and saves would more than likely make them aspire to be better themselves.

So TLDR: if you wanna get better, practice and get better.

Champion II2 points · 3 months ago

It's up to you ultimately, but I would strive to try to get better as much as possible. I also play with friends in the low to mid diamonds and we can still have fun and play together even if there is a slight rank difference. I think you can still achieve both. I also helped a friend by pointing out his general positioning mistakes when watching him through Steam broadcast and helped him quickly climb to my rank. So maybe you can try to help your friend improve if you pass him, as long as he's receptive to your advice.

Season 7 C32 points · 3 months ago

i don't think anyone would know what you want, but you. I can personally say that me getting in to champ ranks had made my game much more lonely until recently. I had stopped playing with friends do to rank difference and refuse to smurf, because scummy. I have made some C2-GC friends that i play ranked with from time to time, but still 90% of the time playing solo.

MARKsmanRL1 point · 3 months ago

Ditto.

Platinum III1 point · 3 months ago

I personally when I play video games don’t find them fun unless it is a competitive environment or strictly to play with friends and as you rank up and grind your friends may want to join you or as your climbing they will eventually catch up and hey if you get too high of a rank you could always make a smurf account SO GET GOOD AT THE GAME MY DUDE!

HOLY $#@%!15 points · 3 months ago

Dumb? Okay. WHY DOES THE CHAMPION SEASON REWARD BANNER LOOK LIKE IT'S MADE FOR A GOLD PLAYER?

Champion II5 points · 3 months ago

Because You TOUCH YOURSELF AT NIGHT

HOLY $#@%!2 points · 3 months ago

E

Champion III1 point · 3 months ago

When does season 7 end? Dont wont to derank before i get my rewards :D

Season 7 C31 point · 3 months ago

Deranking won't effect your rewards, but it might effect your rank next season. If its hard reset you're fine. If its soft reset you will reset to like a rank lower then you were unless you're in champ ranks. Then you will reset to c1 regardless of what champ rank you're at.

MARKsmanRL1 point · 3 months ago

It’s a soft reset

Champione 11 point · 3 months ago

As for s7 end: I heard late May

SoBayed5 points · 3 months ago

Deranking shouldn't affect your rewards unless you haven't earned them yet.

Is there really a point in continuing to play? After hundreds of hours I'm stuck in bronze. It seems I need 12 hours a day at least to really do anything in the game. Everyone is next level.

Champion II3 points · 3 months ago

Save your replays. Find out why you get scored on. Watch higher level players gameplay (I wouldn't suggest watching pros and trying to do what they do you are not even close mechnically) but watch gold/plat play. Go into free play and just knock the ball around. Bronze is just continual misses. Try to at the least make contact with the ball as much as possible.

When I first started I hit a wall where it felt like nothing was even happening because everyone (including me) was so bad they could barely make contact, let alone aim a shot on net. Every goal was RNG basically. So, I played 1s. 1s forces you to make something happen. If your opponent scores on you, it is YOUR fault and your fault alone. You can identify why it happened. I played 1s until I was Challenger (Which I think is now equivalent to gold?).

I'd also suggest watching this video by Johnny Boi. He gives tips for every rank on what to focus on to help them improve/rank up.

If you enjoy the game there's tons of resources out there to help you get better. Good luck!

Season 7 C33 points · 3 months ago

If you're pc i would more the willing to give you tips and advice. I'm by no means a god at this game, but i am a C3 player who has played with and against pros. Plays with and against GCs all the time and feel i have a good understanding of the game and what works/doesn't.

Step 1. D1 Step 2....Step 3 Profit8 points · 3 months ago

Are you having fun, are you still learning? Those are the questions; rank is a secondary concern.

Training really does help, even if it's just a 15 minute warm-up in free play or in a training pack or two.

Also find some friends , here on the Friday thread, or on r/RocketLeagueFriends ; a consistent set of teammates makes gameplay more predictable, and fun!

It's fun but it's ridiculous. I'd admit I suck but I win pretty often. Kids these days are getting college scholarships for esports. I'm a casual gamer and this game is so competitive man. People seem to have tens of thousands of hours for the higher ranks.

Fun is what I keep chasing yet somehow I just get better.

Champion II3 points · 3 months ago

Do you use the training packs? Have you watched any YouTube videos on proper rotations? This game is hard you won’t be great at first. Don’t care about your rank so much just play the game.

Platinum III4 points · 3 months ago

Do you use the training packs?

THIS.

I played RL pretty casually for about 450 hours, I was "OK" but clearly hit a ceiling at about Challenger Elite/Rising Star way back when. This continued to the new rankings, where I'd sit at about P1. I never played often, took extended breaks, and only played RL after a few beers (probably the biggest culprit).

I then figured, "why not try some training packs"? Within maybe a few hours of just training packs instead of playing - the difference is night-and-day.

Sure, my mechanics/car-control in some situations are much improved, but the real difference is in the confidence to do what's needed without that split-second hesitation that makes all the difference in games. No more waiting/retreating to a "better" position where I feel more comfortable to go up for a ball or make a play - now it's just get right up in the air and adjust then.

Markydooda's "Awkward Shooties" was a good one for that. Lots of flying with the camera "looking backwards" and backwards off the wall stuff (ball behind you). It's...awkward.

I haven't played much Ranked lately to see where I'll get, but I instantly went from floundering in mid Plats to easily holding my own with D1/D2's. I was actually surprised as I didn't really feel I had improved much until I got into some games and saw the difference.

Another tip when doing "Redirect, Air-dribble, rebound" packs - unless you targeting a specific mechanic like the first touch on a wall-to-air dribble, don't stop when you biff one and hit restart. Use that last few seconds to regroup from whatever odd state you're in and try for the one-touch last second goal. It's keeps it less frustrating at times and you'll get great practice on recovery, dunks, pinches, second-touches, etc.

I'm no pro at air-dribbles in-game yet, though I'm now competent. But, all those screwed-up training attempts where I kept it going have made me much more confident that instead of just sinking back to Earth in shame... I'll at least have a chance to recover in-air and get a solid second-touch shot on goal, go for a good pass, or try a nasty pinch shot - depending on how bad I goofed the setup.

Champion II5 points · 3 months ago

Hesitation is what kills platinum and low diamond players but confidence definitely place a big part of it.

The Most Perturbed Potatoe1 point · 3 months ago

and it's what kills my soul when my queue is long and i get paired with a diamond :P

Champion II1 point · 3 months ago

Better than never queuing at all

The Most Perturbed Potatoe1 point · 3 months ago

Luckily it only really affects my solo standard. so just don't Q that anymore.

Diamond III3 points · 3 months ago

Also, I have nearly 2,000 hours and I'm still stuck in diamond so you're not alone with getting stuck at a rank for a while

Feel the same

Diamond III3 points · 3 months ago

Just try to play in the mindset that you're just enjoying it. I know... easier said than done. But I've found that I play like shit when I start to get frustrated, and likewise play pretty well when I'm calm and enjoying it. Good luck dude.

Silver II1 point · 3 months ago

Do you enjoy yourself? I mean, I know it's frustrating... believe me... but unless you're trying to "accomplish" something, then that's about all that matters.

When streaming a Rocket League event (ex: a "tournament" with a couple of best-of-3 matches), is there a fast-and-easy way to get a highlight reel put together for the downtime between matches?

Airroll Champ1 point · 3 months ago

What’s the deadline for Fantasy RL

165 more replies

Rocket League: The Game - everything related to Rocket League!

r/RocketLeague Rules