Sign up and stay connected to your favorite communities.

Convince me I need to be doing training, please

I don't think the training works as well as it's intended... Whenever I end up doing the training, it never ends up the way it should. For instance, with the aerial training I usually fail really hard at getting the shot lined up, so eventually I just let the ball drop to where I now know it's going to land and take a ground shot. That's really the main thing, is that I'll just end up watching the path of the ball and then put myself in the optimal position for the goal (or save). And not in the way it's intended, I'm only able to put myself there because I know that's exactly where it's going from observing it take the exact same path a few times.

I also only feel like my time spent in training only helps me in training, whereas games actually train me better for the training sessions... It's just such a different beast from an actual game.

But I know this is backwards... How can I actually get training to work for me?

Training is great for learning new mechanics, not so great for teaching you how to apply those mechanics in game

FlusturGlunkus
4 points · 15 days ago

First off, if you can consistently fly up to make contact with the ball, then the standard aerial training isn't too useful.

There are tons of pretty hard training packs that'll launch an aerial shot for you with 3 seconds on the clock, so if it hits the ground, it's over. You could try catching it where it'll land and dribble it in, but that's still a good skill to build up anyway. Even if it isn't the intended approach.

At the end of the day, you know that you can cheat the system. So don't do it. Training packs are there to help you improve- Not force you to.

My approach with any training playlist is that I'll restart each shot until I can consistently get the shot/clear/save I was going for. For aerial shots, that generally means hitting the ball as soon as possible, usually close to its peak.

It's a lot harder and usually results in a steeper angle, but that's exactly the kind of training that will help you at higher ranks. The winner is very often decided by who plays the fastest, so if you can get comfortable with approaching the ball ASAP to put a shot on net, it'll really start helping you in game.

Good luck!

And letting the ball drop in aerial training is pointless, do a ground shot pack instead, the whole point of aerial training is to help you practice aerials so you can beat your opponents to the ball and allows your teammate more options to pass than just dribble ground or off the wall to the ground passes lol

Original Poster0 points · 15 days ago

I know that, but the fact that I can let it drop says to me that it's kind of broken... Plus, I don't see how aiming for a stationary ball suspended in mid air is supposed to help. That doesn't happen, and that would only help with aiming for a stationary ball suspended in mid air...

Oh you aren’t playing custom training packs is the problem. There’s plenty of packs that don’t allow the ball to drop and you’re forced to hit it into the net or you “fail” that shot

And most custom packs don’t suspend the ball mid air

The whole point of the suspended ball mid air starter packs are to learn how to hit a ball in the air and get power behind it basically, not necessarily to practice in game situations lol

Original Poster1 point · 15 days ago

I have no idea which ones are worth a damn though... I don't trust "user ratings"

How about you just try them out? If you are struggling with arials, any kind of pack that puts the ball in the air will help you. Just practice some self control and do it. Anything in the featured playlist will be good. In fact, I’ve never come across an inherently bad training pack on there ever.

Good to know, thanks!

Also not sure how new to the game you are, but default keybindings aren’t normally the best

Original Poster1 point · 15 days ago

I have changed my key bindings which has helped.

Champion II
1 point · 13 days ago

This should be all that you need to get started.

I used these and focused on things I knew i wanset great at and it helped a lot!

Original Poster1 point · 13 days ago

Thanks!

If you are trying stationary balls, you're doing the wrong packs. The shits that float there are only intended for people who are more focused on even trying to get in the air or practice with Freeze in Rumble.

Just make a pack where the ball rolls up the back wall and in front of the net, it will be excellent for establishing a good sense of gravity's effect on the ball.

Original Poster1 point · 15 days ago

Make a pack? Who am I, Bill Gates? (I kid, but honestly I've never made my own level in anything in my 30 years of gaming... My brain doesn't work that way)

What platform are you on?

PS

Diamond III
1 point · 15 days ago

I think the stationary balls are more meant for practicing aerial control rather than making aerial shots. With these you can more easily learn how to control your car in the air to hit the ball at exactly the point you want to hit it. It's also great for learning how to fly upside-down.

