Having weekdays off is like playing an MMO when no one else is online.

3.4k points · 1 year ago

It's great for doing shopping or cycling around as it's so much quieter and more relaxing to take my time instead of battling through crowds of people on a Saturday.

It sucks when trying to make plans though since my friends work more traditional hours

Yes! I love biking up to the grocery store on my weekdays off :)

174 points · 1 year ago

No sure if srs...

199 points · 1 year ago

I'm completely serious.

304 points · 1 year ago

Hi completely serious, I'm T0MERNAT0R

Hi dad

110 points · 1 year ago

Hi son, I'm T0MERNAT0R

Hi FlipStick, I'm onto your shenanigans

Hi onto your shenanigans, I'm drawing this joke out longer than absolutely necessary.

39 points · 1 year ago

Hi drawing this joke out longer than absolutely necessary

I had to do it

4 more replies

7 more replies

37 points · 1 year ago

You're not the same person.

Why do people do that? It's not like there was a punchline you could steal to grab karma. You just said "yes" to another person's question.

I don't know why I did it, I guess

48 points · 1 year ago

Wait you're not me stop stealing my karma

34 points · 1 year ago

I don't understand why people do this. There's no punchline.

Because this is Reddit, where 7 people can have a conversation like it's only 2.

11 points · 1 year ago

But I am OP thrice removed through my second throwaway anonymous account.

23 points · 1 year ago

Okay, sorry I'll stop now.

Thanks, I appreciate it

2 more replies

Because I am reddit. I answer my own questions.

7 points · 1 year ago

It's a reddit thing. People do it all the time.

11 more replies

13 points · 1 year ago

Monday is my only day off and I'll usually walk my dog to the grocery store. We hit up Goodwill and the Salvation Army, swing by Starbucks, then we're off to HEB. It kills a good two hours on an otherwise boring day and the dog is nice and tired so he's not annoying the fuck out of me on my day off.

That's what I did today! I hit up some hole in the wall stores that I always pass by, and found an awesome retro video game shop. Tiny place, but they had a big glass case with sealed SNES games in it. FF3, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger etc. I sat there and talked to the owner for a good half hour.

TL;DR weekdays are cool

It can be great depending on urban planning (or lack thereof in my case) where you live. A lot of people living in dense, walkable cities do several grocery runs per week and carry what they can take on a bicycle. Sounds nice if there's reasonable weather and few people to dodge around.

By contrast, suburban Floridians like myself stockpile a week's worth of groceries from a store several miles away in an air-conditioned car while spending as little time in the swamp-ass outdoors as possible. It's all a matter of context.

4 more replies

I hear you. During fire season i get really random ass days off. I cant make any plans. My days off usually consist of bill paying and drinking alone

103 points · 1 year ago

Welcome to the club. Have a room temp vodka.

52 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

deleted 0.3332 What is ^^^this?

27 points · 1 year ago

You earned it

Is there any other kind?

Cold I think. Then there's hot.

4 more replies

Man I love when I don't have to work on ass days.

3 more replies

94 points · 1 year ago

It's also great for playing MMO's. Weekdays = less people = more farming/grinding

56 points · 1 year ago

Unless it's maintenance day. Which is why I never take Tuesday off.

61 points · 1 year ago

We call that happy hour at my house.

We being me.

1 more reply

When I had Tuesday off it just meant that I stayed up until maintenance then slept while servers were down.

Assuming you play WoW. Unless most games do their down times on Tuesday.

Player base peaks on weekends and when the last timezone finishes Sunday, another timezone begins Tuesday. Some play into the morning, and the service industry's Friday and possibly Saturday are Sunday and Monday respectively. Tuesday with buffer hours accounting for extended play past midnight...

During the lowest population average, often nighttime for the center of the most active timezone, maintenance begins (on a Tuesday)... after the late start weekend, up to a full day buffer, and inactivity, the maintenance is a Tuesday evening.

And boss camping/timing

26 points · 1 year ago

TBF, I love playing MMOs on my own

May I recommend Skyrim? It's like playing an MMO, but you actually are the most important person in the world, and the server has AMAZINGLY low ping.

