People saying you shouldn’t be playing the game for the rewards...

Of course not! Nobody is saying they play more for the rewards than the intrinsic satisfaction of getting better at the game, but I don’t see how people are saying that’s an excuse for releasing the worst season rewards to date by far, especially for the group of people (champions) who experienced the largest jump in “cool factor” for their reward in every other season. You want to go away from fixed colors, totally fine, but there should still be that same satisfying jump in “cool factor” that is easily noticeable by every player. The logo on the banner simply spinning slowly does not do that in any way and using a fixed color (gold) that looks worse than the color scheme for the platinum or gold banners (purple or blueish themes) makes no sense especially the first time you move away from the fixed rank colors. I don’t even understand why there are fixed colors for these banners. It seems to me that the obvious choice would have been to unlock color schemes and banner structures with each tier so that I could put the platinum or gold color schemes on the champion structured banner. That would actually stay true to this philosophy of greater creative freedom that the banners they came out with simply do not. Every champion should be upset with these rewards. And I’m sorry if you personally didn’t get to that rank, but try to see it from the champion perspective. It almost seems like psyonix made some goal explosions that were going to just be free common drops into season rewards even though they do not align with the season reward system at all because they knew how bad these banners are.

Rocket Sledge - (22k Game Mechanics)5 points · 3 months ago

Am Champ. Am not upset. I'd argue that Crowns and Wheel Trails could be considered "worst" season rewards.

Champion III3 points · 3 months ago

I use my gold crown to this day, by far my favorite reward and imo one of the highest quality ones. I also use my champ trail and love it, probably my 3rd favorite after the boost. Season 2 boost was amazing imo.

The large backlash is absolutely warranted, these are lazy rewards this season.

Rocket Sledge - (22k Game Mechanics)1 point · 3 months ago

Agreed that the Season 2 boost was nice. Wish I had it.

The Most Perturbed Potatoe2 points · 3 months ago

Honestly the Crowns are more telling than any other boost since they weren't gotten by that many people... we least the... what was it, platinum ones? the highest one?

Granted they are absolutely massive lol

Rocket Sledge - (22k Game Mechanics)1 point · 3 months ago

I always had a hard time telling the difference between the silver and platinum crown.

HoraryHellfire2 points · 3 months ago

Platinum is less shiny, and has a spinning ball on it.

Just messing with you sledge, as you already know what I'm telling you.

Original Poster2 points · 3 months ago

The trails were a great reward. I see the silver, diamond, and champion trails still used all the time. I personally still use the silver trail as it’s the only white trail in the game. I could see an argument for the last banners being the worst but I think banners in general are a not very satisfying reward, which is why I don’t understand at all why they chose to go in a new and really polarizing direction with their season rewards while using the type of reward that is least well suited to demonstrate its potential. Also, a huge fan of yours <3

Rocket Sledge - (22k Game Mechanics)2 points · 3 months ago

Yes that's why I said "arguably". Wheel trails only appear when supersonic and thus don't really "display" your rank that well. Everyone will have different ideas of what is the best rewards, and usually it will be something they weren't able to achieve.

Getting banners and goal explosions sounds great on paper, the execution left something to be desired so I understand the disappointment. But in reality no reward will ever please everyone.

Original Poster1 point · 3 months ago

I agree. The execution just seems to contradict their stated goal. Moving away from the fixed rank colors for this reward seems to have freed up no room for new design choices in any meaningful way other than with the grand champ banner (which I think is actually a very cool color scheme). Every other banner seems to be designed exactly how it would have been if they stuck with the existing system but with random colors that ensure nobody will ever be able to create a matching car loadout with their highest level achieved season rewards over the next couple seasons. I thought the idea of making the color schemes unlockable as well was a good idea as it actually means getting more from the banners with this new non-fixed rank color idea. To me this is the only way to make the move offer any benefit with this kind of reward (banners). I’d love to hear your thoughts on that idea.

Rocket Sledge - (22k Game Mechanics)2 points · 3 months ago

Because the banners are different in animations/effects I also thought that it would make sense to let us select a color, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's a change they make to stop the backlash.

But you know people will complain that the change will allow anyone to make their Gold banner champ color. (Insert shrugging guy here)

Flatline | Cearu1 point · 3 months ago

Wheel Trails . . . "worst" season rewards.

You take that back. My Champ supersonic trail is the only season reward I still use regularly.

Rocket Sledge - (22k Game Mechanics)1 point · 3 months ago

LoL shows how it's all subjective!

MLG PRO1 point · 3 months ago

Really? I like both of those. The banners were the least cool ones, I think. With or without dragons.

Rocket Sledge - (22k Game Mechanics)1 point · 3 months ago

See I was ok with banners, wish I had the champ one.

Season 6 Grand Whiffer1 point · 3 months ago

I f'ing love the wheel trails. I more or less only use them bc they are so clean and i don't have the urge to get the ones from crates. They just make the car preset feel "complete". I'd argue that thise trails are one of the "best" rewards we ever got.

Worst rewards were definitely the last banners (season 5?).

KBM Player1 point · 3 months ago

I liked the season 5 banners though, too bad I was just bronze 1 that time...

All-Star1 point · 3 months ago

I'm so with you. I play to get better because I love the game, and the better I get, the more fun it is. But I was also really looking forward one day to crossing that Champ threshold and getting to wear some purple bling.

Now that I've finally made it, it's a nasty surprise that there are no more purple items.

Rocket League: The Game - everything related to Rocket League!

r/RocketLeague Rules