Good point

What motivated me to learn was playing a game where I was stuck on the ground being useless while everyone soared to new heights. It was really sad and frustrating to watch my team go on without me.

So do the packs and learn the mechanic. You don't ever want to be the guy waiting for a perfect and too easy shot (just like the ones you do right now).

half the time you will feel doing these small steps is pointless as you dont see any improvement when in fact you are making a lot of it but if you keep doing it and then compare it to what you were like you will see the difference

also try a custom training pack as they provide better shots that are more likely to happen in games.

1 point · 15 days ago · edited 15 days ago

I don't think anybody has said yet but the packs aren't the problem, you need to learn how to do those techniques to begin with by following YouTube tutorials and then practicing them over and over again. Nobody will ever open up a dribble pack and pick up dribbling within the week, they'd need to actually research how to dribble to begin with. From my first week on RL, I begun watching tutorials by Kevpert and a few others, practicing their methods of training and not settling for anything other than what I should be training i.e. if I'm in an aerial session, I will only go for aerials, going for ground shots isn't going to help me in the air. To give you a sense of how this has affected me, it took me just under a year at around 500 hours to reach Champion (and play like one, from being a complete newbie to the game who's solo queued everything).

Original Poster1 point · 15 days ago

I can't stand YouTubers... It's sad that game developers resort to letting everyone else teach people how to play their game nowadays. I've probably easily got that much time into this game, playing on and off since season 1, and I still can't do aerials. I love this game but I hate it more. Or maybe it's the other way around...

The other thing I can't seem to nail down is the camera. It always feels off, like I'm wearing beer goggles, or wearing someone else's prescription glasses something. Can't find the right settings to just make it look right and make me feel one with my car.

The game is designed to teach you the mechanics, then you're supposed to use everything you know to perform the advance skills. It does teach you what you need to know, you just have to learn to combine and control that knowledge to play better. You're going to have to be watch tutorials and follow them or it's only going to take you longer to improve. Same goes for camera settings, you really need to research this stuff if you're having trouble figuring it out yourself. Remember, the game is easy to play but hard to master.

Original Poster1 point · 15 days ago

I've done all I can to research the camera settings, and the same conclusion comes up every time... What works for one person may not work for another, and it's ultimately up to you to find what works. I know what all the settings do, I just can't get them set right in the way that helps me best.

Well do you prioritise dribbling or aerials? For a long time I played with an aerial camera setting until I learned how to dribble and I prioritised ground control, you'll find that you can not find a mid-point, you can still do both skills but one of them will always be less effective depending on your camera settings.

Original Poster1 point · 15 days ago

I can't do either yet because I can't get my car where I want it cause my camera is off. Like, I'm not stupid, and I'm a great driver in any other game that has a vehicle of any sort, and I'm great with physics and angles and all that (I grew up with a pool table)... But in RL I end up whiffing the ball, or end up knocking it in a random direction. And as soon as it happens I'm not wondering "WTH? Why did that happen?" cause I know what happened. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time because I can't get my car where it needs to be and doing what it should be doing.

In my head I can visualize exactly what I would need to do, but that doesn't translate to my fingers to make it happen at all because when I start to move, it doesn't feel/look right and I second guess everything. My positioning, the ball's position, all of it.

Grand Champion
1 point · 15 days ago

The entire purpose of training is to improve consistency. To improve consistency, you need repetition. If you're not training repetitively then you might as well not be doing custom training at all because it doesn't teach you how to be better in-game. Repetition leads to muscle memory which means that you don't have to consciously think about every little thing you do in-game. That's why it's important. Knocking the ball around in free play is still arguably the best way to train as it teaches ball control in multidimensional way and allows you the freedom to be creative.

Northern Gaming
1 point · 15 days ago

pssst. I placed C3 Div 3 in 2's :D

Grand Champion
1 point · 15 days ago

Nice. Get there in 2s and then you can try on a real game mode like 3s, scrub.