18 points · 1 year ago

For some reason, I always get just the tiniest bit of lag. This wouldn't be an issue in an MMO, but I get super sucked into Skyrim, and the lag pulls me out

Maybe not good enough card or cpu? Or some strange latency between the monitor or keyboard/mice and the pc?

7 points · 1 year ago

I dunno. I'm building a new PC when I get less horrifically broke. We'll see then

3 points · 1 year ago

Don't get your hopes up. Skyrim is a horrible PC port. Vertical look speed is tied to framerate for some reason....

Maybe the remastered edition is better, but I don't have high hopes honestly.

tied to framerate.

What the actual fuck were they thinking? That makes literally no sense. It is not 1990 anymore folks.

Well, good luck!

3 more replies

6 points · 1 year ago

I remember once leveling a Dranei shaman in WoW. It was fun being level 5 zapping moths and taking in the beautiful scenery. It was great until a quest briefly flew me into the Exodar and I had a look at trade chat

Yeah, I work a 2 week on 2 week off rotation and that part does suck...

Unless you live in the burbs of a city where it's busy no matter what day of the week it is.

5 points · 1 year ago

I'm about to start working sat-mon, in a college town so that'll be fun

1 more reply

We call those daily quests.

Ugh where I live even the weekdays are crazy with tourists and people out and about

21 more replies

1.1k points · 1 year ago

Today I slept in, got a haircut, went to the post office, and went to a movie alone. Weekdays off rule.

Original Poster754 points · 1 year ago

Nothing like doing some quests on the days off eh

55 points · 1 year ago

Best for exp farming. No one to ks your mob.

2 more replies

Reminds me of when my ex started referring to chores as "doing dailies" because that's what she always heard from me when I'd jump on the computer after work.

Maybe she's just using Habitica.

4 more replies

41 points · 1 year ago

What movie did you see?

I need to take a day and go see one. Have never been by myself.

Well I went and saw Stalker today. It was at my neighborhood theater that shows like art house stuff so probably doesn't help you. Recently though I've seen Get Out, Alien: Covenant, and Wonder Woman solo style. All good, but I'd say Alien was probably the best to see alone. Maybe that's just because no one else I would've gone with loves Alien as much as I do though.

29 points · 1 year ago

Why is solo movie so awesome alone. I saw alien cov with a friend we loved it talked a lot about it and had a generally fun time. I was bored one day and decided to see it again alone and i loooved it. I saw wonder woman alone recently too, that was a great day for me. I see a kot of movies alone and enjoy it so so much its so comfortable to just show up with ur refillable cup and a couple bowls of herb in you right when previews begin or end

6 points · 1 year ago

But the ship was full of couples, sounds like a great date movie.

4 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

I feel like given certain events, there are probably better date movies.

Edit: realized spoilers in a thread where I'm recommending a movie that's still in theaters

7 more replies

I'm not OP but I saw Pirates of the Carribean a couple days ago and it was really good

11 more replies

Go see Covenant. We need to get those box office numbers up so they'll make another.

3 points · 1 year ago

Movies are also much less crowded and cheapest on weekdays. It's basically a win-win.

Gonna miss it. Just switched to a M-F schedule this week :(

12 more replies

409 points · 1 year ago

Everything is better on weekdays less crowds everywhere you go

I must be the only person that is always amazed when I take off on a weekday as to how many people are out and about. There's always way more traffic and people than I would have expected to not be working at 2PM on a Tuesday. I even see people running! Who goes running at 2PM on a Tuesday?

People who are at work on Saturday.

20 points · 1 year ago

Students, people who work nights, people who work full weekends, unemployed people, stay at home parents, people who work at home or for themselves, entertainment professionals, etc.

You forgot retired.

2 more replies

You're not alone. Ever so often I have a weekday off and when I stroll into the big chain stores I'm amazed at how many people are there at like, 10 AM on a Wednesday, or whatever. I mean, I'm there by chance because of a slow workday but what about all these other people?

3 more replies

5 points · 1 year ago

Yeah there are still way more people out at 2pm Saturday afternoon.

192 points · 1 year ago

My sentiment exactly. I used to care about having lots of friends. Now I only really want to hang out with the one I married, and the one we made.

32 points · 1 year ago

As someone with a healthy amount of good friends, but no gf/wife and kid, I'm jealous.

As someone with neither of those, I'm jealous.

29 points · 1 year ago

Same I have every other weekend off my wife and u use them to visit family but as far as date nights and days out on the town we always use my days off in the week. Even shopping is better.

Aww.

Same!!!!!!

4 more replies

Skiing.

3 more replies

7 more replies

156 points · 1 year ago

It's totally awesome. I currently have 5 weekdays off and 2 weekend days off.

It really is awesome. At least the first couple months. And then it got horrifying.

39 points · 1 year ago

About to hit my second year. Got laid off in June 2015. I do own a business but I spend very little time there, it's not very much work. Just floating through life like a turd right now.

Comment deleted1 year ago(5 children)

Mr. Jaynus,

I had the same thing happen after I graduated. I was looking for 9 months before I got an offer in my field, and it was a pretty crappy job. After getting 5 years experience in a job I didn't like, plus learning on my own time, I got my foot in the door at my dream job. You might have to take a not-so-great job in your field to start, but as long as you get skills relevant to a field you love in your off-time, you'll get there. It's going to suck for a while, but you'll get there.

Comment deleted1 year ago(0 children)

1 more reply

Lol what in the world kind of business is this?

22 points · 1 year ago

Parking lot company. All was going swell until the seedy british man showed up to collect on the "investment"....

4 points · 1 year ago

Fucking Varga.

Original Poster9 points · 1 year ago

Lmao

Username does not check out

I have one day off every two weeks. Monday :(

185 points · 1 year ago

Can I ask what your profession is? Just genuinely curious about that work schedule

Sounds like a cook.

93 points · 1 year ago

I assumed some sort of dining or small town bartending.

Bartender here with similar hours. Getting to sleep in every day is nice but it sucks when all my 9-5 friends are off and having fun and I'm just going into work

Yupp. Bartending sounds fun until you start doing it haha

It has its moments but it'll wear you down for sure. The lifestyle is... A lot

7 more replies

24 points · 1 year ago

One other thing I would guess is a night shift stocking. Worked at fredmeyers and we would have some weird days off that we would have off for extended periods of time. I wasn't a fan of the job haha.

8 points · 1 year ago

Could very well be a tradie in Australia. A lot of them have RDO's (rostered days off) which is the Monday off every 2nd week.

9 points · 1 year ago

It really can be any work where you work during weekends so you have other days off to make up for it.

36 points · 1 year ago

What stood out to me was only one day off every two weeks

2 points · 1 year ago

That's how I used to work when I was working summers between school semesters. It's draining, but when you work so long without a break it really lets you enjoy those days off.

7 points · 1 year ago

It's the opposite for me. I'm so used to working everyday, when I do get a day off, it feels weird. Like I've forgot how to enjoy a day off.

9 more replies

That's the kind of schedule I've got. Working 2 jobs, and it took all I had to get them to accept that if they scheduled me for them while I was at the other one, I wasn't going to be there, due to my horrifying disability of not being able to be in two places at once. I just enjoy the hell out of every other Monday, and tell myself that the days where I only go to one job are almost as good as a whole day off. Which they aren't, buuut they're all I'm going to get, so...

That sounds miserable ...

4 more replies

1 more reply

I'm currently halfway into 30 day stretch of work with zero days off. seriously. I work in a group home taking care of developmentally disabled adults and in my profession the pay is absolutely abysmal. As a result of this, we are constantly understaffed which causes me to take the workload of probably 3 maybe even 4 people.

I love the disabled people that I work with, really awesome people but I only get $11.25/hour with no possibility of a raise. Seriously, the company does not do raises.

So to make ends meet, I just rack up insane overtime, of course the cost is that I have zero social life, and am definitely single, I can't imagine doing this with a wife and kids at home.

Word of advice, find a new profession. You'll thank yourself later, nothing is worth that kind of shit. You only get one chance at life don't waste it working nonstop.

What this guy said.