Northern Gaming
1 point · 15 days ago

hah. I don't have people to carry me in 3's like you do.

cough.

Grand Champion
1 point · 14 days ago

I must be really lucky solo queueing. I guess knowing how to let every random teammate carry me and get the W is a skill I've mastered.

Northern Gaming
1 point · 12 days ago

yep. you're a master.

Grand Champion
1 point · 12 days ago

XD

Original Poster1 point · 15 days ago

Knocking the ball around in free play only teaches you how to be a ball chaser... I can't knock it into the wall and then pull back to my goal in anticipation for the clear from the other team. It'll never come, and the ball will eventually stop dead.

Platinum III
1 point · 15 days ago

People are giving you great help and advice, which you asked for, and you’re arguing with literally everybody. This guy is literally a Grand Champion and you’re telling him that free play just teaches you to chase. I think he probably knows more.

You want to learn? Do it, put in the effort. No more shortcuts. Try shots until you succeed as you are meant to. Go to YouTube, view some tutorials. Rocket League is a community and we learn from each other.

If you want to improve, kill the stubbornness and start practicing! And please, listen to the advice in the other comments — it’s ALL good.

Original Poster1 point · 15 days ago

Arguing the point someone is making is how I make sure it's actually what is the right thing. If their stance falls apart with a question or two then it wasn't very good advice. I'm not arguing because I think I know better, I'm arguing because I don't know any better, if that makes any sense. Since I don't know, for all I know this he's the only GC playing in free mode to get better. I'm just relaying my thoughts on the idea. I do appreciate everything everyone is saying and I'm taking it to heart.

Grand Champion
1 point · 15 days ago

That is very much not true. Ball-chasing has little to do with following the ball and a lot to do with knowing when and how to do so, which is totally dependent on the positioning of other players on the field. In fact, one of the most crucial skills necessary for higher level play is ones ability to make controlled touches, I.e. being able to hit the ball and immediately follow it for another tough.

But that's really understating the usefulness of free play.

It teaches you actual moves that you can use in game. It teaches you how to take a proper approach on the ball, because free play doesn't work well if you can't hit the ball hard and you can't hit the ball hard if you don't have a proper approach. The ability to consistently hit ball hard (make solid contact) is the most important skill in the game, in my opinion. The most basic (and incredibly useful) thing you can do in free play is hit it hard at a wall, take a really wide approach to prepare for the rebound, let it bounce, and hit it again. It gives you a lot more touches on the ball than a game does and is less predictable than custom training which tends to start you in an already favorable position (you can pull off the move, but can you position yourself in a game to actually have a chance at trying it?). It teaches you how to make soft, controlled touches on the ball. It gives you the creativity to create. It teaches you how to predict bounces off the walls.

I could go on and on. There's a reason that just about pro you'll watch stream spends their time training in free play as opposed to custom training; in fact, it's pretty rare to see them in custom training at all.

But that also makes a fair point that free play is perhaps more useful and less frustrating for highly skilled players who can keep the ball moving and are capable of controlling the ball, dribbling, flicking, hitting it with power, following off the wall, predicting bounces, etc.

Playing the game can teach you a lot, but it all depends on how self-aware you are. Watching better players is also a form of training and is incredibly useful. We all have moves that we add to our arsenal and we need it to grow and grow so that we know how to handle different situations and even give ourselves multiple options without having to think about it. Those are the things you gain from free play and from watching other players.

Original Poster1 point · 14 days ago

That makes a lot of sense. Now that I can think about it this way instead of ball chasing it should really help. I appreciate you taking the time to explain it rather than just accuse me of not taking your advice.

Grand Champion
1 point · 14 days ago

No problem. Good luck!

Can give advices but I ain't world champ
1 point · 15 days ago

Stop excuses and trying to avoid it.

Just do it.

Northern Gaming
1 point · 15 days ago

your explanation of it failing is you failing, not the training.

That's it. The training works fine, you just give up and cheese it.