Helping others is great. And I'm sure you love your job. But that's a problem. You need to look out for numero uno

21 points · 1 year ago

That's the problem with jobs doing real good - employers who realize there'll always be good-hearted people they can cheaply exploit. Bless ya.

find something else, or youll never have a wife and kids

I just quit my job at a group home because of this. I loved the clients and it was such an amazing job, but the hours were constant and inconsistent plus since everyone was over worked everyone was so bitchy. I lashed out at my boyfriend a few weeks ago after a tough day and I decided I should quit before I lash out at a client. I hope you know you're doing great work and I hope it continues to be worth it for you!

5 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

I used to work in a group home too. Everything you wrote is spot on.

I made the jump to corrections about a year ago. Way better pay and slightly better hours. You should consider it. The transition isn't very hard as you already have many of the skills they are looking for.

1 more reply

My brother works as an engineer at lockheed. He gets every other friday off, but I think he has a slightly longer workday.

20 points · 1 year ago

I also work at Lockheed. We work 8 9-hour days and one 8-hour day over the course of two weeks. It's pretty nice.

A couple of bigger companies in my area do that. My boss and I have been trying to convince our plant manager he should start that. He won't budge though, and expects us to be at the plant from at least 7a-5p everyday. So I'm pretty jealous of guys with the 9/80 schedule.

I'm salaried and often end up with 55-60 hours. Last week in a short 4 day week I got 72 hours. I'm at least getting some comp time for that though.

3 more replies

19 points · 1 year ago

I have half the year off as well as only half weeks when in uni - engineering student. I have so, so much free time that I start to feel sorry for everyone else.

63 points · 1 year ago

You are most definitely doing something very, very wrong if you have that much free time...

10 points · 1 year ago

I go into it a bit in this post, my circumstances led to my experience being pretty easy.

22 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

Maybe the time youre not in class but as a former engineering student my homework and studying more than added up to a full time job

Edit: plus you really should be doing internship in the summer

1 more reply

How to spot an engineer: they'll tell you before you ask.

I'm an engineer and I can confirm this is true.

4 more replies

47 points · 1 year ago

Shift worker here, can relate. The only people out are noob cash shop players (kids with rich parents)and people who've maxed out their levels (old people).

155 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

But unlike playing a dead MMO, you don't get to wander and explore the dead remains of whatever civilization used to inhabit the server.

Clearly you've never blissfully shopped a nearly empty grocery store.

Doesn't matter what day of the week it is, my local Safe way is busy until 10 at night every single day

14 points · 1 year ago

With two registers open and 10 people in each line. Everyone in the express line has close to or more than the max allowed items. One line is being held up by an old lady paying with a personal check and ~27 coupons but she just can't find the one that gives an extra 10 cents off the prune juice.

The other is held up by someone haggling about the price of the produce, trying to pay with an empty EBT card, then asking to buy 2 cartons of cigarettes from the unmanned customer service area with a crisp hundred dollar bill they had in their pocket.

All this is happening while you contemplate walking out of the store with your single gallon of milk. Can their staff of 5 people really stop you?

Oh, grandma decided she didn't want the prune juice and now the cashier needs an override but the only store manager is in the back taking a dump. Fuck the ding dongs that run Safeway.

6 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

2 cartons for $100? What third world country is this?

3 points · 1 year ago

They're full of soccer moms on weekday afternoons.

3 more replies

124 points · 1 year ago

Ah, so it's like playing /r/SWTOR on an east coast server? 🤔

Has it died recently? I used to play and it was pretty populated, but that was a few months ago. Also that subreddit seemed pretty toxic last I went there.

The Harbinger is still running strong, but most of the east coast servers are dead or dieing. They needed to do server mergers like 2 years ago, let alone with how things are now.

However, they recently changed management teams again, so maybe things will change?

The whole thing felt outdated from what I remember. Setting almost everything behind a subscription, and the Knights of the Fallen Empire, the content was too little each month to justify the price.

Yeah, that hasn't changed very much. To boot, on my server (POT5) you can't even PvP or GSF unless you're on at a certain time/day because the Qs don't pop normally. There just aren't enough people around. So, effectively you're paying full price for half the game. I just raid log as a result.