Original Poster1 point · 15 days ago

If I can cheese it, then it's not working as intended. I shouldn't be able to complete the shot in any other way than the way that's intended... How else am I supposed to know if I'm doing it right? I know the ones I explained I'm doing wrong, but I could do it it plenty of ways that would also not be what's intended, but maybe I think it is?

Northern Gaming
1 point · 15 days ago

No, YOU'RE not working as intended. You cheat yourself by cheesing it. Why should the game coddle you even more? Stop making excuses and blaming the game for your shortcomings

Original Poster1 point · 14 days ago

Jesus, dude, taking this a little personally, aren't you? I don't even want to know what it would be like telling you something like "this game is garbage".

The title says "Convince me". Convincing takes a little work. Some back and forth. So thanks for trying to help and all (if that's what you want to call it) but I've already got the answer I'm looking for. From someone willing to convince me rather than get butt hurt over the opinion I'm willing to change about a tutorial.

Northern Gaming
1 point · 12 days ago

lol dont mistake taking it personally for just telling the truth.

I dont need to convince some random stranger on the internet to stop cheating training. Do people at your work have to hold your hand to make sure you don't cut corners as well?

The fact you need someone to CONVINCE you to actually train properly even though it may be difficult is a reflection on you. Not the training system.

Original Poster1 point · 11 days ago

Ok, cool. Thanks for the psychology. Do you treat everyone that asks for a little help the same way? Like I said, I got the answer I was looking for, and that answer has put me back into the mentality that the training can in fact be useful. So, nice try, but you can stop now.

Northern Gaming
1 point · 11 days ago

Everyone that's lazy and really just trying to look for justification for being lazy.

Yes. Why should anyone waste time on them?

Original Poster1 point · 11 days ago

You shouldn't. And if you had paid attention to the words I said, or read any other part of this post, maybe you'd see I'm not one of them. I took the time to thoroughly debate (in a civil manor, I might add) with people about the merits of the training courses. At the end of the debate, I concurred that they were right and admitted they had changed my view on it. That's not something a lazy person does. Just saying out loud to nobody "I'm not gonna do this" is lazy. I actively sought to have my view changed, and it was. And now I'm going to apply the methods you probably wouldn't deem as "lazy" to my training.

So, again, thanks for your (non) attempt at helping me out, but you can stop now.

Northern Gaming
1 point · 11 days ago

lol get off your pedestal there bud. This was nothing more than a reach out for attention to have people look at you. Benefits to training are obvious... actually obvious, in anything related to motor functions and hand-eye coordination.

That's not some just amazing newfound research.

You were just lazy and had to rely on random internet people to convince to do the most obvious thing ever to get better.

Just own it for what it is.

Original Poster1 point · 11 days ago

Or, again... (Jesus Christ I hate being a broken record on Reddit) you could have read and comprehended the words I wrote. They explain my reasoning for doubting the way this game does it's training in particular. Of course training is a good thing. I'm not a moron. But let's say the training was actually just you stuck against a wall, using unlimited amounts of boost to just do flips while the ball rolled around somewhere else, totally unaffected by you. Would that be very helpful, or do you think most people would just say playing the game was the best training? To me, since the training was so much different from an actual game, I wasn't sure if it was translating very well. But I'm not going to repeat my whole argument again when you can just read it. It didn't go anywhere.

When you grow up you'll realize that not everyone is out to seek attention just because you gave it to them.

If you don't like training try playing 1v1s with friends where you practise doing new things, and then simulate real game play setting each other up or by playing for real against each other.

Original Poster2 points · 15 days ago

try playing 1v1s with friends

What are those?

Internet Explorer Prospect Elite
1 point · 15 days ago

This is the same mentality of I'm dieting but every day is cheat day

it's not other peoples' jobs to make sure you're practicing the training shots correctly

Original Poster1 point · 15 days ago

I understand that, but as it is, the training feels like I'm supposed to know how to already do it. It not like cheat day every day for a diet, it's like having a raw chicken and not knowing how to cook it properly, so you eat out instead to avoid getting sick.

Rocket League: The Game - everything related to Rocket League!

r/RocketLeague Rules