And if you don't shell out $15 a month, you get even less.

Yep, I honestly don't see how they justify their price tag with all the dead servers floating about.

To be honest, I don't feel that bad about the game sinking. I've found other MMOs that actually feel like a game, and have actual replayable stories. Even with the choices you're given in game, I don't think it had any effect on the story at all, just the ending.

9 points · 1 year ago

I've thought Swtor had the most repayable story content of any MMO for years... It's certainly far more than the most successful MMO.

I played the story multiple times before I left, but no matter what I did, the story always ended the same way. Maybe it's time fading my memory, but the same people died every time I played.

ESO would be the only other. I would be still playing SWTOR if they had published quality end game content as well.

List of MMOs? I've been looking for a Star Wars Galaxies kinda MMOs, but I'm stuck with these WoW clones.

7 more replies

4 more replies

59 points · 1 year ago

When I have a weekday off I like to wake up at 3 AM and just drive up and down highways and make lane changes without signaling.

Original Poster33 points · 1 year ago

Wegotabadass.jpeg

This was life for me 3 years ago. Got off at 2:30 am. Just sped home. No cops and no traffic in a smallish city. Red light? Just stop and go since there were no cams.

Lucky you. 3am is when they try 'n catch them dam tweekerz round here.

3 more replies

90 points · 1 year ago

At least the servers aren't congested as shit. It takes about three times as long to load up a mall store on weekends.

3 more replies

Well if you have a friend in retail, you can go visit them. But technically they are an NPC.

I mean, it's nice to see them there, but most of their usual dialogue options are gone while they're in the shop.

1 more reply

Unless you live in an area like I do where apparently no one works but still has money to shop. I get a day off and all the stores are still crowded.

And what sort of area is this?

25 points · 1 year ago

A city, I would guess.

Anywhere big enough to pull in tourists

A rich suburb

6 points · 1 year ago

Same here! I'm always astounded at how busy places are during the week.

A lot of people don't work standard 9-5 shifts

3 points · 1 year ago

If course, I'm on one of them.

I've lived a lot of places. My current locale is the only place with constant crowds seemingly 24/7. It's a memorable difference.

1 more reply

It's the best if you dislike people!

3 more replies

18 points · 1 year ago

This guy doesn't know how to live life. Weekdays off are the best.

Original Poster7 points · 1 year ago

Maybe you just don't know how to play MMOS

3 points · 1 year ago

Maybe. MMOs are worse with less people, right?

13 points · 1 year ago

And there tends to be less people online in MMOs during the weekdays, in the middle of the day.

So if you have a weekday off and play an MMO during the day time you'll literally be playing an MMO when no one else is online while living in a world that feels like an MMO when no one else is online.

I had the day off today and spent it at the pool, which I had all to myself.

9 points · 1 year ago

I work 4x10s, so I have tues and wed off and it's the best thing ever. I get so much done during the week. Doctor appointments, shopping, pretty much anything or anywhere where crowds normally would be, I get to do without the crowds. Movies are great on a weekday!

I'm on a 9-80 with every other Friday off, it's incredible. I sleep in until a completely unacceptable time and forget to do laundry.

2 more replies

I get Thursdays and weekends off. 90% of all 3 days are spent sleeping. 50 hours in 4 days is grueling.

2 more replies

Stay at home dad here. This is very true.

Less crowd is equivalent to no lag in MMO.

No seats available in restaurants/public transportation is equivalent to server is full, please try again later.

I would love to have a job 😔

Having weekdays off is LITERALLY playing an MMO when no one's on.

1 more reply

I'm a mailman and I work basically every day.

Memorial Day was really nice, because there were so few people on the roads and everyone I talked to on the route was SUPER appreciative & thankful when I gave them packages.

Sundays are also nice, because it's just giving people their Amazon stuff and again, they're usually pretty happy about it. And no traffic, but my little city doesn't really have traffic to speak of, anyway.

Laundry and shopping are so awesome during the week. All the machines are always open, no lines or crowds at the store. It's so nice!

4 points · 1 year ago

New york city on work holidays is amazing, you could really think it is a different place

Only if you have friends, otherwise it's just another day on my own like normal.

It's pretty different even if you don't have tons of friends. You don't have to battle with crowds on weekdays if you want to go shopping, go get food, run errands, go hiking or go see a movie, go to the library or museum - all things you can do alone. It's way better. Also the traffic on weekends is lighter when you do actually have to go to work.

3 points · 1 year ago

Personally I love it. You get the world with a fraction of the population. It sucks for making plans with the normies though

4 points · 1 year ago

Love running errands or going to places that are usually crowded during non business hours.

I can get in and get out without any disruption and I usually get better service since I am their sole focus.

The gym is also a glorious place to visit when few people are there you can just slam through a workout without having to wait around for other people to get off machines and shit

3 points · 1 year ago

In new zealand, When You play an mmo on your weekday, there are tonnes of people online!

fuck that, you can get SO MUCH shit done on a tuesday if you have a weekday off.

Working overnights in a small town with no nightlife is like playing a Gameboy with no sound and Tetris only.

Gym is easy mode weekdays off. Private gym! Also movies! Like 4 other people in a theatre? Oh also cheaper flights!! Travel on a Wednesday? Flights cheaper.

2 more replies

Then you challenge yourself too see how many times you can masturbate in one day. Best I got was 5 before it was a challenge to just keep it up.

3 points · 1 year ago

I had Wednesday off this week...no kids...no body to entertain or talk to....I just drank coffee and listened to records on my new record player....it was fucking awesome!

3 points · 1 year ago

Working every day is like getting server banned..

3 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

Being on-call is like having a poor connection.

As a teacher I agree.

This is also a perk of being a homeschooled kid. Vacations, movies, going to the park, all can be planned for when other kids are in school.

Yeah so much this. Monday/Tuesday weekender here.

I have no days off. Working my ass off to support my stay at home pregnant gf. Eventually when she returns to work (or starts getting some kind of income) I'll ask for Mon/Tues off, but until den she'll just be home alone and I'll be working redditing my ass off.

2 points · 1 year ago

No, working on a weekend is like playing an MMO when no one else is online.

2 points · 1 year ago

this is the feeling night owls experience everyday

2 points · 1 year ago

Quite literally. I get home and hop on a game and no one is online.

Living where I do, it's more like the weekday is playing the MMO. Having the weekend off is like trying to play the hotly anticipated brand new mmo, and the servers are crashing, so you can't go do what you want to without waiting forever.

(This is what traffic does to me.)

2 points · 1 year ago

Having weekdays off is a good time to play an MMO

This is funny cause I play mmos on my weekdays off

2 points · 1 year ago

Especially when you use that day off to play an mmo when no one else is online...

I laughed out loud at this because I can't imagine having a day off and not immediately filling it with doctors appointments, neglected chores, getting groceries, sleeping in after weeks of insomnia, or something like that. I'm envious of the lifestyle where the main concern with a day off is being bored rather than collapsing on your bed and wondering whether you'll be able to sleep when you're dead

3 more replies

2 points · 1 year ago

I work from home now and sometimes do a bit of shopping during the week. I did not realize how different it would be. Old people feel safe coming out into the world during the day so drivers beware. You also get to see tons of people that don't have jobs and it's super obvious they are just sneaking through life. Sometimes it's a bit depressing.

I just quit my job as a server. I hadn't had a Friday or a Saturday off in 9 months. I keep accidentally turning down offers when People ask me if I wanna hang out on Saturday because it became a reflex lol

178 more replies

A subreddit to share anything that goes on in your head whilst in the shower.

r/Showerthoughts Rules
No Unoriginal/Common Thoughts

All content must be original. Unoriginal or reposted content will be removed.

No Puns/Wordplay
No Jokes/Pro-Tips
No Shower "Observations"
No Politics/Religion
Being a jerk/uncivil
Bigotry, hate speech, or harassment
Use of the text box is strictly forbidden

The text box cannot be used for any reason, including edits.

Comment directed at reposting

You should be reporting reposts and nothing else. Don’t comment! Don’t do it.